Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord (1990-1993) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• typebluetypeblue Member Posts: 5
    i have a 92 honda accord automatic. the sportsshift has been on permanently since i got the car. recently the sport shift light flashes off and on, and the car will get stuck in park. then when it is put in reverse it makes a loud klunk. the car has also lost power when taking off. could it be the shift solenoid or internal?
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    It's that time of year again. The extreme heat in the summer time can kill a transmission computer. This link should help you to determine if it's the computer, the "S" switch, or the tranny itself.
    http://techauto.awardspace.com/transmission.html
    PS: I thought the "sportshift" was only on the 90, 91 models. :confuse: Sure you don't have a 90 or 91? If it has the automatic seatbelts, it's not a 92.
  • davehondadavehonda Member Posts: 17
    I have only 22000 miles on it..Pessenger side window rattle slightly whenever I hit a pot hole or something or go over bumps. Is this a serious issue? It is happening only on the driver side. Dealership is asking $108 for diagnose the problem. I said that my car is still under warranty but they say they can't tell and have to bring the car to them to figure out if it is still under warranty? Is this normal.

the title says 92 but yes it does have automatic seat belts. on top of that. today when the car was put into reverse...the whole motor jerked hard and made a loud noise. i have already taken the console out around the shift knob and sprayed some lube on everything in there so...
  • suecoxsuecox Member Posts: 1
    My local mechanic says bad AT Control Unit 28100-pxo-732 3ex caused the transmission to go bad. Does anyone know if I can have the AT Control (computer) Unit rebuilt? A new one from Honda is $570.28 :( I called Honda 800-999-1009 and there are no recall notices on the part. Thank you in advance for your time.
  • jazzchazjazzchaz Member Posts: 19
    90 accord LX....does anyone know if replacement headlamp (exterior) lenses are available in the aftermarket? thank you!
  • FukuyamaFukuyama Member Posts: 75
    go on ebay, and get a rebuilt on. There are many messages here with the same topic...check mine, the same happened to me.

I got mine from ebay, the seller knows about this glitch and even gives you 3 month warranty... I replaced mine last year....everythiung is fine.

good luck
    do you still have the same sellers name? and how much did you have to pay?
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    Is this what you are looking for?
    http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?N=1631+10605+4294966992+11921+9217

Regards,
    Corkscrew
    nope looking for the at tranny computer
  • 94shadow94shadow Member Posts: 31
    elroy5,
    I installed a new input speed sensor and a used atc box on my 92 honda accord and when I checked the for the code, no D4 or S lights flashed.
    Oh! the speed sensor is located at the right front of the engine near the a/t oil removal plug and directly under the battery. You can see it from the top by following the wiring harness.
    Back to the a/t. No flashing lights but the trans sometimes goes back to its old habit, shifting from 1st to 4th.
    Otherwise the car seems fine.
    One other thing. When I turn the key on or off, there is a machine gun like noise coming from the rear.
    Any clues?
    Thanks a lot,
    94shadow
    The shift control solenoids (A & B) could need cleaning. This link should be of some help diagnosing the problem. Click on the transmission troubleshooting link, and start reading. Good luck http://techauto.awardspace.com/transmission.html

Never just assume a certain part is the cause of a problem. TEST before replacing.
    I was replying to message #1281 who is looking for headlamp lenses. That being said, try this link for remanufactured computers. Select yours from the drop down list:
    http://www.autocomputersupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=165

Regards,
    Corkscrew
  • gojacketsgojackets Member Posts: 23
    I am especially interested in LX owners who have put a TCU from an EX into their car without problems or vice versa.

The LX had a 125hp engine (F22A1) and the EX had a 140hp engine (F22A4)

The factory TCU's on these cars were:
    93LX - 28100-PX4-722
    93EX - 28100-PX4-732

92LX - 28100-PX4-722 (same as 93LX)
    92EX - 28100-PX4-731 (Oki) or 27100-PX4-732 (same as 93EX)

91LX - 28100-PX0-823 (for whatever reason, this TCU costs twice the price of all the others's from the dealer!)
    91EX - 28100-PXO-833

My basic issue is that I have a LX, and the more commonly available TCU's are from the EX. I need a TCU that will work in this car.
  • cybercoolcybercool Member Posts: 117
    Hi all

Is my Honda Accord 1993 front wheel drive? Just curious. Thanks

Jim
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Hi all

Is my Honda Accord 1993 front wheel drive? Just curious. Thanks

Yes, all Honda's mainstream cars, trucks, and crossover vehicles are front-wheel-drive based. The trucks and Crossovers that are All-Wheel-Drive use front-wheel drive when not in 4WD mode. The S2000 Roadster is the only Honda car for sale in North America that is Rear-Wheel Drive.
    Hello all,
    elroy5,
    The second A/T TCU that I installed, the same part (#R69) looks like it is burned. The D4 light doesn't come on at all.
    Upon checking, there is no blinking malfucntion light.
    What could be the trouble.
    There does't seem to be any short in the wiring.
    Everything else works.
    I am stumped.
    94shadow
    shadow, I'm at a loss on this one. Usually when the computer goes out, the D4 light will stay lit continuously, even in Park. It's like your computer is not communicating at all, and that could be many things (wires, computer, shift position switch, etc.).
  • trouble4u59trouble4u59 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 1993 accord my engine light is coming on after you drive about 25 miles. i'm getting a code #43 far i can tell that is fuel system delivery. i have checked my fule pressure,my fuel regulator.my egr and my injecters every thing checks fine. any suggestions. thanks john
  • dchristiedchristie Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I need to replace a rear wheel bearing in my 93 accord, and have an identical "parts car". Would it be easier to replace the entire rear wheel hub, or should I get a new bearing and just replace the bearing. I think the parts car bearing is good, but I am looking at doing the least amount of work for the repair, and have no specialized tools like pullers and the like.

Thanks,

Dave
    ok...so i have replaced the tcu in the car and the s light is still permanently lit. also the car still stays stuck in park...although from time to time it is able to be put into another egar, but not until a series of clicks come from under the driver side dash. around the fuse box area. whaat the heck????
    Hello,

I have a 92 honda accord LX w/FI 2.2L engine.
    Whenever I turn on the key, there is a loud machine gun like sound coming from the back of the car.
    Also, when I turn my engine off, it has the same sound. What could be the trouble.
    For a 92 Honda Accord LX FI, is their more than one type of fuel pump relay?

Thanks,
    94shadow
  • nika1nika1 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 1990 and the 's' switch be comeing on whene i be driving what is that good or bad and the chick engine is on so what do i do
  • nika1nika1 Member Posts: 2
    HI I HAVE A 1990 HONDA ACCOED EX AND THE 'S' SWITCH BE COMEING ON WHILE I AM DRIVING IS THAT GOOD OR BAD AND THE CHICK ENGINE IS ALL WAS ON AND DO I DRIVE THE CAR IN NORMAL OR SPORTS SHIFT AND WHAT DO THE SPORTS SHIFT DO TO THE CAR
    elroy,
    I bought a rebuilt tcu and now my a/t trans works. I still need to make adjustment to the cables. The D4 light still doesn't come on
    but, as long as its running o.k. It's fine with me.
    Oh! I still have not cleaned the solenoids. I'll do that tomorrow.
    Thanks for all your help...
    I have one question. Is there more then one type of electrical FI
    fuel pump relay?
    For my 92 Honda Accord.
    Thanks,
    94shadow
  • jtraceyjtracey Member Posts: 1
    Amy, I have the same problem. What did you do to resolve the problem? Thanks for a quick answer. Andi
    hi all,
    My Accord 93 is having tranny shift problems with the lit D4 either blinking or steady.
    With this great help from the forum I was directed to faulty ECM and TCU. Is it expensive to replace the TCU and ECM? Should I just let my mechanic look at it to be sure or just take him the parts and be charged for labor only? I was taken for a ride by a dishonest mechanic, so I just get really wiery.

Jim
    Hi John,

Same exact problem with my Accord 93. I'm no mechanic so I haven't checked the fuel pressure regulator or injectors. I read here it can be the ECU or the Oxygen sensor. Let me know if you resolved it and how. I don't have the $$$ now to fix mine.

cybercool
  • iridiumcoreiridiumcore Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone,

I just got a used 93 Accord. So far the only evident problems are there is no AC, 3 windows don't work, a hole in the mufler. I took it out on I95 this morning to get to work and noticed that when I floor it at about 80 mph it seems like the motor rocks and gear jumps. I'm thinking transmission or motor mount. Any Idea.

Also I plan on modding this vehicle you know performance appearence the whole nine. Any idea where the tutorials and where to get the parts.
  • gludwigsengludwigsen Member Posts: 1
    I have applied 8" lbs of vacuume to the #16 hose port on the EGR and the book says the engine should stall and does it hold vacuume? Mine holds vacuume but will not stall? I only had MV. on the yellow and black wires at the control box but am not sure if I am doing that right. The air chamber under the control box is sucking air but I dont know how much. any advice?
  • juannijuanni Member Posts: 1
    In addition to any fuse, there is a "fuse" on the body of the lighter socket... it is a spring loaded connection with a low temperature solder that springs open if excessive current heats the solder. Check that... I was able to fix mine pretty simply. J
  • learjetgal59learjetgal59 Member Posts: 1
    Whenever it rains, my tail lights get water in them. Then my brake lamp indicator light on the dash lights up. How do you stop the water getting into the tail lights?
    Hi all,

When I did the Check engine light test with jumper, my car came up with code #43. In the Hayden manual book for my Accord 93, it doesn't show code 43. The book shows #42 which is fuel supply. What does code #43 mean? Thanks, cybercool.
    Hi all
    Has anyone come up with CEL code #43? I have and I don't know what it means. My manual shows other numeral code #s except #43.

Thanks for your help
    cybercool
    Auto Zone lists code #43 as "fuel supply system" for 1990-93 accords.
    Regards,
    Corkscrew
    Thanks Corkscrew

Will replacing the fuel pressure regulator and oxygen sensor fix the problem?
    regards,
    Cybercool
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Maybe.... maybe not. The error code is indicating the functional area that has a problem. It would need further diagnosis by a reputable mechanic to narrow it down further, otherwise you could be unnecessarily replacing parts which aren't the problem. For instance, you could have gotten a bad load of gas, clogging your fuel filter, and starving your engine of fuel. Replacing those parts you mention, would have no effect.

It's a tradeoff between the cost of replacing a bunch of parts which may not be the problem, to the cost of a trusted and knowledgeable mechanic. If you suspect a particular part due to some other information, then I'd be replacing the part before going the mechanic route. For instance, if you KNOW you got a bad load of gas, then cleaning out the tank, the filter, etc would be a reasonable approach with a better than average chance of addressing the problem part. If you only have a generic error code, you may want to go the mechanic option.
  • calejandrocalejandro Member Posts: 1
    I just need to know or picture of distributor cap the # 1 wire to stall the sparkplug wire, trying to replace the the distributor assbly and wire,I know the firing order is 1342 but I dnt kow where to start
    Looking at the engine from the front of the vehicle and going left to right, see below:
    4-3-2-1
    Firing order is: 1-3-4-2 and distributor rotates clockwise,
  • keyon19keyon19 Member Posts: 11
    i have a 1990Honda accord LX and i was told i had bad valves. I have no problem with starting the car or driving it but when i checked the wires for fire they were firing but the 4th plug (closest to the distributor) is not firing. I can have the car running and pull the wires off the 1st 2nd and 3rd plug and the car will stall but when i pull the 4th wire the car still runs the same . can i please get some help here if anyone know the problem HELP please.
    Hi

Can I clean the connectors on my TCU without disconnecting the battery? I dont want to ruin anything. I found it under the passenger side beneath the rug. Thanks, cybercool
    Check the continuity of the wire with an ohmmeter, compared to the rest. Pull the plug and look at the plug, compared to the others.

When is the last time this vehicle has had new plugs, and wires?
  • clint9clint9 Member Posts: 2
    hi ever one , hope some one can help please
    i have a 1991 honda accord, i can go out and it will start , but then if i shout it off it will turn over but will not start, then i can waite a few days and it will start ,i have replaced the switch, runs great when it dose run , thanks alot vickie
  • clint9clint9 Member Posts: 2
    about 6 months ago , i check the plugs they look fine , thanks can you think of any thing , i check the fues, the timming ,
  • larry93larry93 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 accord with a 5 spedd maunual trans,309,000 mi. This morning went out and found a large spot of what appears to be trans fluid on the driveway.

My question....would it be safe to drive to the repair shop ( about 20 miles) or should I have it towed??
    If it is a 'large' spot, then I wouldn't be driving it. Are you sure it is transmission fluid? Check the levels of all your fluids. If it really is a lot of anything, you should find out exactly what it is that is now missing.

You certainly got your money worth at 309K miles. You should be cautious about investing a lot to fix it up.
  • iridiumcoreiridiumcore Member Posts: 2
    Ok so this 93 accord keeps loosing time and radio won't turn on. I check the fuses in the passenger cabin fuse box and all the number 10's are great. There is enough juice in the battery to start the car although I did notice that when the head lights come on everything else gets dims but that's normal right.

So what am I looking at. Oh the radio is third party and was installed when I go the car.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'm almost sure an aftermarket radio would have its own in-line fuse behind the unit. So I'd say slip it out and look for that white in-line fuse holder.
  • jimhandyjimhandy Member Posts: 6
    Accord, 1991, 2 door, 132 engine, with 2 wheel drive.
    Please Help.
    Looking at the engine from the front of the vehicle and going left to right
    The cylinders are 4-3-2-1 Yes?
    Firing order is: 1-3-4-2 Yes?
    Distributor rotates clockwise Yes?
    No 1 on the distributor cap is where ???????
    Aftermarket wires (pep boy) do not seat in plug well properly about 1/4 in too long.
    Wrong wires Yes?
    Thank You.