Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Grand Vitara (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• barbdbarbd Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2001 JLX, love it but am ready to ditch the stock tires, any suggestions out there? am finding that there isn't a small truck/suv made for this, am getting quotes for only car tires, which I find odd for a vehicle that's geared for better off roading than my old accord was! OK so it's not a wrangler . . . and I guess having road tires on it is OK for sound and smoother ride, but I live in Colorado and would like to off road a little , any ideas??
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    theyhave a good selection of tires.
  • stank29stank29 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 GV with 57000 miles. I brought it to
    the dealer to check out a oil leak. They told me the leak was coming from the timing chain cover.
    The cost to repair is $1,360!! Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • woody72woody72 Member Posts: 73
    I'm in the same position, looking for a set of tires to replace the originals. I've narrowed it down to either BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO or Firestone Wilderness AT III. These are both 6 ply LT (light truck) vs the original tires which are 4 ply P (passenger). They both have fairly aggressive tread. Look at the tread design on tirerack.com. My original tires are 205 75R 15. The smallest size available in these two tires is 215 75R 15, slightly larger yet acceptable. Let me know what you came up with
  • m45guym45guy Member Posts: 42
    Tough question to answer. To be honest, the GV is a *TRUCK*, not a prettied up station wagon, with snow-wheel-drive. I have to laugh at any commercial which has a car pretending to be a truck, or any SUV which has 20 inch chrome freakin' wheels. Look, they're trucks, they're built to be worked, not pretty-fied.

Now, if you can handle the fact they depreciate *very* quickly and the interior scraches if you look at it the wrong way, it's a downright abuse-able vehicle. Look for used, if you want cheap. Mine saw Red Cone pass, a rather neat pass in CO, while it was still on *OEM* rubber. Now, I've added 245/70 BFG AT's, am working on a 1.75 inch coil spring 'lift', and am trying to keep the tree-inflicted dents to a minimum. Oh, the DRL's are gone, too, as is the automatic headlight thing, which just drove me nuts, turning on and off, as I drove from sun to shade.... Grrr.

FWIW, with the 5 speed, and a 15 mile Portland, OR commute, I'm getting 22 mpg, air on, 23, air off. I've used Mobil 1 in the motor since about 1500 miles, and in the tranny, diffs and T-case since about 2500. Oh, it did blow a rear axle seal, and I've had the air bag sensor replaced, but that's *it* for trouble.

While it's far from my favorite car (look at my screen name), it's what I've got, it's paid for, and it makes for a good vehicle to pull behind an RV, so it 'earns' it's keep...until a tree falls on it, or something.

Too bad we can't get it with the 2.0L turbo-diesel engine, as that would be awesome, off-road.

Kelly B
    '99 JLX+, five speed, 47K miles, have 'fixed' the steering wheel shake problem (hint: dial in about one *thread* of toe-in on the front end, the tire wear is now perfect, and it doesn't shake)
  • fiddlerladyfiddlerlady Member Posts: 2

Specific problem: I just purchased the 2000 GV. There's a squeaky-rattle in the dash area near the driver's side. Does anyone have infomation about this matter, specifically, how to resolve it?

Specific thanks: Before summer arrives I will have the A/C system checked. Thanks for the advance warnings; it's always nice to know about problems in advance.

Useful site: TireRack.com. I'm a very satisfied customer!

• 1badsidekick1badsidekick Member Posts: 135
    Hi, I know this is supposed to be for the Vitara/Grand Vitara, but there are no Sidekick forums. Also, I've noted that many of you have had Sidekicks in the past. I have a 98 Sidekick Sport, 4 dr, 1.8 liter, 4wd. I have had it since 10/99, got it as an off lease, with 14,600 miles. I really liked the car when I first got it, but I have had several problems with it. Premature wearing of front brakes, premature wearing of tires (both replaced at 24k), entire new rear end at 34k, was with out the car for 3 months on that one. Last spring the clutch went out, but luckily it was only a metal plate that had to be replaced. Also, I had such things happen as the grill falling out on the freeway while cruising at 70 mph, paint falling off the front bumper at 20k, and most recently, a soaking wet (and stinking) interior due to a hole in the drivers side floor. I've been wanting to trade it off, but it still gives me hope, and its the best thing in snow I've ever seen. Can you guys offer me any hope for this car, maybe another 50 or 60 thousand miles of hope? I could use it. I've already been offered $5500 on trade in for a '00 Mountaineer, and I'm about ready to take it. What do you think? Let me know, thanks!!!
    In my Sidekick, it developed a rattle that lasted for well into 2 years that I had it, and I finally tracked it down to radio. It had a bolt on the back of it that stuck through a hole, with nothing to attach itself to, so it rattled, and made the most ungodly sound you've ever heard. I took some 3M foam tape and covered the metal bracket that the back of the radio sticks through, and the back of the radio, including the bolt with nowhere to go. Fixed it. I was so glad, I could actually listen to the radio without having to turn it up to ear blasting level. This may or may not help.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Is the Sidekick enough like the Tracker? We could rename the Chevy Tracker discussion to include y'all if you want to try to generate some discussion in there (or just create a new discussion). But maybe the current Tracker is really more like the Vitaras. When was the Sidekick's last year anyway - '99?

I don't think the Vitara/Grand owners are going to mind the occasional Sidekick thread in here either.

Steve, Host
    The Sidekick's last year was '98, and in all honesty, I forgot about the Sidekick being the twin of the Tracker. I'll go post there as well. Thanks for reminding me! Also, yes, the Sidekick and Tracker are identical, except for a few exterior body modifications. Thanks again!
    If you could rename the Tracker discussion, I think it might have a few in there to discuss the sidekick. Thing is, the current tracker is the Vitara/Grand Vitara. The previous gen Tracker was the sidekick. But, it may help. Thanks!
    Since most people now seem to start in Town Hall by make/model, I added the Sidekick, Grand Vitara and Vitara to the "what is this discussion about?" discussion header in the Chevy Tracker board. That way people searching for the Sidekick will see the Tracker board in the list of discussions.

But there's probably not going to be much activity for a SUV that hasn't been retailed for a few years now.

Steve, Host
    I appreciate it. Its very true that there won't be many people talking about it, but once in a while someone wants to buy a used one, and the info may help them. Thanks again!
  • weiwei71weiwei71 Member Posts: 8
    Wondering how many in this forum are do-it-yourself kind. I have a question.

The oil filter of the Grand Vitara located in such a strange position and I tried ton of different ways but so far not successful. Anyone on this board has done this before and may share your experience with me. What kind of tools you were using to do the job? What kind of filter you purchases and so on?

Thanks!

Weiwei
  • mcclutzmcclutz Member Posts: 13
    A friend of mine owns a 2002 grand vitara and can't figre out how to get the cargo cover off. It doesn't say anything in the owners manual, and the website merely mentions it is only retractable. We believe it must come off some how otherwise what a stupid idea to allow fold down seats, with a bar in the middle. Any thoughts on how to remove it?
  • tamij79tamij79 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2000 GV with 53,000 mi. and have bragged nonstop about how trouble free it is. Just returned from my local Zuki dealership--AC system has been pronounced DEAD and needs $1000 worth of repairs. Dealer also found a leaking front crossover pipe--another $500-$900 to fix. I have babied this car--what is going on? Dealership's answer is "These things happen sometimes.". Any advice?
    what needed to be replaced? What broke? WHen? What symptoms were you experiencing?
    AC system is leaking at front line and compressor will not develop pressure. Fan runs, but just blows room temp air. I first noticed problem about 6 weeks ago (it took a month to get a Sat. appt. at the dealership). AC hasn't been used regularly since last Fall, but I turn it on briefly about 1 time/mo. as the owner's manual suggests. Seemed to work fine up to mid-Apr.

I have not experienced any symptoms with the crossover pipe leak (should I?). We had a rough winter, and my car got hung up a couple of times on my unpaved, unplowed road (neighbor got it out one time, another time I had to be towed)Could this have caused the problem? Dealer suggests replacing the pipe and will try to reuse the O2 sensors from old pipe. If they can't, replacement sensors--at nearly $200/ea.--have to be ordered. Dealer claims vehicle may not pass state inspection if I don't have the pipe/sensors replaced.
  • m45guym45guy Member Posts: 42
    You can get the filter out from the engine compartment, if you turn it just the right way. I don't need tools to get mine off, but you can get a clamp-on device which uses a socket wrench as the drive. Wix, AKA NAPA, makes good filters.

The cargo cover is easily removed by hitting it fairly hard, and sharply, from underneath. I've not used mine since I got it out, but that's just me.
    I contacted Amer. Zuki Corp. in CA. AZC will pay for all AC/exhaust parts except O2 sensors (they say the old ones can probably be reused) if I pay labor--cost of repairs is down to $250. I am not completely satisfied with being responsible for the O2 sensors, but overall the deal seemed fair.
    This is my first experience dealing with the co. direct; I hope it's my last.
    Good luck!
  • muttersmutters Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had a problem with their parking brake prematurely releasing once it has been set causing the vechile to roll down hill. I had this problem on on my 1999 Grand Vitara 4x4 causing the vechile to roll down hill backwards. If anyone else has had this problem would you please let me know.
    you might have the cable adjustment checked though.
    See my other rant, er, post over in the Tracker discussion. These guys aren't using valid stats from the NHTSA - if you ever visit the source, you'll see lots of dupes, illogical complaints, etc.

Steve, Host
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    The Pennsylvania state Attorney General's office seems to find a problem with these cars.
    Got a link? I don't see any list when I visit the Penn. AG's office page: Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General, but there's a lot of stuff crammed in there.

A search there for lemon flops up these two links, but no list:
    link
    link

All I find on google for "Penn. lemon law" are links to law firms soliciting clients.

Penn. has a Puppy Lemon Law in addition to the automobile one! The stuff you find searching....

Steve, Host
  • bft4x4bft4x4 Member Posts: 12
    My friend has a 2002 Grand Vitara 2WD with the 5 Speed Manual transmission. She tows a 13" Scamp Trailer which weighs 950lbs. The SGV is rated to tow 1,500lbs. She says the SGV is struggling especially up hill. Any suggestions ? She loves the SGV and does not want to get a truck. Thanks. Sue, San Diego.
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Member Posts: 61
    The V6's optimum power range is between 4,000 RPM and 6,500 RPM. Keeping the revs in this range when accelerating and climbing hills should do the job. And, yes, the engine will sound like it is working hard. It is built to do this day in and day out.
    too, let me motor rev. These rigs have tough, solid motors and they like to rev
  • jeannebojeannebo Member Posts: 1
    I just came from the mechanic and it appears that I am again leaking oil from the rear main seal. This is a 99 GV 4WD with 60k miles and this is the second rear main seal to go out. The first was covered under warranty, but this next one will cost around $500. The mechanic said the drive shaft could be faulty causing the seals to wear abnormally quick.

Has anyone else had this problem? Reading some of the other messages is making me think I should get rid of this car before something else major goes wrong.

I should point out that this car was in the shop 6 times for various problems before it even had 1000 miles.
  • jbouchebjboucheb Member Posts: 19
    I'm getting a whole bunch of requests about modifications I've done to my ride. Please follow this link for more details:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/jboucheb

Holler if you have any questions.

Jim
    Wallet Watchers (Post Gazette)

Steve, Host
  • ianthomianthom Member Posts: 5
    Hi Rob,
    I have a 1999 Grand Vitara 2,5L V6 automatic. The A/C has leaked into the passenger footwell. On inspection there was condensation dripping off of the outside of the case. I pulled out the filters and found that the evaporator was one quarter iced up from the bottom. The condensate drain pipe was clear and working, after the ice melted there was a large pudddle under the car. Have read other reports on this web site that there is a dealer resistor installation fix. Do you know if there is a Suzuki notice on this item. I am living in Sweden and the dealer does not understand my problem so a Suzuki reference would be helpfull. Thanks Ian
  • sweetsandy1sweetsandy1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had this problem?
    The dealer says," theirs no problem just open the windows"Thanks
  • ianthomianthom Member Posts: 5
    There is a known possible fuel leak at cold temperatures. For Suzuki GV 1999-2001 there is a manufacturer safety recall to replace the fuel pressure regulator - TSB Number 06-05 0611. If your vehicle has had the change done there will be a Red coloured "X4" sticker just above the left headlamp on the radiator support cross member.
  • dixie100dixie100 Member Posts: 4
    About 7-9 Months ago I went to start up my little Suzie Q and the starter just would spin, but not the engine. I could not get it her to start at all! My husband said he use to have an old Chevy pick-up truck that use to do the same thing, anyhow, he fiddled with it until he got it to start. Then everything was fine again until yesterday when I got ready to leave for work and it happened again to me! I love my Suzie Q, why is she doing this to me? Does anyone know why?

Thanks, and happy Holidays.
    Dixie and Suzie Q
    Cameron Park, Ca.
  • earthlingusaearthlingusa Member Posts: 1
    TYPICAL dealer response. One I received when a vehicle I owned was making way too much NOISE... "your keys are rattling against the steering column" .. thanks.. I never noticed. A friend told me to just "TURN THE RADIO UP!!" The best I got recently from a Suzuki dealer when I was complaining about shifting into reverse.. "the floor mat was in the way of the clutch"!! THAT ONE set me off big time!!! Funny, it didn't affect the other gears. sheesh.
    sometimes at the answers customers are fed by the dealer.
  • sol8airsol8air Member Posts: 1
    but I have some questions. I live near Seattle and it does snow here (not a lot but when it does it's pretty slick). I currently own a 1998 Forester, and even with really high-end all weather tires I put on last year, it didn't do too well in the snow storm we had a few months back. SCARY!! I will be purchasing automatic (I don't do manual). Has Suzuki improved the stock tires they put on or will I need to change them before next winter, and has anyone experience with these newer models?

I also have concern about this timing chain vs timing belt thing. I am not a mechanic. I am not a guy. I am a single mom transporting a kid in a wheelchair and tired of driving farty monster "mom-mobiles". The Suzuki GV looks cool and youthful and great for my mid-life crisis <grin>. Other than the enormous turning circle (more than 38 feet) and lousy behaviour in snow, I have had no real problem with the Forester, but I like the look and feel of the Grand Vitara (drove one for the first time today). I like that it's small and compact, moves when I push the accelerator and stops when I touch the brake. The only service I have ever had to give the Forester has been routine oil changes at Jiffy Lube and brakes relined at Midas after like 60K (I have ~80K on it now). What is this "timing chain" thing on the GV that I read has to be periodically replaced, how often does that need done and how expensive it it? Any other routine maintainance that is different from other little trucks? I do not think I have ever had a car or light truck that had such a thing (if it did I was never made aware of it) and I have had Jeeps and little Ford trucks.

kj
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    If you plan to plow through the sand at Long Beach or climb the forest trails in the Cascades or Olympics, the GV will be a little better than your Forester. For driving in the RAIN, slush, ice, and wet snow that plague Seattle nine out of twelve months, the GV will be a LOT worse. 4 wheel drive, like the GV has, is designed for off-road. All wheel drive, like your Forester has, is designed for roads, good, bad, and very bad. A vehicle in 4 wheel drive HAS TO spin at least one tire when turning or the system binds up. Do you want at least one tire spinning when you are cornering on ice? If you don't believe me, drive over Snoqualmie Pass during a winter storm and count the 4 wheel drive pickups and SUVs in the snowbanks. Then count the Subarus and Audis in the snowbanks. I suggest you buy a set of four studless winter tires mounted on steel wheels and use them on your Forester from November thru February. I know that suggestion is ludicrous to west-siders, but us east-siders in WA know winter driving. I'd suggest Michelin Alpines for Seattle. I use Bridgestone Blizzaks in Yakima. I won't write what we say over here about Seattle drivers in the winter. Good luck.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Good luck on your choice!
  • intrepidationintrepidation Member Posts: 45
    <<Then count the Subarus and Audis in the snowbanks. I suggest you buy a set of four studless winter tires mounted on steel wheels and use them on your Forester from November thru February.>>

You ain't lying! I'd take my '95 Intrepid w/traction control and studless snows over pretty much any bona-fide 4WD in a snow/ice storm.

Now, AWD, or as I like to call it, snow-wheel-drive, that's a different story. My wife's RX300 is truly amazing in ice, even on the horrible stock tires...which are, ironically, the same Bridgestone Duelers which are OEM on the GV. My '94 Grand Cherokee was similarly good, but still, I'd always pick the Intrepid if my wife would let me have it that day.

Please, if you buy snow tires, do not use studded snows. These carve up the roads something fierce, making for not only horrible road noise, but interesting wet-weather driving.
  • tallman30tallman30 Member Posts: 1
    I own a GV Limited 4x4 with the 2.5ltr DOHC engine. I had no problems out of it until 75000 miles. The rear main seal went out ($500) and now at 78000 the oil pump quit. The dealership to which I had it towed said that this was a common problem. They want $1300 to replace the pump, but I'm sure that the engine sustained damage as there is a lot of metal in the oil pan. I have talked with a local mechanic shop who says that he has seen three like mine in for the same problem in the last six months. Suzuki's corporate office claims no knowledge of any problem with the oil pump. I have records of all oil changes, which were performed every 3-5000 miles. Has anyone else experienced this problem? A used engine is probably my best bet, but will this happen again?
  • whiskerswhiskers Member Posts: 4
    I am the original owner of a 2002 Grand Vitara Limited 4x4 automatic. I am nearing 30,500 miles and am getting close to warranty expiration (36,000 mi.). I have never taken her off road and am very good to my car (regular oil changes, etc.). The other day while driving I heard a sound that sounded like popcorn popping in the area near the gear shift (at least that sounded like the area). I was driving on a newer road at the time with no loose gravel, so I am confident that the noise was the car. I pulled over and stopped. The noise went on for about 20 seconds and then stopped and I haven't heard it again. I don't know if it's in my head, but now it seems as though the GV has shifting issues. It seems to take awhile to shift into one of the gears? Has anyone else had experience with this popping sound or shifting issues? Could this be a transmission issue? What could it be? I'd like to be a bit informed before going to the dealer since I've read here that they seem to deny a lot of issues. Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • kc5ytikc5yti Member Posts: 38
    When did you by your GV? If I am not mistaken, if you purchased it after August the first, you should have the newer 7year/100K mile warranty. If not, I would contact your dealer to have them look at any possible issues. Your issue could be a number of things. It could be a loose heat shield or gravel in the heat shield. It could also be something more serious.

Regards,

kc5yti
  • thomas9thomas9 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I have a GV model 2000 full automatic 4 door 6cyl. I am very much happy with this vehicle till now no more major problems by the grace of god.

Only problem what i experienced is, Once engine was switch off while warming up in the morning (I was giving little accelerator). It was once only so i didnt report to dealer. Is there anything to check? pls. advise..

There is a small humming sound can hear while AC is on. Is it normal? Cooling capacity is very good.

Have a nice day

George
  • thomas9thomas9 Member Posts: 2
    I am from Kuwait. Mine is Grand Vitara, model 2000, full automatic, V6, 4 door type and with 4WD option, done 90000 Kilo meters already.

I would like to know which is the suitable tyre for my GV. i mean which brand and any particular model for good road grip.

Please advise..Thank you

George