Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tiburon Vs. Scion tC

n82002n82002 Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Hyundai
I have been all around this site and I have yet to see much about these two cars put up against each other. I have heard that the Scion (being a Toyota) will be more reliable. What I really like about the Tiburon is the look and the SE model looks pretty decent for the price. I also like that both the tC base and the SE Tib come with an MP3 player. The tC would also be around 20k just like the SE after I add the underbody spoiler and other mods. If anyone could help me in this decision I would appreciate it.

Comments

• 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    I am a Hyundai fan, but I have to admit between these 2 cars, I would go with the TC. I have ridden in both, and that 4cyl in the TC is nicer than the 4cyl or 6cyl in the Tiburon in my opinion. I also found the TC to be a more comfortable car (space, layout, etc...) - and the roof in the TC is cool. However, you will get a longer warranty with the Hyundai, but depending on how many mods you may have planned for the car, the warranty may not be an issue anyway (seeing as to how a lot of modifications will void warranties these days).

With that said, go sit in, and drive both. Buy which ever you like most. We can't make the decision for you - you have to be happy with it in the long run, so buy what you like.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    I've heard bad things about Tiburon manual transmissions - things like clutches going bad. Also, the tC is very roomy inside, especially on legroom. If you're tall, the tC is bad as a driver though. Even if you're short like me (but it's my legs that are shorter), the top of the windscreen feels like it comes too close to your head.

The Tiburon is just so beautiful though.

Try them out and trust your gut.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    styling more but the Scion tC is a very, very attractive car, too. It does have some issues, though. Hopefully Scion has started building new tC's with something other than glass for the moonroof's windbreaker. It's the first part that rushing wind hits in the very front of the moonroof outside. Apparently some have shattered but I am sure Scion has fixed that issue in production by now (Toyota is usually pretty quick for these problems)and yours wouldn't have them.

Also, some haven't liked their tC's "cheap" stereo covers. Scion has already fixed that problem from what I've read, on the 2006 tC's. Finally, some have serious issues with tC crackles and pops inside. Repeat popping and cracking issues coming from the hatchback area and I've even heard some complaining about their dashboard areas crackling and popping. BTW, I'm just talking about annoying noises here, not actual tC parts falling off. I like this car a lot and I saw one here at my local Fred Meyer's store in Black Cherry Pearl the other day. I wouldn't let any of the issues I mentioned in here about the tC dissuade you from picking one up.

As for the Hyundai Tiburon, I absolutely love it. It is the most beautiful car for sale anywhere in the world from any manufacturer right now, in my opinion. This has been my opinion since I first saw them advertised, in the early summer of 2002. No Tibby issues are big enough to stop anybody from buying one, though, once again, in my opinion. A beautiful rig. I would want a manual transmission, so I would plod the salespeople to address that issue and assure me that Hyundai has fixed any clutch issues connecting to the transmission and it's safe, efficient daily usage. That might be a concern, actually. If anybody's found out anything new on this Tibby clutch or manual tranny weakness please post it in here. That would be worth reading up on.

Happy shopping! :)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• cfbd1273cfbd1273 Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2003 tiburon with 31,000 miles the actual production date is april of 2002 so I am guessing I have one of the first production new style cars.

I say this because I have had to spend a lot of time at the dealership taking care of irritating little problems, an evil you some times have to deal with when buying a first year production car.

In the cars defense it was never anything major just power window switches, window motors, new battery and paint chipping. A big part of the problem there with hyundai is the service department. Or as i like to call it the oh i didn't know you have to take those screws out before i pry the door panel off. I will say no more and let the word incompetence sum it up.

I love my tiburon the problems as many as there were it never has left me stranded and is a constant pleasure to drive. I won't let the problems stop me from recommending the car. I have had no transmission problems or anything major I do have an automatic though.

Ask any one back in the 60's and 70,s that had an MG or Austin Etc.... if you love it its worth it.

Tc is a very nice car, drove one when it came out good handling, nice interior space, clean styling on the outside. It should be a very reliable sensible car. But what kind of fun is that?

Get a tiby!!!!

No, I agree with 1 racefan get the car you enjoy being in and you should be alright. Good luck
  • n82002n82002 Member Posts: 2
    Yeah I definitely have some more thinking to do about these two cars but I have been really considering the tC as I am starting to feel that fuel economy is a little more of a priority for me right now. I am also leaning towards the tC because I have heard that the tiburon does not have as good build quality as the tC since the scion is a Toyota.

Also I am starting to consider the new civic, mostly because I like the new look of the interior. But do I like it enough to give up my factory warranty covored led lights in the footwells and cupholders? :confuse:
  • richs3richs3 Member Posts: 20
    Well, I see I am responding a bit late, relatively to your question, but having owned both cars, I will say this (sorry other TC owners). Before I totalled my Tiburon, I was VERY happy with it. I am "okay" with my TC, it looks nice, and gets nice looks from people, however, I will only speak from my personal experience and framework of perspective, if you like speed, and you like 'zippy', and you like comfort, and you like bang for the buck, go with Hyundai, because they provide, at least for that car model, more results, even though perhaps with less rhetoric. Sure, you can add accessories to the TC until you're blue in the face, or in the pocketbook, but with Hyundai, you get it coming right out of the gate. I have never really experienced love for a car before, that Hyunda, and sorrow somewhat, that I totalled it in a mishap. I did not have it for more than 6 months, so I cannot comment authoritatively on how it holds up over time, but I only know that it "fit" me, much better than TC, and that while I had it, I never had problem with it, and was always very satisfied. So, rhetoric and market all you want Toyota, but it takes more than hype, it takes true value for the dollar. I had leather seats, and most everything else, right out of the gate, plus a better engine, and better road feel.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Why did you not then buy another Tiburon?
    -Loren
    More roomy is it? Not for the driver. How tall are you, no I do not want to know, but in relation to your legs, in particular your right leg, do you find your right leg having a whole lot of room as it rubs up against the console? I am only 6 feet tall, do not think myself to be tall, and yet, I feel my right leg to be overly confined by the console, I would say that it is bad design, oversight, and/or neglect by the designers of TC. Roomy, but not for the driver? Well, sorry, but the driver should come first, as they are usually the one always in it. (humor)
    Interesting thing about Toyota/Scion/TC. It (conveniently for the dealer) usually has to be ordered in, you cannot simply go to the dealership and take a look see, or test drive. One would think, Toyota having been around for a while longer, and its (supposed) good reputation, all things being equal it would be a safe bet. I feel that I listened to their rhetoric and marketing too much, and went against my instinct in buying a car that most lots didn't even have one to look at in person. It sounded like a slightly more economical deal also. That is, until you go to dealership, and they advise you that if you want to buy it, you need to add a number of its options or accessories to make it worth their while, because otherwise they will not make much on it. Sort of a no-haggle haggle, so to speak. Another marketing ploy.
    The performance of a car, i.e. it's acceleration in this context, is not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of reality. To compare the TC's 4 cylinder to Tib's 6 cylinder, (?) It in no wise has the pick up or the zip of a Tiburon, and especially towards the top end. Yes, you could get their turbo booster for a mere 3,000 more, but then . . . you could do the same for the Tiburon also for that additional price. And as far as drive and comfort goes, (okay here an opinion) I had much more of a smile on my face with Tiburon. The best thing TC has going for it are its looks, and yes, it is roomier in the back seat, and perhaps the side seat, but what is the driver's first concern? I prefer the moonroof, and its functionality in the Tiburon, to the TC, it opens higher, if my memory serves me correctly, and they don't have problems.
    I bought a 1976 Starfire, with a stick, without testing one. Well it took an weightlifter jab of the left leg to get the clutch to move. After some years of doing this, the bracket which holds the cable actually came though the firewall of the car. It was a slow, but fun enough, piece of GM junk. Heck, I traveled a lot, and had fun, be it slowly. In those days the speed limit was 55 and the car revved super high at anything over 65. I imagine top end was like 85. My bet is that they had spare truck gearing and clutches they put in those cars. Assorted things broke off, like the inside door handle, then the outside had the rust around the window. Typical of the years of decline. Too bad, since Oldsmobiles, like the 442, and Toronado and such were once great cars.

Anyway, always test out a car first. I did enjoy the test drive of the Tiburon. It is not as sporty a handling as is say the Celica, or a Miata, but non-the-less fun to drive, and the engine feels and sounds better. Interior looks rich and solid.
    I am amazed at the Hyundai comeback!

-Loren
    I understand that Miatas are one of the sportiest cars to handle and manuever. That is definitely a 'success car' for its niche. (For its niche.) The TC is a good car, I don't mean to overly diminish it, it does have distinct qualities of its own, just that I felt more secure and natural in the Tib. Again, that's all a personal thing. Someone else might not. It is interesting that the T-dealership did not want me to take TC onto the freeway at all in my test drive, even though close by, whereas I got to take a substantially longer ride in the Tib before I bought it. And it just seemed to fit me in its feel and handling.
  • ederekbederekb Member Posts: 4
    See this post
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0c9eb6/4
    $2000 in service on my '03 with 30K Miles. Warenty wont cover it.
    -Derek :lemon:
    Actually it has the longest warranty of all the makers of automobiles. Clutches on stick shift autos are not covered, and will not be on most warranties, if any, of other makes of cars. It is simply not going to happen. If they supplied defective parts, and it is proven to be the case, then and only then will the company be held reliable. In all other cases it is not covered. Check the details on other manufacturer warranties. Once again, this is not a debate on the clutch issue, but rather what the warranty shall cover.
    -Loren
    I suppose that by 'reliable' here, you meant 'unreliable'. Am I understanding right that the originator of complaint is saying that clutch (parts & service) from Hyundai would cost 'ederekb' around 2k? What I don't get though, is why in particular one would want to be focused on only going to Hyundai to get a part replacement, when it seems there are plenty of aftermarket shops and products for people, offering either better or 'as good as' parts (for the most part, so to speak) for the money, in contrast to the car manufacturer. There are alternatives. With clutch not being covered, I would see it as an opportunity to purchase better, higher performance clutch. However, obviously, if/when a person is put at an unnecessary loss, due to no fault of their own, not good. That should not be the result of investing into a company by buying their product. That would make it a lose/win situation, instead of a win/win situation. It is a known fact, by car insurance companies that Hyundai parts, in general, are a bit pricey.
    Oops, it should have read liable. Held liable for repair, if they did in fact produce a faulty part. I have no way of knowing, and it will be settled in a court of law.

Anyway, I accidently type reliable.
  • sunnyrodeosunnyrodeo Member Posts: 9
    i have tc and have drove tiburon V6 couple of times.
    TC's suspension is soft compared to tiburons.
    tiburon is little more powerful but tc is smoother. Tiburon has good manual transmission, they felt smooth and easy to engage(dunno about relaiblity, someone metioned cltuch problem above). also tiburon has 6 speed. I wish tc had another gear(it would be better for gas milage)tc is at 3000 rpm at 60-65mph. tiburon has stiffer clutch than tc yet Tiburon in manual form is much easier to drive smooth in traffic. I find tc hard to drive smooth in traffic. there is too much lag in throttle and i find engagement point too high on the clutch pedal travel.

As far as interior goes, they both have nice interior. tiburon was little better casue once i drove was loaded with leather seats and everything. But at 6'2" tiburon has no headroom. no way i can drive tiburon daily. TC is way roomier than tiburon. there is so much leg room front and back. Not much headroom in the rear tho. and glass roof make it feel even roomier. tc is a hatchback but has very little cargo room wiht seats up but with the seats down you can fit alot of stuff. TC has worst rear visibilty in rain at nite. NO REAR WIPER. its dangerous to merge onto highway on a rainy nite.

if you like to drive fast and take corners fast tiburon is a better car. stiffer chassis. TC would be a better car for you if you are looking for a affordable daily driver that you can have some fun with. Oh and tc is a way better looking car in my opinion, but its for more show than go..
    Often people think its a more expensive car.

alot more after market stuff for tc if you are considering modding your car. TCs have as much after market as honda civic if not more.

dunno about huyndai service but toyota service department was very nice.. coming from vw.. and tcs power train is used in almost all toyotas (rav4, camry, next gen matrix, next gen XB, tacoma 4 cyl.) so you know it will be cheap to get them fixed. Also when you buy scion you wont have to haggle. Just pick watever you want, pay and drive away.
    Good coverage. I think those are fair balanced and unbiased comments for the most part. I am contemporary to you, except I once owned a Tiburon, a black Tiburon. Somehow when I walked away from the car, I found that I kept looking back . . . like in the parking lot, like, okay horsey, stay there I'll be back in just a little, in admiration, or at least I should say, a sense of satisfaction. Okay, granted, it's not Rolls Royce, I'm easily enough satisfied with just a tidbit or tib-bit of acceleration and style. Yup, the Tiburon came packed up enough, with leather seats, and the (I know this is not a big thing to some people, but to me it made notable difference moon roof that tilt-lifted more like 5 or 6 inches, instead of just two, before it totally opened up. Plus, there were no recalls on that feature for the Tib. The seat was more comfortable, and more ergonomic to my back, which I have pulled more than once. Now, I see it's not that hard to get a whole 'nother seat, I see a lot of "after-market" items, but then . . why not get it right the first time? As for head-room, is it my imagination, or did I have more in Tib, sure seems like it, though maybe for leg room in back seat, but I don't usually sit there when I'm driving. And certainly less head space in back for any passengers I might have that aren't children, or short gals. The TC looks better? Yeah, I think it looks pretty neat definitely a plus, and it is a consistent ride, and plenty of things to fix it up. My Tib was automatic trans, but I agree about the 5-speed. However, third gear can work pretty nice to wind up to 65-ish (don't sue me if you go to far and redline though) Fourth gear will pretty much cover most freeway driving with punch, if you want to waste the gas, and at first, 5th gear seems to progress into high rpms sooner than wanted, but it really travels rather slowly towards the red line. It's all you need on freeways (though more could be desirable). I won't risk talking in great detail about high speeds. :-) The tires that came with my car, okay, but too touchy with grooves and paving on some freeways and on-ramps, be careful of any gutter balls, I'd recommend other tires. As far as the Tiburon being "smoother", really don't know what that means, unless it pertains only to comparing with manual trans in Tiburon. Certainly it was not smoother that auto. As for Tiburon having stiffer suspension, yes, even the professional reviewers echo that for Tiburon. I like my TC, and find myself liking it more and more as time goes on, but end of this long entry for me would be: I look better in my TC, but I felt better in my Tiburon, much better. On the other I don't know if Tiburon ages as nicely. Excuse me for the lengthy comment, but maybe will be of interest to someone. r.s.
    Oh, although I rambled a lot in my previous response (not as well structured as yours), still one more thing I would like to respond to was your comments: > Actually, you get used to that somewhat. I can drive it fairly smooth, though I don't drive other manuals, so, I lack that perspective. BUT, for 1st gear at least, DEFINITELY could be a smoother engage process. What!? Do they want to embarass me with my date who's used to BMW's? (Oops, too late.) And second gear is a bit whiney, sort of like me, I guess. I did adapt somewhat though, I have 2005 version, if that makes a diff. In no wise does the clutch feel 'cheap', by any means, but I think they (the Ty-people) should have worked more with the ratios, and experimented more. Heck, if they could do it right, I would just as soon have a four speed, and not have to shift into second so quickly. If it's fair to compare automatic to manual, the first gear in TC seems to pick faster than the Tib did, though for just a few split seconds, and it offers a little bit of sound sensation with scratch. It still doesn't compare much though, even to the Tib-automatic. Nevertheless, if you wind out the gears a bit, good passing action. Hey, anyone want to loan me about .75K $ + tax + installation costs, so I can add high performance muffler, and cool air induction to increase anywhere between 7 and 12 horsepower? (kidding, but yes I'm open to, maybe the Toyota people will read this and feel sorry for me.) In all fairness, TC, as 4-cylinder, vs Tib 6-cylinder, competes very well for its size. But does it compete very well for its cost? It does get better gas mileage than Tib, and has good upgrade potential if you don't mind extra investments, above and beyond normal maintenance, to achieve a bit more 'entry level' edge.
  • heavyrightfootheavyrightfoot Member Posts: 7
    I have to weigh in with my two cents on this issue. First of all, you can compare the Tc with the Tib on this site and see the difference in horsepower, headroom, legroom, etc between the two vehicles. The tib wins most of those, t least in the front seat. I admit, I'm short (5'8") but I'm fat (290 lbs.) and that front seat is more comfortable than my expensive executive desk chair.

In my opinion,how the engine sounds in the first two or three gears doesn't matter one bit. I'm not in any of them long enought to hear it. OK... I stay in third gear in most local driving, but once I'm on the highway, I'm in 5th or 6th (did I just admit to 6th?).

The clutch is stiff enough to keep me from riding it, but responsive enough to let me shift the early gears as quickly as I like.

I also agree with Richs3's comments about how it looks. Especially the new Carbon Grey color for '07.

My only complaint is that the window design doesn't allow for a ventvisor, and the windshield design brings rainwater right into the driver's window. Like I said in my review, it's almost enough to get me to quit smoking.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    What kind of milage are you guys seeing on the Tib v. Tc? Right now I'm looking for a sub $20k commuter car for here in the NY/NJ area and looking at all kinds of options:
    Tiberon
    Tc
    Impreza

Mostly looking for something with good milage and good traction in the wet/snow/dry

-mike
    The 2.7 V6 is getting me about 20 Mpg in the city. If you're looking for under 20K then you won't be getting the Tib V6 (I paid 22K for mine) :blush: , but the 4 Cyl Tib will get you from point A to B with good gas mileage and FWD traction in snow and bad weather.

Of course it won't perform like the V6, but.... I guess we all sacrifice Mpg for Hp and Ft lbs of Torque. ;)
  • stepdadstepdad Member Posts: 3
    I hope someone reads this, because I am soon going to plunk down $17-20K for a 2007 Tiburon GT (5 speed) for my wife's 17 year-old son, as a gift from both of us. But, I worry about the problems that may be encountered with a Hyundai. The boy really likes the car's styling, but I am not so sure about the reliability, given the 2003 Tib's history. And the not-so-great rep of Hyundai in general. I have owned nothing but Toyotas for the past 20 years (four different Toyotas), and only had one warranty issue in all thoese 20 years, which the dealer took care of quickly and with no headaches. So, I lean towards the Scion tc.

Are the 2007 or even the 2006 Tiburons holding up after 25k or more miles? or, are we considering a lemon for my stepson?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    I would be much more concerned about your teen-aged stepson wrapping the Tiburon around a tree than about its reliability. :sick:

I've had my 6 speed 07 SE for about 3500 miles now and I love it more than ever... I'm 40 years older than your boy, and even I sometimes have trouble restraining myself on a long windy road. :blush:

The warranty pretty much speaks for itself, but the Tib's performance makes it more dangerous for a relatively new driver. The scion looks cool :shades: but doesn't have quite the muscle of the Tib.

The good news is that the back seat is too small to fit many friends so he's not very likely to be distracted.

I have to believe that the insurance is going to be pretty hefty for the lad too... perhaps if he pays the premium he'll have some incentive to keep it on the road.... :)

... so think about all the angles, and make the choice you think is best for him.
    Just thought I'd give you all an update... 3500 miles, avg. 20-22 Mpg overall.. and... I did quit smoking so I didn't have to re-detail the inside of my door after every rain. :mad:

It still goes like a bat out of Hades, and my neighbor in his Audi TT always makes sure he leaves before I do so as not to get embarrassed at the light. :blush:

I love my Tib SE :):)
    Who said you're considering a lemon? Whatever glitches there were with the 2003 Tiburon, it's history, unless of course, you have also heard that there were glitches with 2004, 2005, 2006, and now 2007. I suspect you haven't. Think all the good things you want to about Toyota, but sometimes when cars get a reputation, they stretch it, along with your billfold. And next thing you know, a person is no longer getting the deal for the wheel they used to. I had an auto-trans, was excellent. It appears that some (not all, but some) have had problems with the Tib's manual cluth, but other than that. . (?) TC' had a problem with their moonroofs initially, also. Are your qualms from the past readily substantiated with data from the present? Evidently not. But if you've read entries in this forum, you've noted plenty of drivers very pleased with their Tiburon. You love your stepson, you want to be a good steward with your money, commendable, but I would encourage you not to insult a good car. Yes, Toyota TC's are okay, I have one, but maybe you can tell where my patronage and enthusiasm is. At any rate, the shoe should fit the foot, and suit the fancy of the one driving it, if it is a gift. All things being equal. Questions will be: Gas mileage, responsible driver(?), and slightly higher car insurance than Tib. No, I am not a Hyundai Salesperson.
    Hyundai just does not have a very good record when it comes to reliability, hence the concern for a lemon risk. And to me, the Hyundai's look kind of "tinny". You had an AT, Tiburon; I am considering a five speed for the boy, because he REALLY wants a manual. But it is the MTs of the Tiburon that seem to be having problems, still, you suggest? The tC did have moonroof problems, but there is plenty of data out there that suggests that Toyota fixed the problem - and I am not considering a 2006 tC, just a new 2007 tC. Also, Toyota/Scion fixed the moonroofs under the warranty; Hyundai claimed that the 2003 clutch problems were not under warranty, stonewalled their customers, and now they have a lawsuit and the bad reputation arising from a class-action suit. These are vaild concerns when you talking about handing over $17-20K in cash. You expect no problems, and you expect when there is a problem, that the seller will honor its warranty and take care of it quickly and with little down-time. It appears to me that Hyundai does not always do this.

And Hyundai is having labor problems in South Korea, with its very aggressive unions, who are conducting wildcat strikes - which can only affect quality on the negative side.

While this may be a gift from me and his mom (his dad is a [non-permissible content removed] and cheap as well, even though he makes a lot more than me and his ex, combined), it is also going to be me and his mom that have to shell out for repairs that suddenly are deemed not under warranty. And the tC is actually lower car insurance cost vs. the Tiburon, at least in Northern Virginia. I confirmed this with my Allstate agent of 15 years.

and you have a tC, yet you seem to be pushing the Tiburon.

I have not made a decision, yet - I am still trying to find a driver ed school that teaches stick-shift driving (the boy has test-driven three MT cars in the last two weeks, but test driving does not give one enough experience behind the wheel of a Manual Tranns car, and my wife and I both drive AT cars). But, I am leaning towards a scion tC.
  • wylldsharkwylldshark Member Posts: 34
    Hyundai's quality has improved immensely in the past five years! Take a look at the JD Power Report for Intial Quality - Hyundai ranks third behind Porsche and Lexus, with Toyota at 4th and Honda at 6th.

The clutch line that was a problem was updated in the 2005MY; also, it is a wear and tear part so it would only be covered by the 1 year / 12000 mile warranty. I have a buddy who bought an SE, he's an Army recruiter and already has about 12000 miles on his car in the 6 months he's had it and he's only brought it in for the usual maintenence.

I've liked the Tib since they restyled it in '02 and been a Hyundai fan ever since.

The car handles great, performs well, and looks awesome; if too much power is a concern for you, then maybe you and your wife can consider the 4 cylinder Tib. Plus, insurance is cheaper because the GS is rated with insurance as "subcompanct" where the GT is "sports car". Besides, and don't tell your stepson, but Hyundai engines are easy to tune so you can bump the HP without too much trouble.

I love the Tib and Hyundai so much I went to work at a dealership, and the only reason I don't have a Tib yet is because I want the RWD V8! I got my DeLorean instead and my daily driver is a Tucson (which has the same engine as the GT Tib!)

You're looking at an an excellent car, sir, and one that's a ton of fun to drive and look at!
    The most recent Consumer Reports review of 2007 models, rates the Tiburon with a 38 score. The Scion tC an 87. The Honda Civic Si an 89. CR recommends the tC and the Honda Civic Si. It does not recommend the Tiburon.

The Tiburon is definitely more stylish than either the tC or the Si, but CR is an objective source for reviews, and a 38 score is not even half the score earned by the tC.

My wife's son is getting a Scion tC, or maybe a used Acura. But, not a Tiburon.
    That's cool, to each their own. I guess I will have to look up the Consumer Report regarding, and see how and why their point system, except for that fact, that I've owned and driven both cars, and know my own spirit, and don't need their "objective" opinion to make conclusion. Anyway, driving is an experience as well, very much so. But, I've read some reports before, and wondered about the objectivity. For instance, receiving a Scion which came to test site with items like a special muffler, and a cold air intake, they didn't really consider that, but said, in so many words, that the TC was on par with Tiburon for power and performance. Well, I've driven both, and I know better. Gee, funny how Toyota/Scion accidentally sent them a TC with after market performance enhancements for their testing purposes. Probably just a fluke though, I'm sure Toyota wasn't trying to gain an advantage in any way. I don't know about Consumer Reports, but I've seen plenty of reports before, both in electrnoics and in cars that seemed weighted towards a 'favored' side. I have no desire or agenda to change your mind or argue. I apologize for responding. "But not a Tiburon," almost sounds condescending tone. For whatever reaon, you pleaded for input from others, and then decided to regard their advice as lowly and invalid, after you did.
  • mxjake41mxjake41 Member Posts: 1
    i bought a tc in january and im very pleased with it,it came with a no extra cost unlimited drive train warranty for as long as i own the car(this includes the factory installed performance accessories too like the supercharger)i wouldnt call it fast,but zippy and fun to drive ,the only things i dont like are the cabin noise and the instability on the highway when close to larger suvs and tractor trailers(not noticeable after being lowered 2")i drove the automatic and it felt kind of sluggish compared to the manual,it kind of reminded me of driving an auto corolla,which is fine if your not looking for performance because it is very smooth,i purchased the tc spec due to its lighter weight and lack of unecessary options(still comes with power windows and nice stereo system,fold down rear seats)sure it comes with wheel covers,but i was going to buy new wheels anyway so i came out paying about 3 grand less(compared to regular tc) for exactly what i wanted,i average 28mpg driving mostly backroads and some highway,they are also very easy to work on,ive worked in a toyota dealership as a body tech for awhile and they are built to be worked on,most of the american makes are very difficult,especially the pt cruiser,this can mean minimal time in the body shop if it is ever wrecked,another con though is insurance,the salesman told me that it would be the same as a camry,due to it having the same motor,but is simply not the case,the cheapest insurance i could get was though unitrin for 190 a month(im 20),but was quoted as much as 500 a month through allstate,so if you are a young driver,i would advise insuring through your parents,as for the tiburon,ive never driven one,but i think they look very nice and like that they have the 6 cylinder option,but the warranty alone would turn me back to the tc any day,not that im tryin to sell it,just my opinion,i think the tc is worth it for the price,warranty,looks,and the customer service from toyota is very good,ive been checked up on many times by the sales manager and have been given 2 tanks of gas and a free mini detail since
    Forgive me, somehow, I didn't see this (your May 10th) post before. It is a good and fair post, and gives me more perspective to what you're saying. If you don't feel safe with Hyundai, then of course, you have to follow your heart, and that should be the way it should go. As regarding your son wanting a stick shift though, (and I don't propose Hyundai on this, but) just as a note, their syncrho-shift, or whatever nomenclature they give it, is really quite like a stick shift, just as it is in other cars, such as Nissan, Chrysler, etc. that use that tech feature.

It is really pretty cool, a sort of clutchless stick shift. What I did find out though in driving (although I liked using that feature very much) is that the computer in the AT version shifted it better than I did, I regret to say. If I just stepped on the gas and concentrated on the steering, that was enough for me. So personally, I see no need to get manual shift in Tiburon, except slight initial discount at outset (which I don't think is worth it, at least not for me). I would not seek to 'push' the Tib on anyone, that would be wrong, only sought to bring forth some of my truthful perception. I have not experienced Tib past 16K, but up to that point had no problems, until someone made a left turn in front of me, that caught me unawares, and Tib got totalled, although it protected me very well, and took the brunt of the crunch for me. (By-by Tib.) However, I do salute my TC. I am now at 28k-ish, and keeps running great. Not exceptional, but very good. Nno problems or maint. prices.

The Tib was quiet, and as another person mentioned, the suspension noticeably stiffer, smoother. I had plenty of rattles in TC, quite noticeable. I got them to fix most of them, but I still get an odd rattle in the right rear, around the back wheel on bumpy freeways at times. Not a good feeling, a rumbly sound. Yet, Toyota said they didn't hear a thing, in two different testings. Hmmm, It still continues, and the overhead sliding panel to moonroof, is rather flimsy, actually cheap, not like the Tib's. Also, for similar price with Tib, I got leather seats, and tilt-able steering wheel. No tilting steering wheel in TC, where I could use it, although I never really used or needed in Tib.

Maybe Honda will work nice for you, or else that your step son won't even notice any minor neg's about the Scion, as I have. Actually, it is a good car overall, and I thank God for it. It's a good ride, in a sporty way, I find it outperforming most other cars around me, probably due in part to my aggressive style, I did add a few small enhancements for handling, etc. Respectfully yours, Rich
  • karateboikarateboi Member Posts: 10
    I'm driving a Toyota 2000 Avalon XLS.. it's extremely comfortable and well equipped but I kind of get tired of the boring ride and would prefer to have a sporty car..

I looked at the Tc and Tib before but I'm not particularly impressed with either one.. The Tc doesn't have too much originality in it. Its powertrain is handed down from the Camry and a few other Toyota's. It's not really built for its own purpose and certainly, I would say it's not very sporty overall. The tib is decent, but reliability is average (according to consumer report). The tib's four cylinder lacks power, and the V6 is too thirsty at the gas pump.

Right now I'm looking at the Toyota Celica, Acura RSX, and Lexus IS300.

The Celica is better than the Tc in most aspects. Better gas mileage, better handling, better ride. The engine is smaller in displacement which would make the celica not as strong in low end torque as the Tc, but acceleration wise I believe they are not much different since the Celica is much lighter.

The Acura RSX is a pretty nice car too. Honda's steering is better than Toyota's. RSX also has good handling, and gas mileage is good.

The Lexus IS300 has an inline six so it does get bad mileage (it's worse than my Avalon's V6 which has same displacement). It's the only one that's rear-wheel drive though. Good handling as well, but acceleration isn't much faster than the other two.
    Your observations concerning TC and Tib seem vivid enough, you do seem to go full circle though regarding Tib's gas appetitite, and then ending with IS300's gas setback. I am too lazy at this moment (actually around 12pm) to do research on the Lexus, but generally, when I see them I like them, and there are some that seem to me to be quite sporty,even when they have four doors. They seem zippy, and eloquent to boot. As I said, I have not researched IS300, but I would think them to be in a quite different (higher class, but also substantially more expensive) than TC or Tib. (by far). As for Acura RSX, I thought I saw it rated around 151 hp, though I could be wrong. They look to perform well, but their entry price is around at least 21k+, last I looked. An attractive car, but . . . I would not push the Tib, but, for the money, you can get pretty well loaded (no, the car, not you) with leather seats, tilt steering, 7-speaker stereo system, Sycnro-mesh (or whatever techno-term) auto-trans, a more functional moon roof than TC, etc.) As for Toyota Celica, I could be wrong but imo they are not going to be making those anymore? A few seemed like they were trying to race me when I had the Tib, or else, I couldn't tell. But they are rated higher hp than TC, though they might be lacking torque, and their hp is at high rpm, still, I'm thinking they are faster than TC, though I could be wrong. Nissan seems to make very nice sporty cars, though in a higher price bracket, Passats seem nice, again, a substantially higher bracket, as is also the Subaru WRX, and Mitsubish All Wheel drive entries. Mazda RX seems of consideration in 25K bracket, as is also Eclipse, in about 23K bracket. But eclipse is heavy, and Mazda, seems to go up in price dramatically with just a few extra options, also, their torque is a question to me. And then, there's the Chevrolet niche competitor that comes with turbo, and around 210 hp. Certainly it's not overly eloquent or fancy, but it meets performance expectations, fun driving, and some good looks, as well, for a fair price.
  • ebchicagoebchicago Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

We are buying a new car, and it's either 6-cyl manual Tiburon SE or the 6-cyl manual Mitsubishi Eclipse GT. We've been researching on this and other sites.

We both noticed the HUGE difference between Tiburon owner ratings on multiple web sites (all high) and the Consumer Reports rating (very low).

This gap seemed paradoxical, so I read the reviews to see what Consumer Reports had to say. then I read other reviews as well on the Consumer Reports site.

Now I understand: The Consumer Reports review of 2007 models is NOT objective when it comes to the Tiburon AND to other sporty models.

Here's why: Consumer Reports consistently TRASHES just about any car with BOTH of the following:
    - sport suspension
    - 2-door with a smaller back seat

The Tiburon and Eclipse both qualify (and the Scion does not), and both get very poor marks from Consumer Reports as a result. Read the detailed reviews for both cars, and you'll see that I am accurate.

Consumer Reports seems to assume that drivers of sporty cars want soft suspension. News flash: they don't!

CS also seems to assume that a sporty car drivers are expecting the back seat of a 4-door sedan. Well, they don't!

I rode in friend's Tiburon back seat (I'm 6 feet tall) and was reasonably comfortable for at least the 5-mile drive that we were on. Yet, Consumer Reports says that the Tiburon back seat is "unusable". Is CS biased? I sure think so.

Read their reviews again with what I have stated in mind, and you'll likely come to the same conclusion.

Thanks,
    Eric
    It seems you have a bit of a dilemma since you are in no way comparing apples to apples. I have an '07 Tiburon SE and I love it. I love the way it looks, handles, and performs.

But it isn't in the same price or performance class as the Mitubishi Eclipse GT. The Tib SE is thousands less expensive (I paid 22 out the door for mine) and consequently there is a significant horsepower differential.

Not only that, but in my opinion, Mitsubishi ruined the design in 07. I don't believe the '07 Eclipse looks anywhere near as sporty as the '06 and prior years. For me that rounded rear end makes it look a bit stodgy.

Sorry Mitsu owners, I intend no offense. just my humble opinion.
    Hey Eric, interesting post. Well there goes, there is the answer to my scrumpled eye brow look like - huh? But as you probably saw in my earlier entry, I know what I know, and I don't have to hang my hat of satisfaction upon some 'removed' report from a person who is getting paid to make his or her (typically his for cars) report. Your observation bears the point well. And speaking of slanted, let me say this, I'm a 6' even just like Steven, I usually don't have people riding in the back seat, and consequently I had never gotten in the back of TC before to try it out. My girl friend's nephew, somewhat shorter than myself while in his teens, visited her from out of state, and needed a ride with us one day. I saw him leaning down just a bit to fit his head. I apologized to him, but he liked the car, and said 'that's alright'. Later, I tried to sit in the back seat. Gosh TC might be more comfortable for wider people than the Tib, but not for height, not where it slopes down so fast. And width wise, in the front seat, my right leg felt much more comfortable driving in Tib than in TC. Also, TC is notably lower vertically in front seat than my experience in Tib. As for Mitsubishi, perhaps a bit more classy look, perhaps a 'solid' car, certainly more hp, although more weight also. I think the other person responding summed it up fairly well with the apples analogy, I don't know how sporty the eclipse feels. It might convey a better image, and more power. I can only say that I found the Tiburon to be a fun car, to me. I suggest you drive them both, and pray about it. It's not every day one buys a car, and you personally have to feel satisfied with your decision and financial feel as well.
    Hey,

I had forgot about this particular commercial, but it's one of Toyota's "hip" CG animated ads for the TC and the car is running along the road while all these parts fly onto it, apparently to show its modifiable look. I swear the first time I saw this, which was at the end, I thought it was a Tib commercial. Then to my disappointment I found it was just a Toy ad. :( What struck me as ironic however, is how TC clearly takes a stab at Tiburon by adding the fins on the back and having the shark appearance.

And anyone that says the TC doesn't resemble a bloated '05-'06 Tib, especially from back, just isn't paying attention. :)
    Yeah, we've got to watch out for bloating. :-) But as mentioned in post, I do think the newer Eclipse has that a bit, like a chubby back end. If there's one thing I do like about the TC, I'm fairly happy with its looks. Yeah, it is modifiable a lot, but . . . should that really be a "feature", or can't it be more 'complete', if you will, upon initial receipt of? I mean . . should that overly put a smile on my face? I'm thinking, that a little bit more right out the gate would be great also. It is good that they have third party support though, you know what they say, keep that cash flow going, and 'money makes the world go round'. It's just another marketing slant. "Come and get your car for less" and now "come and get the rest of your car for more". Come on, who's fooling who? :-) (Whatever, . . I realize there are some customer benefits with that . . possibly.)

Regarding the commercial you mentioned, I saw, but only once, I looked up at tv at Yardhouse, and it went by so quickly, I barely caught it, though it looked cool. I don't watch tv much. Again, if one thing Toyota does well, it's marketing. However, I'd be happy if some companies balance out the ratio between the money they invest into 'marketing', and the money they invest into R & D. I suspect Toy has relaxed a bit, but now saving its bigger efforts on Trucks, new SUV's, and Lexus. Lexus for sure, is no doubt a lucrative justification for them to put some effort in. There are a lot of rich people who don't mind overpaying for a product. As for their (expensive) sport coupe, I think people are much better off for much much lower price with a Nizzan Z, etc.
    Regards, Rich
    I think people are much better off for much much lower price with a Nizzan Z, etc.

And let's not forget the RWD, 4.6L V7 Powered Coupe Hyundai's producing next year! ;)
  • dmac12000dmac12000 Member Posts: 4
    i own a tC...I recommend you buy the hyundai!
    Not for me, per se, but for the person you addressed, could there perhaps be articulation as to why you would say so to them? I'm sure that specifics of your experience would be of interest. Elsewise, there is not much chance on anyone really banking on such a brief statement, although it does notably express your preference.
  • jonnyleejonnylee Member Posts: 17
    The RWD Tiburon will have around 300HP
    How does that one Wiz song go . . .? "Somewhere over the Rainbow . . "

Anyway, is it of big event or import, considering (if it ever emerges)it will also probably cost just a little bit lower than anything else having 300hp, like the GT35, etc.

I could not help but to laugh when seeing all the pics of it on this web site. In every one I saw, they had it semi-veiled with a car jacket on the lower half of it, almost as though they were afraid to expose their up-vamped product. Something that they hesitate about?

Anyway, it's just a car, and cars are just cars, they are not our salvation. There's a lot of heavy marketing everywhere, but only Jesus can truly bring one lasting joy and satisfaction., and only Jesus really cares about you, for reals. Unlike some cars, He won't steer you wrong. We were like cars in the junk yard, when He found us, crushed and in great disrepair, yet He bought us, at His cost. Now there's a truly compelling event, if. If we ever want to get out, and get really rolling, . . onto His High Way, lest we should find all of our money and hope spent, leaving us at a dead end, without a cell phone, and no Triple A in sight and everyone that marketed and milked us along the way conveniently unavailable for comment. Like the TV show "Lost". Lost in a world of marketing. Lost in a lost world.
  • ebchicagoebchicago Member Posts: 2
    Hey Richs3, Eric here from Post 36... well we took your advice, including test-drivng both the Tib and the Eclipse. Hands down, the Tib handled SO much better and was a dream to drive in comparison. Significantly tighter turning radius, fewer and smaller blind spots, GREAT handling. No contest.

To sum up, the Eclipse was beautiful to look at, but the Tib was and is beautiful to look at and to experience. Have had the Tib for 8 months now and we are 100% satisfied. Thanks!
  • lingpanda01lingpanda01 Member Posts: 4
    Also, with 2008 beyond the last model year. The Tiburon is priced a lot lower. You can get it well below MSRP now. And with the Scion tC, they have that annoying supposedly no-haggle price.
  • fellrainfellrain Member Posts: 1
    I was just wondering linqpanda, you mentioned that you can get the tiburon well below msrp now.

What exactly is "well below"? Are we talking about like 2,000 under, more?
  • lingpanda01lingpanda01 Member Posts: 4
    For an automatic 2008 GS with Premium Package (Sunroof/Cruise Control), the MSRP was $19,895. Invoice $19,045. TMV after Incentives/Rebates $18,779.

I got an out the door quote from the Internet dealer for $17130.99 in Virginia. It's not great. But this is with no haggling. I am not really an expert when it comes to buying and haggling car prices, but I think with a little haggling, I could get it for a little less.
  • 0127112001271120 Member Posts: 1
    im really glad i ran into this. im looking into buying one and just today it came across to me that insurance would be high. i didnt know for the gs it would be different though so THANK YOU! :)
This discussion has been closed.