Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    im not sure if they are called wheel flares or not. but they are the plastic covers that go over the wheel wells like on the chevy tracker ZR-2. i really want a set bad to cover little dents and rust on my 1999 tracker 2-door. any websiteS you guys know of that you could show me?
  • rvgondarvgonda Member Posts: 12
    Arkainzeye,

They are called fender flares and here's a web site that has a number of brands of them. It is all one line so copy and paste the whole thing into the address line at the top of you browser- if clicking on it here doesn't work.

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/fender_flares.htm?GTSE=goog&GTKW=fender+flare- - s

If you have trouble due to a slow phone line, let me know and I will go to that web site and browse for flares specific to you vehicle and pass the info along.

I failed in an installation attempt of a rear hitch on my ZR2. One of the four bolt holes does not line up so it looks like it's going to take either some muscle-ing with a crowbar for aligninment or filing or drilling.

Ray
    Also, when you get to the web site, look to the left at the first item under "Cool Stuff". It'll get you a better price than anywhere - or at least - online.
  • inuvikinuvik Member Posts: 163
    My 2001 2L 4X4 auto shifts dramatically different when the "power" switch is on. It downshifts with less throttle, and revs higher before shifting to the next higher gear. So if you aren't noticing any difference then there is a problem somewhere.
    Inuvik,

Do I understand you correctly? Does it do so with ordinary (light to moderate) throttle?

Arkainzeye said his works under, if I understand him correctly, heavy throttle. I tried mine out on a 1/2 mile long very steep hill which required at least moderate throttle just to get up, but the shift rpms didn't at all change from when the switch was disengaged.

Likewise, light throttle doesn't show a difference.

Ray
    thats for the link, but no where on there did i see the flares for the chevy tracker. they had them for just about every other chevy but the tracker... 8(
    Aarkainseye, If you didn't see anything on the website itself I would call the toll free number and let them do the search as a next step. You can also do a google or Yahoo or MSN search on "fender flares" or "fender flares Chevrolet Tracker" or something simlar to these words and see what your retrieve. I work using search features with Internet sites and toll free numbers all the time and usually find what I'm searching for, i.e., if it exists.
    Ray
  • mtj67mtj67 Member Posts: 15
    Hey, what is that little thing on the top of the dashboard up in the passenger side corner...and what does it do? lol
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    If your talking about the black circle, it is the sensor for the automatic headlights. If you cover it in the daytime with something the headlights will stay on all the time.
  • mtj67mtj67 Member Posts: 15
    My headlights stay on all the time. I guess those are the Daytime Running Lamps? However, I have noticed that the dash lights go on & off depending on the darkness/lightness...I bet that's what the sensor is for, huh? Is there a way to disable the running lights?
    I have a 2004 v6 and am approaching the 30,000 mile mark where I would like to change out the PVC valve. The book says there is one on the motor but this is the first vehicle I've owned that the valve is not pictured on the emissions diagram under the hood. Does anyone out there know where it is located on the engine or if there is one at all?
  • woody72woody72 Member Posts: 73
    The DRL are your headlights low beam bulb on all the time except when the parking brake is on. The photo eye light sensor on the dash will turn on the dash lights, rear lights, disable the parking brake exception described above, and allow high beams when desired all when it is dark (or near dark). Don't know why you would want to disable the DRL, but I'm sure it is possible, probably through the parking brake switch disabling the DRL when engaged. The only disadvantage I see with the DRL is shorter bulb life. I just replaced one at 100K miles. Not a bad life span!
  • lramseurlramseur Member Posts: 13
    My heater core just went belly up and leaked anti freeze all over the right front floor. It is a 2001 model. Is this normal? Is there a recall for these cores? How long a waranty does a tracker have. It cost me $700 at the chevy dealer. I'm not a happy camper.
    Iranseur, Warranty is 3yrs/36000 miles, whichever comes first. Warranty on emissions components runs much longer(7 yrs?). Sorry to hear about the heater core; that's pretty astonishing; probably not anywhere near normal. Any hint as to why it went bad?
    It is not normal unless you have never had your cooling system flushed and refilled in the last 5 years. The green antifreeze can cause rust over time if not changed. It is possible that the heater core rusted out. If you have had the maintenance done contact Chevrolet Customer Assistance, the number is in your owners manual. See if you can get some reimbursement from them. Your warranty was for 36 months or 36000 miles. If you had bought the Suzuki Vitara which is the same vehicle you would have had a 84 month 100,000 mile warranty on the drive train although I don't think the heater core would have been under that warranty either.
  • lramseurlramseur Member Posts: 13
    I have no clue as to why it went bad. It is driven very little and garaged. I bought it with 56000 miles and it seems to be in very good shape.
  • poorcruzerpoorcruzer Member Posts: 141
    Hi there: If you open your hood and look at the left front side of the engine below the intake plenum, which is the tubular cast aluminium piece on top of the engine. You will see a horizontal hose travelling from the middle of the engine to the cylinder head. This is the PVC hose, at the end of the hose at the head is the PVC valve. The PVC valve should just pull out, but buy a new one and take a look at it before you pull the old one out. :)
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Chevrolet Tracker
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • shortieshortie Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2002 Tracker, 4cyl. 5 speed. When climbing hills or under heavy exceleration, a hot metal smell almost over whelms us. The thing runs great and we have had no problems in the year we have had it. Any thoughts ?
  • harleyjohn45harleyjohn45 Member Posts: 4
    also have a keyless remote feature. i bought a 2001 recently and it did not have a keyless remote clicker with the key. just wondering.
    i have a dome light problem too. it works in the middle position, but won't shut off with all the doors closed. just sort of blinks. i will have to find which switch is not working properly.
    my 2001 4 cyl automatic hates gas. you will get 25 no sweat with a 5 speed.
  • techbecktechbeck Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me, maybe the poster called jackmarks, if this spindle socket will be able to get the spindle nut off of a 2000 chevy tracker??

Part#: 09951-16050
    http://www.suzukipitstop.com

I basically need to replace my CV joint but I need to remove the spindle nut to do so. This site is for suzuki parts but a chevy tracker is pretty much the same thing.

thanks!
  • emgeebeeemgeebee Member Posts: 5
    Two of my wheel caps are ruined and the Chevy dealer wants $60+ each for new ones. I've seen some on Ebay for earlier model Geos and Suzukis for MUCH less. Does anyone know if the caps from pre-1999 Geos and Suzukis will fit my 2000 Tracker? (My plan would be to paint them solid black rather than having the Geo/Suzuki emblem showing). Thanks in advance for your help
    I finally found a set at a halfway reasonable price, so no need to respond. But I have another question that I'll be posting shortly.
    I'd like to replace the rear section of my Tracker soft top with a hard top but want to keep the soft sunroof. Any recommendations for a good brand of hard top? Thanks.
    do a search for chevy tracker hardtop and you will find results. i just recently replaced my soft with a new soft top . i thought about getting a hard top but i couldnt justify the costs for what my tracker is worth. I bought a complete new top front and rear for under $400. i think the hard top was over $1000. If my a/c worked on my 1999 tracker i might have gotten the hard top but i dont wanna sink too much money in this thing as i dont plan on keeping it much longer. age is starting to show on it.
    Thanks for your reply, arkainzeye. I've conducted searches and found hardtop sources. What I'm needing now is for someone to hopefully give me some information about quality. For example, two of the brands I've found are Protop and Bestop, but I don't know if one is better than the other or not. If anyone has any firsthand experience I'd appreciate your input.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You may want to nose around some of the Wrangler boards - I see Bestop posts now and then over there.
    Thank you for your suggestion, Steve. I'll take a look.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A better suggestion is to use the Advanced Search tool on the left (doing a text search) - you should get ~200 hits that way. I didn't try looking for the other brand.
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    What do you think it the best engine tranny combination for the Tracker or Suzuki? My personal preference would be the 5 speed 2.0 4cyl 99+. How does it compare to the 1.6, 1.8 or 2.5 6cyl?
    from what i remember the 5 speeds were bad news for the 99 models! something about grinding gears. when i bought my 99 i made sure not to get a 5 speed and i remembered reading on here about manual transmission issues. my tracker has the 2.0 engine with the optional 4 Speed automatic. you can turn the overdrive on and off. the overdrive makes a real difference in Rpm;s at highway speeds. ive driven a 4 door tracker with the 4 speed auto & 2.5l V-6. once you got the v-6 up in rpm's it had a nice little kick to it as far as power. now the 1999 1.6 litre, there is a 30 Hp difference between the 1.6 and 2.0litre. 1.6-97HP 2.0-127hp 2.5-155Hp
  • nochevynochevy Member Posts: 8
    I had the complete Clutch replaced in my 1999 Tracker. And still have the same noise. Push the Clutch in, the noise stops. Minus the noise, the car drives and shifts great. Does anyone know what this problem is?
  • trackergirltrackergirl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Tracker with about 160,000 km on it and have no heat. I've had the thermostat replaced and the system cleaned and flushed. At this point the mechanic says that the next step is to replace the heater core but that's a $500 Cnd part and 7 hours labour!! Unfortunately it's no longer on warranty but as it's not even 5 years old I don't understand why this is happening. Any hints/ideas/suggestions? Anyone else have a similar problem? :confuse:
  • jack_cavjack_cav Member Posts: 1
    hey guys, Ive got a 99 tracker 1.6l and it started jerking a bit in low rpms like its not getting gas. Ive got a new oil and air filter in there and i put some injector cleaner in today. Does anybody have any ideas what might be going on here

jack
    automatic or 5 speed? how does it idle when at a stop light? i wonder when was the last time the fuel filter was replace (if ever).

chris
  • carlostrackercarlostracker Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing the same problem with my 2001 Chevy Tracker. Did you get a final answer to that problem? Please, if so help me. Thanks
  • bex1bex1 Member Posts: 6
    Hey emgeebee! I joined this website just to talk to you. I saw your thread about the wheel caps for a Geo, which is what I'm looking for. I've been on the internet all day, and I'm buggin' cos I can't find them, and then I come across your thread. Where did you get them? I'm looking for 2 front caps with the front opened so you can get to the manual locking hubs. HELP!!!
    After my thread for emgeebee (above), I suppose I should introduce myself. I have a 1991 Tracker, owned since 1995, with 148,000 miles on it. I'm originally from New York, but moved to Ireland 9 years ago, and took the Tracker with me. Fortunately, they have the Suzuki Vitara over here - the parts are interchangeable, so I've had no trouble maintaining it since I got here. I've had a couple of 'inconveniences' with it, like the computer went last year (saw the thread about this being common); I couldn't get a replacement over here but was lucky to find someone in England who rebuilds them, so that wasn't too bad. I don't mind the left hand drive (even though I'm driving on the opposite side of the road now). Mine's a soft top, but I haven't taken the top off in ages, as it's a pain to get on and off, and besides, the weather here is terrible. But I think this car is great, and am happy to have found this webiste so I can get all sorts of info on the car, and maybe contribute a bit too.
    Ah, just found two on e-bay, so problem solved. Still glad to be on this forum anyway!
  • ellinchellinch Member Posts: 2
    Did you get a response on how to change those license plate bulbs? I sure do need to know. Thanks.

Cheryl
  • ellinchellinch Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me how to change the license plate bulbs on a 1999 model?
  • junefjunef Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buying a 2003 Tracker w/ only 28,000 miles but when I remove the oil cap when the engine running I get quite a bit of oil blowing out. This would usually indicate ring troubles, but the check engine light is not on and the mileage is so low. Could this be normal?
    Thanks!
    i just traded in my 1999 2-door tracker for a 2004 v-6 4door tracker. can anyone PLEASE share with me the fluid capacities? how much oil, trany etc.. i have the owners booklet but i cant seen the findout how Much fluid each part of the tracker takes.. i want to replace all fluids with synth just like i did with my last tracker..
    found it!!

v-6 2.5 engine 5.8 qts
    I just traded my 2004 v-6 Tracker in December. Maybe you bought it but highly unlkely since I am in Michigan. It was silver with LT package and no ABS. It had just over 30,000 miles on it.
    E-bay is selling what they are calling a speed chip, apparently some kind of plug in resistor that modifies your air/fuel ratio and can give you between 20%-30% more horsepower and increase torque as well. I have a 1991 Geo Tracker, which although I think it's great, I have to admit it's not very peppy. Anyone ever hear of these chips or put one in their Tracker? Would be interested to hear any comments on whether or not I should get it. Thanks!