Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Commander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jgraham058jgraham058 Member Posts: 1
    My daughter bought a 2006 Commander and is stationed in Montana. She tells me that the front fan operation for the heat is not working but the rear is operating fine. Can you please tell me what direction to send her in finding what I hope is either a fuse or relay problem.
    Thanks
  • officespaceofficespace Member Posts: 4
    I have the same problem on a 4.7L 2006 Commander. The sudden downshift seems to occur at the shift points, instead of shifting into the higher gear it shifts into the lower gear. At first the problem happened after driving about 60 miles at 75-85 mph, usually during wet weather or wet pavement with road-spray. One of the engine codes indicated an electrical short and another a speed detection problem (or something like that in the wheel sensor). The dealer replaced the transmission computer and transmission fluid all-around. The problem re-occured during the next wet weather period. Now it seems to occur randomly, even on short trips where speed never exceeds 50 mph.

The sudden downshifts cause passengers to nearly hit the windshield, luckily no ones ever been tailgating me and I haven't been taking a turn on wet pavement or in icy conditions - the down shift would definitely cause a loss of control, loss of traction, and an accident.

Shortly after the first few downshifts, I started using the slap-shift to manually control the gear settings which stopped the sudden downshifts while in manual mode. Since then I've learned that leaving the slap-shift in 4th works fine and the trans goes through all the gears, although at slightly different shift points.

I can normally sense the problem about to happen when in Drive - the jeep seems to miss a shift point and the rpms increase as it struggles to make the up-shift. At this point I slap shift into 4th and leave it there - otherwise there would be a sudden downshift.

The dealer is useless, say they can't find a problem, and say their diagnosis is confirmed by their sending a car-hop out to drive the jeep for 15 miles with nothing happening.

Anyone know the fix - please post.

Regards,
    Jim
  • ctomctom Member Posts: 11
    I have a new '08 Commander and was hoping for some guidance on some way to lock the spare tire. There has been a rash of thefts of spares (I live in Chicago) - they cut the cable that holds the tire up. Any help is appreciated...
    Additional info:

First time this happened the check engine light came on with the codes:

P0700 (Chrysler Transmission Control System fault - transaxle control module fault) OBDII - turn on check engine light

P0734 OBDII - the PCM has detected an incorrect gear ratio in 4th gear

P0735 OBDII - the PCM has detected an incorrect gear ration in 5th gear

Dealer replaced the transmission solenoid (can't find receipt to see exactly what they said)

Check engine light hasn't come on since, but the Tire Pressure indicator blinks occaisionally indicating a fault in the tire pressure sensor system (not solid indicating an incorrect tire pressure).

Problem still occurs.
  • pjl6pjl6 Member Posts: 1
    I am having a simialr problem already discussed and I am ready to trade the vehicle in. I have a 2006 3.7L 4X4 that has a harmonic vibration at 40 mph to the point you would think you are on a rumble strip on the side of the road. It doesn't only occur there, but at 70 mph on the highway as well. It seems like it wants to downshift, but can't. I've had it in the dealer several times and the last time I was there they told me to blame it on the Government ! Their reasoning was the gas mileage restrictions the government has placed on the industry and once it gets into the overdrive gear it doesn't come out until it absolutely needs to. They updated the PCM with the latest shift points, but still no help. I've had the valve body replaced as well as the torque converter. Still has the same issue. Someone help before I loose my shirt and give up on this one.
  • jasonphjasonph Member Posts: 1
    Hi Jim,
    I had the same problem with my 06 4.7 4x4. The transmission started that crazy downshifting and was at the dealership 17 times for various repairs on that problem. Almost every part regarding the transmission was replaced but never the transmission it's self. The down shifting got so bad that the rear axle had to be rebuilt from being jerked around so hard and one down shift locked up a rear tire for a second and burned a complete flat spot in it. Just shortly after having to replace the rear tires (17,000 miles on my own dime), the jeep downshifted while on cruise control at 70 mph and ruined another tire. Unfortunately the Jeep's problems came to a sudden end one night while driving home. The transmission started to bind up, shift violently and then seemed to drop into neutral. I pulled off the road due to the complete loss of power and when I got out of the jeep I heard popping and crackling and then realized that the Jeep was catching on fire. Fire and rescue arrived within 6 minutes and the Jeep had already burned to the ground on the side of the road. After 1 year of investigations and insurance claims, the Jeep was concluded to have burned due to transmission fluid blowing onto the exhaust. In the end it was the insurance company and myself that ended up losing on that vehicle due to an incorrectly diagnosed and not repaired warranty problem.

-JP
  • chloegagechloegage Member Posts: 2
    I can not believe this story. I have the same car same engine and now have been car less for about 2 months. My transmission blew right before it caught fire, My warranty is up and they will not help me at all. Im getting a lawyer I guess. I never recieved any recall information either. Great post! Thanks
    Hi Jason,

That's some bad news, but thanks for the info. Once had a Celica throw a rod through the engine block at 60 mph - didn't think I was going to be able to pull off the road before being engulfed in flames - luckily it was just smoke from the oil on the engine, no fire.

The Jeep is currently in the shop having the transmission rebuilt (Jasper rebuilt installed).

Took the Jeep to a local repair shop that I've heard good things about. Actually took it to them for an oil change and they gave me more diagnosis information on the trans than the dealer ever did. The dealer said nothing was wrong. The new mechanic hooked it up to his computer and could see where the downshifts were happening in the history log.

The dealer solution when I first reported this was to replace:
    RS10 - Rear Pinion Oil Seal $175 (not related to trans)
    EN18 - Front Pinion Oil Seal $150 (not related to trans)
    TR03 - Transmission Cooler lines $275
    TR001 - Transmission Solenoid Pack $746
    MA23 - Front Differential Fluid - $128
    MA24 - Rear Differential Fluid - $128
    MA25 - Transfer Case Fluid - $105

Total - about $1,700

That dealer is now a Hundyi (sp) dealer - saw it on the way to the new mechnanic.

The new diagnosis is that 3rd gear was slipping, causing the computer to drop into second gear.

I'll let you know how the Jasper trans works at $3,000.

- Jim
    Hi All,

Thought I'd get a head start on my next problem.

I'm going to need to replace the rear rotors on my '06 4.7L 4WD Commander with about 85K miles. I've already replaced the rear pads at every 40K miles (drivers inboard pad was just about worn to the metal, but the outboard pad still had about 25K left on it). The front pads were replaced at about 75K with another 5-10K to go.

My problem is the rear-rotor is completely frozen to the hub. It also has a parking brake drum in the middle of the rotor (who designed this????). Couldn't remove this in the Autozone parking lot, even after this gorgeous woman (Stephanie) with a Jeep happend by and showed me how to remove the oval seal on the inboard side of the drum and use a screwdriver/stardriver to release the parking shoes (haven't worked on brake drums in years). Anyway, the rotor was still frozen. I've tried the back of a large one-bladed axe and an acetylene torch, but couldn't free the rotor.

I've been looking for large 3 or 4 claw pullers, but can't find any that looks suitable for under $250. Might try and make something with a few large C-Clamps and some steel bars as a last resort.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get this rotor/parking drum off?

Thanks,
    Jim

P.S. I love my Jeep but here are my past problems:

Roof Rack installed with blades backwards from dealer - very loud noise at 60+ mph. Easy Fix, turn the roof rack blades around.

Headlights blind drivers, cause them to high-beam me. Factory problem. Used a star driver to lower the low-beams to below the level of the car trunk in front of me. Easy Fix.

Trans slips in third, drop-shifts into second when it should up-shift into 4th, violent deceleration, trans needs replacement. $3000 (Jasper Remanufactured), plus $1,700 Dealership mis-diagnosis and unnecessary repairs.

Rear Rotor/Drum frozen on hub.
  • sameyesameye Member Posts: 1
    Greetings Mopar lovers,

I'm on my third Commander. My 2006 did not have water problems, but my wife's '07 did. I turned the '06 in when the lease expired, and purchased a used '07 with 20+k miles. The problem now with both the '07s is that after a heavy rain, the water pools/collects in the door wells and splashes out when you open the door. No consistent pattern. With my wife's car, it is the driver side front door. With mine, it is the passenger side front door. Dealer keeps talking about drains getting plugged, but can't seek to fix it.

Thoughts - similar problems?

I would appreciate any insight. I love the cars, but if I wanted a footwash, I would probably seek a different method.

Sameye
  • gigagirlgigagirl Member Posts: 21
    Sameye, hello - I went through that exact situation and live in the midwest hence water during fall/winter turned into ice and not just water and/or foot bathes as it were! No matter - all was finally rectified - please read my transmission regarding this about three plus months back.

All the best,
    Debbie-
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    please read my transmission regarding this about three plus months back.

Would this be the one? http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.efdb98e/259

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Yes, that would be the one! It has all been taken care of due to the slits being placed in the door gaskets - about 6 or so on each door gasket (as the newer models now have).
    Best,
    I have posted prior - the one that had the massive water in the door sills which turned into ice and doors wouldn't open etc. - finally after much back and forth got to the bottom of it!

Like almost one year ago when we were returning from Door County and stopped in Sheboygan to get gas - we turned the car off and it would not even turn over - had to have it flatbedded to Libertyville! That was electrical and was then fixed.

Now...for the past month have reencountered similar issues. At a home depot came out to the car and it wouldn't turn over - would not start - dashboard lights came on - radio - on but the car wouldn't turn over - a slight clicking sound was heard. Let it sit while steaming calling my husband to contact my dealership to pick the ..car up and about 25 minutes later while sitting there - low and behold the darn thing turned on. Immediately drove it to our driveway and was picked up to return to our office - not trusting it. The following day went out and the thing turned on like normal.

This past weekend - while in Wheaton went to leave from a relatives home and the car would not - again - start up and/or even turn over - nothing - again dash board lights on - radio on - but nothing and this time no clicking noise to be heard. About 2.5 hours later - trying same again - the darn thing started back up - my husband and I immediately high-tailed it home and parked the car in the driveway. Sunday came (yesterday) and we tried the car and again it started right up like nothing ever happened!!!

Bottom line - once bitten by a dog I guess...but the mobile is being brought in to the dealership and we do not want it back until which time as someone has determined what the heck is occurring!

Anyone else go through this one - this commander is an '07 with only 19,500 miles on it, what a piece of work!!!
  • itabotitabot Member Posts: 105
    Let me know if you find out what the problem is. You see that (below is e-mail going to Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge in Michigan) i had similiar problem and they told me that it was the starter. Now, and i haven't addressed this with chrysler yet, i am driving this jeep with the fresh oil change and new starter and where on the dash the D - indicating Drive - is usually lit up it shows me that i'm in 1 and the RPM are climbing. i pull in shut off and start over and the car is fine. And i really thought that this car would be a long term investment; otherwise, for what i payed for it, i should have just gotten a small BMW and called it a day.

Follow up to Phone Call This Afternoon:

I've already spoken with: 1. a friend who the same dealer's sales people acknowledge was set to buy another car from the them in cash (a sebring convertible), and 2. financial analysts following the current state of the auto-industry and Chrysler in particular, i.e., in addition to reviewing the following within your customer service department, I'd also cc your investor relations department.

The Situation:
    I purchased slightly used car (Jeep Commander) from the Jeep Dealer in Westport, CT in October 2008. It was working well enough - with exception of radio light flashing - until the day after I picked it up from an oil change service. The service was last Thursday, July 23. The problems started Friday, July 24.
    The day after I picked car up from the oil service the starter apparently failed. While stranded with a car that wouldn't start, The dealer told me to call Road Side Emergency Assistance and while The Service Department couldn't give me that number themselves, I had the Emergency Road Side Service Cards that the same dealership had given to me when I purchased the car. They gave me these cards when they gave me the keys.

Only when I phoned The Emergency Road Side Service they told me that the cards were no good because they expired one month before I purchcased the car!!!

So, another local resident who is waiting with me at the local Starbucks where about 7 people have gathered wondering what could be wrong with this Jeep that looks so new especially after I told them that it only had 30k miles on it, calls a tow truck and I pay for tow on my own ($90).

Then back at The Dealership, they have me waiting for hours while they try to locate the paperwork for my car. What they discover is that the salesman who left a month or so after I purchased the car never entered my paperwork; the result: i am not in the system. They explained to me that I needed to understand that as far as they knew on the day that I purchased the car, they thought were being shut down the following month, so things were sort of crazy, some paperwork didn't get entered, etc.

So, while they believe I didn't steal the car off of The Lot, they aren't sure that the starter is covered under the warranty. I remind them that at time of sale I was told that (and my brother who covers the auto industry from a financial markets perspective was told that) The Warranty they were giving me on the used car covered everything except the tires and windshield wipers in addition to the power train warranty of (8) years/(80)k miles. However, what they insisted on when the starter needed replacing, was that i had the warranty that required i provide a $100 deductible.

So, i give them the $100 + 6% tax, as well as having paid for the tow of $90. Only now they are telling me that they can't find any indication in the paperwork -again, never entered into the computer system as is their regular practice - that indicates that I have any warranty at all!!!

And that is not acceptable.

As I told them 1. I would not be so dumb as to buy a used car without an extended warranty; 2. they should not be so dumb as to sell one without one; 3. they gave me cards for road side service that expired one month before i purchased the car; 4. they should be ashamed of themselves and apologizng to me for selling me a car with a bad starter, I should not be working so hard to get it covered by a warranty; 5. i could accept the starter not being covered under a particular warranty but i will not accept no warranty at all on a used car that has under 36k miles on it; 6. the car is going in for a $1500-1600 30k mile servicing - none of which is covered - during the last week of August, but if I don't have a warranty on anything I'm certainly not having it serviced at a jeep dealership, and 7. the friend who met me at The Dealership and who gave me a ride there while The Jeep was being towed was about to pay cash for a new sebring there but because i'm receiving this sort of treatment he's holding back on doing so. Regarding this friend, his family and he have always purchased - in cash - thier trucks and now their sebring convertibles from this dealership, but seeing the difficulty that i'm enduring he's holding back; the dealerships salespeople can attest to this.

Short of Long: I expect the warranty on this car that i was told i had on it, i.e., the comprehensive 6 year/60k in addition to the 8 year/80k power train warranty. I also expect - if they want me to do business with them that is not covered - a discount on my 30k servicing to compensate me for all of this inconvenience.

I paid a very large price for this car and I purchased within a dealership - which costs more than not doing so - because of the warrantys! So please contact me and let me know what next steps to take.
    wow...and I thought I had commander problems! I will let you know what transpires - my infamous commander is due to hit the garage again..... and typically when it does it is there for almost a week each time mind you - any-who it goes in Thursday (provided it starts if not it will be flatbedded). Thereafter next week sometime I'll make a post - hopefully with a conclusion. Trying to keep the faith here!

Sorry for all you have been enduring - that is maddening to say the least! Yes, we both should have gotten a BMW - for me it would have been my second - had one back in the day and am considering it again perhaps next year.

Best,
    Debbie-
  • gregcole91gregcole91 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2008 jeep commander. No problems yet. However, the blue tooth buttons above the radio, for U-Connect, says "U-connect" unavailable when pushed. What do I have to buy/install to activate my hands free device? I have bluetooth for my cell in my other vehicle which is great. This one is for my wife and she really needs blue tooth as much as she talks?
  • commbricommbri Member Posts: 7
    Yup - happened today with our 2007 Commander Limited w/ Hemi. This after a week of trying to chase down sticking in 4th gear problem. Just had it towed back to dealer service. Thinking Lemon Law,
    Trite but can't help myself - welcome to the club - I have gone through this twice in the past year - it happened that again (within one year) it appears to be the 'starter'. Interestingly the last post placed by me regarding this - I have been so darn disgusted I decided I wouldn't even follow it up - but then your message - hence response. I was told the last time we brought it in - until the jeep died again they wouldn't be able to duplicate anything! Well someone must have been listening - as the darn thing died right in the entry way of the dealership - couldn't have asked for better! Sorry you are encountering same - a year back had to have it flatbedded back from Sheboygan to Libertyville, IL as it was a Sunday afternoon & everything locally was closed and I run a business. Anyway have them check the starter - ridiculous as it sounds to us, this done twice in one year - it appears that is the problem with this commander I've got. Again it's a 2007 - bought it new - and mind you has less than 20,000 miles as my office is but 3 minutes from my home! Best,
    Thanks for your welcome and response. Funny you should mention - just got off of phone w/ dealer service: They started the Commander right up this a.m. and could not find any diagnostic code. I will call back and suggest they actually take a look at a mechanical not software based cause... the starter.

BTW, this on the heels of 3 trips to service last week to diagnose why car is sticking in fourth gear. Love this vehicle (Limited, 5.7 Hemi), but considering going down replacement road, hopefully w/o invoking Lemon Law...

Thanks again!
    Did I mention that we bought w/ 4200 miles on it, now has 9100?
  • ultra2ultra2 Member Posts: 1
    i bought a 2008 commander in 8/08. it had to be flat bedded to dealer in 2/09 because first the radio/phone/navigation system went dead. after a day the car would not start at all, completely dead. it just went in for the 5th time in 7 mos. the dealer replaced the radio system twice didn't work. they think it is a intermittent software problem. they said that the computer shuts the radio down because it senses a problem so it shuts down the least critical system. but the problem is that it also causes a drain on the battery- eventually going dead!! i contacted a lawyer. any advice???
  • cjkrumseycjkrumsey Member Posts: 1
    Erie, PA
    11/3/08
    search under Rumsey, Joann

The newspapers describe it all and pictures speak a thousand words.
    This 2007 Jeep Commander crashed by stallling at a high speed claiming the lives of a young woman 40 years old and her 2 children who were 4 yrs old and 18 months old.
    Please search and review this incident before selecting to put your family in a brand new Jeep Vehicle. A 5 star crash rating will not do much good if the vehicle stalls at a high speed and the driver is unable to control such vehicle.
    Please, if you have a family review this before purchasing a Jeep Product
  • heiressmjheiressmj Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I've had the same problems posted here as it relates to the whistling windshields and the Water in the Dash.
    The whistling windshield though I didn't know that it was a common problem. Mine didn't start until I had the windshield replaced from a stone chip. I had SafeLite AutoGlass out to replace the windshield 4 times - thinking it was their faulty work. It's now fixed and I haven't had a problem since.
    The water in the dash I was told was from a clogged drain in the sun roof. But I had sooooo much water it actually shorted out the speakers. Got that fixed.

Now the new prob... Had some crackling in the speakers and then no audio at all. Took it to the dealer and was told it needed an update. After nearly 2 hours of labor they tell me its not an update that the Amplifier was "burnt" and so were the feed wires. Everything was blackened. and it was going to cost 700 plus to fix it.

Well I bought the extended 100k warranty and was then told that I didn't buy a Chrysler warranty from the original Jeep Dealer but some after market crap and the "new" dealer wasn't going to honor it. After hours of going back and forth the dealer agreed to honor the warranty but then had the audacity to tell me they went over the allocated amount of claimable warranty hours and that I was expected to pay this. I wound up NOT paying it but good grief this has been agrevating.

I'm thinking at this point that the amplifier went due to the previous water issue but no one will tell me. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and know that to have this arching problem there's something seriously wrong somewhere with the electrical in general or that there is water. And I'm now very concerned since I have this 3rd party warranty instead of a real Jeep Warranty.

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery.
  • jaynbayjaynbay Member Posts: 6
    I was wondering if you ever got the starting issue resolved. I have an 06 Limited and am experiencing the same issues as it occassionally will not start. Took it in to the dealer and they could not replicate the issue. thanks
    Yes, I did, thank you. Replacing the starter and pretty much all the modules seems to have fixed the issue. Luckily ours is still under warranty so "gee, let's try replacing this" approach is still possible. Dealers could not replicate. Actually, it did happen once since and I sat there, breathed in and out three times, removed key, tapped steering wheel, prayed - then it started right up.
    for my 2007 - twice it was the starter switch - twice in one year -

Now separately and recently all the advisory lights for service 4wd kept popping on -brought it in they replaced the brake switch (seemed odd to us a brake switch) but anyway two weeks later the same thing happened again and they had me bring it back in overnight and again replaced the brake switch!!

Hope that helps - good luck!
  • taken4aridetaken4aride Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2006 Jeep Commander, 3.7, 4x4 with 22K original miles.This truck has multiple problems. Right now it is sitting in the driveway leaking fluids. The most fluid leaking is yellowish and oily feeling. Tons of it. My son checked the fluid resevoirs and discovered that the power steering fluid keeps disappearing as well. This truck will not start right now. When I turn the key all the dashboard lights come on but the truck doesn't turn over. The "not starting" has been going on for a couple of months. It has been flatbedded home twice. I go out to start it and it starts like nothing is wrong. I get in to start it to go back home....won't start. I have had it in to be looked at but it started each time the mechanic turned the key. (go figure). The very last time it started there was a loud rumbling coming from somewhere under the car. In addition, the windshield wiper fluid won't spray. The fluid resevoir is full but the liquid won't come out. In addition addition, when backing up, the back up bells ring even when there is nothing in the vicinity of the truck. Also. My dashboard tire light is always on. Never goes off. I have had it in to the dealer for this. Dealer claimed it was fixed but the light came back on and has been on since.The last time I brought the truck in for service it ended up costing me $700.00 and I only wanted a yearly sticker. Before I bring it in for service I am hoping that someone can give me an idea of what all these problems stem from. Things have changed since 2006. I am now on a fixed income and can't afford these dealer visits at $700.00+ a pop. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
  • tdouglas1tdouglas1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi...I am having the same problem with my 2006. Jerking around 40 mph. It's been to the dealership twice this month and they can't diagnose it. Did you ever have any luck?
    Sorry. I am in the midst of these issues right now. I haven't put it in the shop yet. My car is undriveable. It will be flatbedded to the shop this Wednesday. I will post back if the shop finds the problem. Right now I am trembling in my boots over how much money this excursion to the shop is going to cost.

I wish Edmunds.com (or anyone) could post a list of reputable mechanics on a state by state by city basis. Then it wouldn't hurt so much when we hand over $700 plus for car problems because we would know that the job was done right.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I wish Edmunds.com (or anyone) could post a list of reputable mechanics

Click on the Local Services tab above. Other members are writing reviews of mechanics.

Car Talk has a similar deal.
    Member of Congress who recommended the Jeep Chrysler Bail Out recommended the following: ask your local congressman for constituent complaint form and provide details of your complaints using that form to them; this is appropriate because Jeep Chrysler received bail out from US Government, i.e., your local congressmen and congresswomen care about how Jeep Chrysler, a.k.a., a company that they allowed their constituents to bail out, is treating those constituents.
    Thank you very much for this information. I will try. Although, in my mind the Chrysler Corp doesn't care what anybody thinks of them and their Jeeps.This can be evidenced by the problems the Jeep Commanders are still having. At some point you'd think Chrysler would step up their game and make Commanders which don't have issues.
  • fishersnfishersn Member Posts: 1
    I think this sounds like what we have been dealing with. Once our Commander is warmed up when you go to down shift to stop or turn it knocks. At the time of the knock it also gives a jolt and its almost as if its having a hard time getting into that lower gear or maybe like it is seizing. Its been a while since your last post but I was wondering if anything every came of your problem. Ours has been in the shop 4 times and the 1st 2 times they said it needed a update to the software (which did help for about a month each) then the next time It was I and not my husband who took it in and the service manager told me it was normal and that ALL Chryslers do it. I told him that I was not stupid and that if in fact all Chryslers do do that then more people would be concerned because it sounds like it is doing damage to the transmission. Last time the man my husband talked to finally agreed to look into it and said that it does look like there is an issue and when he figures out what they are going to do they will call us. Well 9 months later we are still waiting for that "call". I LOVE my car. I don't want to get rid of it but I worry that the warranty will be up and then we are really going to be screwed.
    Gotta tell you - my warranty will be up Mayish '10 then the fallback and/or extended one I'd purchased takes place - regardless of all, I'm so fearful that we'll again be on the darn road, a distance away, and have to have it flatbedded back - I'm seriously considering unloading it at that time. Probably getting myself in another bed or worms and considering Cadillac but time will tell as will much research into it. As much as I love the look, service folk have been over-all helpful - wow it's just not worth it for all the problems we've encountered over and over! I guess you really know you feel a major problem when both my husband and I have talked about our road trips this coming summer and even considered renting a mobile and/or taking his FJ which is not as comfortable of course - but unlike the commander it is reliable! That tells it all. I will be however, looking into the constituent complaint form if for nothing else than to get all these problems further on record! Hope it works out for you guys however!
  • jrthomas3jrthomas3 Member Posts: 1
    Hello! My 2006 commander 3.7liter automatic, approx 42k miles, seems to be "stuck" in 5th gear from time to time. i start off at light, and it seems bogged down... if i floor it, the rpm may jump to only 2500max and the engine sounds smooth, yet loud. it accelerates very slowly. when up to 35-40mph, it rides as if nothing is wrong. at next stop sign/light, same problem. it feels like trying to start in 5th gear...Also, when its in this "state", i cannot shift down using the autostick. its permanently stuck in "D"... it wont shift down to 4, 3, etc.
    if i then pull over and shut off engine, then start again, it seems to "reset" itself. i press on the gas, and i accelerate like nothing was wrong. i can then use the auto stick to shift up / down as i please. this problem started a few weeks ago and didnt happen for a week. then it started again a few days ago, and seems to happen once/day. if i shut engine off, then on, its fine until next time i turn off again.
    Please Help troubleshoot!
    thanks,
    JT
  • jeepcomm2006jeepcomm2006 Member Posts: 1
    I had the starter replaced back in March 2008.... 2 years later now they are saying the starter is bad again but not under warranty.

Anyone seem to have these starter troubles at all? not sure if its worth getting it refurbished instead of paying for a new one now

-JeepComm
    2006 Jeep Commander,3.7, 6cyl with 22K miles purchased brand new.

I'm not sure if this applies to your question but yes I had starter problems among other things. My Jeep would only start intermittently. While my car was under warranty (3yrs/30,000), the dealer never, ever found a thing wrong during maintenance and the issues I brought up were not resolved After the warranty expired, the dealer seemed to think I needed a whole car makeover. After all my rumblings on this board about not taking my Jeep to the dealer for service because I didn't trust them. The first day that the car started I took it to the dealer. Their total estimate was $3000.00 (without labor). I needed a new starter. I had a leak in the transmission, I needed rear pads and rotors. I needed throttle body service, PCV, a windshield washer pump and I needed a new power steering pump. I declined all service. I took it to a trusted mechanic, purchased the parts myself and the final bill for a new starter, windshield washer pump, a new power steering pump, pads and rotors was about $500 and $200 labor. My car starts fine. I don't have any leaks and the brakes actually stop the car now. (LOL).

Do I think that this is the end of my troubles with this vehicle. No. After all, Chrylsler seems to be making an awful lot of vehicles that fall apart within the first 3 years. The replacement parts probably aren't much better. This whole Commander experience has been so disappointing because I have had 4 other Jeeps that were worry free. I just expected the same level of excellence with the Commander. My bad.
    Have an -07 w/only 24,500 miles on it mind you - I've had two (count them) two starters replaced in this mobile! Unbelievable really! This not to mention (listed w/in this site) counteless other large issues! Totally disgusted with this auto!
  • kjr8115kjr8115 Member Posts: 1
    I believe i have a dead mouse in the blower system (smells really bad). I am having a hard time getting the dashboard off does anyone have any ideas. I get to a certain point and I cannot figure out how to get at the blower fan and see if anything is caught in it.
    gas cap on 2006 jeep commander was loose (not the three clicks, someone else filled for me the last two times and i noticed this), so i am thinking that is why the Malfunction Indicator Light went on this morning (manual says that can cause this); the commander has 42k on it and i have had problems with it prior to its hitting 36k.

called chrysler today and crystal said that - i told her gas cap had been loose and i filled with ultra premium but light was still on - she explained that several typical driving cycles' (as manual indicates are required before light will go off if it is just a loose gas cap) would = about 50miles and that if light remains on after 50 miles, bring it to service center.

the light is on but not blinking (manual says blinking light suggests need for immediate servicing)

other than the light, the commander is driving well enough. since purchasing used at a local Westport-Norwalk Jeep Dealer (who failed to file warranty papers at time of purchase thus leaving me without a warranty) i have put another $6k into the car, bad brakes, bad tires, new starter, leaking fuel, transmission and power steering lines, etc., i .e., i am hoping that the loose gas cap really could have brought on this light and that 50 miles of driving will cure it.

any insights/experience with this?
    The warranty filing issue sounds like a legal matter to me... I suggest getting those receipts out and consult an attorney.

I've had the gas cap issue a couple of times lately. Check engine light goes on and auto start will not work for a few cycles, then it re-sets and works fine. Best/worst car I've ever owned. Definitely going to get a third party extended warranty as factory coverage comes to a close in 10k miles. Good luck!
  • Cruz63Cruz63 Member Posts: 2
    My 07 also bogs down then accelerate when making a turn. Did you get this resolved?

Does your Commander also jerk around 40-50mph climbing hills?

Thanks
  • mdonigan1mdonigan1 Member Posts: 6
    no solution..... im told its because of the automatic transfer of power from tires that slip to those that grip. Anyway, I gave up on complaining and im out of warranty now. But I have 46k on it and own it. Best of luck....
  • tdouglas1tdouglas1 Member Posts: 2
    My 2006 jerks like that...it's been to the dealership twice and the have sent it home with no explanation both times. Now not only is it still jerking but the front end is shaking along with the jerking. I am so fustrated!
  • lotsofmileslotsofmiles Member Posts: 2
    There are two phillips head screws on the passenger side that hold the cover plate. Remove the screws and pull out the plastice uncover plate. The fan blower is held by 3 hex torque screws. Remove the 3 trque screws and the fan blower drops right out. The mouse will be in the middle of the squirrel cage. We just removed the 3rd mouse this year. Be sure to clean out everything with Clorox and Lysol. Use Ozium to blow into duct work as well. Assembly is in the reverse order.
  • ephnjephnj Member Posts: 1
    I just repair my Jeep Commander after an accident and the radiator fan won't ccome on. Can someone share some experience with me pretaining to this issue.">
  • dirtbiker748dirtbiker748 Member Posts: 1
    gigagirl, did you find out what was wrong with the dash lights flickering? i am having the same problem, as well as the lights behind the temp guages. any insight would be greatly appreciated
  • lowenivylowenivy Member Posts: 14
    Pls. help!! I just drove to a Sunday mass and after the sevices, started to switch on the ignition, but won't start. I used another spare key fob thinking the other was defective, but same result. This is the first time it happened after puting in 42k miles./ Everything lights on the dashboard when switch to on, but no sound coming from the hood. Battery is good as shown on my voltage meter, horn works well, thightened and cleaned battery clamps, but still does not crank. I presume its an electrical problem between the starter or something. I had it towed just to be home. Can anyone please help me before I spend some dough again? Thanks. Lowenivy
  • lowenivylowenivy Member Posts: 14
    I forgot to mention that I have an '08 3.7cyl 4 x 4 Jeep Commander with 42K miles. Hope it would help. Thanks again. Lowenivy