Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota on the mend?

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Is building in France much cheaper, though?

I'm surprised they don't build them in Mexico or in the southern US.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    Well you've probably seen all the headlines about the imminent implosion of the euro zone, with Greece to abandon ship first. This has totally suppressed the value of the euro, to the point where yes, the exchange rate to export from Europe is much better than the yen exchange rate to export from Japan, for Toyota.

But you're not wrong - manufacturing in Mexico or the South, or even China would be much better. But Mexican or Chinese manufacturing would also end my interest in any further Toyotas....the quality simply isn't there.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Short-term, that's true, but by the time the factory has an output of cars, who knows?
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,950
    Can't see much upside in the Euro zone in the near future. When Greece finally settles, we still have Spain, Italy, Portugal, etc.

French labor isn't known to be cheap though, nor prone to working long hours.
    Did I just hear a 6th country was in trouble in the news, or did I imagine that?

Won't be easy...
    The whole thing is a disaster from the beginning, and that doesn't even touch on the sovereignty-stealing micromanaging nannystate regulations. Too many of the nations simply have work ethics and development that aren't compatible.
    Look on the bright side...if they can't sell all those diesels in Europe, maybe we'll see a few more choices here.
    I'm just waiting for the Euro to collapse a bit more so I can take a nice vacation :shades:

For the diesels, sadly, if the market there contracts, development might slow or stop completely, as they are the main consumer.
    The Brazilian Real took a nice hit so you know where my vacation will be this summer...

For a long, long time it was the dollar taking the pounding. Not now.
    If we can get a sustained period under $1.20, there's a chance I will be in Germany this fall. And next year might even be better, maybe I should just save.

I think some might see they have been too pessimistic about the US...the positives still outweigh the negatives here, even with issues of late.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,196
    I believe it's Cyprus.
    Bingo, heard it on the radio this AM. Seems like every other day a new country jumps on the bailout wagon.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/26/scion-iq-fails-dearly-to-impress-consumer-rep- orts/

They slammed the iQ, their second lowest score.

Ironically it best its only competitors, the ForTwo! :D

Must be a bias. ;)
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,252
    Someone needs to switch to high desert camping.

A little Bondo and that'll be good as new.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

That'll buff right out... :D
    "After a terrible recent upturn in warranty costs directly linked to safety recalls and virtual hysteria over allegedly out-of-control throttles, Toyota's claims payments are now almost back to where they were in the fiscal year ended March 31, 2008."

After a couple of bad years, warranty costs at Toyota are getting back to normal (Warranty Week)

edited July 2012
    Thanks to Gagrice for posting this elsewhere on the site:

Toyota Prius Escapes Niche to Surge Into Global Top Three (Bloomberg)

"The Prius line topped other high-volume car models including Hyundai Motor Co. (005380)’s Elantra, Volkswagen AG’s Golf, Ford’s Fiesta, General Motor Co.’s Cruze and Honda Motor Co.’s Civic, according to the companies.

“It’s the phenomenon we saw with Chrysler and minivans: It brought out the first minivan and after all these years, Chrysler still is minivan sales leader,” he said. “Prius was the first hybrid on the block.”

Kind of funny that the Prius "brand" has accomplished what Scion was supposed to do.

edited July 2012
    Also kind of funny that Prius continues to receive the accolades for what Honda was ACTUALLY the first to do: bring out a hybrid. Who here remembers the Insight Mk I? :-)

But in a way Honda shot themselves in the foot by making their first hybrid an ultra-weird-looking, not-very-practical, 2-seat coupe. Prius was the first livable hybrid, even if with four seats and doors it was still tiny and very very slow.

What amuses me is that if they just designed regular gas-powered models to be as slow as Priuses, they could come very close to the Prius's stratospheric fuel economy without all the gadgetry and added expense. The Prius V is like TWELVE SECONDS 0-60 mph and a quarter mile in TWENTY, all to make 40 mpg....make a regular gas-powered wagon with a small low-powered engine and you would get mid-30s mpg for $5000 less in asking price......

edited July 2012
    Mid 30s. Around town too?

The 40 MPG Club club (gasses only, no hybrids) is growing but I don't think any of them are as big as the Prius V.

Going to the group that gets 35 to 45, per Motor Trend, of the 16 they list (all gassers and hybrids, and several that don't appear to meet the criteria), six are hatchbacks.

Toss the small Volt hatch and the iQ and the CR-Z, and you wind up with the Insight (Honda learned, no rear wheel skirts :) ), the CT 200h and the V.

So, what other mid-30s cars am I missing? Going from a minivan, I'd like to keeps something relative in size to my old Outback. Diesel isn't an option in this household.

Slow it may be, but the Prius owns the market at this point. I think one of my links said it was the Caravan of hybrids (Caravan "invented" the minivan and still sells the most 30 years later).

Oh, we went from a 100 hp Voyager to the '99 Quest and it does 0 to 60 in 11.1 seconds. Felt peppy from day one and still feels fast (it's torquey off the line, which help the illusion of speed. 170 lb.ft. vs 153 for the V).

Moving back to the mountains could be a concern and you definitely have my interest if I can save $5,000 or more. Looking at ~$31k OTD for a V Three.

The one I really want to see is the new C-Max.

• fezofezo Posts: 9,383
    What? Are you getting happy feet again???
    Heh, by the time the minivan really dies, someone will be selling a neutrino synergistic drive that you gas up once. It's tough having to read Chronic Car Buyers all the time (looks like Stick is ready to dump the Odyssey...sigh).

I didn't say they made one now - they would have to make gas-powered models as slow as hybrids, and then yes, mid-30s as a combined average rather than a highway estimate.

It's funny that hybrids get a pass for being as slow as they are, and no-one seems to notice that they are much slower than almost everything else on the market. Makes you wonder why someone doesn't just design a slow-small-engined car powered only by gasoline, stick some sort of green badge on it, and wipe out the hybrid market by undercutting it in price.

That would be the Echo. :shades:

Meanwhile the EV crowd is pushing how fast you can go. 0 to 60 in 4.4 fast enough for you? 443 lb.ft.? (WSJ)

edited July 2012
    Results are in and Toyota increased its retail sales by 55% over the same month a year ago. But for me that's not the big news, the Big 7's fleet sales as a percentage of their total sales is.

In June, 98% of Honda sales were retail, and 91% of Toyota's.

By contrast a full THIRD of GM and Ford sales were to fleets, and a quarter of all Chrysler sales.

In retail sales Toyota is very close to GM's sales pace, and well beyond that of any other automaker including Ford (and Honda).

http://www.autonews.com/article/20120716/RETAIL01/307169935/1422

It's funny that hybrids get a pass for being as slow as they are

The volume Prius isn't really slow for what it is - some mags hit 60 in the low 9s.

Diesel fans brag about an 80mpg Polo TDI and then defend the 14 second 0 to 60 as adequate.

For a fuel miser, I don't think the Prius is slow. Nor does it feel slow off the line, with the instant torque from the electric motor (vs diesel turbo lag).

I think the idea of the Prius being slow has more to do with the driver behind the wheel trying to optimize fuel economy, and then it's a stereotype that just reinforces itself. Every time you see a Prius crawling it makes you think they're all that way.

Remember Al Gore Junior got nailed for going over 100mph on the highway?

LOL
    Toyota to expand production of Lexus RX in Canada

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20120724/OEM01/120729961#ixzz21Zl2peek
    Toyota had incredible results in June but I was on a sunny beach in Brazil so who cares. :shades:

Hey, I did see an UBER cool Toyota while down there. My brother is a judge and his best bud is as well. His buddy owns a Hilux SW4, but it's fully armored! The thing was a BEAST! I opened the windows, which only go down half way, and they were more than an inch thick. Bullet proof.

The conversion was amazing because I had *no* idea until I opened the window, then asked.

He's a labor law judge, and he's honest (unacceptable in a bribe-filled country). So you can imagine when his hammer drops either rich businessmen or poor workers are mad at him, so he doesn't take any chances.
    edited July 2012
    How can someone honest even become a judge in the paragon of ethics and human rights that is modern Brasil? :shades: I mean seriously though, they aren't elected, right? I'd wager probably 90% of the political/ruling class there probably deserves what they'd get if there were no such things as armored cars.

No Prius clogging the left lanes down there, I bet.