Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• dchrisdchris Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 2001 tracker. Even though main car fan was pusing air through, the main A/C fan was seized. Fan cost about $150 + install.
  • craig8186craig8186 Member Posts: 2
    Hi there

I have a 2003 Tracker with the same problem you were describing (intermittant heat). Did you ever solve your problem and figure out the cause?

Craig8186
  • craig8186craig8186 Member Posts: 2
    I have an '03 Chevy Tracker, recently started to give trouble - wasn't putting out heat from heater. I have changed thermostat - no change. It will blow cold air from heater then suddenly switch to heat for a minute then switch back to cold and so on. Any idea's? Then system is very clean, nice green coolant....

Craig8186
  • paul96paul96 Member Posts: 1
    I always used 34 pounds of pressure in my Tracker tires. But I am also interested in your buying a new Tracker in Mexico. I have had two, latest a '96, which I now regret I sold and am trying to find a '98 to buy. But if new ones are available in Mexico, that would seem to be very interesting. I once bought a Volvo in Canada and saved thirty percent of the price. But the main point would be a newer Tracker. I would be grateful for anything you could share on how you went about getting the one in Mexico: are they different from US vehicles? Was it really new? Thanks much.
  • msbehaviormsbehavior Member Posts: 1
    A friends mother has a 2000 Tracker. The elctric fan blades have broken. Couple of questions. First, what is the electric fan for? 2nd, is it really needed? Right now we have just pulled the plug on it until it can be replaced.... if it needs replaced. I've never seen an electric fan set up on a stock vehicle like this before. We did it to a Jeep as a trans cooler. But haven't seen it set up like this. Just curious too as to how it works and why its there.

Thanks all
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    i believe the electric fan next to the radiator is used for when she sits in traffic and the tracker starts to overheat. It basically stops it from overheating in traffic. I would go to a salvage yard and get a replacement so that she doesnt over heat while stuck at a long red light OR if theres an accident ahead...
  • huckflinnhuckflinn Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2000 Chevy Tracker. I am not in favor of DRL. Being a responsible driver, I am more than capable of activating my headlights at each and every situation that it is beneficial to activate my headlights.
    I've done some searching for instructions on how to disable DRL, but found no clear answers.
    Is there anyone out there familiar with the 2000 Chevy Tracker that can assist in instructing me how to disable DRL?
    I know I can pull the parking brake up a notch, but is there a (relatively simple or difficlut) way to permanently provide me alone, as the captain of the ship, with the hefty responsibility of turning on my headlights when needed?
    And more importantly... turning them off.
    Thank you in advance,
    Tom
  • mjpowermjpower Member Posts: 7
    calmini.com has a ton of after market parts, like lift kits and rock crawler convertion gears, check with them. They are easy to work with, and maybe able to direct you to someone if they don't make it.
    Here is the link I used to get info about disabling my lights.

http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html

The Suzuki Vitara is a sister car to the Tracker and here are the instructions they gave for that vehicle.

1. Unplug the DRL module located under the dash to the right of the steeering column. It's a small silver box with a multi pin plug in its side, pretty obvious.
    2. Lift the circular light sensor on the right side of the dash. Unplug it. Don't drop the plug into the dash. Retain it and be sure to secure it with a string attached to the sensor housing so it can be recovered if need be, and does not rattle
    Easy as that!

Here is another link directed toward a 2001 Tracker.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070618100133AAqVjvx

Hope this helps.
  • trackergaltrackergal Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Tracker which has been a fun and reliable vehicle.
    Recently I had problem with the fan seizing up, and I went to the dealership and the elecrtic fan, which he indicated cools the engine and also defrosts the inside windows needs replacement. At this time, he told me that he pulled the relay switch plug and informed me that it would need to be fixed before the weather gets too warm, since it needs to cool down the engine. (I live in Wisconsin). He also informed me that it would cost about 600.00. Has anyone have this issue, and is the cost accurate. Please advise.
  • scotterscotter Member Posts: 14
    A few things you should know. First, the electric fan has nothing to do with cooling the engine per say. The tracker has a belt driven fan behind the radiator that draws air across the radiator for engine cooling. The electric fan only goes on when the air conditioning is on, to push more air across the a/c condenser. Now one may say that when the a/c is on the elctric fan helps cool the engine, but in reality it doesnt.

His comment about the fan defrosts the the inside windows is also not really correct. When you turn on the defroster, the a/c compressor runs at temperatures above 30F, and again when the a/c is on so is the electric fan, but in itself it does not defrost the windows.

Now as for your fan replacement.....I would try a Suzuki dealer to see what their cost is for a Vitara fan, as it is the same vehicle. Other option would be, as I did with my wife's minivan, is take the fan off, and take it to an electric motor shop and see if they can rebuild it. I had the minivan fan rebuilt for $ 105 and a new one from Ford was $400. The other thing you may try is to lubricate the fan motor if it is seized due to dry bearings. The fan motor is not as "liquid tight" as one would think, and driving on the roads in Wisconsin, I would think that salt spray from the road over time would find its way into the motor and could cause it to seize up. I would try some spray lubrican like WD 40 etc, and spray it inside the motor through any opening you can find, let it sit for a while, start the car and turn on te a/c and see if the an runs. Keep in mind that in cooler weater the a/c will run for a short time and then due to low suction pressure it will shut off, pressure will rise, compressor will run again for a short time and shut off.

Hope this helps you, and if you have any oter questions, feel free to ask.
  • iowafaniowafan Member Posts: 1
    Is there a problem putting 205/75/15's on my LT
    when it calls for 205/70/15's?
    Thank's. Craig.
  • cheech73cheech73 Member Posts: 14
    hey all, newbie here. i just purchased a 1999 chevy tracker base model. i think i got a decent deal out of it, i got it for 4k and it had 86k miles and the body was in really good condition, new breaks and tires too.. BUT my question the motor seems to vibrate a bit to much to my liking, just wondering would it could be? im planning to do a tune up in a few weeks, i have already added fuel injector cleaner to see if that would help but it didnt or maybe im not noticing. i also bought some slick 50 fuel system and it says it smooths out some of the ruffness in idling so i will give that a go also... but any thoughts and tips would be great.. thanks
  • erscoloerscolo Member Posts: 11
    Make sure you follow the service recommendations in the owners' manual. I picked up a 2004 Tracker with 40,173 miles a year ago, and since performing most (except the trans case and transmission fluid changes) of the service recommended, I've had no problems with the car at all. Also, I was amazed how much junk came out when I had the fuel injection system cleaned out. The difference was quite noticable afterwords, not to mention the massive plume of grey smoke while it was being done.
    I personally wouldnt use any of tha slick50 or any other engine treatment. if you go to the ftc.gov. you will read that slick50 along with others have gotten sued for their claims of what their product does. As long as you are running a good engine oil there is no need for a addtive. I have read where outside addtives can cause the oil to break down soon than expected..

also make sure you dont have a busted motor mount!
  • dmcashdmcash Member Posts: 1
    Hello to ALL….yes, I’m the new guy on the block, and I’m glad I came across this forum.

I have a 2001 Tracker 4-Dr 4x4 with a 2.0L, and yes I also have my first question for the group.

We’ve just experienced a steering problem, and after reading some of the postings regarding the lower steering shaft u-joints failing, I removed the shaft and indeed found the lower joint to be NG.

I’ve found a couple of sites listing a replacement shaft for more than $300, what I was wondering is if anyone knows just what parts are interchangeable between the same year Suzuki Vitara?

Does a cross-reference chart exist?

One of the sites listed one for the Suzuki of the same year, it was $100 cheaper than the one listed for my Tracker but I don’t know if it’s actually the same part?

Does anyone know if this part is in fact the same between the two models?

Many thanks, Dave
    ok cool, glad you informed me about that, i will think twice before making another slick 50 purchase...

as far the motor shaking it could be very well the motor mounts, it seems to go into drive and reverse pretty hard, to me thats a good indication.. its going to the mechanics this week for a tune up while i am there i am having them check the motor and trannie mounts.. anyone know what replacing a motor mount or mounts costs??? so i have an idea.. thanks for the reply.
  • aaronlaneaaronlane Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2002 Tracker and the same thing is happening now. The interior and exterior (including headlights) are dimming and going back to normal for a while (30 seconds or so) then it goes back to normal for a while... then it starts blinking again for a while, etc.

The check engine light is also on. Having had the code checked at my local shop, they said it was the front O2 sensor, but they have no idea how that could cause any blinking...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    This sound just like what happened to my ford when the battery and alternator was going it caused all sorts of crasy thing to happen with the electrical. I would have those checked before you are stranded some where. Cause when they go it could be in an intersection. Thats what happened to me and that is how I got my Tracker.

And just because I referenced a ford doesnt mean it couldn't happen to a chevy, those 2 parts cause the same problems in all vehicles.

Good luck
  • aaronlaneaaronlane Member Posts: 3
    Yeah, that happened to me once in my old Ford Ranger as well. I checked those in the Tracker, and they tested fine... twice. I was hoping it was that too. I can fix that one. I also replaced the fan belt just for good measure in case it was slipping.

I also removed the chassis ground wire and wire brushed that and the contact.

Still blinking.
    Ok, did a partial tune up on the tracker, changed the gas filter, bought a K&N air filter and changed the spark plugs. I also changed the 2 motor mounts, goes into gear much smoother now not as ruff, car runs much better under acceleration. BUT i still get a bad vibration,happens badly when not moving in drive and in reverse, although its better its still there. i thought doing a tune up and changing the mounts would take care of this.. i think the car idles pretty low is there a way to raise the idling in these cars.. my mechanic says he has not worked on these cars alot and says these cars idling is computerized, can i raise the idling??
  • poorcruzerpoorcruzer Member Posts: 141
    I have a 2003 Tracker LT with the 2.5L 6cyl. Looking through the Helms GM service manual it states the generator (altenator) for these trucks come in three states of output- 60, 70 and 85 amps. I am just taking an educated guess that the 60 is for the 1.6L. The 70 is for the 2.0L, the 85 amp is for my 2.5L. Would I be correct?
    The reason I am asking is I would like to put a set of PIAA fog lamps on my brushguard. The 540 series runs a 55w bulb. The 520s run 85 watts. I am just concerned with putting too much of a load on the generator/altenator and would accept all advice on this matter.

Thank you in advance

PS My A/C went on the blink recently and was traced to a blown fuse. I took the truck into Suzuki who showed me how the condensor fan in the very front of the truck could have a bit of ice build up if in one place for a while and when the A/C is activated it blows the fuse instead of frying the fan motor. If you don't drive your rig in the winter for any lenght of time reach in through the grill and just move the fan blades. If you hear a squealing or scratchy noise coming out of the condensor fan or the fan blades seem to catch, it's on the way out and will have to be replaced.
    We all know engineers underrate their tow ratings for vehicles. The reason Chev does is obvious as they want you to buy a bigger truck. Can't have a small Chevy truck pulling the same as a full size half ton P/U. Here's where the conspiracy theory comes in. I bet you seven ways to Sunday Chevy "CONVINCED" Suzuki to match their underated tow rating for the Grand Vitara. My 2003 2.5L V-6 LT 4 dr is rated for 1500lbs and yet there is another web-site that states a 3500lbs ratings. The same year Suzuki XL-7 with the 2.7L and a whole lot heavier truck is 3000lbs. Could I tow 3000lbs safely with my Tracker? Watchcha think? :P
    is there a difference in Brakes between the 2.5 tracker and the 2.7 suzuki. that might have something to do with towing. Not the fact of power but the ability to STOP when you need too...
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The reason Chev does is obvious as they want you to buy a bigger truck.

That's not obvious to me. Quality engineers know (a) that lives are on the line and (b) that irresponsible people will push the safety margins to their limit then seek massive damages when their luck runs out. I think prudence trumps conspiracy in this case.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    can someone please give me some ideas of what my problem could be. i already did a partial tune up, changed the motor mounts, had a computer diagnostic check done, and found nothing!!! but my car shakes in drive or reverse at a still like if it were to stall really bad. and it gets worse when turning the air on... please help...
    Without seeing the rig this is a shot in the dark from a psuedo BYM.

1) harmonic engine balancer- my Tercel went bad on me, caused roughness at idle.
    2) Clean your thottle body, it may have carbon build up around the butterfly valve not enough air getting by to maintain a smooth idle. A toothbrush and some throttle body cleaner should do the trick.
    3) if you haven't already, take it to a Suzuki dealer. :confuse:
    You have a point, so I did some checking. Could not for the love of God or money could I find the dimensions for a 2003 Suzuki XL7 brake rotor. The 2003 Chev is 11.3" dia by .67" thickness with a 2987lb curbweight. The 2003 Suzuki XL7 curb weight ranged from 3582 to 3781 for 4x4 with auto. One article even stated a curb weight of 3825. Now that's a 500+ to 800+lb difference, plus think of all the stuff you can load into a XL7 compared to a Tracker or GV and tow 1500lbs more than a Tracker or GV. You may be able to stuff more rotor behind a 16" rim than the 15" on my rig, but not enough to accomodate that much more weight and towing capacity. Plus the XL7 was recalled for rotor breaking apart if applied for any great length of time travelling down hill. Which makes me suspect their running close to the same if not the same rotors as us.
    If anyone can find the dimensions for a 2003 XL7 rotor please submit them. :confuse:
    would you happen to know what it would cost for replacing this and is it worth replacing.. i have a 99 tracker with 87k miles...

i did clean the throttle body it was done when i had the partial tune up..

lastly why a Suzuki dealer??

and thank you very much for replying...
  • tracker52tracker52 Member Posts: 1
    I am the new owner of a 2002 2WD chevy tracker with 68,000 miles on the V-6 motor. I drove it to work a few days and noticed a bad oil leak. Is this common on this motor or what might cause it. I have no history on the vehicle pryor to me owning it. It does run good and didn't notice any thing unusual.
    All Chevrolet Trackers are rebadged Suzuki Grand Vitara's. They were built on the same assembly line in Ingersoll Ontario Canada at the CAMI plant. If you look carefully you will spot Suzuki written on parts like the air filter housing or other cosmetic parts. Most of the parts electrical and others are Denso parts, if the parts are from Japan they will be labelled Nippon Denso.

The entire truck was designed in Japan, it is the reason why the rear door opens opposite to Jeep rear doors. The Japanese drive on the other side of the road so when they park on the street they don't have to walk around the rear door when loading. You will understand if you try and do an oil change on a 2.5L V-6 and you have to try and squeeze the oil filter between the steering column and cross members, all the time cursing Suzuki for not putting the oil filter on the other side of the motor where's there tons of room. On Japanese trucks there is tons of room.
    I am not sure how much of the North American truck is made in Japan, the powertrain, engines, tranny, axles most definately are Japanese made and assembled. The only relation, the Suzuki XL7 which is a longer version of the GV and Tracker, is totally Japanese, being assembled in Hamamatsu Japan.The 2007 XL7 is a GM design based on the Torrent however the engines are a Suzuki assembled GM design. I am looking for a 2004 to 2006 XL7 five passenger not the seven passenger 5sp auto right now to compliment my Tracker.

As for taking your rig to a Suzuki dealer verses Chev is simple. They know your truck back to front and sideways, it's all they know, other than the Suzuki cars. They will know it quirks and quarks and the cheapest way to fix it as the Suzuki parts tend to be cheaper than at Chevrolet.I only take my truck into Suzuki as I trust them to fix it right the first time. Chev dealers don't like seeing these trucks come in as they usually don't have the parts to fix them and they also last so long.
    As for the balancer I haven't got a clue and wouldn't want to render a guess.

I hope I have been a little help to explain your truck. They are awesome trucks and with routine maintainance will last a long time. Goodluck :)
    thanks for the reply, i did see some Suzuki badging in the tracker, and i do know its the sister car or copy is the vitara. i didn't know it would be cheaper to bring the car to a Suzuki, i will take you up on that advice next time around... i decided to fix the problem it makes sense what you said after reading up on what you said it might have been... other than the very ruff idling the car while moving is really good and runs good..
    well 400 dollars later and a new harmonic engine balancer did not work... I'm taking it to the Suzuki dealer but after doing a tune up, motor mounts and harmonic balancer to fix this problem, I'm kinda broke for a little while... so any other ideas what it might be please share... or should i just deal with the shaking.
    Like I said, it was a total shot in the dark, since you said you had it tuned up and scanned for codes and it's all clear, I'm out of suggestions. Just take the rig to Suzuki, they could at least tell you what's wrong if it is expensive you maybe able to fix it later but it could be something so little and cheap. I am sorry about the balancer not being the culprit, but I was hoping you would take it to Suzuki as I made a pretty strong case for them. :sick:
  • steveh1155steveh1155 Member Posts: 6
    Sounds like maybe 1 cylinder has reduced power output for whatever reason - valve not seating or maybe weak coil pack for that cylinder. Had an older car that had those same symptoms - engine would "shake at idle" but would smooth out when accelerating and it was just a valve not seating which reduced the compression on that cylinder, all 4 cylinders need to make the same amount of power (among other things) to get a smooth idle. Good luck.
    i don't think its a weak coil, they were checked. plus the engine doesn't sound like its misfiring. but one never knows, right now my funds are dried up to even think about it. but i will take it to the Suzuki for service next time.
  • luisferluisfer Member Posts: 6
    When i drove my tracker, somehow starts nice in the morning , then when it's hot, the engine stop working properly, and shut down. please i need help whit this problem. tanx.
  • stevertnstevertn Member Posts: 4
    Had the same problem. It was camshaft position sensor. It located at the rear of the valve cover. A real pain to get it off with a torx bolt you can't even see. This is the hot engine failure problem discussed elsewhere on this forum. I bought a cheap one at advance and it didn't help. I returned it and got a mitsubishi unit at autozone, they matched the advance price, and have had no trouble for 2 years now. The dealer part was outrageous.
    just to update.. after installing the harmonic balancer and actually running it for a little while the shaking has gotten better enough so where i can actually deal with it and if it does get a bit annoying at times i just throw it in neutral and poof no shaking... didnt fix the problem there is something more behind it but its definitely better.
    Hi, tanx for the help, have some questions, where exactly is this sensor, i went to chek out the rear of the valve cover and i saw 2 sensors, one at the top and one at the bottom, so ...wich of those 2 it's?. i chek out the autozone page and i find a camshaft position sensor, the price was $70 , but it wasn't mitsubishi, the brand was duralast, do you tink i't will work similar as yours? tanx for all , and i'll wait for your answer.
  • rksynanrksynan Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2000 Tracker 2.0. I found the solution by searching forums and purchased a cam position sensor at AdvanceAutoParts. Someone else said this part did not solve their problem and they had to get the Mitsubishi sensor instead...ugh!

The main problem I have now is that I cannot get the blasted bolt out! I checked with a mirror and it looked like a Torx head to me but the T-30 was too small and a T-40 is too big. Which size did you use? Do you turn it counter-clockwise like most bolts to loosen?

Thanks for saving my sanity!!
  • stevertnstevertn Member Posts: 4
    There is a round metal box with a sensor inserted into the side. You change the whole assembly. The part is pictured on the web site. I bought a duralast and it would not work. I think I got the story reversed and it was Advance that sold me the mitsubishi for $70 under their price match program. I just took a print out from the web site for the $70 part. It was about 2 years ago. Sorry for the confusion. After 2 years it is still running fine. To test it out before you buy, wait until the engine is hot and won't start. Pour a large glass of water over the sensor assembly to cool it off and it should start up immediately.
    i bougth the mitsubishi sensor already, but i'ts not installed... i went to the suzuki and they sold me jus the sensor for about $65 , hopefuly i't will work correctly. Tanx for the help ...
  • gotdustgotdust Member Posts: 3
    could someone give me the low down on changing front struts on 02 tracker 4x4 with 6 cyl auto they do not have coils or nothing just kinda look like shocks
  • george114george114 Member Posts: 10
    If the Tracker is a 4X4 the answer is yes. Put the transfer case in "N" for natural. Put the transmission in park, release the brakes and using a spare ignition key leave the key in the ignition key lock in the OFF position so that the steering is not locked. Make sure that all accessarys are turned OFF (radio, blower, etc. just incase the key gets turned on). The towing equipment can be purchased at Camping World. I have been towing my Chevy Tracker 4X4 for seven years and it tows great.
  • wintertrackerwintertracker Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, I am looking to purchase a 02 or 03 manual 4cyl tracker with about 120 to 140KM. I would be using it for winter driving only and storing it the rest of the year. I would probably only be putting 8000KM a year, mostly city driving. Hoping for worry-free use for about 4 winter seasons. Looking for opinions, is it a good vehicle for winter driving? How does it handle in 2wd when its snowy or slippery? (ie. do you have to always have it in 4x4?) Is it reliable? Any major issues I should look into before purchasing? Is it difficult to find parts since it has been discontinued? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • george114george114 Member Posts: 10
    The Chevy Tracker is a great small SUV. I have a 1999 4X4 two door convertible with the 2L engine and automatic transmission. I was up in the Toledo, OH area several years ago and had to drive in the snow. The Tracker handled poorly in the two wheel drive mode because of the Uniroyal tires that came with the Tracker and the light weight of the vehicle. I tried adding weight to the back of the Tracker but that did not help much. I then tried the 4X4 mode in the snow and then the Tracker handled good. I now have Michlen all terrain tires on the Tracker and it handles better then the Uniroyal tires did. I use my Tracker all year long. I travel over 100 miles a day for work at present and have about 134,000 miles on it. The Tracker is reliable and parts should not be a problem. Also remember that the engine is a Suzuki. You can bring it to a Suzuki dealer if your prefer to instead of a Chevy dealer. The Tracker is a Suzuki that was manufactured in Canada. Hope this helps answer your question.
    I have owned (2) trackers to far. 1999-2door (2litre) and a 2004-4door (2.5litre) and Both are completely amazing in snow "with the right tires". Now as far as driving in snow in 2-wheel drive... It is not good in 2x4. When it is in 2 wheel drive it is in REAR wheel drive. I think the 2 door is better in rear wheel drive than the 4door model as the weight in the 4 door model isnt as centered. But when you put anyone of them trackers in 4x4, its like putting it in TANK MODE.... in each of my trackers i have gone out when there was a State of Emergency and they said no one should be out on the roads due to snow... Now you also ask about reliablity. alot of the 1999 up to i believe 2002 or 2003 had A/C issues. and alot of 2.5 litre v6 engines from 1999 to 2002 had timing chain issues i believe.. Other than them two things both of my trackers were great. i still have the 2004 model now, I rarely use it in the summer time as thats when i ride my motorcycle (fun and 46mpg!)
  • rengelkenrengelken Member Posts: 10
    I purchased my 2004 Chevy Tracker in January 2007 following the historic blizzards that struck eastern Colorado in December 2006. I've never regretted it, especially in the winter snows. I put a set of Michelin XCX/APT tires on the car, along with the spare, and it handles very well in the best mother nature can throw at it.

I use 4x4 when the snow is sticking to the roadways. If it is wet and snowing, 2x4 works just fine. I've used 4x4 up to 60 mph, though more often than not you will be traveling much slower than that.

The A/C works quite well in my 2004, and thus far no timing chain issues either. The only time I had trouble was when the 4x4 place forgot to tighten the negative cable at the battery post.

I've also been slowly fixing some of the interior imperfections, mostly due it seems to the previous owner transporting baby carriers in the back seats and other items in the trunk that gouged or damaged some of the trim. I've been able to find all the parts I need online. I've also had the whole car serviced up to manufacturer suggestions, again with no problem. I took it last to a place specializing in 4x4 vehicles, and at 66,000 miles it runs very well. I have not been dissapointed.

By the way, the lifetime MPG (well since I bought it with 40,273 miles) is 24, not too bad for a SUV. My other car is a 2007 Civic Hybrid, which, at 50 MPG is my drive to and from work car. The Tracker does weekend duty except in Winter.

Roger.
  • wintertrackerwintertracker Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information guys!