Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• mycroftmycroft Member Posts: 3
    As I understand it, you can get warranty service at any Chevy dealer you want, not just the one where you bought the car. So if a dealer's treating you badly, I'd complain to GM and go to another dealer.
  • brosen1953brosen1953 Member Posts: 2
    I see here several complaints about manual transmissions but none on automatics. Any problem with them? Also, I was wondering how owners are finding the ride and the pickup, especially with the automatic?
    Barry
  • tim98tim98 Member Posts: 16
    I have a 99 Tracker 4wd conv with 6000 miles. The car has been in the shop twice with engine mis-fire problems, once for a faulty fuel gauge, once for the brake light recall and four times for a rattly tensioner pulley. One week from the last repair, the tensioner pulley is rattling again. Chevy is reluctant to approve a buyback. My concern is will this car last? So far, the car likes the Chevy Service Dept more than it likes the highway.
  • compucarcompucar Member Posts: 21
    We own a 96 Tracker and as of now we have 65,000 miles on it. Has it been reliable? Basically, yes. We did have to take it in for a problem with the 5-speed wanting to die on us. We had it in the shop twice and we still have this annyoying problem. It is not as bad as it was but still once in a while it dies. Other than that problem, I cannot say it is a bad vehicle.
    The Lexington Ky Area Vehicle Manager has denied a buyback. The avm refuses to give me his phone number to contact him for questions. It appears customer service communication is only one-way. As long as the car is running, the avm will not refund my money or replace the car. The avm keeps asking me for another alternative to satisfy me. I do not understand what he is asking for.

I am very disappointed with Chevy and GM for the treatment I am receiving with this problem. I would be happy with a replacement vehicle. But, Chevy would rather lose a customer than admit they built a car with flaws. I am pursuing the matter with the Attorney General's office. I will next contact the Better Business Bureau and next an attorney if necessary. This car clearly fits the Kentucky definition of a "lemon".
    The Lexington A.V.M. re-inspected my Tracker. I made sure he heard the awful rattle coming from the front of the engine. I offered to pay the difference on a trade for a new 4x4 S10. I offered to let Chevy make a profit from the trade. The A.V.M. refused to sell me a new vehicle at a profit. The A.V.M. did offer to extend my warranty to 100,000 miles. I did not have time to find out the details. If the warranty means giving up my lemon rights, I will not accept the offer. I will continue my pursuit of a buyback. The paperwork from the BBB arrived yesterday. I will fill out all of the forms and mail it in this week.

The A.V.M. does not listen to my plea why I bought a new car. I bought a new 4x4 to increase the odds of making it to work without a problem. I had hoped the car work function properly and make it through the snow. I have not had a chance to drive in snow yet. But, I do not have the confidence the car will run properly to get me to work and back without more problems.

General Motors has already lost. I will no longer purchase anymore GM products and I will encourage friends and family to consider other products.

I still cannot believe Chevy will not trade me out at my expense. That was my one-time offer. They turned it down, so now I will continue the legal battle.
  • matt84matt84 Member Posts: 3
    I might buy a 99' tracker and I was wondering if that would be a wise decision considering all of the things I have read. It is a used one. I need a vehicle for winter, and this is the only place that will take my motorcycle on trade this time of year. I'm not sure how many miles are on it, but I know they are low. It is a red five speed 4x4 convertable. It seems to be in exc. shape. They are asking 13,000 for it. My brother-in-law told me to make them take 7.5% off the sticker price. I need some help on what to do in dealing with this car.
  • kluchoklucho Member Posts: 4
    I would suggest you find out WHY!!! someone traded in a '99 Tracker, the 2k Tracker is the same vehicle. I don't know what state you are in but, our lemon law has a gray area, stating the vehicle, if it is a lemon, can not be resold in "Ohio" but it does not exclude other states, and from what I have heard most state lemon laws are worded the same.

My '99 Tracker w/6k miles is going back in to the dealer AGAIN for the 8th time. On 01/03/00. The belts are slipping again!! Just had them replaced 500 miles ago. 3rd gear has already been replaced 1st and 2nd are bad now, AND I can not shift into 4 wheel drive on the fly. I have to come to a complete stop!!

My Tracker is a LEMON. I have a couple friend who have Trackers w/no problems. So who knows what the deal w/the Tracker you are looking at is. My Tracker is a 2 door convertable with no extras, just the 4 wheel drive and I only paid 14K brand new.

GOOD LUCK!
    Thank you for your assistance Klucho. When I go to the dealer I will try to find out was has been replaced, if anything. I will also try to find out why they have already gotten rid of it. I can't remember if they are allowed to give out information on who owned it before, but I would like to ask the person about this vehicle. I am very appreciative of the info you gave me. I hope if I would happen to buy this vehicle; it won't give me as much trouble as yours. I hope you can get all of your problems with it resolved.
  • jfccacjfccac Member Posts: 1
    I paid 12400 for my leftover '99 2 months ago. You might be better off buying new now because of the large (at least $2000) rebate and the urgency of the dealers to get rid of leftovers. Use the GMbuypower web site to search on the vehicle you want. That's how i found my 4x4. after locating the dealer with the vehicle you want, call them and explain you want to trade a motorcyle. I think you'll be surprised with the response!

FWIW my tracker has a cassette player and the larger engine so it wasn't stripped! sticker was 15750! they'll deal if you do your homework!
    I have had alot of fun driving my tracker; but, mine has had too many trips to the service dept. I finally had the opportunity to try the 4x4 in snow. Traction was good, but braking was not good. The Tracker tended to lock up and slide.

The heater does warm up, but the inside does not stay warm without running the heater on high all the time. The windows tend to fog up even with the defogger on.

I am still fighting my case to get a GM buyback on my car. I did not spend $17000 on a new car to be in for 8 repairs in less than 7500 miles.

If you trade is the only reason you are looking at a Tracker, I would urge you to find other options to trade the bike. Toyota has a better reputation for quality.
  • bouybouy Member Posts: 14
    I have a 99 Tracker 4door automatic. The problem is it makes a vibrations at exactly 45000 RPM when decelerating. Can any body tell me if this is normal? The dealer claims this vibration is normal due to the overdrive transmission. They said at that speed the overdrive is between gears. Chevy customer service backed them up by saying it is an integral part of the Tracker design. I feel it shouldn't vibrate and chevy is trying to brush me off!
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Member Posts: 61
    bouy, is it normal to decelerate at 4500 RPM? This is something I have never encountered with my 1999 4 door 5 speed, but then I have never even considered doing it. Why would you try it with an automatic? Give us a clue as to why you do this, and others may be able to help you out.
    My 99 tracker convertible with the automatic transmission vibrates alot. But, I have never experienced vibration from the transmission like you have described. Do not let the dealer tell you any vibration is normal. Chevrolet is trying to tell me it is normal for the tensioner pulley to rattle. It is not normal for a new car to rattle or vibrate. You have the right to demand this be fixed under warranty. If Chevy does not cooperate, call your state's Attorney General's office. Next, contact the Better Business Bureau. The phone # is in the back of your owner's manual.

Please stand up for your rights. You and I have spent too much money on our new cars to be told "they all do that".
    I went in today to see how much they would give me on trade for my motorcycle. I did a lemon check and it came back in the clear. There are 8,000 miles on the 99 tracker and it appears to be in good condition. The dealership was closed today, so I wasn't able to do out anything. I will probably go in tomorrow and drive it and check it all around. I hope they give me a good trade-in price on the bike, if not i may have to buy something cheap, for now, and look around for something more permanent in the spring.
    Is this normal ?? My mistake.

Sorry, what I really meant to say on the above is that my tracker vibrates at about 45 MPH not 4500 RPM. It only vibrates while slowing down to this speed from a higher speed, never speeding up. Example-Going from 50mph to 45MPH. Thank you cosmo2 for making sense out of what I wrote.
    Have you ever noticed any unusual squeaks, rattles or other noises while idling in gear? The noise I have had a problem with since 1300 miles comes from the fan belt area. The dealer has replaced the tensioner pulley 4 times. Each new tensioner begins to rattle or squeak within 500 miles of the repair. My greatest concern is what is destroying the tensioners. Is the cause something that may destroy my alternator and power steering pump? GM suggested all trackers may sound that way. I disagree. I don't believe any new car should make an un-natural squeak and rattle at idle. I believe this recurring problem and several other small problems will qualify this car for a lemon buyback. I only have to convince GM of this.
    Thanks for the correction. If you have not already done so, I suggest you decelerate from 50mph to 35mph with the transmission in overdrive in normal mode, then again in overdrive in power mode, then again with overdrive disengaged in normal mode, then again with overdrive disengaged in power mode, then again just one time with the transmission in neutral. Determine if there are any variations in the vibration depending on the gearing or power mode. Post your findings here and ask if anyone with a 1999 4-door auto can replicate your problem. If it looks like yours is the only one vibrating under the conditions you describe, go to the dealer and ask that the service manager demonstrate that one of the new Trackers on lot does exactly what yours does. If other Tracker automatics do the same thing as yours, I am really curious as to the engineers' logic.
    The only noise I have noticed is when I recently started the tracker on a cold morning. In neutral it will make a small wining sound but it will go away with in a couple of minutes. I attribute this to the cold belt but have'nt looked into it yet. Besides this sound the engine is perfectly quite while idling with 6000 miles on the odometer. I think the people at Chevy have lines of exscuses already made up to tell their customers, your car should not make these noises that you described. ---Good Luck!
    My Tracker will be evaluated by the arbitration board by the end of January. My task is to prove the problems with my car substantially limit the use and value of the vehicle. If I can keep my wits during the meeting, I should be successful in winning my case for a buyback.
  • nrgzrnrgzr Member Posts: 2
    I don't understand the logic of buying a used 99 Tracker when the rebates on new 99s are so high?
    I purchased a 99 in nov. and the rebate was $2500
    for the 2 door. From what I understand chevy has
    to sell 50,000 trackers a year to get its fleet
    mpg to an epa acceptable #.Do you understand what that means? They are willing to lose money on these things so they can sell Blazers, tahoes,and
    suburbans! There is no reason to buy used trackers
    This also explains why they are so unwilling to do
    a repurchase of a tracker.I betcha suzuki is the only co. making money on building and selling trackers. As for lemon law JUST DO IT! I have used
    Wa. state law for buyback twice with GMC&Saturn.
    If its a lemon then I say let em have it(back)!
    So far I love my little tracker. Its fun to drive, and I pass by other suv's at the pump.
    Mine is quite a solid little piece, no complaints
    so far.
  • 2pinecone2pinecone Member Posts: 2
    I have a 94 Sidekick with 189,000 miles and going strong. We plan to but a second vehicle. A closer dealership and 5 passenger vs. Suzuki's 4, makes Tracker a consideration. What are the differences?
    The differences between the Tracker and the Vitara are in the standard equipment and the cost of the optional equipment, 2pinecone. The base Vitara is a little bit better equipped and a little bit more expensive. The Tracker gives you multiple options, both individually and in packages. The Virara+ is a fully loaded Vitara. There is no in-between in terms of options for the Vitara. If you want a fully loaded Vitara/Tracker, the Vitara+ is the best deal financially. If you want a bare bones vehicle, the Tracker is the least expensive choice. If you want something in between, the Tracker is the only one that allows you to pick and chose your options.
  • 2pinecone2pinecone Member Posts: 2
    Thanks cosmo2. That is the info I need. Since I rack up miles quickly, I am looking for no frills,
    prioritizing economy and reliability.
  • wldhairwldhair Member Posts: 5
    My lease is up on my 98 silverado and I'm thinking of down sizing to either a S-10 v-6 4x4 -- or a Tracker ( 2 daughters in college is the reason why-- need to save some money) buy or lease S-10 or tracker comes out about the same money wise -- does the tracker have a six available?? need some help here!! have to decide within the next 2 days
    By the way__ I loved the silverado!! GREAT truck
    If your choice is between a Tracker and an S-10, I'd go with the Toyota Tacoma. Seriously, I had a 1996 S-10. The only real complaints was the lack of traction in the 2wd and lack of space in the regular cab.

I traded the S-10 for a 1999 Tracker. I will go to the Better Business Bureau Arbitration meeting this Thursday to fight for the lemon law. I have had to be in the shop too many times for repairs. I still have less than 9k miles on the car.

My tracker convertible was really fun in the summer when I could put the top down. The 4wd is good on snow. The brakes do not stop the car well on dry or wet.

But, my only concern now is how reliable will the car be after the warranty runs out if it has had so many repairs already.
  • wldhairwldhair Member Posts: 5
    thanks for the input tim98-- The S-10 I'm looking at is a 2000 v-6 4x4 ext cab-- drove it yesterday, seem to have pleny of power --extended cab is small campared to Silverado--- but so is the payment -- Tracker is large 4 cyl auto-- is slightly less than S-10-- but much more room than S-10--- what kind of prob with your Tracker -- serious stuff or little things that just piss ya off?
  • brosen1953brosen1953 Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if anyone knows whether the dealer installed accessories available for the Vitara/Grand Vitara, notably the center armrest, will also fit the Tracker. Thanks
  • ddssjsk9ddssjsk9 Member Posts: 36
    Less than 6,000 miles. Been in the shop for brake light switch, two different times for right rear wheel seal leaking, two times for vibration when brakes applied, bumping noise under vehicle, multiple squeaks and rattles. All repaired. Gave up on dealer and repaired squeaks and rattles myself. I still have a nagging problem for which I can not get resolved after three attempts. Vibration at 35-40 mph and 55-60 mph. under light throttle. Some times very intense. Vibrations intense enough that you feel it in the seat, floor, steering wheel, makes windows and dash buzz at times. Chevrolet tells dealer this is a normal condition and vehicle is operating as designed, therefore dealer will not attempt to repair. I am fileing for Lemon buy back. I would like to have written comments from any of you who would like to comment, positive or negative on your Tracker. Please include your name and email address along with vin number and mileage. Please
    mail to.

Tracker
    P.O. Box 2282
    Russellville, Ar. 72811
    or Email me ddssjsk9@troi.com
    Any comments would be appreciated.

Thank You
    Chevy cannot seem to fix the tensioner pulley problem. Chevy has worked on the tensioner 4 times and still cannot fix the rattling. The fuel gauge has been repaired once. The brake light switch has been recalled. And, the engine had a bad mis-fire problem that has cleared up, but not really been fixed by gm. All of this has occurred before 6400 miles. I meet with the arbitration board in the morning. I believe the car qualifies as a lemon.
  • kandresenkandresen Member Posts: 1
    Bought 99 2dr 4WD Tracker in May. First problem immediately was noise from canvas top (finally resolved when dealer gave 2000 version which fit tighter). No other big things until it got cold (MN) then grating noise when car was in motion, but noise went away when car warmed up. After 3+ weeks of in and out with service department, they decided both front left & right ball bearing packs had never been initially lubed so in cold they grated. Solved when added packed with lubricant. Latest has been grinding noise again from front - again only in cold. I haven't taken it in yet.
  • buychevbuychev Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know of a tracker forum for technical questions ?
  • buychevbuychev Member Posts: 2
    Sorry if this is question is a bit off topic...

The tracker...

Purchased 99 4dr/4wd/autotran last Sep. Only 4K miles so far. No problems whatsoever. Love the thing. It is red...our daughters call it the "tomato".

Why did we buy it...had the GM card at 7 year limit...it was the only small vehicle (in the market for small) that would accommodate my sitting in back seat...without head hitting the headliner...thought it was cute...that was basically all that went into the choice...plus able to negotiate very close to invoice.

The question...

Only problem is of own doing...lost one of the supplied key fobs (I think that is what they call them). Checked dealer...replacement is $39 or $49...then they want $15 more to program it. Does anyone have a FSM (factory service manual). Does it cover how to program the key fob? I will eventually get the FSM...been trying to get one for less than the $40 from dealer...thru ebay...they do show up every once in a while there...just been to cheap on my bidding so far to land one...
  • ddssjsk9ddssjsk9 Member Posts: 36
    How is your Tracker buy back progressing. I have filed, arbitration pending. Do you know of anyone
    who has received a successful buyback?

ddssjsk9
    The buy back process has been interesting. I had my arbitration meeting. I was prepared with three ring binders filled with detailed reports prefacing each repair bill. I had a detailed article explaining the function of the drivebelt system. I had several articles re-defining the lemon law. And, I had about a dozen receipts for car rentals because I am afraid to run up miles on this piece of junk.

GM did not even show up. The BBB said GM would have 7 days to send a written presentation. GM sent it in on the 8th. ( The BBB accepted the late presentation. ) The GM presentation was hand-written and was dated Feb 3, 2003. GM's facts were directly contradicting to the written repair tickets.

I should hear the arbitraitor's answer any day now.
  • josh327josh327 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a new tracker. I think a used '99. I just got back from pricing out a new 2000. I am going to trade in my '97 cavalier. I really like the ride quality. Also the supportiveness of the seats are outstanding (compared to my cav). I really like the roominess and the outlay of the dash. So does any one have any imput on the new trackers? Are they worth the money? The only thing that I dont care for is the lack of power, however it is smooth consistant power. And a very sharp vehicle.
  • erik19erik19 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 92-94 tracker and i am wondering how good the 4wd is in deep snow.
    Think "RAV4"

The extra money spent would be well worth it.
  • allan36allan36 Member Posts: 2
    In response to your question if new Trackers are worth the money , I would say yes . just bought 2000 Tracker ,4wd ,4dr, auto. Rides great ,plenty of power ,roomy ,good control steering , and especially the front hood slopes downward so you have better view of road . If you really serious about purchased new Tracker , ask your dealer about GM "Smart Buy " program , you get $1650 rebate and %4.25 rate. Hard to find matching rate . will drop by later , good luck on your choice
    Allan36,
    I just hope you don't have to spend as much time taking your tracker to the shop as I have. I only have 9,000 miles on my car and it has had more repairs than my last 3 cars. And, I have not abused the car or driven it beyond normal use.
  • allan36allan36 Member Posts: 2
    Tim98,
    thank you , sorry to hear about your misfortune , it s probably why i havent trade my 89 S-10 truck in when i bought my Tracker last week . So what is your assesment of your Tracker ? do you fault Chevy for the defects on your vehicle , or was the Service Dept. work was poor quality ? Appreciate your time .
  • kimlloyd2kimlloyd2 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 4x4 Tracker has only 2000 miles on it, but so far, I am really impressed with the vehicle. Plenty of power and room for adults. The ride is solid and quiet. Workmanship good. Many little things add up to a great vehicle. However, my idler arm bearing went out after 200 miles, but the dealer experience was excellent. Would I buy another 2000 four door, 4x4 Tracker? Yes, Yes, Yes!
  • mgwrealmgwreal Member Posts: 1
    I AM LOOKING AT A 2000 TRACKER. I HAVE GM POINTS,
    QUALIFY FOR THE GM LOYALTY AND GRADUATING STUDENT
    INCENTIVES, CAN ANYONE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIER TRACKER EXPERIENCE??
    Based on my experience, buy an s-10. I had an s-10 before my tracker and had far fewer headaches.
  • dentowndentown Member Posts: 1
    I've had a Tracker and Metro since 1998. Tracker has been ok, except for third gear going out in the standard transmission (replaced) and dealer refusal to fix the window defroster on the optional fiberglass top (although they sold it to me,they claim it is aftermarket).

Metro. Not a peep. Anemic, great mileage, but I have some confidence in that one.

Had a 1997 S-10. Built in Shreveport, probably on a Friday night. Assemblers must have been on something - driveline cast out of true, gas gauge quit, emissions problems, overheating, brake pads wore out at 20,000 MILES. Junk. Period. Had it for 58 weeks, 8 of which are in shop. Traded "down" for Tracker. GM has heard from me, and they're pretty lukewarm. Lots of sympathy, not much resolution. GM should be ashamed, no wonder the Rangers and imports are kicking their butt. Loyalty is akin to insanity (doing the same thing over and over (buying GM) expecting a different result.) - even with their incentives. (Wonder if they'll call me now??)

Dennis T.
  • roland8roland8 Member Posts: 5
    Are there any 1999 Tracker owners here, and if so do you have a problem with hard idle in the morning. Not upon starting the vehicle but when you come to a stop. Just wondering, mine does this all the time, and not just mornings. Suggestions much appreciated.

MT

P.S. What if any performance mods exist for 99+ Trackers w/2.0 I4. Not that its bad, though needs more low end power.
  • seth11seth11 Member Posts: 5
    I owned a 90 Tracker LSi (Then it was a Geo). I sold it 6 mos ago for a 91 Toyota 4Runner. I miss my little convertible dearly. I feel like I am in a confessionary chat room, not a car chat room.
    The experience was great, drove it to 130k and had relatively few problems with it. Always got 20-25 mpg,(4Runner=15mpg) even lugging around the heavy 4WD equipment, and I drove it hard. Of course, you have to get power out of the sewing machine engine somehow, and flogging was the way to go. Sold it to an old couple towing it behind their motor home, off to retire in Colorado, not a thing wrong with it. Put $1000 into the 4Runner the first month. To answer Roland's question, that is what got me started on this tangent, Check with a company called Calmini.(www.calmini.com) They specialize in aftermarket parts for Suzuki/Geo products. (Hopefully someone told you that ain't no Chevy) I bought and installed their exhaust kit combo which included the header pipe and a cat back exhaust system.
    The kit was definately not an exact fit as they might claim, but the extra power it afforded made all the cussing and busted knuckles worth it. The Tracker wasn't blowing the doors off of Mustangs and Camaros, but the guy next to you in that Metro would be no match for you anymore.
  • seth11seth11 Member Posts: 5
    If Calmini does offer that kit for your truck and you do buy it, let an exhaust shop install it.
    Refer to #176 and #177 in Edmunds topic #1886.
  • surovjaksurovjak Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 99 Tracker 4dr 4wd manual. I have had problems with the belt tensioner, the transmission, and the brake switch, to name a few. I have had it in the shop for an excess of 20 days since I bought it in late July. I have just over 15000 miles on it and will be taking it back for synchronizer problems again. I have been getting treated well by the service department but am getting tired of seeing them on such a frequent basis. I would love to hear from anyone who is getting frustrated with the quality of their vehicle and what GM is doing to make this vehicle right.

My email is ehoesc_ds@noeca.org