Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Escalade

Comments

• aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Well I asked the question on the Denali board about why it doesn't have rear sensors and some clown basically told me I couldn't drive if I needed them. I personally wouldn't buy a truck that big without them. Like nvbanker, I like the outside of the ESV much better, but the interior, which isn't the worst I've seen, could certainly be brought into the 21st century.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Agree on the rear sensors.....I won't have a truck without them again, and perhaps not a car either. They're not necessary, but damn convenient.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Aggie, I have the sensors on my Mercedes ML500 on the front and back. They are SO convenient! I wish that the Caddie had them for the front. When I looked at the Yukon XL Denali, the salesman said that I could add the sensors to the rear for $1,700. But, it would have an after market illuminator inside that might not look so nice. So, that's why the Escalade popped to the top of my list.

I was thinking so strongly of trading last year for an 2004 but decided to keep my ML another year. I usually like to trade in December for the new model so I'll think more seriously as that time approaches.

I like the dash of the Escalade, it sits flat, everything is within reach, the woodgrain is done nicely.... I just don't have a problem with the look of the dash. It's a truck, not a sedan.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Yeah, I know Mercedes has been doing them for years. They are good to have as opposed to backing up until you hit something. I've crossed the Denali off my shopping list. I've just been getting brochures from everyone and I'll start really shopping when the 05's hit the dealers in big numbers, probably late Oct with the ESV and the Lincoln Nav at the top of my list. My wife, of course, may have other ideas.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    You guys crack me up with the sensor thing....

Learn to manuver your vehicles, period, you shouldn't be driving a big-truck if you can't handle it. Typical American SUV driver of today though...

-mike
    Mike, it doesn't mean that we can't handle the vehicle, it's just easier when you have the sensors. At my home in California, I live at the end of the street so when I'm backing up into the street, I get really close to a flower bed and fence. I don't have to turn my neck to see how close I'm getting, I just watch the indicator located at the ceiling light up as I get closer to the obstacle. We have six cars in my household, only two have sensors. You can get used to them really quick!

The front of the ML is very slanted and it somewhat difficult to see the end of the vehicle. I put a wind deflector on the front to help prevent rock chips on the windshield and it helps to see the front-end. So, I still depend on the sensors with out having to tilt forward to look how close I'm getting to another car, etc.

It's just a convenience like auto up/down on the electric windows, you really get used to it.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    the sensors can save you a crunched bumper from a low slung rock when off road or a log you don't see. I'm pretty good at avoiding accidents and handling my SUV, I think. But in my older models with out it, I have caught some of these hazards here and there and damaged the car. With the sensors, I can jam the brakes and avoid a collision. Personally, I'm addicted to them, and use them every day for backing up. Wouldn't be without them, if they were available, and it would make the difference, all other things being equal, on which truck I selected for a future car. YMMV
    You become dependent on them, and when they fail you are totally at a loss or blame it on the broken sensor as the reason you hit something. Amazingly people have been piloting these vehicles for 50+ years w/o significantly messing them up or killing people w/o the sensors....

As for offroading? I offroad a lot, never saw 1 offroad rig with such sensors, no Bling Bling mobiles on the trails I go on....

-mike
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Amazingly people have been piloting these vehicles for 50+ years w/o significantly messing them up or killing people w/o the sensors....

Just those 130 odd kids I mentioned the other day.

For a computer guy, you sure sound like a Luddite Mike. Looks like you're way out-numbered on this one. Maybe we can find you an old IH Scout to play with :-)

Steve, Host
    I just find that people have become so dependent on systems like this that they forget how to actually drive. I'm all for technology, but items like this only serve to make the driver extremely lazy and not take responsibility for their driving, their RESPONSIBILITY behind the wheel to be aware of backing up and piloting their cars. I can't begin to tell you how many people I want to boot of the road cause they are driving their cars on their handsfree phone (legal in all states) and not paying attention to the matter at hand, which is DRIVING.

In 10 years we'll all have the sensors for detecting objects rather than paying attention to the road or backing up and that is dangerous because it's not a direct connection between you and the road/items that may be in the way.

-mike

PS: I bet that of those 130 people hit, 90% would have been hit ANYWAY because the driver was not paying attention, or on the phone or watching a DVD or other such lazy action when they should be paying attention to driving :(
    Mike, sensors make the driver lazy? That is ludicrous. There are just some things you cannot see that the sensors come in handy for. For instance, if you are loading something (new TV from Circuit City, etc) and need to back up to a loading dock, a long vehicle like the Escalade ESV can be hard to judge your distance from a side mirror. Granted, I could probably do it and never touch the bumper but if something like the sensors will prevent a scrape on the bumper, I'm all for it.

The sensors did fail on my ML once and I hit the wood box in my garage. I depended on my sensors to work just as you depend on other items in your car to work. I had recently put a "bug zapper" plug-in in the electrical outlet that is supposed to discourage bugs, mice, etc from coming in the garage. The zapper sends out a signal that caused the bumper sensors to malfunction. As I was trying to figure out what was going on, I bumped the box I had in the garage. No damage at all, I just touched it.

Thinking that my sensors were bad, I tried it with my friends S500 Mercedes and his malfunctioned too. So, the little bug zapper was out of the garage and into the storage room. Before I realized it was the zapper, I had the dealer check the sensors and everything was OK, then I found the culprit.

Mark
    You know, if my sensors failed, (and I've never heard of any doing that yet, but whatever), I could:

1) Dial up my wife on the Cellphone in my car, and ask her to guide me into the garage...

2) Use the rear mounted camera to visually inspect where I was backing up, or

3) Resort to the "state of the art" mirrors and visually guide myself into my space.

But I would miss the guidance my beeper gives me when backing up to my trailer. It goes steady exactly when my ball is under the hitch, and I can stop the truck right where it needs to be to drop on. Otherwise, I'd have to hit it like we used to, and then move 4 inches forward.
    Backing up to a loading dock is easy, you open the hatch and backup looking out through the vehicle.

Banging into a trailer hitch just means you need more practice, been backing up to trailer hitches for a while and rarely if ever hit them even though i can't see them directly.... practice my son!

-mike
    Paisan, give it up, you are not going to win this one!

Mark
    I used to know a crane operator who preached that non-stop. Then I met another crane operator who turned one over. Turns out there's a big market for crane sensors because even when you know your vehicle and have lots of practice/experience, you can always use more feedback (link).

Steve, Host
    Yeah yeah I hear yah, i'll just make sure to have an even LARGER vehicle so idiots who can't drive their Excalades and Denalis don't run me over....

;)

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I happened to be driving behind a lexus sedan with backup sensors installed with a big vertical crease in the trunk and bumper. Clearly someone ran into a pole, perhaps one of those that are only 3 feet high and hard to see? Nevertheless quite amusing and it made me think of this thread.

How well do the sensors work? Do they only beep when you are approaching a brick wall, but not say a pole?
    In my cars, they beep at anything, even as high as a curb. However, if your radio is too loud, you may override the beep. In my car, the radio volume is lowered when it begins to beep so you will hear it for sure, but I know in some cars, that's not the case.
    SBcooke, there is also the chance that the 'Lexus' driver had them turned off. In my Mercedes ML, I have a switch to turn them off. The reason why the switch comes in handy is, is when you are stopped, lets say, at a school crosswalk. The kids walking in front of the vehicle cause the sensors to beep constantly as long as they are within 2 feet of the bumper. At that point, it can drive your crazy.

I'm going to tell a story on myself here.... about a year ago, I went out to dinner with a couple of friends and I dropped them off at their house. When I pulled up the driveway I stopped at the garage and opened my door to get out so I could open the back door for my guests. In a stupid rush, I forgot to put the ML in park and I didn't realize it was rolling forward until I heard the front sensors starting to beep. I whirled around and put the car into Park. Since I was on a slight incline, the ML was creeping very slow. Thank goodness for those sensors that day or I might have bought a new garage door for my friends.

Mark
  • tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    Coming in late on this whole sensor thread but...I can see how/why it would be advantageous (from a safety POV) to have them in the rear, but the front? IMHO I think having front sensors is just a luxury add-on for owners to boast of one more neat gadget. Sure, one could argue that front sensors would be useful for parking but c'mon--the need of front sensors as object detectors in general is overkill. I mean, if you're not paying attention to what's in front of you while moving forward? Heaven help me if I happen to be in front of you while driving out on the road...

And to the person who offered the story of how the (front) sensors saved his vehicle from hitting the garage door--well, sensors shouldn't be viewed as failsafes for a lack of concentration/responsibility when operating a motor vehicle. Sure they saved your vehicle from hitting the garage door--but seriously, did you have that incident in mind when you were wondering about what purpose front sensors would serve?
    Tdoh, all I know, is that the sensors saved me that day that I dropped my friends off. I didn't have to buy a garage door. So often, I use the front sensors to pull up close to something; I never have to guess how close I am, the sensors do that for me. I like it. The ML has a very slanted front end, it's a little hard to tell where the front stops. That's why I ordered the sensors for this vehicle.

Mark
  • tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    mark156--I wasn't implying that front sensors aren't a nice option to have, but that I can see how more than a few folks can start to rely on them to the point where they would totally be dependent on them. IOW--I can see some folks becoming so dependent/trusting of sensors to the point that if they somehow still manage to hit something due to the sensors either not alerting them soon enough or not at all, I'd be willing to bet that they'd blame the sensors before they blame themselves.
    You mean like we all have become so dependent upon rear and side view mirrors, instead of turning around and looking behind us?
    I guess we could always remove our power windows, power steering, tinted windows, power locks, radial tires and be right back in 1940! LOL

Technology is a great thing.... let's embrace it!

Kinda looking at the Range Rover now....even though the Escalade is larger.

Two friends of mine bought new RR and I was impressed on the fit and finish. Darn, if they just had a third seat! I know, I know, the Discovery does but I like the looks of the Range Rover.

Mark
    Yeah, I agree, besides, the Discovery is a dead model. It's being replaced in 05. I do believe though, that the Escalade has better long term reliability. The RR is european, and has typical European maintenance issues.
    I believe it's BMW under the skin, no?

-mike
    The current RR is a BMW design, with a BMW engine inside. Ford has just started to change things, so it may be a decade before the come up the standards Jaguar has acquired now.
    "up" to standards that's soo funny when a company needs to come "up" to FORD standards. Haaaaaaaaa

-mike
    Get over it, Mike. Ford saved Jaguar and everyone knows it. They are not consistently the best, but Jag is now as good or better than other Euro brands
    i know I just find it funny as all getup! That Ford Quality raised Jag. I dunno if it's as good or better than MB, BMW though, that's a bit of a stretch.

-mike
    Fair enough.....
    Hey NV, I was walking out of Rodgers Gardens and Nursery in Newport Beach, CA, and saw a black Escalade and Black Navigator parked side by side. It looked as though the Navigator was a tad longer than the Cadillac (short Escalade). Both appeared to be the same height.

Do you have the automatic running boards on your Nav?

Mark
    The Nav is longer, Mark. The 2 trucks are really very different. I opted not to get the power running boards. The unit I wanted didn't have 'em, and they were not a big deal to me. Now, the power folding 3rd row seat - that was a must have! In fact, I would opt for the Navigator over any other SUV on that feature alone. I'm so happy not to have to stow that seat anymore!
  • derrelhgreenderrelhgreen Member Posts: 234
    Anyone with a 2002 AWD 6.0L have this problem: Heard only when the engine is just above a normal idle.
    It is rather embarrassing to say the least, as a quality SUV should not be doing this.
    Dealer knows about it, but claims there is no factory fix available!

-Derrel
    Wondering whatever happened to "Lets make it right."
    Was replaced by, - Fix it right the first time.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Finally, some pics of the next generation Tahoe/Yukon! Not the Escalade, but it gives a good idea of what to expect overall. Look significantly different, especially from the b-pillar back. Taller and flatter seem to be what I get out of it.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?n=178&sid=178&a- rticle=7703

Some people are saying these are '06s, others say '07s. Not sure.
    No one shopping the 'slade anymore?

Steve, Host
    Steve, I sure had interest in the 2003 Escalade ESV last year but I decided to keep my Mercedes ML500 another year. I even thought about the 2004, but now, the 2005's are here and the body style will change soon. I guess I'll keep driving my ML, most likly, for even another year until the warranty expires.

At this point, I wouldn't buy the current Escalade, I would wait for the update in '06 or '07. If I were to trade next fall, I would hope the '06 would be the restyle with better upgrades for the interior. Also, I would like to see Cadillac add front bumper sensors.

I'm also leaning towards the new Land Rover LR3.

Mark
    "GMT900" architecture (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
    I hope the new Slade has something better than the Silverado interior with some plood and pleather. I also hope it has a third seat that power-folds into the floor like the Navigator does - I refuse to lift another third row seat out of an SUV ever again and for that reason alone, won't consider the Escalade until they get with the times and get competitive. An IRS would also be nice.
    "A Cadillac spokesperson has contradicted rumors and reports that a redesigned Escalade SUV will be the first car to ride on General Motors' GMT900 platform"

2007 Cadillac Escalade will share its new platform (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
    Well - so much for Cadillac being Special, once again.......
  • smmillersmmiller Member Posts: 19
    We were recently in the market for a full size Luxury UTE. We evaluated the Navigator, the Escalade, the QX56, and the Yukon Denali.

We really liked the QX56 -- but I have to be honest -- the horror stories posted on the QX56 forum kept us away. We loved the space inside the vehicle -- 2nd row space is incredible. The fold down rear seats, the silky smooth power, great ride. There were a few things we did not like at all -- the door handles are the cheesiest things on the planet. They just didn't communicate "quality" in any sense. If a basic detail like that is so bad -- the things we read in the QX56 forum are very easy to believe. the location of the digital clock & compass is bizarre. the clock is so cheezy it looks like a 1960's retro clock! The Nav system with the toggle was a real pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to use. Even with all of those little things we didn't like the rest of the vehicle is far ahead and this vehicle has promise if Infiniti can clean these up and deliver reliability. We will take a strong at these again next time we're in the market.

We also looked at the Navigator. The 2005 is a fine vehicle. The only thing I really disliked was the stupid door that opens and closes over the Nav system/radio. What's up with that? I also found the ride to be too soft for me. I want to feel some contact with the road under me and there just wasn't any with the Navigator. The power rear seats and lift gate were sort of cool -- but completely useless for me because we'll never use the 3rd row seats and I'm tall enough that raising/lowering the lift gate is not an issue. Pricing on the Navigator is extremely soft! Dealers were all offering $10-$12k off MSRP in their newspaper ads! Resale value down the road was a real concern.

We never expected to give the Yukon and the Escalade much of a look. We decided we would give them a shot. The base Yukon wasn't interesting at all. The Denali was clearly a big step up. The biggest downside for us is that the 3rd row seats don't fold down -- so we would have to take them out and store them somewhere. These are not moving either and the dealer was frank in telling us that we would get a great deal. A Chevy dealer down the street was advertising brand new Tahoes at 25% off MSRP!

We then went and drove the Escalade. We were quite surprised. It had the most comfortable front seats of all! With enough adjustment settings that it was easy to find just the perfect settings for me. When you're over 6 feet-- that can be a challenge in a lot of vehicles. The ride was clearly superior to the Denali and the Escalade was noticeably quieter than the Denali and somewhat quieter than the Infiniti. We had been driving a Trailblazer and found the similarities comforting. We were used to how the controls worked and they were located where we expected them to be. The touch screen Nav system is easy to use too.

In our final rankings of the Vehicles we ended up with (this is highly personal and subjective) the following:

Cadillac Escalade
    Infinity QX56
    Lincoln Navigator
    GMC Yukon Denali

We also looked at Consumer Reports. The Cadillac isn't covered but it's based on the same platform as the Yukon/Tahoe which is a CR best buy and recent model years are scoring very very well. We felt very comfortable with the quality of the Cadillac. The extra year or 14k of Warranty is also a nice extra over the Denali.

The Infiniti's quality reputation was a deal killer for us. If we hadn't read the QX56 forum we probably never would have test driven the Escalade or Navigator. Our initial impression was that high!

In the end we (as you probably guessed) moved up from the Trailblazer to the Escalade. We absolutely love it. We got ours with the big 20" wheels & tires -- which look great and makes the vehicle ride higher. The downside of the big tires is extra road noise when we drive on some of the heavily rutted freeways. Moving over and driving in the passing lane generally cures that problem.

Our recommendation is to drive all 4 of these vehicles -- none is far superior to any of the others. Your choice will likely come down to subjective personal criteria and quality reputation. If you're sensitive to price the Denali is a great value right now. Otherwise I think it's a race between the Escalade and the Navigator until Infiniti cleans up its act. The QX56 has a lot of promise.
  • chiru550chiru550 Member Posts: 1
    Help! I need advice on which way to go.....
    I am looking at the Escalade EXT fully loaded for $649 (tax included)
    or at a few other options.
    I have been told that there are much better ones out there, but I was kinda of stuck as to which way I should go. I have a 4 month old and I want to make sure I have the best one for him and my wife, while at the same time I don't want to get a bad deal. Any thoughts???????
  • bosshoggbosshogg Member Posts: 16
    Micro- I wanted to thank you. After reading your comments it brought a chuckle to my day. Surely, you were just kidding but I will indulge you. When the 2002 Cadillac Escalade first rolled into dealerships in 2001 it started a whirl wind that has yet to stop. Everyone from your mother to your little brother was talking about the new Cadillac SUV. The Escalade is still to date the most powerfull SUV in its class offers the most value for your dollar, and in my opinion has the most presence of all the SUV's.The Escalade set an industry standard and sent all the major players back into their design rooms for evauluation.Dont pretend that you dont remember, people were not even thinking about putting wheels on there SUV's, untill the "Mack Daddy" came out. I should also add that with General Motors being the largest coorperation in the US. not to mention having the #1 selling full size LUX. SUV in the US. (hahah sorry Im chuckling again) I could be wrong but I highly doubt that will lose much sleep that the Cadillac Master "game plan" did not work and you skipped over the "showroom". Lastly ill give you the benefit of the doubt, that you were just mistaken again so i will clarify. The Escalade is a Full Size LUX SUV the ml 320 and rx 300 are in a smaller lux class and perhaps they do dominate in that clas.... oh wait! I spoke to soon they already have there hands full with the Cadillac SRX hot on there tracks lets see... "Best Luxury SUV" for 04' & 05 car and Driver Magazine. ;^)
  • esvmanesvman Member Posts: 3
    I have purchased a brand new ESV last month, and it has 3000 miles on it.
    I'm just wondering if I should get an oil change. On the manual, it says I don't have to change until a light pops up on the panel.
    Please reply, anyone?
    :)
    Not dumb, but certainly a contentious question.

Check out First Oil Change while waiting for responses in here.

Steve, Host
    Hey guys, a while ago maybe a year ago or so there was some discussion of backup sensors. I remember I was totally ragging on them. Well they came standard on my Armada and I have found them to be outstanding for use when parrallel parking or just about any backup manuver. Wanted to come back and just let you guys know I've seen the light.

-mike
    That's good to hear Mike. Sometimes it's just more fun to rag on stuff though. :-)

Interesting reading about what you're doing to your Armada with the computer install btw.

Steve, Host