Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• anyone else notice the door hitting their arm/shoulder when closing the door?

I am not (overly) fat. I am about 230#, 6'1".

I liked it otherwise, but would not tolerate that for 5 seconds in the showroom, and I can only imagine it being VERY irratating on the road.
  • gene58gene58 Posts: 8
    Still very happy with my 2000 2WD, 4-door, auto-trans hardtop which I purchased new almost a year ago. Nothing has fallen off, and no service work has been necessary, other than three oil changes, one new air-cleaner element, one tire rotation and my "Symphony of Squeaks" problem which I wrote about earlier.

If any of you 2000 owners have squeaking sounds which sound like they are coming from just in front of the instrument panel-- they probably are not. Turns out, mine were coming from the hood latch/striker mechanism way up front. The non-sound-insulated hood acts as sort of an amplification system to "throw" the sound back toward the passenger compartment!

Solution: Spray all of the latch/striker parts with white lithium grease, using a towel to keep it from hitting the radiator and other engine parts. You may also want to try adjusting the little rubber "posts" which regulate the hood height when closed.

Hey, everyone and his grandmother has a Ford Explorer or a Jeep-- I like being different, and saving money at the same time!

Back at 12,000-- or sooner if my fun little driving machine develops a problem.

Gene in Amarillo
  • tuffy76tuffy76 Posts: 2
    I'm seriously considering a 2001 Tracker ZR2. I live in Wisconsin and we get a variety of winter weather - heavy snow, freezing rain, sleet, etc. For those of you in a similar climate, how does the Tracker handle? Thanks!
  • tjeep27tjeep27 Posts: 17
    If you (tuffy76) are experiencing the weather conditions you have decribed regularly, then I advise you to scrap the Tracker idea. This vehicle is simply a pathetic attempt by Chevy to imitate the Jeep Wrangler. Geo tried to do it, and they failed miserably. Go out and buy a hard top Jeep Wrangler. You can find a used Sport for far less then a brand new Tracker. A new one would also cost less. It won't let you down. Jeeps Rule.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    GM was never trying to imitate the Jeep. GM is competing with other small spot utilities. While not as refined as a RAV4, it certainly is a good value. Unfortunately (for some unknown reason) the V6 version is not available in Canada (even though it's made here). If you want the V6, you have to get the Suzuki.
  • woody72woody72 Posts: 73
    Have had no problems with my '01 4 dr/2.0L/5 sp with 5K miles. I've done oil changes (the oil filter is tiny!), tire rotation, added Suzuki accessories mud flaps and GM accessories skid plate package. Getting 24 mpg in mixed driving. The engine noise is greater above 3k rpm and the clutch engages high on the pedal, both minor irritants and easy to get used to. All in all pleased with this vehicle especially for the type of driving I do which includes commuting mountain roads, freeways, town roads and 4wd driveway.
  • nick01nick01 Posts: 84
    Hi all....this is my first post. Just bought a 01 LT black with a silver bottom. Traded in the 99 4dr we had for 2 yrs. The 99 never give me a minutes trouble while I had it. The 6 cyl is much better but I'll not give any mustangs or cameros any trouble. And if you have to go a 1000 miles to grandmas house and back...take the buick(or the other car). But they do what they are designed to do and do it well. I love it.
  • gene58gene58 Posts: 8
    Since no one else has commented on these two points, I will.

I am 6'1", 300 pounds, and yes, the left "side room" IS snug, although I have plenty of headroom. It has just never bothered me, for two reasons: (1)
    I owned two Yugos, so I am used to "snug" :-)
    And (2) Hey, you gotta give up something for
    those thousands of dollars you save over a Blazer
    or a Cherokee!

And on winter driving, my 2 WD is no muy bueno
    in snow-- there is just no traction there because
    it is so light. I did not risk it in our ice
    storms-- so donno about ice traction-- but I
    suspect both would be better with a 4 WD model.

Gene (2000 4-DR, Auto Trans)
    what happened to all the posters for the Tracker. Must be a Tracker spring break :*)
  • emmett1emmett1 Posts: 20
    Hi all....I have owned both a 1990 and a 1993 4x4 Tracker convertible, auto, air. I put a combined 100,000 miles on them and never had any trouble. Regular oil changes are all that my toys required. I used them both in the snow and the 93 in the Storm of the Century that hit the east coast in 94 I think it was. 2 feet of snow and not a single traction issue. Overall, I would recommend the vehicle, but again the last one I owned was 8 model years ago. The flip side of that is they are more refined now. I always enjoyed the open air in the summer also, which might explain my 2001 Camaro now :) Anyway, the two I owned were trouble free.
    has a 96 Tracker convertible with over 80,000 on it. She has a rural mail route. She wore out 2 used Jeeps and now has a new right hand drive Jeep to run her route with. She only uses the Tracker for her everyday personel use around town and back and forth to her job. She's had no trouble with the tracker so far.
  • zeke707zeke707 Posts: 74
    We own a 2000 2.0 Liter, 2dr automatic. Any comments on how the automatic transmission holds up in these vehicles? Any advice on frequency of changing the auto fluid?

Thanks
  • spxtechspxtech Posts: 1
    im thinking of buying a 2001 tracker lt please let me know what youre experience was if you recently purchased one and how its holding up
    thanks
    pete from nj
    zeke707........the 96 conv my daughter drives is an automatic. She has had no problems of any kind at 80,000 plus. She got it new in 96. I bought a 99 4 dr automatic and it performed perfectly for 2 yrs. Great city gas milage. I bought a new 2001 LT in febuary of this year, so I guess I like them. I only use mine to get around in the city and these rural indiana roads.
    I just recently bought a 2001LT so I havent had it long enough to tell you much. This is my 2nd 4dr auto tracker. The first thing you want to do is remove the cross bars on the roof rack and store them in your garage. This will get rid of the loud rumble or drumming noise. The book says to slide them all the way to the rear, but that doesnt get rid of all of it. removing them does. I like the 4dr tracker as long as I dont try to take any long trips in it. Its not a freeway cruiser by any means. But it is perfect for around town and short trips to the country. The car magazines say that where it really shines is in the woods crawling over rocks and logs, and will hold its own with any of the others. But why would anyone want to push rocks and logs around with a new 22,000 vehicle.
  • frankb9frankb9 Posts: 2
    Hi everybody thinking about buying a 2001 tracker I'm just not sure if it's regade enough i like it but I'm wondering if the Honda CRV looks more regade.
    need some opinions.
  • katsx2katsx2 Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,
    Six months ago I bought a 2000 Tracker 4WD. I like it very much, but I had to take it to the shop. It was making an awful rattling noise from the engine. They told me it was the tension-pulley bearings making the noise and needed replaced. While I was getting a rental car, a man told me about his 2001 Chevy Impala that was in the shop also. He just bought two months ago and it needed bearings replaced also. Has anyone else had this problem on any newer Trackers or Chevys? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  • What does "regade" mean?
  • frankb9frankb9 Posts: 2
    SORRY GUYS I MUST OF HAD A MEMORY BLOCK I WANTED TO SPELL
    RUGGED, SO LET ME ASK AGAIN.

Hi, AGAIN thinking about buying a 2001 tracker but I'm just not sure if it looks RUGGED
    enough i like it but I'm wondering if the Honda CRV looks more RUGGED.
    need some opinions.
    thanks and sorry again
  • I am interested in buying a 2001 Tracker.

My local Chevy dealer in Knoxville, TN is the best. I have no concerns about getting help from the service department, if needed.

I am concerned about wasting money on an SUV that will be a long-term disappointment. I want to buy something that will last and will be fun to drive.

Does anyone know if the 2002 Tracker will be significantly different or improved? Is Chevy considering the 2.7-liter V6 from the XL-7 for use in the Tracker to combat the Ford Escape? Will Chevy ever offer the V6 in the 2-door convertible Tracker?

Any help is appreciated.