Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• m45guym45guy Member Posts: 42
    they can only come off when the wheel is off, least on the aluminum wheels. If you have the 'luminum wheels, and it's gone, it might have broken. Bummer.

Kelly B
    '99 Suzuki GV JLX+, 5-speed, cheap little mountain goat
    I'm new to *this* Tracker/Vitara list, so I should share some info. Seems there are some off-roaders, and DIY'ers here, which is good, IMHO. ;-)

If you need new tires, and want something which has at least *some* off-road traction, look at BFG AT/ko's. Not cheap, but I've got 245/70/16's on mine, and I'll take it anywhere, without hesitation. I am going to go down in size to a 225/75/16, as I get a bit of rubbing both front and back, which is more annoying than anything.

Does your steering wheel shake while on the freeway? You've probably had the tires balanced a few times, and it's *still* there. Problem is, the toe spec for these machines is -0-. Neat, in concept, but under load, like when going forward, that -0- toe becomes a slight toe-out condition, and you're feeling the wheels occilating. Easily fixable, just dial a half a turn of toe-in on each tie-rod end. Have to do each side equally, or you'll have a crooked steering wheel. Fixes the funky inside edge tire wear, too, FWIW.

Finally, if you want a *cheap* lift, the urethane spring spacers for a Jeep TJ fit this machine. For $60, you can get either a 3/4" or 1 3/4" lift, all four corners. I tried the bigger one, and wound up cutting my spacers down, as the suspension contantly 'topped out', and it gave me a wicked headache. I've got only the rears installed, as I don't have a spring compressor handy.

Just some tips from a list newbie.

Kelly B
    '99 GV JLX+, not abused regularly enough....
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    I bought a replacement center cap for my left fron wheel. iti s the one with the little Gold Chevy logo. mY MOUTH DROPPED when i see the price on them things. $66 after tax.. and it is the weakiest plastic i think i ever seen. I looked at the parts guy and said. Now come on how can you guys justify $66 for this. and he knodded. So then i priced the ZR2 fender flares. and they are $85 for each wheel "not installed". I Would install them myself, but still. the aftermarket part guy said he would sale them to me for $55 becuase of all the problems i have had over this past year with my Aftermarket cruise control. I had the CC for 11 and now they have to replace the whole thing. that CC cost close to $400 !!!
    No kidding! I feel your pain, the differential I had to replace, if I'd had to buy it from the dealer, would have run me $1500, and that's *not* installed. I did it myself, and found a new one for a Sidekick, which has the identical part, for $267, delivered. If I'd wanted to play roulette, there were some on EBay for $99.

Kelly B
    '99 JLX+, 53K, not bad for a cheap car
    you said you replaced your differential? I;m not clear on this. but was it was whole front axle? cause on my 1999 chevy tracker that i purchased used. i seen the repair work that the dealer did to it. and they mentioned about replacing the front differential. but they got a used one from a salvage yard. they used one from a 2000 model and that had 15k less miles then my tracker at that time. I have had no problems with it ever. the diff i mean. I heard 99 wasn't a good year for the tracker in a few areas. espeically the 5-speed trany!!
  • 1badsidekick1badsidekick Member Posts: 135
    I just typed a great big huge post, and for some reason when I clicked on "post my message", it logged me out and erased everything I said. I had a lot of useful information in that post, but it took me half an hour to type it all, so I won't be typing it again. Whats up moderators?? Why did it do this to me?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I haven't heard any other complaints about our server hiccupping today, 1badsidekick, but it's still early.

Try going back in your browser; often you can return to the screen where you typed your message and can then copy the text into your clipboard and try again.

Steve, Host
  • 1badsidekick1badsidekick Member Posts: 135
    thats what I did, I clicked back and it had erased it all. Oh well, one of these days I'll take the time to type it in again! Thanks for trying!
    First, let me say this is on a V-6 *Grand* Vitara, so it's likely equipped with the same diff, but the extra power might be just a tad too much for it. It's the same diff which was in the Sidekicks of old, so it hasn't changed, in a while.

Mine was the *rear* diff, not hard to replace, really, just daunting to consider/look at. I replaced just the 'pumkin' part, got one for $267, shipped, from a guy down in Eugene, OR.

Turns out, the cracked pinion was one of the 'common' <eye roll> problems with the GV/Tracker. I've been lucky, otherwise, only an air-bag sensor going wacky below 38F, a hood squeak which I'm not convinced I've finally fixed (haven't heard it in a couple of weeks, though), and *horrible* resale value. It's really a good little moutain goat, and the nice thing is, because I don't really care too much about it, the big pine tree dent above the LR passenger door adds 'character'. ;-)

Kelly B
  • gmallthewaygmalltheway Member Posts: 77
    My sister has a Red/Silver tracker LT, nice little truck and she loves it. One thing i don't understand is why the Grand Vitara seems to be better equipped. Deep tint windows, gold lettering, fog lights. Does anyone know, i was on gmbuypower and saw that for 2003 you can get deep tint windows on a tracker, $150 option, even on LT.
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    The rig started life as a suzuki model and this is how chevy got into the small SUV market with minimal investment
    Also, suzuki may equip it differently than the trakcer so as to enhance marketability.
    i think the suzuki comes stardard with power windows and locks. and I am not sure but i think when i was looking for my tracker a few years ago. One of them you could get cruise control on and one you could NOT. (2-door model only) I remember looking and thinking. why would i buy the chevy when the suzuki comes with more for less! But then i found a used tracker loaded for way cheap...
  • gmallthewaygmalltheway Member Posts: 77
    For 2004 the few trackers that are probably made will actually have a standard V6. Also the 2dr. will be discontinued.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    comes the equinox? Isn't that what it's called? I believe that it is slated to replace the tracker.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It's based on the Saturn Vue and folks are discussing it in the Chevrolet Equinox topic.

tidester, host
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    Thanks tidester. It's a good looking SUV, but I'm set with my explorer now. 5 more years to go!
  • frenchcarfrenchcar Member Posts: 247
    Have any of you had a Tracker with steering so loose it feels like it isnt attached. Not much play in the wheel, tracks straight, new tires and proper air. Feels like the PS is overboosted or maybe worn tie rod ends, loose wheel bearings or a steering gear out of adjustment or worn out. IT GETS DIFFICULT AND DANGEROUS AT HIGH SPEEDS. HELP Any ideas or experience withthis problem?
    I can take a guess and link you to a post, but it sounds like you need to limp to your mechanic asap.

cschapin Oct 2, 2002 10:35am

Steve, Host
    Something is seriously wrong here......get it looked at ASAP.
    I have an appointment set up with a Suzuki mechanic/alignment man. My 95 is actually a Sidelick 4 door 4x4 but similar to a Tracker. I have owned 4 of these vehicles over the years and road tested probably 15 of them, both 2wd and 4wd and sticks and automatics. Those without power steering handle better but are a bear to park. Those with power steering are sometimes erratic or squirrly and often feel over boosted. Air pressure that is too high, wrong size tires can really change the feel and I have only driven a couple that actually feel similar to other vehicles. I still love them inspite of the quirkiness. The 205x75x15 tire size is actually a huge tire for such a lightweight (2600 lb) vehicle with a load range of 97 which equals 1610 pounds per tire and they call for 23 pounds air pressure. A Dodge Grand Caravan at 4000 pounds will use this same size tire and call for 32 pounds. Most Tracker owners run far too much air which upsets the ride and handling. I usually run 26 and see some improvement since I lowered it to 23 and I am willing to bet that 20 pounds would work even better for these lightweight vehicles. I now wonder if someone added a power steering pump to a manual steering gear. HAVE ANY OF YOU EXPERIMENTED WITH AIR PRESSURE OR TIRE TYPE AND SIZE?
    I have a question about towing something with the Chevy tracker.. I have a 1999 2-DOOR 2.0litre. and i think i read in the owners booklet that i can tow 1000lbs. but the 4 door can tow 1500lbs... in 1999 they didnt have the chevy tracker V-6, so why would the 4door be able to tow more weight? also can anyone share any storied with me on towing with your chevy tracker?
    Perhaps because the 4 door is a longer wheel base rig and the center of gravity is spread out a bit more.

What part of PA do you live?
    i live in western PA. south western to be exact.
    town is called Belle vernon, look it up on yahoo maps. arent you western pa also,. but like near butler or something?
    A list by lawyers who sue easy targets....

Steve, Host
    (Don't mind me - it's hot and I've been ranting all day!)
    The same info was on the PA state attonery Generals website. Along with the major Pittsburgh news website. The previous link was one of Only many.
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Member Posts: 61
    Towing capacity is determined by several factors in addition to engine power. Load capacity, wheelbase, and braking are some other considerations. Exceeding a vehicle's towing capacity will slow things down when you accelerate and climb hills, but some creative shifting can compensate. However, handling will deteriorate and can become dangerous. And woe when it comes time to whoa. The 4-DR and the 2-Dr have different load capacities and wheelbases, and I assume the 4-Dr has larger brakes because of its greater GVW rating. Don't push it, Chris. We'd miss you on the board.
    not too familiar with belle vernon as I am not a PA native (Indiana) so I don't drink IC and bet in fantasy football leagues!

Still we need to hook up! Go off roading or something or drink beer which I CAN do, even if its not IC.
  • woody72woody72 Member Posts: 73
    I also had a strange sensation with my steering on my '01 2.0L. It felt like it was going in and out of power steering most notably at slower speeds when major turning was required. It turned out to be a faulty u-joint in the intermediate steering shaft, the shaft between the steering column and the power rack. The u-joint is not repairable and can only be replaced as a shaft assembly to the tune of $305, a dealer only part. It solved the problem, unfortunately it is past the warranty.
    I had a squeaky serpentine belt which I replaced and it solved that problem. Other than these two things and basic maintenance I've had a good 42K miles so far.
    a buddy just turned 170K on his 2 door rig and it keeps on trucking.

He attributes most of this good luck to mobil 1 synthetic oil
    It was found that I had a bad front strut. Replaced the struts with Monroe Sensa Trac, had a full alignment and steering gear adjustment and now it is fine and safe at high speeds too. Not what I expected to find but they went over it real good and the vehicle ahead of mine on the rack was also a white Suzuki but his problem was just toe in.
    i used to use mobil1 in my atv and motorcycles, along with my 1994 Ford Ranger V-6. on my ranger i had 135,000 miles and that engine "no lie" run like it had 100,000 LESS mileage. I changed the oil everything 3k miles even though i was using M1. I still think M1 is good stuff, but now in my motorcycle, and tracker i use Amsoil products. From the oil to the axle lube to ATF down to their oil filters. www.amsoil.com
  • infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    our 01 tracker 2.0 is about to go into the dealer for the last time before warranty runs out. the driver interior door handle has pulled out and away from the door trim. is there anything else we should have checked before warranty runs out? other than this, warranty work has only included a loose squeeky clutch, radio replaced because some buttons didn't work, and the rear washer spray nozzle replaced. otherwise this truck has been fun and reliable! maintenance has been cheap.
    seal. they have been known to leak at times.
    Otherwise, enjoy your rig!
    i just checked my rear axles fluid, and i was a little shocked at how much i had to add to it. The last time i checked it was last June. So since it doesn't require much oil i changed the rear axle fluid 80w90 GL5. i used 100 synth. while i was there, i changed the automatic trany fluid and the engine oil. My trany fluid looked almost purple, even though it has only been a year since it was changed also. But for the engine oil i went with a 5w30 Diesel oil. The diesel oil has better anti-wear additives. along with other advantages. here is a link to better explain why i went with diesel oil for my tracker

http://www.amsoil.com/products/hdd.html
  • mevans757mevans757 Member Posts: 3
    I have been looking for a newer car and became attracted to the body style of the 4 dr Tracker. I visited a dealer today & fell in love with a 2001 Tracker 4 dr with Auto, Air, Cassette, 4WD 15,000 miles. The price seem fair at $11,000. However, I became concerned, when doing research and discovered that the consumer and JD Power ratings are rather poor. I am a single middle aged woman and my son thinks I should have a 4WD, the Hondas CRVs, Libertys etc. are rather high priced. Any advice would be appreciated
    I have been looking for a newer car and became attracted to the body style of the 4 dr Tracker. I visited a dealer today & fell in love with a 2001 Tracker 4 dr with Auto, Air, Cassette, 4WD 15,000 miles. The price seem fair at $11,000. However, I became concerned, when doing research and discovered that the consumer and JD Power ratings are rather poor. I am a single middle aged woman and my son thinks I should have a 4WD, the Hondas CRVs, Libertys etc. are rather high priced. Any advice would be appreciated
    Why not buy one? The Trackers and Sidekicks and later the Vitarra are all built by Suzuki and some of them in the joint GM -Suzuki plant in Canada. They have been around since 1989 and we have owned 6 or 7 of them between myself, my wife and son. The 4 door is very handy and a nice size and economical for this type vehicle. Forget what Consumers says as they have always been prejudiced against Suzuki products and you will get better information from Edmunds.com JD Powers is only about initial quality and delivery defects. The bodies may be a little cheap but mechanically they hold up great. The 4x4 is only needed for off roading or if you live in a bad winter climate where they work great but the 2 wd modeks ride softer. We have had excellent luck with them and it is commom for them to go over 150,000 miles with proper care. With the huge discounts on new cars I feel certain that you can get a new Tracker or Suzuki 4 door Vitara for $11,995 or a new Suzuki Aerio sedan for $12000 and the SX wagon for about $13000. My wife has one and it is a neat vehicle and better quality than their past vehicles but Chevrolet does not have an equivilent of that one. There were a few problems with the 2000 and 1999 Tracker but that has all been fixed. I just bought a used 95 4 door, 4x4 with 93,000 miles on it and I plan on keeping it a long time. Suzuki has been around since 1909, sold 1.7 million vehicles last year including the Trackers.Consumers reports has been one of the most misleading publications and full of errors and after reading it for 30 years I know their opinions are often wrong and we have owned 76 vehicles. Suzuki jumped 30 % in quality from 2002 to 2003 mainly doe to the Aerio but what difference does it make if you have 1.6 defects initially or only 1.2 defects? Big deal. When it is fixed they are all equal. I can make a Tracker last as long as a Lexis and for a lot less money. I would say check the rebated price on a new one before you pay #11,000 for a used one. The payments might be identical and I know the Suzuki ads here in Tucson are phenominal and I assume Chevrolet is too. Im glad to help.
    JD Power has long term reliability reports too. We refer to many of them in our vehicle pages, and have them for the Tracker for 5 years out.

Here's one link.

Steve, Host
    its a tough little rig and Suzuki has a long reputation for building tough dependable engines and such. Remember, they have years of motorcycle experience in 4 cyl engines.
    You also get a timing chain, not a belt, a full boxed frame, plus a real 4 wd setup.

A co worker now has 170K on his tracker and its still going strong!

Go for it!
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Member Posts: 61
    If you plan to do any off-roading or driving on primitive roads, the Tracker is definitely worth considering. The Tracker's combination of economy, comfort, maneuverability, reliability, and off-road capabilities is hard to beat. However, if you want 4WD for driving in rain, snow, and ice, or for better handling on dry pavement, choose a vehicle with AWD.
    The price they quoted of $11,000 might be a good one as this morning our Chevy dealer has a picture of a nice 2001 one for sale at $14700 but this same dealer had new 2003 models a few weeks ago at $12900 which means they are out of the new ones or the rebate war is over but our Suzuki dealer still has some at fantastic prices but they could be quoting on 2 wheel drive models. Drive it a second time and if you love it, take the VIN number (on windshield tag above the dash) to a Chevy dealer and the service department can look it up and tell if there are any recalls outstanding but chances are any problems have already been fixed. I would only be leery of the 99 models.
    make sure that quote wasnt for a 2wd. that would make allt he difference right there. i think i seen where the suzuki's come with More standard feature like power mirror windows and locks. then you have your add-ons like cruise. which i had aftermarket cruise installed on my tracker and it was close to $400 and it broke once already and was replaced. the aftermarket cruise is ok, but it is no where near the quailty of a OEM cruise. even for as much as just the looks of it
    I took possession of my 2001 Tracker yesterday & spent the day giving test drives. Everyone was very impressed. So far I love it. It also came with cruise, remote control side view mirrors & alum alloy wheels which I didn't know about til after I took the keys. Thanks everyone for all your help!!
    of the progress with your traker.
    Have any of you owned or kept a Tracker or Sidekick well into the 150,000 to 200,000 mile range or even more than that? I had a 1990 and a 94 with 108,000 amd 124,000 miles on them when I sold them (both Trackers and in good condition). I now have a 95 Sidekick 16 valve, 4 door, automatic 4X4 with 94,000 miles and it now has new shocks and struts, new brakes, new A/C Comptrssor and new timing belt and a K&N air filter really improved the performance and gas mileage. Runs great. My question is: can I really expect this to go 200,000 miles with proper care or will it self destruct long before that? What is your experience??? (I found out the transmission had been replaced or rebuilt at 71,000 miles and the tires are new and it doesnt use oil yet)
    While *I* haven't had a high-mileage *Tracker*, I have had a '73 Coupe DeVille with over 200K on it, an '88 Bonneville with 194K on it, and the only high mileage car I had a 'problem' with was an '86 Nissan 'softbody' pickup (old body style) which I wrecked one time too many @ 171K. With engine oil being as good as it is, today, the engine should last forever, and this is the major component.

If the tranny was replaced at 77K, you're basically driving a new car, IMHO. Even interiors are lasting a good long time, which is great, as a car isn't 'old' at 100,000 miles, anymore.

I've even gone to 10K mile synthetic oil changes in our '95 Intrepid (111K miles) and the '99 Grand Vitara (Tracker) 54K miles. My wife's new-to-her '02 Lexus RX300 is gonna go on the same plan with Mobil 1. With regular old 'dead dino' juice, 5K is plenty often.
    I personally don't own a hi mileage rig you describe but a friend has 170K on his tracker and its going just fine. Two timing belts and a motor mount are the most he has done under the hood.
    By the way, he has uses MObil 1 since day 1!
    Thanks for your input guys, I appreciate it and perhaps others will answer also. I have used Mobil One for several years now in most of my vehicles and soon will switch the 95 Sidekick over to it also. Always had good luck with it in newer vehicles but had it backfire when I put it in an old 1970 Buick 455 that leaked oil and it was much worse with synthetic as it is thinner and I should have known better. It is thin and pumps faster even in cold weather but if you have an old worn oil pump you will lose oil pressure at idle. I ran into that problem once in an old Peugeot but European cars used to run on lower oil pressure at idle than American or Japanese cars. I suspect this Suzuki will go the 200,000 miles I hope for.
    Have any of you used Platinum tip spark plugs in either a Tracker or Sidekick?? What Brand and what was your experience with them?? Im thinking of trying Bosch Platinum Plus 4 but can they cause problems on a 95 16 valve?