Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

FWD, AWD, RWD and the Luxury Performance Sedans

2»

Comments

• habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    It's only a matter of time when RWD will be history.

You know, just when I thought we had almost agreed that RWD vs. AWD has a lot of subjective preference aspects to it, you make a (dumb [non-permissible content removed]) absolute statement like that. :confuse:

Let me point out that the Nissan GT-R is a two seat so-called sports car that weighs a smidgeon under TWO TONS. It is a boatload closer in weight to our old Isuzu Trooper (only 500 lbs less) than it is to my former Honda S2000 (1,100 lbs more) or even a 911S (750 lbs more). Imagine a 900 pound male African Cape Buffalo in the passenger seat of a Ferrari 430 and that's what the GT-R is in weight.

Let me also point out that Nissan is jumping up and down and Edmunds reviewers are drooling on their keyboards typing up reviews becasue the AWD GT-R posted a time that is supposedly a whopping 2 seconds faster around a 14 mile track than the AWD 911 Turbo. But they forget to mention that the GT-R is a second slower than the considerably less powerful RWD 911 GT3 and is a full seven seconds behind the new 911 GT2. Which is, essentially a lighter weight, sportier RWD version of the AWD 911 Turbo. Oops, forgot to mention that, Nissan and Edmunds.

The Nissan GT-R proves nothing in my book. On paper, the 350Z performs neck and neck with the Honda S2000 and Boxster S. But it is also 400-500 lbs heavier than either and behind the wheel, feels like a bloated pig in comparison. Am I capable of posting an 8:40 time around The Ring or telling the difference between 1,2 or even 7 seconds in ultimate capability? Heck no. But I sure as hell can tell when I've got a Cape Buffalo in my passenger seat.

So let's get back to some restrained diplomacy, shall we? I know YOU like the added security and traction of AWD and prefer it in all driving conditions. But if we EVER get to the point where the standard weight for a 2 seat sports car is TWO TONS, I want out.

And, by the way, Happy New Year. Our automotive differences do not deter me in the least from wishing you and your family the very best in 2008. :)
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Habitat, I am not trying to prove anything by my absolute statements. The weight is the diminishing factor in this technology, no doubt. I assume that will be solved ultimately anyway. I, as you, can not take a GT3 around the 'ring at 10/10ths either.

The point is that AWD is blossoming and rwd is waning. Which is better to YOU is understood and highly respected. I would assume RWD will be limited in scope in the next 20 years as the golf analogy you wittingly submitted shows the 18th green final put 1/10,000 of a millimeter closer to the cup.

There is no argument to the superiority of RWD in the sporting sense and ditto with an MT. Pushed to the limit (unwittingly), however, takes years of training but add bad weather and an untrained driving public and it is a recipe for additional road fatalities (which are showing a positive downward trend no doubt due to the technology improvements).

I wish you and yours much health, prosperity and happiness in the New Year as well. I do so enjoy and respect all of your phenomenal knowledge put forth in these forums.

Now let me put my mind to decreasing the result of my Male African Cape Buffalo-like my holiday feasting! I do not want to add insult to injury in my already over-bloated 330xi.

Regards,
    OW
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "The point is that AWD is blossoming and rwd is waning."

Hmmm, I beg to differ. While I don't have the numbers handy, there have been so many new RWD cars marketed here in the U.S. in the half decade or so that are either replacements of previous FWD models (think 300M to 300C for instance) or entirely new models from companies that previously did almost all FWD (think Lexus IS and Infiniti G and M for instance), that if anything, RWD is blossoming right along side of AWD. The only drive system that seems to be suffering in the moderate to high end market is FWD.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    ...that if anything, RWD is blossoming right along side of AWD. The only drive system that seems to be suffering in the moderate to high end market is FWD.

Shipo, 30 years ago, there were no all-wheel drive US made cars. Now the 300C has an AWD option, as does the CTS, Ford 500, MXZ, STS, Montego, Sebring, Charger, Magnum, Avenger, etc. I won't even go global because of the advancement proliferated long ago, particularly in Europe.

My point is AWD is not going away and the desire is there in the market which is on the rise. 1978 saw the first US consumer application of FWD. FWD is slowly going away and I predict the same will happen to RWD in the average consumer models. Your point is true regarding the increase in RWD models as FWD dies out...I just think the mass market will choose AWD as time goes by.

Happy New Year and best wishes to you and your family.

Regards,
    OW
    Wow, this sounds a lot like the "death of the manual transmission" predicions over in that other forum.

Let's review. AWD costs, on the average $2,000 more than RWD (my guess - about that on a 3 series, $5,800 on a 911, less on others). It adds anywhere from 150 to 250+ pounds to the vehicle's weight. It dulls the handling, steering and overall dry weather performance of the more sporting versions of some cars. It doubles the number of moving drivetrain parts, increases maintenance costs, increases the potential for costly repairs. It decreases fuel economy at a time when CAFE standards have been raised.

There is no doubt that some buyers strongly prefer the foul weather advantages of AWD. But if it was such a foregone conclusion that it will become the preferred choice, why the heck hasn't that happened with the Mercedes E class. The relative cost is low, given the price of the car. These aren't the most performance oriented sport sedans to begin with. The Mercedes 4-matic has been available on the E-class for at least 16+ years (a co-worker had a 1991 300E Sedan 4-matic). And yet, on the E-class, I believe the percentage of AWD to RWD sales is less than 25% and has remained relatively stable for the past several years. For other Mercedes models, the 4-matic option is even less popular.

I actually heard a different prediction the other day on CNBC or Bloomberg business News (forget which). It was that we may end up seeing passenger vehicles go on a serious diet to get the weights down to help improve fuel efficiency to meet CAFE requirements. They pointed out that the average small to mid size car has gone from 2,400 lbs to nearly 3,400 lbs in the past 25 years. That does not bode well for AWD in areas that do not have enough snow to justify the additional weight and fuel penalty.

P.S. Washington DC has a 6% sales tax on vehicles under 3,500 lbs and a 7% tax on vehicles over 3,500 lbs. At one time, it was jokingly called the "SUV penalty". Now a BMW 3 series can get hit with it.
    OK, remember, first, it's just a personal prediction. 2nd, ALL cars (especially mine) need to go on a weight watcher's campaign as you duly noted.

Heck, the new base CTS is 3,500 lbs. with the 210 HP V-6 RWD. I know the AWD adds weight. So does all the air bags and gizmo options, sound insulation, etc.

Let's see how they can reduce weight and add fuel efficiency...a 3-series with TT engine gets in the 20's at the 3,600 lb. mark with 300/300 power. Even your C2S gets economy-car efficiency equal to rust buckets of the '80's that weighed 2,400 lbs.

Hopefully the metals technology can help.

Regards,
    OW
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's have some refreshments and continue this conversation here in the drawing room where we've all been herded. Help yourself to what's on the table over there in the corner. Enjoy! ;)
    Even your C2S gets economy-car efficiency equal to rust buckets of the '80's that weighed 2,400 lbs.

Only according to the EPA sticker (18/25 in 2005). In reality, I can get 26-27 on the highway, but only average 13 +/- around town.

Comparing my 3,000 lb Maxima SE (rated 22/27) and my 3,400+ lb Acura TL 6-speed (20/29), the TL also gets much worse around town (16 vs. 20+) when you have to start and stop that extra weight.

And lastly, remember the old Civic CRX (?) from the early 1980's. They were small, but a buddy got one and I distinctly remember driving with him on a 350 mile trip and filling up with a hair over 6 gallons gallons at the end. He routinely got over 50 mpg on the highway in that car, better than today's hybrid Prius.

I'm not advocating that we dump all of the safety and structural improvements of todays cars for the sake of getting a few more MPG. But, just like I'm personally feeling right now, carrying an extra 10% more weight on my frame doesn't help my performance. Back to hitting the pavement and gym after the holidays.
    Back to hitting the pavement and gym after the holidays.

I am with you! I am a little surprised at your city number on your C2S. I would have guessed 16-18.

It is interesting that car companies have not conquered the added weight issue considering the new tech metals available vs. 30 years ago. At least the rust issue seems a success.

If you look at the difference in the 3 and 1 series regarding weight, there is not much difference and there should be.

The new M3 weighs in at 3,648 lbs.

There is a lot of work to be done to get to my magic 3,000 lb. limit. Perhaps after the HorsePowerWars, we can start the WeightWatchersWars!

Regards and Happy New Year!
    OW
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    It should be:

FWD, RWD, F/AWD, R/AWD.

F/AWD for front torque biased AWD or AWD derived from a FWD based chasis.

R/AWD for rear torque biased AWD or 4WD/4X4.

What I see in the marketplace is more and more RWD vehicles being introduced and more and more FWD being "converted" to F/AWD to avoid the stigma now being (slowly) assigned by the buying public due to the patently UNSAFE nature of these BEASTS.

No 4WD/4X4 driver with any level of experience whatsoever would dare leave the center diff'l locked once underway "at speed" on a snow or ice covered roadway. But basically that's what a FWD or F/AWD is, a 4WD/4X4 vehicle traveling down the ice or snow covered hwy with the center diff'l locked.

The ideal drive system IMMHO would be one that provides equal torque to all four, or maybe even is a bit front torque biased, as long as directional control is not threatened nor directional control is being imposed by the driver. In that case the front torque biasing should be reduced incrementally as the lateral forces build.

It looks to me as if the 4runner's (R)/AWD mode does exactly that.

I wish the RX350 did the same.

But I would willingly accept an RX with the SH-AWD (F/R/AWD..??) system.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, the emphasis here is the luxury performance sedans - we'll leave it as it is for now. ;)

Happy New Year everyone!! :D
    I have seen a lot of new 5 and 3 series cars aound town (Central NJ) and they were all the xi 335/535xi versions...you'd think we were deep in the snow belt or something! Do those owners know something I don't?

The thing is, the buying public (non-enthusiasts) are voting for the traction upgrade, particularly on the high-end sedans as it becomes an available option. If you add the pending CUV/SAV/?AV craze to the list of AWD vehicles in the US and Europe, this trend continues unabated.

Oh well, there is still the Lexus top end hold out...Infinity,Cadillac, Lincoln have crumbled to AWD options and Mercedes long ago. Even Porsche, king of the sports car went mad awhile back! Audi and Subaru really led the way as far as sedans go.

Will it ever go back to strictly RWD?

Happy New Year and Best Regards to All.
    OW

No - and it shouldn't. There are a lot of folks out there that want/need AWD and if I were to move back to my former hometown, with 100+ inches of snow a year, I'd test drive both a 535i and ix before I made up my mind.

If there is any drivetrain configuration that should get the axe it is FWD for anything other than small econoboxes. My TL 6-speed would be a great car with RWD, but the FWD drivetrain is a detriment to my driving enjoyment. I suspect it will be the last FWD car I ever own.

By the way, I just got the new issue of Porsche's "Christophorus" magazine with the new 911 GT2 on the cover. Pretty amazing. 530hp, 501 ft-lbs of torque in a RWD chassis that comes in with a curb weight of 3,175 lbs. It doesn't beat the AWD's 0-60 time, but the early test track times around Nurburgring put it way ahead of the Turbo, the Nissan GT-R and within a second or two of the all time production car record holder, the $450,000 Carerra GT. It certainly appears that Porsche still considers RWD the way to go in a pure sports car.
    I absolutely agree regarding pure sports and rwd/MT, no-nannies, please. I read up on the GT-2 and you can use it as a daily driver to boot! Awesome but since it will be a limited edition, I'll bet the MSRP will skyrocket in the re-sale arena.

I understand it's not good to invest in autos but it is enticing to be able to get some excitement and a little earnings at the same time. The GT-2, like the F-430, are my rendition of going for broke and smiling all the way! When I retire, I'd like to spend half my time on the course and half at the track...sans AWD!!!

Regards,
    OW
    Well here it is, the second day of January, and our town has already had almost 50" of snow this season. In fact, most of the towns in our area (including ours) eclipsed the previous mark for snow in December, a mark that (in every case) has stood for 131 years (December 1876), and by a healthy ten to fifteen percent margin too I might add.

All in all, I have not seen a single snow fall since we've lived up here that would justify the expense, weight and loss of responsiveness of an AWD system. That said, the poor folks who live on the east side of our street are traction challenged with even a dusting, and in almost every case, they NEED a vehicle equipped with AWD to even have a chance of getting up their driveways. I say a "chance" because even that is often not enough. A couple of weeks back one of our neighbors came home late and in spite of the fact that the plow had already cleared his driveway (it snowed an inch or two after the plow came), and in spite of the fact that he took his usual running start, he only made it half way up with his winter tire shod Audi A6 Quattro before he lost traction and slid some twenty feet back down, finally coming to a stop completely sideways.

If I lived on that side of the street, I'd be driving AWD cars as well, that said, my driveway has only a 9% grade and presents no challenge for any car with a decent set of tires, regardless of drivetrain layout.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks for this update and there are no panaceas for any wheel drive...I understand you can get a heated driveway to help with ice but for long driveways, I doubt the expense is worth it. I also do not think it would be that effective in 1 inch/hour snow at below 10 degrees F.

I hope the rest of the season bodes well for your neighbors. Does anyone by you use tire chains? With AWD, I would assume that somehow this would work well for certain untenable snow/ice conditions. Perhaps your A6 neighbor can use this option.

Regards,
    OW
    If I lived on that side of the street, I'd be driving AWD cars as well

Haven't the people on that side of the street heard of a cheaper alternative to AWD? It's called a snow shovel? I can't imagine getting AWD not because of the streets and highways, but because of my own driveway. :confuse:
    You haven't seen these driveways. Two hundred feet and easy thirty degree incline.

The couple that got their Audi stuck are natives of Boston and Manila. When they were house shopping he, being from Boston and all, said, "No way, not that house. We'll never get up that driveway in the winter time." She, being from Manila and having no understanding of what snow can do to a driveway said, "Oh yes, it's either THAT house or Manila." ;-)

They have a Jeep, a 4WD Dodge Ram, an AWD Volvo and the Audi A6 Quattro, and all four cars have problems getting up that driveway.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    It's a far cry from Manilla but forget a sedan for that house...

Regards,
    OW
    Two hundred feet and easy thirty degree incline.

An AWD "car" wouldn't help much. I don't know of any that can handle a 30+ degree angle of approach. If the driveway is really that steep, they would be bottoming out coming and going and leaving bumpers and other car parts on the street. Even the average crossover SUV couldn't handle that angle of approach.

Not to challenge your 30 degree incline estimate, but to put that in some perspective, 15 percent (not degrees) is the steepest commercial driveway angle allowed by building codes in my area. And it causes enough problems. When we were developing a condo project, I checked out another project that had an underground garage that everybody complained about. It had been built prior to the current code and was estimated to be at least 25 percent. I measured it with my engineer and it was 80 feet in horizontal length, dropping 15 feet. That's "only" 18.8 percent. Thirty degrees would be a 58% slope (rise would be equal to 1/2 of the total length). In your neighbors 200 feet long driveway, it would have to rise 100 feet for it to be a 30 degree slope. I've seen those kind of slopes, but they are usually marked with black (or double black) diamonds. And even then, a 1,500 foot vertical drop on a 3,000 foot long slope would be a challenge for me in my younger days.

The only vehicle I would own in that situation would be a Range Rover. A BMW "xi" anything would be a joke.

Perhaps you meant a 30 percent slope?

P.S. Trigonometry aside, it sounds like people in your area are getting good exercise. ;)
    A guestimate though it is, I'm sticking with my 30 degree slope (I'm betting that it's at least 25 degrees and might even be a bit steeper than 30). True it isn't that steep right from the street, however, it ramps up to that intensity pretty quickly.

I'll see if I can't stack a few bricks and cross them with a level and get a picture, those driveways are absolutely insane.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341

I hope not. I drive an RL in DC where I live and have rarely needed the AWD it offers. However, I just returned from Nebraska where I was driving a rental RWD 300M. On Christmas Day, I had to spend the night in a motel because on the straight-as-an-arrow, flat-as-a-pancake Interstate, I was sliding around. FWD and AWD cars were passing me with no problem. No way would I ever own another RWD!
    Uhhh, the 300M is a FWD car.

FWIW, well setup RWD car is easily a match for an otherwise similar car with the FWD layout. True, not all RWD cars are created equal, but if you buy one with roughly a 50-50 weight distribution, a good skid control system and put winter tires on it, it'll be tough to beat no matter how slippery it gets out there.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Uhhh, the 300M is a FWD car.

Sorry, I misspoke - it was a Chrysler 300, a 2008 model, which is RWD (an AWD version is available, but my rental was not AWD).

FWIW, well setup RWD car is easily a match for an otherwise similar car with the FWD layout. True, not all RWD cars are created equal, but if you buy one with roughly a 50-50 weight distribution, a good skid control system and put winter tires on it, it'll be tough to beat no matter how slippery it gets out there.

I don't know how well it's setup since I know nothing about the 300. All I know is that driving 35 mph with no hills or curves I had trouble maintaining control of the car. In the DC area with our hills, FWD or AWD are nearly a necessity when it snows. I'm sure an excellent driver with winter tires can do fine in snow with RWD, but most people are not excellent drivers and most people around here do not buy snow tires.
    In the DC area with our hills,

You must live in a part of DC I am unfamiliar with. We are near Ft. Reno, the highest elevation in the district and it is a whopping 450+/- feet above sea level. I'll let Shipo do the coversion, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find any grades of more than 5% on a public street here.

I think tires are a bigger factor than you realize. In DC, I never had the slightest problem getting around in my old FWD Nissan Maxima SE. With the higher performance tires that came on my Acura TL 6-speed, I was slipping around on packed snow. My wife and I owned an Isuzu Trooper for 9 years and 90,000 miles and I could count on both hands the number of times we shifted it from RWD into 4WD using the gear shift for the transfer case.
    You must live in a part of DC I am unfamiliar with....but I think you'd be hard pressed to find any grades of more than 5% on a public street here..

In my experience, it doesn't have to be a very steep grade to cause problems. The gently rolling hills, of which there are many in Northern VA, are very difficult to negotiate with RWD in any kind of heavy traffic when it's snowing (unless you have snow tires and are a very good driver), especially the kind of wet, heavy snow we usually get in this area. Last winter I was in Fairfax City when it began snowing. By the time I got on the roads, it was very slick. Going a nice, steady pace, I had no problems negotiating the hills between there and Arlington. The RWD cars, on the other hand, were slipping and sliding all over the place - especially when they had to slow or stop midway up a hill. I agree it's not often you need AWD in this area, but when conditions such as those arise, I want either AWD or FWD.
    I had no problems negotiating the hills between there and Arlington. The RWD cars, on the other hand, were slipping and sliding all over the place - especially when they had to slow or stop midway up a hill.

I am sure that if you are from Nebraska, you realize that we live in an extremely snow-challenged area where many drivers could have a frontal lobotomy and it would IMPROVE their skills. Hell, they cancel schools at the forecast of snow here. If they had done that in my snow belt hometown, I wouldn't be coaching 4th grade girls basketball, I'd still be trying to graduate from grade school myself.

Many of the more upscale RWD cars that you see on the streets here - BMW's Mercedes, Jaguars, etc - often come with high performance, low profile, summer compound tires as standard. Forget the fact that the owners are hardly "high performance" drivers, but then you add the additional insult to injury that such tires perform horribly in snow. The summer compound gets hard as a rock and the tread pattern is counterproductive. One of the women in a business lunch group I belong to drives a Jag S type and will not even leave her condo if there is snow in the forecast. And yet the idiot (at least on this count) replaced her tires last year with more of the same Pirelli summer compound tires, claiming it's "better for handling". This woman wouldn't know good handling if Enzo Ferrari showed up at her front door with the keys to a 430 Modena. :confuse:

I am sure your AWD RL could run circles around my summer tire equiped TL 6-speed. But I am equally confident that I could run circles around most of the AWD cars with my old Nissan Maxima with all season tires, based solely on snow driving experience, decent tires and a functioning brain. And the next time I need to replace my TL tires, I think I'll try using it myself.
    I am sure that if you are from Nebraska, you realize that we live in an extremely snow-challenged area where many drivers could have a frontal lobotomy and it would IMPROVE their skills.

To a great extent, you are right. However, to be fair, the snow we get here is different from what usually falls in western Nebraska where I'm from. Here it's wet, heavy snow that often freezes for a little while after it starts snowing providing a delightfully slippery driving surface. The snow I generally experienced growing up in western Nebraska was light, fluffy stuff that you could drive in until it got deep enough to high-center in or it piled into 6-ft drifts.
    Hell, they cancel schools at the forecast of snow here. If they had done that in my snow belt hometown, I wouldn't be coaching 4th grade girls basketball, I'd still be trying to graduate from grade school myself.

If they didn't, the insurance companies would claim bankruptcy from the accidents and road-rage results. That's why the typical driving public would be much safer just to buy an AWD optioned sedan and call it even.

Regards,
    OW
  • unlimitedjoeunlimitedjoe Member Posts: 79
    of automobile magazine, and on the front cover it had the R8 car of the year on it.
    hoping someday, it will come in a sedan.

happy new year & safe & fun driving gentleman!
    you are correct, infact its AWD that will be gone in a matter of time, if all racing circuits keep banning audi quattro from racing (especially from the boys at porche).

so my question to habitat1 is, why doesnt porche put the GT2 in, and race the awd audi boys?

imho any rwd boys have no chance of victory against QUATTRO, so they banned them instead.

kind of makes you think who's making a, d a statement.

happy & healthy new year to you & your's!

UJ
    Look, Joe, you can make or justify your decision for getting an AWD sedan based upon its use an Audi race car if you want. Heck, you can base it on sunspot events, for all I care, with about the same degree of relevancy.

Audi's success with their R10 TDI race car is impressive. But it has nothing to do with my evaluation of or decision regarding a family sedan, sport sedan or sports car. With the exception of the limited production R8, Audi doesn't even make a sports car, and the company's "sport" sedans are exceedingly heavy and dull compared to every one of their comparable counterparts from BMW, IMO. I have driven the A4 and A6 Quatro's on several occasionas as service loaners and was entirely underwhelmed by their performance and driving feel.

With respect to the R8, I'll get my chance to give an informed opinion on January 24. My Porsche dealer is also an Audi dealer and they are having a special charity event to celebrate their move to a new location/showroom. I have been promised a 10 minute test drive in the R8. I am working on the Porsche GM to allow me a test drive of his personal GT3 back to back to compare. But, for what it's worth, look at the numbers:

R8 vs. GT3

Horsepower: 420 vs. 415 = Audi 5 more
    Torque: 317 vs. 300 = Audi 17 more
    Curb weight: 3,605 vs. 3,075 = Audi 530 lbs more (ouch!)
    0-60: 4.4 vs. 3.9 = Porsche 0.5 faster
    EPA: 13/20 vs. 17/24 = Porsche 25%+/- more fuel efficient.

You are welcome to pretend you are in a R10 TDI driving your AWD sedan. Of course, to be true to the Audi, you'd need to replace your engine with a diesel powerplant. And replace your manual transmission or slushbox automatic with a $25k+ DSG. And replace your tires with 150 mile treadlife slicks, lower the car down to 1/2 inch over the pavement, stiffen the suspension to handle 3 g turns, put in a roll cage and 5 point racing harness, throw in a fire extinguisher or two....

Me, I'll stick with the reality that a street legal production sport sedan or sports car is a different animal than a multi million dollar purpose built race car. And Audi might do well to take just a little of that engineering prowess from Formula One and redirect it to making their production cars a little less obese.
  • jc07jc07 Member Posts: 5
    As a recent Audi purchaser (2008 A6 4.2) I relied heavily on all these boards to learn about other owner experiences and, of course, make the fateful BMW vs Audi comparison.

I think Habitat1 has hit the nail on the head: a street legal production "performance luxury sedan," Audi or BMW, that I can find in a showroom or order from a dealer is so far removed from the racing vehicles that we read about in these discussions that the debates basically become purely hypothetical. These are not vehicles I am going to be driving anytime soon -- at least not on the way to work on with my family!

And my two humble cents on why I chose the Audi over the 5-series:

1) Interior quality blew away BMW. Not even close.
    2) Exterior A6 design is cleaner than the busy, over-designed 5 series. (IMHO)
    3) The 4.2's V-8 and sport suspension helps adjust for "obesity," although it still does not touch the 5-series for handling.
    Is there that much of a difference in the AWD "feel" of the A6 vs. the 5'er to make a difference. Obviously, not in your case. It seems to be like splitting hairs.

The 5 is a porker to an enthusiast due to the way over 3,000 lb. weight of an E60/61. That is why it is in a different class and I would think from the amount of these I see on the roads, quite a popular car for an non-enthusiast.

The A6 must be very close to the 535xi.

As previously reported, I see more xi versions than the standard i where I live. The marketing hype seems to be doing just fine for BMW. The real answer is these are all fine cars and there is no collusive plan to overthrow the enthusiasts at BMW.

This seems to be a new day at BMW and the weight thing is relative. The new M3 is not going to change anytime soon retrospect to the pre-2000 M series weight/size class. At >400 HP, there is enough sport in this evolution and I am sure the chassis should handle the added power just fine.

Regards,
    OW
  • jc07jc07 Member Posts: 5
    I found a difference in handling (but not that I drive in a way that will remind me of that). Also - the 535i & xi have the new straight six with twin turbos. That engine is unbelievable from a dead stop. But again, I am not going to typically operate the vehicle that way.....

Overally very happy with my Audi.

Regards
    Here's wishing you the best in your A6.

Regards,
    OW
    how are you,

we must have some kind of misunderstanding, my feeling with you is that rwd is more superior than awd?

if i'm wrong, EXCUSE ME please.

because my opinion has been obvious, that AWD vs RWD is only tenths of a second difference, either way!

safe & fun driving gentleman! :)
  • jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    that as we grow older we learn to compromise.

I test drove a 528XI and found it handled great but did not have enough power. I tried the 535XI and was wowed by it. I read the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety report on side impact and decided against it.

For me the next best thing is an A6. Because I'm old and learning to compromise I drive an AWD with all seasons. I get in the car and whatever nature throws at me I pretty much can deal with it. So maybe Shipo and the rest of you guys should calm down, learn how to be tolerant and let us old guys feel good about driving our AWD's:). We feel safe in them.
    well said, infact when my son who is 22 is pasing me at the track,( amongst many other highend RWD sport cars. i also own a Z06) yes i worry for his safety, but understand the joy of racing, and that his somewhat modified R32 is a blast to ride!
    so to say whats better is only in theory( awd or rwd ) in which is more faster or nimble comes down to the driver, and how fast or hooked up his ride is.

when it comes to stock cars, in everyday driving, the significant difference comes down to weather, be it dry, wet, snowy or even sandy, for me it will always be AW Driving!

safe & fun driving gentleman. :)
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Actually, it has nothing to do with which is quicker, more stable, or safer. It's all about how satisfying it is behind the wheel.

If I had to deal with a lot of inclement weather, instead of a 335xi, I'd buy a 335i and a 10 year-old Nissan Pathfinder.
    to each his own.

happy new year FLM.

UJ
    we must have some kind of misunderstanding, my feeling with you is that rwd is more superior than awd?

My opinion is that neither AWD nor RWD can/should be described as objectively "superior" in a general sense for all circumstances. They each have their pros and cons and it is the subjective priorities/preferences of the buyer that will dictate which might be better for them.

Track times are certainly interesting. But my preference for "nimbleness" and "responsiveness" can't be fully measured with the standard 0-60, lateral g's or even Nurburgring track times. From my personal experience, two cars can have similar "numbers" but feel very different, especially if one weighs significanly more than the other. But again, that is my personal, subjective preference. As I think circlew and I agreed long ago, one person's "nimbleness" can be another person's 'lightfootedness" and one person's "heavy" can be another person's "planted".

Cheers.
    Spot On, as usual. When a car impresses you and meets your special requirements, go with it. If it feels right for you, it is.

Regards,
    OW
    RWD is superior to AWD, F/AWD that is.

If I can't have a R/AWD then a good alternative is RWD.
    when you say superior to f/awd, i guess you mean your own opinion, driving experience, when you test drove the vehicles.
    because audi racing would beg to differ, they are banned from most events.

i no that they where banned for being, truely more superior!

safe & fun driving.
    UJ
    because audi racing would beg to differ, they are banned from most events.

I can concede that a highly sophisticated, lightweight race car version of AWD might be an advantage on some tracks. Just like a thumb activated SMG gearbox has an advantage in keeping both hands on the wheel as you try to negotiate 3 g hairpin turns. But I still prefer a three pedal manual in a sports car that is "only" capable of 1.0 g's. Race car analogies have their limitations. Otherwise, Goodyear would be trying to sell racing slicks to AWD sedan buyers gullible enough to think that because Shumacher uses them, they must be right for the street.

I don't know the full story of Audi and why, at least by your posts, they seem to be beating their head against the rules of Formula One or whatever circuit(s) you are referring to. There are tons of rules about what you can and can't do that all of the automakers have to comply with. And, if you recall, its been 20 years since the AWD Porsche 959 was introduced and obliterated everybody in a few racing contests, including Audi, I believe.

My issue with Audi is similar to my issue with Acura. They both clearly have some extraordinary engineering talent from their racing division. But that talent hasn't made its way into street production cars to the extent I would like. Rather than applaud Audi for having a race car that doesn't compy with the rules, perhaps you and others should encourage Audi to take some of that technology into the showrooms. There is no reason, IMO, that a two seat "sports car" should weigh 650 lbs more than my old 1995 Nissan Maxima, AWD notwithstanding. For my part, I'll try to encourage Acura to do something with their engineering prowess other than just the Honda S2000. Like a RWD TL or a flagship RL that actually performs like a flagship and not a gussied up Accord, SH-AWD notwithstanding.

So many problems to fix and so little time. ;)
    :) hello H1,
    was basically replying to wwest on his superior comment, so if you care to surf the web on audi racing and there history, be my guest, maybe youll come to a different conclusion on superiority then me.
    sorry that the R8 & RS4 dosent cut it for you, and personaly i appreciate the great bang for the buck on the S2000, but not into convertables, but my wife is, has TT quattro.
    getting back to great bangs for the buck, for me i feel the GT-R (and to show you i do have an appreciation to rwd) the Z06 are dynamite bangs for a buck, especialy comparing it to the GT2, which is a 100k more.( out of my league.)

but to each his own.

oh yea, my cars all have three pedals

as for me, not to many problems to fix, just to little time to have fun with. :)
    Again, my ideal AWD design would be one that distributes engine torque as a function of roadbed traction capability. Heavier in the front, fine, more torque to the front appropreate to weight biasing.

But just as soon a lateral forces begin to build I want engine traction, leading or lagging, removed from the front in order to dedicate front tire traction to directional control. Apportioning engine torque to the front inverse to lateral forces would be perfectly fine, IMMHO.

It appears to me that the 4runner AWD mode does exactly that, and maybe the Acura SH-AWD system.
  • nisisnisis Member Posts: 1
    You are totally right in your appreciations, because the awd mode of the 4runner is a torsen certen differential, just like quattro of audi. The main characteristic of this diff is that it`s internal friction an oposition to un-locking, when cornering, make it change the torque split from an initial 50:50 (or 40:60), to a more rear biased distribution, up to 25:75(the more you turn, more power and retention is taken away from the front wheels and send to the rear). This is caused by the high speed of the front diff in corners due to the need of the front wheels to move faster, because they have to make a longer path than rear wheels. The torsen absorbs this higher front diff spee, but offers a great resistance to un-lock, so the internal friction tries constantly to acelerate the rear wheels sending more power to the rear diff. That`s why an RS4 under a very wet track with low traction tends to oversteer under heavy aceleration.

This behavior of the torsen is purely mechanical.

The SH AWD system is a very complex system, wich uses a multi-plate clutch to engage the rear diff(just like like haldex, in this case with a 70-30 torque split on normal), but unlike haldex and other Front biased AWD systems, between the multiplate clutch and the rear diff, there is a planetary gear set, that absorbs the speed diference between front and rear diff, but tries to acellerate the rear wheels.

The only thing that doesn`t make sense about the SH-AWD is how can split torque up to 30:70 if there is no center differential and the front diff is always fully connected to the transmission. in theory when the clutch is fully locked no more than fifty percent of the torque can go to the rear wheels

I
    Only the sedan has the planetary gearset in series with the rear driveline. The SUVs have a fixed overdrive ratio to the rear driveline. It is this overdrive ratio, variable in the case of the sedan, that allows for more than 50% being apportioned to the rear.

Basically with the rear left and right clutch paks locked the rear wheels turn ~5-15% faster that the front wheels. Not something that can be done on a constant basis but certainly quite viable for adverse/slippery roadbed conditions, applied only to the outside rear wheel when turning, or even brief periods of hard acceleration.
This discussion has been closed.