Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Fog Lights

keithg1keithg1 Member Posts: 1
edited September 2014 in Ford
We have a 2006 Ford Escape that did not come with fog lights. The vehicle appears to have all of the wiring necessary to just plug into the factory components, ie. Switch, relay and lights. After installing the Ford factory lights, switch and relay, the lights still do not come on. I know they only work when the headlights are on, so we do have the headlights on when trying to turn on the fog lights. Does anyone know if we are still missing something. The local ford dealer says we have everything needed. I can jump the relay and the fog lights come on. The problem appears to be between the switch and the relay. Thanks.

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may also want to try Fog Lights or Ford Escape.

tidester, host
  • escapenutescapenut Member Posts: 117
    Fwiw, my '01 Escape XLT has fog-lights, however the circuitry is set-up so that they do not operate unless the headlamps are on. This is way it was wired from the factory. Not sure if the Ford engineers changed anything
    from '01 to '06 for lighting overrides or not. I know in other vehicles the fog-lamps can operate separately from
    the headlamps. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me why Ford set it up this way. I'm not complaining too much, it's been a pretty vehicle so far even w/o this amenity. :)
  • bimpy46307bimpy46307 Member Posts: 1
    :) Hello,

I'm no mechanic but I do sell Fords so just so you know the fogs only work when the headlights are on and set on dim. Ford sets it up that way so people aren't driving around with just their fog lights on, (You don't want that ticket) and so you don't blind people with your brights and fogs on at the same time.

Thanks
    Jim
  • richardlcooperrichardlcooper Member Posts: 2
    Keith, did you ever resolve this issue? I am having the exact same problem... Thanks.
  • ewilkersonewilkerson Member Posts: 2
    I too am having the same problem with a 2006 Mazda Tribute. I removed the cover where the fog light power switch would have been installed and I discovered what appears to be a switch that is missing/needs the push button??? I'm thinking that I may need to order the push button from the dealership. Knowing the dealership prices the button will cost me more than the fog lights. LOL!
  • richardlcooperrichardlcooper Member Posts: 2
    After obtaining the wiring diagram, it appears that the "Programmable Junction Box" (PJB) need to be programmed by FORD for the fog lights to work. Everything else is installed but the lights do not work. For these kinds of reasons, this is probably the last time I will purchase a Ford...
  • ewilkersonewilkerson Member Posts: 2
    I took my Tribute in to be serviced and told about my fog light problem. I also mentioned that they probably didn't work because the PJB needed to be programmed. They told that there was no such thing and that all I needed was the on/off (toggle) switch. I ordered the switch it was about 17 dollars no big deal. I installed the switch...fog lights still do not work. I took the truck back in and a week later I got my truck back. They had to order some additional part that was on back order. I'm sorry but I forgot to look at the invoice for the part number. I'll update this post with the part number at a later time. The only reason I didn't get upset was because the part was covered under warranty and my dealer supplied me with a loaner vehicle free of charge...maybe not free because I'm pretty sure that I over paid on the extended coverage that I purchased with my new vehicle.
  • stormcoderstormcoder Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a new 2006 Mazda Tribute i model, and I am just curious about the fog light switch that you bought for your Tribute and additional part(s) for fog lights installation.

It would be a great help for me in the future if I or anyone else decided to install the fog lights by oneself.
  • fredm3fredm3 Member Posts: 1
    I have just ordered a 2007 XLS Escape and had the same idea you did. After reading your post I contacted Dale Jarrett Ford and inquired about this procedure. Mechanically it appears to be straight forward. The problem is that DOT requires that the fog lamps not be operational when the high beams are on so that requires the signal to be controlled by the body control module. Each model of the Escape, the XLS, XLT and Limited has a different software load. Apparantly one of the mechanics at Dale Jarrett tried to do this very upgrade to his daughter's XLS and when he reprogrammed the fog lamps to come on he messed up the turn signals and several other things. It took him a couple of weeks to get the car back to it's original condition. They had also attempted to add fog lamps to a Mustang GT and ran into the same problem.

The problem is not insurmountable but it is not quite as clean as just plugging the components in. The solution is to simply run new wires from the switch to the relay. Heh, for us purists it's not the best solution but it works. Good luck.
  • cmgjcmgj Member Posts: 4
    Anyone got an answer for parts or anything needed for a 2006 Mazda Tribute adding Fog Lights?
  • kenny2469kenny2469 Member Posts: 9
    Can you post a little more on how to do this?? which wires from the switch to the relay, where is the relay, etc.... I recently bought a 2006 Escape, bought the switch from Ford, it lights up, but no power to the driving lights. I'am experienced in electronics and am comfortable with cutting, splicing, etc.. Just would like to know what wires i'am to mess with.. Thanks......
    I have the same problem with my 2006 Mazda Tribute. Ok, here is what I am doing. I got the fog lights...and the dash switch installed and hooked up. No turning on. Now I am going in to the dealer and they are going to program the BCM to operate the Fog Lights. I will post when I find out more...
    Doing a little more playing around with this problem, i called a dealer and he said i may just need a fuse & relay. I opened up the manual to find out where these need to go and find that the fuse & relay is already present. When I take out the relay and jump the connections together, I get power to the driving lights and the LED light on the switch comes on, but cant control it with the switch. Always on, until I take the jumper wire off. So Im thinking that all this talk about programming is factual information as there is power to the switch, power to the relay through the fuse (under the hood), and I did a check with the positive leads from the driving light plug and it is connected to the relay, ground is grounded, so that is the only explanation I can think of, unless it is a relay problem. So I await your outcome, and to know if the dealer charged you for tinkering with the computer.

Funny thing is, I went into my local Ford dealer and they knew nothing, said the computer doesnt control those lights and told me it is "simple electronics 101"... I phoned two other dealers who both said its "plug & play" type additions, the 4th told me about the relay & fuses, and the 5th just brushed me off unless i wanted to make a service appointment.
    Good to know....I have an appointment on Tuesday...my LED will not come on at all...
    There was a fuse in the inside and a fuse and relay in the engine compartment...mine have all the fuses and relay... I looked at the wiring diagram at the service department, and it IS controlled by the BCM. If you LED is coming on when you push the button, and off when you push it again, then I would check if the fuses are all there...
    The LED only comes on when I pull out the relay and put a jumper across to make the lights turn on, otherwise it is just the little light icon that stays lit up when the lights come on.

An update though, my service rep at the dealer I bought it from contacted me after doing some research, he confirmed that it is controlled by the computer and is a simple job, he said it is a simple job, cost me $47.50 for their labour. So Im going to make an appt for next week, I will let you all know the outcome.......
  • josie88josie88 Member Posts: 3
    I have no dash lights, no running lights, and no tail lights. I have turn signals and 4-ways. I have checked all the bulbs, and all the fuses, put in a new switch on the dash. No luck. Can any one help me with this problem?
    That is definately a weird problem..... Short of going to a repair shop, what I would do is get a volt meter and see if you can trace where the power is cut off. Firstly I'd check the fuse to see if there is power going there, then the switch. Some vehicles also have a fuse panel under the hood, may want to check there also. Any aftermarket additions?? alarm, stereo etc.... that may have had a wire tapped into?
  • josie88josie88 Member Posts: 3
    Thanx for the reply! I have checked both the fuse boxes, and they are all good. There are no after market additions, all stock. Im just baffled at this one. But i will get a volt meter and check things out! Thanx again.
    OK, the appt was this morning, and now they work! Here is what it said:

C/S: PROGRAM CUSTOMERS FOGLAMPS TO WORK
    OWNER INSTALLED HIS OWN FACTORY FOGLAMPS
    RE-PROGRAMMED 'SMART' JUNCTION BOX

Yahoo!
    How much did they charge you for this???
  • theconsultanttheconsultant Member Posts: 4
    would you tell me what you had to get to make these work on the 06 escape I have bought the lights and the switch because i see the wiring is there already BUT the deales said I need supports for them BUT they look like I cut out the knock offs and there is 4 holes ther to fasten the lights to.
    Please help me
    regards
    The Consultant
    What I did was remove the front bumper completely, there are about a dozen screws & bolts to take out, was actually easier that I thought. I used a dremmel to cut out the holes as they are not knock-outs and are a part of the bumper (sucks). Then smooth out the area you just cut out, a dremmel (also known as a "rotary tool") is the best way. Those four holes ARE mounting holes for the lights but I found that there are two different sets of lights Ford used in the 06 escape. If your lights have the square bracket with the four holes in that match up they your set. Mine were different so I had to shave off those four mounting holes and the light bracket slipped over the lip on the inside. Once you have the lights mounted and plugged into the factory plugs they so conveniently left for you, and your nice new switch you bought for the dash, you will find that your lights will not come on, even though you have the little light icon light up on the new dash switch. What you need to do next is phone your local dealer and tell them you need your computer programmed to turn on the driving light feature, they will charge you to do this. I'am in Canada, they quoted me $47.50, which is a little less than half of the hourly shop rate. It did take me a while to find a dealer that knew what I was talking about (if you read my previous posts) so if you get one that doesnt know, ask them to speak to the service manager, he should know, and if that fails, phone another dealer.

I lucked out and know a friend that works at my local ford dealer who programmed them for free for me. But if you dont take it to a ford dealer, make sure the place you goto is reputable and that you get a receipt for your service because I read in some posts that it is a touchy thing and if they mess up in the computer then there can be other malfunctions, so you will want proof you took it there so it can be fixed. I'd get it done though at a dealer to be safe....

Hope this helped, and if you need more advise for removing the front bumper then let me know....

-Chris
    OK sounds like a good deal was it hard to take off the bumper I see a few screws under the front mabye can you direct me a little here. thanks
    Mike
    Its rather easy, once you get over the intimidation factor. Definately get yourself a nice big towel or drop cloth incase you drop the thing, dont want to scuff it. But I found it easier to start underneath and there are about 6 bolts to remove underneath, also remove the little plastic piece that dangles down (cant remember its name).

The next ones I removed are like plastic screws with a phillips head, unscrew them enough to get your fingers on it and pull them out, they are plastic. Once they are out you need to pull out the plastic tab that they push into. There are i believe two that are located in the opening just under the licence plate. Next ones are located in the wheel wells, i believe 3 on each side, you may have to remove a few of the screws around the top of the wheel well to get better access and also may have to turn the wheels to get your screw driver to them.

Now, for the tricky one. When you unscrewed the other screws above the wheel well, there is another one of those phillips head screw tab things you need to remove on the inner side of the bumper behind the three you just removed. I struggled with it, so be patient. You should be able to see the inside of the tab that the screw goes into, get a flathead screw driver and push out the screw from inside the tab, trying to unscrew it will get you very angry and consider smashing your headlights out, thats how frustrating those two are, (one on either side).

Finally you've got the bolts on top. Take off the bolts for the grill on top too, it comes off with the bumper. Make sure you have your towel or drop cloth down just incase you drop it. Find yourself a nice big space to put your bumper once its off, I have a nice large work bench in my garage. Put a towel or cloth there to while it sits.....

Sit it on your area with the front of the bumper facing you and whip out your dremmel (or "rotary tool") :-) and I used the cutting bit that has the sharp tapered point and proceeded to cut. Dont go too fast, want to be fairly accurate, but dont go too slow in one spot or your plastic will get very hot and may deform.

Keep handy a lighter/torch and a wire brush. As you cut away, the small bits of plastic melt around the bit and about every 2 inches you may have to take it out and get the bunched up melted plastic off, thats where the fire & wire brush come into play. Continue until you have a nice hole. Will be rough so you will want to smooth it out with one of the sanding bits or a file, whatever you have or want to use. Don't worry about the little pieces of melted plastic that are flying off and sticking to the bumper as they just flake off with your finger nail.

Next, the part you are waiting for, mount those lights, make sure they are in the correct way, yes it does make a difference, there should be markings, if not i believe the writing on the lens should be able to be read properly when all back together.

Get the bumper back to the truck, you may have to crouch down and rest it on your knees while you plug the lights in, mine didnt have enough wire to set it on the ground and plug them in. Get the bumper back in place and put a couple bolts back in the top and just go from there.
    OK thanks a million. I have been adding things to this truck since I got it. All that is left are the fog lights and clear taillights.
    regards
    Mike

PS what color is your escape
    Hey, anytime, glad to share what I know....... Mine is the Titanium Green... I've got a site posted at cardomain.com... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2387370 shows what I've done so far... Check it out...

-Chris
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I've got a site posted ...

I recommend setting one up at http://www.carspace.com :)

tidester, host
    Looks great I just set up a fast page for mine . I will add more later.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2465718/1
  • djolescapedjolescape Member Posts: 1
    Hi Chris,

Can you please elaborate how did you wire up the lights to the dash board. I managed to remove the bumper and I can see those factory installed wires to connect to. Where those wires appear in the cabin, where did you install a switch on the dashboard, does it require mounting off the dashboard, did you need to add any fuses or relays along the path?

I have 2002 Escape.

Best regards
    George
    Just to the left of the power mirror switch, there is a "blank" square insert, same size as the hazzard light and rear window defroster button. It is a blank, or "dummy" cover just to fill the space. Get a small flathead screwdriver and pop it out. Attached to the inside of that "blank" will be the plug that goes right into the actual switch that you need to buy, either from a dealer or scrap yard, just plug in and push it back in. You next need to goto your local dealer and get the computer programmed to enable the lights. The light icon will apear as soon as you plug it in, but dont be happy, they wont work til they get programmed.

Keep in mind, this is how it is on my 2006.....

Hope this helped.....
  • xx7111xx7111 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the fog lamp bulb P/N PS24WFF translates to a standard P/N such as H4 or 9145?
    Looking to replace the OEM bulbs with something such as Silverstar's.
  • quetellequetelle Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid and it looks like you have/had the same fog lights I do (PS24WFF) and you either found a bright bulb or found a way to install HID's from the looks of the pictures on your domain. If they are HID's, which bulb pattern did you use. Thanks. :surprise:
  • quetellequetelle Member Posts: 2
    it took me a while to figure out how to take the bulb out and it's no where close my friend.
  • kobsebkobseb Member Posts: 1
    PS24WFF is H16 or 9009.

H16 is a special bulb made for GM trucks and SUV. But since 2008 Ford use it on his truck and the Escape was the first.

You can buy it from www.putco.com or make a search on yahoo or google.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Hi, I have a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid and it looks like you have/had the same fog lights I do (PS24WFF) and you either found a bright bulb or found a way to install HID's from the looks of the pictures on your domain. If they are HID's, which bulb pattern did you use. Thanks."

I have a 2008 FEH with factory fog lights, and it uses a different switch than the ones described for the 2006 in this forum. My fog lights activate by the same rotating switch that works the headlights - you pull the switch out to turn on the fog lights.

I'm not sure if the stock switch has this capability, or if you can use a different switch, or if you would have to insert a new switch that is capable of fog light operations. But in any case it appears that the Ford dealer will need to program the SJB.
  • dolfan0118dolfan0118 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a Fog light switch after seeing the wires when replacing the headlight lens. So now I want to install them myself, so what is the final solution to getting them to work?
    Thanks.
  • whitey9whitey9 Member Posts: 138
    Saying you will not buy another Ford because the NOT factory installed lights will not work after you add them yourself is the dumbest thing I have heard all day. But it is still early. You should have done your homework. Take some personal responsibility. Lick your wounds and move on. Get the fog lights "programmed in" and then appreciate the job you have done.
  • relmersrelmers Member Posts: 1
    In 2006, I bought a new Ford Escape (Hybrid) and have always wanted the fog lamps to automatically come on when the headlights are turned on. Does anyone know if it is possible to have the fog lamps programmed to operate as they do now, but just turning on automatically and being on whenever the headlights are on?
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    I have a 2004 Limited and as long as the foglamp switch is turned on, they will always come on automatically when the headlamps come on.
This discussion has been closed.