Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord (1976-1989) Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    Try the parts bin:
    http://www.thepartsbin.com/

Regards,
    Corkscrew
  • adams135adams135 Member Posts: 3
    Guys … I want to thank you for taking the time to give me your thoughts and suggestions. Want you to know I really appreciate all of them.

Thegraduate .. will remember that tip … I cut the AC on so the fans would work and that didn’t seem to help .. will try the heat next time (although I am afraid to get too fat from home with it now).

Chucko3 … DO’t think it is the Rad Cap since I can feel pressure on the rad hose (a trick I learned years ago to keep from getting scalded by opening a Rad that was hot and had pressure on it.

Kiawah ….. I can’t tell you how much I hope you’ve right (i.e no money to speak of ). Will have to see.

I suspect the fans don’t come on because it is not really as hot as the gauge states ..

On another thread someone mentioned headlights … they had one where the gauge did that when the headlights were on (wiring harness?) Since I use them during the day (I like people to see me) this is a slim … remote .. possibility.

Haven’t driven the car since I entered my plea for help. Will have to try tomorrow.

Again … thanks for all your suggestions.
  • oliverj3oliverj3 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, everyone. I need to change my 1987DX, 2.0L headgasket (168K miles). I've done this job on older American cars/trucks lots of times, but I couldn't even change the fuel filter on the 1994 Honda (just could'nt get a wrench on it!). I've been scared of newer cars ever since. White smoke pours out the exhaust pipe, and I use a radiator of coolant for every tank of gas...pretty sure I need a head gasket. Can the intake manifold be left attached to the head? Is the timing gear keyed to the shaft, etc? Just how awful is this job? Any guidance will be much appreciated. Thanks
  • jhicks1jhicks1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1988 accord dx. It has around 200,000 miles, but a good portion of them are tow miles. On my way home from work, doing about 75mph, it just died. No warning, no noise, just died. It sat on the side of the road until that evening when i towed it on a car dolly about 15 miles. When i stopped, i noticed smoke coming from the hood of the car. The coil had melted a hole in itself from the inside out. The key was on Acc, so the flashers would work but thats it. I replaced the coil, car started right up and ran fine for about 40 miles then Just died again. It still turns over fine, just wont start. Any help please!!
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    Did you check to see you still have spark in case the new coil was defective?

Mrbill
  • 0chuck0chuck Member Posts: 2
    Punching the gas pedal revs up the engine, then the idle goes low and oscilates widely, but below higher rate. Once I go again I have to repeat the procedure. Causing excessive brake wear, and results in poor gas milage.
  • 0chuck0chuck Member Posts: 2
    Problem solved. The idle adjustment screw was completely loose! Cleaned with carb cleaner and screwed it all the way in. Runs like a top again. :)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Glad you solved it!! Thanks for letting us know the solution.
  • sean123sean123 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have a 1988 honda accord lxi, 2.0 litter, 5 manual speed. One day my after driving it to the store and back I realized that my rpm was staying at around 2 even when I was stopping and not pressing on the gas (but the engine sounded like I'm stepping on the gas). After a couple of days of driving white smoke started to come out of the exhaust. The smoke is coming after I start driving for a while, not when I start the car, especially on third gear. It happens often when I'm stuck in traffic and the car is hot. It lasts for a while but after driving it at a higher speed it goes away. The smoke smells pretty bad and it's very choky. Can anyone tell me what could be the problem? And how much it would cost to fix? Thank you very much.
  • student4lifestudent4life Member Posts: 1
    i have a 88 honda accord, carbeurated, automatic. once and a while when i turn the key (the starter has just been replaced) the lights on the dash light up, but nothing else happens. every other time i turn it over it fires up like a new car. when it wont start, i shake the car a little, and then it usually fires up. once it didnt no matter what i did, and i had it towed to the local shop, then it started for them every time, no matter what they did. could it be a loose wire?
    Nex time it happens, shift the car into neutral and try starting it. My 88 used to have starting problems but only when cold. The safety switch must be sticking, but I got rid of the car before I replaced the switch.

Mrbill
  • chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    I don't know what the problem is. But you can check to see if oil or coolant got burnt. White smoke seems like coolant is burning.
  • AtheyAthey Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Recently while driving my car gave in and died. After a stressful week and a few at home mechanics we finally pinpointed the problem to be that my timing belt snapped. This would not be to much of a problem but we were informed that the 89 accord lxi contains an interfering motor. kindly letting us know that the pistons may be knocked around and that it appeared they were.

I do not know where to go with this vehicle now, I bought it for 1.2 k and i was wondering what repairs would be or if i should just scrap it at a salvage yard for some cash back. Your reply would be MUCH appreciated. Thank you.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Oh wow... sounds like it'd be better to start with a fresh vehicle; you'll likely spend more than the car is worth trying to fix it.
  • dragonfre26dragonfre26 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having trouble with my 89 Honda Accord and I know it's with the fuel system. I have replaced the fuel pump, both filters, and the main relay. The only way the car will start is if you jumper the main relay. Then if you start it within an hour or so it's fine. But after it sits overnight, it will turn over, but not start. It seems that the pump is losing it's prime but I'm not sure what to do about it. Any ideas?
  • poboy2poboy2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1989 Honda Accord LX with a carb. The car runs good but idles high (2000 rpm). What I found was there was no vacumn coming through the line that attaches to the choke/fast Idle pull off. Therefore, it will not allow the fast idle to come off without some hands on intervention. My question is, the vacumn line that feeds the choke/fast idle pull off goes into the black control box on the passenger side of the car. There are also many other vacumn lines that feed into it.

Does anyone know about servicing the vacumn control box? Are there serviceable parts inside? I have a haynes manual and it does not have zip about this. Any other suggestions? I don't mind replacing parts that need to be replaced but I sure hate to dump money on parts that don't need replacing.

Thanks

poboy2
  • SeattleBSeattleB Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,
    My first time on your site. I have a 1989 Honda Accord LXI, and I'll never part with it.
    It has 240k+ miles on it. Its never been to a repair shop, not since I've owned it in the 10+years. When I start the car the tac bounces around 2-3 -4 k,while idling to warm it up. Even on the highway at 65mph I look and see the tac bouncing all over the place. At this time 3,4,5 k. Anyone have any Ideal what that's about? Car runs fine, smooth and steady, not missing, no loss of power. Thank you for your time in this matter. Seattle B
  • mjswansmjswans Member Posts: 1
    I had this problem on a 89 LXi I purchased this last August, among other things that were wrong. I put a new ignitor and pick up module in the distributor and a new coil on the car trying to get the PGMI light to extinguish. I changed all these at the same time and the tachometer settled down, but the PGMI light stayed on and I could not get the car through our Enviromental test in Portland. These parts came to about $150. I eventually installed a rebuilt distributor that I got off of ebay for $155 and I finally got the car to pass the DEQ tests well within the limits for it. I wish I had started with the distributor. I am not sure which part got the tack working, but it could be a sing of part of the ignition system is going to fail. Hope this helps.
  • Savior1988Savior1988 Member Posts: 2
    hey man, I couldnt help but laugh at your problem, I have a honda accord Lxi 5 speed and ur problem is very easy to fix. first take disconnect your battery and take it out. now reach under there right next to your headlamp and there should be a green wire its got a flat plastic head on the end and theres a seperate peice that it fits into. make sure that is fully connected and u should start up right away. you probably when over a nasty bump and disconnected it.
    Btw I had the same problem took me 2 months to figure it out
    if that doesnt work i cant help you but good luck.
  • Savior1988Savior1988 Member Posts: 2
    Hello
    I have a 1988 horda accord Lxi 5 speed. It starts up and runs, however when i disconnect power from the battery it dies instantly, it seems like the alternator isnt taking a charge, and i have recently replaced it with a brand new one. Maybe a bad connection somewhere?? Please help!!!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well first off you shouldn't be doing that with an alternator. They don't like that, having no ground.

But presuming you haven't damaged the new one, what you need to do is get a voltmeter on the battery and rev the engine and see if you're even charging at all.

If not, then take the alternator off and have it bench tested and/or exhanged under warranty.
  • 87AccordS87AccordS Member Posts: 2
    Okay so I can't complain too much as it was free but I had a rough day thanks to my 87 Accord S.

So I have recently inherited (from a friend of a friend not a dead family member) a 1987 Accord S (hatchback) that has sat for roughly 2 years. I've done an oil change, air filter, checked the rad fluids, new battery, etc. and everything looks to be in working order.

However, when I attempted to drive it home tonight after putting all the work in at my place of employment the car began to sputter, and then subsequently die. At first I thought scuzzy gas but now that the car has virtually no battery power left I'm wondering - does it need a new alternator? it sounds like it wants to turn over, and with a jump you can get it going but it dies the moment you attempt to step on the gas.

Thoughts? Oh and it has roughly 170,000kms (about 105,000 miles) the car had been running fine a week before, but I'd only had it running for about 30 mins or so.

Thanks
  • renee18renee18 Member Posts: 2
    Was driving my car when I heard a wyne then my car lost 5th gear, I shifted to 4th gear and the passenger tire locked up on me. We cranked it the next day and it went in to gear, but would not stay in reverse, wanted to pop out.
    Any help?? I really need it.
    Thanks
  • broke56broke56 Member Posts: 1
    My 1989 Honda Accord LXI will not shift into 5th gear. I can shift into all other gears including reverse with no problems. When shifting from 4th to 5th gear there is not any resistance when going from neutral into 5th gear. I can push on the shift lever hard and there is a tiny bit of grinding but all other gears there is not a noise. It feels like the linkage for 5th gear came undone. Prior to the lost of linkage, if I came to a stop with it still in 5th gear it would be stuck and I would have to let out the clutch to disengage it from 5th gear. If some one who knows how the linkage works or can direct me to a diagram of the internals of the linkage to see how to repair the problem I would appreciate it. Going form neutral into reverse is no problem. Thank you for the help. :confuse:
  • beenthere1beenthere1 Member Posts: 1
    you drove while low on tranny oil and lost 5th gear. it is gone. I have been driving for 3 years without it
  • donald76donald76 Member Posts: 3
    my 89 honda accord has a rough idle I was driving the other day and all of a sudden the car missed fired and it acted like it wanted to kill but it kept running so then it started to run rough since and now it wont stay running what is the problem I changed the spark plugs and now it still has the rough idle but it stays running
    there is one filter located by the master cylinder and the other is located under neath the car about two feet from the gas tank
    change the fuel filter because its leaking
  • longorialongoria Member Posts: 1
    I seen your email, I just wanted to know if you got your problem resolved. I have a 89 honda and when I start my car it idles up to 2000 rpm after a while it goes back down. Then when I'm driving it it's ok but when I reach a stop and put on neutral it does it again. I would apreciate if you would help me with my problem.

Thank You, Longoria
  • 87AccordS87AccordS Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I've got a 1987 Accord S (hatchback) that some lowlife smashed out the driver's side window. I understand there are two different sizes of glass for this car - so how do I know which one it is?

Secondly, anybody got a spare they want to part with in Vancouver, BC? lol :)

Thanks,
    Justin
  • renee18renee18 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I had the same problem on one of my hondas. You need to get it timmed . Then it will be just fine.
    R
  • joe206joe206 Member Posts: 1
    I was drivin around the other day when i noticed a very loose loose steering whel with in a matter of seconds i believe the drivers side control arm snapped....seconds later the car was leaking tranny fluid atleast a litre ....im just wondering if that makes any sense .....and if it would be worth it to fix ... i paid 350 canadian and i put on over 50 kms.....so could the motion of the car and the snapping of the control arm could it punture the tranny or just a hose???? help me out somebody

joe
    toronto ,ont
    If something did break, it may have allowed the axle to pull out of the tranny. If it did pull out, you would loose fluid.

Mrbill
  • SeattleBSeattleB Member Posts: 3
    Ty for the help mjswans
    seattle b :)
  • les19les19 Member Posts: 2
    Have a honda 1989 accord fuel inj 2 litre. My problem is when you take off it is very sluggish the revs are normal but the car doesnt want to go .When the revs get higher the car then takes off and flys ,it hesitates occasionally when at 80 and over but runs beautiful,its only in low gear that it has problems .It idols ok but when you put you foot down and give it a quick rev it then hesitates and jumps a bit. If you hit it again it might stall .I replaced the main air valve it had no ball that helped a little but still having this problem. When it gets hot if you stop it you usually cant start it for a while .I thought fuel at first changed filter and pump but no change. any ideas Im all out
  • vajeeper1vajeeper1 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased an '89 Honda Accord knowing that the 5th gear was inoperable. Other than this, the car is actually in pretty good shape. Was wondering if anyone has worked on this themselves; it is possible to repair this without a lot of grief or is it better to simply look for another tranny, and if so, where? Greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions.
  • circuitsmithcircuitsmith Member Posts: 117
    You probably need to replace the distributor if it's the original.
  • honda_lover1honda_lover1 Member Posts: 6
    I recently purchased an 89 accord and for some reason my overdrive doesn't work can I fix it? plus mileage is absolutely horrible...any suggestions? it is an automatic, but I did own a 92 accord as well and I did get a lot better mpg than this one...this one works out to approximately 22-24 mpg...Can someone pls let me know if anyone has any suggestions? Thanks muchly...By the way I have replaced many parts already the only thing I have not done was to change tranny fluid, but like I said everything else is done such as timming belt, water pump, plugs, etc...
  • honda_lover1honda_lover1 Member Posts: 6
    http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html

this is a free site and u can print out manuals as well they are the factory manuals for them, they go into full detail about everything...check it out....found this and my husband loves it and praises it This is the type of manual that only Honda dealers would have...
  • tnesbitttnesbitt Member Posts: 1
    I have not driven my Honda Accord Dx in almost three years, but did crank it up on occasion. Yesterday I decided to put it back on the road, I purchased spark plugs and wires, thermostat, cleaned out the radiator and changed the oil. Test drove it and notice every time I stopped the car I cut off, when driving it, it drives fine until I stop. My car drove fine before I quit driving it.
    Can someone help me!
    You didn't mention anything about the gas? Old gas can cause many problems. Something may have gummed up in the carb. If it was my car, I would try and remove as much gas as I can, add fresh fuel with a high dose of carb cleaner. There is alot of linkages on the carbs of old Accords, move as many as you can by hand to make sure things seem to be free. If not, you may want to spray them with carb cleaner.

Look around the engine to see if any critters did any damage. I've seen mice chew thru just about anything. They may have created a hole in a vacuum line.

Mrbill
  • austin442austin442 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 84 accord and it ran great. but a week ago i started to die after occasionally and and now will not run. the fuel pump does not run or get any voltage. i pulled out the pump and tested it with a 12 volts straight off the battery and then it ran. so i looked into the relay and tried jumping the it by connecting the top 2 wires still no power. i also checked the fuse and that was good. does anyone know what this could be?

alos in the process trying to find the relay i was jumping the wrong relay and shorted it what ever that relay ran it was blue and the only relay you can see without removing the fuse box anyone know what that is for.
  • tjrrtjrr Member Posts: 23
    Austin,

My car had a similar problem and it took me more than one year to determine the cause.

In this forum, go to message #167 for a description of my problem and go to message #222 for my resolution.
    Sounds like broken wire running from the relay to the fuel pump.

The blue relay could be wipers, headlight motors or rear defroster. See if they work.

Certainly it's not the ignition coil.
    thank you for the help with the relay
    and it was the ignition coil i replaced it this weekend and it runs like a champ
    Doh! I had it set in my mind your 84 was the same generation as my 88 Accord.

The ignition and fuel pump circuits are quite different between the two.
  • tjrrtjrr Member Posts: 23
    Austin, as I described in my problem / resolution - was your tachometer needle bouncing around also? Glad to know the my info helped.
    no i had no issues with the tac. but now less than 20 miles later it started to kill again thius had been a issue in the past but had subsided in the last while. under a whole new set of ways. when i am driving or whenever the car will kill about once every three miles. and more often when it is cold. i can crank it over all i want and it will not start but if i turn the car completely off and then crank it over it starts right up. i was suspicious of the vac lines but when i looked at them they all seam to be in great shape. there is one vacuum operated item mounted on the distributor that has gunk all over it could that be part of the issue? where else could i look?
  • ihx10000ihx10000 Member Posts: 1
  • yannnick127yannnick127 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I had a bad thermostat, with lead to run with no water, broke the radiator so I over heated the engine.... Now the engine as a big loss of power but I don't see any sign of blown head gasket. The car does not smoke white, no unsual color on the spark plugs or sign of water in the engine. I cannot find out what is wrong. Anyone had a suggestion?

thx a lot