Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero Sport

Comments

• dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    The TSB was done by my dealership. It is not just a plug in chip. The dealer has to change out a module and go through several steps to reprogram the transmission. Only a qualified Mitsu. tech is going to be able to do this. It will be covered under your basic warranty, if you are still in the warranty. This is for 99, 00, and early model 2001's.
  • kristine11kristine11 Member Posts: 1
    Last May, I purchased a used Montero Sport (1997) with 32,000 miles and in good shape. Two weeks ago, we found that one of the leafs in the driver's side leaf-spring broke and was making a terrible noise. We took it to the dealership and they discovered that BOTH leaf-springs needed to be replaced plus some other springs. Please keep in mind that WE have never taken this 4-wheeling -- we've never even had it off-road. But who knows what the previous owner did. And it only has 45,000 miles now. Has anyone else had problems with leaf-springs? The technician at the dealership said he has never seen such a thing with the Montero Sport. Thanks for your input!!!
  • wonder71wonder71 Member Posts: 2
    The air conditioner fan on my LS came lose and has been eating into the condenser for some time without my knowledge and now it has a freon leak and the air conditioner does not work. It only has 20000 miles on it. This should not be happening at 20,000 miles when I paid $26,000 for this vehicle. I noticed it after it started making a loud rattling/grinding noise that resembled the sound a car makes when the timing chain breaks. Very loud, sounded like thunder. Anyone having a problem with their AC who has heard this noise, I suggest taking it to the dealership and having them check the condenser and fan.
  • wonder71wonder71 Member Posts: 2
    for $26,000 buy a Pathfinder. Much more horsepower and nissans are always higher quality.
  • detngdetng Member Posts: 5
    Anybody install a sunroof deflector on their MS? i'm thinking of getting one, can't hear the stereo well with roof open above 70mph. Concerned deflector will cut into too much of the open sunroof. Thanks.
  • ghinsonghinson Member Posts: 36
    I love the look of the Montero Sport, but am scared by the review Edmund's gives it. I need an SUV that will also pull it's own off-road. So, has anyone gotten one and modified it for improved offroad performance? What does it need? Thanks.
  • bobertvbobertv Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

My wife and I are considering the MS or a Pathfinder. They are both going to be second hand cars. We test drove a 2000 MS and really liked it, but we are afraid of the long term durability. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Rob.
  • lameslames Member Posts: 14
    I have the sport, and my brother has the Pathfinder. Both are good vehicles. My family has had two different Mitsu trucks, both went well over 125,000 miles before needing major repair. I think both will do you well, pick the one you like them most, you won't regret it.
  • cortneyscortneys Member Posts: 4
    I have been looking for a Montero Sport Ltd 4x4 for the past few months, I used the information provided in Edmunds pricing to give the dealerships offers and individuals offers for there vcehicles and have been laughed off the showroom more than once!!! It seems that the pricing is not realistic.. has anyone else used Edmunds.com to purchase a car.. I have looked all over and have yet to find a car that I like for the prices recommended.. I now have a chance to buy a 2000 MS ltd. w/17,000 miles for 21,900.. should I do this, because even Edmunds says this is too much for a private deal, when all the people I see offer the same vehicle for 26,000+++ .. It just doesn't make any sense that a 33,000 car would depreciate that much in less than a year.. PLEASE HELP!!!!
  • cortneyscortneys Member Posts: 4
    Every time I try and use the pricing guides, the salesman or individual is insulted.. Does not seem realistic.. Who here would sell there 33,000 2000 MS limited 4x4 w/15000 miles in a year for only 19-20,000.. The answer is you wouldn't that would be more than a 33 % depreciation rate!!! Anyway just wondering if anyone else has used the pricing side and had it work??? Seems that the real numbers should be a little higher and more realistic.. Maybe I just don't want to believe that a car can depreciate that much in a year.. What DO YOU THINK????
  • vinceburlappvinceburlapp Member Posts: 64
    Check out these pictures of the new smaller SUV Mitsubishi is going to sell in the US at the end of this year. 2Liter engine only.

http://community.webshots.com/user/vinceburlapp
  • jaynedough123jaynedough123 Member Posts: 11
    Cortneys - I don't know if you are talking about the TMV or not. I did use the TMV. I actually did better than a TMV but this was on a new Monte Sport. I came in about $500 less than TMV.I also used it in buying a GMC truck and came out just a little better. I have to admit though that this is the 7th vehicle we have bought and I think I have come a long way in my buying skills since the first car I bought. I am almost intractable in the price I offer. I also migh have lucked out when I bought the Monte I bought - this was the first time I truly felt the 2 salespeople I dealt with were desperate to sell.
  • vinceburlappvinceburlapp Member Posts: 64
    I just posted more pictures of the New smaller SUV which might replace the low end Montero sport.

http://thehollywoodextra.com

This is my roommate's site, but scroll down, there is a red link to my car page.
  • homer61388homer61388 Member Posts: 54
    I am currently looking at a Montero Sport Limited. It seems pretty good, leather, heated seats, peppy powertrain, I'm just not sure about long term reliability and towing and payload capacity? I do towing on a regular basis and I'm wondering if the MS Limited even with the 3.5 V6 has enough power when towing a 2 ton fishing boat and hauling around five people and cargo? Should I go for something with more power, or will the MS be fine when towing and hauling around cargo? Also what about reliability? I know Mitsubishi is Japanese, but does that mean it will have Toyota-like reliability? And with the constant towing/hauling will the MS been more vulnerable to engine and transmission repair? Any thoughts will be useful. Thanks!
  • bankrobber2bankrobber2 Member Posts: 2
    i just bought a new sport xs, smelled smoke after getting home from the rear of vehicle. checked with dealer he said that it should only last for a few days. said it happens on alot of new vehicles comming from the muffler due to the first time heat to the vehicle.
    smells of burning fluid like dropping oil on hot engine. ( anyone else haveing this happen???
  • bankrobber2bankrobber2 Member Posts: 2
    TODAY MY WIFE CALLED AND SAID WHEN SHE BACKED OUT OF THE DRIVEWAY, SHE NOTICED THE ENGINE TROUBLE LIGHT ON. THEN WHEN SHE PUT IT INTO DRIVE TO LEAVE IT WENT OUT.

AREN'T ALL OF THE LIGHTS ON THE DASH SUPPOSED TO GO OUT AFTER YOU START YOUR VEHICLE???

IS THIS NORMAL-- IT DIDN'T GO ON TODAY SO FAR..
  • traumullers1traumullers1 Member Posts: 3
    A few months ago I posted that I was unsure as to whether to buy a Mitsu Sport or 4Runner. I bought the MS and it has really been a great car. I travel all local miles EXCEPT for recently when we took the MS for a longer trip. I noticed the engine making sounds I never heard before. Going at higher speeds it was really loud, and sort of concerning. Is this only the start of what will be a rattle trap?!?
    Also... I heard by word of mouth all of the hype on the Mitsu's recent ratings as 'the worst made car'( or something along those lines)...is that for the sport or the big Montero? Lets hope for all of us Sport drivers that ours won't flip at 35 MPH! Let me know if you know what all the hype is about with the Mitsu's!
  • KicKMan1KicKMan1 Member Posts: 45
    Cortney S.

I've traded in two cars that were one year old and took a big hit on both of them. Different rationales but it seems that vehicles depreciate the most in their first year. Yes, the depreciation is artificially created by the sales industry, but you'll never get an honest answer from them.
  • peterose14peterose14 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, a Mitsu is Japanese, but from my experience, it does not compare well to a Toyota. I have no experience with SUVs; I'm out here researching that particular topic myself because I'm in the market. However, I drive a Mitsu Diamante station wagon, and my husband a Toyota T100. I've had some significant problems with my car: air conditioner hasn't worked in two years (the $1800 dealer wanted to fix made me decide to roll down the windows, but this means we can't take the car on long trips and gosh it gets hot here!), had to replace some item that got corroded (cost about $500; not a car person so forgot what it was and they told me it was my fault for not having it cleaned regularly), keyless entry hasn't worked in five years, the car has a poltergeist (the security alarm goes off about every fifth time I unlock the door). My husband's truck is three years newer but has about 20,000 more miles on it and he has never ever had any problems with it. Does the regular maintenance check-ups and that's it. I'm going to look into the Toyota Highlander and Nissan Pathfinder, maybe Acura MDX. The only reason I'm at this Montero chatline is that I'm an obsessive researcher.
    I too have a Toyota T100 SR5 -Cab 4x4 (1996) with 45,000 miles and has had more problems than my wife 2000 MS LSD (21,000 miles). I guess I got a good MS and a bad T100. The T100 has been running good for the past 25,000 miles since all problems have been fixed. The MS has had one rattle repaired under warranty, one recall, and 3 TSB's. The T100 has had new head gasket, new rear springs, auto shift linkage repaired (still not right), new speedometer cable, new power antenna, and a few other minor items.

As most of us know, you can get a good vehicle and a not so good vehicle, no matter what make you buy. I am a Toyota buff, but took a chance on the MS due to price, and so far have not been sorry. The 3.5 motor in the MS is a nice engine. Has more power and better gas mileage (2-3 mpg better) than the Toyota 3.4 around town. On the highway, they are about the same.

Comparing the MS to the 4-Runner, these two vehicles are pretty much identical on how they are setup and dimensions.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    steve_ "Mitsubishi Montero" Jul 11, 2001 9:35am

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• js999js999 Member Posts: 1
    Ok, Let me give some rational answers. I have owned 2 Montero Sports, a 1997 AS 2WD and a 2001 AS 4WD.

I like the 1997, but this truck really begins to rattle and literally fall apart in 6 months or so. But I was able to see beyond this and in 2000, traded it in for a new model, with 4WD as I was moving from TX to OH and need the 4WD for the snow.

I did some checking into the safety records of this truck after Consumer Reports rated its big brother, the Montero Limited, unacceptable.

*** READ THIS PART ***

The montero sport is essentially a death trap. The NHTSA and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has crash tested this vehicle and the results were horrible! The IIHS says, "this is the kind of crash that you can't walk away from...you will survive the crash but have massive injuries to your legs. So you would be trapped in the car until you could be rescued".

These crash tests results, plus the results of the rollover tests really makes the vehicle UNSAFE. SO unsafe that I decided to cut my losses, dump the truck (only 13K miles on it), take the hit as the value plummeted (partly becasue the market is flooded, partly becasue they are not worth anything due to HORRIBLE saftey reports) and get a safer vehicle.

*** PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU BUY ***

You life, or your family's lives my really depend on your decesion. This truck is not safe in an accident.
  • ealkasealkas Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know a website where I can order and purchase a keyless/alarm transmitter that came standard with the LS trim model? The dealership is a ripoff. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • scott225scott225 Member Posts: 8
    I'm too lazy to do the search now, but I do remember finding plenty of online parts suppliers who stocked the keyless entry components for the Mitsu. Just do a Yahoo search for "Mitsubishi Parts."
  • bharlinbharlin Member Posts: 5
    I,m getting ready to take that all important next step,the suv plunge.Got my choices narrowed down
    to two either a explorer on montero sport.Would like to hear from owners good or bad about there
    montero sports.I am looking to buy a used one and i am leaning towards the sport.Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bill
  • alex9491alex9491 Member Posts: 2
    I just had my 2000 Montero Sport in to the dealer for its 30,000 mile checkup. I was charged $795 for it!!! I seem to recall many other cars in many other dealerships of a 30,000 mile checkup running about $300-400 dollars. What have you all paid for 30,000 mile checkups?? Did I just get taken big time, or is this really how much this car is going to cost me?

Thanks!
  • alex9491alex9491 Member Posts: 2
    I read with great interest the technical service bulletin to fix the hard shifting on Montero Sports. Mine seems to do that too. But when I took my 2000 4wd ls into the dealership and asked them to apply it, they told me the transmission is fine and the vehicle does not need the changes made as indicated on the TSB.

How do I know whether my MS really needs or could benefit from the TSB?

Thanks
  • arametharameth Member Posts: 1
    ..got a great deal, and I'm very happy with it so far. One thing I have noticed driving it for a month now is sluggish acceleration. I did notice this when I did the test drive, but didn't think it was that big of a deal...I wasn't in the market for a race car...

I've heard that these "filter kits" can add HP and give a small (1 to 3%) better mileage? Any suggestions as to if they're worth it, and which brand to purchase?

Also heard of these "ECM chip" upgrades that do the same....anyone have any experience with these? Any particular brand/model?

Finally, was going to put larger tires on...currently have the stock 15" tires...I do know that the 16" from limited do not fit...are there any OEM wheels that will fit the Sport ES?

Thanks in advance!
    Hey,

I just read on Auto.Com that the Insurance Institute has rated the crash test results on the 2001 Sport as 'GOOD'!!

I have always felt that my 2000 LTD 4X4 was built well. I know Mitsu has added some more safety features on the 2001 which makes it better in crash results. Mine is still running good. Have not been disappointed so far.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    for the '01-'02 Montero Sport. Yes, it received a "good":
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0115.htm

The entire list of IIHS tested mid-sized SUVs can be seen here:
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_midsuv.htm

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    I have had my montero sport since December 1999 and have had no problems with my montero sport. I think it was one of the best purchases I have made, and I will buy the redesigned montero sport when it comes out. I hope everyone has been as happy with their montero sports as I have.
    I see that the 2000 model Sport was included with the 1996 model that was tested as poor. But the 2000 model was changed, and is like the 2001. Funny how they rate a vehicle that has changed and not tested it. I know the Sport is not the only one they have done this to.

I feel that they can only rate the model year vehicle tested, and not include following years with no testing done to them. The manufacturer can make upgrades on existing models the next year that might improve the rating. This is somewhat the case on the 2000 versus 2001 Sport.
  • agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    I totally agree with you, I think that they should change that.
    The IIHS didn't test the newer '97-00 model because structurally it was identical to the tested '96 model. As such, the crash test results would've been very similar. The '01 model was changed and improved struturally and the tested results reflect this.

I hope this helps,

Drew
    Host
    So, they will only retest a vehicle if only something has been done to the structure? But what if a manufacturer does numerous changes, like air bags, reposition counsels, dashes, add side beam door supports, different bumpers, etc. I think this would change the results. Not getting on you, your just reporting back what IIHS does, but I just don't buy into including other year vehicles without testing. My opinion.
    If airbag characteristics are altered, the IIHS may retest the vehicle. Bumpers do not make a significant difference in speed crash tests. In fact, the IIHS proved this by crash testing a Toyota Camry with no front fenders or bumpers. The resuls were almost identical to the unaltered Camry. If the structural platform of the vehicle does not change, it doesn't matter if the dash is reshaped (that's only cosmetic) since there will be similar amounts of intrusion.

The IIHS does not do routine side impact crash tests, so side impact beams (which are mandatory by law since 1997 anyway) will not be a factor.

Good luck,

Drew
    Host
    Just so you know, the NHTSA does the same thing. If none of the restraint systems or structure of the vehicle have been changed, they simply carry over the results from the previous model year.
  • mont_manmont_man Member Posts: 5
    I recently purchased an 01 sport xls. Love it so far but only have 700mi on it. My last vehicle was a 98 Subaru Forester. This is a big step up from the subie but we needed the extra room for a growing family. Not to mention a yellow lab who likes to stretch out! I hope this vehicle proves to be as dependable as the Forester. By the way,can anyone tell me their best price on after-market fog lights? I find it hard to believe these do not come standard on a $30,000 + SUV
    Drew, I have a Montero Sport that I bought in November of 2000. Of course the owners manual states that it is an '01. So how can I tell if the structure has been updated? Do we know of a manufacture date when the structure was improved? Any insight you can give would be great.

I love the car, but hate how my insurance company rates it.
    If your owner's manual says it is a 2001, then it's a 2001 model. You can usually tell where and when a vehicle is built by looking on the driver's side door jamb, or the driver's side door frame (when the door is opened).

According to the IIHS, all MY2001 Montero Sports were improved structurally been improved for crashworthiness.

I hope this helps,

Drew
    Host
    So it is based on the model year, not the date of manfacture. Thanks Drew. Now I will contact State Farm and see why they charge so darn much.
  • woohahwoohah Member Posts: 14
    Are there any known and frequent problems with the Montero Sport like there is with Grand Cherokee?
  • kwamedogkwamedog Member Posts: 35
    Got the urge so I bought one this evening. Traded in my Jeep Cherokee! Can anybody tell me if 21,750 is good for a 2001 with 13,000 miles. It sounds good considering the sticker of the new ones was around 28,500. Mine is an XLS! Does everybody like theirs?
  • mont_manmont_man Member Posts: 5
    I recently purchased an XLS with moonroof and infinity 210 watt sound system for 26,500 new. So your price sounds good. I love it so far and cannot wait to test it out in the snow! Wondering whether to run the Yokohama Geolandars through the winter or spend the money for a set of snows? Living in central VT. I am leaning towards the snow tires for the winter. Congratulations kwamedog on your recent purchase and I hope you have great luck with it!
  • k2rmk2rm Member Posts: 205
    I heard about the safety rating the new MS so I started researching the vehicle since I will purchase a new vehicle soon. I am definitely interested in the MS, but it appears that there is a common and chronic problem regarding engine vibration when traveling faster than 40 mph. It sounds like there has been a lot of lemon law suits placed due to this problem. Has anyone experienced this problem and has had it fixed? Does Mitsubishi know how to fix this problem? Is this problem isolated to a single engine or transmission? Has Mitsubishi issued a TSB regarding this problem? Any input would be appreciated.
  • kwamedogkwamedog Member Posts: 35
    I am in Denver Co. so your snow tire question is a good one for me too. I think that I will try my luck with the Yokohamas. Hey, how do you like Vt. My wife and I are originally from NY and want to move back east. However, we really have become used to the mountains. We love New England and both learned to ski at Okemo in Vt. Have thought long and hard about moving out there. Came close to considering a job at Univ. of NH. You guys have the mountains and the ocean oh and a MS XLS, the best of all worlds!
    My 2000 LTD 4X4 3.5 engine is smooth as glass. This is one item that I have been very impressed with. I do not know where you got your info or how dated it is, but all I can tell you if you are worried about engine vibration, don't. Try one for yourself, then you will know what I am talking about.
    How many miles do you have on your sport? Have you had any issues with it? Thanks for you response, its good to hear that at least one person is completely satisfied with their MS. I definitely want to be sold on the reliability of the sport. The following website is where I read about the vibration problem.

http://pluto.beseen.com/boardroom/f/51108

I understand that all makes and models have a few cars that are lemons and obviously the site above will only talk about the vibration and so there are probably no happy MS owners there to defend the MS model.

I purchased my wife's sport in November 1999. It has 24000 miles. The problem that was addressed as I read it was due to drive line, front end problems. Not motor. Our sport had a vibration problem due to low tire inflation after it was rotated and balanced. Shop lowered tire pressure to 26lbs and at 55-60 the tires started to, more or less, flop. After they tried to cure 3 times, I asked what was the tire pressure set at. When I instructed them to raise to 32, woala, problem gone.

If you read back posts, you will see that I have been a happy camper with our Sport. I feel we have gotten a good one. But, you can get a rotten one as well, no matter what make you buy.

Having a good dealership helps tremendously as well. I am fortunate to have one.

The gentleman that was having all the problems traded it in on a Pathfinder. If you read some of the Pathfinder posts, you will see some people having vibration problems as well.

All I can tell you, make your own choice. Try them all, then weigh your decision.
    It does sound like dealers are the wink link for mitsubishi motors. I think the recent CR issue rated Mitsu dealers last with regards to customer satisfaction. Hopefully there is a good dealer in the Berkeley Ca area.

Is the MS recommended tire pressure on the MS 26 or 32 PSI? It sounds like the vibration you experienced was similar to the complaints in that other website, but they just attribute it to driveshaft problems. If that is the case, it seems like if the recommended pressure is 26, there is a problem with the tires that come stock on the MS. What type of tires came on your MS?

Thanks again for your posts, this is important stuff to know to make an informed decision. It is good to hear that there are people with positive things to say about the MS. Sometimes these boards are dominated by the people who only have problems since the people who are happy have nothing to say.