Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero Sport

Comments

• csweenycsweeny Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Montero Sport, bought second hand, love it. The other day I forgot to turn off my headlights and drained the battery. I replaced the battery but still won't start. Have headlights. Also have a small red light to the left of steering wheel on the dash which continues to blinks. I called Mitsubishi service and they told me to have it tow in. Any ideas what it possible could be, have not had any problems with starter in the past.
    Thanks
  • kimmo1965kimmo1965 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there - We are having a problem getting the rear drums back on, the pads won't compress enough for the drum to go back on. Anyone have any words of wisdom...In the middle of the install, can't go any further.
    :confuse:
  • davido1davido1 Member Posts: 1
    You probably have the remains of a mouse nest in the vent system. If the car was parked for any length of time during the fall or winter, mice love to make nests in car heater ducts. One way to check is to put the heat o0n cold and set the fan to high. Bits of the nest material will break free and blow through into the car. Removing the parts of the ducting below the dashboard is fairly simple. Good Luck!
  • keywesterrkeywesterr Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get a response to your alarm reset issues??
    Just wondering since my 2002 MS doesn't "beep" any more when you lock it with the remote. "PINOY"; i'm from Zambales... take care

Aris
  • meksmeks Member Posts: 10
    I just got a 98 Montero Sport, it has 89,000 miles on it.
    recently when starting to move I hear a clanging noise which seem to be coming from my rear left wheel. It seems to stop when I hit the brakes but then continues when I start to accelerate.
    I checked the brake pads, they are fine, and nothing seems loose underneath......

Any ideas what it possible could be?????
  • das1310das1310 Member Posts: 1
    A couple nights ago the horn began sounding for no apparent reason - I pulled the fuse to disable it. I have read of this happening - bad relay? How can I fix this problem? Thanks
  • detngdetng Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    anybody replace a catalytic converter on a Montero Sport, I have a 2000 Limited, 93,000+ miles. Any service bulletins or warranty info appreciated, or is this a normal maintenance item? My wife's 92'Pathfinder hasn't needed one yet, has about 160,000 miles. Thanks.

Calvin
  • desertwolfdesertwolf Member Posts: 5
    Hello, I have the 2003 model and would like the change the fuel filter myself. Anyone knows what manual I should buy to guide me through. Thanks.
  • greenmitzgreenmitz Member Posts: 2
    hello there,

just did mine but at 70k. $1180 sounds just right if you go to a dealer. you dont have to. the timing belt alone is $800. anyway i went to another shop and paid $1000 which includes timing belt repl, water pump repl, major tune up plus i had them replace valve cover gasket. from experience they start go go bad at 80k so might as well.
  • greenmitzgreenmitz Member Posts: 2
    hi,

thats normal. i have the same issue with my 2000 sport ls and my last montero 1989 2 door. its even worse with the 2 door because its a manual shift. i warm up the car for about three to five mins then its ok. it has to be the cold because it does not happen during warmer weather.

greenmitz
  • oilyoneoilyone Member Posts: 5
    Hi, new guy in the forum. Bought a 2001 XLS Sport 4WD, LSD, 3.0L with 28K in May 2005. Wife loved it from the first time she saw it and is crazy about driving it. Just took it on 2200 mile trip from SouthEastern AZ to San Antonio & Back. At 75 mph/3100 rpm, going east, averaged 21.6 mpg. Going west on the return with 45 mph head wind, about 16.5 mpg. Solid at 19.5 in town. Presently has Amsoil 5W30 in engine and am slowly doing the axles, tranny, LSD transaxle and drive with Amsoil synthetics. Hope to get up to 24 mpg after I'm done. Now has 36K on it. No problems so far but I am watching the tranny and front end carefully. I have also experienced the blinking 4WD and ABS lights when trying to switch into and out of 4WD. Not sure I have ever actually been in 4WD. Any more info on this problem out there? Still love the Sport and hope to keep it a long time. :D
  • chasengreenchasengreen Member Posts: 3
    get the LS meaning lux-sport, ES is bottom line,I travel and I have a montero sport LS with 130,000 miles already.
    But note,the ES and LS both have a 3.0 liter strogiling V6 165hp,188tq meaning not the fastest suv on the road. ;)
  • scorpneoscorpneo Member Posts: 1
    The Anti Lock Braking light turns on on my Mitsubishi Montero Sport 2000 XLS when I use the 4WD gear. I typically drive only on 2WD, and use 4WD in winter only. THe past couple of years, I did not have to use 4WD at all, but yesterday when I decided to use it I had some issues. First, the 4WD indicator did not come up for a while, when I put it in the 4WD gear. I drove around for a little while and then the indicator started lighting up partially and soon it came on steady. Then, I made a stop and then started again without changing the 4WD drive. Now, though, the 4WD indicator came up, but also the Anti Lock Braking light came on and stayed. When I disengage the 4WD gear and go back to the 2WD gear, the Anti Lock Braking light goes off...

I was wondering if any of you have had a similar problem or have an idea about what is going on. I had tires and brakes replaced on my car last year and it has about 65000 miles on it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scorpneo
  • trdealtrdeal Member Posts: 1
    I need to replace the power steering pump on a 2000 montereo sport, 3.0 liter. any advice?
  • talftalf Member Posts: 1
    Anybody know where I could find a copy of the manufacturer recommended service miles and times for the montero sport. I have a 2000 Montero Sport and would like to know if the shop I go to is following the recommended mileage or they are just trying to jack me around. Anyways please drop me a line and let me know if I can find one online somewhere. Thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    This what you're looking for: Maintenance Schedule

tidester, host
  • xenomorffxenomorff Member Posts: 1
    I need to replace my rear passenger fender flair and I am having trouble locating one.
  • shawnharpershawnharper Member Posts: 1
    Wondering if you ever got this resolved and if so, what the answer was. Mine (1995 Montero 3.0) started doing the same thing this AM. Battery/voltage indicator looks normal, so I'm doubting it's alternator-related. I do need new rear brake pads, however...

Thanks,
    Shawn
  • sfseansfsean Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2001 Sport XLS 4 wd 117,000 miles.Today I started truck no proble,I drove down the street came to a stop and it stalled.Started up again came to stop stalled again.Could this be the fuel pump.No engine lights or any other trouble indicators ?Any ideas before I take it to the dealer ? :sick:

Also the interior lights do not work I checked what I thought was the fuse and it was fine ..any help would be appreciated..
  • rufus12rufus12 Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 2001 Sport XLS 4WD. It has 75,000 miles. I have had a similar problem and was wondering if you had any luck finding out what is causing the stalling or if anyone has any suggestions.
    My truck has stalled approximately 10 times over the last year. Most of the times it stalled when I was driving under 40 mph but it has also happened when I have pulled away from a stop sign. I am able to start the car up after a minute or two.
    I have taken it to my mechanic and the Mitsubishi dealership. Both could not figure out what the problem was. They said that anything that would cause it to stall, would make it so you couldn't start the vehicle again.
    My mechanic replaced the fuel injection relay and it hasn't stalled for the past 6 months but the problem just came back.
    Sorry this was long, I wanted to give the whole picture. Any Ideas????????
    I took off the air tube and cleaned out the throttle body and replaced all the belts.The IAC may be bad(189.00) Try the throttle body cleaning itll cost you 4.00 for the throttle body cleaner..
  • cananocanano Member Posts: 2
    How's it going. I am looking for feedback on the late model Montero Sport, specifically the 1988 two door. I am considering a purchase of this 88, with 71,000 original miles on it, clean SUV. But I know nothing about this SUV. I appreciate all feedback
  • cananocanano Member Posts: 2
    can anyone refer me to a source to get feedback on the 1988 Montero Sport?
    can anyone refer me to a source to get feedback on the 1988 Montero Sport?

Yes. You are here. :)

tidester, host
  • va_dwellerva_dweller Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 XLS 2WD Montero Sport with and when I excelerate I get a hesitation, small surege and hesitation again before it begins to excelerate. I though it might have been the fuel filter so I had it changed but I still have the problem. Has anyone seen this or have any ideas what I should look at next.
  • lagulagu Member Posts: 3
    Should I buy a 1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4X2 with 128,000 miles for $5,500? Looks to be in good shape. How long do they usually last? Please let me know.

Thanks

Sergio
  • rufus12rufus12 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the suggestions. Hopefully I can get this mystery problem fixed.
  • combattrackercombattracker Member Posts: 2
    Bet you have not had your oxygen sensors replaced. Mitsubishi says 60k, but they start to go typically at 45k and you wnould first notice a little less gas mileage or the slight odor of gas once in a while while starting.
  • combattrackercombattracker Member Posts: 2
    See my response to 797. Probably your oxygen sensors have failed. Supposed to change them at 60k but they usually start faining at 45 k.
    they dont look like fun to get to either !!!
  • tripwesttripwest Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 Montero sport and I have replaced the alternator 3 times in the past 18 months. I now have the same indicators lighting up (battery, brake) that I had when the alternator went out previously. I just replaced this last one a month ago. I have a new (6 months) battery What can be causing this?
  • sortacrazysortacrazy Member Posts: 3
    labbe,

Did you ever come across a viable fix for your constant brake light on problem. I'm interested in the fix as well for my 1999 Montero. I thought the problem would be with a maladjusted parking brake lever switch but when that didn't make the light go off I was stumped.

I bought the vehicle this way but knew it wasn't a real problem. It is distracting though so I just wanted to know if you ever got an answer for this issue. Thanks.
  • kellerjkkellerjk Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on my 2001. 3 mechanics later, including a dealer, they cannot see anything wrong with the brakes or wheels. Let me know if you have had better luck.
  • scobaxscobax Member Posts: 1
    I have had a 1999 Montero Sport for almost 2 years now, its a real piece. About 4 months after I bought it I started having problems with the electrical system, then the following winter I had problems with the transmission. Currently it is sitting in my driveway not working. I had a stereo system taken out of it, and ever since that was done it hasnt started. The battery is fine (I had it tested), it stays charged. It will not even try to turn over. Ive checked the fuses and the look fine. I dont know if the relay to the starter is blown or what. Any advice??? I really need to get it fixed so I can get rid of it.
  • ajames58ajames58 Member Posts: 2
    I just got my Montero Sport out of shop for the same reason with 58000 miles on it. They thought that they resolved the problem, but got almost home, and Transmission started to act like it was going into neutral, this only seems to happen when going into overdrive. What did they replace on yours to resolve the problem. I am about to get rid of this thing if I can't get resoled soon.
    Thank you
  • mitmontero11mitmontero11 Member Posts: 1
    i know maybe someone here has had this problem. My 2000 montero sport has a dash light flashing everytime i drive it.... i think it pertains to the 2x4....4x4 switch.....even when I have it on 2x4 the light flashes up with an anti-lock solid light right below it.....can someone tell me what I can do to take this off....thank you
  • fleetwoodfleetwood Member Posts: 2
    I just noticed your message. Did you get rid or your Montero Sport? If not, they repalced the valve body on my transmission at approximately 36k miles. I am now at 52K and having all the same problems again. I am planning on getting rid of
    mine as well but have to hold on for another year.
  • mossimo98mossimo98 Member Posts: 1
    Lloyds,
    I am having the exact same problem with my 2000 Sport. Was the dealer ever able to diagnose the problem?
  • ajames58ajames58 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I did get rid of the 2003 Montero Sport, Bought a Ford F-150 4wd. Couldn't take the chance that they couldn't fix Montero Sport. Let someone else deal with it. I babied that vehicle, Talked to Service Advisor at Mitsubiti dealer and he stated that he couldn't guarentee, that problem wouldn't come,back, so we traded it while it was under 60k mile warranty. It really sucks, because the thing was paid off, and wanted to keep it for a while and not to have any payments for awhile. Never again will I purchase Mitsubiti. They won't be in business very long. From what I hear they are really hurting, what a shame. Good luck, and trade soon!!! By the way 59950 miles and got $9500.
  • youngjason8youngjason8 Member Posts: 2
    hey people i've been looking for a site for a long time where i can get questions answered about a mitsubishi montero sport. im 18 yrs old so im gonna have a lot of questions. i wanted to know what kind of parts could i buy for a montero sport to increase the car's peformance. it can be anything. i just dont know where to start. can u guys help me out.
  • youngjason8youngjason8 Member Posts: 2
    hey i forgot to say that its a 2000 XLS 4wd
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Mitsubishi Montero/Montero Sport
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • krcarskrcars Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm new to forum. Am looking for a reliable used car and love the way the M.S. looks. Have read a lot of bad things about '00,'01 but nothing, really good or bad about '02. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Am looking at XLS 4x4, leather seats, 3.5 liter V6. It has 39,000 miles on it. Thanks to everyone.
  • athena3athena3 Member Posts: 1
    The battery in my Montero Sport has just been replaced and now my car radio no longer plays. Apparently, radio requires a "code/password" (which I do not have). The dealer has informed me that they must remove the radio to find the password to reactivate radio. My question, is -- isn't there a simpler way (less costly) to locate password? In June I shelled out $1,465 for a 60,000 mile check up (which was quite a shock, considering the car ran beautifully) -- so I'm trying to save all I can. Thank you.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The person who replaced your battery should have plugged a 9 volt battery gizmo into the cigarette lighter/power post. That would have saved all your settings while the battery was being switched.

Usually you have to take the radio out to get the serial number, and then the dealer (or places on the internet) will give you the code for that radio. You may be able to just ease the frame around the radio off with a butter knife and see the sticker on the radio with the serial number.

Sometimes you can find the code in the owner's manual or on cards that came with the card. It should be a four digit number.

Many dealers will give you the code for free if you tell them the radio serial number and the VIN of the car; if yours won't ask to speak to the manager (mention the price you paid for your last service!) or try another Mitsu dealer.

btw, the Edmunds Maintenance Guide says that a 60,000 service should cost about $732. You may want to ask the dealer what else they did to justify the extra cost or visit your local consumer protection agency and complain.

Good luck!
  • sexyvysexyvy Member Posts: 5
    i had the same problem and i called around looked on the net and even purchased the unlock from ebay to no avail finally i called a local dealer and he said the same thing, get the number off the radio -so what i did was go down to the truck with a butter knife, pop off the trim then i looked inside and low and behold there was the serial number right in front i didnt have to pull the radio out or anything - i jotted the number down popped the trim back on and called the dealer back with the number he looked it up in the computer and gave me two codes then he told me to leave the truck turned on auxillary for 1 hr and the radio will come on once that happens to enter the code and i t worked like a charm.... i called several different dealers before i got someone who was nice enough to give me the info for free he said if i brought the car in it would be 75.00 to do this ....
  • john167john167 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone, I recently purchased a used 2002 Montero Sport XLS 4x4 with the 3.5L engine with 46000 miles. When I start the vehicle on cold mornings I get a loud rattle sound comming from the engine. The sound stops after about a minute and I do not here it again until the next cold morning start. It seems to happen most when below 40 degrees overnight. Does anyone have an idea what this might be. I have heard fuel pumps make noise when cold but not like this. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
    John
  • nbarnes2nbarnes2 Member Posts: 1
    Bigeasyal,
    I have a quick question regarding the A/T Mode button. Whenever I push this button a light on my instrument panel appears and it says "hold" how do I make the All terrain mode engage?