Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Grand Vitara (2005 and earlier)

latrarlatrar Member Posts: 3
Got information on a new model (2000)for the Grand Vitara (GV) 12 inches will be added to the wheel base..... the car wll be lenghten to increase cargo room and add a third row of seats...the rear door will be larger to make it easier to get to the rear row of seats... the engine size will be increase from 2.7 to 2.5 and horsepower increased to 188 ....sound like a Great SUV - is supposed to come out the summer of 2000

Met w/ the Suzuki REP today @ Auto Place Suzuki in Williamsville, NY .. he told me that the AC will shut down (overload) @ very cold temp and that the fix is to add a resistor in the AC electrical line They will be installing the resistor under warranty tomorrow .. this should fix the problem

Comments

• gone2seagone2sea Member Posts: 33
    Latrar,

I wonder if new GV will have a different name or modified name since changes appear significant enough to warrant having both models available. Was any info available on total weight, towing capacity, and availability of rear pop-out side windows? Adding third seat and other changes may open GV to new markets, but at 15 plus feet and 3800 pounds (my estimates based on your data), I wonder if this will still be a mini-ute. Also, what will happen to its off-road capability as well as relative ease to drive?
  • latrarlatrar Member Posts: 3
    I did not ask him the questions about weight,towing capacity or pop out rear windows .....I did ask him about price and the Suzuki Rep said it would be about $2000 more than the regular GV he also said if will have the same off road capabilities
  • swest1swest1 Member Posts: 9
    To latrar:

Are you saying that all 1999 GVs need this AC fix?

thanks

swest
  • rbalkrbalk Member Posts: 15
    There is a new EGroup mailing list for the Suzuki
    Grand Vitara owners. You are welcome to subscribe.
    Only you can do is just send an email to
    suzukigrandvitara-subscribe@egroups.com with blank
    subject and message and then you are automatcilly
    subscribed. You can click www.egroups.com and
    see for yourself.
  • danl1danl1 Member Posts: 5
    The Suzuki Canada site has been updated with specs on the 2000 model. It's available with an Adventure package, a Leather package and a Limited Package. MSRPs are up a few hundred bucks from last year. http://www.suzuki.ca
  • dan127dan127 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the link, Danl1... but now I am confused-

Several things caught my attention: first of all, the U.S. site has not been updated- still 1999.

Also, I noticed that every package of the GV except the JX dumped the cassette and got a CD player instead (like Honda did). On the Edmund's site, it says the "+" packages will add a 6 CD-changer in the back, but makes no mention of a standard CD player. Looks like we still got the cassette.

Another thing- there is a "wood trim" option for the GV on the Canadian site, but Edmunds says nothing about it. In fact, I looked at the GV Limited here in San Antonio, and I saw no trim of that sort- I imagine that it looks very nice.

I'm sure there are many other discrepancies that I haven't mentioned... which brings me to this question:

Why aren't WE being provided with these options? They are after all options, and if people don't want 'em they won't buy 'em.

Maybe... maybe Suzuki has more leverage in Canada to expand options and target a more "luxury-hungry" niche of buyers? I have a feeling that Suzuki is just targeting the BUDGET-minded buyers in the U.S. to stay competitive against the other budget makes. I know I'm really reaching with this theory, but it's all I've got! =)

Does anyone have any insight on this matter?
  • mrjust1mrjust1 Member Posts: 2
    Got my GV back after 2 wks being at the dealership. They finally tracked down the squeak in it. After pulling their hair out they finally discovered it was the hood. After really getting the squeak going good they slowed down to a crawl and took a chance. The popped the hood and it stopped immediately. The pulled over, closed it and it was back. They made an adjustment to the hood and that took care of it. Mine is a 99 with 14K on it, other than this squeak and an A/C drain plug problem I have had no problems.
  • danl1danl1 Member Posts: 5
    Dan127: There's an interesting press release on the Suzuki Canada site.
    "With the arrivals of new Korean entries, who have adopted price driven strategies, Suzuki plans to rise above their competition, by raising the brand Suzuki. Their goal is to make a connection with consumers solely based on the fact that Suzuki automobiles are built better than they need to be."
    http://www.suzuki.ca/en/pr.htm
    The Suzuki marketing phrase for this year is "Suzuki. Engineered Beyond Belief."

I've noticed a few other differences betweeen US/Canadian specs. 2WD and remote keyless entry aren't available in Canada. The Canadian accessories catalog has some chrome items in the pictures but notes that these aren't available. They are probably available in Japan or other markets.

Most of the Canadian accessories are listed at this link:
    http://www.suzuki.ca/en/auto/gv-custo.htm
    I've seen the wood trim set at my dealer. It is a 9 piece set that snaps on over the current trim. With the current US/Cdn exchange rate, it might just be worthwhile to get some stuff from Canada. Maybe I should start a web business to sell Canadian accessories to Americans. :)
  • kellybkellyb Member Posts: 23
    If it scratches less easily than the plastic, I'd sure give the wood trim a try.

Kelly B
    '99JLX+, 5 speed, 18,800 mi
  • jriley5jriley5 Member Posts: 5
    I just got back from my garage (not the Suzuki dealer garage), $618 poorer. I had noticed vibrations while driving, particularly in the 45-55 mph range, getting worse and worse. My mechanic has faithfully rotated tires (car now has 15K miles)and said the tires were "chunking". My understanding of chunking (from him) is they have a wavy surface, not a completely round one. Anyway today I went in for an alignment because vibrations getting worse and felt through steering wheel. Tire dealer and my mechanic drove ti and decided that the tires were no good - the original Bridgestone tires that came with the car. They said although Bridgestone DOES make a good tire, the tires that come with the GV are about the worst of what they manufacture. Although these tires still had a lot of tread on them, they were basically "goners" after only 15K. They said basically the tire was not suited well to the car in addition to being cheap. They recommended I put on Michelins and boy, what a difference!! But with a price of $139 each, I find myself very irritated that I have to replace the (junk) tires that come with an otherwise great car - why doesn't Suzuki put something decent on up front? By the way, there is still a little vibration in the 45-55 mph range but I understand the Suzuki garage has said this is due to the drive chain (rather than a rubber one) and natural for this car....watch those Bridgestones!
    You know, I have done a lot of reading and almost EVERYTHING has pointed to the quality of the tires that come with the car. At first I thought it was just hard-core off-roading aficionados. But I am learning (too quickly) that the tires are the persistent complaint of GV owners...

Is there ANYONE who disagrees with the rest of the pack? I am disturbed to hear about this, because it could potentially be dangerous.

My final question is, even with this problem (list others if you wish), do you feel your purchase was worth it? (It would help in the decision making process of GV vs. CRV).
    Another thing I forgot to ask- is it hard to find tires that fit the GV? I read somewhere that the specifications for tire size were a rare find.
    I had heard "rumors" that Bridgestone were "marginal tires, depending on what you got. I guess, just naively, I assumed that a NEW car would have decent tires, but this is just not the case today (and Suzuki isn't the only one...) My mechanic was quick to point out that he couldn't find anything wrong with the tread - that they appeared safe, but because of the "chunking", he felt the quality was definitely subpar and the cause of the vibrations. On your other questions, I,too, do a LOT of reading and checking before any major purchase and my research paid-off - the GV is a very GOOD value as per the reviews and I am very happy with it except for the tire issue. Even my mechanic said what a well-built car it was, to quote, "You couldn't ask for a better little rig than that." I have had a LOT of compliments on it (have the Planet Gold) and am very pleased. In fact, we're thinking of getting a second for my wife. I juust wish Suzuki would address the tire issue, and no, it doesn't seem to be a problem to find the right tire size. I live in a town of 17,000 and the local tire guy had 'em right off.

I'm sure the CRV is a nice car, but I didn't want to pay all the extra for the name and with much less power.
    There have been several posts around 200 to 250 about the quality of the OEM tires. For what it is worth, the OEM tires that came with my 1995 GMC Jimmy lasted only about 20K miles. And that was on a $30K vehicle. So if you get 15K miles from an OEM set on a $20K vehicle, you are still coming out ahead.

Jriley5, which Michelin did you purchase? Also, has anyone else tried Continental CH95 Grand Touring tires?
    I too, notice a humming sound at around 60 mph. It's definitely there but I only find it mildly annoying. It seems to disappear going about 67 mph or over.

Gone2sea - I'll check the Michelin tires for specs. and report back later (today, hopefully). They ride is much smoother and are also quieter. By the way, if you buy 4 Michelins right now, you get a free emergency road kit (have to send for it)that my mechanic said looked great (had one at the tire store on display) and worth over $100. Helps to make one feel better about paying $139/tire!

As a note, when I was complaining to my mechanic that the car only had 15K on it and the tires couldn't be shot already, his son, also a mechanic working there, overheard and said, "those Bridgestones are junk tires." His father said "no, not all Bridgestones are crappy." and the son rejoined, "that particular one is crappy - I've seen a lot of problems with them. They make a few good tires but this isn't one of them"

Other than this stuff, very happy with my GV. Just installed front window visors/windshields (which will keep the rain from dripping inside the car) and the roof rack crossbars (and I agree, the instructions are terrible!)

Hope all this helps...
    Gone2sea: Specs on the Michelin tires I just bought for my GV:

Radial XSE 99T
    P235/60R16
    Max. psi: 35lbs.

Hope it helps!
    Thanks for the information on the Michelin tires. I know about the $100 safety kit offer but I only have about 2200 miles and buying the GV itself was enough for this year (I hope). I will be interested to read how these tires handle in heavy rain and/or snow of any kind.

Thanks again.
    Gone2sea, you'll find they're remarkably good in the snow, though after the OEM's are about half gone, they'll start to hydroplane at ridiculously low speed.

I've got 19K on my GV, and the original tires are about half worn. Have had snow only once, this year, and they still did okay. Slush and moderate rain, however, make for some scary moments, even at speeds as low as 40 mph. The truck is really too small and light for tires this wide, plus, the tread pattern is much too tight. It needs some big circumferential grooves...or an all-terrain pattern.

Kelly B
    '99 JLX+, 5 speed, 19k miles
    Would you consider/recommend P225/60R16 as an alternative to the P235 OEM size?
    Thanks for the tire information. Good luck with dropping the 30 or 31 inch tires in. Sounds neat idea but my better half would probably have other comments if I ever did that.
    Fortunately for me, my wife likes going hard-core 4 wheelin' as much as I do, maybe more. Plus, as it is essentially my commuter car, I pretty much get to do with it what I want.

Oh, and I was inspecting my tires today while getting gas. At 19,111 miles, three of them are within 5,000 miles, maybe less, of the wear bars. Not good. Calmini better get going on lifts and whatnot, because I don't want to have to comprimise on tire height.

Kelly B
  • hspragenshspragens Member Posts: 1
    Didn't I see a picture on some vendor website of a Vitara with a body lift? It was a very minor variation on the 4-door Sidekick kit. Now you got me curious, I'll have to go looking again.
    I know there were pictures in the August issue or 4x4 Power (I think it was that mag), with lifts done by Calmini and someone else. I wish I'd gotten it, now.

If you find it, let us know.

Kelly B
    I complained to the Suzuki garage about the ridiculousness of new tires lasting just 15K and my having to replace them. I got a call back, along with a lecture frm the saleman, that I should have called them first, etc. etc., so they could check the tires (depsite the garage not being open on Sat. & Sun and me working 75 miles away from there...) Anyway, the service department is bringing the issue to their District Manager to see if Suzki will back it (even though they said it's Bridgestone's problem - yeah, right, but the upshot is they're willing to listen. I had to fax all my maintenance records (rotations, alignments, etc.) to them. We'll see. I'll write an update when I know...
    Well, the dealer doesn't seem to have checked for the rather obvious squeak coming from what seems like the dashboard area, so I started experimenting myself. A few commutes had me convinced it wasn't something inside, even though it sounded like someone was rubbing two pieces of styrofoam together. I decided to try one last thing...I popped the hood. The noise stopped immediately. I stopped, jumped out, closed the hood, and it came right back after the first bump. So, I tried it again, mid-squeak by a stroke of luck, and it stopped again as soon as I pulled the hood release.

Now all I have to figure out is how to stop it. Anyone actually manage to have this fixed?

Kelly B
    '99 JLX+, 5 speed, 19,300 miles
    Kellyb,

My Jimmy did this at 10,000 miles. Fixed it by adjusting hood levelers (one on each side of the hood towards the front of the vehicle). Try spraying silicon spray on the four rubber gaskets first. If that's not enough, adjust levelers in a parking lot with speed bumps (instant bump). Mechanic did quarter turn change, closed hood, and drove over two speed bumps. Process was repeated until squeaks gone. Took some doing but worked. Key was adjusting hood so wind could not get in under hood on either side and cause it to vibrate enough to jostle rubber leveler gaskets back and forth. While I didn't get a squeak on GV, I checked hood on each side with a micrometer and adjusted it so both sides were same height. Also set hood a little lower than fender on each side. Lastly, if you can't lower the hood much, try adjusting levelers just to get them equal.
    I don't have hood squeaks in my 99 GV, but when I test drove the machine, I noticed that one side of the hood vibrated up and down while the other side didn't. After the drive, I found the levelers that gone2sea talked about above, and screwed the one side up until the hood stopped vibrating. Only problem then was that that side of the hood was above the side body panel by about 3/8 of an inch, and that looked stupid.

After buying the machine, I moved the leveler back to its orignal position, then I grabbed the open hood and twisted it hard and down into the loose side. I then shut the hood, and it matched both levelers, an both sides are even with the body panels.

Something certainly is weird with the hood fit from the factory, but the hard twist solved it for me--no more problems with a vibrating hood and it's level with the panels.

swest
  • moschetfmoschetf Member Posts: 3
    I had read almost every entry in the old Grand Vitara forum, test drove both the Honda CRV and the Suzuki GV, and I happy to report I just purchased my new 2000 Silver Grand Vitara JLX+, I've only got 100 miles on it so far but I love it already. I have to admit afer reading some of the complaints from owners I was somewhat skeptical, but the good press and deal I got were to good to pass up. The only slight annoyance is one I had read about in some previous posts: at highway speeds 50 mph and above, it sounds like the windows are open just a hair and wind is rushing in, even though of course all the windows are shut tight. Has anyone else come across this and more importantly is there a fix. My only other main concern before purchasing the GV was its lack of cargo space, but now I read future 2000 and/or 2001 models may remedy this. I not sure wether to be happy or pissed off. What if I really like my present truck and I trade up to a new roomier model and it sucks. I guess I could have waited antoher 6 months or so before buying, but i didn't see the point...until now. Well I monitor the future developments of the GV and see what happens. Thanks to all for your great input.
    Funny, 'cause I adjusted my hood stops the day after purchase, to make the hood even, and to stop the vibration at 65+ mph. Now, I haven't re-opened the hood since experimenting last Thursday, and no squeaks since.

I need to get some silicone spray, thanks for the tip.

Kelly B
    '99 JLX+, 5 sp, 19,500 mi.
  • dawingzdawingz Member Posts: 3
    I would like to install a security system with remote start. Any recommendations? Should I get the dealer option (is there one?) or an aftermarket system?
  • venusvenus Member Posts: 2
    I am really pleased with the Clifford alarm system that was installed (aftermarket by a very reputable dealer). It has some hi-tech features that are supposed to foil even the most sophisticated burglars. Mine is the Sabre II.
    This is a bit off topic, but I opted for no electronic security system for our GV. Instead, I attach a Club to the steering wheel. Isn't the Club better than an electronic system at a much much lower price? It's a pain to store for sure.

I guess I'm asking how a thief goes about stealing a car with a Club--does he just cut the steering wheel?

swest
    Swest, the thief can either cut the wheel, I've seen demonstrations in which it takes less than 15 seconds to saw through the wheel, or use Freon to spray the lock, which will easily shatter when hit with a solid object.

Kelly B
  • dawingzdawingz Member Posts: 3
    I had a friend who had his car stolen. When he came out in the morning all he saw was the club lying on the ground... A theif can beat any system I suppose the trick is to make it more difficult to steal than your neighbors'...

Venus: Do you mind saying how much you paid and where you got it?
  • edisonlascanoedisonlascano Member Posts: 1
    Have any of you guys had a problem shifting your GV from 2H to 4H? According to the manual, I should be able to do it as long as my wheels are straight and I am under 60MPH. But it also has a note that "if it is too difficult to shift between 2H and 4H while the vehicle is moving, stop the vehicle and operate the transfer lever." I tried it last night in the pouring rain and it was pretty hard to shift from 2H to 4H while moving. If I stopped the vehicle, no problem. After shifting it once, it was easy to shift back and forth even while driving. Could it be that it is supposed to resist the first time you shift? Although, I can't figure out why? Or is it that the shifter needs to wear a little before catching real good? This is the first time I try shifting to 4H since getting the GV. I did notice that the dealer also had a problem shifting the GV that I test drove.

I figure, if I have to stop the vehicle to go from 2H to 4H, this defeats the purpose of "Shift on the Fly", no?

Your responses will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ed
  • venusvenus Member Posts: 2
    I'm not ignoring the request for more info on the security system - I have responded to dawing privately so I don't bore everyone with details. Long and short - I don't know how much a Clifford alarm system costs because I had ordered a different one - my dealer installed the Clifford (an upgrade from my order)because he was out of stock on the one I had ordered - but charged me the original price. I don't think this happens often! I did find the Clifford site yesterday at http://www.clifford.com and see that they have a lot of detail on the Sabre II.

Re.: the sticky lever. I have had to use the 4WH a bit over the last 24 hours. Miserable weather here in Ontario, Canada. The lever is, I believe, designed so that it offers a bit of a challenge to get it into 4WH - so that you don't accidentally go into 4W gear. But, it shouldn't be as stiff as you describe, Ed. Now that I've had it in and out of gear a few times, the lever seems to be loosening up. I'm sure the same thing will happen for you. Last night, I went into 4WH at about 40 m/h with no trouble at all.
  • fsumom28fsumom28 Member Posts: 7
    My 1999 GV (which I really do love) has had major problem with vibration and it wasn't just the tires. Had to replace driveshaft, differential, all four tires and turn the rotors and drums on the brakes. A/C leaked into passenger side (about 1/2")and the acceleration is really bad now...no one else having these problems??
  • akashinoakashino Member Posts: 36
    fsumom28,

I have the vibration. Did yours finally get fixed with all the stuff they've done???

I need to know a few things:
    How bad is the vibe and where did you feel it coming from?
    At what speeds did you feel it?
    What State or Province are you in?
    Who was the dealer who worked on it?

Thanx !!!!
    Personally, I think the vibration is caused by the mediocre tires fitted to the GV. You can replace parts to your hearts content and it might not solve the problem, because the parts *aren't* the problem. Could be as simple as the GV being more sensitive to wheel balance than the dealer's balancing machine is capable of. What I mean is, if the GV is sensitive to say, a half an ounce of being out of balance, but the dealer's balancing machine is accurate only to a whole ounce, there's the problem, and it'll never be fixed, or figured out...by the dealer. Same thing with tires, if they're replaced with new, but identical, Headstone Duelers, then the problem won't go away. The GV I test drove, which wasn't the one I bought, had a terrible shake with only 200 miles on it. That isn't enough time to wear a tire 'funny' on a new car, it's manufacturing or balancing defect. My GV, however, hasn't ever been bad enough to complain, but it's still noticable on occasion. I have noticed odd tire wear on the left-front corner, excessive wear on the inside of the tread. Obviously, an alignment is called for, even though I've never had to align a car more often than every 50,000 miles, or so. Probably wasn't right from the factory.

From what I've heard, a couple of folks have gone to different tires, and the vibes went away immediately. Might be because the tire place they used had better balancing equipment, or the tires are better. Either way, a differential is highly unlikely to cause vibration. Gear whine? You betcha. Just ask any Grand Cherokee or Suburban owner... ;-)

If you still have vibes after they've replaced the tires, suggest they send you to Discount Tire, or wherever, and let you get something other than the OEM tires.

Kelly B
    '99 JLX+, 19,750 miles
  • akashinoakashino Member Posts: 36
    Thanks Kelly, but already tried new tires (Yoko's) and balancing from a racing shop that the dealer knew. What else... oh yeah, rotation, alignment, even tried new rims just for the heck of it. They've replaced bushings and even took the driveshaft out and had it balanced.

The vibe is remarkably less than what I had before, but it is still there.

Waiting to see what's next.
    Well, you've replaced/checked just about everything it could be. I wonder if, because of the mass of the large tires and wheels, if the GV is in need of a steering damper. I know Grand Cherokee's have 'em, though they use a completely different front suspension design.

At least we don't have the infamous 'death wobble'. This is a situation when after hitting a hole or bump at highway speed, the front wheels occilate uncontrollably. Scary stuff, though not life threatening, as long as the driver doesn't panic.

I guess the only large rotating components left are front axles, and it probably isn't those. I wonder if there could be a wheel bearing problem, causing the slightest amount of play. Highly unlikely, but you never know.

I think it would help if we asked the owners of Trackers and regular Vitaras to see if their trucklets suffer from the same malady. They have smaller wheel/tire combos. I'll see if I can round any up.

Kelly
    The dealer replaced all four tires with Michelin..still didn't cure it. They have the GV
    back in their shop now...Vibes at 55-70, if you can get to 80 it will stop..don't like to drive that fast for long periods on the interstate. They said it was the drive shaft that caused the differential to go bad...loud roaring noise in the rear of the vehicle, quit after replacing the differential. Now, I believe I have a problem with the transmission..doesn't have the same shift pattern or acceleration that the other ones I have driven have. In fact, we are driving a rental GV (paid for by Suzuki) and it is totally different than mine. Met with District Manager from Suzuki yesterday...have filed lemon law papers and they are "supposedly" fixing it "again"
    Like Akashino said...what's next???
    Sorry, I forgot to tell you, I am in Florida, and my dealer was Ed Morse Auto Plaza in Port Richey.
    They have been very good with the service, and Suzuki responded extremely fast to my filing the papers, but I am just not satisfied with the performance of the vehicle. Like to keep a car for a while, don't think this one will make it.
    fsumom28, is yours an automatic or a 5-speed manual?

Sorry to hear about the diff and driveshaft problems. Sounds like a universal joint went bad on you, either partially seizing, or maybe even cracking. Definitely unusual for a new car.

Oh, and I was noticing last night, the right combo of bumps still makes the front-end of my GV shimmy a bit. What with everything y'all have replaced, I fear it may be either a suspension design flaw or incorrect suspension bushing materials (could be too stiff or too soft). Maybe, when they finally figure it out, there will be a recall.

Kelly
    My car is an automatic...they replaced some type of bushing at the very beginning of trying to stop the vibration when they balanced the drive shaft. When that didn't work is when they decided to put in a new one...then the differential was bad..loud roaring noise in the rear of the car. I am afraid it is a design problem, so my concern now is do I take another GV or ask for a refund? Under the Lemon Law in Florida you have your choice. I really do like the car's design and size, but wonder if all the cars are the same.
    I've got just under 20,000 miles on mine, in the first seven months of ownership. Been back to the dealer only once and that was for a leaky rear axle seal and some truly minor trim problems. Sounds like you got a bad one, possibly made worse by a clueless dealer.

I recommend, if you really like the car (truck), give it another shot.

Kelly
    It's common for vehicles which are stiffly sprung, using a 'live' rear axle. Almost all trucks have this characteristic, and I remember mid-80's Mustang GT's doing the same thing. I agree that it can be unsettling, but it really isn't dangerous, unless you're going too fast into a wet, bumpy turn. My old Grand Cherokee, having live axles both front and rear, tended to jump with the front and rear wheels. Now *that* was creepy.

Kelly B
    '99 JLX+, 19,800 mi
  • moschetfmoschetf Member Posts: 3
    I've only had my 2000 GV JLX+ for ~3 weeks, and have less than 300 miles. I'm grateful I'm not having any of the vibration problems I've been reading about, so my problem may seem trivial to others.

But that damn wind-noise at highway speeds is driving me crazy (sounds like the windows are open a tiny bit but they are closed tight), is it a design flaw that that I have to live with or is there something that can be done. ANY information would be greatly appreciated.
    I have a little wind roar, probably caused by the wrap-around water channels on the windshield. On the up-side, you can wash the windshield with the windows open. On my wife's Intrepid, the same move gets you a soaked left arm.

You might want to have the door alignment checked out by the dealer. If it isn't just right, the door might not seal tightly against the 'A' pillar.

Kelly B
    to moschetf: Our GV has about 6kmi on it. There is very little to no wind noise to speak of.

Also our minor vibration was cured by moving both front wheels to the rear. I expect I'll have to take up the issue with the dealer after the next tire rotation. Sounds like the Dueler tire issue...

swest