Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero Sport

Comments

• moose74moose74 Member Posts: 2
    any word on this yet?
  • amadesianamadesian Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I just purchased a 99 Montero Sport Limited. The battery was bad so I replaced it. When I connect the new battery, the alarm goes off and it won't start. I don't know if the vehicle has remote keyless entry as all I have is a single key for the door locks and ignition. How do I stop the alarm from sounding, and how do I start the vehicle?

Any help is appreciated.
  • ruddneckruddneck Member Posts: 23
    The check engine light came on my 2001 Montero Sport. I borrowed an OBD II from AutoZone and the code I retrieved was PO 421 Warm Up Catalyst Below Threshold (Bank 1). I'm guessing this is an issue with the catalytic converter and that it'll need to be replaced in the near future, but does anyone have any experience with this error code? Thanks!
  • arnieb1031arnieb1031 Member Posts: 5
    :( As in Other Posts about Anti Lock Braking light turning on and going out after i turn the engine off and on>>> on my Mitsubishi Montero Sport 2001XLS when I use the 4WD gear. After driving in 4WD for a short period during the summer. The past couple of years, I did not have to use 4WD at all, but the other day when I decided to use it I had some issues. First, I drove around for a little while and then the indicator started lighting up partially and soon it came on flashing and when out. Then, I made a stop and then started again without changing the 4WD drive. Now, though, the 4WD indicator came up,continues to flash. but also the Anti Lock Braking light came on and stayed. When I disengage the 4WD gear and go back to the 2WD gear, the Anti Lock Braking light goes off... :sick:

I was wondering ??? i've seen the similar problem that other people are having. DO you or anyone have an idea about what is going on. I had tires and brakes replaced on my SUV , But still have the problem.... HELP

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • randy10589randy10589 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Montero Sport. When I goto start it the horn goes off. I found a blown fuse in a fuse holder by the fuse box on the drivers side. I have no idea what the fuse is for. I think that it was a 10amp. I can turn off the car and then I have to push the panic button to shut it off. The car runs fine but I did have to pull the fuse for the horn. This is eriving me crazy. I did send away for the shop manual but still cannot find the fuse.
  • dealingbob1dealingbob1 Member Posts: 13
    The AC on 2000 Montero Sport LS squeaks when it is turned on?

Any ideas?

How difficult is it to replace a AC unit on this SUV?

Thanks
  • jakenbake10jakenbake10 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2002 Montero XLS Sport. 71,000K. Clean as a whistle & looks to be in prime condition. On first start of the day or after sitting for 2 to 3 hrs it is a little clattery and has a bit of winding noise at low speed. Both sounds go away within a minute or less. Fluids are topped off & outside temperature is not low. Since I am new to Mitsubishi's and want to catch any problems before they get serious, I would appreciate feedback from others on what their Montys sound like at first start.
  • mitsdriverinmomitsdriverinmo Member Posts: 1
    My Montero does the same thing. When I took it to Mitsubishi, they told me it was the fan. Apparently it's because of the way the timing is set on it. I was also told it wouldn't be worth fixing considering it wouldn't do any damage to the car...
  • ed6544ed6544 Member Posts: 6
    hi everyone. need help on an 02 xls whose side view mirrors have quit working with the electric control. any help is appreciated. thanks.
  • ltdmontero99ltdmontero99 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1999 Montero Sport - Same problem - Battery/Brake light comes on intermittently.
    This happened 2 months ago and my battery exploded. I called AAA. They checked everything, told me the battery was bad and so was the alternator. They took me to NTB to get it fixed. NTB says only battery was bad and so it exploded, and they replaced it. They did not find anything wrong with alternator. They said they tested it, and it works fine.

No lights for a few months. Now the lights are coming back on. When I rev the engine to 6000RPM + the sensor lights go off, then if the RPMs go below 3000, the lights come back on. Sometimes the ilghts wont come on for a few weeks, but then back at it...

Its going to be winter and I dont want to be stranded with kids. NOW... I have the car at Firestone. Waiting for results...
    Will keep posted. :sick:
    All firestone could find was a loose wing nut connector to the battery terminal. They replaced this, and sent me on my way - we'll see if the Brake/Battery light comes back to haunt me.

Luckily they warranty their 'work' ($30) fee for 12 months from today incase this comes back.

Thats it for now

I know its tough to maintain a 10/12 yr old vehicle... but at the end of the day... it sure beats a $30,000 bill for a new 'problem free'
    alternative.
    Best regards and GOOD LUCK everyone ! ;) :shades:
  • singlemomof2singlemomof2 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 montero sport. it has about 125k miles. it has a oil leak i can't remeber where it's coming from but about a week ago it started to over heat so i thought thermostat. well now the temp is staying about normal and just this past weekend i lost my headlights but still have dash lights as that happend my wipers went off all by themselves. also my car doesn't always start so i took the neg cable off and the car still ran. i'm just wondering if anyone else has had these problems or can direct me in some kind of direction.
  • tammys1tammys1 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem. When I put the truck into 4wd the anti-lock light will come on in a few minutes and my 4WD light flickers in and out. Did you ever find out what the issue was and did you have it fixed?
    Well... The alternator was BAD... $600 later I am now free of the battery/brake light issues. Everything back to good...for now.

:shades:
  • cubbofancubbofan Member Posts: 4
    Some what of a simple question How do you shift a 97 montero sport to 4 hi do you have to switch to neutral or can you shift on the fly under 30 mph? Any help would be appreciated?
    I went thru the same problem . and it turned out to be tied to the transmission some how.....
    I have a 2001 with 135,000+ miles on it.
    But my Boy (as i call him) is still running like a champ i mean a CHAMP..

there is a on going minor problem with the front end....feels like he likes to jump around while driving..... other people said its alinement needs to be checked sum say has to do with the A frame..... I personally dont feel the problem .... but maybe i'm acustomed to it......

ArnieB
    I went thru the same problem . and it turned out to be tied to the transmission some how.....
    I have a 2001 with 135,000+ miles on it.
    But my Boy (as i call him) is still running like a champ i mean a CHAMP..

ArnieB
    I have a XLS and i had almost the same problem.... But now i dont even have a horn.
    one early morning approx am my alarm went off as to wake the whole block up :)

had to pull the fuse and i put it back in later that morning the horn started up again ..then it stopped.....a few hours later it happened again so i pulled the fuse,,,,,,
    at one point when i turned the steering wheel it would go off........then on so for the last year and a half NO HORN...
    :( Does anyone know where the fuse is for the accessory plug located on the right side (pass. Side) in the Cargo area?
    :confuse:
  • callendercallender Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Mitsubishi Sport has been making a strange sound for some time. It's a scratchy/tinty sound that sounds like it's coming from under the front passenger tire.

Thought initially it was a tire problem, so we replaced the rotors with no improvement.

They we figured you can still hear the noise when the car is in park and you press on the gas.

:(
  • schelinschelin Member Posts: 1
    99 Montero Sport Limited with leather heated seats. Switches light up on both sides but no heat. Connections look to be in place and tight. Any suggestions? Seats are in perfect condition so I doubt abuse is the culprit. Are the seats on a dedicated fuse under the dash or hood. Book shows a fuse connection for everything BUT the heated seats.
  • hardwickdmh1hardwickdmh1 Member Posts: 1
    My 1998 Sport has a problem with the alarm. It seems to be draining the battery. I have had the battery and the alternator checked and they check good. I would like to remove the alarm from the system but have no idea how to remove it. I did read a post that said if I pull the fuse the Sport will not start. Any ideas or directions as to how to do this?
  • likeyou_31likeyou_31 Member Posts: 1
    :cry: My mom bought her montero sport in September 2008 and since then has been repaired and replaced of the following parts: 1) airconditioning unit on the 7th month; and 2) suction valve on the 1st year. However, two weeks after the replacement of the suction valve, the car still experienced low power and now the steering wheel seems to be unusually tight. according to the dealer there's a computer problem. any of you experienced these problems with your cars? is this a major problem? you think these problems would warrant a replacement since the vehicle clearly has some issues, with only 11k in mileage. help....
  • errolgerrolg Member Posts: 1
    You only need to slow the vehicle to about 5 mph and shiff from 2 to 4 wheel high.
  • busdriver9busdriver9 Member Posts: 3
    we have a 2003 LS...we bought it less than a year old with the same noise issue. I have found if you start it for a couple min before you take off, it does the trick. Just a tip... full synthetic oil makes an unbelievable difference! Just make sure if you switch over that you do a couple synthetic blends first. Good luck!
  • wmd_15wmd_15 Member Posts: 1
    If it is not in the normal fuse box, Pull the lower part of the dash off and check the fuse on the left under there!
  • oriontomoriontom Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 montero sport has a dash light flashing everytime i drive it ( looks like undercariage).... My 4x4 light indicates it is ingaged even when I have it on 2x4 the light still flashes and anti-lock solid light right below it.....can someone tell me what this could mean, or how to fix.
  • amarshall101amarshall101 Member Posts: 1
    Hell Mr. Harwick. Did you ever figure this out? Having the same problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
  • bfondbfond Member Posts: 1
    I have burned through 4 alternators in my vehicle in 8 months. This is getting be be quite the aggrivation. Anybody have any ideas has to why?
    I went through 1 (stopped after 4 months) and the 2nd has been in place for 2 months. Its working fine for now *crossing fingers*... I think its more with the alternatoe than your car - do you have modifications to the electronics?
  • mike486mike486 Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2010
    The reason these Montero's go through alternators is because the right side front cam seal leaks oil, which then ends up on (and in) the alternator. This is the seal where the camshaft sticks out of the cylinder head, behind the drive sprocket. The oil soaks the brushes and slip rings, which will eventually ruin them.

The fix is to replace the front cam seal. The seal is only $6, but the timing belt needs to come off. If you are due for a timing belt (every 90k miles, IIRC), then change both front cam seals.

Other common leak areas are valve cover gaskets and the rear cam o-rings (at the back of the cylinder heads). However, the right front cam seal is the culprit for contamination of the alternator.
    Changing plugs is not the easiest thing to do as the upper intake manifold needs to come off. If you look around at this website, there is a tutorial.

http://www.monterosportonline.com/
  • terry103terry103 Member Posts: 1
    I,m reading that the xls has rwd, Is that rwd only or does it have an all wheel drive function?

Terry A
    The Montero Sport was available as 2wd or "all wheel drive". If you have a Montero that has a transfer case shifter next to the auto trans shifter, then it is "all wheel drive".
  • libby47libby47 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for the DETAILED info on this issue. Lots of people have posted vague information as to what the problem is, but yours is the first that has some details I can give to my mechanic. Ours is an 01 Montero Sport, but from what I'm reading, this seems to be a common problem in this vehicle. One shop quoted us $1000 this week to replace all the seals and the timing belt, which we thought was a bit too high. So, we'll have the right side front cam seal fixed and go from there. Anything is cheaper than buying a new car!
  • trayinsctrayinsc Member Posts: 1
    My husband just replaced all the belts on our 2000 Montero Sport. Everything was working fine, but about 2 weeks later the AC belt is loose and won't turn the compressor. He tightened it and about 2 weeks later it has done it again. Are we going to have to do this every 2 weeks or so? HELP it is 98 degrees here I need my AC!
    There is something else wrong. Either he is not doing it right, something is loose, or something is wrong with the compressor.

The belt adjustment is easy, the idler pulley has a jack screw to move it. However, the center nut of the idler pulley must be loosened first, otherwise the pulley will not move.
  • dutch135dutch135 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I can't get my after-market replacement antenna mast to go into the antenna base.

I followed the instructions, which for me required accessing the antenna motor, opening it, and cleaning out the broken pieces of the plastic re-tractor. After putting it all back together, minus the replacement mast, the motor ran fine. I turned off the radio and fed the re-tractor on the replacement antenna mast into the antenna base. It caught the re-tractor and pulled it in just fine, until the the base of new mast hit the antenna base. At the base of the new mast there's a black plastic piece about 1/16" high, and that's stopping the new mast from retracting all the way down. I tried pushing it down, but it isn't budging.

I compared the new mast to the old mast and both have the same size black plastic piece in the same place. I called the tech hotline for the company that sold the after-market mast. He tried telling me the problem was the metal sleeve until I explained what was happening. Then he said he'd send me a brand new part, exactly the same, and that he didn't know why it wouldn't go down.

How do I get the mast into the base?
  • joseph54joseph54 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2007 Mitsubishi Nativa, which is basically the same as the Montero Sport but made for the Latin American market. I bought the car in Peru.

I lost the only key to the car while in a small mountain town. I had a duplicate of the original but it doesn't work because its not programmed and not original Mitsubishi. I bought a new original key from the Mitsubishi dealership in Lima and used the old key to duplicate the teeth.

Then I had some non-Mitsubishi technicians try to program the key for me but they couldn't get it to work. I think that may have been a big mistake because they didn't have the right software to work on my car...

I ended up getting Mitsubishi technicians from the nearest city to come afterward and try and program the key, but they couldn't program the key either. Their programming software comes up with an immobilizer error.

So I think that the car may have immobilized itself because the first technicians messed around with the system with the wrong programming software. The Mitsubishi technicians told me that the car needs a new immobilizer but at this point I am not sure if they know what they are doing.

Does anyone know if the car needs a new immobilizer in this situation, or is there another solution?
  • candicraincandicrain Member Posts: 1
    We are having the same problem, we are on our 6th belt and can not figure out what is going on. Have you had any luck?
  • nilevincentnilevincent Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to obtain the rear/side NATIVA nameplate for my 1999 Mit Montero Sport. I have seen them in the Caribbean and would like to get one for here in New Jersey. ANY IDEAS
  • marqueemarquee Member Posts: 1
    Anybody here know what Hub Center Bore dimension is for MS 2011?
  • franz3franz3 Member Posts: 1
    Have the alternator output checked. Mine was acting very similar. The issue was that the alternator was not giving full output. Also monteros are bad about leaking oil into the alternators.
  • alln7220alln7220 Member Posts: 1
    My horn still works for my alarm on my 2003 montero sport but it wont work at the steering wheel. How do I fix this?
  • jerryconnersjerryconners Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem.....it is located on the passenger side of the radiator. DO NOT LOOK AROUND THE WHEEL WELLS......it is up front by the radiator. You will see a white cap...thats it! So look up front for a cap about the size of a plastic gallon milk jug! There ya go!!!
  • jerryconnersjerryconners Member Posts: 2
    Our's does the same thing. It means you are having an issue with your 4x4. Out 4x4 still works so until it stops working........no biggy. Our anti-lock light comes on once in a great while but never comes on much or very long. Once again, just a notifcation that may suggest the anti-lock feature may be malfunctioning due to some reason. You may want to take it to a garage.......$50 an hour for electrical issues........just spells "MONEY NOT WELL SPENT"
  • montero99montero99 Member Posts: 2
    When I am driving at a steady 25-40 the RPMs go up and down. Not alot maybe a couple hundred RPMs but still enough to be annoying. Any thoughts on what might cause this?
  • montero99montero99 Member Posts: 2
    Jerry.. A couple folks were talking about the 4x4 and anti lock lights flashing on here a couple forums down..they say it was a quick and cheap fix..I am going to try it out tomorrow..take a look maybe it will help you..
  • jbrown639jbrown639 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 montero sport 3.0l engine. I got it from some friends of mine and it doesn't run. I'm wondering if they have a zero clearance head. Its locked up and i thought i could just pit timing belts on it or do ya think valves are bent. They said it was running fine when they turned it off. When they came out of the store it wouldn't start. they towed it home and did nothing with it. I'm thinking the easiest thing to do is just to replace the motor but it might be cheaper to change timing belts. If anyone can help me out with that, would be cool.
  • 932932 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012