Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota on the mend?

Comments

• this is not the same pic of the new Toyota Coupe under development with Subaru. But here's what I found a coupla minutes ago for ya ta gander upon. Listed as Toyota AE86. Similar red as my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS' Rally Red for iluvmysephia1 starters.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Any chance that Subaru is doing the gas pedal? ;)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,724
    rejected civic coupe design?
  • Corolla in that design. Maybe the 1980 series Corolla. I see it.

And the red on this new AE86 Coupe looks more cinnamon-ish than my Lancer GTS' does. I have truly come to love the Rally Red on my Lancer GTS. A true metallic red that looks...racy. :shades:

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    Biggest problem is the 4BT weighs about 800 pounds, which is too much iron to stick in the front end of a Ranger without a ton of work.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,020
    Weight is one of the big negatives. I will probably get my neighbor to drop in a small V8 which are plentiful. Or just keep driving it until the next C4C program and hope something comes along I like. The truck qualifies just not for another small truck with enough power.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,251
    To quote from the MSN link...

"The IIHS announced its winners Wednesday and noted that Toyota didn't have a single model in the list: "Toyota and its Lexus and Scion subsidiaries had a strong showing in 2009 with 11 winners but were shut out for 2010," the institute said.

Firing back, Toyota issued a statement the same day, reacting to IIHS' news release and its comments on Toyota that the institute put under the subheading "Missing the mark."

"IIHS' statement that Toyota was shut out for 2010 is extreme and misleading, considering there are 38 Toyota, Lexus and Scion models, and only three were tested for roof strength by IIHS: Camry, RAV4 and Yaris," the automaker said.

No Toyotas offered
    IIHS Senior Vice President Anne Fleming said Thursday that she wasn't surprised by the response. "This is the way automakers often react," she said, and called Toyota's statement disingenuous.

"We told every automaker, including Toyota, there would be this new criterion for roof strength and to flag the vehicles that they would like us to test," Fleming said. "Toyota did not come forth with any requests. Usually the reason automakers don't flag vehicles is they know the vehicles wouldn't pass."b>
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,922
    Usually the reason automakers don't flag vehicles is they know the vehicles wouldn't pass.

But she "couldn't say" which other mfgs. did not flag vehicles.

Others not making the list included BMW, Mazda, Mitsubishi, and Saab.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Let's not make too big a fuss over this -- the Institute's tests are not pass/fail, but rather Good, Acceptable, Marginal, and Poor (more like A, B, D, and F).

GM had only 2 vehicles that were rated Good in the roof crush testing, and Ford had only 2 if you exclude Volvo. The Chevy Aveo was Marginal, same as the Ford Escape without the hybrid engine.

Toyota did have the Camry, which rated Good in the new roof test, but fell short on head restraints; the other 2 Toyotas tested (RAV4 and Yaris) scored an Acceptable on the roof test. In fact, the Camry had the strongest roof in numerical terms among the 18 midsize moderately priced sedans tested thus far.

Moreover, the only vehicles to score a Poor thus far on the new test were the Kia Sportage (and twin Hyundai Tucson) as well as the Ford Escape Hybrid and its clones.

Toyota will be back with more models to test, as will GM and Ford. This isn't over by a long shot.

I will agree that it was not in good judgment for the Toyota spokesman to trot out the tired old line that "our cars meet or exceed all federal safety standards." Of course, otherwise your cars wouldn't be allowed to be sold in the US!
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,139
    I will probably get my neighbor to drop in a small V8 which are plentiful.

Sometimes it's nice to live in an area with no emission testing/vehicle inspection... I've sometimes thought about retrofitting a used Jetta or Passat with one of the high-powered diesels that's not offered here, but I think the different fuel standards might cause a problem, plus if it ever breaks, you have a one-of-a-kind vehicle to figure out how to fix.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    "Let's not make too big a fuss over this" True, but there are some that love to do that to the brand they really hate!! Just ignore or post negative stuff about other brands - it is easy to find. :P
    In that vein, should I point out that the Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima had the worst roof crush scores of any of the 18 midsize sedans -- Marginal? All the others scored Acceptable or Good, with the Camry at the top.
    My understanding is CA is not to rough on engine changes. At least not if you are putting a diesel into an existing vehicle. The one of a kind and getting totally involved keeping it running does not appeal to me as it did 50 years ago. I loved swapping engines and changing transmissions in the 40s and 50s vehicles. By about 1963 I was ready to let someone else get greasy. I maintain by Kubota tractor and that is enough.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    This little flareup IMO is mainly about the Corolla and the Prius.

The Camry as you noted is fine. It gets a GOOD rating on the new test and Toyota was never going to add the AHRs before the Gen 7 comes out anyway. Net effect nothing. With regards to this new test the Camry remains in higher standing than it's main rivals the Accord and Altima as well the recently redone Fusion. Nothing to see here move on.

But the Corolla and the Prius were not submitted while the Civic was, getting GOOD marks. If one looks at the segment rankings all they imply is incomplete testing. Note: [ not tested ]. This appears to put the onus on the IIHS but says nothing about the vehicles.

IIHS small car segment

The IIHS is somewhat left in a lurch in recommending some vehicles but admitting that the others are fine but they just haven't tested them. Their backhand at Toyota was IMO a jab to get more vehicles to be tested. Without vehicles to be tested the IIHS's results are interesting but very incomplete.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,692
    Toyota takes blame for part from Dana

November 23, 2009 - 12:01 am ET

Toyota Motor Corp. is taking the blame for rust problems on 2000 and 2001 Toyota Tundra pickups. But in a highly unusual move, the automaker identified Dana Holding Corp. as the supplier of the trucks' frames.

Dana also built the frames for 750,000 1995-2004 Tacoma pickups that faced similar rust problems and were the subject of voluntary recalls and buybacks last year.

Toyota was to submit information to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration last week in response to complaints about rusted frames on the pickups.

Dana spokesman Chuck Hartlage said, "We are assisting Toyota with this investigation" on the Tundras.

...."It is too early to speculate what we will do for Tundra," Lyons said. "They're only looking at one specific portion of the frame -- the cross member that supports the spare tire -- not the entire frame."

NHTSA is investigating 20 reports that relate to spare tire separation and brake system failures as a result of frame corrosion on the vehicles.

NHTSA has received 238 complaints about the 2000 models and 48 about the 2001 models. The complaints range from brake-line corrosion to corrosion of the entire frame. More than 70 complaints had been posted since NHTSA launched its preliminary evaluation of the problem on Oct. 6.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091123/OEM/311239951/1128

So are they blaming Dana or are they not? Why point a finger at Dana if they "don't blame them"? And are they going to go on having rust problems with the frames of all their trucks?

Maybe automakers depend too heavily on their outside suppliers these days....

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• Toyota in that design. Maybe the 1981 series Toyota
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,002
    I'd say that new Toyota coupe looks like a Honda styling exercise, something caught in between an Acura RSX and the current-gen Civic coupe. Not a bad looking car, but doesn't really do anything for me.

I guess if you squint your eyes a bit, it might pass off as that generation of Celica that ran from around 1978-81...it has a similar, slicked-back look. The Corolla back then, at least from 1979-83, had more of a forward thrust to the front-end. I always thought those little hardtops they offered were neat. They offered one that was a notchback coupe, and the other was a 2-door, sort of splitting the difference between wagon and hatchback.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,186
    I agree. The fact that they had to borrow from the govt. doesn't change my opinion about GM one bit. I still love Buick and Cadillac cars and look forward to many more in the future. I would love to get a new LaCrosse for my wife someday.
    I would mourn the loss of GM more than my own impending death. I would follow GM to hell, even if it meant leaving heaven to do so. Did you "babyboomers" ever think where your kids or your grandchildren are going to work? A young girl who works with me is going for her law degree. She was looking at jobs in the classifieds and the best one was for a warehouse worker. You've got people at Best Buy with masters degrees! What a tragic waste of intellect and talent. You didn't hear of such stories when GM was on top and there were plenty of manufacturing jobs for anybody who wanted to work. Keep sending those jobs out of the country, boomers! Just remember, it'll be Gen-X and Y who you so royally screwed who will be looking after you in your dotage!
    I'm so (censored) sick of the "me generation" I could spit brass tacks. They squanderd the largess left to them by the WWII generation. I feel a lot more in common with my grandpop's generation than any boomers or my own.
    Good for you, xlu! What did you purchase? We're very happy with our recent GM purchases - a 2005 Buick LaCrosse and a 2007 Cadillac DTS Performance.
    I have to wonder if someone that refuses to buy from an automaker that accepts government bailout money, realizes that Toyota is in that group?

If Toyota does reach a deal, it will be the first Japanese automaker to apply for assistance from the new emergency fund, which is tapping $5 billion from the Japanese government this month to lend to Japanese corporations that operate internationally.

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/mar2009/gb2009033_969062.htm

Toyota, Honda, Mazda May Ask for Government Bailout

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/daily-news/090304-Toyota-Honda-- Mazda-May-Ask-for-Government-Bailout/

Is Ford the only automaker standing on its own two feet?
    Ford took out loans from the Dept. of Energy for the development of new fuel-efficient vehicles, as did Tesla. Aptera is also seeking to receive some of these funds as well. There probably aren't any major automakers in the world right now that haven't accepted some form of government aid.
    GM & C get the prize for the biggest bailouts. I would not say that buying a vehicle from either would be based on the government bailouts. If any company comes up with something I like it would be based on the vehicle not the company. Right now there is only one vehicle that excites me. Nothing from ToyLex is even close. Wife says no! :shades:

I was a direct supplier to Ford, Chrysler and indirectly to GM and Toyota for years and years in the 80s and 90s. Dana was one of our customers along with Magna and others. They were Big customers, HUGE customers, in the $Millions per month rangeat times.

These parts are fabricated as subassemblies in the various subcontractors plants then shipped to the assembly plant. The subassemblies are simply dropped into the production line. No checking is done on any of these items at assembly It's assumed and required that all testing and checking be done at the fabrication level.

The understanding in being a sole supplier is that the vendor is fully responsible for any and all costs if the material or part fails. All makers had this provision in the contracts. It's not negotiable.

The material in question is likely to be HSLA Hot Rolled Steel with a minimum YP of 50k psi that was hydroformed into the required shape then welded into the final configuration. It's almost always the welding that causes the problems. Welding causes unnatural stresses to be introduced into the Heat Affected Zone ( HAF ) along possibly with outside contaminants that weaken the weld and the joint.

It's the same with the 80K psi pipe that we supplied to Alaska. In this case because of the environmental risks every weld had to be X-Rayed to ensure that there were no weaknesses. These risks are present for HSLA plate and HSLA HR steel for bridges, buildings, graders, storage tanks, cryogenic tanks and a huge range of other products. The welds are the weakest points.
    It's the same with the 80K psi pipe that we supplied to Alaska.

Funny you should mention that. The guys at API in Prudhoe that inspect and straighten drill pipe, told me that US made drill pipe had a much higher failure rate than Japanese drill pipe.

I would think that Dana should be the responsible company if their frames fail. Though Toyota is the name on the truck.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    "Is Ford the only automaker standing on its own two feet? "

No, it is standing on a pile of debt too - it's all over the internet if you want to see for yourself. Fortunately, they are making good progress, but they still have a lot of debt.
    We supplied the plate for the actual pipelines. 100's of thousands of tons of special quality plate that got rolled into the transmission pipelines themselves.
    Just went to Costco. They have a Prius out front with a price reduction sign. They are selling through their program with about $1500 off the MSRP. This was a black one with what looked like leather. I thought that the Prius was in big demand with no discounts.