Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota on the mend?

Comments

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,933
    Europe's government taxes gasoline at a much higher rate to get people to buy diesel

Yes, and in the U.S. our gov. taxes diesel higher than gasoline to get people to buy gasoline ! That tells me that there is plenty of oil still available and that our gov is not interested in decreasing our imports of oil.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• xluxlu Posts: 457
    1/21/10, AP:

NEW YORK – Toyota said Thursday it is recalling 2.3 million vehicles in the U.S. to fix accelerator pedals that can become stuck, the latest in a string of quality problems that have bedeviled the Japanese automaker.

The latest move comes just months after Toyota Motor Corp. recalled 4.2 million vehicles over concerns that accelerator pedals could become lodged under floor mats, causing sudden acceleration.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,301
    "Our investigation indicates that there is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position," Toyota USA group vice president Irv Miller said in a statement.

Another 2.3 million Toyotas recalled for accelerator sticking problem.

Maybe we're getting a little closer to the truth on the unintended acceleration exclusive of a few floor mat-caused issues. There's a mechanical problem in the linkage!!!
    3.8 million here. 2.3 million there. Pretty soon they'll have recalled a whole lot of cars. More than any other manufacturer?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,990
    Another link:

Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles to Address Sticking Accelerator Pedal (Straightline)

Here's the Toyota Press Release.

I don't recall anyone in here actually having a sticky pedal - did I miss somebody?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• eliaselias Posts: 1,931
    the engineering data were evident from previous press-releases and confirmed reports from Toyota itself.

and since we first started arguing about whether there was a much-deeper/much-more-dangerous problem than floor mats, there
    4 more deaths the day after Christmas.
    60 more "incidents" since then.
    it's tragic.

I'll be sure to never buy a toyota and will continue to advise my friends/family who own toyotas to sell/trade them immediately for a car designed/tested by much better engineers and/or engineering processes. the toyota engineers ought to be put on suicide watch, they must be quite depressed to know what has resulted from their mistakes.
    The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has been looking into two recent incidents in Texas and New Jersey, and was considering starting an investigation. Four people died on Dec. 26 near Dallas when a Toyota Avalon sped off a road and into a pond. Police found the floor mats in its trunk.

Until Thursday, Toyota had denied that there was a mechanical or electronic problem with the pedals. The company said the problem was “rare” but could result in a worn gas pedal being difficult to depress, slow to spring back or stuck partially depressed.
    “Our investigation indicates that there is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position,” Irv Miller, a group vice president of Toyota Motors Sales U.S.A., said.
    --http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/22/business/22toyota.html

Move on. There's nothing more to see here! :blush: :P
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,035
    Toyota says when the accelerator pedal becomes WORN. No two year old vehicle should have a worn accelerator. Maybe a 20 year old vehicle there is an excuse for being worn.

According to Toyota, the condition is rare but can occur when the pedal mechanism becomes worn.

These are the models affected by the recall:

2009-2010 RAV4
    2009-2010 Corolla
    2009-2010 Matrix
    2005-2010 Avalon
    2010 Highlander
    2007-2010 Tundra
    2008-2010 Sequoia

There have been many complaints in the news and on NHTSA about sticky gas pedals. It was always blamed on the driver or the floor mats. At least up till now. Some investigation must have caught Toyota off guard. They have a very poorly designed accelerator in their newer vehicles. They all need to be replaced.
    >2009-2010 Corolla
    2009-2010 Matrix

I notice the Corolla and Matrix are listed separately. Someone here acted like they were the same car in the past when I suggested they were two unique vehicles. ;)
    These are the models affected by the recall:

What's odd is that the biggest discussion about unintended acceleration around here is the Toyota Sienna Uncontrolled Acceleration one.

There's also these:

Tacoma unintentional acceleration (no Taco on the recall).

Unintended Acceleration (Lexus RX)

Other makes are represented too:

Anyone experience Sudden Unintended Acceleration in a Santa Fe

Lumina Unintended Acceleration

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• No 2 year old or even 5 year old car should have a worn accelerator pedal. My 19 and a half year old 1990 Toyota Celica has a flawless accelerator pedal and I am sure your 1990 Lexus LS400 also has a flawless pedal. I think there is definitely a problem with Toyota's drive-by-wire electronic throttle system. In another forum I have read about a problem some Tacoma owners had with their cruise control system which is actually integrated with the electronic throttle. In these cases their Tacoma trucks accelerated slightly on their own when placed in cruise control.

I am really disappointed with how far in quality many of the newer Toyota's built after 1998 or so have dropped. However I still plan to purchase a 2010 Yaris. It is a simple small displacement econobox car that I think is still a safe bet. If Toyota does not modernize the engine in the Yaris for 2011, maybe I will buy one then. But sadly I would be very hesitant to buy a newly designed engine from Toyota. Never thought I would ever say that. I have been monitoring Yaris forums since 2006 and have not heard of any major issues.
    My son in law has the cheapest Yaris made and loves it. Stick shift and roll up windows. $12k out the door. No problems so far. I think most car companies did better without all the high tech stuff.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,213
    Hey, maybe Honda isn't far behind. Read those blogs and you'll see bad A/C, trannies, engines like oil consumption and VCM issues. Detroit may have a shot if they can keep their act together. Then again, the new Chevy Equinox seems full of gremlins like the GM of yesteryear.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,701
    man, this was all over the news tonight. Local stuff, and lead story on the national news.

interesting interview with a guy whose camry took off, but he was smart enough to put it in neutral (learned it from the news) and actually coasted into a toyota dealer, and had the service manager see the car with smoking brakes and racing engine. And no mat interfering.

said that the repair consisted of replacing some electronic sensors? something like that.

so I guess the conspiracy theorists that thought there was more to the problem than mats might not have just been paranoid!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

with this much press, even the most brain dead consumers are going to hear. Will this finally have a notable impact on sales? Should know in a couple months.

and for the guy that mntioned quality, Honda has been having a tonof problems. Trannys still a major issue, and brakes on Accords. Plus some other stuff.

anecdotal, but quite a few people that have been loyal Honda owners are swearing off them for good.

I am actually in that camp (own 3), but if I had to replace any of them, it wouldn't be with a new Honda. Only possibility would be a CRV, but I doubt I would even go there.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

>interesting interview with a guy whose camry took off, but he was smart enough to put it in neutral (learned it from the news) and actually coasted into a toyota dealer, and had the service manager see the car with smoking brakes and racing engine. And no mat interfering.

Which newscast had this story? Local station? I'd like to see if it's on their website.

At least the service writers couldn't say that there was no sign of what was wrong because it wouldn't do it for them...
    it was on ABC. the 6:30 national news (east coast time) tonight.

ABC link with video.

That should allow a bunch of cases to be re-opened. Did he say that Toyota charged him for the repairs to his car? If so he was sold another faulty designed system. I would go for the Lemon law if NJ has one. Of course the ABC news is a good start. I think Toyota has known all along their DBW is flawed. Or they would not have done the quick recall.
  • Whoa! I'm almost afraid to buy any new car now. Maybe I'll just keep my 5 year-old Mazda 3 until it falls apart. :(
    Thanks for the ABC News links:

"The company had blamed floor mats for many of the acceleration incidents. An ABC News investigation, however, found that many drivers and safety experts rejected this explanation, asking instead if there was an issue with the electronic components that control acceleration. "

:::Isn't this what some of have been saying here? The earlier info and anecdotal evidence didn't pass the smell test as being only the pedal caught by extra mats on the floor. :sick:
    However they were brushed off by Toyota and salemen as just a customer problem.
    To wit: "Dozens of other Toyota owners had made similar claims about electronic problems with their cars, unconnected to floor mates, over the last few years, but they were routinely dismissed by Toyota as unfounded."

"Toyota says the recall of the "sticking gas pedals" covers Haggerty's problem, but he says his gas pedal was never stuck. "

Oddly, we have a second problem finally admitted to by Toyo. However, this owner is saying his pedal didn't stick, which is the current excuse, instead something electronic didn't work right.
    >Did he say that Toyota charged him for the repairs to his car? If so he was sold another faulty designed system

He showed the "bill" and the reporter looked at it. He didn't call it a work order implying warranty payment.

He bought another possibly faulty set of parts and had to pay. :P

I would consider the brake pads, calipers, rotors shot on that car and needing replacement.

I would consider the transmission ruined from shifting into Drive with the motor revving at what might have been rev-limited RPMs.

If I were he, I would be asking for a replacement car. However, I wouldn't accept a confidentiality clause as part of accepting a new car. That would be a tactic for Toyo to use to get him out of the any further interviews. I can see 20/20, Dateline, 60 Minutes all wanting to do a 12-minute segment with this.

If
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    From another forum:

How much more of this can Toyota take?

Wrong question.

Let me put it this way: GM has never issued a recall for the plastic manifold issue. Chrysler and Ford never issued a recall for their epidemic transmission problems. Honda has never issued a recall for their V6/5AT issues.

Auto scribes and enthusiasts can’t seem to understand this: the general public is not really bothered when they get a recall letter for their otherwise-reliable Camry. They’ll just take it in at the next oil change and be done with it. Until Camries are stranding people on the side of the road or costing them thousands of dollars to replace blown engines and transmissions, the general public will not care because these are not quality-affecting recalls.

We get recalls for laptop batteries, child cribs, stereo power cords, coffee grinders, etc. We don’t see these are “quality issues”, either. Consumers just don’t care, and rightly so. Only enthusiasts who treat recall counts as a kind of scorecard (and the writers who play to that sentiment) are bothered by this.

According to all objective measures, Toyotas up and and including current models are actually very reliable, teething issues on a few models excepted. Until that changes, and it shows no sign of it, Toyota’s “reputation” is not really at risk.

My sentiments exactly. I'm not going to panic and dump my Camrys (which are older and not affected by the recalls anyway). BTW, objective measures include Consumer Reports (I know, go ahead and sneer!), TrueDelta and JD Powers.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,193
    The accelerator pedal becomes WORN and fails to spring back? Something odd here. I've driven some very old high mileage vehicles and have yet to experience such an occurrance.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,193
    Whoa! I'm surprised the engine didn't blow revving like that. Good thing the guy thought of putting the car in neutral before he become another casualty. Let's go back to good old-fashioned low-tech linkages and leave all the Buck Rogers stuff in the comic books.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Today's cars have rev limiters, so the fuel supply is cut off if the engine begins to over-rev. And most if not all cars today have electronic throttle linkages. This would be true of your DTS and your wife's LaCrosse. Your '89 Fleetwood most likely has the old-school linkage.
    I thought that Toyota had over rev protection when the vehicle is put into Neutral? At least that is what some posters have told us.
  • Let me put it this way: GM has never issued a recall for the plastic manifold issue. Chrysler and Ford never issued a recall for their epidemic transmission problems. Honda has never issued a recall for their V6/5AT issues.

Transmission problems don't kill people. Sticking accelerators, cars that catch on fire, cars with no brakes, those can kill and injure people. That is what gets recalled. The feds don't care if you bought a piece of crap or not, or if the warranty isn't long enough, Caveat emptor. But safety issues, like you mentioned in the rest of your post - laptop batteries that explode, strollers that whack off fingers, and of course cars with sticking throttles, no brakes, or that catch on fire, are safety issues. That is why they are recalled.

Toyotas up and and including current models are actually very reliable, teething issues on a few models excepted.

Yup, their engines can run at full speed for a long time before the car crashes.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,933
    LOL, I am old enough to remember the low tech little spring that used to let the accelerator go up and down. I never knew one to break or wear out. You could also adjust the tension by fiddling with the spring.

All this high tech stuff reminds me of all the money the U.S. spent back during the space race to develop a pen that would write in zero gravity...the Russians just used a pencil....

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

>low tech little spring that used to let the accelerator go up and down. I never knew one to break or wear out.

I had a spring break on an old Ford long ago. Those American brand cars just never seem to last. ;) :sick: I hooked it around something else and drove it home. All I had to do was lift up the pedal with my toe under it when the spring didn't bring it all the way.