Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota on the mend?

Comments

• delthekingdeltheking Posts: 1,152
    Here`s a link to Toyota`s comeback plan straight from the horse`s mouth[article by Toyota head Akio Toyoda].. Toyota is coming back with a bang !! :shades: :P
    link title
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343
    Isn't suicide a bit much in response to poorly built cars?

Perhaps, but it is the appropriate response when you run a company that is "too big to fail" into the ground.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,090
    edited February 2010
    In all fairness Wagoner did not fall on his sword. He just took the $14,000,000 from Obama and left. He should have at least been stripped to the waist and caned in downtown Detroit for being a big part of destroying the largest auto maker on the planet.

Of course the Japanese have a different culture and maybe Toyoda needs to do something. Though he did just take over. Toyota has been headed down hill at least 5 years.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,197
    revit is to Toyota what andres3 is to Chrysler.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,448
    deltheking....nice find.....and, at least Mr. Toyoda has finally admitted that their cars are faulty. More important is his commitment to making them better, and working with consumers and agencies instead of doing the old "duck and cover" routine.

Lots of people put their faith in Toyota/Lexus/Scion based on the belief that they built high quality and safe vehicles. As has been shown in recent years, their quality has slipped to the point where it became a mirror image of what plagued the American auto industry in the '80s and part of the the '90s. That is, "crank out as many as we can, as fast as we can. We'll fix them later."

Unfortunate, mostly for the consumers and Toyota dealerships, that turned into some vehicles that were not only built poorly, but unsafe, to boot. Regardless of the outcome of Toyota's meetings with the NHTSA or Congress, the customers, at best, are faced with the inconveniences of getting their vehicle to their dealership to have floormats, accelerators, software, and whatever else Toyota comes up with, fixed. At worst, some have had accidents, injuries, and in some reports, deaths, associated with Toyota's maladies. In addition to all of that, customers are now faced with plummeting resale values of their cars, too. Dealerships are faced with the costs associated while dealing with unprecedented recalls, and a loss of goodwill.

In short, it's been a disaster for just about everyone involved.

The good news is Mr. Toyoda is saying the words that everyone wants to hear.....(paraphrasing), "We screwed up....badly. We're sorry. We're going to be better. And, here are the steps we're taking to make us better."

Words are one thing. Actions are something else. If there's a company who can turn themselves around dramatically, I'd bet on Toyota being able to do it, if they don't forget what Mr. Toyoda stated. It's going to take awhile for faith to be restored....maybe a year, maybe two....maybe 5 years. As they say, "the longest of journey begins with the first step". Toyota has taken that first step.

I believe that their "secret" software workaround should at least give owners a real, workable response for UA, and probably braking issues, too. I'd like to know exactly what the software being installed is for. Is it a "bug" fix? Is it an implementation of brake over ride? Both? At least they're starting to implement it.
    You didn't have to spend all that money for a Rolls-Royce. You could've got one of these!

The 1965 Ford Galaxie LTD: Quieter Than a Rolls-Royce!
  • I should have taken a picture of my coworkers model before he left the company. It was the same model right down to the year and color!
    lemko....my late Father had one of those LTDs. Excepting the color (his was black), it looked identical. While I was just a young'un, I remember playing in the back seat of it, which seemed HUGE at the time.

I think he kept it until the mid-'70s? Don't recall him having any particular problems with it, except I do remember it was quite rusty when he finally got rid of it.

Brings back a lot of memories.
    My wife's first car was a 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 sedan that was handed down to her from her Dad.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    And styling by Pontiac!

BTW, I actually remember those ads when they were first aired.
    How many ended in fiery crashes killing several people? Having a crooked glove box is hardly in the same league as SUA. That has been the complaint with many ratings. They do not differentiate by severity. I think the current torrent of recalls is justified. When Toyota comes up with a legitimate fix they can go about rebuilding their once stellar reputation.
    edited February 2010
    +1 for Edmunds. And Gary, they do admit the shortcomings of their analysis.

Presumably, people will not be complaining to NHTSA (it has "safety" as part of its name) because of a crooked glove box lid, although I admit there are a lot of crackpot complaints in the database.
    I admit there are a lot of crackpot complaints in the database.

If you want a good laugh you just have to read a few. I cannot believe what some folks will report.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Gary, remember - the "fiery crash" has not been definitely linked to a UA defect. It might have been a stuck floormat, at least according to the police investigation.

That crash was in part driver error for not putting the car into neutral (or park) or turning the car off.
    I agree. It's better than some comedy shows on TV.
    Yes, and that was the same car where another driver experienced a stuck gas pedal just a few days before. He was able to stop the car and pull back the offending mat, which was from the wrong vehicle and placed on top of the factory mat. He even complained to the dealership.
    lemko....now, you're dating yourself (or, you're dating your wife). :P

You made me do some digging....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHfIORDHq3A

To keep somewhat on topic, maybe Toyota is now devising what's bound to be their new message going forward..
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,458
    >for not putting the car into neutral (or park) or turning the car off.

Would the car go into neutral or was the transmission locked into drive due to the torque per wwest's suggestion?

Also requiring a 3 second or more push on the start button to turn the car _off_ is not logical. I read someone post that another vehicle brand has the off occuring if the button is tapped three times.
  • revitrevit Posts: 476
    So anyone think that Toyota will be replacing their current tagline of "Moving Forward"?

Sure doesn't sit well with everything going on.

Maybe...."Toyota. There's No Stopping Us." ;)
    edited February 2010
    I think enough people have tried flooring the accelerator and then shifting immediately into neutral. No problems were found. I've tried it at 60 mph on my 2004 Camry, admittedly only while cruising, and it slips easily into neutral. I think panic was a big factor in the fatal crash.

Also requiring a 3 second or more push on the start button to turn the car _off_ is not logical. I read someone post that another vehicle brand has the off occuring if the button is tapped three times.

Two things: I read that Toyota will be incorporating the 3x tap solution for future vehicles with ignition push buttons. The question though is if 3 taps are more logical.

Also, I had previously reported that a read of the new Buick LaCrosse owner's manual made no mention of how to switch off the optional push-button ignition in an emergency situation while driving down the road. (The CX model we had at work had a conventional key, so I couldn't test it.)
  • dturrdturr Posts: 70
    Hey my neighbour has struck a deal with his local dealer. He will lease a vehicle if they swap out the pedals getting shut of the CTS assembly and they agreed.
    He would not do a deal with shims and stuck to his demand.
  • I've experienced automatic full brake for seconds at the middle of the road while driving for just a gentle touch of my feet to the pedal. It sank for seconds then bounce back!!! I submitted the car for 2 days test but didn't come out. I'm driving Toyota Yaris 2008. My husband who's driving for more than 30 years experienced it too. I owned the car for one and a half year and submitted the said car twice for testing for 2 reasons: First, just like someone pulling the car back while driving... it became very slow, Toyota returned it ok. They said they didn't fix anything. Means can fix the problem, just use it again and again and it will turn okay? Second, pedal sank for seconds automatically then back to its normal position. As I said they didn't see a problem. I also got 5 yrs old Isuzu car but didn't experience yet any problem aside from change oil. Philippines is not included to the said recall. What will I do to my car? Sell, to pass the problem to someone else?
    imid....at 60 MPH, you're traveling 88'/sec. Let's say that each "button push" takes one second. That's traveling 264 feet before the engine stops. Then, you have to apply the brakes (which will have no power assist since the engine's off)...HARD, which will take another....oh...I dunno...another 150', maybe? Let's be generous and say it's going to take you longer than a football field to stop a vehicle suffering from UA (that is, if you're expecting it, and if you don't panic, which you probably will). That's if you're traveling in a straight line. If not, you won't have any steering since it's likely the steering wheel will hit the interlock, allowing no movement of it....unless, there's another button push that allows the steering wheel not to lock.

That's only if you only have UA up until 60 MPH...above that? Thing get even scarier than they already are.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    Just a heads up in case you need to file a complaint about your Toyota with NHTSA, here you go http://bit.ly/NHTSA
  • xluxlu Posts: 457
    edited February 2010
    In Jan 2010, GM beats Toyota in the sales volume in several key segments previously held by Toyota:

Family cars
    Chevrolet Malibu: 16439
    Toyota Camry: 15792

Crossover SUVs
    Chevrolet Equinox: 9513
    Toyota RAV4: 7894
    (GMC Terrain: 4302
    Note Equinox alone beats RAV4; GMC Terrain which is the same SUV adds additional sales)

Luxury cars
    Buick LaCross: 4246
    Lexus ES: 2923
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,182
    edited February 2010
    link title

Retail sales, including other brands, in the U.S. were 104,122 during the month. This represents a 10 percent decline from a year ago, driven by other brand sales – Pontiac, Saturn, Saab and HUMMER – that were 90 percent lower.

GM dealers delivered 42,703 fleet vehicles, comprising 29 percent of total deliveries for the month.

Fleet Sales Save Industry ;)

But it's important to note the mix here: Retail sales of Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC were up just 3 percent; in other words, surging fleet sales provided the majority of the good news at General Motors, buoyed by continuing impressive numbers in the midsize crossover segment.
    Man, some people will spin something bad about Toyota into something good and something good about GM into something bad.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,182
    edited February 2010
    No spin, just keeping things straight. ;)

Some people on here can exaggerate the situation going on at Toyota, others are exaggerating Government Motors comeback.

Just putting things into proper perspective. :shades:
    xlu.....thanks for looking up the numbers. I suspect that Honda, Nissan, Hyndai probably Ford could steal marketshare, too. This could continue for awhile. Hope that Toyota turns the corner at some point. Competition is always good.