Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Why are so many inferior vehicles considered status symbols?

Comments

• stevekilburnstevekilburn Member Posts: 359
    I think we should boycott these evil monsters who are involved in child labor. Now whenever I see a Maybach and Rolls, I see a sweat-shop with hundreds of tiny children.

Is it morally okay? I dont think so.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Investing 200K in educational Institutions or even high schools will support "Hundred" students. These students after graduation will support the economy to a

and the smart hard working students from poor backgrounds will end up growing up and driving a Ferarri and giving their spouses a Maybach as a Valentines Day gift.

And the smartest ones will outsource their business activities and support the livelihoods of thousands of impoversished and hungry people in poor countries. And hopefully their businesses will thrive so they can buy a second Ferarri and help the auto workers from Italy.

Nothing wrong with that, dont you think?
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    Andre:

I have a Honda, so I can bash it all I want...and I have a domestic, so I can do that too.... ;)

My Suburban is being born again as we speak...with new paint and new freshenup all around....
    What about the Bentley Continental Flying Spur?

Price = $172K

Based on what I read this car is in hot demand. The Flying Spur is most similar to is a VW Phaeton. This Bentley has the same W12 engine and chassis of the Phaeton and 55 percent of its parts are Phaeton parts. The key difference between the Phaeton and the Flying Spur is that the Bentley engine is turbocharged while the same engine in the Phaeton is not turbocharged.

Ironically the Phaeton at a fraction of the price of the Flying Spur could not be sold in the USA while Bentley cant sell enough Flying Spurs.

If people were rational the Phaeton would be one hot car and the Bentley Flying Spur would not be able to fly off dealer lots. Unfortunately rationality does not apply when buying a Bentley.
    I recently saw a Maybach with MD plates, so apparently a physician can earn enough to afford one.

My friend who drives one is an MD...and he also owns a professional center that treats his patients. HE gets up at all hours to check on the condition of his patients. HE doesn't alwaays show up at Disneyland since frequently he is on call, when he is NOT working. ( you have to be within a certain distance of hospital when on call.)...
    so the precious few hours that he has for himself and his family, he wants to enjoy it. HE is an upstanding person who supports charities. They also have old money....so money is not the problem....most people get their money from real estate and working hard at their own business.
    The smart and the smartest will buy a ferrari each for lightweight love, but God will not forgive them if they choose overweight love.

The smart, the smarter and the smartest will pour their 200K again into education and learning so that 100 more students will come out from each of the 100 X 200K investment with same passion.

100 X 100 = Ten thousand and so on.

This will start a chain reaction and so happiness will win, not obesity and arrogance
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    How do 100 students become educated for a mere 200K?
    By outsourcing the education to poor countries. :P
  • vchiuvchiu Member Posts: 564
    >Besides, Jesus wants the 200K+ to go towards education

Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain;
    Commandment number 7.

Mentioning Jesus here is both unappropriated and subject to controversy in this thread. I would be ultimately cautious before attributing some opinion to any religious figure.

>Investing 200K in educational Institutions or even high schools will support "Hundred" students. These students after graduation will support the economy to a

This is an effort everybody must participate in and not only the super-rich because they were "guilty" of making more money than the average guy. Too easy to have a few pay for the many
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    The education sector is as bloated and inefficient as GM and Ford...it doesn't need an infusion of cash, it needs increased accountability and efficiency, along with a more realistic assessment of what it can and cannot achieve.

The "fat" dealer, along with the sales and service department people employed by him or her, will make more efficient use of the money.
    hello vchiu:

Great points.....

But the use of God was in the metaphysical terms...and what would he want us to do...I think that is what steve meant. I agree that none of us can guess as to the Almighty's plan for us....

Also agree that it takes all of us....the whole community and culture, to participate ( and not just with money) in making it cool and culturally admirable to study and be smart.
    agree that education sector has a lot of top heavy administrators....who just push paper instead of teach. They siphon off a lot of funds that could be used to attract and retain good teachers....

money for cars is good. money for teachers is good.

But most importantly, parents have to spend real time and support children's learning at all levels...

including use of money to buy their first car....status symbol or inferior car, or practical car...!! (attempt to stay on topic)
  • cluedweaselcluedweasel Member Posts: 150
    "ncluding use of money to buy their first car....status symbol or inferior car, or practical car...!! (attempt to stay on topic)"

Used to see a scary number of parents coming in to by Infiniti G35 Coupes for their kiddies as a first car. I'm not sure I'd want a 16 year old driving a 280hp RWD sports coupe. The G35 has lots of nice safety feautes but turn off the VDC and it becomes a real over-steering handful.
    I agree, cluedweasel....

My eldest son does not want our Acura TL 2004 with A-spec package...and we asked him...and he said he wanted a minivan...so that is what we got...
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "..choose overweight love."

It's okay to have a Ferrari, or many inferior status symbols, many houses, butlers, attendents, jewelery, be flashy and conspicous as long as one follows the 10 main laws and then backs up that behavior with 613 other strong suggestions. All will actually be okay. YMMV.
    >The problem is not about the car or the wealth itself. It's about how the rich one got rich in the first place. Even your average blood-sucking lawyer cannot afford a Maybach. It probably involves drug, dirty politics and child labour to get there.

Probably, probably not. Your way of thinking is predominant in my home country, France. Anyone making much above average is deemed suspicious of ripping of our poor victim workers of their basic means. There is no need to explain any further why this Capital-unfriendly country is not doing well.

French cars (decent in the economy class but inexistant in premium class) are a true reflection of this. Maybe you prefer French cars...
    >All will actually be okay

It may, but there is about one billion people who may at best feel lukewarm about those suggestions, maybe not for reasonable reasons.

Anyway, until proven guilty, those who made enough money to buy supercars should be considered innocent. If those guys were not existing, then supercars would not exist either. Our world would be quite dull and not necessarily "better".
    "billion people who may at best feel lukewarm about those suggestions"

That may be true, but that is why they are only suggestions. Unlike a previous post that said in not so many words, I did not suggest you will be doomed to eternal damnation if you don't follow any of the preceeding suggestions and, I do not think the supreme being sets the cutoff for damnation at $200K.
    Probably, probably not. Your way of thinking is predominant in my home country, France. Anyone making much above average is deemed suspicious of ripping of our poor victim workers of their basic means.

France is a Bureaucrat's Nirvana and that is probably why 70 percent of the French youth yearn to enter the civil service.

. Ironically entrepreneur is a French word but in France itself wealthy hard working entrepreneurs are looked down upon as exploiters of labor while Civil servants are emulated as heroic saviors.

Currently I am grateful to have my own business since I have memories of being a government employee at the Canadian tax department and that experience almost killed me(death from politics and boredom).
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109884

Fintail, you can finally afford a SLR !!!! :P

Rocky
  • bigdveedubgirlbigdveedubgirl Member Posts: 402
    We had had 2 of our A8 clients who were on waiting lists for the flying spur and then when they got them they HATED it. One took it back. One is now on an order for a W12 A8.
    Smart clients.
    Meh, my car has carbon fiber trim on the b-pillar, that's close enough for me
    LOL :D

Rocky
    I like that kind of camaderie and joshing around... :)
    I figured fintail would get a kick out of it.
    I think the cut-off for eternal damnation should be 100K and should be increased at the same rate as the annual inflation rate.

This should exclude all overweight passions.

Of course Ferrari is exempt as it is God's own car, :P ;)
    Thanks for explaining it.

Although everyone in the society should contribute, I think Rich have more responsibility.

We should remember what God said, that the more capable are also more responsible.
    I think things in France are changing and they will change more rapidly towards our no-holes barred Anglo-saxon Economy.
    ;)

The question we must ask is will Anglo-American economic style evolve into something more narcissist or will it become more ethical.

In other words will there be more enrons or will there be more
    GEs.
    LOL...about the ferrari's....

I agree...those who have more..may have a civic duty to do more...

or as they said in Spiderman: " to those with great powers, comes great responsibility."
    >I think the cut-off for eternal damnation should be 100K and should be increased at the same rate as the annual inflation rate.

I agree. Lest us pray the Almighty to send to hell anyone buying for less than 100k. The uneducated, helpless mass buys cheaply produced cars that clog our roads and look anonymous. Only those who value the cars enough and pay the real money should be allowed to have a taste of Heaven.

This should exclude anorexic reasons.

Of course, the 2CV is exempt...
    :)
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Of course, the 2CV is exempt...

I would suspect that being stuck with a 2CV is the equivalent of purgatory.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

I don't think BMW makes inferior vehicles that are considered status symbols. They arene't exclusive, they are good mainstream vehicles. I know that when I plunk down $42 large for a loaded E90, I can get better vehicles such as the Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee, maybe evan an IS350.
    Well don't tell the 3 series fans that. They think BMW's are inferior status vehicles. ;)

Rocky
    Thid depends on what you mean by "stuck". If stuck means the vehicle has broken down, then (at least in France) the repair bill may be much cheaper with 2CV than many other brands.

Depending on what one means with "inferior" and "Status symbol", it seems this car really enters the category. Owning one is Hype but will be always regarded with sympathy (if not compassion) in that country.
    "I think the cut-off for eternal damnation should be 100K and should be increased at the same rate as the annual inflation rate."

I had a talk with the almighty and he said the cutoff is now $20K. It was conveyed to me, and I was asked to spread the word that we should all be driving Hyundais. I suspect that once word gets out about this Land Rovers should be available for a mere pittance.
  • ayyateayyate Member Posts: 53
    Well put. The original message suggests that reliability is the primary reason to choose a particular vehicle. I rank uniqueness, performance, pride of ownership, above reliability. After all, that's why God invented warranties. As long as Audi will repair my A8 at no charge and give me a loaner car, I will not be concerned about the occasional problem. Furthermore, owners of the allegedly less reliable BMW's, Range Rovers, and others listed probably have another car in the garage.
    It is a reasonable question. One that has been asked long before there was a Lexus or an Acura.

Part of the answer is effective marketing on the part of those manufacturers. That is one reason why Rolex watches and Mont Blanc pens are so often thought of, by the uninformed, as the best in their respective niches, when they are clearly not.

And who says reliability should rank first anyway? Isn't that what warranties and loaner car programs are for?

I have no answer for the existence of the Hummer, however. That one baffles me.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    would you consider a Scion xB as a status symbol (or even Frugal Symbol) now that Kelley Blue Book has listed it as the #2 of top 10 hottest / most wanted vehicles?

Odie
    I wouldn't call a $17,000 car a status symbol.

It might be one in high school or something

At the same time 17K can buy a vintage car that the layman will think is much more expensive.
    When I was in high school what made status was how many cars you could keep behind you ;)

LOL..... Ain't that the truth for your generation. :D

My Generation was all about who had the most "bass" and how many times did it make your heart skip beats. :shades:

Rocky
    I think that all comes back to the idea/fact that some vehicles have status to some and none to others. When I was in school, it was measured by the loudness of your exhaust or the jacked-up-ness of your pickup. My school was kinda redneck.

Something tells me a DTS with a carriage top is a status item to 80 year olds.
    Right now I think status for kids is how stupid they can make their car look.

LOL. Why do old folks like them fintail ?

Rocky
    I think because these oldsters were hitting their peak earning power around 1972, when such things were in style.
    From one oldster who was there at the time, fins hit their peak in 1959. Even then, people knew it was ridiculous and would not last. By the way, the manufacturer of the car with the "distinction" of having the highest fins was GM.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    "I think that all comes back to the idea/fact that some vehicles have status to some and none to others."

Relative status indeed...I knew a friend of a friend who, upon inheriting a decent amount of money from a recently-deceased uncle, immediately went out and bought himself a fully-loaded Pontiac Firebird. He was esp. happy it had a 6-disc cd player so he could put all of his Def Leppard cds in at once... ;)
This discussion has been closed.