Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires

Comments

• rflrfl Member Posts: 100
    Forget the assistant... the honcho at BMW NA is TOM PURVES and you can reach him at the Woodcliff Lake, NJ address. He's VERY RESPONSIVE. Start at the top...the customer releations people are like talking to a chair!
  • cmcgincmcgin Member Posts: 3
    Hey S. Gray - congrats and I admire your perserverance. Just an update since I last posted. The contis are great tires. The ride is smooth and with the design of the tires the noise is considerably less than the bridgestone turanza's when they were brand new. I actually was hypersentive to the road noise after initialing getting the contis installed thus I made a note of a roaring noise but really, that was just a result of dealing with so much from the turanza's that ever little bump caused me to wonder.

Short story: if you have to replace and want to stay with run flats, I recommend the contis. Good luck to everyone.
  • handelhandel Member Posts: 17
    Like a distant plague in some far-off, obscure, third-world country, I've heard about the horror of the RFT's, but I never thought it would strike me. But....14,400 miles into my 2006 330xi, the dreaded sound of helicopters approaching! The Bridgestone RFT's have struck again! Purchased in Nov. 2005, I've loved everything about the car, but indeed, long-lasting love is hard to find.
    My dealer advises I need 4 new tires , which will cost over $1,000.00. They have forwarded an inquiry to BMW, and I await a response. Does anyone have long-term experience with Continentals?
    BMW comes through again! My dealer tells me BMW is willing to replace all four tires for free with Continentals. I must pay for an alignment, which I don't mind. An efficient, reasonable response to my problem.

When I first bought the car and it didn't come with a CD changer, I pointed out the website described the premium sound package as including the changer.(The website has since been changed) BMW installed a changer for free.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    BMW North America, LLC
    300 Chestnut Ridge Rd
    Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07675

Dear President of BMW NA,
    I have enclosed a letter that was sent to you back in June without response. I have called BMW North America customer relations NUMEROUS times as well as my local dealer Prestige BM of NJ ( who agrees there is a MASSIVE problem but said only you could have fixed it).
    As a follow-up, I have gotten rid of my ‘5’series, had to put 4 additional tires on the “3” and will be getting rid of that. Due to the lies and run around I have gotten specifically from BMW of North America, I have posted your inaction on the Internet at least 50 times (this letter will be next). Since February, From Edmunds.com, I get at least 5 emails a day asking me if you ever stepped up to fix your problem. SHAME on you for ruining the reputation of a wonderful car and company. SHAME on you for telling your customer relations to lie about their knowledge of the Bridgestone FIASCO. At lease 3 of them swore they knew of zero issues with those tires. The 4th told me to call Bridgestone, who put me in touch with THEIR local troubleshooter. The response from their manager was that they did not deal with the RFT’s!!!
    This past year we have leased a 2006 “3” and a “5” series. Our intent was in August to go back to Prestige BMW and lease the “7”. We have always had the greatest respect and admiration for BMW, as a vehicle and a company.
    We have had numerous problems with the “3” series (front door on drivers side flew open when driving, having to add coolant every 2 weeks until service finally admitted a new water pump was needed). The main problem has been the run-flat tires. We have gone through several at the cost of $300 per tire. Right now the “3” series sits in my garage with ANOTHER flat and no-one will drive it. We own a Real Estate Company. My son has gone back to driving a 2004 Jeep Wrangler due to the unreliability, and unsafeness of the vehicle. It is sad to take customers out in that car instead of a BMW!! The cupping of the tires, the shaking of the steering wheel, and the way the car moves back and forth is unsafe and embarrassing!
    I have called BMW of NA customer relations on this problem several times. I am told the problem is unique to me, yet I have found thousands of posts on the Internet about the BMW/Bridgestone Turanza nightmare. This problem was also addressed at the Service Manager’s meeting in April in Florida. Many service mangers are swapping out the tires with either Pirelli’s or Michelin Pilots.
    I want some action on this vehicle ASAP. I am calling the NY and NY attorney generals’ and consumer relations offices if someone does not straighten this out. Unfortunately, BMW has turned their back on their most valuable asset, the consumer. May BMW not hide their heads in the sand, and go the route of AUDI with their accelerator problem. Thank you
  • bryncerddbryncerdd Member Posts: 29
    My commendation to Handel for the initiative in writing to BMW NA. It will be interesting to observe whether they acknowledge receipt of the letter and, if so, how they respond in substance.

I regret to say that I am not surprised to hear the numerous lamentations about run-flat tires. When they first appeared I thought the objections would be directed toward their cost, the need to replace punctured tires (rather than repairing them), and the gross (again, I say GROSS!) inconvenience inherent in deleting a spare tire (even a space-saver) from the trunk. We can only hope that somebody at BMW reads these posts and will acknowledge that mandatory RFTs represent a major problem for an automobile which has won many fans over past decades for the driving pleaseure the car, for the most part, provides to enthusiast drivers.

If Handel's letter elicits no response, let others among us add to his efforts.

Bryncerdd
    To clarify, the letter to BMW is not from me. My experience apparently will end more happily.
  • jjdowjjdow Member Posts: 20
    Send this Certified, or spend the $10 to Fed Ex... either will guarantee and report to you their delivery time. Also call the assistant and let them know its coming certified on what date, and then call the day after that.
  • bmwmaxumbmwmaxum Member Posts: 9
    Hi

After reading that i was not the only one having problem with those RFT bridgestone tires i decided to write my story.This is my second new BMW i owe a 2006 325I.I live in Canada and i only have about 25500km or 18000 miles on it.Problem start after 2000km.Tires where noisy and handling was different so i call an look around for answer they told me at Elite BMW Ottawa,Canada that it was normal cause the tires are new.I said ok with time it should be better.Not exactly.It's worst.Sometimes i think i have problem with my directions at slow speed cause it vibrate.Over 20000km,to make the thing worst i ran over a scew.So itook my car to my BMW dealer.They inform me to my surprise that you can extract a srew from a RFT.So I have to replace the tire.Cost $400 including inst-bal and taxes.So I ask that everytime I have or hit something with that car I'm gonna have to replace that tire??? $400 each???They told me yes.I said ok ill think about that.Imagine my car was not running great at first with 4 new tires.let say im changing that tire im gonna have 1 new and 3 used wright!Do you think the ride gonna be better???I dont think so.My other option its to change all 4 ($1600)even if 3 tires still good.What to do???I call BMW customer service line on August 10th speaking to Stephanie telling her about my problem and she refer me to Jim Deloughery at Elite BMW.He call me wright after saying to me that he's gonna have a look at my car on August 18th and work something for me.Cant wait to meet him.Im very disapointing in that car just because that RFT even if they change it I dont understand why BMW did the switch for those RFT.It look like there is no solution for my case.I heard that the continental tires are better and quieter is it true.What would you do???

BMW...The ultimate run flat tire experience
    PS:Ill keep you posted...Sorry for the writing i' m french
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Sorry for the writing i' m french

Don't apologize. You write English a heckuva lot better than most Americans could ever dream to write French. ;)

Do keep us posted.
  • imran62781imran62781 Member Posts: 26
    i would rather spend the money and get all new contis. i haven't had experience with them, but given the feedback from people they sound a whole lot better. there is no reason for people to make this stuff up. also, it sounds like BMW themselves is starting to use the Contis.......if this is in fact the case they are indirectly acknowledging a problem.

anyway, yeah i would just go with contis, they are cheaper and sound like they perform better. its will help mitigate your problem, not solve it.........
    So you still have the bridgestone???Run great??? :surprise:
  • lipplipp Member Posts: 58
    I have had the Conti's on my '06 325I for about 2,000 miles now. Not enough time to really evaluate, but to this point, they are great. I replaced the Bridgestone's which were the worst tire I have ever owned. You have to be persistant with BMW NA and force them to cave in. They know they have a problem, but they are very reluctant to address it. Again, their lack of consideration for their consumers. That's the real reason why this BMW is my last BMW. Not the tires, but the attitude of BMW NA.
  • imran62781imran62781 Member Posts: 26
    yeah, i only have about 4200 miles on them though. i can't take the hit right now and get new tires. i have to wear these out as much as i can right now.
  • brianm4brianm4 Member Posts: 33
    I posted this earlier, but I purchased a 325ci on 7/7 and it had the Contis.
    You're missing the point. Push BMW NA and your dealer for FREE or pro-rated replacement of your Bridgestones with Conti's. They split with me after my "Roaring Thunder Bridgestones" had 20,000 miles on them. You have to fight the non-consumer oriented establishment at BMW for new tires. Don't give up and don't drive on poor quality, noisy, sub-standard tires that BMW stuck on your $40,000 dream car. Fight back.
  • oracle10goracle10g Member Posts: 10
    I talked to my BMW dealer about my noisy Bridgesteone RFT's. They said that they're aware of the noise issues due to the feather wear. The service manager told me that BMW recommended that you don't rotate the tires for the reasons that he does not understand, however, he said that he'll to it anyway. Listen to this: He said the noise probably come from the feather wear of the front tires and he will rotate the fronts to the rears so the noise would go to the rears instead of the fronts and that is all he can do.

What kind of car that I bought here???? Junk car made from a junk company??

I'd not buy another BMW again. This is my first BMW and the last. I've Mercedes and Porche before and they have terrific services and customer supports.

Can one of you tell us where to send complains to the correct people in BMW NA?

Thanks.
    Why dont you go back to your BMW DEALER and try to get the conti at no charge like others did??? :surprise:
  • owner6owner6 Member Posts: 89
    Oracle10g,
    Before you waste time writing letters here is what I suggest you do. Find out who the owner of your dealership is. Ask the service manager that question. Request his name and business phone number. call the owner and tell him of your problem and how other dealers are giving customers a free set of tires. (I received a free set of tires and a free alignment). The owner deals in $Mega Bucks situations every day and will be glad to spend a few dollars (tires at his cost) to keep you happy and get you out of his hair. Believe me it will work. Or the service manager will be concerned of your elevation of a problem to the owner that he will give you the tires to keep a low profile within his manager/owner chain of command. Please try this 1st.
    Owner6.
    Good idea...this might work.On top of that the owner gonna be aware of the situation about those RFT Bridgestone problems an he's gonna be able to deal directly with BMW USA/CANADA.If we want BMW to do something about it the owner need to know.You know like me that sometime the owner are not always aware of a problem and the service manager want to keep that low profile. :)
    ME again
    ON friday aug 11th i woke up an find that the tire that had an nail in it i had a flat RFT.Remember I was suppose to go back to my dealer on friday aug. 18 th?Call the service manager Jim, back on Monday aug 14th telling him about my problem that i couldnt wait till friday.So he had a look at it an just by passing his hand(honest to god) on my 4 RFT,said that something was wrong with the 2 front tires.He didnt even have to test drive the car!!!After complaining and talking a bit about my problem with the handling and tires he told me that he's gonna try to get 2 brand new tires from Bridgestone for me.Again i was telling him about getting 2 new tires in front 1 with a nail at the back an another one but used at the back.Do you think that my car gonna run great with 2 new only?I dont think!So again saying to me that he'll see what they can do with that,an call me back later on Monday.I was on my way back home when my BMW dealer Elite,Ottawa,Canada call me back saying that i have to come back cause bridgestone wants the serial numbers for my tires and tread measurement.So i had to go back tuesday morning aug. 15 in order to give them the information.So i went back with that.I told me that he is trying to get me 4 new tires from Bridgestone.While I was waiting for my car i've look around on their lot to see if their 3-series was equipped with Conti or Bridgestone.It was about half.Anyway he is suppose to call me back this tuesday or wednesday.Even if they replace with 4 new should I have confidence with those Bridgestone tires??? :sick:

PS:I'LL KEEP YOU POSTED
  • brodskybrodsky Member Posts: 14
    I'm seriously considering a 330xi. I currently have an Audi Allroad (great car), and the lease expires in mid-Oct of this year. I was thinking I'd wait to see what BMW does about tires in the 2007 model. Does anyone know whether BMW plans on continuing with the RFTs or changing back to conventional tires with a spare and jack? Thanks.
    I really don't want to complicate your situation. It's nice that the dealer is offering you four new Bridgestones but you will have problems with them in 8-10,000 miles. Demand that they replace your tires with Conti's. I went through this exercise and Conti's are the only way to go. Firestone offered me new Bridgestones and I turned them down. BMW offered me two Conti's if I bought two. My car had 20,000 miles on it when that offer was made. I took the Conti's and paid half and I am happy with them. After all this, would I buy another BMW? NO, because they are the least consumer oriented company I have ever dealt with. Good Luck.
    If BMW changes back to conventional tires with a spare there will be thousands of '06 owners lined up demanding a resolution to their RFT issues. The resolution will be to change the '06 owners of RFT's over to conventional tires. Never happen!!!!
  • brodskybrodsky Member Posts: 14
    So, using that logic, they'll never change back to conventional tires???
    Not necessarily. If BMW ever changes back to conventional tires, they will never resolve issues with all the '06 owners that have problems with their Bridgestones RFT's. They have been doing everything possible to hide from this problem. Remember, you are dealing with a company that has little or no regard for their consumers. The are the least consumer oriented company in the automotive industry. This statement is backed by the way they have resdponded to, and treated consumers with RFT problems.
    Hello me again!

Remember my dealer Elite Bmw,Ottawa was supposed to change at least 2 tires and was trying for 4 tires.So i went back on friday August 18 th 2006 ,so they can change my tires.Arrive there at 8h00 am.The service manager Jim Deloughery told me that he didn get info since tuesday from Pierre the regional BMW service Manager....very customer oriented!!!So told me that he's gonna order 2 tires(EL 42)right away to install in front of my car saying that Brigdestone was back order so he cant get 4...I said ok.wait for about 2 hours.Went back to get my car guess what?...He had just install 1 tire!!!another bs from that manager Jim saying that he was enable to get the other tire on time ...cause I had to leave at 11h00 am.I tolm him that I was not happy about that run around the entire week and ask him why that he had wait to order those tires in the day i was leaving!!!What he did its first he install the new tire in front and the one that was in front at the back.Again saying to me that he'll get back to me this week.Got back to me on tuesday August 22 telling me that BMW WONT TO ANYTHING FOR MY PROBLEM!So Im stuck with:1 feathered tire at the front,the other one at the front new,the one that was at the front now at the back(feathered) and the one I had at the back still there.WERE TALKING BMW HERE RIGHT?How can you promess something to somebody and lyied about it?IT WONT STOP THERE.I just call back customer service and I was talking to Richard Deschamps over there telling him the run around.He took some note and tolm me that he will get back to me no later than tommorow with a answer.I told him that I was done with Bridgestone and what I want to be done was to get 4 new CONTICONTACT tires.....Ill keep you posted with episode 4 ...UNBELIEVEBALE

By the way I was at the Rogers cup finale(TENNIS)yesterday in Montreal and they had the new BMW coupe 328I on display.Bet what kind of tires was on it???.............CONTINENTAL :sick:
    BMWMAXUM...........
    Don't give up the fight. Stay on their case until you are satisfied with the result. DON'T accept the Bridgestone tires. Insist on the Conti's. Call BMW NA as often as is necessary and insist on a resolution to your problem. I was persistant in a positive way. I got results and you will too. Good luck. Keep one thing in mind....you are dealing with the least customer oriented company in the auto industry. For that reason this BMW is my last BMW. Never again.
    Here is the letter that I have sent to BMW Head office yesterday regarding those Bridgestone RFT.Happy reading!

To August 23rd 2006
    Mrs. Leah Zinkhan
    Executive assistant

Mr Lindsay Deffield
    President CEO BMW Canada

BMW CANADA

As we spoke ealier today here is my story.Sorry for the writing I'm french.

After reading and talking to a different garage(BMW) that i was not the only one having problem with those RFT bridgestone tires i decided to write my story.This is my second new BMW i owe a 2006 325I.I live in Canada and i only have about 25500km or 18000 miles on it.Problem start after 2000km.Tires where noisy and handling was different so i call different BMW dealer an look around for answer they told me at Elite BMW Ottawa,Canada that it was normal cause the tires are new and they are RFT so the handling is different.I said ok with time it should be better.Not exactly.It's worst.Sometimes i think i have problem with my directions at slow speed cause it vibrate.Over 20000km,to make the thing worst i ran over a scew.So itook my car to my BMW dealer.They inform me to my surprise that you can extract a srew from a RFT.So I have to replace the tire.Cost $400 including inst-bal and taxes.So I ask that everytime I have or hit something with that car I'm gonna have to replace that tire??? $400 each???They told me yes.I said ok ill think about that.Imagine my car was not running great at first with 4 new tires.let say im changing that tire im gonna have 1 new and 3 used wright!Do you think the ride gonna be better???I dont think so.My other option its to change all 4 ($1600)even if 3 tires still good.What to do???I call BMW customer service line on August 10th speaking to Stephanie telling her about my problem and she refer me to Jim Deloughery at Elite BMW.He call me wright after saying to me that he's gonna have a look at my car on August 18th and work something for me.Im very disapointing in that car just because that RFT even if they change it I dont understand why BMW did the switch for those RFT anyway.
    On friday aug 11th i woke up an find that the tire that had an nail in it i had a flat RFT.Remember I was suppose to go back to my dealer on friday aug. 18 th?Call the service manager Jim, back on Monday aug 14th telling him about my problem that i couldnt wait till friday.So he had a look at it an just by passing his hand(honest to god) on my 4 RFT,said that something was wrong with the 2 front tires.He didnt even have to test drive the car!!!After complaining and talking a bit about my problem(by the way he was trying to deny it) with the handling and tires he told me that he's gonna try to get 2 brand new tires from Bridgestone for me.Again i was telling him about getting 2 new tires in front 1 with a nail at the back an another one but used at the back.Do you think that my car gonna run great with 2 new only?I dont think!So again saying to me that he'll see what they can do with that,an call me back later on Monday.I was on my way back home when my BMW dealer Elite,Ottawa,Canada call me back saying that i have to come back cause bridgestone wants the serial numbers for my tires and tread measurement.So i had to go back tuesday morning aug. 15 in order to give them the information.So i went back with that.I told me that he is trying to get me 4 new tires from Bridgestone.While I was waiting for my car i've look around on their lot to see if their 3-series was equipped with Conti or Bridgestone.It was about half.Anyway he is suppose to call me back this tuesday or wednesday.Even if they replace with 4 new should I have confidence with those Bridgestone tires???No.Remember my dealer Elite Bmw,Ottawa was supposed to change at least 2 tires and was trying for 4 tires.So i went back on friday August 18 th 2006 ,so they can change my tires.Arrive there at 8h00 am.The service manager Jim Deloughery told me that he didn get info since tuesday from Pierre the regional BMW service Manager....very customer oriented!!!So told me that he's gonna order 2 tires(EL 42)right away to install in front of my car saying that Brigdestone was back order so he cant get 4...I said ok.wait for about 2 hours.Went back to get my car guess what?...He had just install 1 tire!!!another bs from that manager Jim saying that he was enable to get the other tire on time ... I had to leave at 11h00 am cause I was heading to Buffalo,NY about 6 hr from my place!.I tolm him that I was not happy about that run around the entire week and ask him why that he had wait to order those tires in the day i was leaving!!!What he did its first he install the new tire in front and the one that was in front at the back.Again saying to me that he'll get back to me this week.Do you think that it was safe for me to drive 6 HRS with tires like that???Anyway....... Got back to me on tuesday August 22 telling me that BMW WONT DO ANYTHING FOR MY PROBLEM!So Im stuck with:1 feathered tire at the front,the other one at the front new,the one that was at the front now at the back(feathered) and the one I had at the back still there.WERE TALKING BMW HERE RIGHT?How can you promess something to somebody and lyied about it?IT WONT STOP THERE.I just call back customer service and I was talking to Richard Deschamps over there telling him the run around.He took some note and tolm me that he will get back to me no later than tommorow with a answer.I told him that I was done with Bridgestone and what I want to be done was to get 4 new CONTICONTACT tires like other customer did at NO CHARGE.So he call me back saying AGAIN that they can do anything cause I have to many KM....easy exit.But I'm complaining since the BEGINNING.He wanted me to contact Bridgestone with my problem I said what?.Who sold me that car BMW or Bridgestone???After all I just want my car to run like a brand new one.Remember I have been dealing with that problem since I had 2000 KM.How can a company like BMW can threat their customer like that and think that the customer gonna back to BMW.I tought you were customer oriented.I'm a just tired of the run around.I'm in that business and I dont think that you cant afford to lose customer for $800 set of Continental rft tires(at tire rack.com).I had other cars before like Saturn,Vw,Mitsubishi and had problem before but at least they were happy to fix my problem and fast....no RUN AROUND!How come I had better service with those companies???I guess my BMW was not expensive enough or I didnt buy a 7- series?I thought you where the best in service..... Why do I have to go through that???Why are you giving me such a hard time.I just hope that I'm gonna be able to be satisfied(finally) with that car.I just want to be a proud owner of a BMW like I was before.You are my last hope...in order to keep me as an BMW owner!

Thank you for your time Mrs. Zinkhan

I'm expecting a positive reply from your part.

BMW....The ultimate driving experience??? :sick:
  • jfdiamondjfdiamond Member Posts: 6
    3 questions: (i) how receptive have others found the dealers being to switching the tires from bridgestones to conti's? (ii) if not receptive, what is the addt'l cost (and model number would be great too), and (iii) is there any other people out there with a 330xi with the SPORT PACKAGE?! i happen to live in NYC and use my beautiful car to escape the city most weekends. we travel to all parts of the east coast and with the smallest pot-hole or construction issue on an expressway, i have teeth-jolting "bottom out" hits to the automobile.

does changing the tires to conti's soften the ride and quiet it at the same time? i never thought i'd say this, but would consider NOT getting the stiffer suspension package on my next bmw because it is so stiff with the hard sidewalls of the rft's. (btw, my 70 year old mother drives a volvo S60(sport 60 model), which has a suspension and chassy multi-point change option on her dashboard). we have many debates about the ultimate driving machine, but she wins when she can select "comfort" and avoid her fillings falling out. (she's also owned bmw's, so you can understand my defensiveness...)

signed, a devoted and concerned 2006 330xi, 1993 325i [mint, restored condition] and 2000 r1100r owner.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    jf....before I bought my 330i, I test drove one with the Briedgestones and one with the Contis. Pretty significant difference between the ride quality between the two. Breidgestones were what I consider "harsh". Contis were, for lack of a better term "creamy" in their ride quality in comparison.

While it was only test drives, I can't say I noticed any differenece handling-wise between the two.

There is such a big difference between the Bridgestones and the Contis, I can't believe BMW considered the Bridgestones as one of their OEM tire choices.

From what I can gather, at least in my general goegraphic locale, Bridgestones gave way to Contis pretty early in the inventory cycle this year.

I have heard of some who recently bought a 3 series that are still shod with Bridgestones, though.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • mpt1mpt1 Member Posts: 12
    I had a similar experiene with the 330xi (no sport package though) until I put regular tires on it. Read my posts 184, 192, 200, 262, and 268. Hope it helps.
  • jfdiamondjfdiamond Member Posts: 6
    Thanks very much. Very helpful. I am going to talk to my dealer and see about them helping financially with switching (either to the conti's or to the micheline's) to non rft's. Fingers crossed.
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    I'm new to this forum, but have been suffering with tire noise and harsh suspension on my 2006 330Xi for a while. I have the Bridgestone RFTs, and this forum has been very helpful in understanding the issue.

The BMW dealer, a Bridgestone dealer, and the tire / wheel road hazard insurance I bought are all saying its not their responsibility. Seems there are only two options: change cars or change tires.

If I change tires to the Continental OEM RFTs, I have a couple of questions that I'm wondering if anyone can help answer.

If I buy from Tirerack, and have them mounted locally, can I get road hazard insurance?

Will the tire / wheel road hazard insurance I bought from the dealer carry over to cover the replacement Continentals? If not, will I still have coverage for the wheels?

As an aside, we also purchased a 2006 X3 at the same time we got the 330Xi. I was leery of ride issues with the X3 after reading comments about a stiff ride from Edmunds.com and others, so I made sure we did not get the sports package. We did get the 18" wheel option, but its with the standard suspension. The X3 has the same Bridgestone EL42 tires on it, although they are a different size and are not RFTs. The ride of the X3 is great, it is firm but not harsh, and does not bottom out like my 330Xi, so that is even further evidence in my mind that the EL42 RFTs are a problem.

Thanks
    Bruce
    Finally they answer back.You will find there response at the bottom.What i wrote here was the last letter I just sent them.Thank you for you re support.Eric and again happy reading!

Hi Miss Zinkhan/Mr Duffield
    President CEO BMW Canada

I just cant believe that you dont care at BMW about customer complaining about tose tires and the handling.I was expecting a better judgement from your part.It seem that I'm wasting my time for more than a year by writing to you at customer service or calling my dealer.By the way I'm sorry if at the beginning I was a fool by trusting the advice (and didnt ask the guy name or asking him to put that in the system) from my BMW dealer over the phone saying that the kind of handling was due to RFT tires and they were new!Anyway....Funny cause 2 of my friends were looking to buy your bread and butter 3-series.Guess what? they were waiting on YOUR decision to make their mind on my case.Dont get me wrong I like the car and my buddy too!But do you think they want to put up with that run around?I dont think so and I dont blame them.You?By the way one will go for Passat and the other one for the G35.Just to let you know.You losing around $90000-$100000 just by not replacing my tires for those RFT CONTINENTAL $800 at tirerack.com.Is it a good investment $800 for $90000-$100000 an a chance to have repeat customer?You make the call.Before letting you go I would like you to answer few of my concerning regarding Jim Deloughery.Did he told you that those 2 front tires were defective and he was ordering 2 new tires at no charge?How come you re just giving me one.Jim told you about damaging my rim in front when he install the new tires?Jim told you that he was to call me back tuesday or wednesday and I had to call HIM back on thursday?What are you going to do about that?Sorry but enough it's enough.You dont seem to believe that I had problem since the beginning cause you dont have it on file and dont tell me that you are not aware about those BRIDGESTONE RFT EL 42-BMW problem.If you want a few good web site on that let me know.By the way there a good chance that you will find me on those web pages.I would like to get the e-mail or office phone number of the Worldwide President CEO for BMW.It will be appreciate it.I think it's the least you can do.Like you re saying at the bottom of your letter"I value the choice of my car and are sorry that you were unable to meet my expectations.For that reason this is my LAST BMW"Thank you all for your time and support and by letting down your real bread and butter....the CUSTOMER! :lemon:

Best regards

Eric

Dear Mr. Fournier

We acknowledge receiving your email dated August 23, 2006, regarding your concern with the Bridgestone runflat tires with which your vehicle is equipped. We appreciate the time taken to express your concerns.

It was with genuine concern that we read of the unfortunate circumstances related to addressing the issues surrounding the damage to the tire and the resulting replacement process. As it is the common desire of BMW and its retailer network to maintain customer satisfaction, we have reviewed your letter and have taken the liberty of contacting Jim Deloughery, Service Manager at Elite BMW and our Regional Aftersales Manager to further discuss this concern.

Mr. Deloughery informed us on June 19th the vehicle was diagnosed by Elite BMW as the tire pressure light was illuminated. The retailer’s findings were that a piece of steel in your right rear tire and that the tire would need to be replaced. At that time no decision was taken to replace the tire as this would not be covered under warranty. On August 11th, you contacted Elite BMW due to same tire now being completely flat. For safety reasons, BMW does not recommend repairing runflat tires as this repair may potentially compromise the structural integrity of the tire.

As explained to you during our telephone conversation on August 23, tires are warranted by their specific manufacturer. Your authorized BMW Retailer can assist you in addressing your concern with the specific parties. Mr. Deloughery has advised us he did contact Bridgestone and due to the mileage on the vehicle they would not assist in the replacement of your tires. Mr. Deloughery also advised us there are no records of this concern being mentioned at 2000 kms.

As a gesture of goodwill BMW has provided you with one tire at no cost to you. We trust that you understand that this is our final position in the matter. We value our BMW customers and are sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations.

Thank you for contacting BMW Group Canada.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
    BMW Canada

c.c. Elite BMW : Jim Deloughery, Service Manager
    Regional Aftersales Manager
    Hello bmw owner or soon to become(please don’t do that).Here is the letter I have sent to BMW President regarding those BRIDGESTONE RFT EL 42.You wont believe it.Read it its worth it.

August 23 2006
    Mrs. Leah Zinkhan/Mr Lindsay Duffield
    Executive assistant/President CEO BMW Canada
    BMW CANADA

As we spoke ealier today here is my story.Sorry for the writing I'm french.
    After reading and talking to a different garage(BMW) that i was not
    the only one having problem with those RFT bridgestone tires i decided to
    write my story.This is my second new BMW i owe a 2006 325I.I live in
    Canada and i only have about 25500km or 18000 miles on it.Problem start
    after 2000km.Tires where noisy and handling was different so i call
    different BMW dealer an look around for answer they told me at Elite BMW
    Ottawa,Canada that it was normal cause the tires are new and they are RFT
    so the handling is different.I said ok with time it should be better.Not
    exactly.It's worst.Sometimes i think i have problem with my directions at
    slow speed cause it vibrate.Over 20000km,to make the thing worst i ran
    over a scew.So itook my car to my BMW dealer.They inform me to my surprise
    that you can extract a srew from a RFT.So I have to replace the tire.Cost
    $400 including inst-bal and taxes.So I ask that everytime I have or hit
    something with that car I'm gonna have to replace that tire??? $400
    each???They told me yes.I said ok ill think about that.Imagine my car was
    not running great at first with 4 new tires.let say im changing that tire
    im gonna have 1 new and 3 used wright!Do you think the ride gonna be
    better???I dont think so.My other option its to change all 4 ($1600)even
    if 3 tires still good.What to do???I call BMW customer service line on
    August 10th speaking to Stephanie telling her about my problem and she
    refered me to Jim Deloughery at Elite BMW.He call me wright after saying to
    me that he's gonna have a look at my car on August 18th and work something
    for me.Im very disapointing in that car just because that RFT even if they
    change it I dont understand why BMW did the switch for those RFT anyway.
    On friday aug 11th i woke up an find that the tire that had an nail in it
    i had a flat RFT.Remember I was suppose to go back to my dealer on friday
    aug. 18 th?Call the service manager Jim, back on Monday aug 14th telling
    him about my problem that i couldnt wait till friday.So he had a look at
    it an just by passing his hand(honest to god) on my 4 RFT,said that
    something was wrong with the 2 front tires.He didnt even have to test
    drive the car!!!After complaining and talking a bit about my problem(by
    the way he was trying to deny it) with the handling and tires he told me
    that he's gonna try to get 2 brand new tires from Bridgestone for me.Again
    i was telling him about getting 2 new tires in front 1 with a nail at the
    back an another one but used at the back.Do you think that my car gonna
    run great with 2 new only?I dont think!So again saying to me that he'll
    see what they can do with that,an call me back later on Monday.I was on my
    way back home when my BMW dealer Elite,Ottawa,Canada call me back saying
    that i have to come back cause bridgestone wants the serial numbers for my
    tires and tread measurement.So i had to go back tuesday morning aug. 15 in
    order to give them the information.So i went back with that.I told me that
    he is trying to get me 4 new tires from Bridgestone.While I was waiting
    for my car i've look around on their lot to see if their 3-series was
    equipped with Conti or Bridgestone.It was about half.Anyway he is suppose
    to call me back this tuesday or wednesday.Even if they replace with 4 new
    should I have confidence with those Bridgestone tires???No.Remember my
    dealer Elite Bmw,Ottawa was supposed to change at least 2 tires and was
    trying for 4 tires.So i went back on friday August 18 th 2006 ,so they can
    change my tires.Arrive there at 8h00 am.The service manager Jim Deloughery
    told me that he didn get info since tuesday from Pierre the regional BMW
    service Manager....very customer oriented!!!So told me that he's gonna
    order 2 tires(EL 42)right away to install in front of my car saying that
    Brigdestone was back order so he cant get 4...I said ok.wait for about 2
    hours.Went back to get my car guess what?...He had just install 1
    tire!!!another bs from that manager Jim saying that he was enable to get
    the other tire on time ... I had to leave at 11h00 am cause I was heading
    to Buffalo,NY about 6 hr from my place!.I tolm him that I was not happy
    about that run around the entire week and ask him why that he had wait to
    order those tires in the day i was leaving!!!What he did its first he
    install the new tire in front and the one that was in front at the
    back.Again saying to me that he'll get back to me this week.Do you think
    that it was safe for me to drive 6 HRS with tires like
    that???Anyway....... Got back to me on tuesday August 22 telling me that
    BMW WONT DO ANYTHING FOR MY PROBLEM!So Im stuck with:1 feathered tire at
    the front,the other one at the front new,the one that was at the front now
    at the back(feathered) and the one I had at the back still there.WERE
    TALKING BMW HERE RIGHT?How can you promess something to somebody and lyied
    about it?IT WONT STOP THERE.I just call back customer service and I was
    talking to Richard Deschamps over there telling him the run around.He took
    some note and tolm me that he will get back to me no later than tommorow
    with a answer.I told him that I was done with Bridgestone and what I want
    to be done was to get 4 new CONTICONTACT tires like other customer did at
    NO CHARGE.So he call me back saying AGAIN that they can do anything cause
    I have to many KM....easy exit.But I'm complaining since the BEGINNING.He
    wanted me to contact Bridgestone with my problem I said what?.Who sold me
    that car BMW or Bridgestone???After all I just want my car to run like a
    brand new one.Remember I have been dealing with that problem since I had
    2000 KM.How can a company like BMW can threat their customer like that and
    think that the customer gonna back to BMW.I tought you were customer
    oriented.I'm a just tired of the run around.I'm in that business and I
    dont think that you cant afford to lose customer for $800 set of
    Continental rft tires(at tire rack.com).I had other cars before like
    Saturn,Vw,Mitsubishi and had problem before but at least they were happy
    to fix my problem and fast....no RUN AROUND!How come I had better service
    with those companies???I guess my BMW was not expensive enough or I didnt
    buy a 7- series?I thought you where the best in service..... Why do I
    have to go through that???Why are you giving me such a hard time.I just
    hope that I'm gonna be able to be satisfied(finally) with that car.I just
  • 06330i06330i Member Posts: 1
    Here's one for you. At 4:30 p.m. one week ago, I leased a new '06 330i sport/prem/cold pkg. Has 18" Bridgestone summer RFTs.
    My first new car in a long while BMW after 3 '95 Audi S6's in various degrees of tune.
    Finance guy offers me wheel & tire insurance for $450. I'm a car guy but I'd never heard that Run Flats can't be patched. I asked to wait a day on that insurance while I research it, and drive the new car off the lot, to a meeting, then home. Get up early the next morning, pull out, and the low tire pressure warning comes on. Sure enough, a screw through the tread on the rear. Went back to the dealer who "let" me sign up for the insurance which covered the bill of $426 for one rear Pontenza! That is an outrageous price, but even worse is I must travel thinking about where might I buy a RFT if I ever get a flat. Hope it doesn't happen on a weekend or holiday.
    Also annoying is the tire insurance doesn't cover winter wheels and tires, even if they're BMW.
    Does anyone have experience with 18" all seasons on an '06 330i in the snow (P Zero Nero m+S?)? In light of the expense of the Run flats, I may buy a set of all seasons, wear them out, then turn the car in with the RFT's as required.
    Can we speak as a class action to BMW to get them to get us tires with a spare and jack?
    THanks,
    Dan
    I noted several postings here that the Continental RFTs are quieter and have a smoother ride than the Bridgestone RFTs.

I just called Tirerack for their opinion. They commented that the Continentals would be quieter, but they doubted I would notice much if any difference in ride quality as both are RFTs with stiff sidewalls.

I'm trying to decide if its worth spending the money to replace the Bridgestones, with have 7,500 miles on them, with Continentals to try and mitigate ride harshness and bottoming out. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • kilbudakilbuda Member Posts: 4
    FYI, my dealer tells me that Bridgestone has changed their rubber compound to address the issue. Not that helps you now, but, perhaps it gives you another angle on dealership replace or helping you switch out. Waiting on more info on comparing these 2 tires as well.
    Do not even think about it twice. The difference between the Continentals is like night and day. You will start to LOVE the car again.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I have a 330XI with SP. The sport package on the xi does NOT include sport suspension tuning as on the i.

I had an EL42 flat and replaced with new also. I can tell you the RFT's will all be more rugged on ride quality. My experience is the same, harsh over any uneven bumps. The tires do last with zero pressure as I rode mine for 100 miles on empty.

I do notice a striking handling difference over the '06 330i i drove for 1,000 niles earlier this year. The suspension might not be sport-tuned but deffinatly is tighter rhan the standard i non-sp.

Even though BMW does not recommend patch, I will run with patch next flat because there is no way to keep tire wear even unless you by 4 new at the high cost.
    Thanks. Good to hear. I have been hearing that in a few places now. Hopefully treadwear and puncture issues are better with the Contis as well.
  • paflyerpaflyer Member Posts: 10
    Which Conti RFT model are you refering to since they have more than one model. I just saw the "Conti Procontacts" at Tire rack but with no reviews. I havd OEM on my 330i and they are NOISEY to say the least. No flats yet than goodness. I do have the insurance friom the dealership. Is it transferable to any nnewer tires. :confuse:
  • bpl360bpl360 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for best OEM all season RFTs for an 06 325xi (with 17's w/ sport pkg.) to start with/change to... Have heard nothing good about any Bridgestone OEM RFTs. Dealer has stated this has been remedied, but, have nothing in writing to confirm. Waiting on delivery and have been hearing zero good about RFTs. Am considering AAA Plus instead of BMW insurance. There has been some talk of being able to repair/plug the tires if no sidewall damage and short distance on flat. Sorry, don't know about BMW insurance transferability.
    The Continentals I just ordered are the ContiProContact All-Season RFTs. I assume this is what others here were referring to as alternatives to the Bridgestone EL42s.

I also noticed several choices in 225/45-17 RFTs listed by Tirerack, but only two were all-season.

Bruce
    You got the right ones ! Wait 'til you get 'em on ...you'll think you got a new car. (P.S..... seems that these are the same ones that BMW is now shipping as the OEM tires on the 3 series)
  • paflyerpaflyer Member Posts: 10
    How long have you had the Conti Procontact RFT tires on your BMW. I have the Bridgestones on mine they are getting noisier day by day. There seems to be no reviews on this tire at Tierrack.com. It must fairly new to the market. I also noted that it has a tire wear indicator number of 400 Vs the 180 number on the Bridgestones which should indicate that they will last twice as long if used fairly conservatively. Maybe the rubber compound is not as soft. The speed type is the same as is the load capacity of heat resistance.

I sure do wish Michelin had :mad: a model out in a RFT. None is listed at Tirerack. The Michelin web site has some info on it but doubt they are even in production yet.
    I got the Continentals installed on Saturday, and they are most definitely an improvement! They are much quieter than the Bridgestones. They also provide a better, less harsh ride.

I'm very glad I made the switch. I feel BMW made a big mistake using the Bridgestones.

Bruce
    Glad you like the Contis! Have you heard anyone say how they hold up? Frankly, I am seriously, considering NOT accepting delivery on my 06325xi and lose my deposit after hearing all this about BMW run flats!
  • coztabukcoztabuk Member Posts: 2
    I am 38 years old and have never purchased a new vehicle. I decided it was time to spend some of my hard earned money and enjoy what many people have experienced, their first new car. After exhaustively searching, I new the BMW 325i was the car I wanted. No B.S., no financing, just negotiate the deal and pay the ticket, until I read all the negative posts about Run Flat Tires. I work as an outdoor A.E. and cannot afford to have the down time or tire life that I have read about. To all who have posted, THANKS! You have saved one person from making what I feel would have been a big mistake. I still want the BMW, but I will wait and see over the next year how they decide to resolve the tire problem. If I am going to spend 37k in one stroke of the pen, I do not expect to have an issue with tires to the point that I actually have to get a special warranty because of flats, wear problems, and if that isn't enough a poor life expectancy (which means in my job a minimum of replacing every 6-8 months). It is truly a shame when a company like BMW has this type of problem on a car otherwise getting tremendous reviews.