Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Montero Sport

Comments

• dmuttdmutt Posts: 48
    $11,000 for a limited is a great deal. Savings you can use to do belt & tune up.
    I still feel this vehicle is a sleeper. Not many people know about it, and it has been very reliable, in most cases. And, as you have found out, is a very good price for what it has to offer.
    Hope you like it and stays trouble free!
  • I AM NEW TO THIS WEBSITE - I CURRENTLY AM DRIVING A 1991 GEO PRIZM LSI THAT WAS PURCHASED BY ME IN 1991 - IT HA BEEN AN EXCELLENT AUTOMOBILE - I'm FEELING THE NEED TO UPGRADE SOMEWHAT. I HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO PURCHASE A 1998 MONTERO SPORT LS
    2 WD AUTO - I'VE BEEN READING MOST ALL OF THE MESSAGES AND AM QUITE CONFUSED. IT APPEARS THAT THE MAJORITY OF 1997 AND 1998 OWNERS OF THE MS WERE/ARE EXTREMELY HAPPY - 2000 AND ABOVE SEEM DISSATISFIED. THIS VEH HAS 107,000 ROAD MILES - I KNOW PREVIOUS OWNER - BUT I KNOW TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT IS DUE - ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA AS TO COST? A MECHANIC TOLD ME TODAY TO EXPECT 500.00. I WAS GOING TO WAIT UNTIL OCT TO PURCHASE BUT I REALLY LIKE THE MS - BUT AM UNSURE ABOUT RELIABILITY AND COST OF MAINTENANCE. WOULD SURELY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK - YOU MAY EMAIL AT JANICESMITHLEE@BELLSOUTH.NET. ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Welcome aboard!

YOU MAY EMAIL AT...

That defeats the purpose of a message board and deprives everyone else of the information that only Town Hall members can provide! Stick around and participate and you'll be much more likely to get a reply. :-)

tidester, host
  • Hey, 708 - Thanks, I admitted I was new to message boards - you're right - do you have any input relating to the 1998 Montero Sport - I really like the automobile - but based on what I've read concerning Mitsubishi I'm really concerned about maintenance.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    No, I can't really provide any input on the Sport as I've never driven one. I do know that the edmunds.com review of the '03 called it an attractive and comfortable vehicle but voiced some concerns about the soft suspension and slow transmission.

Any Sport owners out there who can lend insights? Thanks!

tidester, host
  • Do you or anyone else have any info on suspension on the sport?
    I have had control arms replaced, tire rotated and balanced
    front end alignment and still rides very rough. You can feel
    every bump in the road! Have had timing belt, drive belt and
    power steering belts replaced, water pump. Took to a small
    repair shop for belt and a dealership for the control arms,
    both say that shocks/struts do not go bad. However I can't
    believe this is the way this vehicle handles. No one would buy
    anything that drives like this. I have the 00 limited. Does it
    have both shocks and struts? Do they have a stabilizer bar for
    ?the front end, springs? Any info that could put me in the right
    direction for repairs would help. I have already put about
    1,800 into vehicle. At some point it would not be worth
    putting in anymore. Maybe sell? Thanks
  • I had some problems with my 00 LS, The dealership replaced control arms and everything else that Mitsu knew was an issue with my model. Recently I had the shocks replaced, they said they were leaking and I noticed an audible sound. Front end feels secure now. The only thing I did away from the dealership was tires which made a world of difference. I put on slightly larger Toyo AT Country 265 75 16 and for the first time there was no vibe at any speed and the pulling went away. I've got 76K on mine and have had it since new. I'll be sad when I replace it next year for either a full-size Montero or go for broke and by a Toyota. Hope this helps you out.
  • dmuttdmutt Posts: 48
    Mine rides pretty smooth. And it has shocks all the way around that do go bad after a long period of time. But this would make the Sport more bouncy, not rough, unless it is riding in the bump stops. It also has front and rear stabilizer bars. This will not effect the ride. Controls stability of vehicle side-to-side.

I wonder if the shocks have been replaced with a stiffer kind. Or is there some type of rear coil spring suspension helper, like air bags that are pumped up. Or, possibly the coils are shot and are riding on the bump stoppers located above rear coil spring. Some people have added a revised bump stopper that are larger and will make the truck ride rougher. I have added air bags that allow me to adjust to the weight added, and yet, let air out for normal conditions. Works very well and costs about $100. The fronts are torsion bars that can be adjusted by turning them at there adjustment bolt.

Tires can add to a rougher ride depending on what kind you have and how much they are inflated. I have, now, Michelin Cross-Terrains that are inflated to 32 psi and work very well. The stock Yokohama's also rode very well.

Bottom line is, that it should not ride rough. I and three other people that I know have 2000 Sports 4X4's that do not exhibit rough rides. Something is wrong or added.
  • This is my first post on this board.

I have a 2001 Montero Sport XLS. I bought it this past May to replace my 98 MSport LS (it had 140k miles). It had 38k miles and I paid $11,500.

On both, I noticed the front suspension seemed to be loose, more of course on the old LS. This could be felt when going over bumps.

I've been reading the messages on Vibrations and loose control arm bushings. Those of you who had the bushings tightened, was your problem similar to mine? did tightening the bushings fix it? Has anyone done this themselves?

Thanks
  • No, I had the control arms replaced, aligned and
    all shocks replaced and I still have rough ride
    and vibrations. I found the lower arms loose and
    husband is going to replace them. I am also going
    to replace all tires.If this does not improve the
    ride and stop the vibrations, I will most likely
    sell. I have been told that stabilizer bars could
    be a problem. Anyone have an idea on the cost?
  • cracoviancracovian Posts: 337
    From thecarconnection.com today:

"Two slow-selling models in the Mitsubishi lineup are being deleted at the end of the current model year, Automotive News reports. The Mitsu Diamante sedan and the Montero Sport SUV will be dropped - and the paper adds, the brand could drop its seven-seat Montero SUV in another couple of years. Mitsubishi's dire financial straits mean that replacements for the Sport and Diamante have fallen off the planning radar, leaving the top-line Galant GTS to replace the Diamante in the U.S., and upmarket versions of the Endeavor crossover to step in for the five-passenger Montero Sport. The Montero, the paper reports, could go away if Mitsubishi cannot finance the engineering updates needed to import it to the U.S. in 2007, when new safety and emissions regulations come into play."
  • I, too, am 40 and have a 2000 Mitsu Sport LX and still love it. It's been a great vehicle. I have 83,000 and have also babied it. I did my research using Edmonds before purchasing the vehicle and got a great deal.

I have not had any problems with it and plan to buy the Endeavor in another 3 to 4 years. The vehicle is sleek and sexy and I love to drive it!

Great SUV!!!
  • Does anyone know how to get the brake light on the dash to go off?
     I was bouncing around a dirt back road in four and when I had to drop out of four, the brake light came on and now it seems to be stuck on...

Is this a simple fix or what?

Thanks.
  • I am in the market for an SUV. I am not sure how does the Montero Sport LS rate in consumer confidence. People who like it and people who hated it - would you guys please share some experience. I have seen pictures of one of this in the market and before I call the person I would like to know how does this car rate on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 = good/excellent).

Here are the Specs:

Engine: V6 3.0 Liter
    Trans: Automatic
    Drive: 4 Wheel Drive
    Mileage: 85,000
    Condition: Excellent, one owner, have maintained it in a mint condition.

Equipment
    Air Conditioning
    Power Steering
    Power Windows
    Power Door Locks
    Tilt Wheel
    Cruise Control
    AM/FM Stereo
    Cassette
    10 CD Changer
    Premium Sound
    Dual Front Air Bags
    ABS (4-Wheel)
    Roof Rack
    Privacy Glass
    Running Boards
    Grille Guard
    Towing Pkg
    Premium Wheels
    Ovrsize Off-Rd Tires

Thanks for reading and taking time.
  • I've found a few other posts specific to 2000 Montero Sports and transmission problems. Recently, my 2000 LS has started to balk ocassionally when going from 2nd to 3rd gear. This usually happens when it is cold or when I accelerate quickly. When it is bucking and hesitating to shift, the vehicle looses power, as if it were running out of gas. This has happened a handful of times in 4 days.

For those of you who had transmission problems, did you get any resolutions?

Thanks, Mike.
  • Carshopper77, it may be a little late to help you but here goes, (just found this site). I've got a 98 which is more or less the same as the 97 I think.
    I bought it new in 98, it currently has 119K on it. It's the LS 3.0 auto 4WD. The problems I've had with it are: Replaced the air compressor and clutch at around 100k miles. Had a freakish thing happen to the engine at 107k miles. One day it started running like crap (I mean it would barely move and sounded like it was running on three cylinders). Mitsu dealer tore the engine apart and said a lubritaction failure caused a cylinder head cam to lock up which sheared the cam pin and bent the valves. Long story short, replaced the engine with one that had 40k miles on it (not cheap!). I haven't experienced any of the front end problems others have spoke of, or any problems of any kind to be honest. Other then the catastrophic engine failure the truck has been a champ. Thus, I have mixed feelings about it. The engine is to weak to do any regular towing, which I don't, so it is adequate for me. The only other thing I don't like about it is the ridiculous expense of changing the plugs and timing belt, an $800 job at the stealership. I still think it's one of the sharperst looking SUVs on the road. Would I buy another one? Yes, even considering the engine problem, which I think was just one of those things.
  • theej9theej9 Posts: 2
    I have had a similar problem in regards to the 4wd indicator light on my 2001 Montero Sport w/58000m. I could sometimes get it to come on, however it would only come on blinking for about a minute or so then trun off. I am not sure exactly what this means, but I know for certain that the vehicle would not transfer into 4wd.

What do you mean by the switch being the culprit, as I am very eager to get this issue resovled.

Also, do you know how much it cost you to repair?

Thanks..
  • does anyone know where i can find a lift kit for my 2003 Montero Sport 4x4
  • I have been driving a 1997 LS since 1998. It turned over 200,000 miles yesterday morning.

I have replaced my alternator 5 times in the past 12 months, most recently three weeks ago. My mechanic told me that he has two other Montero Sport owners that have had the same problem. Today, my SRS light came on after I turned off the cruise control, and later the oil temperature light came on. I had alternator-like symptoms about 45 minutes earlier (tape player going berserk and digital clock going out). Does anyone know what is going on?

My factory-installed 10-disc changer hasn't worked since probably 2000. The display reads ERR 04, but the owner's manual tells nothing about this, and my local dealership has been no help. I have a disk in the changer, just in case it ever decides to work--and it's in position 4, the number that shows up on the display. Any ideas?

I absolutely love this car. I have had NO problems with it until this chain of alternator problems. I do not want another car, and I do not want to think about a car payment. Can anyone give me any tips--other than GET A NEW CAR?
  • I know this is 2 years later, but I saw this and have the same thing. If I play with the 4wd lever, the light will come on and I will feel it engage, and then the abs light comes on. My guess is it is something in the pnuematic system (doesnt' air control both the abs and the 4wd??). I have had my 00 for 4 years, and have had no real problems. Yes, the tranny shifts a little goofy, but with 150K miles and no real service done I feel pretty good. Please let me know if anyone has found the bottom line on the car's flakiness in going into 4wd.
  • Just purchased a 02 Sport with 46K on it. Before delivery, dealership replaced all 3 switches involved in FWD: T/F Gearshift 4W; T/F High - Low Gearshift; and T/F Gearshift Low. Apparent FWD did not work without these switches being replaced. No problems now.
  • My 01 has 4 oxygen sensors? Seems like a lot of overkill just to get clean exhaust. Any comments on why 4? Thanks!
  • akashunakashun Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Montero Sport XLS, I'd like to know if there is anyway I could properly remove my headunit to install a different one and I would also like to know if anyone has information about the RMS wattage output on the stock headunit as well
  • riossrioss Posts: 2
    I have been searching on & off for the new Euro clear brake lenses, front corner markers & the front lower turn signal lense. I have seen them on a few Sports in Galleries. I have called some Companies but they say there is no demand for them. Can any provide me with some guidance on this matter.
  • riossrioss Posts: 2
    Requesting information on Aftermarket performance chips for the Montero Sport 3L/V6 engine. Has anyone installed one of these and actually noticed a significant difference?
  • I am trying to change the driver side marker light and there is not a way to take out the lens or the housing, when I check the manual is says it has to be done by the dealer, does anyone know what the secret is?
  • ok i don't have a solution, but a question, because i drive the same exact thing. but i changed my oil the other day, i used castrol 10w-30 non-synthetic and a fram oil filter. well today i was driving and it just started smoking out of the exhauset pipe, badly. and it was also shaking even when i was idling. i was thinking i used the wrong oil but i don't know. what kind of oil do you use?
  • lloydslloyds Posts: 1
    I bought my MS 4X4 LS new in July 2000. I gave it to my daughter about one year later when I got a company car. It has given us good service, except that now when it is driven at highway speeds over a hundred miles the A/T overheat light comes on and when you stop, and takeoff again, the starts are jerky and the gears have trouble changing. I drove the vehicle today on a 200 mile roundtrip and experienced problems with the automatic transmission today. I took it by the Hiley Mitsubishi dealership service department this afternoon on my way home, hoping they would drive it while hot, but the service manager said it would be Monday before they could look at it. They checked it out before (about 4 - 6 months ago), but were unable to duplicate the problem. I plan to take it back in on Monday to have them check it out again. I had the transmission fluid flushed and changed at around 30K.

It has 67,200 miles on it. We bought the extended 5 year 100K Warrentech warranty which is near expiration, when we bought it new. The dealer I bought it from, Don Davis Mitsubishi, has gotten out of the Mitsubishi business.

I recently paid $500 to change the timing belt, front engine seals, and all the other drive belts plus detail the engine compartment at Precision Tune. They did a good job for a fair price. We have changed the oil every 3,000 miles using Castrol Synthetic blend. The engine runs like new, and uses no oil.

The front end seems to be having problems. It seem to be loose when going over bumpy roads and is riding rough. I have had the front shocks replaced, but it seems that it has developed front end problems and the KYB shocks may not have been the correct answer.

I have had the disc brake pads replaced all around and purchased new tires about one year ago.

We have kept the interior clean and the exterior waxed. It still looks new.

I still like the body style and enjoy driving it when I get the opportunity.

Has anyone had issues with the MS Automatic Transmission and the A/T Overheat Light? Any recommendations on the transmission problem or the front end problem?
  • razor47razor47 Posts: 1
    My 1998 s[port, all of a sudden it starts racing like u put ur foot to the floor while ur driving. Almost killed someone. This is the second one that did this. PLEASE ANY HELP
  • I am currently in the market for an suv and very much like the way the montero sports look and drive. My problem is....everyone one I have looked at in this price range has a rear main seal leaking and some of them have transmission leaks. I am looking at vehicles between 1998 and 2001 4x4 with under 90,000 miles. I'm trying to find out if this is a common problem with these cars and what kind of nightmare it is to fix....Can anyone help??