Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Montero Sport

Comments

• New to Edmunds.com
    I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee Sport and am looking to replace it. (I am basically telling you I am a woman who has driven and liked the "truck-like SUVs) I am torn between an 03 Mitsubishi Sport XLS with only 2700 miles (corporate vehicle) and an 03 Nissan Pathfinder SE (with all LE interior upgrades and 14K)
    I am aware of the horsepower difference between the two vehicles but I looking for more info. Problems with either vehicle etc.
    My purpose(s) for this vehicle are: driving to work, driving cross-country (moving to East Bay area of California in a month), convincing my husband to buy a camper or boat and visit lake tahoe, yosemite etc. And having room to transport new purchases (husband has toy (ford mustang)-not comparable) Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • ldbrickerldbricker Posts: 140
    Have you considered a new Mitsu to get the 100k warranty? I'm not a Nissan fan so Mitsu gets my vote.
  • Also being a woman who enjoys truck based SUV's... I've test driven both the Pathfiner and Montero Sport and find that the power and overall comfort of the Pathfinder is superior to the Montero Sport. I like the looks of the Montero Sport better, but based upon Consumer Reports reliability reports and my own test drive... I'd go with the Pathfinder hands down!
  • jstewjstew Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of purchasing a 2000 Montero Sport with 108k miles. I'd like it to last another 3 or 4 years and I'm not expecting to drive it over 10k miles/year. Any tips/advice from owners with high mileage Montero Sports appreciated!
  • mysport2000mysport2000 Posts: 11
    My 2000 LS 4x4 has 75K and I've babied it. Every recommended service, technical bulletins taken care of (control arms, front end and enlarged transmission pan). It's been my favorite vehicle so far (I'm 40) and I hope it lasts another 3 years. Because they plan to phase out the sport in 2005, I'll have to go for the larger Montero - if I can afford the gas (I need it for moderate off-roading to my cabin) Good luck!
  • My 99 MS has an annoying springy, squeaky noise coming from the rear suspension. I've had several mechanics take a look at it, but no one's been able to fix it. I've heard the leafs that make up the rear suspension have a plastic film covering in between them that wears out over time, which causes the noise. I had the film replaced last week and the noise went away for a day or two, only to come back today. It's maddening, the car squeaks like an old clunker. Has anyone dealt with this problem?
  • I just purchased a used 2000 Sport Lmtd with 82,000 miles. Took
    it in for complete inspection and found control arms bad, two
    rear oil leaks, tires cupped and vehicle pulls to right. Took
    back to dealer for repairs, total bid for all repairs was
    about 1800. Was also told to replace timing belt and drive
    belt. Costly items. Have only had Ford vehicles. Currently
    own a 01 Escape. Not sure what I should expect on Montero.
    Any advice would be appreciated. I have option to give back
    to dealer. Found problems within the three day period. I am
    wondering if anyone has anything good to say about this model.
    Thanks
  • dmuttdmutt Posts: 48
    I have a 2000 Sport Limited 4x4 with 61,000 miles. I had the control arms replaced at 30,000 which also solved the coupled tires and pulling to the right as you have noticed.
    I wonder if Mitsu. might cover part of the costs, since I have been told that this a problem with the Sport.
    Other things I have had done that were noted by a TSB and no cost to me:
    Larger Transmission oil pan.
    Larger rear rear door hatch struts.
    Transmission re programed because of "rev shifting'.
    Under recall: Brake line replaced.
    Other items: Power antenna, twice. Once under warranty. Just recently, I did.
    Noticed the 4x4 indicator light does not come on sometimes. A switch is the culprit. Need to put into 4X4 once a month to keep switch working properly.
    Front brake pads at 30,000 and at 60,000, both front and rear pads.
    Other than this, nothing else. Has been a good rig. Costly for maintenance ,if you go to a dealership. I have found others that will do it for far less.
    And you need to replace the timing belt by 90,000 miles. At this time, I would suggest to do the water pump and tune up as well. I have not done mine yet.
    Not knowing what you paid for this vehicle, would make up my mind to keep it or not. There have been some great used deals on this model.
    I have two other friends who have the Sport and have been pleased with them. Some on this board have not. Luck of the draw, I guess.
    Good Luck on your decision.
  • I paid 11,000 for it. Dealer took back and took to
    two different dealers. Found control arm bushings loose
    not bad. Did not verify any other problems that the
    dealer reported. Think you may be right on dealer
    repair cost. Brakes were just done as well. Other
    than the problem with the front end "which I hope
    will be solved with the tighting of bushings, the
    rig drove excellent and is in top condition. I will
    take your advice on timing belt and tune up. Love
    this model and hope to have as good of luck as you
    Thanks for the input.
  • Thanks for your input. I returned the vehicle to the
    original dealer with the report I recieved from the
    2nd inspection. The dealer took in to three repair
    shops for inspection and found that the 2nd inspection
    was wrong. They were trying to charge me for control
    arms when all that was wrong was bushings were loose.
    I paid 11,000 for it. I think that I will change
    all belts, brakes have been done. I would assume that
    the original owner took care of brake line when the
    recall was issued. Will take in for tune up and follow
    your suggestions. Vehicle runs great and is in excellent
    condition short of a few very minor scratches. I am
    looking forward to enjoying all the extras. Since my
    Escape has had tie rods replaced twice and sway bar
    not to mention all the rattles and squeaks, and note
    I have only owned it a little over a year, I do not
    think I could have any worse luck with another
    model. Thanks again for the timely response and the
    advice.
    $11,000 for a limited is a great deal. Savings you can use to do belt & tune up.
    I still feel this vehicle is a sleeper. Not many people know about it, and it has been very reliable, in most cases. And, as you have found out, is a very good price for what it has to offer.
    Hope you like it and stays trouble free!
  • I AM NEW TO THIS WEBSITE - I CURRENTLY AM DRIVING A 1991 GEO PRIZM LSI THAT WAS PURCHASED BY ME IN 1991 - IT HA BEEN AN EXCELLENT AUTOMOBILE - I'm FEELING THE NEED TO UPGRADE SOMEWHAT. I HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO PURCHASE A 1998 MONTERO SPORT LS
    2 WD AUTO - I'VE BEEN READING MOST ALL OF THE MESSAGES AND AM QUITE CONFUSED. IT APPEARS THAT THE MAJORITY OF 1997 AND 1998 OWNERS OF THE MS WERE/ARE EXTREMELY HAPPY - 2000 AND ABOVE SEEM DISSATISFIED. THIS VEH HAS 107,000 ROAD MILES - I KNOW PREVIOUS OWNER - BUT I KNOW TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT IS DUE - ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA AS TO COST? A MECHANIC TOLD ME TODAY TO EXPECT 500.00. I WAS GOING TO WAIT UNTIL OCT TO PURCHASE BUT I REALLY LIKE THE MS - BUT AM UNSURE ABOUT RELIABILITY AND COST OF MAINTENANCE. WOULD SURELY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK - YOU MAY EMAIL AT JANICESMITHLEE@BELLSOUTH.NET. ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Welcome aboard!

YOU MAY EMAIL AT...

That defeats the purpose of a message board and deprives everyone else of the information that only Town Hall members can provide! Stick around and participate and you'll be much more likely to get a reply. :-)

tidester, host
  • Hey, 708 - Thanks, I admitted I was new to message boards - you're right - do you have any input relating to the 1998 Montero Sport - I really like the automobile - but based on what I've read concerning Mitsubishi I'm really concerned about maintenance.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    No, I can't really provide any input on the Sport as I've never driven one. I do know that the edmunds.com review of the '03 called it an attractive and comfortable vehicle but voiced some concerns about the soft suspension and slow transmission.

Any Sport owners out there who can lend insights? Thanks!

tidester, host
  • Do you or anyone else have any info on suspension on the sport?
    I have had control arms replaced, tire rotated and balanced
    front end alignment and still rides very rough. You can feel
    every bump in the road! Have had timing belt, drive belt and
    power steering belts replaced, water pump. Took to a small
    repair shop for belt and a dealership for the control arms,
    both say that shocks/struts do not go bad. However I can't
    believe this is the way this vehicle handles. No one would buy
    anything that drives like this. I have the 00 limited. Does it
    have both shocks and struts? Do they have a stabilizer bar for
    ?the front end, springs? Any info that could put me in the right
    direction for repairs would help. I have already put about
    1,800 into vehicle. At some point it would not be worth
    putting in anymore. Maybe sell? Thanks
  • I had some problems with my 00 LS, The dealership replaced control arms and everything else that Mitsu knew was an issue with my model. Recently I had the shocks replaced, they said they were leaking and I noticed an audible sound. Front end feels secure now. The only thing I did away from the dealership was tires which made a world of difference. I put on slightly larger Toyo AT Country 265 75 16 and for the first time there was no vibe at any speed and the pulling went away. I've got 76K on mine and have had it since new. I'll be sad when I replace it next year for either a full-size Montero or go for broke and by a Toyota. Hope this helps you out.
    Mine rides pretty smooth. And it has shocks all the way around that do go bad after a long period of time. But this would make the Sport more bouncy, not rough, unless it is riding in the bump stops. It also has front and rear stabilizer bars. This will not effect the ride. Controls stability of vehicle side-to-side.

I wonder if the shocks have been replaced with a stiffer kind. Or is there some type of rear coil spring suspension helper, like air bags that are pumped up. Or, possibly the coils are shot and are riding on the bump stoppers located above rear coil spring. Some people have added a revised bump stopper that are larger and will make the truck ride rougher. I have added air bags that allow me to adjust to the weight added, and yet, let air out for normal conditions. Works very well and costs about $100. The fronts are torsion bars that can be adjusted by turning them at there adjustment bolt.

Tires can add to a rougher ride depending on what kind you have and how much they are inflated. I have, now, Michelin Cross-Terrains that are inflated to 32 psi and work very well. The stock Yokohama's also rode very well.

Bottom line is, that it should not ride rough. I and three other people that I know have 2000 Sports 4X4's that do not exhibit rough rides. Something is wrong or added.
  • This is my first post on this board.

I have a 2001 Montero Sport XLS. I bought it this past May to replace my 98 MSport LS (it had 140k miles). It had 38k miles and I paid $11,500.

On both, I noticed the front suspension seemed to be loose, more of course on the old LS. This could be felt when going over bumps.

I've been reading the messages on Vibrations and loose control arm bushings. Those of you who had the bushings tightened, was your problem similar to mine? did tightening the bushings fix it? Has anyone done this themselves?

Thanks
  • No, I had the control arms replaced, aligned and
    all shocks replaced and I still have rough ride
    and vibrations. I found the lower arms loose and
    husband is going to replace them. I am also going
    to replace all tires.If this does not improve the
    ride and stop the vibrations, I will most likely
    sell. I have been told that stabilizer bars could
    be a problem. Anyone have an idea on the cost?