Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero Sport

Comments

• bearcat00bearcat00 Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought one about a month ago, and I'm curious about other opinions.....and I really like mine by the way...
  • karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    I've heard alot of people say they're not quite sure what to make of the new 2000 montero sport. I recently test drove the 1999 XLS 4WD and the 2000 XLS 4WD, and I can tell you hands down, the 2000 model is better. Not only is the drivers side area nicer, but the new suspension made the ride noticably smoother. With a $2000 rebate on 1999 models it's hard to pass up, but I was so impressed with the difference in drivability that I'm going with the 2000 model. The only thing that is not fair is that the 2000 XLS 4WD model only comes in 2 packages: the base model, or a 'premium' package that is an unreal $2600 MSRP. I've gotten a real good price for the 2000 however so I think I'm going with the premium package also. I'll update you after I purchase.
  • truckerman2truckerman2 Member Posts: 1
    I have been hearing a lot of bad things in regards to the fact that my insurance will be considerably higher.They have been telling me that it is much more expensive to insure compared to other suv's in it's price range.
    Due to the poor ratings that I have been hearing
    from T.V. and insurance reports.
  • mikiwolemikiwole Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2000 Montero sport.It is a very nice truck.I don`t believe Insurance cost is that bad. The reason is I used to pay $132.00/mo.for a trooper `96 model and `85 olds.I took off the olds now and put the 2000 montero sport and full coverage on both costs me $149.00/mo.Of course I had to shop around.Even if U say insurance is higher it`s not because of safety reasons.It`s because replacement parts are expensive.

Mike Kebede.
    I too just bought a 2000 Montero Sport XLS 4WD (with the premium package), and love it. Of course, everyone likes their car when they first buy it, but I know I'll enjoy it for a long time to come. In terms of style, no other SUV comes close. Those American SUV's are so boxy and ugly looking. And the 2000 model drives very nicely on the highway. I've already put 600 miles on it in 5 days, so I know.

As for insurance, stay away from Allstate. I was around $600/6 mos, and my Montero Sport raised it to $947/ 6mos!! I then called around, most other insurance companies gave me $650/ 6mos. an increase of only $100 a year. (my previous car was a Mitsu Eclipse GST).
  • mnguyen1mnguyen1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I am seriously considering to purchase a Montero sport 2000 LS 4WD. I ambeing very careful with my buget. I don't want to spend more than I have to. Please let me know how much you paid for yours.You can email me at [email protected] Thank you
  • mattboymattboy Member Posts: 1
    I know the 99 Montero Sport received a very negative rating regarding safety standards. Any word if the Mitsubishi company made improvements in this area with the 2000 models?
  • mpkistlermpkistler Member Posts: 1
    I just compared insurance rates on a 2000 Montero Sport Limited 4x4 and 1999.5 Infiniti QX4 with my insurance company (Mercury). The Montero was almost $300 more every six months. I found out the excess cost is due to a surcharge put on the Montero 4x4. Some 4x4's are surcharged and some are not. I guess the the 4x4's that are "more apt" to go off road are surcharged. All up to the individual company. Anyone compared these two SUV's...looked at and test driven both?
  • danglusdanglus Member Posts: 1
    im looking at purchasing a 2000 4WD limited. It seems that the 2.5L engine is a big boost to this car. Any comments??

I live in a big city and hit mountain trails on the weekends!!!
  • tank2tank2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

My wife and I shopped two years ago for an SUV and really like the Montero Sport...the biggest complaint was no torque to the engine. Sure it has horsepower...but without torgue..no go go from stops. This is important since we live in the country in the Midwest. We have to pull out of intersection obscurred by growing corn. Has the new 3.5L engine get the boost in torque as it needed?
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    Hey Tank2,

The MS is rated at 228 ftlbs. The Limited for 2000 has 4.90 axle ratio, up from 4.64 for 99 MS.
    I have tested the 99 and it seemed good. The 2000 should be even better yet. I have been waiting for a Limited to show up at our local dealership to give it a try as well. I have driven both the 99 Lim. and 2000 XLX and I prefer the 2000. The ride is much better on the 2000 as well as the cup holders.
  • blasmirblasmir Member Posts: 4
    Dmetzger is correct, the 3.5L will do a great job at getting the MS moving. However, it is only offered in the Limited model which is about 32k w/o leather. Since it is a 2000, negotiation will not be as good.

Now, I have never driven or even ridden in an MS, so forgive me if I don't know what I'm talking about in the next sentence. With the 4.9 axle ratio, the engine will be spinning at 3000 rpm at 75 mph. That seems a little high for anything but a 4-cyl. I used to own a 96 Dodge Avenger with a puny 2.0L engine, and even it didn't hit 3000 rpm till 80 mph. It could get a little noisy up at highway speed... not to mention what it will do to fuel economy.
    Blasmir

I have wondering what the RPM will be at 75 as well with 4.9 gearing. Don't know why the changed from the 4.64. I guess Mitsu decided they needed more low end power. They did change tires from 15" to 16", but the diameter is the same. Fuel EPA rating has gone down to 15/18 campared to 16/20 on the 99. Quote to me from our local dealership, with leather, hitch, 6-disc cd changer, bug shield, engine block heater, is at 30k. There is a $1000 rebate on the limited until 9/30/99. But I do not count on the rebate going away any time soon. The 30k does include the rebate.
  • fxashunfxashun Member Posts: 747
    Where I work we are selling 2000 for the prices listed below:
    ES 20,600
    LS 22,600
    XLS 24,000
    LTD
    w/lthr 28,200

Those are all 2wd models. Not sure on pricing for 4wd since we do not get a lot of requests for 4wd where I live.
  • hallieahalliea Member Posts: 1
    I'm very interested in buying a 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS. It looks great not to mention it now has a more powerful engine. I'm 99% sure this is the vehicle I want to be driving. It handles very nicely, the only thing is, in the past it's gotten poor reviews as far as safety, etc. goes. Does anyone know about new ratings or where I could check them out? My e-mail address is [email protected]
    Thanks!
    The crash test that received so much publicity was really misleading if it is the one that I am thinking about.

What they did was compare cost of repair and found the Sport to have a slighly above average repair cost in accidents. If you compare it to the other suvs in the class they were all about even.
  • blasmirblasmir Member Posts: 4
    The price that I stated in post #12 was the MSRP including destination. I got the information from carwizard.com

Looks like the prices you quoted in post #14 had about a $3000 discount, give or take a few hundred. Not too bad, but 4x4 models in the snow belt probably will not get such a discount.
    Then it may be worth it for some people to fly Valujet down here and buy one and save 3,000.
    ..I believe the 2000 XLS has the same exact engine as the 99... it always been a 3.0L V6. The only difference in the 2000 models, engine-wise, is the lowest model, the ES, now has a V6 like all the others instead of that piddly V4. And, as always, the Limited has a 3.5L (I have NO IDEA why they only put the 3.5L in that model.. should have at least 2 models with the 3.5L).

I've had the 2000 XLS 4WD now for about a month, and the 3.0L is good, but I wish I had the 3.5L.
  • terpol8dterpol8d Member Posts: 5
    can you get the limited in a two tone like the XLS?
  • cimteccimtec Member Posts: 2
    My dealer has a Montero factory rep vehicle avaiable. All options except towing package. Sticker is $38044. I figure cost at $33467. Less the 2500 rebate, cost is 30967. My question is: vehicle has 11,600 miles on it. What is a reasonable offer?. Also, since it was a factory rep vehicle, is it reasonable to assume it has been taken care of? Thanks.
  • gone2seagone2sea Member Posts: 33
    What kind of warranty are they offering on the factory rep deal? I would go for lowest price you can get along with an Extended Warranty, like six years and 100,000 miles bumper to bumper. That will care for things that the rep did or did not do.
  • bjm4bjm4 Member Posts: 1
    A dealer demo like this would still have full factory warranty. The warranty does not start until the day the consumer purchases it - those miles and weeks won't count against you at all.
    According to my 2000 brochure, the Limited only comes in 1-tone colors. Very unfortunate because the 2-tone looks sharp. I myself was considering a 2000 Limited but went with the XLS. The big difference is the 3.0L vs. 3.5L engine. If you're not concerned about the engine, just get the XLS with the premium package.

Another thing about color. The dorks at Mitsu did something so stupid, I can't stand it. I really really liked the new black/silver and black/dark gray 2-tone colors available on the 2000's. The problem is, they only offer tan leather. Soooo, if you get the premium package on an XLS, it automatically comes with leather, which automatically made the 2 new 2-tone colors not an option!! I had to go wit the black/beige, which I like, but the black/silver is much sharper. If you see any black/silver 2-tone XLS on the road you already know they didn't get the premium package. Pretty dumb, huh? I bet they offer gray leather for the 2001 models after they realize their mistake.
  • jeffragjeffrag Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone seen or driven a 4X4 Sport LTD? Every dealer I have contacted seems to be in the dark about delivery. It seems that Mitsu is steering potential customers to the smaller engine XLT.
    Hey Jeffrag;

Just tried a Limted Sport 4X4 yesterday (finally). Had it for 1 1/2 days, so got to put it to the old test. It performed very well. Off the line it is ok, but would not break a tire loose. Once up to speed, runs well. I live in Montana so took it on the freeway, up over some steep hills, and to my surprise, at 80 mph, did not shift down and dropped off only 2 mph before gaining it back. Did the same at 75 and 70. The 3.5 litre engine definately has more power than the 3.0 litre.
    Also, it has 4.90 axle ratio, lower than the 99's 4.64 which I thought would hurt fuel ecomomy. The 4x4 is rated at 15/18 for 2000 and the 99 was rated at 16/20. I tried both the 99 and 00 over pretty much the same test and the results were 18.3 mpg for the 99 and 18.1 for the 00. The lower axle ratio did not seem to hurt the fuel economy. At 80 mph, the engine is turning 3250 rpm, which is pretty high, but it seems to be more into the engines power band. At 70, it is 3000 rpm.
    The vehicle is quiet. Transmission shifts extremely smooth. Better riding than the 99. Comfortable leather seats. Has great rear passenger leg room. More than most SUV's in this class. Funny, the brochure shows less than most SUV's. Must be where they measure from where the front seat is located. And the rear seat reclines! Build quality seems very good. Noticed a lot of little things to make this vehicle smooth and quiet, vibration dampners, intake hose pods, insulation, etc.
    I also found out from our dealer that Mitsubishi credit is offering 0 payments, 0 interest, and 0 down unill the year 2001. Yes thats right, '2001'. They do have the same plan for the 99's going till 2000. So you could possibly have the vehicle for 14 months before you have to make a payment. Unheard of in this industry.
    My suggestion to you is to wait and try a Limited before you buy one and check out their new program.
    Jeffrag,

Another interesting discrepancy, is that Edmunds review stated that the Limited 3.5 engine was weak climbing up mtn passes or used in high altitude. Shifted down from overdrive. The one that I tested did not. Hmmmmm!!!
  • gmunoz1gmunoz1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello guys, I am thinking in getting an ES or maybee and LS 2wd Montero Sport. Specially with the 0 payments, 0 interest, and 0 down unill the year 2001 program. Can anyone give me a resonable price to pay for either one. And do you guys know if the rebate if any will qualify with this plan. Any comments are welcome at [email protected] , Thanks
    Gmunoz1;

No rebates or incentives apply on the 2001 program. You waive them when you go for this plan.
  • penrosepenrose Member Posts: 31
    Visited a Mitsubishi dealer today. They said both "99" and "2000" models qualify for the 2001 program. As mentioned before, the rebates do not apply.It's one or the other. He did say they were willing to get close to invoice. Drove both "99" and "2000" and both drove very nice. I couldn't tell the difference, but both test drives were on very smooth roads.
  • cooper4048cooper4048 Member Posts: 2
    First of all, have to say this forum is great. I would have felt lost walking into the showroom without all this great info. Love the internet! Anyhow, want to make sure I'm clear on the incentive program mitsu is offering. I heard the commercial but only caught the words "no down" and "no payments" until 2001. It's also no interest? That's incredible if it's true. Also, anyone recently buy a 2000 LS Montero Sport 2WD with goodies like AC, appearance package and convenience package? That's what I'm shopping for. Don't want to spend more than $25,000. That unrealistic? Curious what some of you have spent on a comparably-equipped Sport 2WD. Thanks in advance.
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    I don't know the exact details of the offer in question, but I'd be really careful to read the fine print. Usually "no down" and "no interest" is followed by "for qualified buyers." That often means people who make big $$$ and have little debt. They'll also say things like "tax, title, etc. are extra," so there goes your "no money down" thing. Check it out, though. Sometimes manufacturers offer terrific deals just to push certain models.

ladyblue
    Community Leader/SUV Conference
  • jaws6jaws6 Member Posts: 1
    A dealer has a MS LS for 23,000 with power but not premium package. I got a price of 23,689 for the X-terra yesterday that is comparable. Which is better. I think the MS is more polished but what about reliability. I would like to keep the car between 6 and 10 years.
    Not to sound like a know it all, but here is what I have learned about the 2001 program. According to Mark Mitsubishi ( Glendale AZ.) your interest starts Jan.1, 2001 and your first payment is due in Feb. 2001. Your max term is 60 months and you cannot lease. It is a true zero down, provided you have good credit. This program is sponsored by Mitsubishi Motors and it is not their intent to have any loop holes. According to Mark Lawson (Sales Rep.) Mitsubishi wants to get as many of their cars on the road as they can, and this is one way to do it.
    Here is the kicker! Mark said that if you wanted to refinance when 2001 rolled around you could. This means that you could seek your own financing (maybe 72 months) as long as you paid off Mitsubishi Motors. According to Mark there is no penalty for doing this. Mark has been very helpful, and he is very low pressure. I, however, have seen nothing in writing and recommend if you do go for this program you read the "Mitsubishi 2001 Program Guidelines" that should be available at all Mitsubishi dealers. Good luck.
  • jonnyrockjonnyrock Member Posts: 1
    I test drove the XLS and the Limited this weekend, and worked the dealer to 4% over invoice for the limited. This came to 31,700 for the LTD w/ leather. It rides very nicely, the 3.5 ltr engine has good pickup, the truck looks cool, etc...
    My problem is that I don't see these trucks on the road anywhere in Minneapolis. I see Ford, Chevy, Jeep, Toyota, Nissan and Isuzu for the most part. I want to dive this vehicle for 10 years, I know I could do that w/ Toyota or Nissan. Any opinions on the reliability of the Montero Sport? Any opinions on the fact that nobody drives these around here? I really want to buy one of these, but I don't know if it will be a good deal at 30K.
  • simstjsimstj Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to get the MS XLS with a sun roof out the door for 25,000. I am considering also the 3.5L Limited for added power, but don't know what kind of deal I'll be looking at. Any advise?
    What is the verdict on safety for the MS?
  • rogereldredgerogereldredge Member Posts: 13
    Any one have any idea what the interest rate is on the 2001 program?
    dmetzger:

Thanks for such detailed info -- very helpful. Is it true that you forego a $1,000 rebate if you go with the special financing?
    Rogereldredge;

That is correct. No rebates or incentives if you sign up for the 2001 plan.
  • detngdetng Member Posts: 5
    I took the Montero Sport Limited 2wd, love the car! Gave my wife the Pathfinder. Had Mercedes 450SE for 17 years prior to Pathfinder. Pathfinder has better road feedback, Montero feels like my Mercedes, still excellant handling for this kind of vehicle. Can haul if you want to!! Tokico shocks and Yokahama Geolanders made night and day difference on Pathfinder. Can't wait to do that to Montero. It's a luxurious SUV, much better looking than Mercedes, or Lexus. No gimmicks with 0 payment. Straight up 8.9% down the road. Everything I"ve heard is that Montero's hold up!! I intend to keep mine for a loooong time. Good luck to all and appreciate a gift horse!
  • mmosely465mmosely465 Member Posts: 1
    Bought the 2000 Montero Sport on the 0 program and did not have to put anything down. Only trouble was having a hard time getting ignition key out after putting in park etc. It may have been a "bug" that has seemed to worked itself out.
  • cooper4048cooper4048 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info Penrose. Coincidentally, I live in Glendale, AZ and planned on visiting Mark Mitsubishi this week, so your info was really timely and pertinent. Jeff.
    I ordered my 2000 Montero Sport XLS (Black over Sudan Beige)with the premium package through CarsDirect.Com. It was delivered about four days ago. (See post # 280 in the CarsDirect board under the Smart Shopper forum for my great experience with CarsDirect and somewhat negative experience with the dealer).

The vehicle is great. The fit, finish and ride are outstanding. The inside is very well designed. Everybody who has seen it loves the appearance. I know it's early, but this may be the best vehicle I have ever purchased.

Interestingly, many people who ask me what kind of SUV I got without seeing the vehicle) have no idea what a Montero looks like. Those few who know what a Montero looks like always have very positive comments. Perhaps the Montero merely suffers from a lack of a good marketing campaign.
  • phishy1phishy1 Member Posts: 1
    I agree with the fact that Mitsubishi has done an awful job with giving the AWESOME Montero Sport good press. I am the proud owner of the 2000 LS 4WD with leather/CD. Everyone who sees it compliments me on it,and it drives great! I am very pleased, and if Mitsuishi hired a good PR firm, they would sell a hell of a lot more cars. Maybe they should give Burson-Marstellar a call.
  • johngiordanojohngiordano Member Posts: 8
    Just purchased a 2000 Limited 4WD for $99 under invoice. Used the no payments/interest until 2001 deal. Very impressed with the vehicle so far. Think it compares to the 4Runner Limited but for less $$$.
    Only dissatisfaction I had from the dealer was the $550 adevertising assessment from Mitsubishi tagged on to the price. Doe this sound Kosher?
    Will probably sell right before payments kick in hoping resale is not too bad.
    JOHNGIORDANO;

I live in the Northwest as well. I am dealing on a 2000 MS Limited 4x4 right now. Where did you find such a great deal? Is it a friend! Would you please let me know. If you wish to keep it private, please e-mail me at [email protected]. (day) or
    [email protected]. (night)

Thanks!!!!!!!
    Johngiordano,
    You received an excellent deal. Was the $550.00 advertising charge above your $99 under invoice price or was the $99 under invoice including your advertising charge. Also did you drive a 3.0 liter model before you bought your limited. I'd like to know how big of a difference there is. I drove an LS model and thought it drove nice up to about 55mph,then it seemed a little loud, and the rpm's were way up. Thanks
  • metzgerdmetzgerd Member Posts: 2
    The advertising fee from my dealers invoice from Mitsubishi Motors was $545.50. So, johngiordano, it seems as if it is correct. A fee that is added on to your $99.00 under invoice price. Correct?
    A good bench mark for the value of PR efforts is the Nissan Xterra (one of the commercials was just on).

Apparently, demand for that vehicle is really high in large part due to the PR campaign. I am not a Lenny Kravitz fan and am out of the target group for that vehicle(mid 20s), but the ads really grab your attention.

In contrast, until I saw the commercial again tonight I did not realize that the tough dog/pretty dog commercial was for the Montero. I recalled the commercial, but not the product. I imagine many who have seen the ad do not even recall it.

Obviously, increased demand would help our re-sale value down the road. Given that, why is the 2001 finaning program not heavily advertised. My local dealer's radio and print ads make it sound like he is the one offering the program.
  • johngiordanojohngiordano Member Posts: 8
    Penrose,
    The advertising fee was added to the $99 under invoice price. I also purchased my wife a 2000 LS two weeks ago so had the opportunity to drive the 3.0 liter. Since hers is a 2WD didn't think it was too underpowered although the 3.5 4WD did have more power. Rpms are also high over 55 mph on the 3.5 liter.

To all,
    The $99 under deal is being offered by Sheehy Mitsubishi in Manassas VA. Don't know how long it will last.