Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota on the mend?

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Watch out for those Bob Barker floor mats

LOL!

Love your sense of humor, please stick around...

Barker Lexus is also running a special on lumber, it's called "Square Peg in Round Hole":

This play set is wonderful for your kids to play with and can be all yours and HALF PRICE!

Act now! Call 800-GULLIBL or see Bob Barker Lexus!
    I think the ones that aren't buying cars at all are one generation younger than that, i.e. turning 16 now. My siblings are in their 20s, Gen Y, I guess.

Bosozoku, thank you, yes, like this lovely van:

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,711
    edited October 2010
    that the best cars are definitely Japanese cars. The German cars cost too much and are sorely lacking in energy and inertia.

Mitsubishi and now my new favorite Toyota are making exciting cars (with Toyota it is really just the 2012 Celica that is exciting, caught myself there!) that are also well-built. Mitsubishi's come with a great Warranty, though, Toyota's don't. You really get the best value for your new car money buying a Japanese car. I'm talking cars, here, not pick-em-up trucks.

Hey, Toyota, if you're not gonna Warranty my 2012 Toyota Celica nice like Hyundai, Kia and Mitsubishi do, please build my Celica totally correct the first time. That's all I ask. I have a hometown dealer in Dale White Motors. I'll be watching my Celica's performance like a hawk the first year or two and I'll take that pup back in for anything that is not up-to-snuff.

Kind of like that guy in the commercial that drove his Model-T in to Midas to continue getting his "if anything ever happens to your brakes bring your car back in and we'll take care of it for free".

I work only a half mile up the hill from the dealer...I will make them keep my Celica running optimally. Trust me. But I don't suspect I will have to worry about anything with this new Toyota. It'll drive and perform like an absolute champ for me. It's all about me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

The funny thing is that what got me to consider Japanese cars was the fact that they were still offered with manual transmissions.

That's less true today - you can't get a RAV4 or CR-V with a manual.

At least Subaru still has one in the Forester, but even then not the turbo model.

Some Jeeps offer manuals, but I didn't really want a truck. I don't think the Equinox comes with one. The Escape might but I think they're bare-bones models.

Mitsu Outlander does not, but I think the Suzuki Grand Vitara and Hyundai's Tucson do.

Any how, automatics are so much better today that you have to wonder if some of these kids starting to drive now will ever even SEE a manual trans, much less own one.
    :cry:

Friend who I helped pick a Fiesta had a total transmission failure - at 320 miles!

I hope they give her a replacement car.

Ford has made huge strides, and I felt comfortable enough to recommend it, now this. :sick:
  • jimbresjimbres Posts: 2,025
    that the best cars are definitely Japanese cars. The German cars cost too much and are sorely lacking in energy and inertia.

Remove your hat & sing these words with gusto:

Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
    Über alles in der Welt

I happen to be a big Honda fan, having bought my 1st one, a Civic, back in '74. Along the way, my wife & I have also owned Nissan & Toyota/Lexus, so I know a thing or six about Japanese cars. But nothing puts a smile on my face like my BMW 330i.

How much time have you spent behind the wheel of German cars? (I've read enough of your posts to know that when you do fall in love with a German car, you'll fall hard, & you'll become the biggest German fanboy in a 6 state area.)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,830
    ford is trying to make you look bad. winky emotorcon.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    Cracks me up.

I share that opinion.

It never ceases to amaze me how some folks fall so hard for a story-line and are unable to back away far enough to take a truly objective look at the situation. Its one reason we are in such bad shape as a country, politically. Folks bite on a 15 second sound bite, form an opinion and burn it into their memory cells. Then, as Julius Caesar said...The die is cast!

Some things never change...
    edited October 2010
    I must freak you out then! I mean, I hope you didn't get the impression I hated Toyota, I just wasn't sure about this out of control SA thing. But now I have come around and indeed taken a step back and realized that it was basically a way to try and tap illegally in to Toyota's massive wealth. Glad they're watching out for their interests carefully with this stuff...they make a lot of rigs and things always go wrong with every carmaker's cars. So they've got to be pretty conservative with the R&D mad money to keep on paying out for recalls, TSB's, etc.

Funny, I am benefiting from Mr. Toyoda's love of racing here and I love it. Oh, dudes, BTW-Toyota will surprise some of you diehards who don't think they'll offer the base 6-speed '12 Celica for only $20,000. You can pretty much bank on that price. How many 18 and 19 and 20 y/o's do you know that can afford a car that costs much more than $20,000? When they're also trying ta save for college and other things a young man wants. And needs. Shot down in flames, eh, Bon? :shades: Love that AC/DC Highway To Hell album.

You see, this car is gonna be an absolute ball to drive, I think it may be the biggest bargain in new cars ever made. Well, you've got to have the aptitude for sports cars before you'll be even remotely interested, as a precursor to my thought. But I have read up exhaustively on this car, much like I did on my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS.

Mr. Toyoda is going to see personally to it that the 2012 Toyota Celica will be well-built and fun to drive. And $20,000.

I guarantee it!

Lord, have mercy

I have personally shut out all other carmakers now besides Mitsu and Toyota. :shades:

German cars bite. Say it with certainty. Just kidding, jimbres. Hey, you may be right. Once I get behind the wheel of a BMW or Audi that might be all she wrote. I respect that view of yours and actually I respect BMW and Audi over there, nothing else.

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    Since neither of you mentioned it I will just add that LED lights are going to become more and more common on cars because they (a) use a lot less energy and (b) last a lot longer than the normal bulbs cars use now in head and taillights.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,952
    Most 20 somethings I know, especially those who have cut the cord and are living on their own dime, don't seem too concerned with cars or anime culture. I think the older Gen Y non-driver set is in their 20s now. Should be a boon to Corolla and Elantra sales.

Those Japanese customizers are poking fun at a lame movement...more power to them. They do some weird things to relatively handsome 80s era JDM sedans too.
    I'll take the energy and inertia of my E55 over 99% of what comes out of Japan, thank you very much :shades:

Maybe Toyota should badge that thing a Celica...among enthusiasts the name might have a little value left.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,830
    Is the 'Dark side of the Moon' your favorite album?
    Seems like a good fit for you, to me. I like it too.
    Don't live it quite as much as you seem to.
    You might get that car for 20K plus your 5k down payment.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    In my mind there is no doubt that they will call this car a Celica, which is a good thing methinks. They never should have let the Celica name lapse in 2005. The tC was such a crap substitute.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

edited October 2010
    it's so hard to think in a different way about things isn't it, fellow car nuts? Toyota will name this car Celica, pretty sure about that, nippon, yes.

As for the 2012 Toyota Celica's price, well, let's just wait the 10 months or so from now to see that I'm right on that one, too. It will be for right around $20,995 for that base '12 Celica with 6-speed manual transmission. Some people just have ta learn by waiting, watching and seeing.

And believing baby.

Take me and drive me in a very insistent manner please

I'd be perfectly happy with my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, but this pup has be captivated. Beautiful design flow, absolutely gorgeous. And doesn't it just exude the very definition of sportiness?

Pop in Foghat's new CD 'Last Train Home' and rock to some real music for a change, America.

• Toyota on the mend?

Well they have launched a very well orchestrated smear campaign on Bob Baker Motors. The lemmings and sheep can recite the Toyota script by memory.

Too bad the dozens of customers Toyota has put in the graveyard won't be mending anytime soon.

But all hail Toyota! Live the lie! Until you die!
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,043
    I hope you don't go into deep depression when Toyota fails to live up to your expectations. They are on a downhill slide content wise. And a uphill pricing slope. If it is built here in the USA it will not go up as much as the vehicles built in Japan. Look at the price rise on the 2011 Avalon compared to 2010. $4500 increase. Do you think they can build the new whatever they call it and sell it here for $21k. Why would they if they can sell them for $33k in Japan and the EU. Toyota don't like US for what we have done to their reputation. If we were not the largest or used to be largest market they probably would have thumbed their noses and left the country. They hate the fact that the two largest auto markets are the US and China.

Better be saving your money. If you still like it a year from now they will extract your soul, and leave your wallet bare.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,267
    well orchestrated smear campaign

Toyota has settled with Saylor so there's not much reason to smear the dealer, unless they have some more stuff going on with the NHTSA.

Baker has reason to smear Toyota, probably hoping to sow some seeds of doubt in potential juror's minds if the case ever gets to trial.

In other words, I think it's just business as usual.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Baker has reason to smear Toyota, probably hoping to sow some seeds of doubt in potential juror's minds if the case ever gets to trial.

I am not a big Bob Baker fan. I do find it troubling that Toyota would dump on one of the first Lexus dealers in the USA. We also do not know for a fact that the wrong mat was marked properly from the manufacturer. And many of US would still like to know why Saylor did not or could not shift into neutral at high speed.

Then the bottom line. How much should a family member be awarded when a non supporting family member is killed? The whole Saylor family was killed. The brother of the wife was not married if memory serves. Who are these family members wanting a big pay day? And is that justice??
    Are these things going to have a VIN that starts with J or one that starts with a number? With the strong yen and depreciated dollar, that 20K base price is either not going to happen, or is going to be a very base car...which in a way might be kind of cool for enthusiasts, but might not warm the hearts of mass market shoppers. Of course, as currency markets are random and manipulated, things could change...but you aint gonna get AWD with fancy wheels and a wacky futuristic interior for 20 grand. Funny faces aren't a component of sport to me anyway.

Modern cars don't make me think of dinosaur rock, somehow ;)
    edited October 2010
    I think the only Toyota car that ever got my juices going was the 2002-03 Toyota Solara coupe. That to me was a clean looking car. Don't know how many they sold. But by the time I got around to thinking about buying a car for my wife they quit making them. It proves they had designers working for them at one time that had some class.

PS
    It has to be the one without a spoiler. I hate those things. Look so childish on a car that is designed to go under 120 MPH most of the time.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    We also do not know for a fact that the wrong mat was marked properly from the manufacturer.

But we DO KNOW the dealer had been warned by a previous driver of the very same vehicle a few days earlier about the mat's incorrect installation (and the problems caused by that instance) and for whatever reason, did nothing to correct a KNOWN SAFETY ISSUE.

So, from a liability issue, the dealership assumed the liability for the mats, even if they were incorrect, mis-labeled, etc. It knowingly had the mats installed in a the car in a manner not prescribed by the manufacturer.... Unless, of course, you have some evidence to disprove those facts.

And many of US would still like to know why Saylor did not or could not shift into neutral at high speed.

And that, as they say, remains the $64,000 question.

As I have pointed out in several examples before on this very thread, it isn't unheard of for one who is trained to react in certain circumstances to do exactly the opposite of what their training dictates for them to do, thereby creating disasterous results.

Was that the case here? We may never know, but it certainly it is a real possibility. Sometimes, people just panic.
    But we DO KNOW the dealer had been warned by a previous driver of the very same vehicle

I will be most interested to hear his testimony in the case if it gets that far. Something about that is just too convenient for my thinking. Maybe just as we have heard. He has not been in the news since his interview with the sheriff's office. The account does not surprise me. People at the front desk answering the phone rarely have a clue. She could be partially responsible for the deaths of 4 people. Along with who ever was responsible for the wrong floor mat.
    That thing is pretty clean design wise ,although a bit of a toaster...but at least it is better looking than the horrible mess that replaced it. But, I somehow just can't get excited over a big non-performance coupe.

I will agree spoilers are lame. Few cars that wear spoilers look better with them than without. To the unwashed they mean sport and performance...as their 4cyl FWD shopping trolley dawdles from their office to the mall to the tract house...livin on the edge!
    edited October 2010
    and keep up with me, fintail! The 2012 Toyota Celica is going to be a RWD car, I am looking only at the 4-door model of that. I want the 6-speed, thereby keeping the price lower than the automatic tranny. Are you starting to get it? Or is there still some dangling participle that's cornfusing you? Your anger over anything Toyota is peculiar, I have decided that the problem with the SUA is for large part the fault of very dumb and/or very lame Americans who are too stupid or too crooked to properly drive the Toyota they've decided to either use as a tool to slice money off of Toyota or they, like the dork who tried the Prius brake thing, are so dishonest and crooked and actually think what they are doing will work. Pathetic. It has become painfully obvious what is going on.

Of course, as currency markets are random and manipulated, things could change...but you aint gonna get AWD with fancy wheels and a wacky futuristic interior for 20 grand. Funny faces aren't a component of sport to me anyway.

Those are weird words for you to say, fin. First of all, if you haven't noticed, Toyota is really good at decontenting. They want to produce a viable vehicle, but Mr. Toyoda doesn't want to lose the 18-24 y/o's who don't have a lot of money.

Bingo! There you have it! The $20,995 2012 Toyota Celica 6-speed base model should come in right around that price. If it is up to, oh, I don't know, $22,995, I will still pursue buying one. But Dale White Motors will need to offer fair market value for my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. I'll leave that at that. It is over a year from now that the Celica first hits American Toyota stores.

Check this article's information out.

Journalists all over are buzzing about the announced "low-cost sports car" being hatched by Subaru and Toyota. Each brand will sell its own version with specific styling on a shared rear-wheel-drive platform with a Subaru-sourced horizontally opposed 4-cylinder engine. Subaru has already confirmed U.S. sale for its entry, name to be determined. In an interview with Digg.com conducted in February 2010, Toyota USA President and CEO Jim Lentz confirmed the company's plans to produce an "affordable" sports car for the U.S. market. Lentz cited the Toyota FT-86 Concept shown at the 2009 Tokyo Motor Show as "a joint-venture product between Subaru and Toyota...(that) will be coming to market." Both models are rumored to come in at under $20,000 and likely closer to $17,000 if the dollar/yen exchange rate doesn't go completely haywire.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2012-toyota-celica.htm

Where are you guys getting hit head-on by the monorail here? fintail-have you rode the monorail lately? And is there ever talk around there of Seattle getting a NHL hockey team? Please be upfront and let me know. I'd love to know about them.

edited October 2010
    The Basics

Vehicle Type: sporty/performance car

Drivetrain (CG estimates)

Drive wheels: rear

Engine: 2.0- and/or 2.5-liter horizontally opposed 4-cylinder

Horsepower: 170-175

Torque: 170-175 lb-ft

Transmission: 6-speed manual, 6-speed automatic

Dimensions (FT-86 Concept)

Wheelbase: 101.2 inches

Length: 163.8 inches

Width: 69.3 inches

Height: 48.2 inches

Base curb weight (CG estimate): 2,450 pounds

Toyota has stated a targeted base price of $17,000 for the production model based on the FT-86 Concept, but the 2012 Celica will likely cost a bit more.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2012-toyota-celica3.htm

edited October 2010
    In right hand drive form

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2012-toyota-celica2.htm

1975 Toyota Celica

I fully expect the 2012 Toyota Celica to provide extreme amounts of value for the money. Fully-completely-good and hot. And fast, and driftable, and fun to drive.

I am looking only at the 4-door model of that.

I sure hope you are not holding your breath on that one. You are expecting Toyota to offer a RWD 4 door sedan that will compete in the performance market for $21k. If they offer one it would compete against their Lexus IS250. Not to deflate your enthusiasm. That car with 4 doors would be ugly. Photo shop it for yourself as see. Unless they use the goofy doors like the Mazda RX8.
    edited October 2010
    true, they're gonna have to show what the 4-door will look like. They'll nail it. I won't buy it if it doesn't look aesthetically pleasing, silly.

1990-1993 Toyota Celica...finally it starts to somewhat look like the 2012 Celica

6th Generation Toyota Celica (1994-1999)...getting warmer

7th Generation Toyota Celica (2000-2006)

Is there any hint of a 4 door model yet? Any concepts? I thought this thing was going to have Subaru DNA and therefore AWD...I guess that's what I get for assuming ;)

I agree about SUA...there is a huge if not complete driver error issue at play here...I can look at the typical Camry or Prius driver and understand why it happens.

Oh yeah, since that article was posted, the Dollar/Yen relationship has gone haywire. No way this thing will be able to be built in Japan for 20K unless it has 16" steelies, no radio, and Corolla seats. 23K base for any normal level of content is about as low as you'll be able to go unless Toyota sells these as some kind of loss leader.

I haven't been near a monorail since I was a kid, and Seattle stands about as much chance of getting a NHL team as it does having decent traffic controls...they are lucky to get over 2500 to attend a T-Birds game and they have no suitable venue. The taxpayers aren't going to buy yet another toybox for some irresponsible rich [non-permissible content removed].