Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    THey should perform well for you .
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    here is what i noticed on my 1999 tracker 2.0litre i have used ngk and bosch. i used the +2 bosch plugs and the regular bosch. all the plugs were Platinum. i started out using the +2 bosch Plat, then i tried NGK, and for some strange reason my tracker ran, less responsive with ngk plugs. which is weird because ngk makes some of the best plugs. i use ONLY ngk on my motorcycle. so i went back to the bosch +2 and i could feel the difference as soon as i went back to bosch. so then recently i went to bosch regular Plat plugs. and i noticed my tracker even ran better yet on just the reg bosch plat plug instead of the +2. In the past i always had great luck with bosch in my cars and trucks. Personally if i was you i would just go with the Reg Bosch Plat plugs. I know for me they work great. and are about 1/2 the price of the +4. ! also what i noticed that my tracker loves, is when i run a can of SEAFOAM in the gas tank. it is a excellent fuel injection/carb cleaner. plus i use it on my motorcycle as a Carbon remover. this is one of the only cleaners that i use anymore. Seafoam is serious stuff.
  • jenjajenja Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for a good, solid, affortable 4x4. I live in NE PA where we get a lot of snow and will be living off on many back roads. I want a car that will run good in all kinds of weather especially snow. I don't need a super fast or powerful car, just something reliable and with decent power. I have an opportunity to get a 2002 2 dr 4x4 convertable tracker with only 14,000 miles. Any one have this model? I am concerned about the soft top and that being sturdy and not leaking, causing drafts etc. I have read alot of bad reviews on this car but coming here I have seen a lot of good things. This will be my first 'newer' car so I am looking for all the help/advice i can get.
  • frenchcarfrenchcar Member Posts: 247
    You drive a Geo made by Suzuki and the Trackers are made by Suzuki and my sons Geo in snowy Colorado has over 100,000 miles on it with few problems. When I lived in Colorado I had a 90 Tracker 2 door hartop and then a 94 Tracker Convertible. The top set up is a pain to take down and soon it was going to need replacement but I bought a Bestop hardtop for it that comes in 2 sections with a rack on the rear section to store the front section when you wanted the open air feeling over the front seat. Really neat but it adds about $1300. There is a young man on another web site who wants to sell his Steel Horse brand hard top that is in great condition but it does not have a rack. The 2002 Tracker was much better than the 99 which is when they redisigned them and the shift on the fly 4X4 set up is better than the 94 I had and the 95 Sidekick 4 door I just bought but they are good in snow and mud and are great off road vehicles too but easier to use now. My wife drives a new Suzuki Aerio and you can get those with all wheel drive. It has been an awesum car but is low on road clearance. With proper care these are all fairly trouble free cars. I prefer the longer wheelbase 4 door but you will have fun in the convertible. You can replace the rear window in them cheaply, my top didnt leak and you can get 6 years out of the tops with care. If the price is right-go for it. I just remembered that the latest Trackers have a 2 section top that is far superior to the one I had and much easier to deal with. Mine would only leak in an automatic car wash. I bet you like it. Follow the 4X4 instructions carefully concerning dry pavement versus wet muddy snow covered pavement to make it last. Good luck.
    These rigs are very strong and dependable and a co worker has 170K on his and still running fine!

GO for it!
  • macstratermacstrater Member Posts: 1
    Beware of the 2003 Chevy Tracker. At 19MPH my car slided across two lanes in the autobahn and hit the other side. I was only going 19MPH, My air bag did not go off, and I hit my head on the dashboard- thus making me believe that maybe my seatbeat needs to be replace- the car is 7 months old and has had the proper mantance sugguested in the mannual. This damage cost 4,000 euro plus another 2,000 for the gardrail the car hit. My bumper, grill, drivers front quarter panel, and headlight had to be replace. The headlight by itself cost $600.00. I highly do not suggest this car for areas where it rains or snows alot. It is a death trap.
    As for rolling on turns- It won't roll going 40MPH- My huband is a bad driver and it has not flipped yet. Just watch for the sliding in wet and snowy weather.
  • northman1northman1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 Tracker with 54000 miles and I am experiencing surging and loss of power at cruising speeds I have replaced the o2 sensor and checked the egr valve and replaced the fuel filter Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this and I am not getting an engine code light
    when was the last time the transmission fluid level was checked? and also look under it for leaks. too at the condition of your air filter and loose hoses. I know this sounds silly. but do it, at this point it can't hurt. do you have a automatic? if so is it the 3 speed or 4 ? after i changed my fuel filter, i ran SEAFOAM in my fuel tank it made a difference. btw when did you notice this surging?
    http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm
  • frenchcarfrenchcar Member Posts: 247
    Have you checked fuel pump pressure and/or check valve, pressure regulator? A clogged catalytic converter can act like this. Check for a bad coil or plug wire or a wide open injector. Have an experienced Suzuki mechanic drive it and he can possible figure it out quick like. Problems can be traced sometimes to a loose gas cap or bad gas cap seal. Im curious what you find out.
    Trans fluid and air filter fine fuel pressure good while idling trying to get a gauge put on to watch while I am driving I am personaly supecting the fuel pump but the cost of them I want to be sure Last 2 days ran fine today it started acting up again been doing this for about 8 months GM ran dianostic test but found nothing because there was no code of course hopfully this fuel pressure gauge Im trying to get them to put on and tape to my hood so I can watch while driving will tell me something GM even hooked up a vehicle data recorder to it an found nothing so the problem must not be anything computer controlled will keep you posted when I find out anything and thanks for the advice and would thank anything else you can think of starting to drive me crazy and auto tran 3 speed with o\d
    your tracker doesnt have spark plug wires. at i know my 1999 doesnt.
    I am waiting till next monday and they will put the fuel pressure gauge on the hood so I can watch it will keep you posted
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Member Posts: 61
    I went in to Firestone today to order tires to replace the originals on my '99. The service manager told me that he serviced two '02 Trackers this week, and both had smashed condenser fins identical to the damage to mine. Neither owner had a clue anything was wrong. He suggested they could either go to the dealer to try to get the condensers replaced under warranty, or bring the Trackers back when the A/C quit. He assured them he would know exactly where to start the A/C diagnostics. As far as I know, neither Suzuki or Chevy has acknowledged this design flaw. My replacement condenser still looks brand new. I have run the A/C constantly for the past four months, but I did no driving in blizzard conditions last winter.
    AC still works.
    It wouldnt surge while the gauge was hooked up but was helpfulthey said operating pressure was 30 to 37 psi It was when idling but when I accelerated it went as high as 49 psi so I am convinced the fuel pressure regulator is malfunctioning I believe if it would have cut out or loss of power the the reading would have been below 30 psi I welcome your thoughts if I should replace the regulator or not I also updated my profile so if you wish to contact me on this matter personaly my e-mail adress is there
  • tenntracker1tenntracker1 Member Posts: 19
    I was wondering if there is any write-up's on the transfer case for a new (600 miles) 2003 Tracker. Who makes it? Mine is a 2.0 with the 4 speed automatic trans. Also I read on here about spark plug questions, I have drove Jeep for a while and always ran Champion Truck Plugs in it and there is a noticeable difference on the first start up. Thanks for any help on the Transfer case question..
    i would believe the transfer case is made by suzuki, just like the transmission and engine. they dont put, special transfer cases and axles like jeep does. (example) DANA 44 i also have a 4 speed auto with a 2.0 engine on my 1999 tracker. and it has been great so far. and i have done some hard core offroading and mudding. just do NOT use 4x4 on pavement.
    It seems I have started something entirely new and got a lot of learning to do. I thank you again for you response.
    makes the trans and transfer case for these rigs.

http://www.aisin.co.jp/english/products/auto/index.html
    Thanks for the site info, it looks like they are into a little of everything. I will admit that I was used to everything being aimed at the Jeep owner, and when I got the Tracker I went to the auto store just to get a idea about things I could do with it, 3 stores in town and no parts for it other than lights and floor mats. Not even a locking gas cap that they would say positively fit the 2003 model. After a week now, I am finding my way around with it and have found this forum very helpful as a source of good information.
    Just got back from getting the 9 tintable windows tinted and with the Indigo Blue and the dark windows I really like the new look. The GM dealer gave me a good web address with lots of info on Trackers, it is www.media.gm.com There is plenty of reading on these rigs and they have a archive for older vehicles as well. I hope someone benefits from that site, I did.
    Yes, I have a owners manual. But would anyone explain the shift on the fly method please. It says it is able to shift up to 60 MPH's but I heard grinding when I shifted at 40. The salesman at the dealer did it with ease, but is there a method to doing this like letting of the gas or staying on it. Any help would be great! Thank you in advance.
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Member Posts: 61
    Ray, I see none of the owners with A/T's have responded to you yet. I have a '99 with a manual, and I just depress the clutch, let up on the gas, and shift into 4WD quickly. The effort was very high after Mr. Goodwrench put the wrong lubricant in the transfer case (and transmission) at 15,000 and again 30,000 miles. Luckily, I discovered the problem within a day after each lubricant change and convinced Mr. Goodwrench to follow the recommendations in the manual. Make sure you are steering straight ahead and shift into 4WD quickly. Since yours is brand new, the transfer case fluid should be correct.
    Doug, Thanks for the time to shed some light on this subject. I am wondering if I need to take it out of drive or just shift, I also noticed you said quickly, so that may be me problem and I was just trying to ease it in there. I will keep you posted..Thanks again.
    is the suzuki vitara softtop Gone!? i just looked at their website. and ther was NO listing for the softtop anymore nor a 4 cylinder model anymore either. only v-6 4door. it looks like the ground clearance is a little lower too. my 1999 tracker 2-door is 8.0 inches of ground clearance. where as 2wd is 7inches and the 4ed is 7.4inches. did chevy get rid of the 2-door softtop also?
    The Vitara v-6 is the most basic model, the 2 door his history. So is the tracker 2 door. Not sure about the 4 door tracker, I believe it will be replaced by the Equinox, whatever that is, at the CAMI assembly plant in 2005.

That will make these rigs collectors items!
    When I went looking for my 2003 last month they told us that it was the last year for the 4 banger. I have a 4 banger and although it is no speed racer it is so far very capable in all situations so far.
    From what I have read about these things on the net, they are pretty sturdy engines.
  • jenjajenja Member Posts: 2
    I took the advice some of you gave me and bought the 2002 Tracker (4 cyl) and I love it.
    Only problem is it goes through a lot of gas! Feels like I am filling it up twice was much as my old Dodge Neon. I do not have the exact gas mileage I am starting to keep track of that. Anyway, what could be causing the car to be eating gas? Anything I can check or do? Thanks all!
    figures and then we can try to figure it out. Right now, I have no clue as to what you mean by using more gas than your neon.
    Give us the MPG ok?
    well i did a quick look up on gas mileage for the 2 Vehicles you mentioned. 2002 tracker and dodge neon.. here is what i found

tracker 22-25 city/highway
    neon 28-34

i am curious, before you purchased this tracker, did you reseach MPG? these 2 vehicles are also apple to oranges. and with that in mind you have to expect a difference not only in how they operate, but what they are used for and over all sizes & weights. the tracker is built on a Truck frame which is heavier and stronger.If you bought the tracker as a gas Miser then you bought the wrong vehicle. but if you bought it for its room, and ability to drive through all-season conditions, then you made the right choose. my 99 tracker 2-door is a tank. i drive it in places that make others nervous. as a matter of fact, i did so Today. I drove through water so deep it was up to the bottom of the door. and went over rocks that would loosen your teeth from all the bouncing. this is why i bought my tracker. my tracker which is a 2.0 4x4 is about as good if not a little worse on gas than my 2-wheel drive V-6 ford ranger. i roughly get 20mpg in my tracker. but i do have a little bigger tires and aggressive tread which isnt quiet on the road nor made to save fuel. but in snow! move aside cause i am coming through... lol
    My stock tires are I thing 205x75x15's. It is a 4x4. on the stock steel wheel what would be a good step up and will they affect the brakes as in anti stop wise? I would like to get at least some p225's with out any rubs.
    here is the tire size i use and the tires that i use also. these tires are the best that i have ever had. Off-road they are great and in snow, you move through it like a tank...
    SIZE-215/75R15

TYPE- http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&t- - ireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO
    I like the tread pattern on them and I am settling in with the Tracker now and am ready for some mudding this weekend in stock form. I will get a good idea for it then. Other than the wheel wells and power add ons in the Zr2 I thing my base model is a great bargin. I have just took so getting used to after having a wrangler for so long. The tracker handles on a dime and I like that, however I am concerned about the breaks, the seem some how unerpowered. I guess I will grown it to it.
    I have had no problems with the brakes on my rig with 19K on the clock. Could not say the same for my 2000 Dakota for which I traded to get my Vitara.
    You'll find your tracker to be a smart investment, a trusted friend, and a go anywhere tank! When I can tell you about a buddy's 94 model still going, with only two timing belt changes and a new clutch all this at 175K, well that is a testament to the good design of these great little suvs. Never mind what the rags say, these are true utility rigs that can go pretty much anywhere, turn on a dime and give nine cents worth of change!
    My only complaint is that Suzuki did not drop the Aerio engine and its 145 horses under the hood of these rigs. 127 HP is a bit weak, especially in W PA with all the hills and stuff, but otherwise, I think its a fine motor.
    How isyour 4WD shifting now? MIne was pretty stiff when new, but has since loosened up a bit and now its a piece of cake to go into 4WD.
    I hear cooper weathermaster tires are good for mud and snow, I have a set on order to mount on the extra rims I got from a fellow yahoo group poster.
    http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?ProdType=LtTru- ck&id=190

mudders
    http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?ProdType=LtTru- ck&id=28

i almost bought these tires b4 going with my B.F.GOODRICH all-terrain ones. i am still considering the DISCOVERER STT...
    I have heard good reports from users of Cooper tires.
    Today was the first real test of the drive train in some non trial use. I was very impressed with the traction and handling of the Tracker, I did make one mistake though, I opened the rear door to load up a large rock for my driveway and had to push down on it to get it closed again, but considering the terrain I was on and the way the Tracker was flexing it was understandable. The transfer case is shifting cleanly now and really due to advice from here about shifting fast and not slowly. I was a bit spoofed at first when I got to the trails ( in Tennessee they drain the lakes and there are miles of trails to ride and boulders to climb) but after only a half mile I was sold. I am very impressed with the engine tranny combo and well just the whole ride itself. I have been asked not to post any other sites here so I respectfully wont but I have one with pics of the Tracker and one day I would like to show it.
    hey you can send me that link to the site with the tracker pix,. i would really like to see it.

arkainzeye@hotmail.com
    I like the look of your vehicle and you really keep it clean (most times haha) My days are coming as the lakes are going down by the day here and more and more paths are returning for the winter.
  • keithertkeithert Member Posts: 1
    Please send me the link too.
    blop25@yahoo.com
    I have a 2.0 in my 2003 4x4 Tracker. The engine appears to be sitting in a twisted position with the drivers side rear corner being lower than the front corner by about 3 inches. I may have just noticed that it sets like this but it only has 1700 miles and if there is a problem I can take it back for sevrice. Most of the lots have the 04's on the lot now and the 4 banger was ended in 03. I know this is a crazy question, but do I need glasses? lol
    I have looked at a few Trackers with the 4 cylinder and things look like they should.
    drugs are bad.... m'kay...
    maybe its the mobil 1.
    While my ride has not had its first oil change yet, I want to go to synthetics as soon as possible. I hear it takes about 5000 miles before it is considered a good Idea. Any thoughts or opinions.......Drugs are bad, did I miss something??
    switch to synthetics.
    I just used 14.9 gallons to drive 361.7 miles and that averages out to 24.2 miles per gallon. That is a combination of city and highway driving. My vehicle has only about 1800 miles on it and is a 4 cylinder engine. Hope this helps some.
    you do not have to wait until 5k miles. many cars come standard WITH synth oil! Mobil1 synth to be exact. I use synth oils in my engine, transfer case, transmission and both axles. i changed them all over at one time. and Shifting my transfer case became extremely easy and smooth. and my tracker even drifted downhills easier also. In my case i used ALL amsoil products. But you will have much luck with mobil1. in my tracker i was using 0w30 weight synth, but i just recently went with a 5w30 synth Deisel oil. the oil i have now is approved for cars/trucks a.k.a. gasoline engines. But it has a higher cleaning agent and allows the engine to be ran longer between oil changes. with you want to see the products i mean go to amsoil.com . But like i said with mobil1 you cant go wrong..