Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires

Comments

• chewy2chewy2 Member Posts: 19
    I just purchased a 2007 328i, of course equipped with noisy RFTs. It looks like the front tires will need replacing before the back tires. Does it matter if I put GFTs on the front and keep the RFTs on the back until they are more worn?
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Does it matter if I put GFTs on the front and keep the RFTs on the back until they are more worn?

DON't do it. The sidewall stiffnesses are far different, and the car's handling could be extremely squirrely. Way back in the day, when radial tires were first being introduced, it was generally known that one shouldn't mix types on a car. I tried (one time only) using my bias-ply spare when I had a flat on one of the radials.

Never again.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • ublaubla Member Posts: 3
    DO NOT BUY a 3 series

After this winter in NJ please I recommend to not by this car. The suspension travel is much to short it is SUBSTANDARD ! does not travel enough to allow for 1 ½” change in the pavement.
    The suspension will bottom out with a big bang no mater what and it will result in cracked bushings at the top ff the strut, or busted tire or cracked rim.
  • boston303boston303 Member Posts: 35
    edited February 2011
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Too funny... My BMW 3-Series was one of the best winter cars I've ever had; that if I recall correctly, the 3-Series has something more like 8" of suspension travel.
  • rflrfl Member Posts: 100
    I was one of the original nay-sayers for the BMW run-flats..hated them on my first two BMWs that had the original Bridgestones...in fact, first dealer swapped them off for Continentals which made quite a difference.

Well I'm here to tell you....patience has it's virtues! I just took delivery of my new 2011 X3 which came equipped with Bridgestone Run Flats and they are close to perfect as far as smooth ride and great handling. Drove the car right from the showroom 1200 miles to south Florida without a bump in the road.... Despite their arrogance, BMW may just have been right!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hope you're right, but remember, these RFTs get noisier as they age.
    I don't know that comparing the relatively tall profile of the X3's RFTs versus say those that came on a 3-Series with the Sport Package is a good way of determining how well the latest generation of RFTs purport themselves.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    I hope you are right... My wife's lease is up in October, and instead of telling me what she would like, she is starting to aver with certainty that the new X3 will be her next vehicle... :surprise:

I'd hate to be broke and have sucky tires...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    Wheel was fine. I have to mail back the tire to Tirerack. I got the compact tire kit now.
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    I was at a local tire shop today to have them look at the TPMS on my Mazda and I started talking to the owner. I asked him about run flats. He said they don't sell many at all.

I then asked if he has replaced many RFT with GFT. His response was puzzling. He said they will not replace RFT's with GFT's because of the liability involved.

I don't know what liability for who because I didn't ask since that converstion had ended at that point.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

The closest tire shop to me (a local chain), won't mount a used tire.. Doesn't matter if it's your tire, or if you bought it used.. If your tires are already mounted on other wheels, they'll swap them for you, but that's it...

Sucks for me, because they are within walking distance and open on Saturdays and weeknights.. The independent guy I use is only open M-F, and closes at 6:00pm... He doesn't worry about liability... lol.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    I then asked if he has replaced many RFT with GFT. His response was puzzling. He said they will not replace RFT's with GFT's because of the liability involved.

I don't know what liability for who because I didn't ask since that converstion had ended at that point

Well, I gues its his choice. Many tire dealers refuse to repair flats now for the very same reason.

But, in fact, there are no reasons as it relates to liability for changing between the two as it relates to BMW's.

It would be nice to know if he sees liability both ways...ie, replacing GFT's with RFT's on cars with TPS systems.
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    2006 325i ZSP -- my second round of 17" RE050As are much more compliant than the originals -- less prone to tramlining and better able to absorb expansion joint and pot-hole shocks. Very expensive, but they stick.

Base euro models now come with GFT tires -- more upscale models get the RFTs.
  • ublaubla Member Posts: 3
    Try 2 1/4"
    Two and a quarter inches of suspension travel? You've got to be kidding; I don't think there's a single production car on the roads these days with a suspension that goes from stop to stop in only two and a quarter inches.
  • larry175larry175 Member Posts: 68
    I put them on my09 335ix and 35lbs seems to do the job.

PS I hit a pothole and blew the right front tire with less than 5000 miles. Conti guarantee was great. Because I had to get a replacement tire in a hurry they reimbursed me 100% This happy camper is actually looking forward to buying another set of DWS's
    Two and a quarter inches of suspension travel? You've got to be kidding; I don't think there's a single production car on the roads these days with a suspension that goes from stop to stop in only two and a quarter inches.

I agree.

I certainly know of no production vehicle with such short suspension travel.

It may be so, but I have doubts it was delivered from the factory that way...

Heck, my Harley has more than that!
    Geez, I think the fork on my mountain bike has at least that much travel. :)
  • todd_skitodd_ski Member Posts: 2
    All:

I need a little assistance. I have a 2007 328i Convertible and need replacement tires. I have seen all the chatter about RFT vs. GFT. However, I like the convenience and security of the RFT's. Also, it seems they have made great improvements in the technology and resultant ride.

I would immensely appreciate it if someone could provide me some feedback on the replacements. Specifically, what brand and model of tire would be the best all-around. I live in Henderson (Las Vegas), NV and we do not experience severe weather often.

Thanks,

Todd_Ski :)
  • larry175larry175 Member Posts: 68
    Your mind seems made up. Try a set and you will see. Run flats allow you to drive to the nearest BMW dealer who will replace the tire at about $400. Difference being that if you had a spare you call AAA to change the tire and then have the soft tir repaired or change the tire yourself. Notwithstanding the noise and rough ride and short life try them. I am 70 y.o. and drive fast occasionally but don;t abuse the car and all I got on these tires was 22500 miles. They look brand new but drive like you are on R.R. tracks. And you have to be hi end ear phones because the radio can't be heard over the tire noise.
    But do what you will
    In my last two 328's I had Continental Conti-Pro Contact RFTs and found them perfectly acceptable in all regards. Our new 2011 328 i convertible came with the Contis and they are terrific. As well...we just also took delivery of a new 2011 X-3 and it came with Bridgestone RFTs which used to be horrid. I must tell you that the RFT tire technology has improved and I find these tires equally impressive to the Conti's. The days of lousy RFTs I think may have passed. I agree, the security of having them now outweighs any handicap. The ride now equals GFT's and I, as a former RFT hater have now been convinced that RFTs are the way to go. Just don't have a dealer replace them...buy them at Tire Rack and have a local tire dealer install them. You will save $$$$$$$$.
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    put Contenental Pro Contacts on my wheels.I only drive it summers and I can't say if run flats have inproved because I never went back to them, but I drive my car like like larry.
    I always buy the insuance too. I think I paid $10.00 a tire ever since, I hit the curb at a drive in bank. You can't fix a sidewall.
    Although, my state says they are broke and watch out for the pot holes. So, I'm going to hug the center line.My neighbor said he already bent a rim on his Escalade and this is March and more snow or rain is going to make it worse.Maybe RFT's will take pot holes better?
    My 2011 X 3 is the BEST BMW I have ever owned (and there have been 13 of them). Made in America, too! The electronics compare favorably to any US or Japaneese car and the handling is superb. Do not think twice. This is a 5 star vehicle. Oh...and btw... the dealers seem to have a better markup in them... I got a discount of 6% off of the list price without a hassle.
  • 1socalgal1socalgal Member Posts: 12
    Having resolved the run-flat tire issue (change them out for radials and put a small spare in the trunk) I'm wondering if it's possible to buy a BMW that's been lease terminated --- i.e., a leased BMW turned in by the owner. I've pretty much settled on a 2010 3 series sedan. Such a car would be a year old so it isn't likely to go to auction. And no I don't want to pick up someone's lease: wouldn't be able to change out the tires on a lease. Any ideas?
    I wouldn't buy or lease a BMW on a bet.. I am that disgusted with them. Yep my S2000 is so much more car price per pound than BMW can ever remeber what made them "hip" to begin with (2002). 3 Series is a joke. Can't wait for my lease to end. I absolutely hate run flat tires and that BMW has taken away our ability to customize our cars for our performance preferences. Ultimate driving machine? Used to be... Having read several posts I have to remind myself that the people who respond may not know what a clutch peddle does...or where it is...
    Having read several posts I have to remind myself that the people who respond may not know what a clutch peddle does...or where it is...

Not only do many of us know what a clutch pedal is, we also know the correct spelling for it as well....

Sorry... I couldn't resist.
    You can certainly change out the tires on a leased vehicle. All you have to do is turn it back in with the original RF tires. I know several people that have done exactly that.

As for finding the abbreviated leased vehicle, a great place to start would be a BMW dealer, since that's the place where a car would be returned in that situation...
    Check lease assumption sites like Swapalease.. Those people want out of their leases.. Sign up (it's under $50, I think), and you can communicate with those lessees.. If you see a car you are interested in, ask them to find out the current buyout (not the residual).. If you purchase the car from BMWFS (through them), then they are off the hook for the lease... Some of them might even chip in, to get rid of the car.

That may or may not be cheaper than what a dealer is asking for a comparable car. Most lessees don't terminate within the first 18 months, because it can be very expensive... If you find a late model car on a BMW lot, it's likely to be a factory official or demo/loaner (not that those can't be good buys).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

HA! Very fair comment! Thanks for the correction and I should have known better. I do mean that in a very friendly way, I screwed up. However I think the majority of BMW owners do not have a clue about a clutch pedal.. Given the majority of BMW's sold in the US are automatics. Today it seems to be more about the brand or status than it is about performance and being the Ultimate Driving Machine. My S2000 does much more for my performance enjoyment and competition than the 3 series could ever hope to achieve. Hate to be negative but I think BMW has absolutely lost it. Add to that, if I wanted to spend the equivalent amount of money I'd buy a Lotus.
    edited May 2011
    kyfdx Thanks, I do appreciate the suggestions. I have perhaps not liked a car less than when I owned a VW Squareback... Dating myself... Nothing works. Temperatire control just doesn't work, blue tooth is a joke then there are the bloody run flat tires which have been well cited as awful tires. "Trend setters" are giving more credence to the experience of driving than BMW can support. As said before the majority of BMW owners have no idea what a clutch pedal (and I spelled it correctly this time) is for or where it is located. Remember the old 2002 advertisements highlighting that they were built to cruise at 100 MPh?? Mass market is clearly what BMW is after and it's hard to fault them, but the growing masses of people buying these poor performing cars is blatantly label/brand seeking. Nothing to do with performance or being the ultimate driving machine... Frankly I think Porsche had that title forever... Now perhaps Lotus is taking that over. interesting array of cars over and beyond BMW. I might even go with a Pontiac Solstice over the Z4.. Of course my S2000 already beats the Z4 and the 3 series is a joke particularly with an automatic transmission (Applies to all BMW's)
    I wouldn't limit your comments to BMW. BMW is simply giving the buying market what it wants.

I can assure you that if the demand for manuals was high, you would see more of them on the car lots.... whatever the brand.

Car dealers want to sell as much as possible, and they could care less about the type of transmission in demand.

Back to BMW, though.... The company realized that there are only so many who want the "Ultimate Driving Machine", but far more with the means to buy something thats a "Joy" to drive.

Remember, if you want a manual but there isn't one available, you may complain (possibly loudly and often), but if you want an automatic, and there are tons of automatics available, most likely you would say nothing.

So it goes with BMW's market.

Back in the late 60's/early 70's, instead of transmission type, the complaint about muscle car evolution was finding few cars on lots without power steering and A/C. I suspect in 10-15 years the complaint will move towards finding cars without electronic gizmos on a car lot.

For sure, folks will always find something to be a bit dis-satisfied about.
    Yep ask me what I really think... Sorry to rant but I do think BMW is missing their roots.. Yep I know they have the "M" level, but they used to offer maximum performance at the entry level price... Not happening any more. I don't need to wear a badge/emblem to suggest I know a good car... even with an automatic transmission, which is certaily counter to any driving experience

Lost their focus for the market....
    Perhaps... Check out the world market... Americans are way too driven to long straight aways and relaxed driving, not performance dial in "D" and have no clue about what a driving experience is really about...
    Yeah, I am a little to over the top on this... Sorry. I really dislike BMW at this point. Always disliked then from when I was President of the NE Region Porsche Club... Bias confirmed... BMW still suckx with their tire position and technology...
    Hey... Everyone has their favorites....

I do agree that BMW's position on RFT's is difficult to understand, as in not having an option.

Usually, options on products increase as the price increases. If BMW wants to equip all of its cars with RFT's, fine... just arrange for a space-saver spare option for those who may not like RFT's. I'm neither "pro or con" on RFT's, as I see both sides of the issue.

Personally, I'd really like to know how the decision was made to offer no spare capability. It just seems like common sense was omitted in the decision making process.

Its not a "insufficient space" thing, as my wife's 05 MINI convertible came with RFT's and has a space-saver spare as well. If an engineer can find space to put a spare in a MINI, well.....

I can only wonder how many prospective buyers RFT's have run off from BMW...
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    edited May 2011
    I can only wonder how many prospective buyers RFT's have run off from BMW...

Well, I'm one, but the anti-DIY bias and the reluctance to bring the smaller diesels w/ manuals over here sealed the no deal.

It's not bad enough that the dipstick was replaced by an unreliable (for the first year or so) expensive oil level sensor; nowdays when it's time to replace a battery it can only be done at the dealer, thanks to how the computer(s) need to be synched. Granted, with the battery in the trunk it doesn't come up so often as it does in most cars. However, here in AZ batteries fail more often due to the heat, and if I can't stop at the nearest AutoZone or Checker or whatever in the middle of a Sunday afternoon to replace a battery, that's just one more nail in the BMW coffin, at least for me.

How long will it be until the hood is hermetically sealed? It may as well be now.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Well, I'm one, but the anti-DIY bias and the reluctance to bring the smaller diesels w/ manuals over here sealed the deal.

It's not bad enough that the dipstick was replaced by an unreliable (for the first year or so) expensive oil level sensor; nowdays when it's time to replace a battery it can only be done at the dealer, thanks to how the computer(s) need to be synched. Granted, with the battery in the trunk it doesn't come up so often as it does in most cars. However, here in AZ batteries fail more often due to the heat, and if I can't stop at the nearest AutoZone or Checker or whatever in the middle of a Sunday afternoon to replace a battery, that's just one more nail in the BMW coffin, at least for me.

How long will it be until the hood is hermetically sealed? It may as well be now.

I think its only a matter of time before the DIY-er is complete history. Some of it is due by design, but much is the result of stricter EPA regulations... and they are only going to get tighter as time goes on.

I understand the other issues you brought up (battery, etc). and I agree that a good engineering staff could have figured out a way to register a battery-type within the car's charging system that wouldn't cost the owner a $500 forced dealer charge to register the new battery.

Up until a couple of years ago, diesels had real issues with EPA regs as well, but as the 335d has demonstrated, BMW can't cry emissions restrictions any longer. That excuse no longer applies.

Still, here in SC, one sees relatively few diesel power cars, even from the manufacturers that offer them. Is it possible that the market really isn't sufficient today to support samller diesels?

I don't know...
    My friend turns 60 this month.... I sold my wife's first E46 to his wife back in '05 and she is still driving it... He is pretty handy, and has already done some work to the car.. so, for his birthday, I got him a Bentley E46 repair manual..

And.. the fact that I also drive an E46 (and am not very handy) is totally irrelevant!

Also, my BMW has a clutch pedal. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    I understand the other issues you brought up (battery, etc). and I agree that a good engineering staff could have figured out a way to register a battery-type within the car's charging system that wouldn't cost the owner a $500 forced dealer charge to register the new battery.

Maybe that "good engineering staff" did exactly what they were told to do. Find a way to ding their customers for $500+ whenever the battery has to be replaced :shades: .
    The Germans do have, you know, a kind of cultural pride about making things as complicated as possible. :P This is often done to achieve hair-splitting improvements in efficiency...but in their defense, once you add up all the little complex things they devise on these cars, the cars themselves, as a whole working entity, do seem to provide a unique driving experience.
    Maybe that "good engineering staff" did exactly what they were told to do. Find a way to ding their customers for $500+ whenever the battery has to be replaced.

Oh, I quite agree. I didn't mean that comment to sound negative on the engineering staff.

As I stated in an earlier comment, if they can devise a way to place a spare tire in a MINI convertible, they certainly have the talent available to them to do other things equally as efficient.
    My feeling as well.

In WWII, the meanest tank on the the battlefield was the German Tiger, and when it was 100% functional it was a holy terror. Problem was, it was also very complex, and break-downs were quite common. I had an uncle that fought in the war on Germany's side and I remember him telling me that probably half the Tiger losses were due to mechanical breakdowns, making it easier for the Allies to take the tank out.
    German engineering is amazing but like all forms of genius, sometimes it plunges into the dark side. I thought "no dipstick" was very dark, and I'm very ambivalent about run-flats, because they seem to create as many problems as they solve. Maybe if I was driving a lot in Kabul I'd feel better about them :P
  • jgraffmanjgraffman Member Posts: 14
    I am one of the unfortunate that was dinged $400 for a battery change a couple of years ago by the dealer. I was really peeved because the BMW supplied jumper service screwed it up and the transmission and AWD locked up so the vehicle had to be trucked to the dealer. Even tho the battery was supposedly under warrantee, it was not honored because of low mileage (ugh).

I then checked with a local repair shop that I trust. They told me they use the standard keep alive system when changing a battery and that BMW's were not a problem.

Do you know of any changes that would prevent a non-dealer from changing the battery? If so, what model years are affected?
    The reason newer BMWs require new battery "registration" is because there are different styles of batteries, and the charging system is very precise on charging the type of battery it thinks is installed in the car. Typically, its on 2008 and later models, but that is a general comment. The info is available from BMW, in your owner's manual.

If a third-party shop has the %50K diagnistic tool, it can also register the battery properly, but few shops have it available.
  • johnsamjohnsam Member Posts: 55
    You don't mention if the Bimmer is still under warranty. Also cannot figure out from your comments, why BMW would not replace a battery because of "low mileage". Strange indeed!
    Whenever you remove the battery, no matter what the reason, you must "save" the memory. To do this, buy a simple "under $10.00)(you will need a 9 volt battery that does not come with unit) memory saver available through Bavarian Auto. Plugs into lighter socket. This ite makes it a "Do It Yourself" task.
    BMW ALWAYS states that they do more than merely doing what you want done. In this case a battery change. They therefore "justify" their pricing for jobs. Sometime it pays, other times no way.
    edited May 2011
    Many, if not all, newer BMWs don't have a "hot" cigarette lighter" socket. In other words, no juice when the key is off.

Keep that in mind when attempting to use a device as described in the previous post....

If replacing a battery in a late model BMW, it does require registering. You may change it yourself, and all may work fine, but if its under warranty (the car) and you have electrical issues with an unregistered battery in the car.....good luck!
  • jgraffmanjgraffman Member Posts: 14
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the info.

I have '06 and '09 vehicles. There isn't anything in my manuals regarding battery registration. Neither vehicle has hot DC sockets. I would ask my dealer about battery registration, but I sometimes get bad info from them.

For johnsam, the vehicle was under warranty at the time. The dealer refused to honor a battery replacement because the vehicle had typically only been only driven about 500 miles in the previous month. I expect that they assumed the battery wasn't getting charged properly. IMO this is preposterous. The battery lasted over 3 1/2 years which is better life than most my batteries in hot Florida.

Guess we have strayed off-topic long enough.
  • johnsamjohnsam Member Posts: 55
    In writing, would request BMW North America assistance.
    The way you were handled is unacceptable.
    I have a 2006 330i that is driven (possibly) 700 miles per month and at 28,000+ my battery gave out. Local dealer replaced faster than I could ask. And I only own 1 Bimmer. I now use a $4.99 trickle charger (bought on the Net at Harbor Freight Tools) just for peace of mind as replacing Bimmer batteries can get very spendy.

John G