Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• tenntracker1tenntracker1 Member Posts: 19
    If there was a time to change I would like to do it as soon as possible, with it still being new and clean inside. Mobil 1 sounds like the way to go, question though, the newer type you use is OK for oxegyn sensors too?
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    combined with either a Purolator or NAPA filter, its a combination that will assure your rig runs a good long time?

Proof?

Friend's 94 tracker, two timing belts and mobil 1 since 34K now has 175K on it. Compression, amazingly, is still completely within specs. It burns no oil and starts and runs well.

I highly recommend synthetic oil for your rig!
  • frenchcarfrenchcar Member Posts: 247
    I have used Mobil One for 25 years in both new and used vehicles although I have also tried Valvoline, Amsoil and Castrol. I have almost always got a mpg increase of 4 to 5 percent on 4 cylinder vehicles and 2 to 3 percent increase on a V-6 or V-8. With K & N air filters I have added another 4 percent increase. Synthetics are so slippery that you have to break a new engine in first before using a synthetic or else the rings will rarely seat properly. It will take 1200 to 3,000 miles depending on engine design, tolerences, transmission and gear ratios and make sure you arent using any oil before making the switch. Some vehicles will use a pint or quart in the first 2000 miles until broken in. A few high priced cars come with synthetics but thay are no doubt built to tight tolerances and run in for a longer period of time on the test and adjustment stands at the engine factory. Cheaper vehicles cant afford the extra time. 5W-30 is for most new cars, 0W-30 works fine in cold climate winters and most older vehicles will take 10W-30. This stuff is thin so dont put in an old oil burner or one with gasket leaks or you will really go thru oil. It is great in hot or cold climates, extends engine life, has 5 or 6 times more shear strength and can actually extend oil drain schedules as the ball bearing type molecules last and last compared to long chain molecules in conventional oil. However, when a car is still under warranty you are almost forced to stick to the factory schedule and save all receipts to sarisfy them in case of a claim. I buy synthetic and my Suzuki dealer puts it in for me and lowers their normal oil change price. Not many places will do that. Hope this helps. I put in my wifes Suzuki Aerio at 1400 miles and am now putting it in my 95 Sidekick at 95000 miles.
    I am going to buy the lubricants in advance and have them all by the time I can install them. I will wait till the second oil change and then install them. I am very interested in the t/case and transmission as well as the differentials first. We dont get much snow here but the hills and long way to travel to get anywhere is why I am looking for a superior lubricant. It is killing me to have a new vehicle and not being able to do anymore to it other than wash it or sweep the floor matts off. LOL
    I had a French car that you could barely shift at zero degrees and below and synthetic in it made all the difference in the world. However in an old Tracker I used to have I switched the transfer case, differentials and transmission over to synthetics and it was all very slick and nice but the shifts were too easy and if you shifted too quickly there was gear clash. I think the syncro cones were turning too fast and easy to mesh properly with the gears so I had to remember to shift more slowly at least in the summer. However that vehicle had about 70000 miles on it when I changed over and the wear factor might have made a difference. The K & N air filter made a slight difference in my wifes new Suzuki Aerio with the 2 litre engine but made a huge difference in my 95 Sidekick with the 1.6 liter engine. Much faster and gas mileage on the 4 door, 4 X 4, automatic is a consistent 26 mpg around town and that is higher than it is rated at (22 city mpg and 25 highway). On Monday I am going to put in Bosch Platinum plus 4 plugs and Mobil One. Our 2 litre Aerio came with Platinum plugs. Yours might have them too. Check out the air pressure your vehicle calls for. These are light weight vehicles for a 205-75-15 tire and often only call for 23 pounds. That same size tire is used on some Dodge Grand Caravan 4000 pound vehicle and they call for 32 pounds which makes sense on a much heavier vehicle. I carry 26 pounds (3 pounds over) but if you go much higher these vehicles will really steer and handle strangely. I have driven a few Trackers with 225-75-15 tires and 35 pounds of air and they felt weird and dangerous. Experiment with different air pressures and always check them cold. Have fun.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    IF you do decide to go synth like i did in my transfer use ONLY GL4 OIL (NOT!) GL5. 4 is harder to find. 5 is more slippery and could interfere with the engagement of the transfer case. BUT that is not why i didn't use GL5.. i Didnt;t use GL5 because 1) transfer case calls for GL4 unlike the axles which call for GL5. 2) THIS IS THE IMPORTANT ONE... the inside of our transfer cases have brass. I have heard GL5 is corrosive with brass! I even had my local advanced auto parts tell me about the brass issue and GL5. anyways, i just wanted to give you a heads up
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Another "brass" post fyi:

mac24 "Jeep Wrangler" Oct 8, 2003 12:07pm

Steve, Host
    The information on the synthetic lubes is invaluable and I am sure glad I found this forum. Thank you for the genuine thoughtfulness and sharing of your experiences, I really do appreiciate it. I have learned a lot about my ride right here.
  • lobstafarilobstafari Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
      My wife just bought a 2001 Tracker 4dr. 2.0liter, 4wd. It sounds almost like the defroster is on high, but isnt, and also goes with engine RPM's. Is the intake in the dash? Dealer says its a normal sound. Doesnt sound right to me. Noticed the intake is in the inner/outer fenderwell, just like the trucks. Maybe sucking air in through the firewall.....seems like a K+N kit would solve the sound. Do they really all do this? Its really annoying!!!!
    The air intake for the engine is usually in a fender well near the front of the vehicle and you normally dont hear it. The air intake for the heating cooling system is usually at the base of the windshield and the fan blows the air out the interior vents. Which system are you talking about and are you refering to engine noise or ventilation noise with the fan on?? An underhood pad or insulation helps.....there is a fair amount of wind noise around the front windows and mirrors and some cooling fans are noisy or I have had leaves get stock in the air intake by the windshield and then vibrate. Is the exhaust system all original? Try to find another one with the same engine to test drive and compare. These never have been the quietest engines around but they sure are rugged and dependable.
  • infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    the cd player on my 01 with 38,000 miles, just out of warranty, has quit working. it says error and ejects the cd without playing. i've tried cleaning it and tried many cds. i talked to the dealer asking about the possibility of having it replaced by chevrolet since they replaced it at about 15,000 miles because of an inoperable button. they planned on calling the dm. otherwise, i've seen one on ebay for $40. i also have an 02 prizm with an identical cd/radio. does anyone know if they are interchangeable? is the cd/radio easy to replace in the tracker? thanks.
    if you were FORCED to purchase one, and you had to pay retail. I would go with a aftermarket cd-player. many new cd player now play MP3'S you can fit up to 10 HOURS worth of music on 1 standard cd-r. plus they have better FM reception too. My trackers cd-player has worked just fine (1999-tracker). but i would like to have a cd player with the CD-r ability. I noitced this with my tracker. last year my speakers were buzzing and just sounded crappy. so i replaced ALL 4 of them with alpine speakers. they were $65 a pair. the difference between the stock speakers and the alpine were unreal. my stereo is louder "don;t play my music loud though" and it has a thicker sound. they are also able to handle more bass, while yet playing the music clean with no distortion. now all of this was just from changing the speaker and leaving the stock cd-player in.. imagine what a Aftermarket cd-player would do. more bass, EQ setting, mp3, better radio reception etc etc.
    sizes and gives you the actual size of the tire in inches which could be used if you want to over size your tires.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/all_terrain_ta_kd.pdf
    i came up with some answers about what size in inches certain tires are & I was able to look up more info on the stock size for the tracker and 3 sizes up. here is what i found

Over all diameter revs@45mph
    205/75/15 27.3-Inches 762
    215/75/15 27.8-Inches 747
    225/75/15 28.5-Inches 731
    235/75/15 29.0-Inches 717
  • upandaway1upandaway1 Member Posts: 8
    Will a 1999 repair manual that covers the "J/E platform" be usable for a 2000 Chevy Tracker 4-door with 2.0 liter engine? Thanks for any advice you can give.
    Another question: My 2000 Tracker heater blower has started making a roaring sound especially when on high speed. It sort of sounds like a cavitation sound to me, although air is still flowing. Any experience with this?? Thanks
    1. What exactly is the 1999 repair manual that covers the "J/E platform?
    2. Cavitation? I think you have some bad fan motor bearings.
    your heater noise Could be this too.. one my ford tempo years back i had something fall back to where the fan spun. and it was like the sound of what a kids bicycle would make if you put a playing card in the spokes.... get my visual?
    Not sure what the "J/E" stands for, but is for sale on internet and says "BOOKs 1 AND 2
    COVERS: 1999 Chevy Tracker
    J/E PLATFORM". Also a picture of the books for sale shows a big J/E printed on the bottom of the book spines. Maybe this is referring to something else other than a type of tracker??

Anyway, maybe you can help -- are the 1999 Trackers basically the same as the 2000 Chevy Tracker? If this manual will work for my 2000 tracker (with 2.0 liter engine) I'd like to buy it, since it's probably much cheaper than ordering directly from the manufacturer.
    code GM uses for its car body designs. Remember the K-car from Chrysler.......same thing.
    Check the engine.....I think the 99 and 00 had the same but if not then the 99 will have the 1.6 L engine which is a lot different that the 2.0 engine.
    my 99 has a 2.0 4-speed auto. (2-door tracker)
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    you should probably wait for the Equinox to come out instead of buying the Tracker..surprising, the 2003 Tracker didn't receive the new interior that the Suzuki Grand Vitara and XL-7 got..hmm

the Equinox will probably be a better overall value than the rapidly-aging Tracker, or you could wait the the Suzuki-version of the Equinox which comes out in 2005 as a 2006 model...it has a better warranty and, as rumor has it, a 3.5L version of the XL-7's engine making 235 HP
    Is it true that the upcoming Equinox is a Saturn VUE under the skin and I believe it was derived from an Opel platform in Europe and also common to one of the SAAB models. The VUE is the only Saturn to use that particular platform. Perhaps this is a smart move from a GM standpoint but I know a couple of Suzuki salesmen who think it is a dumb move by Suzuki if it is true. Guess they are getting away from heavy duty off road capability but it will be great against the RAV 4 and CRV, Outback and new Hyundai Tucson. Never a dull moment.
    get a zuke and be done with it! These rigs are better and more versatile than the press gives them credit for.

Just do a search and see how many pages of modified trackers you'll find and the stuff that is done with them.
    My Tracker was rear ended while I was eating at a roadside cafe' and the insurance totaled it. The rear passenger door was torn off and the rear tire was under the Tracker. I am glad I was not in it. The Tracker was a fine vehicle with enough spirit to go anywhere on the road or off and I would recommend one to anyone. Also air bags are great as the woman that hit it was just shook up and not really hurt at all.
  • eheadingeheading Member Posts: 26
    I seem to be missing a point here when I continue to read that one should wait for the Equinox. I recently bought an '04 Tracker 4 door because I wanted a small, comfortable, SUV that I could take off road. The Equinox, like so many small SUV's is car based, and not "off roadable".

So, when I hear they may drop the Tracker next year, I am very thankful that we got ours this year.
    i recently had the cd player quit working. i bought one off ebay for $70 that works perfectly! and get this-the dealer had a new one listed at over $300!!! otherwise, everything is going well at 38,000 miles. but...the other day, some jerk put 2 big door dings in the passenger front fender! i was so mad! but thankfully the paint didn't crack, just 2 awful large dents on the character line of the fender. i changed the oil myself for the first time the other day and it was so easy that i was done in 15 minutes. previously, i had the dealer do oil changes until warranty ran out. i will look at the nox as a replacement when it arrives. i have seldom went offroad and i need the extra room. offroading in my tracker was fun tho. but space sure is tight with 2 car seats in back.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    I don't remember the company name, however; there are places that can pop those dings out, and, in your case, with no paint damage, it should be inexpensive.
  • rangnerrangner Member Posts: 336
    Hey all,

Sorry if this is the wrong board to post this but I couldn't find anything else. Anyway, the X-90 has caught my eye and I was wondering if anybody here has had any experience with them. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Eric
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    There are currently no discussion in the Town Hall relating to the X-90. You could start up your own discussion and I'm sure other will join in!

Go to this page to learn how to start up a discussion.
    hey, thanks for the advice on my door dings. i did exactly what you suggested and visited a shop that specializes in minor dings and dents and it will only cost $75 when i get it done on monday! i wouldn't have thought of that suggestion had you not told me about it. thanks again! the dings are right on the body character line of the front fender so the guy said there might be a slight ripple only on that line but it has to be better that the way it is now.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    Your welcome,
      That's what this Edmunds' site is all about... Sharing information.
      I had read somewhere on a previous post at another forum, that a person had purchased a "brand new" really expensive vehicle and the city where he lives had a "big time" HAIL storm and really put some dingers in the vehicle.He went to "Dent Wizard" or whatever and had great results.
  • kchin1kchin1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,
    I didn't know there were so many "Trackies" out there! Just got my Tracker LT last wk, all options except ABS and leather, out the door for only $24,888 CDN!...I have the following dumb questions, having never owned a truck...

1)When in 4WD mode, and I'm going really slow or coasting, and I try to make a tight turn, the transfer case starts to grumble and vibrate, along w/the vehicle. Is this normal and how to avoid???

2) Does power mode and OD work similarly?

3) For what scenarios would you use 4(H) vs. 4(L) vs. 4(2)?

4) When in 4(H), I notice the transfer case shifter can also move to the left. Is the left motion for anything?

5) If the vehicle is not in motion and in 2WD, is it better to shift to 4WD while in Neutral, Drive, or does it matter?

Thanks! I promise my questions will get better. And don't forget to use ansoil 0-W-30 (just kidding!)
    1. THis rig is part time 4wd.
    2. The grumbling and groaning you hear is major stress being placed on the driveline.
    3. If you continue to do #2 above, plan on forking out lots of canadian $$$ for repairs.
    4. Your 4wd setup is ONLY to be used on ice, snow, mud, or wet grass.
    5. WHy? Because you don't have a center diff to allow for the different rotational speeds of the front tires when going around a turn. See #1 above.
    6. This rig is shift-on-the-fly from 2 hi to 4 hi at speeds up to and including 62MPH with the wheels in a straight ahead position. Doing this while making a turn and you can say goodbye to CV joints, possibly an axle and hello to major repair bills.
    7. WHen in 4hi, you move left then fully forward to 4 LOW. ONly use this at a complete stop and when you really need some slow going or lots of pulling power.
    8. Only use #7 on ice, snow, mud, or wet grass. Maybe loose dirt once in a while.
    9. Not necessary to go to neutral unless you are going from 4hi to 4 low. Then place the tranny in neutral, make your shift, and off you go. Remember also to stop when shifting out of 4 low to 4hi or to 2wd.
    10. The power mode is a misnomer. IT does not make your engine produce more power. What it acutally does is raise the shift points of your tranny thus making you "think" there is more power.
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Member Posts: 61
    mopar67's response is right on. I would add that you can use 4WD in sand, loose gravel, and dry and full stream beds (at legal crossings, of course). I only use 4WD when I'm confident the surface I'm driving on (or in) will allow at least one wheel to spin freely. I won't even use 4WD on a paved road in heavy rain. By the way, the potential repairs cost big bucks in U.S. currency, too. Enjoy your Tracker.
  • kchin1kchin1 Member Posts: 4
    I really appreciate your advice and fast response. I have another question...Upon viewing past posts, I keep reading some member pushing "ansoil 0-W-30" who "doesn't work for the brand". Is there any validity to the effectiveness of that product by someone other than the person who posted, or is my 5-W-30 going to be just fine and dandy for the real world?

I also want to throw on some roof cross bars. Will that significantly increase wind noise or is it only minor?

Thanks.
    its what I use. I use mobil1 as its readily available at most stores.
  • d3gcd3gc Member Posts: 3
    1995 suzuki sidekick jlx 16 valve, used engine installed 2 months ago - no manual !

pulled off the road into field and ran over some small saplings, car immediatly stops and i cannot get it to turnover. batterys' juiced, accessories work. turn key and exclamation symbol comes on dashboard, slight hum sound as i do so.

happened at dusk in out of the way location, nearest town 30 mins away. gotta push it away from bushes tomorrow, as i suspect some wire got ripped out er something ? fuse?

arrrgh,
    gc
    Make sure its getting gas. I ripped one off a 62 international under pretty much the same circumstances you described.
    good idea, i will do that, but it doesnt turnover at all
  • draven3draven3 Member Posts: 10
    Hey guys, I have been reading all the posts here and went out and bought a soft top tracker. I have a 88 suzuki samurai that I drive about everyday. I have had a 98 jeep wrangler with a six and I like the jeep. But the Tracker even with the four cylinder is alot more fun to drive I think. The Trackers handling is very sharp and the ride is soft. I like that the Trackers back
    seats can fold flat with room. And the Tracker gets great miles per gallon also. I sold the stock tires that were on there and put on some BFG tires on there and it handles great on the road and off. I've got 11k miles on the clock and hope to last as long as my samurai. Track on!!
    I am wondering if anyone has towed a small tent camper?? You know like a coleman tent camper?? Can I tow a small coleman tent camper with a two door 2.0 four cyl. soft top? And would I need to put the transmissing in the power mode?? Thanks
    Does anyone make a bike rack for the soft top tracker? I'd like one that will work with the spare tire and not have to get a trailer hitch to have a bike carrier.
    There isn’t an amsoil plant in pa. So unless that person told everyone to purchase that oil from HIM, then why would he be working for them? If you found oil that is Not regularly availably in stores would you tell others about it? anyways mobil1 is perfect for your engine. 5w30 is good 0w30 is better if you live in colder area. btw there is a whole hell of alot more to oil than just it's viscosity there are additive packages, and the list goes on. The are also other better oils than mobil1. but you won't be able to go to kmart and purchase them. amsoil being only 1 of them. there is redline,schaffers etc etc. Hell in my 99 tracker i use 5w30 Deisel oil 100 synth of course. and this is only part of the reason why i use this oil.
    Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil resists breakdown from heat, blowby chemicals and oxygen up to ten times longer than do conventional oils,
     Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil resists forming sludge and varnish deposits, which contribute to corrosion, decreased fuel efficiency and increased engine wear.
    Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil remains fluid at temperatures as low as-60° F
    Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil's higher VI provides a better protective film at higher temperatures than conventional SAE 40 oils, while remaining fluid at subzero temperatures.. and the list goes on. But this is just what i use. I look beyond the store bought shelves. Also don't forget a High Quality oil filter. no frams.. lol
    I believe your rig can tow 1500 lbs however I know this is for the 4 door models. CHeck your owner's manual for the exact limits of your rig's towing ability.
    ur right mopar67 1500lbs for 4-door and for mine 2-door 1000lbs
    it blew a fuse, dont know why, allz fine now.

where can i get a manual (or something cheaper) for my '95 sidekick?
    Does anyone make a bike rack for the soft top tracker? I'd like one that will work with the spare tire and not have to get a trailer hitch to have a bike carrier.
    i seen bike racks b4 on the 2-door tracker. they used the spare to hold the weight. I'm not sure how it mounted. but i see it done