Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• crj1crj1 Member Posts: 70
    Hi all,

I have a Silver 99 Tracker 4dr. 4wd with auto
    trans.,power windows and locks,keyless
    entry,cruise,cd player,power sunroof,alloy
    wheels,skid plates,only 8300 miles. This was my
    wifes vehicle but we need to get rid of it because
    of company car.
    We are looking for someone to take over the lease
    of which we have 17 months left at $251.00 plus
    whatever your sales tax is, and just under 28000
    miles left under warranty. This is a
    great vehicle but just don't have room.
  • vitarafreakvitarafreak Member Posts: 9
    Describe color and options, photo will do,yourlocation, outright buyout price and send info to miroslav1@juno.com
  • spinynorman1spinynorman1 Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I purchase a new 1997 Suzuki Sport Sidekick JLX and have had nothing but trouble. At 32,000 miles the engine slowly began self destructing necessitating a new short block at $3200 plus labor. Now at 72,000 miles, the auto tranny just blew up. The vehicle has been maintained at levels exceeding the manufacturer's recommendations (all my trucks have gone at least 250,000 miles with NO problems: current truck, a 1987 GMC Jimmy, has 301,000). Dealership Suzuki techs are undertrained. Parts are horribly expensive. The warranty period is woefully inadequate. Suzuki had little to say after a detailed complaint was filed. I don't know if the dealerships of the Tracker are any better than the Suzuki ones, but since they all come off the same assembly line, I would be very wary. We wisely purchased a third party extended warranty, and it has paid for itself five times over before the current tranny problem. Good luck if you have already bought one!
  • abonamabonam Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    can you describe your vehicle and you request.
    Where are you located?
    Please mail to :
    abonam@tin.it
  • usaf52usaf52 Member Posts: 70
    I have a 2001 Tracker 4wd 4 dr with 10000 miles on it. I live in a mountainous area..This SUV has been trouble free, and despite complaints about lack of power, it goes up these mountain roads with ease. The only complaint I have is the automatic headlights..They've come on when I went under the drive in of a fast food place..Late in the day when there are long shadows, it clicks on and off. Is there anyway to disable this feature?
  • rmoorhourmoorhou Member Posts: 4
    I also have a 99 black 4WD/2.0/5 spd Tracker convertible, that I bought at the end of the year. I'm having problems with shifting into 3rd gear and the gears chrunching, both on upshift and downshift.
    It's worse when it's cold, but now it's doing it more often on the downshift even when it's warm. Had it back to the garage and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. This is the third Suzuki or Tracker I've had, so I'm familiar with what these vehicles should be and not be doing. I just want to thank you for this post, so now I have something to go in there with. They replaced the clutch, clutch plate and throw-out bearing within the first 1000 miles. I had complained about the noise the throw-out bearing was making and when they took it apart it was torn up inside. It was after that that I noticed the chrunching and I suggested then that they may have put in the wrong xmission fluid.

Do you happen to have the TSP number?

Do you have the Uniroyals tire on your Tracker? How were they in last years snow (I to live in MD)? I still had my old Tracker with Goodyear Wranglers on it and they did great, but I don't like the look of these Uniroyals tread. They look too much like regular car tire treads.

Do you have a problem with shifting into 4WD? Mine I have to fight to get it in and sometimes it grinds like crazy. Once I get it in the first time the next time is OK. Here again the dealer told me they were all that way, and it was working properly. My one Sidekick had auto locking hubs, which you had to stop the car first before engaging 4WD. My previous Tracker had manual locking hubs which were much better since you can shift into and out of 4WD anytime you wanted once the hubs were locked. This shift on the fly just doesn't work good, at least not on my Tracker.
  • captjcaptj Member Posts: 8
    Sorry about the delay in answering. Holiday joy. The dealer I went to in Fairfax, VA, at first was uninformed about ‘99 Tracker synchro grinding. I actually printed up some of the posts on this site to help convince my Service Advisor (Mike at McKay Chev, 703-591-4800) that this was not a unique problem. Much to his credit, he chased down an advisory that he said he got by fax from GM’s “Tech Advice” service. Here’s what the invoice said they did as directed in the fax. Using 7.7 hours of labor, “R&R trans. Repl 3rd gear synchro, synchro springs, 2nd gear synchro, & 2nd gear springs. Overhaul complete. Road tested all checked OK.” Parts listed are: one 96058162, Gear-Main 4.395; one 96068498, Sychroni 4.380; one 96058172, Ring-Low 4.384; one 96066873, Key 4.384; three 12345349, Fluid-Tra 8.800; one SLR-RTV 8.800; three 1052271, Lube 8.800. The last three items are three qts of standard gear lube, three quarts of GM Synchromesh gear lube, and a tube of silicone gasket maker. I believe the standard gear lube was used in the rebuild because the Service Advisor told me the box is now filled with GM Synchromesh (vice the synthetic fluid called for in the Owner’s Manual) as specified in the fax. After the rebuild, the shifter had a definite drag on it while moving it into a gear, probably due to tight assembly. It has since (5000 miles later) loosened up so it feels like a normal shifter now. Gears do not clash at all on engagement, even when cold. The car has the standard Uniroyals that worked fine commuting through unplowed side streets and semi-plowed parking lots last winter. Not a true test of an off-road vehicle, but good enough for me. The 4WD shifter takes a healthy push to get it from 2WD to 4WD Hi the first time I use it, but moves easily from there to 4WD Lo (when stopped), and back to 2WD. No grinding, just a couple of seconds wait for the green 4WD light on the dash. The only time I ever heard a grind was briefly the night I picked up the car and went to try engaging 4WD. I was rounding a curve and did not know I had to have the front wheels pointed straight ahead. I think “wheels straight ahead” is an important detail to permit the air pressure-activated half shafts to engage the hubs properly. Hope this helps.
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Member Posts: 61
    I had a '95 Sidekick JLX with the Wranglers before I traded it for my '99 Tracker with the Uniroyals. I've made several trips over the Cascade passes during winter storms with both vehicles, and I believe the Uniroyals are much better on packed snow and ice. I've noticed the difference the most when driving on black ice.
  • allan530allan530 Member Posts: 1
    I have just put 600 miles on my new blue tracker convertible and couldn't be happier. My wife and I just came back from a 192 mile round trip in the sierra mountains going up to Mt Lassen National Park and back. I got 27.45 mpg on the trip. So far the only complaint is a squeek that sounds like it may be in the dashboard which I hope the dealer will remedy shortly. The car runs great and has plenty of power for us. I didn't really push it until the first 500 miles which occcurred about halfway through the trip.
  • greenlemon2greenlemon2 Member Posts: 7
    I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a problem of their 1999 tracker "popping" out of 4 x 4.

I have received an unbelievable story from my service advisor that ice and snow can build up under the transfer case which can cause it not to fully engage into 4 x4 and then pop out of 4 x 4 even though the shifter remains in place and the 4x4 indicator high remains on.
    I have a 1999 Tracker which now has about 30,000km's and has been in for repairs twice for Synchros. I have been told by my service advisor that this is a "know problem". What will happen once my warranty has expired, will this still be a " known problem " and who will have to pay for this known problem, GM, I do not think so...... ?
  • dayooodayooo Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a hard top for my 2001 Tracker. Per GM they no longer supply.
    Anyone have one Anyone know where to get one
  • jmiller15jmiller15 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 92 Geo Tracker. A little SUV with a big problem. The ECM (the computer that controls a variety of engine functions) has died and the replacement cost for the part is about 1/3 to 1/2 of the value of the vehicle! To make matters worse no one can tell me why the part broke in the first place. So if I bite the bullet and buy the expensive part it may get burned out again. One person I talked to suggested that it may be the fuel injectors causing the problem.

Help!

John Miller
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    Sat in the new one last Friday at Luddy Chevrolet in Holden, MA. It was tighter than my '92 Civic. My shoulder actually hit the door frame and not enough leg room. I didn't look at it any further.
  • shawn75067shawn75067 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1999 scuba blue Chevrolet Tracker 2.0L 4x4 2-door. I purchased the vehicle December 1999. I have had problems with the transmission since I bought it. Downshifting into 3rd gear has been grinding. The transmission was partially rebuilt and now has problems with 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gear downshifts. THIS IS APPARENTLY A PROBLEM THAT MANY OF US SHARE. I also had a squeaking sound that was coming from the engine . . . this required the dealership to replace the entire belt,tensioner,pulley system on my vehicle. I have had numerous other problems, including vibrations, etc. I AM INTERESTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS BEEN SUCCESSFUL IN GETTING GM TO REPURCHASE OR REPLACE THEIR VEHICLE DUE TO THE TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS STATED ABOVE. IF SO, PLEASE EMAIL ME (shawn75067@hotmail.com) AS I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO PURSUE REPURCHASE FOR ME VEHICLE AND WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INSIGHT ANYONE COULD OFFER. I also think that it would be a good idea, for those of us who are having this same exact problem, that we begin writing one another and make a group. We should all join together and contact GM to complain of this obvious defect . . . in larger numbers we will have a much better chance of fighting GM and getting what we deserve. I have spoken to one person thus far with the same exact condition to his vehicle . . . we are trying to find additional people via other 'web communities' or complaint boards. I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THOSE OF YOU WHO WOULD LIKE TO JOIN US IN THE FIGHT AGAINST GM . . . THE FIGHT FOR OUR RIGHT TO BUY A NEW VEHICLE WITH NO DEFECTS. PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA EMAIL Shawn75067@hotmail.com
  • jsirvinjsirvin Member Posts: 1
    For you Tracker guys:
    I have an 89 Suzuki Sidekick. Its been a great vehicle until the last year it began to die intermitently. Finally tracked the problem to the ECM. The price for a new one was out of sight. I found Auto ECM in Houston on the Internet. They analyzed the ECM and repaired it for $200. They said they a lot of older Tracker/Sidekick are having the same ECM problems. Mine had two bad capacitors. Hope this helps. Auto ECM's address on the Internet is:
    http://www.auto-ecm.com
    jsirvin@swbell.net
  • flyer101flyer101 Member Posts: 3
    2000 Tracker. 4 door, 4WD, automatic, ABS, AC, alloy wheels, roof rack, cruise, tilt, stereo cassette. Dark Green.
    This has been pretty much problem free. Dealer replaced a belt because it was squeaking, and put in a new stereo due to the original being scratched when it was delivered. Other than that no problems. It has remainder of 3/36 factory warranty (purchase date 10/99). MSRP was $20,331.
    It's in outstanding condition. I want to get either an Acura TL, or VW Passat, that's why I'm selling it. I just miss having a car. All I want is my payoff of $12,850. If you look around you'll find this to be a great deal. I'm too busy to handle selling it myself, so Bob Dennis at "Denver Motors" is taking care of that for me. If you're interested please call him at 303-781-3100. Thanks (mileage is approx 13,000 oil changes done by the dealer)
  • newmesipronewmesipro Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing the 2001 4WD 4 door Tracker with all options. I was hoping to get opinions on the purchase. I like to go 4wd driving in southern Utah and southwest Colorado and wondered if this vehicle can handle that. Has anyone had major problems with this vehicle? Would you purchase another one?
  • woody72woody72 Member Posts: 73
    We purchased a '01 Tracker about mid Dec, base model, 4 cyl 2.0, 5 speed, 4 door, 4wd. Originally I was considering the Suzuki Vitara but realized these vehicles are exactly the same though the option packages and standard equipment are quite different. Some differences I was able to find were: Chevy puts in a lower amp alternator and a lower capacity battery and uses 15" wheels and a standard size tire, narrower than the Suzuki's 16", though both tires have the same outer diameter, also there is a slight difference in rear end ratios. With the generous GM rebate of $2000 these difference were not that great to me. I tell folks I bought a Suzuki Tracker. It has plenty of power for my needs and climbs our mountain roads in 5th gear. The engine is noisey and the clutch engages quite high, just things to get used to. It took me a while to find the right seat position to feel comfortable. 4wd is great, low range could be a bit lower. With mixed driving (hiway, town, mountain roads and 4wd driveway) I'm averaging 25 mpg. The seats are quite narrow as I think a large person may be uncomfortable. I noticed in the manual it makes a big deal about not using 20W50 oil, anybody know why, I'm using 10W40. I sold my 87 Subaru hatchback with 209K (all mine) and hope to get that kind of life from this vehicle.
  • shawn75067shawn75067 Member Posts: 2
    Check out this site http://www.geocities.com/gmlemon/
    is there anyway to disable the automatic headlight sensor? if I drive under and out of shady areas, the lights flick on and off even when I go under a drive thru bank etc, the lights come on..I also have a smell of coolant when the engine is warm..it is a noticable smell but I'm not losing any coolant and there are no leaks..Any thoughts.?
  • houstonmanhoustonman Member Posts: 11
    We own a 2001 LT 2 WD. We have had it for about 4 months and about 4500 miles. The only problem, the brake pedal squeaked, so the dealer greased the bushing and the noise went away. We have had it up to 90 MPH and it was rock steady, smooth and quiet ride. We looked at Toyota and Honda, but couldn't get close to it in price about 19.3 drive out after rebate. We have gotten compliments on its looks, (once at supermarket, and the other time at the post office.) It only gets 21 MPG highway about 17-18 city, but other than that you can't get a RWD SUV for the price.

I am looking at a slightly bigger SUV ie Xterra, Blazer, Explorer, etc.

With the 2,500 rebate on the 2 door Blazer I may go with it. I know there have been problems with them in the past, but my boss currently drives a Blazer with 230,000 on it. I told him about the 3,500 rebate on the 4 door. He will look this weekend at them.

Please note, I am not a shill for GM. My last three cars have been Mazda 1982 626, 1987 626 1992 MX-6. I owned one of the original Mustangs 67 GT 2+2 Fastback and a 1980 Z-28 Camero. The Mazdas were the best, but the Tracker seems well built.

If you want more information, just write back.
    There is a photo eye (light sensor) switch on the far right (passenger) side of dash, the size of a quarter a little darker than the dash. I'm sure a good auto electric shop could bypass this, but I think you may have a faulty one. Experiment with this switch by covering it with a glove (or similar) during daylight and within about 30 seconds you should here a click and lights on, and removing it should click again turning them off. I drive my 01 in dawn and dusk and the lights come on with no problems, in fact I think Suzuki has a great idea. I find I never worry if I should put the lights on and if I think they should be on they already are. As far as drive thrus and tunnels the lights may come on and then again should go off with no flickering. This is a nice feature, have the photo eye looked at. If you are smelling coolant you may indeed have a slow leak, take a flashlight and look and feel under dash for wetness. Good luck.
    Thanks Woody. I guess I didn't explain properly. I smell the coolant outside, by the radiator area after the engine is warmed by a lengthy drive..I can find no leaks under the vehicle, or around any of the hoses, and my coolant level is not dropping in the reserve tank
    From reading these comments, the Suzuki comments, talking with a Suzuki service manager and mechanic it appears 99 models had some serious problems with front end shake and manual transmission. The front end problems seem to be related to the Bridgestone Dueller tires, perhaps a bad batch as the V6 still has these where the I4 has Uniroyals. 99 was the first year of the Suzuki Sidekick/Geo Tracker change to Vitara/Chevy. From comments here and my '01 experience it seems the '00 and '01 have not experienced problems in these areas, thankfully. If I can be of help to the 99ers by comparing let me know, I'm sure it is frustrating.

to usaf52; what became of your auto light problem? Your coolant smell baffles me, are you sure it is coolant (open the reserve tank and smell), if it is I would suspect a small conceled leak, otherwise a new engine can emit various smells.

I bought mud flaps from Suzuki Accessories, they fit and look good, some minor drilling, a bit pricey at $52 front and rear and now I have the Suzuki 'S' logo on my Chevy. I'm trying to get the skid plate package kit from GM accessories with no luck, they say it is not available. Anybody have any luck here?
  • flyer101flyer101 Member Posts: 3
    As mentioned by someone earlier, there is a round "eye" on the far right side of the dash. Gently take a small screwdriver and pry it out. Simply unplug it. The daytime running lights still work, but the headlights are now manual only.
  • dimensionerdimensioner Member Posts: 5
    If anyone needs a copy of the General Motors: 1999-2000 Chevrolet Tracker with manual transmission Bulletin on Synchormesh Transmission problems you can find it at http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m3102/11_119/67320358/p1/article.jhtml?term=chevrolet+tracker

Chris Murphy

I emailed CAMI Automotive (the manufacturer of Trackers and Vitaras in Canada) regarding the '99 manual transmission problems mentioned in the above discussions. They admit there was a problem in '99 and made changes to solve the problem starting in early production months of '00 through present. These folks got back to me right away and answered my questions directly. This might be a better resource than dealing with Chevy.
    Concerning the Transmissions in the 1999 Trackers and the problems which many of us have experienced, is GM going to be doing anything about the 1999's which are out there now with transmission problems, their Synchro kit I/N 91176347 does not fix the problem.

I have had transmission work done twice and I only have 32,000 km's, and since the last time I now find it difficult to shift into 1st and 2nd as well it seems that the counter shaft bearing is gone. While driving in 5th and excelerating between 90 -100 km/hr I hear a wining noise, only in 5th gear.

Looks like it's time for it's 3rd transmission re-build.
  • njtednjted Member Posts: 3
    I took a 2001 LT automatic trans for test drive this past week and while driving 55-60 noticed a low constant rumble noise. Not grinding. Since it was my first experience in a LT I wanted to know if anyone has heard similar noise. Not sure if it was tires or possible wind but the experience turned me off a little. Have also driven Escape & RAV 4 but have not made up mind yet. RAV 4 was very quiet on the highway at 60MPH. The information being exchanged here is excellent for any one trying to decide which way to go. Any comments/input comparing 2001 LT to 2001 Escape, RAV4, CR, etc. is much appreciated. Has anyone heard on a 2001 LT recalls? Any problems with the auto trans model?

Thanks.
  • christa824christa824 Member Posts: 17
    greenlemon2 I feel for you. I have had transmission work twice on my 1995 Sidekick. There is no way I can recommend a Tracker to anyone (same car, different name). Suzuki is probably the transmission problem, not GM. It is such a misconception that they are calling them "Chevrlolet" Trackers now. Suzuki is still making them.
    See my message number 222. The 2001 Tracker CT we have has 5,300 miles on it. So far, it is working fine. We have had the tracker to 90 MPH for short periods of time, without any problem of vibration or noise. But, I would test drive another and see if you get the same experience. But when you do, notice how the transmission shifts. I think you will be impressed with how smoothly it does shift through the gears.

We bought the tracker only due to price. The escape is larger, and so too is the RAV-4, but both will cost several thousands more. Compare a V-6, auto transmission, 5 mag wheels, luggage rack, spare tire cover, full body cladding including running boards, key-less entry, power windows and door locks, tinted glass, and armored gas tank, and a SUB built on a truck frame. I think you will have a hard time beating the price of less than $19,000 drive out.

As for people having transmission problems with 6 year old vehicles, imagine that. I know there were problems with manual transmissions in 1999 this has been corrected.

Last year Suzuki sold 1.8 million cars and trucks. Someone other than me is buying them.
  • christa824christa824 Member Posts: 17
    Just to clarify-I put a transmission on the car when it was only 2 years old the first time, 5 years old the second time. I just got a lemon. My sister has a 1994 that she absolutely loves. Mine was great at 5300 miles,too. I started having problems after 50,000. Both headlights went out at the same time. Coincedence?? That is what the dealer told me. I only took it in because I was afraid that it was something electrical. Both tailights also went out at the same time. I understand that everyone has their own opinion about cars. My sister was lucky, I wasn't.
    I generally agree w/houstonman that you should choose another Tracker or Grand Vitara and compare the ride and noise. These vehicles do have some road, wind and engine noise but what you describe is suspicious. As for the Escape, CRV or Rav4; these are more car like with no 4wd low range. The Tracker/Vitara is built on a truck like frame with better suspension for off road use. The Tracker still has a rebate between $1500 and $2000 available.

Found out the DRLs switch off when you apply the emergency brake.
  • mstrclnmstrcln Member Posts: 3
    I have been reading this forum since before I ordered my wife's 2001 Black, 4 Door 2001 Tracker ZR2 I/ roof rack, ad player and AS brakes, AT, V6 (including all other standard items) in September '01.

I finally picked it up on Thursday Feb. 1st. We have put 500+ miles on it so far... We'll see about the long haul.

Great Forum by the way.
    My decision to buy was swayed here.
    Wow, I thought I waited a long time when I ordered a '00 Toyota 4Runner in Dec'99 and picked it up Apr '00. That's the family car, my commuter is (as noted in above posts) a '01 Tracker, base, 4 dr. 4wd. You may recall I'm not having much luck finding the skid plate package thru GM accessories. If I remember correctly the ZR2 has this as a standard feature. I'm talking about the front (front differential and engine) and transfer case plates. The latter being quite small. I'd appreciate it if you could describe these the best you can. GM wants about $200 for both as a kit which I'm sure is high as most manufacturer accessories are. Haven't seen a ZR2 around here yet. Keep us posted.
  • upandaway1upandaway1 Member Posts: 8
    In mag # 8 a question was asked about flat-towing a Tracker but I didn't see any responses. I have a 2000 4dr with auto cranny and auto hubs. I was wondering if anyone knows if this particular vehicle can be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground? This question is being asked here because I have found conflicting information from various sources. According to my Tracker manual it is towable in this fashion but with limitations on speed and stopping to run the engine. The manual doesn't mention limitations on auto hubs but elsewhere I have found conflicting info on the hubs.

Also, we found a low-pitched rumble when we first bought the vehicle at speeds above about 20 mph (roughly). Sometimes it sounded like it could be coming from side panels or exhaust, but it was hard to pinpoint. After being told that it was road noise, we found some reference to this on the internet (can't remember where, maybe here) and decided to take the cross-members off the roof rack. The sound went completely away, and it drove smooth as silk thereafter (haven't driven over 60 mph). We really like it, it seems to be a good vehicle for around town as it is fairly economical yet comfortable to us. We bought it, though, rather than the other competing makes, because of two things 1) its low range gear which we thought would be very handy for our back-road sight seeing and fishing trips and 2) the lower initial cost.

Any posting that have good info on flat or dinghy-type towing with auto and auto hubs would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone have an e-mail address for the supplier in Canada where questions can be asked and answered? (I found their website but
    I couldn't see any place to send technical questions).
  • upandaway1upandaway1 Member Posts: 8
    In msg 237, although probably obvious, in the second sentence, please read "cranny" as "tranny".
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You have 30 minutes to make any changes or fixes after you post a message. Just click on the Edit button.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Try alex.riddell@cami.ca
    I received a quick and clear response to my query.
  • kilometerkilometer Member Posts: 1
    Im considering buying a Tracker 4dr LT that comes with running boards. Im a little concerned that these will hamper the off-road capabilty of the vehicle because they will reduce the ground clearance. However, I do like their looks while just tooling around. Does anyone know if they can easily be removed. If so, what's involved.Thanks
  • stealthin4stealthin4 Member Posts: 1
    ZR2's? I think NOT!!
    To view "REAL" ZR2's visit:
    www.zr2.com
    www.zr2hr.org

and many of the "elite zr2 owner" web sites.

Find out what your lacking in the real off-road world!
  • vanrvanr Member Posts: 1
    Man, you guys need to think about what you are doing before you spend 23+ grand on a veh that is not worth it. If you want a ZR2 (real deal) by the ZR2 S-series Blazer/Pu or GMC highrider. You will pay about 2 grand more for it, but it is the most assume veh out there..Dont be fooled by the very cheaply made inport (sis-su-kee), by american made S-series ZR2 Blazer/Pu or GMC highrider and get your moneys worth
    I took advice from others & took a 2nd 2001 LT out for test drive. There was no noticeable noise other then wind. It was a very windy day. In the passenger compartment it was pretty quiet. I think the value for the $ is excellent. Does anyone know if the LT is American made? How well does it hold its resale value? The most recent Consumer report (March 2001) rates the Tracker pretty far down the list. REV 4, then Forester, Escape, Tribute, CRV & then Tracker. The Tracker was not recommended by Consumer Reports. Have there been any recalls on the 2001 LT model?

All the help & input has been great. Thanks.

NJTED
    Cami Automotive is a GM/Suzuki joint auto assembly plant in Ingersol, Ontario, Canada. All Suzuki 4 cyl. are assembled there while their 6 cyl are assembled in Japan. With the Tracker line the 4 cyl also are assembled in Canada. I'm not sure on the 6 cyl models, I believe they are also Canadian. See comment #241 for email to Cami to answer your question.
    Resale value has been low, but past factors have to be accounted for. CR uses past values to predict future values.

This Tracker is a better design than the old one which CU used for reporting resale values. Also, both GM and Suzuki are actively promoting the vehicle, which had not been done in the past.

Years ago, no one had heard of Toyota or Nissan, but they are standards, now. And why? They made a quality product and offered it at a good price. The Tracker is smaller than the RAV-4 and CRV, but you get so much more value with the Tracker.
    Does anyone know what the crash test results were for 2001 Tracker? Believe they are reported as potential of serious head injury to driver, passenger, etc.

njted
    I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get information concerning the probelms with the transmissions in the 1999 Trackers, Tech bulletins, stats on how many Trackers have had transmission problems etc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can E-Mail me - Campbell.ianb@ic.gc.ca
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I guess you know about Alldata? You only get summary headings there for most cars, but you can pay for extra info, or take the tsb info to the dealer and ask them to pull it for you (some dealers will, some won't...).

Anyone else?

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    I have a 1999Tracker which I have had many problems with, most noteably the transmission.
    I have about 30,000 Km's and have had the transmission re-built 2 times and it is now in the shop to have the complete transmission replaced.

I live in Canada and we unfortunately do not have a Lemon Law however we do have the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan ( CAMVAP ).

I am preparing for arbitration and I was wondering if anyone who has problems with their 1999 Tracker, specifically with the transmission, would be willing to fax me a copy of their service/work orders so that at the arbitration hearing I can show that there are others are having problems with the transmissions in these trucks.

If you would be willing to do so please E-Mail me ( Campbell.ianb@ic.gc.ca ) and I will provide you with my fax number.

Regards,

Greenlemon2