Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota on the mend?

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    edited November 2011
    One word: Unimog!

In the S-class wreck that killed Princess Diana only one person was wearing a seat belt, and only one person survived.

Not a coincidence.

Car makers put all this effort in safety engineering, but passengers have to buckle up to take advantage of it all.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,766
    A small diesel truck could have real advantages, which is what Gary's asking for.

Mahindra has been threatening to sell one here for the past 4 years or so. I wonder why they haven't followed through?? PERHAPS THE MARKET IS TOO SMALL??
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,899
    My guess is Mahindra has not passed the EPA emissions tests. Same reason Honda gave up on selling diesels here. They could not pass the test. So far only the Germans are smart enough to build a diesel that can pass the CA smog requirements. And they are selling very well.

I think Toyota is missing a good bet with their diesel PU trucks that dominate many markets in the World. What they send US are gas hogs.
    Actually Mahindra hadn't even submitted paperwork to the EPA or NHTSA for certification. I'm guessing they've decided the market is too small for an expensive (expected base price was over $22K0, small pickup in the US and didn't bother wanting to get it to pass the testing.
    Finding dealers may have been problematic as well. I think there were lawsuits with the distributor. I would really like the Ford T6 with the 2.2L diesel. May be the best mid sized truck in the World.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,744
    Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get an International CXT. Let the nuts in the Scions bounce off. I am sure the kid died needlessly. If it was a blowout as witnesses claim it behooves us to keep a close watch on our tires as well.

Wasn't somebody killed when ejected? People aren't usually ejected if they are wearing seat belts.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,580
    It was definitely a seatbelt issue in that case.

And in 2011 some idiots still claim mandatory seatbelts infringe on their freedom.
    Mahindra is weak sauce, I'd like to see one of the big boys try a small diesel pickup.

Also, wouldn't it be subject to a 25% chicken tax? Without it that 22k would actually only be $17.6k, about the price of a B segment car nowadays.

So it could be done, but build it within NAFTA, to keep the prices competitive.
    Impressive in more ways than one. Torque is the obvious one, but look how it manages traction as well. Very little wheelspin.
    Actually I was incorrect. Mahindra did get EPA approval back in August of 2010. Then they were sued by Global Vehicles which is the importer for taking to long. They claim Mahindra was trying to wait them out so they could get out of the agreement.

IIRC, they had about 300 dealers signed up.
    Mahindra is weak sauce, I'd like to see one of the big boys try a small diesel pickup.

But as you noted earlier, none of the big guys will because the pricing, fuel economy, et al are all too close.

Also, wouldn't it be subject to a 25% chicken tax? Without it that 22k would actually only be $17.6k, about the price of a B segment car nowadays.

So it could be done, but build it within NAFTA, to keep the prices competitive.

It's a chicken and egg thing. Do you really think Mahindra would build a plant here when the market is totally unproven??
    I'm thinking some one who already sells a compact pickup here, maybe Nissan. It's not like they sell many Titans.

Does Nissan have a clean diesel?
    Keep in mind that Mahindra can do it for the theoretical $17K because they are making in in India. Build it anywhere else and it's a $28 unit after the chicken tax.

Nissan does have a clean diesel but it's used in its class 4 to class 7 trucks they import and market under the UD Trucks brands. The Frontier is built in Smyrna, TN along with the Pathfinder and XTerra. The Titan and Armada - and now the NV - are built in Canton, MS. I don't think they can build them on the same lines.
    The idea is to build it in a place that avoids the chicken tax. Mexico, perhaps.

The Chicken tax is going away over the next several years as a part of the new FTA signed by Obama. I think a lot of small PU trucks are built in Thailand. I would imagine they will be coming here if they can pass emissions.
    And in 2011 some idiots still claim mandatory seatbelts infringe on their freedom.

Actually, both helmet and seatbelt laws DO infringe on freedom.

Also, why do we allow dangerous sports like jetskiing, scuba diving, and skydiving? Those kill people, too. And if you wore a helmet while driving, you could save x more people per year. Such danger! Let's legislate to fix all those dangerous situations!

But you won't find ME driving without my seatbelt.
    You forgot other big killers. Buses, Trains, Motorcycles and Bicycles have NO seat belts. How about outlawing Skiing that is what killed Sonny Bono. Just too many dangerous activities allowed. Especially when you consider the tax payers will be on the hook to cover their medical expenses starting next year. :shades:
    Freedom to do what, be an idiot? If my healthcare and insurance premiums are impacted by people who refuse to buckle up or wear a helmet, then I say when you crash and are found to not be using them, your coverage is voided.

Funny that these things aren't an issue in places that are eating our collective lunch today.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/11/toyota-releases-extra-tough-land-cruiser-gx-f- or-australia/

Swee-eet!

Steelies, snorkel, vinyl floor mats, twin turbo diesel.

All it needs is a manual transmission and I'm moving down under.
    edited November 2011
    Freedom to do what, be an idiot? If my healthcare and insurance premiums are impacted by people who refuse to buckle up or wear a helmet, then I say when you crash and are found to not be using them, your coverage is voided.

Agreed.

Think of how many smokers' lung cancer treatments and heart attacks we are covering through Medicare.

Their Toyotas will last longer than they do (to keep it on topic :shades: ).
    I would love to spend time looking around Australia. I wonder if they will be in a rental fleet. I don't know about driving on the WRONG side of the road?
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,192
    It looks really good. Much nicer looking than the Avalon.
    I like the fact that the Land Cruiser can still be a utilitarian vehicle, a REAL SUV, and not just an accessory for celebrities.
    I seriously considered buying a 20+ year old Land Cruiser diesel when I ended up with the Sequoia. They are available in Canada and sometimes resold here. Funny thing is you can buy a smoke belching old diesel and not a new diesel that would be much cleaner burning. This is a cool one. Just what you need:

http://www.outbackimports.ca/sale/HD-2963.html#HD-2963-01
    Or an accessory for high maintenance stay at home types, or their oh so respectable other halves. Do celebs drive our bloated luxo LCs?
    I think they're in to the new "flavor of the month", and have since moved on to Escalade, Range Rovers, or whatever other design is newer.
    I'm not a big celeb follower, I just notice what the local nonworking spoiled "wives" drive (as I have to dodge them when I am both on foot and on the road) - I live in a good place to be a Rover etc dealer, and everyone one of those Evoques will sell. Of course, every RX GX etc sells too.
    Me neither, unless one of them wrecks an exotic car and it hits the mainstream news.

This site has a whole slew of 'em:

http://wreckedexotics.com/