Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• _texasgirlie_texasgirlie Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2002 Tracker 4 Dr, and am now searching for the brush guard and fog lamps as well as the tubular side steps. Are the tubular side steps the only running board type option I have? I would appreciate any help finding these items.
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    I answered this in the accessory site. Go to

www.Suzukiauto.co. The accessories are compatible to the Tracker and a great selection.
  • cschapincschapin Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 Tracker with 50K that has been remarkably reliable. Recently I noticed that it was becoming increasingly difficult to steer. The fluid levels and belts are fine,as is the tire pressure. At 50K I don't think it should be the rack. Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions. Thanks, Wildfire
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Member Posts: 61
    If your rig is a 4WD, try putting it up on a rack with the transfer case in 2WD and determine if both front wheels are free-wheeling. Also, have you had your alignment checked?
    Both front wheels are free-wheeling. I have not had the alignment checked. However, the Tracker does not pull to either side. It goes down the road perfectly straight.
    I replaced my condenser last week and spent some time talking with the Firestone service manager who did the work himself, and since then I've been looking at the old condenser trying to figure out how the damage occurred. (Okay, so business has been slow.) The service manager, who has been a good friend for fifty years and a mechanic for forty years, believes that the damage was caused by a combination of recurring ice build up and high air pressure inside the auxiliary fan shroud. We noted that the fin damage extends outward to the foam gasket on the rear edge of the fan shroud, at least a quarter inch beyond the end of the fan blades. Also, the fan blades showed no indication of ever touching the condenser, and, in fact, the way the fan blades are shaped, the hub of the fan would have to bore halfway through the condenser before the fan blades could ever touch the condenser. The fins are damaged in a doughnut shaped pattern with a six-inch diameter center with NO damage. The fins are not bent in any one direction, but rather appear to have collapsed upon each other in different directions, as if pushed straight back toward the radiator. The undamaged fins are soft and bend easily. The damaged fins are brittle and crumble to the touch. There is no evidence of rocks, dirt, or insect parts in the damaged area.

I did not install a perforated aluminum sheet between the fan and the new condenser as I had originally planned. I am afraid ice and snow could build up on the aluminum sheet and damage the fan when I turn on the defrost. Instead, I placed two washers on each of the four fan assembly mounting bolts to move the fan assemble 1/8" more forward of the condenser, then I removed the foam gasket from the fan shroud. That leaves a 1/4" gap between the fan shroud and the condenser. Thus, there is no additional air flow restriction, but excess air pressure is allowed to escape around the circumference of the fan shroud. I am amazed at how much air is blowing out of that 1/4" gap when the electric fan is on, so the air pressure with the gasket in place must have been high, especially at freeway speeds. Hopefully, this will also reduce ice and snow build-up within the fan shroud.

I really doubt that driving in rain at high speed could have caused the damage, because the fan blades would turn rain drops into a spray. I know that rocks and insects did not cause the damage to my condenser because the front of my Tracker is unmarked, and I use a mask with bug-screen from Spring to Fall. Besides, anything flying through the small rectangular grill openings could not cause that damage pattern.

Since I live in Washington state, and the two other people who reported similar damage live in Michigan and Nebraska, this problem may be unique to some specific winter driving conditions. Either that, or a lot of Tracker and Vitara owners have the problem but haven't found it yet.

By the way, my air conditioning is a whole lot more effective now.
    The good news is the Hard Steering was not a problem with the steering unit or rack. Along the steering column are two U.-joint connections (visible in the engine compartment). These joints do not have grease fittings and should be maintenance free....however, they had become corroded (I live in snow/salt country). My mechanic lubricated these with Liquid Wrench while his assistant moved the steering wheel. Works like a charm. Wildfire
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    please!
  • starpusherstarpusher Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 ZR2 and I would like to find a "good" fitting hardtop that is relatively easy to put on and take off. Any information would be appreciated.
  • infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    recently, the wife and kids and i were 4 wheeling, looking at old indian battle sites in wy, when the third brake lite fell off! it was a pain to undo the clip so that it didn't have to dangle by the wires for the 60 mile trip home. and also, recently we've had the right strut and a ball joint replaced to cure a loud creaking noise in the front suspension. it seemed to have worked. and just today the dealer had to replace the driver door stops. it made a cracking noise when opened and wouldn't stay open on its own. now we're looking at an extended warranty. but we still love the truck and plan on keeping it for a while!
    tough little hamsters.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    i had that same creaking sound that you described, but mine was coming from both struts. So i drove it on my ramps, and lubed all the contact points, and the sound went away and has never been heard of since.
    i have a 99 2-door 4x4 tracker, and yesterday we got pounded with alot of snow. So i finally had a chance to use the 4x4 on the roads, in the snow. It has always been great Off-Road. But i never seen how it was in winter conditions. That little tracker was like a tank!! Now i do have BFGOODRICH all-terrain, tires. But i was driving through that snow like it wasnt there. There was this onebig hill where a lincoln Navigator was sliding at the rear end.. and i passed him up smiling.!!! lol Then he tried to catch up to me. But he just kept on fish-tailing. But any tracker owner who wants extra traction, should check out them tires. they are worth it
    are tough little buggers!

Kudos to you for getting one and may it run long and well for you!

http://www.geocities.com/benjamin_380xd/
    Chris, the traction in snow that you recently experienced is characteristic of these rigs regardless of the rubber they wear. A light weight and low torque rig will out climb an overpowered heavyweight on ice and snow any day. I first noticed this in my 1995 Sidekick, and my 1999 Tracker is just as good. This is the reason I did not buy a Grand Vitara: Too much torque breaks tires loose from the ice. I still have the original tires on my rig, and the snow we had this week was no problem. I bet you used a lot less gas going straight up the hill than the Navigator did wiggling up the hill, too.
  • woody72woody72 Member Posts: 73
    I replaced my original Uniroyal Tiger Paws P205/75R15 with the BFGoodrich All Terrain TA/KO LT215/75R15 and have seen my gas mileage plummet from 24.5 to 21.5 with the same type of driving. Albeit there is no comparison between these tires, the BFs are super duty, heavy lug design, I was surprised at the size of the loss in gas mileage. I even took it to Chevy (still under warranty) to make sure I wasn't missing something which I wasn't. Anybody else experience this great a difference when switching to the BFs?
    when you switch to the bigger size tire like that you have to expect some sort of lose in mileage. and people who usually use that type of tire aren't looking for gas mileage, they are most so looking for traction. I am surprised the dealer didn't tell you that.. you went up 2 sizes..
  • mlcollinsmlcollins Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at buying a 2002 tracker ZR2 2 door loaded.It is brand new at a dealership and they are asking 13,399 do you think this is a good price for this vehicle.

We have two older trackers that we like alot but I want the wife in a new car and I really like driving the small SUV's over a car any day I'm just wondering what others are paying for new trackers.We live in southeast michigan.
    now i may be wrong. but for a new 2002 tracker $13,399, sounds way way too cheap. is it ONLY 2 wheel drive. cause you can't just assume that it is 4x4 especially at that price. and with it being a ZR2. and you said it was loaded too.. Either it was a re-po. or a 2-wheel drive. But that is just my thoughts..
    I took it for a test drive and it is loaded power everything tilt wheel, cruise, power windows, power locks, auto, air, am/fm cd(ZR2 model).

It does sound like a very low price and it is new (only 31 miles on it-after my test drive)the sticker price is $20,510.advertized price is $13,399
    if it is 4x4, then you would be crazy NOT to jump on that deal.. "b4 someelse does! $20K sounds more like what the price should be. and if you can get it for $13-$14K then run forest run!! lol that is one of the best deals i have ever heard of.
  • ckyeungckyeung Member Posts: 9
    mlcollins,
    Here is the deal I can find at my local dealer (Upstate NY):
    Brand new 2002 4x4 4-door ZR2, yellow, v6, cruise, power windows, rack, skid plates, cd, tilt (I believe they are all stardard equipment of the ZR2 trim)
    Price: $15,999

So even though yours is a 2-door model, it seems that it is pretty good deal!

Happy tracker-ing!!
    Sounds like a good deal...go for it...and enjoy the ride.
  • leon_njleon_nj Member Posts: 1
    Went to St. John, V.I. and I never saw so many Trackers and Sidekicks in one place. Also Wranglers, for the more well-to-do. The island is mostly undeveloped, thanks to Lawrence Rockefeller, and a trip into the interior hills made me hold my breath a few times, I must admit. The roads are paved, but narrow and real steep in parts, with no switchbacks. Wild goat herds and donkeys hang out, so you need to be alert rounding curves, especially downhill (they don't move until they feel like it). Actually, I rented a Wrangler 'cause I never tried one, left it in 2WD (better traction on paved roads), no top, warm day...what fun.

Thought you guys would like to know that trackers/sidekicks are the most popular cars in this part of the world. I assume the reason is their practical performance and economical operation.
    I took a major hit on the interstate, bent the rim, ruined the tire and made it to FL in one piece!

THese are tough little rigs!
    We got the 2002 ZR2 tracker for $13,399 I waited untill december 31 to get it but we got it.
    What a nice little ride (4x4,auto,ac,pw,pl,cd,tilt,cruise,delayed wiper)and I bought the extended warranty for it,added expense but worth it I think.I want to get a hard top for it before next winter.
    You will get many years of good service from your rig.
    A co worker owns a 1994 model with 156K on the clock.
    Its still running fine. WIll go anywhere and turn on a dime and give you nine cents worth of change!
  • bjblue111bjblue111 Member Posts: 5
    I brought 2002 tracker and am very disapointed in it. I had a 19994 Ford Explorer I traded in on this. I am having real problems with keeping it on the road when there is high winds. I live in florida and today we had very strong winds. Nearly rolled over. I am wondering if I have bigger tires put on if this would help. I am 75 and am a little afraid to drive when it is windy on highways. Can large tires be put on and if so what is involved. Would appreciate any input. Thanks. Betty
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Checking the tire pressures to make sure they are at the recommended specs would be a start.

Steve, Host
    never assume that the factory has performed the alignment correctly.
    And, like the previous post, check your tire pressure.
    Thanks Mopar67- Had the car in and they did alignment and wheel balance. I was having problem with vibrateing also. bjblue111
    Thanks Steve.
     Had that done. Does not help.
    Thanks
    First, the good news. Trackers are more stable in high winds than 1963 VW microbuses. The bad news is that these rigs are light, are rear wheel drive on the highway, have a short wheelbase, have a high center of gravity, and are not very aerodynamic. Larger tires, as in wider and taller, will raise the center of gravity and put the rig up there where it can catch more wind, thus increasing any risk of roll over. Wide low profile tires will add to steering effort and improve cornering traction, thus increasing the roll over risk because the rig will not skid as easily if you take a corner too fast. Wide low profile tires also stiffen the ride, and these rigs already communicate road surface characteristics to the occupants very effectively. The only positive suggestions I can offer short of trading for a FWD or AWD mini-SUV (read all-weather tall little station wagon) or back to a larger, heavier SUV are to avoid using your roof racks (or even better, remove them if you have them) and drive slower in the wind. Trackers are well-built, economical, and maneuverable rigs that excel as off-road SUV's and around town runabouts. They are not designed to be freeway cruisers. If the wind is blowing strong enough to tip over a stationary or slow moving vehicle, is the trip really all that necessary?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Larger tires, as in wider and taller, will raise the center of gravity and put the rig up there where it can catch more wind, thus increasing any risk of roll over.

Just raising the center of gravity doesn't necessarily make a vehicle less stable. It's the ratio of the height of the COG to the width that matters. E.g., H2s have a quite high COG but aren't known for their tendency to rollover. They have a very wide base.

Also, why would a vehicle "catch more wind" merely by being raised? I don't see how an inch or two change in height could have any effect on susceptibility to wind.

tidester, host
    I admit that if Betty installs spacers and reverses her rims and adds monster fender flares it would widen the base of her rig and reduce it's roll over risk even if she uses taller tires. I guess it's up to her whether she would like the way her Tracker handles and looks with such a modification. Or she could fasten lead weights under the Tracker's frame to lower the vehicle's center of gravity. Do you have a more practical suggestion as to how she could do this?

In regards to increased height effecting susceptibility to wind, you got me again. I'll have to defer to the auto designers who over the years reduced ground clearance and lowered roof height by only inches and fractions of an inches to supposedly reduce turbulence and improve stability. Could it be that lowering Cd a few points has no real effect? It's all just a marketing farce? Or, I suppose it is indeed very possible that the physics that apply to sedan and sports car aerodynamics don't apply to SUV's, even when SUV's are driven at highway speeds in strong cross winds.

The point is, Trackers do not handle well at highway speeds in strong cross winds. It is inherent in the design. Reasonable modifications to the vehicle will not really resolve Betty's concerns. In fact, modifications she may make to address her concerns about driving in the wind may adversely effect her vehicle's performance under other, more common, driving conditions.

If I am way off base here, give me some answers. I would love to be able to modify an old VW hippie bus so I could drive it through the Columbia Gorge on a groovy day to watch the wind surfers without getting white knuckles and aching biceps.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    For the record - I am Tidester! Steve is my cohost - we are not the same person!

My previous comments were in response to your assertions regarding using larger tires. The change in COG and height resulting from larger tires just isn't that large and I was questioning whether the effect on rollover resistance and susceptibility to wind would be significant.

tidester, host
    Thank you all for answering my questions. I am a little afraid to go far distances on the highway and am very careful since getting this tracker. I had thought about putting weights inside of back seat and I did not know I could put them on tires. I will look into that. I never thought about the wind making it worse with bigger tires. Thanks again. If I could I would trade it in. I really hate this tracker.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The tire weights are just small pieces of metal that clamp to the wheels and are used to balance the tires. Sometimes they fall off, so it's a good idea to rebalance the tires periodically. That would be good to check along with your alignment to make sure the Tracker is "tracking" right.

Having loose objects in the back of the car isn't such a great idea since that stuff can fly around if you do have a fender bender. If you decide to go that route, I'd stick with small sandbags and maybe even try to tie them to something back there.

Good luck!

Steve, Host
  • ladyfrenchfriladyfrenchfri Member Posts: 1
    Not to change the subject, but...

I have moved to the Eastern Sierra and am looking to purchase a small, American (but not a ford), four-wheel-drive, gas economical, RELIABLE, vehicle. The Tracker sounded like the perfect car, but, going to Consumer Reports, JD Powers, and Edmunds, they are not impressed with them. I have no way to readily go for a realistic test drive due to my location. I do not do a lot of 'off road' travel, but as you probably know, the snow here can come down very thick and very fast. I wanted good gas mileage because I work for two counties and spend a lot of time on roads that can get very bad very quickly. If the Tracker is not the right car, what is?

Thanks in advance.
    but the tracker IS the right car! NEver mind CR and edmunds, they have their own criteria which may or may not coincide with what you are looking for.
    For the record, here in W PA, trackers, kicks, and vitaras are quite common place. A co worker has a 94 two door soft top. It has 160K on there and still goes. I have seen and ridden in it when it was -10 and 9 inches of snow on the ground and it went right along with no problem Plus, it literally ran me out of there because it was so hot!
    I own a Vitara with 12K on the clock. Bought it new April of 2002. Never had one issue except for a bad alternator. It goes very well in snow too, even with the lousy stock uniroyal tires. However, tires are an easy fix.
    Trackers and Vitaras come with a real 4WD setup. This is much more reliable and less costly to fix than the AWD setups used by other makers of SUVs.
    I would without a doubt recommend you get a tracker or vitara, since they are literally the same rig. Suzuki has a 7 year 100K powertrain warranty so that should alleviate any misgivings you may have about reliability. As stated earlier, there are many trackers here in PA and some look very pristine others have some rust. But all of them are running like champs most over 100K.
    Go with what works best for you.....however, I take issue with Edmunds, CR and JD powers.....as I have real world observations to conclude otherwise.
  • 1badsidekick1badsidekick Member Posts: 135
    Hi, I know this is supposed to be for the Tracker, but there are no Sidekick forums, and the Sidekick and previous generation Tracker are identical twins. I have a 98 Sidekick Sport, 4 dr, 1.8 liter, 4wd. I have had it since 10/99, got it as an off lease, with 14,600 miles. I really liked the car when I first got it, but I have had several problems with it. Premature wearing of front brakes, premature wearing of tires (both replaced at 24k), entire new rear end at 34k, was with out the car for 3 months on that one. Last spring the clutch went out, but luckily it was only a metal plate that had to be replaced. Also, I had such things happen as the grill falling out on the freeway while cruising at 70 mph, paint falling off the front bumper at 20k, and most recently, a soaking wet (and stinking) interior due to a hole in the drivers side floor. I've been wanting to trade it off, but it still gives me hope, and its the best thing in snow I've ever seen. Can you guys offer me any hope for this car, maybe another 50 or 60 thousand miles of hope? I could use it. Have Tracker's had similar problems? I've already been offered $5500 on trade in for a '00 Mountaineer, and I'm about ready to take it. What do you think? Let me know, thanks!!!
    A co worker owns a 94 tracker with 163K on the odo.
    Its still running, no rust.
    Has replaced the clutch, the trans (due to him not fixing clutch in time), shocks & struts, and brakes.
    One emissions control valve also.
    Everything else is OEM.
    The tracker, kick, and vitara are the same rigs under the sheetmetal..so comments to one pretty much apply to all.
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Member Posts: 271
    the trans (due to him not fixing clutch in time),

That doesn't make any sense. You can drive the vehicle until the clutch fails completely and it won't hurt the tranny.

Now, driving poorly could lead to premature clutch failure and tranny failure.
    gear due to clutch not releasing fully:)
    When gears grind, bad things are soon to follow.
    It seems as though the early to mid '90s model trackers/kicks were better than the last ones. I have a cousin who had a '90 model, run it into the ground, literally. It died when he wrapped it around a telephone pole, but that thing was dern near indestructable. Thats why I got my Sidekick, expecting the same kind of greatness, but I may have taken a trip to the Lemon tree. I was just wanting to know if anyone else had problems like mine, mentioned in post #664, in either trackers or sidekicks. Thanks.
    i have a 1999 2-door tracker. and here in W. PA this little thing has been a tank. i have been able to pass by big heavy expensive Suv's with no problem. One thing that i will say that has made my tracker even more so of a tank was when i installed New tires. the tires i choose were B.F. GOODRICH (all-terrain). 215-70-15. The difference in traction was drastic! here is an example.. I take my tracker off-road. and there was certain area's where i had to be in 4x4. but after i got these (all-terrain) tires i was able to drive the same places in 2-Wheel Drive!! no lie! that is how noticeable it was. plus after installing these tires, my tracker seems to hold the road better too.
    Glad yours is performing well for you!
  • jmummeryjmummery Member Posts: 11
    What purpose do you want this vehicle to serve?
    If you want a real truck in a tiny package then the Vitara is for you. If you want the most options and the smoothest ride for the money then this car is not for you[not a car review kind of car]
    The people who write car reviews really don't know anything about machines at all. All they understand is what they feel and what they think is important. There is alot more to making a good machine than that.
    80 Vw's are a good case in point. The car reviewers said blah,blah but these are the cars that go to 300k mi reliably, use no gas, have interiors that don't fall apart.......
    Rely on reliability and longevity history to make your decision.
    I live in Saskatchewan Canada, we have bad winters. My Vitara does well in deep snow with Goodrich A/T 215/70 R16 tires. The only real complaints I have are:
    -At -40 all the plastic rattles worse than other peoples cars.
    -The fuel economy is not "Honda" level and degrades rapidly with colder temperatures
    -The gearbox is relly stiff in extreme cold
    I have a '98 Sidekick, and I'm running the same size tires as yours. It calls for 215/65/R16, but I put 215/70s on it when I replaced the stock Bridgestones at 24k. How do you like the Goodrich tires? What do they look like? I want something with white letter or OWL. Right now I have Dunlop ATs on it, they've lasted 30k. I would like something that lasts longer, but I like how these hold the road. Any other suggestions?

Also, I've noticed the same thing in my Sidekick about the popping of the plastic. The first time it did that, I thought something was falling apart, scared the crap outta me.
    Gas milage: I have the 1.8 liter (its a Sport) and I get about 22 on average per tank. I haven't calculated what city vs. highway milage is, because I have all mixed driving.
    Is yours a 5 speed? I've noticed when mine is cold, the gear box is stiff as well, and it always scrapes lightly going into 2nd and 3rd. Could be a Suzuki thing.
    One way to aleviate this, if not done already, is to dump the factory lube for synthetic lube. In nearly every forum I have visited, users almost always report better shifting after changing out the fluid to synthetic.

These rigs are built tough! As you already know, zuki is in the minority when it comes to body on frame small SUV. Their engines are lendengary for sturdiness. ANd, they have a real 4WD setup, second to none
    Sure they ride rough but as posted earlier, get an accord or camry if you want a smooth ride.
    If you want toughness, get a Suzuki!