Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota on the mend?

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >Sorry, de-caf for me from now on. :blush: :shades:

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    edited September 2010
    Hmm, there are 2 guys walking towards me in white lab coats.

Is that a Toyota logo on the pocket?

Hey, wait a sec, WAAAAAAAAiiit.......
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    Sure the 3rd row increases the trade in value by $400, but it cost $900 more when new.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    > decaf

Maybe we could add that all that caffeine caused your brain to undergo
    Sudden Unintended Acceleration... ;)

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Oh, and if you include 2011, Toyota has FIVE models flying off the lots.

You didn't happen ta mean my little pet 2012 Toyota Celica, did you? :shades:

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

one thing missing from the picture is how many of each total are out there.
    Maybe the the 2010 Camry's are 50 purple ones with green interiors.
    The Toyota 'fast movers' are not high volume models, the Highlander heading up that pack.
  • delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    LFA's sell for 375-400k and they are already sold out !!! :P
    They're easier to sell with 3 rows. Plus if you have 2 kids and you car pool kids around, like we do, you need it, even for short jaunts.

Any how, going back to the fact that you don't think the Highlander was changed much - it didn't need to be changed much.

Did you notice the 2010s are on the short-supply list?

Why mess with success?

Like I said, the Edge indeed improved more, but there was more room for improvement.
    Highlander may not be high volume, but it's not a slow seller by a long shot. They sell about 7-8,000 per month. And given supply is short, they could be doing better if they had produced more Highlanders and fewer Camrys.

The Tundra sells about 9000 per month, 4Runner close to 4000.

Toyota just needs to shuffle the production mix. It's hard to predict the future, and right now gas prices are low, so SUVs are selling more than anyone expected. The short-supply list is dominated by them.

Hybrids are a tougher sell when gas is $2.50 a gallon. Doomsday forecasts called for $4/gallon gas even long-term, so it looks like just about all manufacturers got the production mix incorrect.

Oddly, and indirectly, it's Isuzu's fault.

Huh?

Isuzu?

Yep.

SIA used to be Subaru-Isuzu Automotive, and they produced the Rodeo on one assembly line, Subarus on the other. At one point the Rodeo was the best-selling import SUV, doing tons of volume and keeping that assembly line quite busy.

When Isuzu tanked, Subaru took over both assembly lines, building the Tribeca where the Rodeo used to be made. They changed the name to Subaru Indiana Automotive, still SIA.

The Tribeca was too small and controversially styled to do any volume, so when Toyota purchased part of Subaru, they filled the gap by moving...you guessed it...Camry production to SIA's 2nd assembly line.

So now they have too many Camrys.

This is why NA production is up so high.

Irony of all ironies, the Outback is in short supply. Sales of the hot 2010 redesign were up more than 100% compared to its predecessor, and they only caught up recently.

Toyota/Subaru need to decide what to build there, something with sustainable sales. Perhaps move the next Forester there, currently it's built in Gunma, Japan, and you saw the 30 day or so supply of Foresters is way, way short.

The article missed the big picture entirely. It was a very poor analysis.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Toyota and Hyundai appear to have a new member in the "steering" club...

Looks like all the manufacturers are wanting a piece of the action...

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/daily-news/100929-NHTSA-Investi- gates-MINI-Steering-Complaints/
    This is my favorite part:

The Detroit News is quick to point out ...

Gotta root for the home team! LOL
    the 3rd row in the Highlander is pretty much useless. My kid couldn't fit in it when they were 10 years old. A car seat would work, but that is a big hassle.
    I should have left the Highlander off the low volume list. I really meant the other 3.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    By strange coincidence VW has joined another of Toyota's committees on the same day as Mini: it lost its class action lawsuit over half a million sludged 1.8T engines, and has to pay for replacements even on some very old cars at this point. This affected most of the really fun VWs as well as the Audi A4s from the late 90s through mid-decade of the 00's.

VW actually did worse on its sludge lawsuit than Toyota did, because VW was also found to be guilty of not honoring its extended warranty for sludge once it realized there was a problem and offered the warranty extension.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

edited September 2010
    To be fair we should look a two things - volume and profit margin.

The 5 models on the hot sellers list are actually profitable. Volume isn't high, but it's not really low, either, call it medium. They sell a bunch of 4Runners and Tundras, and at much higher price levels than the cheaper low-margin Scions.

The models on the slow sellers include one high volume car (Camry), but all the rest are very low volume (Camry hybrid, xA, xD). Plus none of them are very profitable given the prices are mostly under $20 except the hybrid, which is expensive to produce and probably also carries a small margin (if not a loss).

So they're selling lots of more profitable cars (trucks, I should say).

The only problem spot is the Camry, and like I said above, a simple shift of production can solve that problem.

Wanna bet profits climb?
    To be honest I didn't know that they weren't already for sale there:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/29/scion-officially-opens-its-doors-for-business- -in-canada/

Interstingly, this could be why they ramped up supply on the xD and xB models. Then again maybe not - isn't the speedo in KM/H?
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    I had thought some models were sold there a while ago...maybe private imports.

That new tC is quite ugly in my eyes, I see Toyota's new design "theme", an upkick near the C-pillar. Yuck.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Toyota managed to screw up the looks of the xB, now the tC. Maybe they are trying to phase out the Scion as they don't sell all that well in the US. The old tC was the best looking vehicle in the ToyLexIon lineup. I would not want one anyway. Too low for our road conditions in CA.... I am glad to see the 4Runner doing well. That was thought to be on the way out. The much needed BOF is still the best for many applications.
    edited September 2010
    ever buy a V-Dub-L-You.

VW actually did worse on its sludge lawsuit than Toyota did, because VW was also found to be guilty of not honoring its extended warranty for sludge once it realized there was a problem and offered the warranty extension.

This ultimately means Toyota cares more about me than V-Dub-L-You. And immediately directs my thoughts back to that beautiful 2012 Toyota FT-86.

2012 Toyota Celica...uhh...umm...I mean FT-86

gagrice-why do you guys in SD need such high clearance, anyway? M I missing something important about the geography of beautiful SD?

Bob Baker blames electronics in Saylor crash
    Longtime San Diego automotive icon rejects floor mat theory

The loaner car that Saylor drove helped spark international concern about sudden acceleration in Toyota vehicles. It came from Bob Baker Lexus of El Cajon.

In his first extended interview since the August 2009 accident, Baker expressed anguish about the deaths and frustration with Toyota executives. He is convinced the crash primarily was caused by faulty electronics in the Toyota-manufactured sedan, not an ill-fitting floor mat, as some argue.
    Our freeways are ok. It is all the surface streets get little or no maintenance. The state and county waste the money on everything else including stupid football and baseball stadiums. Which Toyota is gracious enough to make vehicles to handle our crummy roads. The other thing I have against low slung cars is getting out of them. When you get a bit older you may find out about aching backs. I hate driving my wife's Lexus as it is a pain to get out of. SUVs and PU trucks are the only way to go.
    But we all know the toyotaphiles have closed the case. No real UIA; just floor mat issues. No electronics problems, unless you count the accelerator pedals that stick?

More:. Heartless! Electronics problem.

"Baker contends that Toyota settled in hopes of ending the public relations nightmare caused by the crash and avoiding what he sees as the root cause of the tragedy — an electronics problem with the vehicle.

He said the world’s largest automaker has handled the tragedy in a “heartless” fashion. Such is the hierarchical nature of a giant corporation and Japanese society, he added.

“The manufacturer’s top people are only concerned about their promotions, their income, their retirement,” Baker said. “I own my own companies and I have a heart.”

http://www.sduniontribune.com/news/2010/sep/29/bob-baker-toyotas-product-defects- -caused-fatal-lex/

edited September 2010
    I thought this one was already put ta bed. That it was definitely a floor mat issue with the rental Lexus from Bob Baker Lexus of San Diego. I mean, didn't the experts already come to the conclusion that it was floor mats at fault in the out-of-control Lexus sedan driven by the off-duty CHP Officer?

BTW-where in the world is sharonkl lately? She is the "Diane Sawyer" on this particular thread, isn't she?

Honestly, I don't fret over buying a 2012 Toyota FT-86 because I would buy the 6-speed manual version of the car. All I would need ta do with a stick is put the car in to neutral, put my signal on, and pull over to the side of the road. All the while letting up on the accelerator pedal little by little. The FT-86 will reportedly weigh about 2,700 lbs. Light but not that light. She'll gently come to a stop on the side of the road.

This SUA problem is all about the automatic tranny, right? I mean think about car mechanicals for a second and get back to me on that. The 6-speed won't be affected by this Toyota SUA deal. Notice I capitalized the "T" in Toyota. Oh well, it's all for naught if they don't like our credit card debt, anyway. The debt is a result of moving all over in the medical field as I learn my trade. Things are going great here in NE Nevada. And I'm planning on staying here in NE Nevada, anyway. It's a great place ta live. At Dale White Motors in Elko, NV, I'll give them a nice, big, friendly glad-handing smile and see if they'll play on that day I go in and test-drive in Nov. of 2011.

And if it doesn't work out, well then...ahh...I'll be stuck with the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. Such an unhappy world. :shades:

This is a great Japanese car, car nuts

edited September 2010
    This is her...the 2012 Toyota FR-S

In 3-D form, not of my own creation but floating out and abou-woot on the net. Beautiful new coupe/soon-ta-be sedan from Toyota due out in November of 2011. Bring this baby!

Not bad even in grey

Or in blue

• ben66ben66 Member Posts: 243
    Like I said, it does not make sense at all that an automaker with such HUGE numbers of recalls like toyota (more than TEN MILLION !!), STILL gets awarded high rankings in those jd power studies. I can never understand why other manufacturers like Nissan whose number of recalls are far FEWER, bearing in mind that their market share and sales volume is not small either.

Because of this clear indication that toyota may have bribed jd power for sometime, they way they have bribed people to delay recalls, to minimize recalls, I have never taken those jd power rankings seriously. Now pls read this folks, this time toyota gets caught doing bribery stuff overseas :

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/09/21/ap/business/main6886339.shtml

And pls don't say its because recently relations between China and Japan are not too good. The fact is, Honda, Nissan, Suzuki and the other Japanese brands are never caught bribing.

More abt this :

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Asia/Story/STIStory_581091.html
  • ben66ben66 Member Posts: 243
    Folks, this is a very interesting article, but when I tried to read it, it appears that the article has been taken down from the internet.

The title is " Toyota recall spurs questions on auto ratings
    Consumers might need to adjust their expectations, safety experts say "

Wonder why ? toyota at play again ?

Can someone recover this article ?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35268132/ns/business-washington_post/
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Not sure why you posted this as a reply to my post, which was about credit issues - not about Toyota quality control.

Next time, start a new topic.
    The text is missing on the video page, but if you click on transcript of the video below the video, you get this:

Closed captioning of: Toyota aims to repair relationshipsAdvertisement | ad info
    >>> toyota is now investigating possible brake problems on lexus hybrids after thursday's admission that there were problems on its 2010 prius models. this as toyota 's chief executive addresses the media for the first time. cnbc's phil lebeau covers the car industry and has certainly been covering this story for us. phil , good morning, again.

>> reporter: good morning, matt. and as we speak right now, okio toyota , the chairman and ceo of toyota , is holding a press conference in japan, talking about the recalls that are taking place, this on a morning when an official with the japanese government says toyota has a mistaken view of the prius brake problem. he says the company does not see it as a major issue, even as toyota says repeatedly it is moving quickly to deal with prius brakes that are slow to work. toyota 's latest problem, the prius , its best-selling gas- electric hybrid . the prius is considered toyota 's gold standard and a badge of conspicuous conservation for its proud owners.

>> there's a lot of consumers out there that are really nervous about driving their toyota products.

>> reporter: last november, less than a month after buying her 2010 prius , "today" west coast contributor maria menounos told police her brakes failed after an accident.

>> i just felt like the brakes didn't work.

>> reporter: federal investigators are looking into more than 100 consumer complaints about the brakes in the 2010 prius .

>> it's going to really hurt toyota , definitely in the short term.

>> reporter: toyota says it's looking into what may cause the brakes to pause before slowing down, adding, "we're making every effort to address this situation for our customers as quickly as possible." yet another setback for the world's number one automaker, already under the microscope for two massive recalls to address unintended acceleration. but as dealers around the country began the monumental task of fixing potentially faulty gas pedals --

>> basically is this area right here.

>> reporter: -- they're also faced with repairing relationships with millions of loyal customers.

>> i just want it fixed. i want to go on driving my car and be happy and safe.

>> reporter: as toyota looks into the issue of what's wrong with prius brakes, the big fix begins at dealerships across the country. toyota dealers are going to have to take weeks to fix millions of sticky gas pedals. remember, there's 2.3 million vehicles that have been recalled. matt?

>> all right, phil lebeau on this story for us in illinois this morning. phil , thanks very much.

edited October 2010
    I see Toyota's new design "theme", an upkick near the C-pillar. Yuck.

You're impressively consistent with your disdain for all Asian designs, I'll give you credit. Have you ever liked a car from Asia?

Lexus may actually be setting trends. The LF-A turns heads, and I've seen a couple of concepts from Europe that without a doubt ape a few features of that Lexus.

Here's a good example:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/30/lotus-elise-concept-paris-2010/

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Check out that Lotus' C-pillar, it's a dead ringer for the LF-A. Hidden intake, C-pillar extends away from and in front of the window.

We've come full circle - now European designs are copying Japan, Inc.
    Of course it is very much in Bob Baker's best interests to make accusations such as these, because his dealership is on the line for millions of $$ in wrongful death liability if it was really the floor mats that caused the crash.

So a source with more than a little bias, is all I'm saying. I tend to think that there must be some problem with the e-throttles in some of the UA incidents that have occurred in Toyotas. But I'm ready to accept the official verdict on the Saylor crash too, that floor mats were to blame.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

edited October 2010
    >So a source with more than a little bias,

Soooooo, the toyota version that it's all rugs and sticky throttle pedals (built by someone else but for them) is unbiased?

Or how about toyota quick-signing a deal that keeps the information hush hush and leaves Baker in the lurch? Is toyota covering up something by not making the agreement and money public? After all, if it's only the rug, that's already well known public information, isn't it. Hmmmmm, wonder what else the unbiased :P toyota company is keeping secret under the pen?

edited October 2010
    Baker is playing the sympathy card, of course.

Remember, the family settled with Toyota, but their law suit agains the dealer (Baker) is still very much alive.

Baker is playing nice guy to avoid a huge settlement - becuase it IS his dealership's fault, and he is FAR more liable than Toyota. He hires and trains the idiots who put the floor mat from the wrong model (oops).

Remember, it was his dealer that had the wrong mat in the car. Of course he's going to say it wasn't the floor mat - that would mean he's not liable. Duh.

C'mon, guys, where is your skepticism now?

Fact: the wrong mat was in that Lexus, per NHTSA.

Fact: Bernard drove the same exact car, and said the mat jammed the pedal.

Some want to believe that Toyota paid off NHTSA. And Bernard. And Sikes. And Consumer Reports. Oh, and now even JD Power and Associates! Why stop there? May as well toss in consistently good results from TrueDelta, Strategic Vision, got any more?

Amazing how they're able to pay off EVERYONE and yet their profits are way up.

Cracks me up.
    Or how about toyota quick-signing a deal that keeps the information hush hush and leaves Baker in the lurch?

What do you mean Quick?

It took months.

Toyota settled because the design of the Lexus' floor pedal was not fault-tolerant.

That's not the same as being at fault.

The fault belongs to the dealership, who hired and trained staff stupid enough to use the wrong floor mat, which had jammed before and STILL was not removed.

Baker will owe the Saylor family MILLIONS. And they are guilty as sin.

To play the sympathy card now is shameful.
    edited October 2010
    “heartless”

Duh, it's a for-profit corporation, just like the one you own.

“I own my own companies and I have a heart.”

Gimme a break. He's a rich dealership owner, he loves money, not his customers.

Not enough to admit his staff installed the wrong mat, which is undisputed fact.

C'mon, skeptics, were are you now?

Rich Jerk Owns Big Dealership
    Makes a HUGE Mistake with Bernard
    Repeats the SAME huge mistake which kills 4
    Liability is 99% His
    Points Finger Elsewhere

Do any of you even think he should share ANY of the blame?

He blames Toyota now, so all of you let him off the hook totally? Shame on you...
    edited October 2010
    There aren't any Asian cars on the market right now that I can think of that I would call all-around nice designs. The design language which gives cars cartoon faces or hilariously pseudo-aggressive leering eyes doesn't warm my heart. The Scion upkick is just lame - reminds me of the hideous looking new style Lexus GX and the equally ugly new Infiniti too. There have been a few Asian make designs that I have liked, but nothing out there right now makes me want to own one.

Imitation these days is the sincerest form of sycophantic designers, all cast from the same mould, who do not know how to think. All coming from identical schools with identical instructors. Copying a design isn't necessarily a factor of said design being good - especially these days, it is a symptom of what passes for the design industry, groupthink and plagiarism - someone breaks out with some different for the sake of different design cues, and others copy it (see Bangle). I also don't know if I can say Lotus is representative of the European auto industry.
    edited October 2010
    Well, FWIW, the europeans are picking up some of those same styling cues.

I'm not a fan of the LED trend, every headlight now seems to have sequins, unnecessary flash. Volvo pioneered LED brake lights for safety (they light up more quickly, fractionally), but now they've become the new tail fin.

Perhaps we will both end up with French cars, LOL.
    edited October 2010
    I don't see the Europeans going for all-out Asian cartoonery or blandness (funny how those co-exist, an industry geographic area with polar opposites in design). There's no subtle middle ground...you either get a gormless looking smiling Mazda 3 or the cure for insomnia red Corolla in the banner ad beside this post.

I think the LED fad must be related to some kind of Euro safety crap about cars being visible. And it's a cheap tack-on to make a car appear cool to the masses - easy for makers to add. They really are going to be the new tailfin - but maybe not as cool in another 50 years. I've been waiting for conversion kits so people can add a strip to their old car under the bumper etc, haven't noticed them yet.

I remember Caddy adopting rear LEDs on the DTS quite early. Audi sure hit a home run with the front trend...too bad one will dopily turn off when the signal is on, looks bad.

The French....they copy nobody, gotta give them that. And nobody copies them.

Speaking of Toyota, the seats in that mockup posted earlier are insane, people are going to be let down if they expect that in production.
    Pure concept fantasy, I agree.

What you call "Asian cartooonery" is something the younger generations may find appealing.

Remember, those folks grew up on a steady diet of Anime and lots of Japanese programming. Pokemon, Digimon, etc.

I don't the appeal, but I have a half brother and half sister, both in their 20s, and they collect stuff like that. Perhaps to them, raised watching Asian cartoons, literally, this stuff is attractive.

I don't mind that too much, unless it's blatantly overdone. What's that style called, popular in Tokyo, where they have plywood-sheet-sized spoilers and such?
    edited October 2010
    Toyota settled because the design of the Lexus' floor pedal was not fault-tolerant.

That's not the same as being at fault.

The fault belongs to the dealership, who hired and trained staff stupid enough to use the wrong floor mat, which had jammed before and STILL was not removed.

Baker will owe the Saylor family MILLIONS. And they are guilty as sin.

To play the sympathy card now is shameful.

I completely agree with you. Bob Baker Lexus is guilty as all hell and they will pay for it.

I guarantee it!

I am now a fan of the 2012 Toyota FT-86, not as much as their other stock, but if Toyota wins me over, I will be a very, very loyal supporter of theirs.

I have come to understand that this SUA is all a scam and a smock for people's worldwide money problems. The dork who tried that failed brake thing in his Prius was flat-out lying to everyone, including himself.

I will be a kid in the candy shop on the net until Dale White Motors of Elko, NV, gets the red 2012 Toyota Celica...uuuhhh....I mean FT-86...I mean FR-S in stock and I can get my Adidas down on that accelerator pedal and move out on Lamoille Highway towards NNRH and up towards Spring Creek here in beautiful, wide open northeastern Nevada.

Watch out for those Bob Barker floor mats

Buy me and then please flog me silly

This interior and car changes everything...at least for me

Get your motor runnin', head out on the highway!

Leering and a lurking...for me...all for me...it's us...who really benefit!

But don't a lot of those younger people have no real desire to become motorists at all? Not to mention it's not a universal appeal...plenty of young people aren't into that kind of thing, especially once they finish school and become consumed by jobs and/or family. It seems like a risky reason to venture into the realm of goofy styling, maybe turning off more than you'll attract.

I think the overdone custom stuff (called Bosozoku) is made as a reaction and parody to the played-out rice rocket craze (which has now kind of run its course, and I am not complaining). They also do it to motorcycles...IMO it can be pretty funny
    Watch out for those Bob Barker floor mats

LOL!

Love your sense of humor, please stick around...

Barker Lexus is also running a special on lumber, it's called "Square Peg in Round Hole":

This play set is wonderful for your kids to play with and can be all yours and HALF PRICE!

Act now! Call 800-GULLIBL or see Bob Barker Lexus!
    I think the ones that aren't buying cars at all are one generation younger than that, i.e. turning 16 now. My siblings are in their 20s, Gen Y, I guess.

Bosozoku, thank you, yes, like this lovely van:

edited October 2010
    that the best cars are definitely Japanese cars. The German cars cost too much and are sorely lacking in energy and inertia.

Mitsubishi and now my new favorite Toyota are making exciting cars (with Toyota it is really just the 2012 Celica that is exciting, caught myself there!) that are also well-built. Mitsubishi's come with a great Warranty, though, Toyota's don't. You really get the best value for your new car money buying a Japanese car. I'm talking cars, here, not pick-em-up trucks.

Hey, Toyota, if you're not gonna Warranty my 2012 Toyota Celica nice like Hyundai, Kia and Mitsubishi do, please build my Celica totally correct the first time. That's all I ask. I have a hometown dealer in Dale White Motors. I'll be watching my Celica's performance like a hawk the first year or two and I'll take that pup back in for anything that is not up-to-snuff.

Kind of like that guy in the commercial that drove his Model-T in to Midas to continue getting his "if anything ever happens to your brakes bring your car back in and we'll take care of it for free".

I work only a half mile up the hill from the dealer...I will make them keep my Celica running optimally. Trust me. But I don't suspect I will have to worry about anything with this new Toyota. It'll drive and perform like an absolute champ for me. It's all about me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me.

The funny thing is that what got me to consider Japanese cars was the fact that they were still offered with manual transmissions.

That's less true today - you can't get a RAV4 or CR-V with a manual.

At least Subaru still has one in the Forester, but even then not the turbo model.

Some Jeeps offer manuals, but I didn't really want a truck. I don't think the Equinox comes with one. The Escape might but I think they're bare-bones models.

Mitsu Outlander does not, but I think the Suzuki Grand Vitara and Hyundai's Tucson do.

Any how, automatics are so much better today that you have to wonder if some of these kids starting to drive now will ever even SEE a manual trans, much less own one.
    :cry:

Friend who I helped pick a Fiesta had a total transmission failure - at 320 miles!

I hope they give her a replacement car.

Ford has made huge strides, and I felt comfortable enough to recommend it, now this. :sick:
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    that the best cars are definitely Japanese cars. The German cars cost too much and are sorely lacking in energy and inertia.

Remove your hat & sing these words with gusto:

Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
    Über alles in der Welt

I happen to be a big Honda fan, having bought my 1st one, a Civic, back in '74. Along the way, my wife & I have also owned Nissan & Toyota/Lexus, so I know a thing or six about Japanese cars. But nothing puts a smile on my face like my BMW 330i.

How much time have you spent behind the wheel of German cars? (I've read enough of your posts to know that when you do fall in love with a German car, you'll fall hard, & you'll become the biggest German fanboy in a 6 state area.)
    ford is trying to make you look bad. winky emotorcon.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Cracks me up.

I share that opinion.

It never ceases to amaze me how some folks fall so hard for a story-line and are unable to back away far enough to take a truly objective look at the situation. Its one reason we are in such bad shape as a country, politically. Folks bite on a 15 second sound bite, form an opinion and burn it into their memory cells. Then, as Julius Caesar said...The die is cast!

Some things never change...
    edited October 2010
    I must freak you out then! I mean, I hope you didn't get the impression I hated Toyota, I just wasn't sure about this out of control SA thing. But now I have come around and indeed taken a step back and realized that it was basically a way to try and tap illegally in to Toyota's massive wealth. Glad they're watching out for their interests carefully with this stuff...they make a lot of rigs and things always go wrong with every carmaker's cars. So they've got to be pretty conservative with the R&D mad money to keep on paying out for recalls, TSB's, etc.

Funny, I am benefiting from Mr. Toyoda's love of racing here and I love it. Oh, dudes, BTW-Toyota will surprise some of you diehards who don't think they'll offer the base 6-speed '12 Celica for only $20,000. You can pretty much bank on that price. How many 18 and 19 and 20 y/o's do you know that can afford a car that costs much more than $20,000? When they're also trying ta save for college and other things a young man wants. And needs. Shot down in flames, eh, Bon? :shades: Love that AC/DC Highway To Hell album.

You see, this car is gonna be an absolute ball to drive, I think it may be the biggest bargain in new cars ever made. Well, you've got to have the aptitude for sports cars before you'll be even remotely interested, as a precursor to my thought. But I have read up exhaustively on this car, much like I did on my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS.

Mr. Toyoda is going to see personally to it that the 2012 Toyota Celica will be well-built and fun to drive. And $20,000.

I guarantee it!

Lord, have mercy

I have personally shut out all other carmakers now besides Mitsu and Toyota. :shades:

German cars bite. Say it with certainty. Just kidding, jimbres. Hey, you may be right. Once I get behind the wheel of a BMW or Audi that might be all she wrote. I respect that view of yours and actually I respect BMW and Audi over there, nothing else.

Since neither of you mentioned it I will just add that LED lights are going to become more and more common on cars because they (a) use a lot less energy and (b) last a lot longer than the normal bulbs cars use now in head and taillights.