Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires

Comments

• johnsamjohnsam Member Posts: 55
    BMW = WONDERFUL TO EXPERIENCE
    RFT's ON BMWs = VERY FRUSTRATING - - - EXPENSIVE EXPERIENCE

Since new (2006 330i - all options except sunshades) (now nearing 48/9,000 miles) I have gone through 2 sets of Bridgestones and I will not go through another. This 66 year old does not drive hard (although I may speed a bit :) ). Love the car and will look at the 2011's when that NEW model 330 series is introduced. Depending on how it looks, I would buy another with the provision that Michelins are installed AT NO COST to me or the warranty. (Tires are not warrantied by BMW anyway).
    When new I equipped the car with a "donut" spare / electric jack and tools as I was concerned that the RFT may experience a flat and no larger rear tire be available. I have to admit I have never had to use the spare nor have I experienced a puncture.
    I feel that BMW has done an injustice to it's customers. How many are people that have no idea what RFT is and would not even think of asking? Nor would they research RFTs before committing such an expense?

ONLY MY HUMBLE OPINION AND EXPERIENCE with 2 sets of Bridgestone RFTs.

John Griffiths
    Springfield, Oregon
  • ffxjackffxjack Member Posts: 47
    I was very close to closing the deal on the G37x but couldn't quite pull the trigger. I test drove that, the Lexus IS250 and BMW 335xi and the only one that really was fun to drive was the BMW. However, the salesman gave me a price that would be about $250/month more than the Infiniti. Also, now I'm reading that their oil changes are every 3750mi with the synthetic esther oils which really will increase the maintenance costs and time hassles...may as well try to go for the BMW.

Now, if I can find a dealer that will give me a reasonable price without the Bridgestones before the holiday incentive runs out tomorrow.

Just for clarifications, what should I ask them for if I refuse the Bridgestones. A quick internet search actually priced the Continental ProContact SSR RFT to be cheaper than the Bridgestones.
  • bigkevbigkev Member Posts: 33
    TELL THEM that you insist on Continentals! They won't lose a deal because of that and all they do is swap them from another car because they land with either Bridgestones or Continentals fitted. I live in Australia and I have had experience with both brands and have posted my findings. The Bridgestones are also dearer here, but I don't know why because they are CRAPPP!!! and mine were made in POLAND. I found out from a BMW salesman that a deal was done and Bridgestone built a factory in Poland to make runflats especially for BMW. The Continentals are 100% better. I agree about the Lexus - went through the same exercise a couple of times and having owned 2 lexus GS models and wanted a smaller car it would be the go, but after driving around for a few hours it got very cramped feeling and the seats were real uncomfortable. Also had a "bumpy'' ride.
    Nissan don't sell the infiniti here anymore (used to) and their best car is called the Maxima, which is very good and cheapest of the three but they want all Nissans serviced every 6 months. A complete ripoff! I do very low mileage and the Beema will go for 18 months to 2 years between services, and the costs are also a ripoff but not as bad as some cars. Hope you work it out. Kev :)
  • radcarradcar Member Posts: 1
    An addition to the many complaints. I have a 2006 325xi with sport package. The Bridgestone original tires were noisy, harsh. A slow leak from a puncture at four months was evaluated by the dealer as not fixable, as it would void the warranty. As they had no replacement in stock, and the warranty seemed worthless if I had to replace the tire, I had it plugged at a tire store - problem solved. By 7,500 miles, the tires were so noisy, the dealer replaced them. The second set had to be replaced at about 17,000 because of the noise. This time I got the Continentals. Fortunately, the dealer (P & W in Pittsburgh) was very honest, and my only monetary cost was the mounting of the 3rd pair. These only lasted 15,000 before wearing out. While I corner hard on winding Pittsburgh hills, and average 80-85 on the highway, I don't stess the car. The dealer claims this is average life for these all season tires because they are high performance. I consider that pretty low performance, especially for over $1,000 a set.
    2006 330i All options except sun shades (including Sports Pack)
    First set lasted 24,000. At that time they were so worn and noisy that they were replaced with same tires. (Bridestone's) Second set now at 46,000 and should be replaced probably May-June.
    As you know the Sports Package tires cannot be rotated so replacement is the rule.

UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED should be stamped on these tires.

Probably wiill look at other car makes this Spring.

66 year old BMW lover but who hired the tire buyer?
  • justchillin27justchillin27 Member Posts: 10
    how much does it cost now for a RFT on a 06 325i? are the RFT more expensive than other tires?
  • justchillin27justchillin27 Member Posts: 10
    can you just change the RFT's to Non-RFTs? and what else are the other problems you can tell me about the 06 325i..looking forward to buying a used one.. thanks
  • xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    "While I corner hard on winding Pittsburgh hills, and average 80-85 on the highway, I don't stess the car."

Maybe not the car, but you're definitely stressing evidently sub-standard tires for your driving style, to be sure.

If I'm ever in the Pittsburgh area, I'll definitely be on the lookout for an '06 325xi averaging at least 15-20 mph over the speed limit,
  • larry175larry175 Member Posts: 68
    i put a set of avos non run flats on my 06 330xi and the only difference was a softer more comfortable ride and due to the tires not having steel side walls the car did not handle as well. not a big deal for street use but might affect track times.
    yes you can fit non runflats but you wont have a spare. You can buy a spare kit and put it in the trunk but it takes up space. I did this and it was fine. The ride in the 325i is very firm and 'choppy' with the runflats. also fuel consumption is very heavy around town and the steering is stiff. :)
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    The GFTs (Get Flat Tires) you put on your 330xi didn't handle as well? That's odd, very odd. Why? Because most folks who mount GFTs on their BMWs in place of the factory RFTs report a significant improvement in handling. Go figure.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    YES the RFTs can be changed to conventional tires.
    What I would check before you make such a change is check with the BMW dealer you are contemplating using to make sure you are not compromising your warranty AS FAR AS THEY ARE CONCERNED. BMW North America has no problem with it as long as the replacements are of equal or better "quality" as they put it to me in writing. ((One would think that the dealer would always agree with BMW NA, BUT????))
    Our present BMW is a 2006 330i loaded except sun shades. Seeing that it is "loaded" one would think that more should go wrong. We are happy with the car (46,000 miles). The last thing that went was the navigation computer. Warranty covered some $1,800.00 in parts and labor. The cylinder head was replaced under a "silent" warranty (ticking when starting cold) Other than that pretty normal. Wears very well. My wife and I were saying that other week that except for one door "parking lot ding" , it looks absolutely NEW in and out.
    I feel that you can't go wrong buying a BMW except for the tire problem. I have owned many makes of cars since 1963 including "exotics". I would recommend this car to anyone. Buy new or with warranty (to 50,000 miles including everything even oil changes).(NOT air / gas / tires)

As long as you feel good driving it, go for it. Even us 66 year olds love them.
    (neighbor bought the most expensive Lexis. It parks itself (mine takes my help) but his takes so long to park that I can park, do a 1 min. job, then leave and he is still parking.

John
    Springfield, OR
    SHIPO

I have no idea who you have been talking to. Perhaps those who you spoke to ran extremely poor tires before thay changed to RFTs. I have been following the response of those using RFTs since 2006. VERY LITTLE has been ++++++ while the ---- has been vast.
    In my 41 years of driving I have NEVER been so against any product as I am about RFT's The concept is great! But on the cars that I have had them on, they actually have proven UNSAFE after 24,000+ miles. I an 66 and do not drive poorly / off the paved road / at an excessive speed (well maybe a little fast) / nor in snow, Then again we are driving BMWs are we not?

John
    Springfield OR
    Uhhh, you have me at a loss...

If you read back in this thread for at least four or five years you'll see that I am very much against the use of RFTs, pretty much for the same reasons you are. The flip side is that I am just as strong of a proponent of good old fashioned GFTs (Get Flat Tires), which is what I said (or at least meant to say) in my recent postings. :confuse:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The tire noise on my friend's 328ix is the most horrendous I have ever heard, short of a lumber truck. Fortunately she is nearly deaf (well, not fortunately for other drivers perhaps).

So after all this talk, is the general consensus here that the only fully satisfying solution is to replace with GFTs?
    I've been participating in this discussion since its inception on 2-Nov-2005, and after tallying up all of the folks that seem to be satisfied with most aspects of their RFTs, I still have several available fingers on my first hand. Said another way, yeah, there are a few folks who love them, precious darned few. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Just read your post(s) and have this question -- .When your bridgestones wear out (or before) do what i did and fit ordinary tyres? I bought the spare kit and changed to Pirelli after only 3 months with my 07 3 series because I couldn't handle the Bridgestones, and it spoiled the whole experience for me. The difference was amazing; I;m not kidding! I went through all the bull s..t about warrantees if I changed to non runflats and finally sent a fax to BMW Germany. Answer was, OK, fine, we are now making a spare kit as an option which you can buy if you want to do this.
    Since then I have traded that car on my last ever car (wife says it will be) which is the latest 3 series diesel, brand new still wrapped in plastic straight from the 'Fatherland' and I insisted that they get a car which had CONTINENTAL tyres (runflats) on it and let me test it for a day. I did, and am very pleasantly surprised at the ride and handling. I'm not even considering changing them, and the car handles as well as one fitted with conventional tyres. The Bridgestones are downright dangerous in heavy rain and on undulating, potholey roads. They 'tramline' and bang and crash and make the car dart all over the place. If you ever buy another one, try the Continentals, but why don't you fit the normal tyres to the car you have? You've got a spare. You should have enough sense to work this out at your age! I worked it out when I was only 65! (took me 2 years though). :blush:
    Finally someone that saw and still sees the light! BUT YOU START OFF BY STATING THAT YOU HAVE A QUESTION....THEN MAKE A STATEMENT WITH A QUESTION MARK. You lost me. What is your question?
    I don't know where I mislead you re the comments that I made on the RFTs. I do have the "sense" to change to a better tire. That is what I have been preaching in this column for years.
    Tried a 335D a few weeks back. Local fealer allows me to take a car for a day whenever I care to. Not my bag what with the cost of diesel these days. Still smells like a diesel. Went to visit a friend in hospital that day. He asked me if I had been working on my pride and joy, a 66 Vette. The small was carried on my clothing even though I noticed nothing. Told the BMW dealer about it and the reaction was, "Well you must expect the diesel smell". Guess he is right as I was loading / unloading the truck with groceries with the engine running.
    I think I will wait for the restyled 2011 3 series before I buy again. I bet we will all have to cope with RFTs for a long time to come.
    Till then, as I have repeatedly stated, I will run these RFTs till Spring, then consider changing to another make of tire or car.

John
    Hi John = You're right, I forgot to put 'why don't you' change tyres etc after I typed I have a question. Put it down to age, and being a poor typist. When I referred to you being old enough to have the sense to do it etc I was kidding you because I'm also 66, and feeling every day of it. Nothing meant. Seriously, I am really pleased with the diesel and the ride is fine with the Continentals As I said when I replaced the non runflats on my 07 model it made all the difference. Anyway, its 7pm and time for my warm milk and bed. Goodnite. :blush:
    Continentals........HUMM. Never tried Continentals. I am tempted towards Michelin but as yet have not decided. Appreciate your comments.
    Just received a "prod to order - European pickup" from BMW NA on the upcoming 2011 3 series. NICE INDEED! The "pictures" are merely drawings so a bit difficult to commit for 11 months away. We did that for a 2001 but so little changed from the 2000, there was no guessing involved. I will still have to do the new tire thing as the Bridgestones will not last after July - August.
    Hope all is well.
    John - Springfield OR (sunny and high 50s today - nice)
  • niacinniacin Member Posts: 5
    My question is this. My BMW '06 currently has run flat tires. As the tires are coming up for a change, can I put on regular radials or must I have the RFT put on? And will there be any adverse effect to the cars handling without the rft's. Thanks
  • celkancelkan Member Posts: 27
    After evaluating messages in this forum, several months ago I replaced the Conti runflats on my '06 325i by regular tires. I bought a large can of Fixaflat in case of emergency; the can says it has been reformulated so it does not damage tire pressure sensors, and in any case the sensors are not very expensive.

The regular tires (I forget the exact type but I did the research) were a small but noticeable improvement in handling and quietness. So far I have had no problems.
    RE YOUR QUESTION ON RFT's REPLACEMENT WITH CONVENTIONALS.

Still have BMW wheels? If so........
    Still have BMW warranty? If so check with local dealer.re warranty invalidation problems. I did 2 years ago and he nixed conventional tire replacement. Then went to BMW NA and they ok'd. Appears local dealer was not aware of BMW North America's policy. If you do not still have BMW Warranty AND NO EXTENDED WARRANTY THAT "MAY" BE A PROBLEM, then you have no problems whatsoever changing to conventional tires.
    One fellow that I was blogging back & forth tha other day recommended Continnentials. I prefer Michelins myself but that is merely my preference.
    Be careful to keep your sizing correct especially with the Sports Package being different front and rear.
    I have had to change my Bridgestone RFTs twice in 48,000 miles and will go conventional this time around. THEY WILL BE DUE FOR ANOTHER CHANGE BY THIS SPRING AS THEY ARE WEARING POORLY AGAIN. I love the concept (have always carried a donut spare and tools just in case) but the wear problem with tires with a "1" wear rating is not acceptable especially when they cost whet they do. Mine are again getting to the unsafe stage (this set has 23,000 miles) as they track POORLY on "rutty" concrete. Luckily we have no snow here. That would be desasterous. Have driven for 51 years........Love the car..Very concerned about the tires.

John
    Springfield OR
  • boston303boston303 Member Posts: 35
    I was given the same response from the local dealer as others. They said I could not put regular tires as the suspension was tuned specifically for the run flats...
    Yes you can - I did it. I put Pirelli tyres on and it was a different car. There is no reason whatsoever not to do this - warrantee is NOT AFFECTED. Go for it - you'll feel like you have a new car, handling and ride were both IMPROVED out of sight. :)
    Hi John
    I replaced the Bridgestones on my car when it was only 2 months old because I couldn't stand them as I have said before. I fitted Pirelli's and they were much better. The new car I got this year has the Continental runflats and they are so much better than the Bridgestones. I fitted the Pirellis because I couldn't get Michelins the right size and spec for the car at a reasonable price. Here is Australia we pay double for just about everything auto. For example, Lexus IS 300 $68,000. Govt gets 40%.
    Just got back from the dealer after having the 35,000 check. They informed me that the tires needed replacement. The cost $1450 plus tax. Thats quite a bit for four tires and from what I have read ordinary tubeless aren't up to par. Before i shell out this kind od dough, somebody has to have found a tire that will work on a "02 325 Thanks
    Was there a zero missing from the 35000 miles on the '02 325, like maybe 350,000 miles?

Just wondering how long this car was parked, and if the inevitable flat spots are the reason for the new tires?

You could also get only 3 replacement tires and make only left turns...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    '02 325 doesn't have runflat tires, does it? Is this an '06, maybe?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Yes it is an '06 and yes it has ONLY 35,000 miles on it. Also, the rims and tires are original. They came with the car. Some one suggested Perillis but here in Pensacola, FL., there are no dealers. And I find out that the sensor on the tires will have to be calibrated if regular tires are installed. $1450 + tax is a lot of money but if other tires will not work whats the option? Buy a KIA? thanks.
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    Is your 2006 325i the base model or with sport package? I just looked at tirerack.com. They have quite a selection for RFT now. (There were only two or three choices sIx months ago.) You can get a set of 4 for far less than $1,450. Check out these links (choose "Show ONLY Run Flat Tires" on the left-hand side bar) to narrow down the search).

For base model, as low as $484 ($121 each) --
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=BMW&aut- - - - oYear=2006&autoModel=325i+Sedan&autoModClar=Base+Model&width=205/&ratio=55&diame- - - - ter=16&sortCode=44950&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=H&minLoadRating=S&tab=All

For Sprot Package, as low as $692 ($149 each front, $197 each rear) --
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=BMW&aut- - - - oYear=2006&autoModel=325i+Sedan&autoModClar=Sport+Package&frontWidth=225/&frontR- - - - atio=45&frontDiameter=17&frontSortCode=49650&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDia- - - - meter=17&rearSortCode=50150&tab=All
    Non runflats will work perfectly - I did it and have two friends who also did. The sensers dont have to be re-calibrated. Whoever has been telling you this stuff doesn't know. If it's a BMW dealer. all the worse. Tyres are nowhere near that money unless you fall for the trap and get them through BMW who charge double. Try Continental runflats. I have them on my car and they are excellent. Had Bridgestone on the last car (07) and they were no good. Changed them over to Pirelli normal tyres and it was fine. BMW said --- ummmmm. errrr. we don't think you can put normal tyres on. B/S..t. Their advisor was aged about 13! Look into it further with tyre dealers.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    As others have noted, shop around... If you decide to stay with run-flats, there are better choices and cheaper prices than your dealer...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• larry175larry175 Member Posts: 68
    with out a dought. shop, shop and shop.
    Well at least regarding those of us who have had to endure the Bridgestone RFT...The noise, poor tire wear, BMW's nonesense of belittling the problem...

"A NATIONWIDE" settlement has been reached in a class action law suite against BMW of North America, Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations and Bridgestone Corporation....The suite alleges that the defendants should have know that the tires were defective and prone to excessive noise and/or irregular wear, resulting in the tires needing frequent replacement and causing the vehicles to ride roughly."

The good news? I am going to get money back!! If your car had Bridgestones and were replaced with another brand of RFT you may still be eligible as well..
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    "A NATIONWIDE" settlement has been reached in a class action law suit against BMW of North America, Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations and Bridgestone Corporation"

Sweet,
    Lawyers=30 million
    BMW owners=50 bucks
  • rflrfl Member Posts: 100
    READ THE SETTLEMENT... depending on when you replaced the tires YOU GET YOUR MONEY BACK. Sometimes lawyers are good.
    How do I go about getting the money. Is there a form I have to request or am I automatically entered into the system as an owner who has the tires?
  • jgraffmanjgraffman Member Posts: 14
    You should get a form in the mail. Call 1-877-571-8674 or visit www.gilardi.com/BMW-BridgestoneRFT if you didn't get one.

The settlement is for BMW 2006 or 2007 3 Series vehicles equipped with Bridgestone Turanza EL 42 RFT 205/55R16 or 225/45R17 run-flat tires.
    So BMW goes with run flats that suck and totally move owners away from freedom of fine tuning their cars for their interests, and now BMW abandones the "Ultimate Driving Machine" tag for a series of "JOY" especially geared towards women and children on a safety level... Let me get this right. The "Ultimate Driving Machine" was safe, woman and child friendly. "JOY" and targeting somone other than the auto enthusiast is spellbinding! OK maybe that's why BMW wanted run flats... This is all a departure of what we BMW owners honor in the car. BMW is losing it very fast!
    WELL WRITTEN !!!!
    BMW changed to RFT's showing again that it is a forerunner in the auto industry. I personally, owing 2 330i's with RFTs do not agree with the fact and have voiced my displeasure whenever I can. BUT have the RFT's ever caused me any inconvenience? NO except having to replace them every 24-25,000 miles. However, I do carry a spare donut tire / power jack and tools.(never used them). Yes I am a complainer about RFTs but again except for high cost replacement and a wear rating of "1" (Lowest possible) (WalMart sells as low as "4" in our area) I cannot complain.
    Don't like them? Change to conventionals. BMW has advised in writing that it will NOT void your new car warranty EXCEPT in the case of damages proven to be the conventional tire's fault.
    My present set of RFT's on a 2006 330i (Sports Package) 24,500 miles, is starting to act like my prior set (on a 2001 330i (Sports Package)) and does not track properly. (All front end and suspension has been checked and found in perfect order).
    In fact I was in the local BMW dealer today and the Service Manager and Service Advisor both told me on the QT that they both have changes for RFT's to conventionals on their personal cars. The way the Advisor put it to me....."SCARY"

It's your car, do what you feel better with

John...a 66 year old driver and a 24 year BMW owner.
  • jagostjagost Member Posts: 13
    I have own three BMW's and do not like the run flat tires, but I do not see people on this post talking about the new Bridgestone run flat tires third generation. If you do a search on the web, the new third generation tires are almost as good as regular tires as rated by different car magazines and customer reports agencies. The reason why tire rack has more run flat tire options for sale are because of these third generation tires. As for me, This will be my last BMW. Tired of the bull. BMW never fines nothing wrong with their cars during inspections, too costly, their 5-series looks like a Toyota and their electronics European style of cause (electrical).
    I just put on a new set of RFT's on my 2006 325i. I had 35,000 on the originals. The only reason a new set was put on is that I picked up a nail in the left front. While the tire did not go flat it was time for a new set. As you know the car has two different sized tires on the front and back. The bridgestone Potenzas that were original were replaced with bridgestones Potenzas. Make sure the tires are replaced with the two different sized tires and happy motoring.
    Great Article.
    Bridgestones not too highly rated by Consumers Reports Mag. (See November 2009 issue)
    ALL-SEASON: Rated 19th out of 23 tested.
    PERFORMANCE ALL-SEASON: Did not even rate out of 14 tested. :
    WINTER: Rated 7th out of 17 tested. (not bad but I rarely drive in snow,

As far as RFTs tested against RFTs, Bridgestones came in 11th out of 14 also recently tested by Con. Reps.

No other RFT has such a poor wear rating (1)
    You speak of the "new generation" Bridgestone. Where did that phrase come from? Perhaps a Bridgestone advert?
    I am on my third set now (2001 330i / 2006 330i & 2009 335i all with Sports Packages) Still own 2006 and 2009. Both are experiencing same old problems. Friend and owner of local BMW dealership tells me that RFTs are here to stay, on BMWs on BMWs at least. When all is added (no tire changing tools / jack etc / no spare etc etc / trunk space looks roomier) it is cheaper for BMW to produce a vehicle after collaborating with Bridgestone for "xxx" many tires over "xxx" years..

Again GREAT ARTICLE.
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    I am not aware of any 3G RFT for sale except the one upcoming from Bridgestone, those are 2Gs.

The reason why tire rack has more run flat tire options for sale are because of these third generation tires.
  • jackdelia4ujackdelia4u Member Posts: 26
    Hi...need some info. Sick and tired of my run flat tires. I own a 328ti sportwagon with the sport package. Had the RFT's replaced at dealer expense after BMW was contacted by my lemon law attorney. Now 20k miles later these tires are shot. I want to replace them with normal tires and buy a donut and jack. BMW tells me that my suspension must be adjusted for these different tires? Is this true? What tires do you recommend for my vehicle? Thanks! Jack
    BMW tells me that my suspension must be adjusted for these different tires?

Total B.S.

The ONLY reason why you might want to keep the RFTs is if you leased your car AND you'll be returning it before the next set of tires. Other than that, your car is 100% compatible with conventional Gets Flat Tires (GFTs), so swap away.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited March 2010
    Huh? How's that? By turning the BMW "Adjust-a-Suspension" knob?

Dealer is blowing smoke. I switched the RFTs off my new (used) MINI with another car recently at the dealer's lot, and I am the happiest man alive. Bought a bottle of "Slime", an electric air pump and I'm good to go. I do feel sorry for whoever buys the other MINI, though. :(
    I presume you mean some BMW dealer told you this. If so, who is that dealer so I can be sure to avoid them for service.
  • jackdelia4ujackdelia4u Member Posts: 26
    Any recommendations for GFT's? Much appreciated! Jack