Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• joniliffjoniliff Member Posts: 2
    Tnx, poorcruzer, for the response...I purchased the used vehicle on Saturday, and posted the questions on Sunday. I didn't save them up for long . These are the first questions that I have. I fiddled with the radio, and in spite of the manual's comments about security, I got it to work...some security, huh? On the hubs, I've just been reading different posts on the 'net about automatic hubs locking while hooked up to tow, so was concerned. Glad to hear the odometer would not register while being towed! Did something today...got under the dash and checked out the switch...it's NOT CONNECTED to anything; no wonder I didn't see anything happening. Thanks again. John
  • marquisemarquise Member Posts: 1
    :cry: Hi, I am new here. I just bought my 90 Tracker last sunday. The rear door is stuck shut, I put lock penetrating oil on handle mechanism and in the lock cylinder. The door won't open. Maybe I have to take the door apart ie the lock rod is dropped. Any pointers on how to take apart the rear door/panel? Thank you!
  • poorcruzerpoorcruzer Member Posts: 141
    Welcome to the Tracker/Suzuki Vitara family. I hope your rig serves you faithfully for the time you need it's service. Your switch probably lit up aftermarket lighting which was removed.

I am still going to look in to the automatic hub thing while towing just to make sure.

I am very impressed you perservered and got your radio to work. These trucks, even in the mid 90's are very simple vehicles to work on, and the more you work on your vehicle the more knowledgable you become. So when somebody tries to pull the wool over your eyes about work needed on your rig, you will know better, even if you are uncomfortable about doing the work yourself. You will at least understand what work is required.

Good choice on a used vehicle. On this website verses other vehicles you don't see this symbol. :lemon:
    Hi again. I looked into the automatic hub issue and it would seem that Suzuki recomends for your year of Tracker with automatic hubs to put the rear of the vehicle on a car dolly and drag it backwards. If you want to pull the Tracker from the front with all the wheels on the ground, it is suggested to get manual hubs. These can be bought from Warn Industries for the Tracker/Suzuki Vitara. The reason being, that in this application it would seem that only one side of the axle disengages from the hub while the other axle stays engaged. I am still not sure what would be damaged if you ran all four on the ground with the transfer case in neutral as the drivetrain is disengaged at the transfer case, but just in case, I would get the manual hubs. They are fairly inexpensive and easily installed. :confuse:
  • oldschool4oldschool4 Member Posts: 2
    I know this is really dumb but where are the spark plugs on the 04 Tracker with the 2.6 V6? Also any tips on changing them when I do find them.
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    There is a black cover over the center of the cylinder head assembly one on each side. Remove that cover to find the coil. The plugs will be under the coil and down into the head. The plugs are screwed into the top of the cylinder (hemi style). There are short rubber boots that connect the lead on the coil to the sparkplug(this eliminates the need for plug wires. You will need a deep socket with an extension. I haven't changed mine yet but, the design looks the same as the one on my Olds Intrigue with the 3.5 northstar.
  • oldschool4oldschool4 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much. Have a great day.
  • evenkeelevenkeel Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 91' tracker 1.6 automatic that will not tune up. When I got it it was running on 3 cylinders and the plugs were fouled. The oxygen sensor was shot and it had stale gas in the tank. I replaced the oxygen sensor, the sparkin' plugs, the ignition wires, drained the stale gas and replaced it with fresh fuel in the tank. I also inspected the rotor and cap, which checked out OK. The EGR valve seemed to be fine, with the little piston moving when vacuum was applied. The engine is now running in all 4 cylinders, but it idles rough, especially when placed in drive or reverse. However, after 15 RPM, it becomes nice and smooth, with no smoke out of the exhaust. I can use some input here. Anyone can help?
  • inuvikinuvik Member Posts: 163
    The 4 cylinder engines (Suzuki Engine) is notorious for carbon build up in the valves. This can definitely affect your idle. Since it seems like your Tracker had been sitting for a long time and is 15 years old I would run some top cylinder cleaner through the oil and fuel. I've had good luck with Seafoam and have also used Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) in the past. Both can be used in the oil and fuel. MMO is cheaper but I just ran some Seafoam in the fuel of my '01 Tracker and the idle improved. If you add MMO or Seafoam to your oil be careful not to add too much, just go with the directions. Both MMO & Seafoam will really knock the junk out of a engine. I once added MMO to the oil of a old International Harverster pickup that I had gotten that had been sitting for about 5 years. It plugged up 3 oil filters in 3 hours of running with all of the sludge and junk that it loosened up. So if you do add it to the oil, you may want to run it for a few hours and then change the oil and filter again.
  • evenkeelevenkeel Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input Inuvik. I took the egr valve out and was able to take out a carbon plug that had formed on the intake manifold side of the egr valve mounting hole, as I had read in one post, which suggested that rough idle may be due to egr flow restriction. This greatly improved the idling, but is not just perfect yet. I added fuel injector cleaner to the fuel and will add the Marvel Mistery Oil, which I have used in the past with good results. The remaining slight jump may be due to a worn distributor cap/rotor, which I just filed clean, not replaced, or may be due to carbonized rings as you suggest, which the MMO takes care of. I'll post upon results.
    Thanks a lot for your help
  • mtj67mtj67 Member Posts: 15
    What is this SeaFoam stuff? I mean, I've seen it at the parts store. Does it work good? Should I put some in the gas tank?
    SeaFoam & Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) are both top cylinder and crankcase additives that remove carbon and other deposits. You can use both in either your fuel to clean your valves or your oil to remove sludge, free stuck rings. I have seen some dramatic results from MMO. I used SeaFoam in my Tracker to clean my valves and after one tank my idle improved and stabilized. If you are going to add to your oil, follow the directions, don't use more than is recommended. Also, if you are in hot location, I would not use either of these in my oil in extremely warm weather. I know that MMO can knock enough stuff loose in a dirty engine to plug oil filters so if you use it in your oil, don't assume that you can go 3000 miles before the next oil change.
  • daakotadaakota Member Posts: 2
    looking for a good place to get parts acc for my tracker example roof rack, brush gaurd,and what about putting 215 tire on a four door 4x4 goodyear a/ts or somthing with a little traction
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    go to this site for parts link title
    I'm running 215/70 15's right now with no problem and wouldn't hesitate to put 215/75 15's.

These are some tires that I have had in the past and they are great, but with any traction tire, are relatively noisy. But I have gotten almost 50K out of a pair. Great tire.

http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_specsheet.cfm?id=11

Picture of tire:

http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_lines/off_road/m55.html

They have a 215/75 R15 size which is perfect for the Tracker.
  • sarj52sarj52 Member Posts: 1
    I have a tracker with a 2.0 engine, automatic. It is possible to tow it behind a motorhome with out a tow dolly.Is the speedometer turning while it has been towed, or not, or i have to desconect it to avoid increasing the speedometer reading. thks
  • thearcticmanthearcticman Member Posts: 1
    I've got a '93 Tracker, put a new battery and alternator in but still won't hold charge, have to charge battery every 3-4 days. Any help appreciated.
    This is were we get into the black magic art of auto electrics. From the sounds of it, one of your systems, radio or other electrical device is drawing amperage from your battery while at rest. Something is not completely turned off even if you think it is. For example the rear fogger switch may not have automatically turned off since the last time you turned it on. A voltage reader will tell you which curcuit is drawing what electricity. If your not sure how to use one, get help. It can be time consuming and agravating at the same time. The only sure bet of help I can give you is to make sure your battery post are completely clean first. This is a backyard mechanics worst nightmare, including my own. Good luck, I really mean it. :sick:
  • mgmoodymgmoody Member Posts: 4
    What can cause the "Service engine soon " light to come on?
    Does anyone have a list of what the light is tied to? Is it just time?
    I have a 98 4 door with the 4 cylinder engine and about164265 km's on it. This unit has always run great. In the last few weeks it has started to run a little rough at idle only so the gas treatment is in and running through it now.
    The service engine soon or check engine light comes on when it detects a fault with a engine system usually an emission system. These encompass all sensors that send information regarding air flow, air temp, throttle position, exhaust temp, exhaust particulate, E.G.R valve etc etc. When one of these sensors fails such as an O2 ( Oxygen sensor in you exhaust) it relays false info to the computer running your engine management controls and fuel, causing rough idle or other symptoms. Even an automatic transmission is tied into the check engine light as I found out with my Bonneville. A scanning tool can be bought to plug in and read the code that is stored in the computer, giving you the possible culprit for the light being on. Be careful though, as the fault code could be also a symptom rather than the cause. Example, my 4WD light started blinking, the code reader said a faulty PCM but once the PCM was replaced it produced a code of the 4WD motor actuator, which other members have said was the real culprit not the PCM. The light has nothing to do with time or distance travelled as with maintainance meters in other cars. :shades:
    Thanks. It just seemed ideal that the 264,000 km's is right at 100,000 miles.
    If you read his previous posting, he meant to say 164,000 km's. Just attempting to ward off the impending hoard of corrections.
    lol @ cruzer. Is this your site or something? lol ur always here, huh.
    It gets lonely up here in the winter, but once my igloo melts in the spring and the buffalo start stampeding you probably will not hear from me as much. Plus I am getting out of breath pedalling my stationary bike for electricity. I did however get my Tracker out of it's hibernation and put away the Bombardier snow tractor. Spring is here. :shades:
  • daakotadaakota Member Posts: 2
    Ive seen on ebay the replacement chips to give you 20 more hp does anyone have one and how are they and do they wreak your motor?
    YES 164,000.
    Things have not improved with just gas treatment.
    Next step is dealership for code reading.
    I know it says Chevy on the front but does anyone have any history with Suzuki dealer service. Is it any better than Chevys or is their knowledge of this engine any better?
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    ive seen that chip also. all the chip does it fool the air flow/air temp sensor in thinking that it is cooler outside and there for making the fuel injection give the engine more fuel. too be honest, right now at the rate of how gas prices are going up, having my 2.o engine run richer is that last thing i need... (richer = more fuel useage)

chris
    Imagine going to your doctor, who's main portion of patients are women and girls of all ages. Oh they see the occasional man but very rarely, and has to try and be knowlegable of every ailment that affect women, girls and the occasional man of all ages. Verses a doctor who treats just men in their 30's and boys in their teens. How many different systems and powertrains does a G.M dealer have to know, verses Suzuki, with three or four different powertrains. Familiarity breeds competence, take your pick. Just my humble opinion. ;)
  • captjcaptj Member Posts: 8
    For the collective knowledge base. Although they had lots of tread left after 47K miles, the original P205/75-15 tires on our ‘99 2-door/2.0L/5-spd/4WD Tracker were showing small cracks between the treads. Figuring the direction of the price of oil will not help the economics if we wait longer to buy tires, I went after a new set. I wanted to increase the amount of rubber on the road but not change the tire diameter, so as not to significantly affect the speedometer accuracy or any speed-related emission functions. I calculated that P225/70-15 would increase tread width by almost an inch, but only increase tire diameter by one percent. Bought a set, and they have been fine. No noticeable change in the vehicle characteristics, and no interference with any parts in the wheelwells. While I am on the subject, I recently read an input by a Tracker owner on another site who has had repeated problems with broken wheel studs. Hopefully by now that owner is aware that the torque for last-generation Tracker lugnuts is only 70 ft-lbs (actually 69 ft-lbs per the Service Manual), not the more commonly specified 100 ft-lbs. I long ago became convinced through observation that few tire techs actually use a torque measuring device on lugnuts, and are probably a cause of many of the warped brake rotors, stuck lugnuts, and broken wheel studs out there. My personal policy is to back them off, then reset all the lugnuts to proper torque using a fairly inexpensive torque wrench after I get home following any work on our wheels. Even with our GM N-body Alero, a notorious brake rotor warper, we have yet to have a problem since I adopted this policy. Hope this info helps someone else out there.
  • sc00bssc00bs Member Posts: 87
    My 93 Tracker has 152,000 miles on it. It is having its first major problem and I need help in determining its cause.

Today while turning a corner the car just died. When I finally got it pulled over I let it sit for a few moments and tried to start it. EVerything electrical turned on and the engine tried its hardest to start. After about twice I gave up. I then called a tow truck.

Out of habit I turned the car completely off and took the keys out. When the tow truck arrived neither of us could get the stupid key switch to budge thus the steering column was locked up (that made for an interesting tow truck job, lol).

By the time we got to my home the tow truck driver tried the ignition switch again and this time it turned over (it needed some jiggling and wiggling). However the engine still could not turn over (it tried).

Over the past week the engine has been making this ticking noise. I was advised at that point to try adding some gas treatment to the engine as well as oil treatment (since the car has a lot of miles on it, almost all city miles too). It seemed to work for a while. But prior to the engine stopping itself the car while in a drive thru started to make the ticking noise again.

I always get my fuel at the same place and the car had a FULL tank of fresh gas in it without the additives. Not that it has anything to do with the problem, but hey.
  • dunesmandunesman Member Posts: 4
    i just bought a 2000 4x4 tracker convertable on tuesday. it has 91,000 miles sounds runs and drives great. i took it off road yesterday and thought it did great in the mud. my wife didnt like the way it looked this morning lol. so she made me go wash it. :P

happy trailing :shades:
    becareful going through alot of water. i did this and had to replace the front wheel bearing. Im guessing this was from all the water. i also had to replace 2 sets of rear axle seals, (not from water). Btw does your rig come with A/C,? does it work well?

chris
    yes i have a/c and it works great. i went mudding again had to take the son he's 16 years old. taking him out tommorow to teach him to drive a manual. that should be fun lol.

i love my tracker :shades:
    i used to take mine mudding alot. one thing that really made a difference was B.F.Goodrich all terrain tires. but they are noisey on the street. they lasted me 4 years. I recently went with cooper tires they are also very good offroad but No road noise and WAY less $$$...
    yea them are good tires i used to work in a tire shop. mine has goodyear wranglers on it they still have about 90% tread left. the only bad thing with mudding is washing it afterwards. the under carriage is still a mess i cant get it clean at the car wash guess i will have to crawl under it lol
  • adonyx78adonyx78 Member Posts: 1
    This problem started after leaving the drive through of a KFC. The car just shut off while I was pulling off. After about 15 minutes and several tries to start it back up again, it started. I drove home as quickly as I could for fear of it dying again. I changed the air intake control valve after a mechanic pointed to it as the problem, now it runs quieter than when I bought it, but it still stalls. After three mechanics, this is getting really expensive. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?
  • trackerfantrackerfan Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

I have a 96 Geo Tracker. I never had any problems with it until last March when my "service engine soon" light came on. I have had the car checked by three different shops. They thought it was a faulty oxygen sensor. They replaced the sensor, and the light went off, but when I took the car out on the highway at speeds above 60 mph, the light came back on again. In my state (Ohio) we are required to go through emissions testing before getting license tags. I understand that my car won't pass emissions inspection if the "service engine soon" light is on. Also, strangely enough, the tape player stopped working. Could the light and tape player be connected to some sort of security code? My next step is to go to the dealer. MGMoody - just wondering - what the the dealer do for your Tracker? Did they correct the problem? If so, how did they do it? I really want to hold on to this car as long as I can. I have 120K miles on it, and it's been a real road warrior.

Thank you very much!
  • lramseurlramseur Member Posts: 13
    Where can I find a hard top for my tracker and does anyone have any recommendations?
    The sticker on the center console that shows how to switch to and from 4 wheel drive is faded out ...
    my guess would the dealers, either chevy OR suzuki. but be ready for sticker shock! HARD...... i doubt that simple sticker will be cheap.. you might even have to purchase the console it belongs on.. i never used my sticker anyways. i just read the manual or followed the diagram on the order in which it shifts into high or low. i know you cant except i think it is 55mph in high and i think it is 25 or 35 in Low. other than that, there isnt much to know..

chris
    I tried one Chevy dealer and he could not find it in his book. If anyone has a good one they could take a picture of and email that would work too. Thanks.
    mine is also faded but it is also shown or written in the owners manual. can send you a pic of that.
    Thanks for the offer. I have a .pdf copy of the manual but was wanting a sticker or good picture of the sticker for the wife.
    My service engine soon light came on, but went off like 2 days later. Anyway, the scan showed P0400-EGR Flow. Well, the obvious thing to check first is the valve...exactly where is it? Is it a quick, easy fix? 2000 Chevy Tracker, 4 CYL 2.0L
    They changed out the fuel filter first. This cleared one of the error codes.(it should have been done before on routine maintenance anyway as this was the original filter).
    After they test drove it it came back with a second error code and stalled again. This earned a changed out EGR valve. That seems to have fixed it.
    We have not been driving it as much as we were just before it started having trouble but it does have a few hundred more kilometers on it and it is running fine again.
    The Suzuki dealer does seem to be the way to go for knowledge but it did take them two days to get the EGR valve shipped in.
  • englishemenglishem Member Posts: 2
    I just found this message so I'm sure you have resolved your problem by now...but no, I had to bite the bullet and spend the money. That's the only major thing I've ever had go wrong with my Tracker, though.
  • rudypoprudypop Member Posts: 2
    Can the sun roof portion of the top on a 2002 be removed easily. I had a 1995 Tracker previously tht allowed this to be done, the sun roof portion was part of the 1 piece top. The 2002 model is 2 piece and is seperate and looks like this has to be done using some tools. I was hoping the front part can be removed easily without having to get out the tools.
  • jfrench2jfrench2 Member Posts: 1
    I am having problems with my 1999 Chevy Tracker 4x4 Convertible also. The check engine light keeps going on and off, and every once in a while it will flash. When it flashes, it gets very putsy. It has never stalled or anything, but I also do not believe it is getting near the gas mileage it should be. I am thinking that it needs to have the plugs replaced and possibly the o2 sensor. The Code Scanner came back and said cylinder misfire?! Would that be caused from the plugs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    well, mine is the EGR Flow...I had it scanned. But yeah, if you havn't changed the plugs or O2 Sensor in a while, you probably should. Also, check the timing...that will cause like a misfire too.