Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    my B.F. increased road noise a little bit. but i also have a softtop... the traction with the BF's are truly amazing! i wont use anything else on my tracker. if you look at tirerack.com you can review all types of tires. the B.F. AT's scored the best for all around traction. plus they even look great. the rain traction of these tires are also impressive. I've gone places with my B.F.G tires that makes peoples heads shake.. i;ve gone through water to the point where it started to come in the door.. and in mud and rock they are more than i expected
  • keithjkeithj Member Posts: 3
    I have a '03 Tracker Convertible (base) with 18k miles and just recently upgraded from the stock 15x5.5 195/75-15 Goodyear Wrangler ST to 16x8 235/60-16 Kumho Ecsta HP4 716. Of course mine is a street cruiser, so I didn't have the need for off-road tires. The Kumhos are very quiet, even more so than the stinky Wranglers.

The offset will play a huge difference in what will fit. In my case, I needed -6 offset to clear the calipers.

Here are some pics for those interested:
    <http://www.cardomain.com/id/keith_757>
    i was just wondering. did you have any issues in making sharp turns? any rubbing?
  • ckyeungckyeung Member Posts: 9
    Thank you for your input.

After reading your suggestion and doing some research online, I have had 4 BF Goodrich All-Terrains installed on my 2001 Tracker LT. They are truely wonderful and look great. We have had some snow here and they performed admirably. A definite upgrade from the stock Goodyear Integrity tires. Of course, the BFs are truck tires while the Integritys are for passenger cars. The BFs have a bit more road noise, but they worth it. We haven't had heavy snow, but I am pretty confident that they will do well.
    this coming FEB my BF a/t tires will be 3 years ago! still have alot of tread on them also. I love my BF-all terrains. when i need tires, i WILL get another set of them babies! and you are right there is a slight increase in road noise.. but what you gain in return is well worth it. they really grip!
  • keithjkeithj Member Posts: 3
    sorry for the delay is getting back to you (#987). No, no rubbing at all. With this style, "-6" is your offset. I have not seen more-positive offsets with an 8 inch wide wheel. They may be around, but it was tough enough getting these to fit. I first tried American Racing Burst, and they fit but the offsets made it impossible unless going to a 15x8 which was a -19 offset. They were doable, but not the look I wanted once I got them on. I drove with them for a mile or two and they were pretty heavy.

Before I left the "Discount Tire" I told the guy to put on both front wheels and I turned from lock to lock and got out to look to make sure I was clear. Now I am an "on-road" vehicle, so I can't comment on what would happen while turnd to a lock and hitting a large bump.
    i think i remember hearing about people with trackers having some air conditioning problems. I believe i may be in the same boat. the other day i tried to turn on my a/c just to see how strong it was, and it wasnt there. in the summer i charged it with 1 can on the r-134a. i did this cause in the summer i thought the a/c was weak. maybe that was just a sign.? anyways. i think i remember people talking about damage to their a/c components? which ones? and is there any type of sealant cans of coolant out there. btw talking anout a 1999 tracker (2.0 engine)
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    You are probably referring to the "crop circle" damage to the a/c condenser. If you have been drafted into this club of victims of poor design, expect a $1,000 repair bill. To see if this is your problem, look through your grill with a flashlight. You may see a donut pattern of smashed fins on the condenser. It is easier to see if you remove the grill. There are quite a few posts regarding this problem in the Vitara Problems & Solutions forum. By the way, I have avoided a repeat problem by installing a car mask when driving in snow and freezing rain. I also removed the rubber stripping between the front fan shroud and condenser and put 1/8 inch thick washers on the mounting brackets between the fan shroud and a/c condenser. Good luck. I hope you haven't been drafted into the club of "crop circle" believers.
    thank you for the extremely quick response!! i havent looked yet to see if i have crop circles. but i would guess i do. since my tracker was the first year they changed. (or messed up) lol i wanted to ask you.. do you know on average what the mileage was for failure of these a/c units. the reason i ask is because i have 67k. also. i wanted to ask i know there isn't alot of softtop owners out there. but this winter i noticed a few little leaks. its towards the rear on the far corners. i only noticed it on very heavy rain. i thought about a Hard top. but they are over $1000. i do plan on keeping this tracker. its been the best car/suv i ever owned.. plus its worth more to me than it is as a resale.. thanks for your help!!
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    IMHO mileage has little to do with the problem. I believe it is caused by using the defroster while driving in freezing rain or snowfall. After disassembling my unit, I realized the electric cooling fan cannot touch the condenser. I believe what happens is that ice builds up on the front of the a/c condenser and the electric cooling fan (which switches on whenever the defroster is turned on)packs it into the fins of the condenser, thus smashing the fins. The design is great for cooling as long as the air is warm and dry. Did GM/Suzuki ever consider that SUV drivers sometimes venture out in the winter?
  • ruth1ruth1 Member Posts: 1
    I have two chevy trackers one is a 2001 and I have had no problems with it. But I bought a 2003 last year and my daughter was driving and she smelt smoke. opened the door to get out and it burnt up. has any one had this problem. isurance company doesn,t know either . but are paying 12000. witch doesn,t cover. any one else with this problem?
    where did the fire come from? under the tracker or under the hood?
    I finally had to change my brakes on my 1999 tracker. Front brakes only. I was shocked at how easy it was to do.. $37 for bendix brakes and once the wheel is removed, its only 2 bolts!! i never had brakes this easy to change. also i'm shocked at how long the stock brakes lasted. 69k miles..
  • olstylolstyl Member Posts: 2
    i had a tracker when i lived in alaska. one of the best winter vehicles i've owned. light enough to stop on a dime but still heavy enough to get good traction. could go through snow up to the top of the bumper.
  • olstylolstyl Member Posts: 2
    my tracker tows great i pull a single axle jet ski trailer with a 4 foot by eight foot deck and a full size sit down model tiger shark watercraft. i hardly know its back there
    Im post 1000... sorry i had to do it... 8)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Congratulations! Who will be #2000? :-)

tidester, host
  • zeke1312zeke1312 Member Posts: 7
    Regarding the A/C condenser problem, I experienced the issue after my 2000 Suzuki Vitara had about 15k on it. The typical bend fins in a circular pattern became the issue. I also noticed a slight increase in fan noise at idle. The temp guage was also slightly elevated. Suzuki replaced at no charge. Looking at the condenser once out of the vehicle, the bent fins were obvious. Also there was no evidence of the fan blades touching the condenser. I recently checked the condenser at 33k and no bent fins were seen. My opinion at this point is as the car was driven in rain at high speeds (say over 65mph, the fins were bent as the moisture and/or air was forced into the radiator area.. If you touched the fin area, it was very easy to bend a fin.
    i noticed that my 1999 tracker might be having a a/c problem.. in the summer i charged it with one can of coolant. then in the late fall i noticed nothing was there.. No cold air coming out. my tracker has 69k miles on it. i wanted to ask. which fan are you looking at? my tracker has a fan that runs all the time.. and a second fan that is electrical. where should i be looking for this problem.. Im almost afraid to look. as from what i read. it is a expensive item to fix!
  • satrackersatracker Member Posts: 2
    My girlfriends tracker needs new plugs. Does anyone know what the spark plug gap is for a 2000 model 2.0L Tracker?

Also one of the wire/boots has a flange on in. Can I purchase the boot/wire without purchasing the coil?

Advance Auto Parts told me that I have to purchase the whole coil to get the boot/wire?

That doesn't seem quite fair. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
  • satrackersatracker Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, that was supposed to read a damaged boot/wire flange, not just a flange. I tore it, and may need to replace it. Also, I may damage it further getting it off of the plug...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You have 30 minutes to make any edits after you post your message. Simply click on the Edit link that appears with your message after you post it.

Steve, Host
    thursday i changed my fuel filter, and while i was at advanced autoparts, I asked about plugs and thet coil pack. I want to try NGK iridium spark plugs. i use them in my bike and i swear by them!! i currently am using borche.(or however it is spelled). while i was there i asked about the coil pack. he said, he was all one unit and $125 EACH !!! i remember the dealer wanting $250 each. I don't need one. i was just asking, as my track is idling rough at idle. but since i changed the fuel filter and can a whole can of seafoam in it. it seems to be running great now!
  • smsthegeneralsmsthegeneral Member Posts: 1
    Hi All. I'm just starting to read this forum. I'm a proud owner of a 2002 ZR2 soft top, and am an engineer that worked at the CAMI plant in Canada as well. I've been looking into getting a hard top and was wondering if there are any suggestions out there. Thanks...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Welcome - it's always nice to have someone in the biz participating here.

Steve, Host
  • brimathbrimath Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a dumb question.

I have a 98 Tracker that was stolen and the interior was stripped. The cops found it and I have it back, and it seems to run fine. One of the first things I need to do is reattach the driver's seat to the car, but the bolts are missing.

What size are the anchor bolts to attach the front seat to the floor? I don't even know if they're metric or standard. Parts stores in the area don't have these on file, as they're minor bits.

I've never done any kind of auto work and this seems like a good time to start, especially with simple stuff like refurbishing the interior. Any help (even if it's yet another person telling me to just get a new car) would be appreciated.
  • fnhamfnham Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to both message boards and Trackers but was wondering what my options are for a soft-top 4WD with airbags and the bigger (HP) 4 cyl. engine? I don't care if it's a Suzuki or Chevy. One more question. Can you open up the roof under the front seat or is just for the back?
  • silverleafsilverleaf Member Posts: 1
    I dont know much of anything about car repair, but i am trying to learn (without creating more problems). My problem is my drivers side window. It is a 'manual' window. Anyways, when i roll it down it works fine, but when i attempt to roll er up it gets misaligned. The window tilts toward the front of the vehicle and i have to pull up on the front of the window to realign the glass. I have got the interior door panel off and have examined the cabling and track. Looks fine to me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)
  • teamqueteamque Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Chevy Tracker I've had since new; 80,000 miles today. Nice little truck however, now I need some assistance.
    Last week, we put it in 4x4 high, no problems. Today, put it in 4x4 and nothing. The light on the dash will not light up and it don't engage into 4 wheel drive. I'm wondering if there is an electrical problem or a general adjustment that needs to be made.
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!!
  • sueann7sueann7 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, we're wanting to tow a small camper with our '03 ZR2 Tracker. Looking at the smallest Fleetwood popup with an 8' box. UVW is 1253. Has anyone else had any success with towing a camper of this size?
    Thanks, Sue
    yes you can open the softtop just over the driver/passenger seat. i open mine all the time. unlatch it and pull back. i rarely take my complete softtop down. I was thinking of getting a hardtop for it at some point.
  • kizmet3kizmet3 Member Posts: 1
    Hello I have a tracker and was in the market for a cd player for my vehicle. Right now I have the original Delco AM/Fm Cassette stereo that it came with. I am wanting to purchase a cd player but had concerns of the cd player skipping due to the fact the tracker is a bouncy type ride. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a stereo make and model that would work well in a sport utility vehicle like the Tracker.
    I appreciate any feedback or suggestions.
    Thanks so much in advance.
    Peace&kindness from the Lone Star State!
    ~Fran
  • burgessburgess Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Tracker I had a hitch installed at the dealership, but want to do my own wiring do you know where I can find the wires to do this, Thanks Louise
    Should explain my self better, where can I access the wiring on the tracker, do I need to pull a cover off and if so is it close to the rear Thanks Louise
    Need to know where I can access the wiring on a 2001 Tracker, I just had a hitch installed that cost $200.00 and they want another $150.00 to wire it, and I'm going to try this myself, any help would be great, Thanks Louise
  • rocketfootballrocketfootball Member Posts: 6
    I have a 99 Chevy Tracker 2DR Convertible 4X4 with a 5-speed and the smaller 1.6 with 50000 miles that i just bought for $5000. I am 16 years old, and it is my first car. The tires are starting to go i will defiantly need new ones this spring. It has Uniroyal Tiger Paws on it and I am not impressed by their winter traction. I am asking to see if anyone has any suggestions on what kinda tires i should get. I have read alot of these Forums that are very supportive of the Bridgestone AT's Anyone with any input plz tell It would be appreciated.

And also, since I am a 16 year old You always have a want for more power does anyone have any cheap ( under $500) ideas on how to boost my car from 97HP to something up in the hundreds??????

Thanx
    rocketfootball
    i perfer B.F.Goodrich All-terrains. i have had them for 3 years. and they have been without a doubt the best tires i have ever bought. this year i will be replacing them, with the same make and model. i have NO problem in snow or off-roading at all with these tires
    i was wondering if anyone could give me info on replacing the seals to my soft top. i noticed some leaking h2o. i think it is mostly leaking on the soft top above my head. I also noticed leaking at the corners of the rear soft top "the big one" the leaks in the rear are only there during heavy rains. It leaks on the seams. i think i can patch that. I was toying with the idea of a hardtop.but i like to be able to drop the top whenever i like. just wondering if anyone knows of a place toi get a replacement seal withOut having to do to the dealer.
  • joeyrjoeyr Member Posts: 2
    i recently lifted my oil cap to find a sludgy, milky oil like substance. when i lifted the dipstick out it had the same sludge on it. i have a 1991 chevy tracker. does any one know how to fix this. the truck runs great! but am afraid to drive it. is this water in oil becouse it smells like gas.
    how is your coolant level. Im trying to think how water would get in your oil. unless it is a leak in your cooling system. if i was you.. i would get rid of that oil a.s.a.p/ then see if the water returns. if so, you know you have something more than just Condensation buildup. i surely would Not run the engine with it the way it is. thats asking for more problems
  • joeyrjoeyr Member Posts: 2
    i checked the coolant and level is fine. i changed oil, and now im going to let it run a day or so and change it again and check condition of oil coming out of engine.
    thanks for your help
  • ntimpntimp Member Posts: 4
    Bought 99 tracker last summer and love it. But today on the way home from work it stalled every time I took my foot off the gas and stepped on the brake. Any ideas before I have to take it to the dealer for repair or could it be bad gas or something easy.
    just wondering. how does the air filter look? is it clean? also remove and then reinstall the gas cap. i had my check engine light come on twice from just a simples thing like a gas cap. now since the idle is computer controlled. i am a little stumped. have you ever ran a good fuel injector cleaner b4? i just recently changed my fuel filter, and then ran a full can of seafoam in my tank. and wow my tracker came alive again. i also have to wonder this. what is the chances of you getting bad gas? i know this has happened to me on my bike many times! and i had to hold on the gas to keep it running..
  • jayscottjayscott Member Posts: 1
    A couple weeks ago my 96 Tracker 2 door convertible was struck broadside by a 86 Caprice running a red light. I wasn't injured, but both airbags deployed and the passenger door is smashed in about 12" at the bottom. The frame held up well and since I recently got the car running well and bought new seat covers and top, I'd like to try and keep it for a spare vehicle. Any suggestions on how to pull out the door at the bottom. The top of the door and the window is undamaged but the top sticks out a coupe inches where it should meet the roof. I have a winch that I also bought for it (2600 lb capacity) and am wondering if that could be used for pulling out the bottom of the door. Any suggestions would be appreciated since I really hate to lose this vehicle with warm weather on the way!
  • brandondonatbrandondonat Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Chevy Tracker. I have a pulley on my engine that is wabbling quite a bit when the Tracker is at idle. It wont do it until the car is warmed up (bout 10 minutes) and when the throttle cable is pushed for more power the wabble goes away. It is coming from the pully just below the water pump (is very clear that this is the wabbling pulley). Unfortunately I am waiting on my Haynes manual to arrive in the mail. Does anyone know what this pully goes to? If so, is there any way to tighten it... or am I going to have to get a new part altogether? Does anyone know where I can get some good second hand parts?

I also have the stock wheels on the car which are starting to show their age (4 years). Personally I think that they are just poor quality wheels. The laquer is starting to peel from the alloy and it is making a real mess of the wheels. Does anyone know where I can get new alloys.. factory or different model would be nice. Thanks -Brandon
  • woody72woody72 Member Posts: 73
    On my '01 2.0L the pulley under the water pump is the air conditioner compressor. If this is indeed what is wabbling I think you have no choice but to have someone knowledgeable with air conditioner components look at it. The pulley is integral with the compressor. It may be a bearing but it may be easier to replace it as a unit. Unfortunately I think this is an expensive part. Be sure your belt is at the correct tension. Good luck!
  • ntimpntimp Member Posts: 4
    The problem went away for a day now its back. when stopped at a light the engine started reving up like I was stepping on the gas but was not and car was in neutral. Now it's back to the same. Every time I step on the clutch and put it in neutral it dies.
    When slowing down in gear it's fine and runs fine when speeding up and shifting thru to fifth. Could it be, fuel filter, tps sensor, ? Have appointment at dealer on tuesday and not looking forward to it. Thanks...
    Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling that it was the A/C compressor... but wasn't 100% sure. I looked the part up and it is looking about $560.00. Do you have any idea where I could get second hand parts for the tracker? Thanks again for the reply. -Brandon
    question you said when you pull in the clutch and put it in N it stalls. does it stall b4 you get to N? cause if so. that makes me wonder if the clutch is Not fully disengaging. and when you try to stop and idle it stalls. "if this is the case" . You have a 99 right? i do remember reading about 1999 manual tranny trackers having problems. but i think it had something to do with a gear or beaing. you might wanna do a keyword search on here and look up past posts on your year of tracker.. i know there was something about the stickshift tracker that i read about
    I have looked into my compressor problem a bit on the net and found a few different things. I found that there was a recall on A/C compressors for the Chevy Tracker. Anyone know how to go about filing a report and maybe getting a new compressor. Info about recalls below:

Webite: http://www.alldata.com/TSB/11/0111AQIT.html
    15) TSB: 01-01-38-018
    Issue Date: October 2003
    TSB Title: A/C- Unnecessary Compressor Replacement
    or
    22) TSB: 01-01-39-003A
    Issue Date: July 2003
    TSB Title: A/C- Catastrophic Failure Debris Removal

If anyone knows anything about this it would be much appreciated if you could let me know. Thanks -Brandon