Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires

Comments

• larry175larry175 Member Posts: 68
    ARRRRGGG!!! You didn't buy tires from BMW did you. eh. too bad. Just chuck em and go to tire rack.
    Listen to me who is riding on a set of Bridgestones on my 09 335xi or ix, whatever.
    But I have three take off rft's from my 06 that I got rid of. One of them is going to be riding buddy in the trunk. Just in case.
  • carmiccarmic Member Posts: 5
    No, I'm tirerack all the way ... just amazed at the number of folks I've read on this forum who have bought from BMW!
  • dkg42dkg42 Member Posts: 11
    4 Weeks ago I ditched the piece of crap EL42's, this was my second set, plus 2 additional replacements due to nails. 39,000 miles and 10 EL42's later, I went with a GFT set of Michellin Pilot A/S tires.

WOW..what a great ride.. Smooth, quiet and wonderful cornering
  • rprice1rprice1 Member Posts: 9
    Identical to my experience! With the set of Michelin Pilot A/S the car now rides like the car I thought I was buying.

Rprice
  • sleipnirsleipnir Member Posts: 1
    Hi-

I've now followed the run flat discussion (for 2 days!) with interest. have a 6-speed 2006 330i with cold weather, premium, and sport packages bought 2 yrs ago. Came with Bridgestone Potenza run flat 225s in front and 255s in the back, all on 18" rims. I have not noticed the tramlining or road noise issues others have griped about. I bought the tire warranty w/the car, so after the initial deflation for that, punctures have stopped puncturing my wallet.

The issue is "winter" driving (30 mi roundtrip-- mainly highway commute) and some kiddie transport when not in the family Subaru. DC has a couple of snows and ice storms a year--storms may be more of wifely origin for driving the kids on tires that ARE worthless in 2 in of snow. I was looking at getting 17" rims and then all season tires- But the service manager said that people w/this car (I shoulda gotten an Xi!) who swapped out for all season tires have not really found it improved handling on snow or ice.

Any SPECIFIC advice on "winter" rubber for Dec to March?? I've heard (here) people suggest the Conti Pro runflats--but if the basic premise is that "go flats" are an inherently better design for winter traction (with more options to choose from), I could tolerate a doughnut, jack and compressor in the trunk. Experience *(good or bad) w/any swaps would be great. I'd consider real snow tires but assume this would mangle the handling.

Thanks-

"Sleipnir"
  • pontonguypontonguy Member Posts: 1
    We bought a new 2006 330I and have 26K miles with original RFT tires and are just now replacing them. I agree they are rough riding. $600 for the front and $800 for the rear at National Tire & Battery (NTB). My 2007 Silverado P.U. rides better.
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    The Bridgestone LM-22 RFT on a 16" rim is an excellent choice for the 325/328; unfortunately it's not avaliable on 17" rims, required for your vehicle. How about Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP or Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero RFTs?

I can say that LM-22 gets me up a hill outside my office parking lot without fuss where base 325i's on EL42 all seasons struggle. The LM-22s handle wet snow, slush and freezing rain well.

I can't speak for the Michelins or Pirellis, but I would go to a winter tire rather than an all season tire if I planned to switch seasonally. The right winter tire should leave you not regretting your choice of the RWD car over the compromised and heavier 4WD alternative.
  • jimc1948jimc1948 Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 328 with 19K miles has worn out run flats and lots or road noise. Has anyone had luck getting BMW to replace the run flats (Turanza EL42 205/55R16 91H RFT) on 2007 328i? If so how did you convince BMW to replace? It seems to me the OEM tires should go longer than 19K. thx
  • Sophie26Sophie26 Member Posts: 3
    Help...I just noticed my front RFT (Bridgestone) tires have wear on the inside edge. I only have 19,000 miles and can't believe I need to replace them so soon. I basically drive to the train and back each day (40 miles) very little wear and tear, so I was very surprised to see the balding so soon. I've had the car for 1-1/2 years and it is leased. If I replace them with the Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires (I've read on this site that they are a good choice) will I have a problem when I turn the car in at the end of my lease in 2010 because I no longer have RFT on the car? Is changing the type of tire the best thing to do? What other problems might I find (do I need new rims to do this?). Thanks for any advice.
  • bemerbemer Member Posts: 20
    Thank you. This link is very helpful.
    I am just getting ready to replace my OEM Bridgestone RFTs on 2006 325i with Michelin Primacy MXV4 RFT, so that is an RFT option.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I am just getting ready to replace my OEM Bridgestone RFTs on 2006 325i with Michelin Primacy MXV4 RFT, so that is an RFT option.

Hmmm, that's odd, per the Michelin and TireRack web sites, there is no such a thing as a Micheliin Primacy MXV4 RFT. As far as I know, the only versions of that tire currently on the market are GFTs. Do you have a link to a site that is selling an RFT version?

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Just go to tirerack and keyword search Michelin Primacy HP ZP ... also found on michelinman website!
    A summer tire, rather than an all-season. From reading the blurb, Michelin appears to be pushing its ability to deform more easily (presumably than other self supporting tires) and to keep cooler when running zero pressure (presumably to allow repairs after having been run in a deflated state?)
    Just go to tirerack and keyword search Michelin Primacy HP ZP ... also found on michelinman website!

Please understand that the Primacy HP series tires (RFT and GFT alike) are very different tires than the Primacy MXV4 (you originally posted about and which as I previously stated are only available as a GFT). The most obvious differences are that the HP ZPs are good for maybe 20,000 miles while the MXV4s will last more like 50,000 miles, and if you live in a snowy area, the HP ZPs are almost guaranteed to put you into a guard rail, snow bank or ditch when conditions get slippery.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • bmwincabmwinca Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2007 BMW 328i sedan with about 17-18 K miles on it. After dropping it off recently for scheduled servicing, the dealer informed me that my rear tires are entirely worn down and are now completely smooth, without a tread. I stopped by the dealer an confirmed that the tires are in fact completely worn down. I have the sport package, so the tires are Bridgestone Potenza 050A II run flats.

My question relates to my options moving forward. This obviously comes as a big surprise in having to replace the tires for a car that is relatively new with low mileage. Do I have any recourse in going directly to BMW or to Bridgestone in getting at least partial support for the replacement?

Thanks.
    Given that you have the Sport Package, no, you have no recourse. Why? Summer performance tires rarely last 20,000 miles on any car regardless of which manufacturer built it. If you are willing to give up some performance during the summer months, then you can opt for some All-Season GFTs for your car, and they will last roughly twice as long as the OEM tires that came on your car.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    well, i live in florida, so no problem with snow & ice! and i prefer to keep rft on vehicle, so options limited. bridgestone (and didn't like the bridge oems), cooper, pirelli or michelin looks to be about it ...
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Continental are your best bet. ContiPro Contact SSR RFT.

Regards,
    OW
    Wouldn't that be the ContiSportContact 2 SSRs for the Sport Suspension? There's a comment on TireRack about the rear tires being hard to obtain -- not sure how pertinent but worth considering.

Having driven the base 328i with ContiProContact SSRs and Bridgestone EL42s, I found myself preferring the Bridgestones -- perhaps a slightly harsher ride but more responsive.
  • jackh4161jackh4161 Member Posts: 3
    My wife is buying a 2006 330 XI premium package but not the sport package. We love the car but with all the chatter across the forums about RFT tires we obviously have to figure what to do when we need new tires. One question I have is if we decide to not replace with RFT tires and go with a spare could the spacesaver spare cause any damage to the fulltime all wheel drive and DTC system since the wheel size is different. :confuse:

Thanks
  • johnsamjohnsam Member Posts: 55
    Hi "Jack"...John here.
    I have written/replied to many articles regarding the run flats on BMWs. As a matter of fact, I have argued back and forth with BMW North America about the fact that they allow such a poor tire to be installed on such a fine car. Let me define "poor". The original equipment Bridgestones have a wear rating of "1", the lowest possible wear rating. A BMW salesman once told me that the "1" rating allowed for better adhesion to the road. I don't argue that (for lack of knowledge) but I suppose a marshmellow would have better adhesion. Wouldn't last long though.
    My original RFTs (Bridgestones) on my 2006 330i (with Sports Package) lasted 24,000+ miles. I have now had the new set (4) for 12 months and have 34,000+ miles. At ten thousand miles, they are showing wear and I would suspect that I will get another 12,000 - 15,000 miles out of them.
    Another BMW salesman told me, and I quote, "Anyone who buys the Sports Package is considered one who will drive fast." .....BULLS__ __T. I am 65 and my wife is 60. We do not drive the car hard, This is not our 1st BMW. We know how they drive and their capibilities.
    Getting back to what I should be talking about, I carry a spare in the trunk even with the RFTs. Why?
    I live in the Springfield / Eugene Oregon area. If I had a flat (no matter what the reason) I could not get the proper RFT here. It would have to come from Portland, Oregon with a MINIMUM wait of a day+. Check your area for availability. You may be surprised. I carry a "donut" type tire eventhough it takes up space in the trunk. Enough said here about my trust in the RFTs.
    Recapping: BMW made a cost cutting measure when they installed the RFTs.
    1.) They no longer had to supply a spare tire /rim.
    2.) They passed along the "extra" cost of RFTs to the client (a normal procedure).
    3.) They used Bridgestones (with the 1 wear rating) as that was the lowest bid they received for a tire that met their requirements.
    4.) They no longer had to supply a car jack nor related tools.

All cars will probably end up with RFTs in the near future. Perhaps then they will become readily available. (Get cought in a remote highway situation. What then?)
    The same BMW salesman's answer........"Get BMW assist on the phone and they will send out a free truck". HUH??????? Over 50 miles? HUH????? in mountainous areas not accessed by cell phones nor BMW assist in the car?

I'm not saying RFTs do not drive nicely. Mine do. But I am saying that when they wear out this time, I will consider a "3 - 4" wear rated tire and not a RFT.
    Thanks John. Looks like availability here in Pittsburgh PA is not too bad. I will at the least get the BMW inflator kit or make one up for her or will get a spare. She works 6 hours from here in Louisville KY and makes the drive about every other weekend. Tires will be an expense with this car but they aren't cheap for any car anymore and I like some of the safety features of this car. I'll likely opt for softer tires with a better traction rating in all season tread just due to the likelihood of snow through the Ohio valley for about 5 of the 12 months. Thats why we opted for the XI anyway. It will probably be better than her old Mitsubishi Eclipse turbo AWD that she used to drive and If it gets real bad she can use my Jeep.
  • lehrer1lehrer1 Member Posts: 54
    Hi John
    I have 06 325i.
    Good article, I am 100% with you.
    Best regards, Igor
  • IHATERUNFLATSIHATERUNFLATS Member Posts: 2
    In March 07' - I leased a 2007 BMW 328i sedan with the RF's Bridgestone Teuranza EL42 & was talked into the Easy Care Warrant for approx. $500 (which is garbage by the way). The noise started around 5k miles so I took the car in on 03.26.08 & of the dealer said the tires were fine. No mention of the bulletin!!!

I was unaware of the "Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)" #10026984 dated 09.01.07. Anyway, on 01.22.09 I took the car in for service with 10,326 miles & a list of items (tire noise still on the list). Long story short: the service advisor told me I need to replace the tires (per service bulletin) & BMW would pay 50%. Why not 100% I asked, ...well you are over 10k miles and that is the policy. Hey I am only over by 326 miles cut me some slack - NO WAY!!! The policy is 10k miles. The dealer said they were doing me a favor since not only were they paying for 1/2 of the tire cost they were paying 100% of labor & installation. Bull crap! Also, as part of this drama my car needs an alignment - cost $150...

Talk about being irritated - cannot describe it! If only I had known about this TSB -certainly I would have taken the car in before it hit 10k miles. Who wouldn't!!! Give me a break....my issue with the dealer, BMW Corp. and Bridgestone: I received NO NOTICE that these tires were under a TSB, defective or whatever. Of course I made several calls, spun my wheels & ended up angry each time! The dope at Bridgestone was the worse yet. So anyway, after going back & forth...bottom line -I paid the $511 for the 2 tires and got 2 for free - so to speak. Same f___g tires though & could not get any other brand. Also, I told them I am not paying for the alignment and they finally agreed after much noise.

Based upon my research, these blogs on autoforum.com & edmunds, perhaps we have a class action as clearly these RF's tires from Bridgestone were NOT RIGHT from day one; BMW knows about it & continues to put them / sell them on their vehicles. I am not letting this go! If anyone out there has additional input please respond.
  • rflrfl Member Posts: 100
    My new BMW(330xi) came equipped with the Conti Pro Contacts...since when I ordered it I said I would NOT accept delivery with the Bridgestone tires. These tires are GREAT! My last one had the wretched Bridgestones and my dealer replaced all four of them with 8K miles at NO CHARGE with Contis. This seams to be at the dealer's discretion. If I were you, I would replace the tires with the Conti's at my own expense---probably about $600-$700(tirerack.com) and then I would sue the dealer and BMW in my local small claims court for the $$ spent in replacing the Bridgstones and the new Contis.. It'll cost you $50 or less in costs and believe me, they probably won't even defend it. Arguing with the dealer or BMW is like talking to a chair. I think if you bring that action you'll get your $$ back and have a little fun with them as well. It'll sure get their attention! Don't know where you live, but here I find the local small claims courts are VERY consumer friendly and businesses hate them. It's worth the shot. Forget the class action nonsense...only the lawyers make any $$ in those. If more people took the small claims route instead, BMW might get the message.
    The dealer said they were doing me a favor since not only were they paying for 1/2 of the tire cost they were paying 100% of labor & installation.

end quote

I guess they think people can't read..They submit the claim to BMW and it is paid to them per the following on this TSB

All claims submitted in conjunction with this SI will be paid at the following rates:

100% part and labor reimbursement as noted below, up to 10,000 miles on the tire.

50% part and 100% labor reimbursement, from 10,001 to 20,000 miles on the tire.

Defect Code
    36 12 93 57 00

I guess I need to subscribe to a service so I can check on and read all TSB's
  • IHATERUNFLATSIHATERUNFLATS Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advise. I live in Palm Beach County, FL and will pursue a small claims action as that make more sense than dealing with lawyers.
  • texas612texas612 Member Posts: 2
    John:
    Thanks for sharing your information with me. I got a 2007 328i with 25k miles. I just got a nail on the sidewall. I took it to Les Swab and they told me to leave it alone. When I called the BMW dealer, they told me that I need new tires. I was shocked to hear that RFT wears so darn fast. I am reading about RFT and I am thinking about changing to non-RFT. Did you find any tires that you would recommend that is not RFT for this car? Anybody else have any experiences. Thanks.
    HI "texas612"............John here
    I am astounded that Les Swab would tell you to ingore a nail in the sidewall !!!! I would get that in writing before the accident so I could go after Swab in a court of law. Highway driving would be my concern. However I have heard that there is no way to repair a sidewall "nail" in RFTs. I do not know that for a fact, only heard that.
    On the otherhand, depending how many miles are on the present tire, wonder if a can of the COMMERCIAL instant hole patch would be cheaper (the type you insert through the valve stem). So endith my unknowlegable advise.
    Now for the research I did on non-RFTs.
    First I priced out new RFT (I have Sports package therefore different sized front/rear tires). Because the rears were so expensive vs the front, the installed package came in at about $1,200.00 (Bridgestones) (Lucky no tax here in Oregon). Pricing same quality but not RFs, Bridestones, I could save $500.00+. Sorry, my thoughts as I collected all the data etc. was that I am going to do nothing until they wear out AGAIN, so all the info will be "old" by then.
    I found that the cheapest tires no matter weather they were RFs or conventional, were found at local "Mom & Pop" shops rather than Les Swab (now that Les is deceased) OR Tire Rack (or the like) on the Net and have them delivered and installed locally.
    KEEP ONE THING IN MIND: LOOK FOR THE "WEAR RATING" NUMBER ON THE SIDEWALL. Most tires BMW blessed the unknowing buyer with are rated "1", the lowest rating possible. The conventional Bridgestones I mention above, were rated "4" (4 x the available wear). As I recall, the "Mom & Pop" shop (been in business for 23 years in Springfield, Oregon) who told me this advised that the RIDE on the "4" rated tires would be better than the softer "1" rated RFTs as the walls on the RFTs are much harder.
    My apologies. I have not been much help. The RFTs that are on the car now (only have 10,000+ miles on them) are fine (SO FAR!!!). I carry a "donut" spare even though it takes up trunk space. It's the unavailability of the RFTs (would take 1-2 days to get) that scares me. Get out on the highway, pass through a few smaller towns/Cities, what then? Your dead! Perhaps in the coming years, that will change as more and more cars switch to RFs.
    My research will start again as my Daughter in Folsom California drives the same car (330i with Sports Package) and she will require new tires shortly. She got 32,000 miles out of her first set. (I got 24,000+. She wants me to buy them here and ship them to her to save the California Sales & Recycle Taxes.
    I wish you well friend. This is a problem to those BMW drivers who have RFTs and a cost cutting measure for BMW.
    Stay save and look after that sidewall puncture.
    John
  • docsride2docsride2 Member Posts: 3
    Have 07 328i wagon w sports package and Bridgetone run flat tires, 16 k miles. The car rides terrible, very stiff, my teeth rattle over minor bumps and I go airborne over railroad tracks. I was ready to trade the car and take a bath on the depreciation but came across this forum. Will changing the tires or anything else (springs, shocks etc) make my ride more smooth? I may have made a mistake getting the sports package. What do you recc for all season regular tires on my present rims?
  • md07328ximd07328xi Member Posts: 1
    I've been sucked in by BMW dealer sales and then chewed up by their service technician. I was told by the service technician that my tires had excessive wear on the inside and outside on both front tires. I didn't know this was a common problem and didn't want to face having to replace them with only 17K miles. I went back at 21K and asked if there was any extended warranty or replacement assistance being offered. No help from them!

I feel like BMW is going the way of the USA - "quality" is a thing of the past. I really feel bad about this because I was on a roll having purchased my last three cars from BMW over the last 10 years.

I just want to know what I need to do at this point. Is there really any help coming from BMW or Bridgestone ? I'm now at 25K and must do something. My front tires are "bald" on the edges.

Can I replace the two fronts with non-RFT's? I've heard different stories from needing to replace all 4 with RFT's only - rims won't work for anything else, to do what ever you want. Can someone give me the straight scoop about replacing these tires. I'll handle replacing BMW!!
    The straight scoop:

1) Replace four tires the same time (unless you're using the same make and model of tires, then you should usually replace them one axle at a time)

2) Your rims work perfectly well with RFTs and GFTs, so no worries, go to TireRack.com, pick a new set of skins and mount'em up.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    I have feelings for what you are going through. I had to replace the original set after 25,000 miles. On top of that, I have the Sport Package which severely drives up the cost because of the larger rear tires.
    As far a the rims are concerned, I have chrome rims from the "M" series and have been told by seceral tire professionals that I can replace the tires with either RFTs or conventionals.
    You sound like a BMW lover (as I am) (well maybe not in total re the stupidity of BMW's RFT policy). If the rear tires are "good", one thing you may want to consider is replacing all 4 tires with whatever you decide upon, and privately selling the rears. OR look for a good set of used fronts
    John keeing the rears.
    You should know by now that BMW never concedes that it may be wrong.
    This was a cost cutting measure, and nothing else. Who ever heard of putting a tire with a wear rating of ! (the lowest / poorest) on a "quality" car?
    John
    Cost cutting measure?

The RE050A is a performance tire which trades wear for stickiness.
    No one is arguing that the RFTs are performance tires, but think about it on what was saved by BMW by making this move.
    On the + side ro BMW: The additional cost of the RFs was passed on to the vehicle purchaser, not absorbed by BMW.
    They also saved on, not having to supply tire changing tools including but not limited to a jack / tire wrench etc. Did you see any price reduction?
    Where did the spare tire and rim go? Price reduction? No! A dizzy dealer rep told me that a spare could not be put in the "square" spare tire cavity. If it was made round, the exhaust syetem would have to be altered. DAH. Therefore no spare. Little did he know that some of are privy to (through very close friends) BMW manufacturing costs.

On the - side. What - side? (to BMW). Again the customer pays for their follies.

I should not be knocking them as the BMWs presently owned are not my 1st BMWs and probably will not be my last. I still have them on my 330i but on the 6....well?

Stay safe

John
  • gbs1gbs1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm trying decide between a Audi A4 3.2 quattro and a BMR 328i. Ideally I'd want to keep it 6-10 years. I currently don't put that many miles on the car, but you never no if things will change. Is the Audi Q4 reliable enough, it seems like it has some reliability issues from the message boards. Meanwhile, it seems the BMW has some tire issues. I like the idea of the Audi better (seems like everyone and their grandmother has a BMR), but the issues people bring up scare me. Also does anyone know if you can get year-round tires for these vehicles? I prefer not to change tires each season.
  • luckyme1luckyme1 Member Posts: 29
    I have the 335i convertible with those worthless Bridgestones. I took to dealer at just over 10K miles to complain about these awful tires. They ran their hands over them and said "yep they have cupping, and 1 front tire has a slight sidewall bulge, could be where the noise is from". I have the additional wheel tire protection, and asked what they would do about this. Reply was " we will replace the tire with the bulge, and BMW recognizes the issue with all these RFT tires, but won't replace the tires". So, away I went with 1 new tire. Still lots of noise and terrible ride. Bulge was not issue.
    I have suffered through another 10K miles (always hating the noise and ride quality) and will now replace these crap tires with non RFT like Michelin Primacy MXV4 GFT's. I guess I will just carry a couple cans of good sealant, as there is no room for any spare in the convertible trunk. I'll be turning the car in (leased it) next year, so I hope the non RFT do not cause an issue.

Bottom line: This is my third, and last BMW. Matter of fact, due to BMW's handling of these cars with the Bridgestone RFT's, they lost an opportunity of selling another car last month,as my wife did not want a BMW due to the terrible ride & noise of my car. So she got a new Infinity, and had the dealer replace the OEM Bridgestones with Michelins. Sorry BMW, you have lost another one, or 2 customers. Never again. :mad:
    Oh my gosh! Never did think of the convertible NOT having enough trunk room for a "Donut" spare as I carry. Wow....another problem.
    I really feel sad that, especially in today's economy, that BMW does not recognize that there are BMW customers that are leaving for other makes (such as you have and will be doing) because of poor quality (NO quality) RFTs on a quality car. They have simply turned their backs, as you have found out. Where was I when you got your "additional wheel tire protection"? You are probably lucky to have received anything. Guess they figured the bulge was a defect but the other wear was commonplace.
    I am surprised that someone has not instituted a class action against BMW. Guess we all bite the bullet when it happens to us not realizing the vast scope of the problem.
    Good article "luckyme"..................John
    You will have a problem when you turn in your car at the end of the lease. You must return it with "similar" tires (RFTs...they don't have to be Bridgestone). If you replace with non-RFT that will be an issue (I called BMW USA and that's what they said)
  • NeworUsedNeworUsed Member Posts: 6
    I am thinking about getting a 09 BMW 3-series and while I was building one over at their website, I choose the Sports Package mainly because of how it looks(that steering is sweet) as well as how fun it must be to drive it. So I was reading the brochure and in fine print it says and I quote:

"Run-flat tires do not come equipped with a spire tire. Due to low-profile tires, please note: wheels, tires and suspension part are more susceptible to road hazard and consequential damages. Performance tires not recommended for driving in ice and snow."

Now, I am currently shopping around for the best deal and one dealer which I am in contact through e-mail, basically didn't even have the sport package in the offer after I inquired about the performance tires, In fact I asked him if I could get regular or all-season tires instead, he said I would have to buy spare tires and like I said, he excluded the sports package from the offer. If I could get the sports package with better tires then I would pursue it however I starting to think it will be more trouble then it should be.

Also that is a troubling quote for us who live in the US, our roads are full of pot holes and garbage, BMW should probably reconsider RFT especially if they are rated as low as many on here are reporting.
  • texas612texas612 Member Posts: 2
    NeworUsed:

I have a 2007 328i with Sport package. I must say I love the way it handles. It is my 1st BMW so am really impressed until....I got a nail on my tires.

BMW has RFT. The Bridgestone RFT on terrible. They last about 10-15k. I was shocked. To replace all 4 costs about $900-1000. Another thing is that since it is Sport package, the front and back tires are different size. So you can not rotate them. I decided to go with non RFT. I just got Michelin Sport All Season tires for $900 at Costco. It runs so much better than the Bridgestone. The only thing is that they are not RFT so I have to carry a repair kit with a pump. Oh yeah, the reason I got Michelin is that it warranty to 45k miles. This is way better than having to change it every 15k miles. Hope that helps. I guess if you are wealthy, RFT is the way to go. I can't imagine having to change new tires every 1-1.5 years. Good luck,
  • NeworUsedNeworUsed Member Posts: 6
    Now what about 08 or 09? Is BMW doing the same thing with the RFT or wasn't some sort of defect that Bridgestone had in 07 which should been fixed over a course two of years.
  • larry175larry175 Member Posts: 68
    I had a 2006 with rft. Threw them away at 22000 miles. One nail and two blowouts.
    I have a 2009 335ix and so far 5000 miles all is ok. The tires are Bridgestone something or other but they are rated 300 and the old ones were rated at 100. But if you need tires get a spear and jack set.
    ciao for now
    Have checked with local dealer 2x over past year (and looked at RFTs in showroom). BMWs practice still in effect. Salesman was shocked (or appeared to be) when I showed him the low "1" wear rating on the sidewall.
    Check with your local dealer as each has the option of changing to whatever wear rated tire they wish (as long as they advise the purchaser and receive written ok prior to sale of a new vehicle). Used vehicles are anyones guess.
    Your absolutely right. I contacted the dealer and was told that I must put run flats on, and from the 3 approved by BMW before turning in a lease? Bridgestones, Michelin or Conti's. Otherwise, the dealer must install them before selling, and I would have to pay.
    Wish I would have known all this before getting that sport package. I am so dissapointed with this car due to the tire situation.
    Keep in mind that the Sport Package equipped BMWs have always included Summer Performance Tires, and by "always" I mean since way-way before RFTs came on the scene. What that means is that tire life of 15,000 to 25,000 miles has been the norm for SP cars for a very long time. FWIW, this issue isn't limited to just BMW by the way; if you order an Audi, or an Infiniti, or a Lexus, or a Mercedes-Benz... (you get the idea) with Performance tires, you'll get the opportunity to replace the rubber fairly frequently as well.

Folks who've opted to lease BMWs (Sport Package equipped or no) who object to the RFTs, are frequently driving on the factory tires for say 10,000 miles, and then switching to GFTs until just prior to lease end. At that point the put the factory rubber back on and they're good to go for the turn-in of the car.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    That would have been a better way to go, but I missed that sensible solution. I got the sport package, just because I liked to look. Since I'm not an agressive driver, that was a mistake on my part. The 335i Convertable is my 3rd BMW car (I've had 2 BMW K1200LT motorcycles, and thier OEM tires were terrible as well).
    Live and learn.
    Luckyme (But not this time)