Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Grand Vitara (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• mopar67mopar67 Posts: 728
    I am sure we all have interesting comments and opinions to offer, so don't be shy!
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Posts: 338
    Go to the XL-7 board. It was discussed there.
  • frankno1frankno1 Posts: 68
    First two tanks of gas city and country driving of my vitara the #1 refill 24.6mpg the second tank it was 25.4 mpg and this is the 2.0L engine and not even broken in yet. Hope this keeps up.
    I had a 1.6L 16V before this one and averaged 25mpg. Haven't seen much power difference between the 1.6 and 2.0. Probably after breakin I will notice a difference.
    Cheers
    Frankk
    I'm running just about the same on my hamster. 1600 miles on her and it still keeps a buzzing along.
    Given the fact it runs pretty hard at highway speeds and based on prior experience, I am going with mobil 1 on the next oil change.
    HOpe yours holds up well.
    How many miles should you have on the engine before you can change to Mobil 1. The engine has a timing chain instead of a timing belt and if properly cared for (2.0L 4 banger) ought to go for at least 200k miles.

Cheers.
    change free. That will be at 3K which is about 700 miles from now.
    The next oil change I can go with Mobil 1.

I bought the zuki primarily because there is indeed a timing chain in there as opposed to a belt which must be changed as part of regular maintenance.

So far, no problems whatsoever.
    As I recall, my 2000 dak was already back at the dealer twice at this point.
  • klotonkloton Posts: 3
    I'm considering a 2002 Grand Vitara. Do you recommend? How many serious problems and how many miles do you have? Are parts the real problem?
  • mij325mij325 Posts: 4
    I am strongly considering buying a Grand Vitara. However, some of the messages made me doubtful. Some owners love the car, while others are regretful. It would be the first car I would buy, and I'm looking for something dependable, safe, somewhat powerful and most importantly something that would not be in the shop on a monthly basis. So I'm open to any feedback. Is there any year that seems to be more troublesome than others? Are there any features that experience more problems? I would appreciate ANY suggestions.
    These Vitara's (Grand, XL7, and Standard) are very high quality cars. No rattles, a very dependable engine, thrifty and good looking. After looking at them compared to the Ford Focus and etc. etc. I don't know how someone could go wrong on any of them. But if you are looking to tow forget these vehicles, other than that there a real value for the money.

Frankk
    I have a hamster, a 2002 vitara 4 door for a little over two months now. It has yet to go in to the dealer for anything.

For comparision, my 2000 Dak was back at the dealer twice in the same timeframe.

If you tow, grab a v-6. If you want economy, then go with the 4 banger.
  • I enjoyed your posts. I just bought a 2002 JLS 4 door NEW for $14K. I just finished paying for my 1998 Dakota 4WD 5.2L We traded in a 93 Ranger XL. I want to buy a service manual for the Vitara. Also do you know of any sites selling performance parts for the Vitara?
    Has anyone taken their Vitara up or down Black Bear Pass in Colorado. Looks pretty exciting and scary. Ordinary Vitara only has 7 1/6" of clearance and did you have raise the vehicle or put on bigger tires. Thinking about trying it but would like some advice or knowledge.
    Cheers,
    Frankk
    Matter of fact, the hamster has yet to cross the PA state line. I might do this during xmas vacation to Florida,dunno yet.

Has anyone noticed the AC being a tad weak on hot sunny days? Does anyone tint their windows? IF so, is there a noticable difference?
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Posts: 149
    Mopar,
    I have a 2002 Tracker LT, V6, 4dr.,...I live in Melbourne Beach, Florida and it gets mighty hot in the summer {fall and spring,too}. I had my windows tinted the first day I bought the silver beauty and have had no problems with the A/C keeping it cool. I really believe window tinting does help enormously.
    I just got a quote from a local place that will take $225 to do the 4 doors and the back window in about 2 hrs. Has a lifetime warranty plus I can choose from the varying degrees of tint.

I might take him up on this. Needless to say, the tint on the stock vitaras is pretty weak.
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Posts: 149
    Mopar,
    Check around for a better price {yellow pages, make a couple of calls}....That price is high. I paid 125.00 for all four and the rear and a front windshield strip. I am certain you can get a better price. Of course, living in Florida, there are numerous tint shops with a lot of competition.
    I had the same price for my Ford Escape two years ago, and a previous minivan.They used a name brand product and all the previos vehicles I had done are still A-1 as far as the tint goes. No peeling and no bubbles.
    My particulary AC sits out in the 90 degree heat all day long and after work takes about 5 minutes to really cool down, but does great when cooled down and sometimes have to add a little heat to keep it bearable.
    Cheers,
    Frank
    There is only one guy in my area who does this so I guess he can charge whatever he likes. I have my first oil change scheduled today and I will ask at the dealer what they know.

The AC does blow cold enough but with all that glass area, on really hot 90+ days, I notice it struggles a bit. Most modern cars do as AC systems are designed to meet certain HVAC standards and not much more. Back in the 70's many Detroit cars had excess AC capactiy plus true tinted windows. Remember the lap coolers, the small vents that blew air towards your lap? I can't remember a modern car with that feature and it sure did make a difference.

Stay tuned.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,407
    Appeals court: Suzuki can sue 'Consumer Reports'

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

If anyone interested Calmini has a new suspension kit for the 1999 thru 2002 Vitara that will give 2 1/2 to 3" of lift for bigger tires. Price is $895 without installation. Looks like it would allow 30" tires and give a ground clearance of about 10" which is pretty good. Make you about the same as a Jeep Wrangler. My question is who does the realignment and will it hold?
    Cheers,
    Frankk
  • barbdbarbd Posts: 1
    I bought a 2001 JLX, love it but am ready to ditch the stock tires, any suggestions out there? am finding that there isn't a small truck/suv made for this, am getting quotes for only car tires, which I find odd for a vehicle that's geared for better off roading than my old accord was! OK so it's not a wrangler . . . and I guess having road tires on it is OK for sound and smoother ride, but I live in Colorado and would like to off road a little , any ideas??
    theyhave a good selection of tires.
  • I have a 1999 GV with 57000 miles. I brought it to
    the dealer to check out a oil leak. They told me the leak was coming from the timing chain cover.
    The cost to repair is $1,360!! Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • I'm in the same position, looking for a set of tires to replace the originals. I've narrowed it down to either BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO or Firestone Wilderness AT III. These are both 6 ply LT (light truck) vs the original tires which are 4 ply P (passenger). They both have fairly aggressive tread. Look at the tread design on tirerack.com. My original tires are 205 75R 15. The smallest size available in these two tires is 215 75R 15, slightly larger yet acceptable. Let me know what you came up with
  • m45guym45guy Posts: 42
    Tough question to answer. To be honest, the GV is a *TRUCK*, not a prettied up station wagon, with snow-wheel-drive. I have to laugh at any commercial which has a car pretending to be a truck, or any SUV which has 20 inch chrome freakin' wheels. Look, they're trucks, they're built to be worked, not pretty-fied.

Now, if you can handle the fact they depreciate *very* quickly and the interior scraches if you look at it the wrong way, it's a downright abuse-able vehicle. Look for used, if you want cheap. Mine saw Red Cone pass, a rather neat pass in CO, while it was still on *OEM* rubber. Now, I've added 245/70 BFG AT's, am working on a 1.75 inch coil spring 'lift', and am trying to keep the tree-inflicted dents to a minimum. Oh, the DRL's are gone, too, as is the automatic headlight thing, which just drove me nuts, turning on and off, as I drove from sun to shade.... Grrr.

FWIW, with the 5 speed, and a 15 mile Portland, OR commute, I'm getting 22 mpg, air on, 23, air off. I've used Mobil 1 in the motor since about 1500 miles, and in the tranny, diffs and T-case since about 2500. Oh, it did blow a rear axle seal, and I've had the air bag sensor replaced, but that's *it* for trouble.

While it's far from my favorite car (look at my screen name), it's what I've got, it's paid for, and it makes for a good vehicle to pull behind an RV, so it 'earns' it's keep...until a tree falls on it, or something.

Too bad we can't get it with the 2.0L turbo-diesel engine, as that would be awesome, off-road.

Kelly B
    '99 JLX+, five speed, 47K miles, have 'fixed' the steering wheel shake problem (hint: dial in about one *thread* of toe-in on the front end, the tire wear is now perfect, and it doesn't shake)

• Specific problem: I just purchased the 2000 GV. There's a squeaky-rattle in the dash area near the driver's side. Does anyone have infomation about this matter, specifically, how to resolve it?

Specific thanks: Before summer arrives I will have the A/C system checked. Thanks for the advance warnings; it's always nice to know about problems in advance.

Useful site: TireRack.com. I'm a very satisfied customer!

• Hi, I know this is supposed to be for the Vitara/Grand Vitara, but there are no Sidekick forums. Also, I've noted that many of you have had Sidekicks in the past. I have a 98 Sidekick Sport, 4 dr, 1.8 liter, 4wd. I have had it since 10/99, got it as an off lease, with 14,600 miles. I really liked the car when I first got it, but I have had several problems with it. Premature wearing of front brakes, premature wearing of tires (both replaced at 24k), entire new rear end at 34k, was with out the car for 3 months on that one. Last spring the clutch went out, but luckily it was only a metal plate that had to be replaced. Also, I had such things happen as the grill falling out on the freeway while cruising at 70 mph, paint falling off the front bumper at 20k, and most recently, a soaking wet (and stinking) interior due to a hole in the drivers side floor. I've been wanting to trade it off, but it still gives me hope, and its the best thing in snow I've ever seen. Can you guys offer me any hope for this car, maybe another 50 or 60 thousand miles of hope? I could use it. I've already been offered $5500 on trade in for a '00 Mountaineer, and I'm about ready to take it. What do you think? Let me know, thanks!!!
  • In my Sidekick, it developed a rattle that lasted for well into 2 years that I had it, and I finally tracked it down to radio. It had a bolt on the back of it that stuck through a hole, with nothing to attach itself to, so it rattled, and made the most ungodly sound you've ever heard. I took some 3M foam tape and covered the metal bracket that the back of the radio sticks through, and the back of the radio, including the bolt with nowhere to go. Fixed it. I was so glad, I could actually listen to the radio without having to turn it up to ear blasting level. This may or may not help.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,407
    Is the Sidekick enough like the Tracker? We could rename the Chevy Tracker discussion to include y'all if you want to try to generate some discussion in there (or just create a new discussion). But maybe the current Tracker is really more like the Vitaras. When was the Sidekick's last year anyway - '99?

I don't think the Vitara/Grand owners are going to mind the occasional Sidekick thread in here either.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• The Sidekick's last year was '98, and in all honesty, I forgot about the Sidekick being the twin of the Tracker. I'll go post there as well. Thanks for reminding me! Also, yes, the Sidekick and Tracker are identical, except for a few exterior body modifications. Thanks again!