Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota on the mend?

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Her's is broken. 140,000miles today and lifetime average is 47.4 mpg. Nothing new to see here, move on.
    I see that Ford got BOTH North American Car of the Year AND North American Truck of the Year. While everyone is in here trying to out-shout each other about whether Toyota or GM (or VW) has 10 more annual sales, Ford is quietly going to make off with the market....using INNOVATION rather than COST-CUTTING as its secret ingredient.

You're joking right? This thread is about Toyota. It's not about Ford or GM or VW. Read the title.

The Toyota presentation yesterday in Detroit was much more innovative than any other maker's glitz about single vehicles. It laid out the whole corporate strategy for the next 10-20 years. No maker will have 8 new dedicated hybrids hitting the streets in the next 1 to 4 years. That's in addition to the G3 Prius and the updates to the HH and the TCH.

That's innovation. Maybe it doesn't fit your personal view but that's life, everybody can't be satisfied all the time. Life goes on.

BTW I love the Ford Touch interfaces. But I don't go over the to Ford boards and tell them how wonderful Toyota is.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    The Toyota presentation yesterday in Detroit was much more innovative than any other maker's glitz about single vehicles. It laid out the whole corporate strategy for the next 10-20 years.

Not having seen the presentation, was there any mention of hydrogen fuel cells or hydrogen in any form in their future?
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I don't know what you are getting at. As gagrice posted, the crash was a horrific one with fire, and the black box was not readable. They're not totally indestructible after all.
    ...diesels are not going to arrive at widespread acceptance in America any time soon, and that's not something you can lay solely at Toyota's door. Ford, GM, Honda, all have backed off their diesel plans in the last six months. I think maybe electric powertrains stole the limelight or something, but the emissions challenges, the costs, and the lack of acceptance of diesel caused them to make eminently logical decisions in light of their market.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't see diesel ever catching on in a big way in the US.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I think the question was if only one company can read the box and that company is liable for the accident, who can verify that it's unreadable? Seeing how these mega corporations operate, I wouldn't be surprised......
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    So they are going to put the same powertrain they already have in 8 more vehicles in 4 years. Ignoring for a moment that they have made similar promises in the past and have let their timeline slip badly (it's now 2010 and they still only have 3 Toyota-branded hybrids), it is not innovation. HSD has been around for a while.

Anyway, my point was that there is more to Toyota today than a spitball war over sales with GM. They still need to focus on getting the quality back up, which they should maybe do before pumping out new hybrid models. And it wouldn't hurt to suspend the relentless cost-cutting for a little while, IMO.

Now tell me, will there be a hybrid Corolla? I have mentioned the proposed Yaris hybrid in a couple of spots, and can't find anyone who thinks that would be much of an idea. OTOH, the new Focus and new Civic launch this year, and a hybrid Corolla would be a good way to compete with them, given that the last update of the Corolla was somewhat underwhelming.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• ingvaringvar Member Posts: 205
    Tiny cars with a battery not an innovation. BMW creates new smart driver's seats, colored projection displays, smarter car computers, engines with more HP and more torque & etc.
    Yes. One of the key thrusts of this new strategy is the ongoing trials under government supervision of FCHVs. They currently have a Highlander like FCHV in service that can go 430 miles per fillup. It generates no exhaust at all, water vapor.

Toyota is on record as saying that it can bring this technology to market affordably by the next Generation of vehicles in 2015. Honda is going in the same direction with the FCHV Clarity.

These can be on the roads and running well before affordable BEVs. But just like BEVs it's an infrastructure problem; charging stations that'll get you up to 100 miles or hydrogen fueling stations that can get you up to 450 miles?
    Nope that's not accurate. The text of the presentation is on Toyota's website ==>About the Company ==> News

You saw the hybrid Yaris yesterday, FT-CH concept, but it'll be called the Prius-something. It will be the first of the 8 new dedicated hybrids. As I said several pages back now what Toyota is going to do is use the marketing hammer that is the Prius name. Torrance has been fighting to get Toyota's agreement on this and now apparently it has been given.

Read the presentation. In addition there is this Toyota video for the new concept

The bigger issue as I see it is that Toyota now agrees with the US Govt that petro-fuels are absolutely going to be insufficient in the relatively near term to power the vehicles of the world as it grows and expands. I'd say that the sudden movements by the governments in Europe and China as well to accelerate low emissions/low fuel usage technologies is a further confirmation of the data and scenarios that they're privvy to seeing that we are not.

Toyota however is the first huge industrial company to come out and state that it's future strategy is planned around the scenario that petro-fuel will either run short for the driving public and/or that the driving public will see pricing run up so high that it causes economic hardship to the point that it turns away from auto's.

Neither situation is good for a huge international giant in the auto business. Toyota is telling everyone that in the event that these scenario's do come sooner rather than later that it will have options for the public, options that don't rely solely on petro-fuel. That is innovation on a huge scale.

This is a huge statement IMO that no other company of this size has ever made.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Not having seen the presentation, was there any mention of hydrogen fuel cells or hydrogen in any form in their future?

I think they've wisely decided that hydrogen is a non-starter.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Sorry if this is already posted - don't have time to look back and find out:

Toyota will install brake override systems to prevent runaway vehicles

How do you say "better late than never" in Japanese?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >"better late than never" in Japanese?

We spin it as "wonderful." It's the best thing ever. It's the way everybody should be doing it.

Nothing to see here. Everybody move on! (translated: we don't want to talk about that!)

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Oh Yes Dey Do.

Prius has won all sorts of Awesome awards.

Prius ushered in the Era of Economy.

Prius has record for most miles on a tank of gas.

Fuel economy in Prius = Awesome.

Resale Value in Prius = Awesome.

Awesome and Prius go together quite well.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Oh Yes Dey Do.

Prius has won all sorts of Awesome awards.

Prius ushered in the Era of Economy.

Prius has record for most miles on a tank of gas.

Fuel economy in Prius = Awesome.

Resale Value in Prius = Awesome.

Awesome and Prius go together quite well.

I wouldn't dispute those facts, but the car doesn't interest me. Well, I find the technology interesting, but the car itself itself does nothing for me. I don't blame anyone for wanting one if their primary goal is to use less fuel. The Prius seems to be extremely well built and engineered, but it's just to boring for my tastes.

Gas isn't nearly expensive enough (yet) for me to change my ways. I don't drive enough during the week with only me in the car to justify the expense of an additional car for commuting purposes. I usually drive maybe 50 miles M-F, but on the weekends I need the room and towing ability of a BOF SUV. I often drive 150-250 miles on the weekends to and from the lake during the summer (a Prius won't haul our stuff or tow our boat).

Gas will have to get to the $6+/gal range for something like a Prius to make sense for me. Even then I want something that is remotely rewarding to drive. Good fuel economy alone won't do it, if that's all I cared about, I'll just drive my electric Club Car everywhere.
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Member Posts: 177
    I saw this recently...

"Newsflash! Toyota will equip all vehicles with a lever that will allow the vehicle to be shifted into neutral under any circumstance, thus allowing drivers to stop any unintended acceleration. Said levers will be located either between the front seats or on the steering column. The neutral shift function may be multiplexed with the forward and reverse selection option to reduce implementation costs. Other automakers are rumored to follow suit.

Oh yeah, shifting the car into neutral would require the driver to actually know how to drive. Never mind."

I know 6 Prius owners. My observation is that they don't accelerate very well going uphill or up grade when merging into Interstate traffic going 70 or more. Maybe even 60 or so.

My first economy car was a Datsun B210 in 1975.

John
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    sit and stare at this post and you can learn something about a Prius.
    not broken, she is taking a lot of short trips with the heat on, so the gas engine is running.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    This is the Yaris hybrid plans I was talking about:

Toyota Adjusts Yaris Future

January 06, 2010 / By Paul Horrell

Click to view Gallery
    The 2009 Toyota YarisToyota's subcompact cars plans have been knocked sideways by the recession. The company was planning a new generation version of its Toyota Yaris that would feature the innovative engineering of the tiny iQ, but it will now instead rebody the current Yaris (pictured) for 2012.

However, in search of ultra-economy, Toyota will make a hybrid version -- a full hybrid, as opposed to the mild-hybrid system in the Honda Insight. Toyota plans to release hybrids across its range. In Europe it is launching an Auris -- the European Corolla-equivalent hatchback -- with Hybrid Synergy Drive.

......The original plan was to design a range of subcompacts longer than the iQ but with the same packaging solutions and front platform, yielding a very spacious five-seat car, and an additional seven-seater a little bigger than a Honda Fit. But now, the need to save money on retooling Yaris plants means the current car will get a straightforward rebody.

http://www.motortrend.com/future/112_0912_toyota_yaris_future/index.html

I was not talking about that FT-CH monstrosity they pushed at the show. I am doubtful that will ever see the light of day, and if it doesn't that might be for the best.....

And they could sure do themselves a favor, as I said before, if one of those 8 promised hybrids is the Corolla. If hybrid-hating Europe can have a hybrid Corolla, why can't we?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Yeah I kind of agree with that. Its not an enthusiasts' vehicle. Its a car for people that don't care about cars and want to get to work and the store and think gas is going to be $10/gal next week. Or they want to feel good about the environment. Or they want to lessen the US reliance on foreign oil. Or they have some moral/ethical/politcal statement to make and it helps them do it. For all those other uses, it is very good.

My uncle had the best reason: he bought his used because it happened to have the sticker for the HOV lane in southern California. Apparently, using the car pool lane alone in a Prius is Awesome.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    "Europe where about 70% of all private passenger cars are diesel"

Read this article. It tells us that Europe's government taxes gasoline at a much higher rate to get people to buy diesel and it talks about how the automakers in the usa are going to get more technical with the gas engines to get better performance/ gas mileage like direct injection, turbo, supercharger.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4722851
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Europe's government taxes gasoline at a much higher rate to get people to buy diesel

Yes, and in the U.S. our gov. taxes diesel higher than gasoline to get people to buy gasoline ! That tells me that there is plenty of oil still available and that our gov is not interested in decreasing our imports of oil.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • xluxlu Member Posts: 457
    1/21/10, AP:

NEW YORK – Toyota said Thursday it is recalling 2.3 million vehicles in the U.S. to fix accelerator pedals that can become stuck, the latest in a string of quality problems that have bedeviled the Japanese automaker.

The latest move comes just months after Toyota Motor Corp. recalled 4.2 million vehicles over concerns that accelerator pedals could become lodged under floor mats, causing sudden acceleration.
    "Our investigation indicates that there is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position," Toyota USA group vice president Irv Miller said in a statement.

Another 2.3 million Toyotas recalled for accelerator sticking problem.

Maybe we're getting a little closer to the truth on the unintended acceleration exclusive of a few floor mat-caused issues. There's a mechanical problem in the linkage!!!
    3.8 million here. 2.3 million there. Pretty soon they'll have recalled a whole lot of cars. More than any other manufacturer?

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Another link:

Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles to Address Sticking Accelerator Pedal (Straightline)

Here's the Toyota Press Release.

I don't recall anyone in here actually having a sticky pedal - did I miss somebody?
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    the engineering data were evident from previous press-releases and confirmed reports from Toyota itself.

and since we first started arguing about whether there was a much-deeper/much-more-dangerous problem than floor mats, there
    4 more deaths the day after Christmas.
    60 more "incidents" since then.
    it's tragic.

I'll be sure to never buy a toyota and will continue to advise my friends/family who own toyotas to sell/trade them immediately for a car designed/tested by much better engineers and/or engineering processes. the toyota engineers ought to be put on suicide watch, they must be quite depressed to know what has resulted from their mistakes.
    The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has been looking into two recent incidents in Texas and New Jersey, and was considering starting an investigation. Four people died on Dec. 26 near Dallas when a Toyota Avalon sped off a road and into a pond. Police found the floor mats in its trunk.

Until Thursday, Toyota had denied that there was a mechanical or electronic problem with the pedals. The company said the problem was “rare” but could result in a worn gas pedal being difficult to depress, slow to spring back or stuck partially depressed.
    “Our investigation indicates that there is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position,” Irv Miller, a group vice president of Toyota Motors Sales U.S.A., said.
    --http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/22/business/22toyota.html

Move on. There's nothing more to see here! :blush: :P

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Toyota says when the accelerator pedal becomes WORN. No two year old vehicle should have a worn accelerator. Maybe a 20 year old vehicle there is an excuse for being worn.

According to Toyota, the condition is rare but can occur when the pedal mechanism becomes worn.

These are the models affected by the recall:

2009-2010 RAV4
    2009-2010 Corolla
    2009-2010 Matrix
    2005-2010 Avalon
    2010 Highlander
    2007-2010 Tundra
    2008-2010 Sequoia

There have been many complaints in the news and on NHTSA about sticky gas pedals. It was always blamed on the driver or the floor mats. At least up till now. Some investigation must have caught Toyota off guard. They have a very poorly designed accelerator in their newer vehicles. They all need to be replaced.
    >2009-2010 Corolla
    2009-2010 Matrix

I notice the Corolla and Matrix are listed separately. Someone here acted like they were the same car in the past when I suggested they were two unique vehicles. ;)

These are the models affected by the recall:

What's odd is that the biggest discussion about unintended acceleration around here is the Toyota Sienna Uncontrolled Acceleration one.

There's also these:

Tacoma unintentional acceleration (no Taco on the recall).

Unintended Acceleration (Lexus RX)

Other makes are represented too:

Anyone experience Sudden Unintended Acceleration in a Santa Fe

Lumina Unintended Acceleration
  • 2012aveo2012aveo Member Posts: 43
    No 2 year old or even 5 year old car should have a worn accelerator pedal. My 19 and a half year old 1990 Toyota Celica has a flawless accelerator pedal and I am sure your 1990 Lexus LS400 also has a flawless pedal. I think there is definitely a problem with Toyota's drive-by-wire electronic throttle system. In another forum I have read about a problem some Tacoma owners had with their cruise control system which is actually integrated with the electronic throttle. In these cases their Tacoma trucks accelerated slightly on their own when placed in cruise control.

I am really disappointed with how far in quality many of the newer Toyota's built after 1998 or so have dropped. However I still plan to purchase a 2010 Yaris. It is a simple small displacement econobox car that I think is still a safe bet. If Toyota does not modernize the engine in the Yaris for 2011, maybe I will buy one then. But sadly I would be very hesitant to buy a newly designed engine from Toyota. Never thought I would ever say that. I have been monitoring Yaris forums since 2006 and have not heard of any major issues.
    My son in law has the cheapest Yaris made and loves it. Stick shift and roll up windows. $12k out the door. No problems so far. I think most car companies did better without all the high tech stuff.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Hey, maybe Honda isn't far behind. Read those blogs and you'll see bad A/C, trannies, engines like oil consumption and VCM issues. Detroit may have a shot if they can keep their act together. Then again, the new Chevy Equinox seems full of gremlins like the GM of yesteryear.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,440
    man, this was all over the news tonight. Local stuff, and lead story on the national news.

interesting interview with a guy whose camry took off, but he was smart enough to put it in neutral (learned it from the news) and actually coasted into a toyota dealer, and had the service manager see the car with smoking brakes and racing engine. And no mat interfering.

said that the repair consisted of replacing some electronic sensors? something like that.

so I guess the conspiracy theorists that thought there was more to the problem than mats might not have just been paranoid!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

with this much press, even the most brain dead consumers are going to hear. Will this finally have a notable impact on sales? Should know in a couple months.

and for the guy that mntioned quality, Honda has been having a tonof problems. Trannys still a major issue, and brakes on Accords. Plus some other stuff.

anecdotal, but quite a few people that have been loyal Honda owners are swearing off them for good.

I am actually in that camp (own 3), but if I had to replace any of them, it wouldn't be with a new Honda. Only possibility would be a CRV, but I doubt I would even go there.

>interesting interview with a guy whose camry took off, but he was smart enough to put it in neutral (learned it from the news) and actually coasted into a toyota dealer, and had the service manager see the car with smoking brakes and racing engine. And no mat interfering.

Which newscast had this story? Local station? I'd like to see if it's on their website.

At least the service writers couldn't say that there was no sign of what was wrong because it wouldn't do it for them...

it was on ABC. the 6:30 national news (east coast time) tonight.

ABC link with video.
    That should allow a bunch of cases to be re-opened. Did he say that Toyota charged him for the repairs to his car? If so he was sold another faulty designed system. I would go for the Lemon law if NJ has one. Of course the ABC news is a good start. I think Toyota has known all along their DBW is flawed. Or they would not have done the quick recall.
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Member Posts: 144
    Whoa! I'm almost afraid to buy any new car now. Maybe I'll just keep my 5 year-old Mazda 3 until it falls apart. :(
    Thanks for the ABC News links:

"The company had blamed floor mats for many of the acceleration incidents. An ABC News investigation, however, found that many drivers and safety experts rejected this explanation, asking instead if there was an issue with the electronic components that control acceleration. "

:::Isn't this what some of have been saying here? The earlier info and anecdotal evidence didn't pass the smell test as being only the pedal caught by extra mats on the floor. :sick:
    However they were brushed off by Toyota and salemen as just a customer problem.
    To wit: "Dozens of other Toyota owners had made similar claims about electronic problems with their cars, unconnected to floor mates, over the last few years, but they were routinely dismissed by Toyota as unfounded."

"Toyota says the recall of the "sticking gas pedals" covers Haggerty's problem, but he says his gas pedal was never stuck. "

Oddly, we have a second problem finally admitted to by Toyo. However, this owner is saying his pedal didn't stick, which is the current excuse, instead something electronic didn't work right.

>Did he say that Toyota charged him for the repairs to his car? If so he was sold another faulty designed system

He showed the "bill" and the reporter looked at it. He didn't call it a work order implying warranty payment.

He bought another possibly faulty set of parts and had to pay. :P

I would consider the brake pads, calipers, rotors shot on that car and needing replacement.

I would consider the transmission ruined from shifting into Drive with the motor revving at what might have been rev-limited RPMs.

If I were he, I would be asking for a replacement car. However, I wouldn't accept a confidentiality clause as part of accepting a new car. That would be a tactic for Toyo to use to get him out of the any further interviews. I can see 20/20, Dateline, 60 Minutes all wanting to do a 12-minute segment with this.

If

From another forum:

How much more of this can Toyota take?

Wrong question.

Let me put it this way: GM has never issued a recall for the plastic manifold issue. Chrysler and Ford never issued a recall for their epidemic transmission problems. Honda has never issued a recall for their V6/5AT issues.

Auto scribes and enthusiasts can’t seem to understand this: the general public is not really bothered when they get a recall letter for their otherwise-reliable Camry. They’ll just take it in at the next oil change and be done with it. Until Camries are stranding people on the side of the road or costing them thousands of dollars to replace blown engines and transmissions, the general public will not care because these are not quality-affecting recalls.

We get recalls for laptop batteries, child cribs, stereo power cords, coffee grinders, etc. We don’t see these are “quality issues”, either. Consumers just don’t care, and rightly so. Only enthusiasts who treat recall counts as a kind of scorecard (and the writers who play to that sentiment) are bothered by this.

According to all objective measures, Toyotas up and and including current models are actually very reliable, teething issues on a few models excepted. Until that changes, and it shows no sign of it, Toyota’s “reputation” is not really at risk.

My sentiments exactly. I'm not going to panic and dump my Camrys (which are older and not affected by the recalls anyway). BTW, objective measures include Consumer Reports (I know, go ahead and sneer!), TrueDelta and JD Powers.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    The accelerator pedal becomes WORN and fails to spring back? Something odd here. I've driven some very old high mileage vehicles and have yet to experience such an occurrance.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Whoa! I'm surprised the engine didn't blow revving like that. Good thing the guy thought of putting the car in neutral before he become another casualty. Let's go back to good old-fashioned low-tech linkages and leave all the Buck Rogers stuff in the comic books.
    Today's cars have rev limiters, so the fuel supply is cut off if the engine begins to over-rev. And most if not all cars today have electronic throttle linkages. This would be true of your DTS and your wife's LaCrosse. Your '89 Fleetwood most likely has the old-school linkage.
    I thought that Toyota had over rev protection when the vehicle is put into Neutral? At least that is what some posters have told us.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Let me put it this way: GM has never issued a recall for the plastic manifold issue. Chrysler and Ford never issued a recall for their epidemic transmission problems. Honda has never issued a recall for their V6/5AT issues.

Transmission problems don't kill people. Sticking accelerators, cars that catch on fire, cars with no brakes, those can kill and injure people. That is what gets recalled. The feds don't care if you bought a piece of crap or not, or if the warranty isn't long enough, Caveat emptor. But safety issues, like you mentioned in the rest of your post - laptop batteries that explode, strollers that whack off fingers, and of course cars with sticking throttles, no brakes, or that catch on fire, are safety issues. That is why they are recalled.

Toyotas up and and including current models are actually very reliable, teething issues on a few models excepted.

Yup, their engines can run at full speed for a long time before the car crashes.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    LOL, I am old enough to remember the low tech little spring that used to let the accelerator go up and down. I never knew one to break or wear out. You could also adjust the tension by fiddling with the spring.

All this high tech stuff reminds me of all the money the U.S. spent back during the space race to develop a pen that would write in zero gravity...the Russians just used a pencil....

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

>low tech little spring that used to let the accelerator go up and down. I never knew one to break or wear out.

I had a spring break on an old Ford long ago. Those American brand cars just never seem to last. ;) :sick: I hooked it around something else and drove it home. All I had to do was lift up the pedal with my toe under it when the spring didn't bring it all the way.