Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL Class

Comments

• mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    A key point you have missed in your comparison between both is the reliability, but I suppose since it is a lease you really don't have to worry too much about long term reliability and resale value. One thing that surprised me about my 1999 M class was the huge depreciation that I had to take when I sold it.
  • buckaroo067buckaroo067 Member Posts: 22
    Reliability is not an issue for me. Our past two MLs have been flawless .. combined with the fact that we our leasing and service visits are not that inconvenient for us, I found no reason to use it as a buying factor.
    In that case GL maybe the way to go, I think GL is much more advanced technologically and with much more features.

I am tempted to upgrade from my Landcruiser to GL, but I want wait and see until I get more news about the Lexus LX470/Landcruiser replacement. I will most likely get the diesel GL320 CDI.

Tini
  • wopelwopel Member Posts: 92
    Well, I've been waiting and looking, and now Acura is coming out with the MDX-X which is supposed to be a bit larger than the MDX. It's certainly going to be priced better than the GL, but it too will be a new model. The GL does what I want it to do, but the price is high with the add-ons. Also why are they taking so long with the 320? I at least have discounted the Lexus suv's because they are so truck-like. I have every reason to believe the Acura will be reliable. I have had a number of MB's in my life and they are all still alive and well long after I was done with them! What's a person to do?
    MDX-X ? Is that a long wheel base MDX? The new MDX looks smaller than the current model. One thing that I don't like about the current MDX is the back reast of the middle (second)row seat. They stop about four inches below the shoulder and you have to keep the headrest all the way up. Very uncomfortable for long trips. Also the towing capacity is only 3500 lbs.
  • gollamgollam Member Posts: 29
    deciding which one to get?..besides nameplate...anyone think the enclave worth getting?..dependability/reliability..third row seating, cargo room...etc...

thanks
    Sorry, I think I had too many x's in my MDX. I got a brochure from Acura and they use MD-X and MDX. Anyway, the new one is supposed to be longer and wider - 30% larger than the 2006. Acura is proud that they tested/tweeked it a the Nurenbirging(sp?) track. It's supposed to be more car-like and less truck-like. USA Today and Automotive News both think well of it. The price is certainly easier to swallow - between $41,000 and $48,000. They will be out at the end of September, so I can wait a little longer. I still like the GL a lot.
  • buckaroo067buckaroo067 Member Posts: 22
    Well ... I finally decided to get the GX470 (Loaded 2006 model with Navi, Lexus Link, Rear Seat entertainment, etc). I still like the GL a whole lot better but the size and the price difference was a deterrent for my wife. i will definitely go back to Mercedes next time
    You might wish you waited for the Acura 2007 MDX. I, too, looked at the GX, but it's so old-school...
    The newer soft roaders like the Infinity FX 35/45 and X5 should be called SV as in Sport Vehicle as opposed to SUV. I can't see where you will get any utility given the minscule cargo space. MDX was an exception. Howerver the 2007 seems to be taking after the RX/FX/X5 styling.

buckaroo067 . You will never regret a Lexus.
    how good/bad is mb reliability these days?...really...

is it wise to spend 70k on a mb today and not worry about it breaking down, being in the shop most of the time?..has mb cleaned their act?...

opinions?
  • templeton3templeton3 Member Posts: 69
    Whether you buy the entry level or the top of the line, MB still has alot of problems. It is really sad to see this.

Want a luxury car based on reliability, buy a Lexus.
    I don't like the Lexus suv's. Do you have any thoughts about the new Acura MDX? I need more space than a Lexus RX and I don't want a truck-like suv like GX or LX, and that's why I like the GL - but the price tag is a bit high. We have 2 MBs in our household, and they have been fine, but the dealer service dept is abonimable when we have needed them.
  • howlyshowlys Member Posts: 5
    I've been negotiating with a couple of dealers around the country and have gotten some pretty good prices so far. However, I just got off the phone with another dealer. I spoke with a receptionist for the European delivery sales and was told that starting next month, the dealers are taking delivery of the diesels in the ML and the Gl class, and they are now taking factory orders. I left my info, so lets see what happens when they get back to me. I've been negotiating on the 450, but I'd rather have the diesel, even though my wife would rather have gas. This car will be mainly for her to drive. Has anybody heard of a GL420 CDI, or is it just the 320 coming out?
  • tmattstedttmattstedt Member Posts: 11
    According to my MB dealer, there are no plans for the 420CDI for the US, although they are getting great reviews in Europe. Apparently emission is the issue (the Diesel Fuel in the US is not filtered and not as clean as European Diesel).

Just saw a test in a German Car magazine comparing the Q7 with the GL320 CDI - the Audi won. Everything but the engine was superior on the GL, but apparently the engine sluggish.
    anyone know if forum is down?..or is it just me?...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's you. :-)
    friends told me they had airmatic/suspension problems on their premier edition gl's..and had to bring to shop...

how sad...what's going on with mb?..reliability/dependability issues remain?....

is this limited only to premier editions or is anyone else having problems as well?....
    I generally prefer not to buy the first two years of a totally redesigned or new model. No matter how extensively a manufacturer tests a new model, it is very different from real-world usage.
  • blkwheelsblkwheels Member Posts: 1
    I did not get the Premier Edition and my GL went in the shop for the airmatic in the first week for 3 days. I was bummbed!

blkwheels
    I'm very close to purchasing a vehicle, and have been waiting for the '07 Acura MDX to arrive. I really like the GL (don't want an ML), and now I like the MDX.
    The price difference is enormous. Can someone help me justify spending another $16-18,000 on the GL.
    I drive a 320 E wagon right now, but it doesn't have enough room (even with a cargo box) for trips. Around town it's great, although the airconditioning is disappointing past the front seat.
    I'm trying to make excuses - help me!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • sunkist1sunkist1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the middle of the same comparison. Here's my take on why the GL rather than the MDX.
    1. On-road performance and ride are considerably better
    2. More luxurious
    3. Third row seat will hold full sized people, at least for a relatively short ride
    4. Will haul more stuff
    5. Will hold resale value a little better
    One annoyance is that the MDX includes the entertainment system in the base, while it is a very expensive option on the GL.
    I actually saw an 07 MDX, but wasn't allowed to sit in it or drive it - it was sold. It's smaller than I thought.
    Yes, the pricing of the MDX seems so reasonable! The GL seems so reasonable at the base price, but then when you add a steering wheel and tires, it's expensive!
    Ultimately I think I'd like the GL420CDI, if they'd only get it made.
    I'm not about being "green" but I want my cake and eat it too. I want a big vehicle with good mileage.
    The GL is laid out much like my E wagon, and I like it a lot. The MDX middle seat does not lay flat - odd.
    Thanks for your input.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Please don't. This is going to make finding information that much harder. I don't see what is so wrong with having one thread to discuss the GL whether it be styling/performance etc. A seperate pricing/leasing thread is ok as is the buying experience thread, but closing this one doesn't make any sense IMO.

M
    Thanks for your comments, Merc.

I'm going to open a "Mercedes-Benz GL Class: Meet the Members!" Forum where we can continue the more social general discussion. At the same time, people looking for specific information can avail themselves of the finer divisions in topics and I'm hoping all the "regulars" will help out in that endeavor!

tidester, host
    Change is not always good. I can't find anything I want now. There are lots of titles, but few responses. In the "old days" one could find out everything they wanted in just a few titles of discussion. Now there are lots of titles and no information. I'm curious about the R320 and the GL320 but there's nothing.
    What were you looking for?

BTW - I've set up Mercedes-Benz GL Class: Meet the Members!.

tidester, host
  • howlyshowlys Member Posts: 5
    Just to let you know some of our observations: wife just loves it. This is our 4th Mercedes in 18 years and this one was really bought for her (from a C220 4 dr sedan because we just needed a bigger car for her. The kids outgrew the smaller car, otherwise would not have changed her car. The C220 was a great car to us for over 9 years) and yes, I do drive her GL a lot. It really is a very nice ride. Do not purchase without the 3 zone climate control. The extra vents, and the different positioning of the vents, the comfort level in the rear of vehicle, especially the 3rd row, makes all the difference. We also purchased with sunroof package and really like it. The comfort of this truck is exceptional and the performance is awesome. The vehicle is fast, quiet, and smooth. Turning radius is the best from all of the other SUV's we test drove and it takes corners like a dream. The brakes on this heavy truck are flawless and fadeless, they really make you feel good and safe. This truck is definitely not a ML. It's much more and you can immediately notice the improved handling and performance over the ML. Cargo space is still better and more useable than all the other comparable high end luxury SUV's that were available this past August and September when we were shopping. We thought the price of different wheels and tires was absolutley ridiculous so we opted for the R55 appearance package and am very happy with those extras and the included 19" rims. We can always purchase those big 20" or 21" rims down the road. The only things that I don't like is that there is a big blind spot on the driver's side. It's much more of a blind spot than even on my Excursion! Maybe bigger mirrors would help and maybe Mercedes should consider this not so little design flaw(IMO)for future GL's, but the stock integrated, folding mirrors sure do look good. And the other thing is if you accidently hit one of the 2 buttons on the underside of the steering wheel (one on each side of wheel) that change the drive gear from the normal "D" to one of the lower gears, and you do it while you are underway, it can be quite a bit scary. MPG is really about 14.5 around town and 18.3 on highway staying just under 75mph. That's about the same as my 2000 Ford diesel Excursion. Although if I keep the Excursion at about 64mph, it will get 23mpg. The Ipod thing, well the kids and my wife use it and like it a lot. So far, no problem with anything on the vehicle. Not one. Overall, it's a great SUV, and for sure, we are sure that we made the right choice. Plus, we made an OK deal when we purchased. Take care and safe motoring to ya'll.
  • carpersncarpersn Member Posts: 5
    What happened to easy-to-ID forums on Edmunds? All these different topics, and it's a nice theory that people don't digress in their postings, but let me choose to read them myself. I can never seem to find everything without hopping around.
  • oman9oman9 Member Posts: 97
    I have yet to read "Hey, this new format/model is great! Glad Edmunds finally made the move to create separate threads for topics so I don't have to read all those posts I'm not interested in anymore!"

The moderators in various forums all seem quite good in their responses to this feedback (in my reading all like above, zero for supporting the change) but I wonder if at some point someone will address whether Edmunds should revert back to what it was.

FWIW, I liked it the old way too...
  • etoilebetoileb Member Posts: 34
    .....no mention of price yet (I'm hoping 450 price less $2K), also no mention of BlueTec in spec sheet. I'm guessing this is a stop gap solution until 2008, until BlueTec is more widely proven.
    Base price is $52,400.

M
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • justg0justg0 Member Posts: 70
    I need help from people who recently shopped for a luxury SUV and considered or ended up buying one of these: Q7/MDX 07/GL 450.

I am in the market for one right now. My needs are basically something that will fit 2 adults and 2 car seats and still have some extra space for occasional family/friends. So 3rd row is important as long as I can put 1 or 2 of the car steats there. It is important for the SUV to have excellent safety ratings, which I think all of these do. Other than that I would like it to drive like a car and also be fun for me (sport mode, acceleration, cornering, etc.) - when I am not driving with kids :D

I would appreciate if you recently bought one of these SUVs and could share as to how/why you chose that one over the others. Also if you can share your experience so far with your new SUV.

Thanks!
    I drove the '07 MDX, which was very nice and car-like. The packaging was odd - had to buy DVD to get automatic rear liftgate. I also drove the Gl 450 - very nice, but more truck like, and expensive. Tried the Lexus LX and GX - too old and tired in style and very truck-like. Also! the Toyota Land Cruiser and Sequoia. The Sequoia was very comfortable and room for everything - it road better than the Land Cruiser.
    Oddly, I bought the MB R320cdi. I wanted room and fuel economy. I'm getting beyond the odd look of the vehicle. It does have room. I'm higher up than my car was. I'm getting great mileage. The only problems are electronic problems. My ez-pass won't work and my garage door opener hasn't learned it's new code! Seems it has something to do with the infrared windows. The car/truck rides very, very nicely. I've only had it for 500 miles...
    I wasn't willing to try to Q7 with Audi's reputation, but it does look nice! Of course, you don't have to remind me of MB's reputation of late!
    Wopen,

You can get an eze pass tag that you screw on to the licence plates for cars with windshields that block the eze pass signal.
    I talked to the Ez-pass people about that, but seems the external transmitters get stolen regularly.
  • queequegqueequeg Member Posts: 12
    Checked tem all and chose the GL450 for the height, the ride, the feel, the extra room for our 3 to 5 adults and the superior automatic 3rd-row seat access. Drove a loaner 230? while mine was getting it's 2,000 mile checkup and the 450 was far better equipped and much more responsive to drive than the "sporty" coupe.

Couldn't get rear cameras and was "forced to accept" the offroad package, but that 4-wheel system made me a believer, handling 16' of snow and my 17-degree inclined driveway from hell. Not one slip. Liked it before and now love it.
    I am closing to putting money down on an GL320 CDI. I know the 7-speed auto had lots of trouble when it was launched in the (S-class i beleive). Does anyone know if these problems have been ironed out? I am generally wary about buying 1st year vehicles, but I think the GL has many shared parts which have been around for over a year so I hope it will be okay.
    320 CDI Engine from the 2006 E 320CDI
    Corporate 7-Speed Tranny.
    Many other interior and exterior parts from the 2006 M-Class.

Either way I am going to price in the 7 Year/ 100K Starmark warranty as part of the price.
    Actually the 7-speed has been flawless in the S-Class, it was the 2006 ML in which the 7-speed gave the most trouble. The engine in the 2007 GL320 CDI is the same engine from the 2007 E320 Bluetec, R320 and ML320 not the 2006 E320 CDI. The 2006 E320 was the old inline-6 while all the 2007 models feature the new V6, with Bluetec treatment on the E320 Bluetec.

M
  • tmattstedttmattstedt Member Posts: 11
    The 7-Speed transmission of the GL is probably one of the best things about the car.

Before I bought my GL, had a Porsche Cayenne S and was constantly manually shifting in order to be in the right gear, in the GL I don't even thing about manual shifts.

Have never heard of anyone with troubles with the transmission and every test I read raves about it
    I read a bunch of reports on the 2006 ML class message boards. Seemed to do with hard/loud shifting as opposed to total failure of the 7-Speed transmission. My 99ML320 had a similar hard downshifting problem. When I was coming to stop at say a taffic light, it used to downshift with a thud. Dealer changed the transmission control module under warranty and never had a problem since. I bought a Toyota Landcruiser after I sold my ML320 as the negative publicity and abysmal ratings on the JD power quality and long term dependability scared me from buying another mercedes. To be honest, I never had any major issues in the 5 year and 80K miles I had the ML320. I loved the truck. I just wanted something bigger and the G-wagon didn't have the third row seating for the kids.

The GL320 is really tempting as it has everything that I am looking for. From what I read these days, mercedes is trying hard to improve the quality by doing better testing and controls before the cars leave the factory so hopefully it should be fine.
  • lindaazlindaaz Member Posts: 1
    We are shopping for a luxury SUV and looked at the new BMW X5, the new Acura MDX and the GL 450. We have three children, one in a car seat, one in a booster seat and one that's a teenager. So we need room for all that. We don't think the X5 is a viable option since the third row seat is not acceptable for even small children in my opinion. (Also, worry that they are even safe.) The MDX's third row seat is better but still smallish and we thought the interior lacked in the luxury department with fake wood. So for us, the GL 450 seems to be the best choice. The third row seat is very good even for the teenage with the long legs.

For us the most important things was practicality. All three cars drive great. We're not off-roader types so don't care about that. We do like a smooth, comfortable ride that doesn't feel like a truck. (Hated the Lexus GX470 for that reason)

So we don't have the GL450 yet but have just finalized our decision that that is the SUV that suites our needs the best and will be purchasing one within the next month.
    My decision was based on similar factors as mentioned by lindaaz. In addition I want to get the GL320 CDI so that I can have my cake and eat it too. i.e full size SUV with 25MPG avg milage. sweet !
  • dkdriverdkdriver Member Posts: 26
    I wondered is the stats were turning out to be true - either V6 or V8. Does anyone have any calculations on their GL? Also, if you have the diesel, how much is that costing you? Thanks!
  • wulffman1wulffman1 Member Posts: 16
    I am curious about the GL packaging in the US. I drove in a 320CDI at our local dealer today, didnt have the urge to actually drive it and had stopped to look at an ML500. Very comfortable I will say that. To the point, why would MBUSA bring the GL450 (4.6L 335HP) and 320CDI (215 HP)to power crazy USA, when in fuel price concious UK or South Africa you can get an GL500 (5.5L 380+HP) or 420CDI (4.0 300+ HP). Those sound much more appropriate for the US. Also the exterior spec of the GL's here in US look very basic and bog standard, a bit like an entry level ML350. Where are the extra chrome accents around the spot lights, under the side windows, optional aluminum roof rails, optional bigger wheels, lighted running board packages etc etc. I dont see these as option packages except for the appearance package which only upsizes the wheels and adds silver skid plates. Take quick look at the GL galleries on the MB UK or South Africa homepage and you'll see what I mean. Anybody know if we can expect more accessories and engine options in the future? I guess its worth noting that the GL320CDI is about $55k, but R710k in SA which is $100k, so actually perhaps I'll import the add ons be thankful they are so cheap here!
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    Ever since I drove diesel VW, MB and BMW in Germany, I have been waiting for more diesel selections in the US. My guess for not having more (bigger) diesel engines is the Federal Emissions Certification. However, in comparison to 5.5 L gasoline engine, their torque figure is nearly identical, while providing better MPG potential. 320 is Bluetec engine with urea injection to comply with the US requirements. MB probably does not want to spend too much money certifying yet another engine when general US population does not have very good memories of old diesels. Once it starts getting some traction and the numbers justify it, I am sure more diesel engines will become available.

BTW, the technology is moving nicely, as Honda and GM are supposedly able to meet the emissions requirement WITHOUT the urea injection as MB is doing.
    Well you have to remember that when the GL was introduced gas was pretty high and people were generally shying away from big SUVs, but now gas prices have come back down. Mercedes just displayed the GL420 Bluetec at the Detroit Autoshow so you can expect it for the 2008 model year. The GL550 is likely too for 2008 also.

All those things you accessories are available now, I've GL450's with those things.

M
This discussion has been closed.