Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Excursion vs Chevy Suburban/GMC Yukon XL - The battle of the titans

Comments

• liquidlabliquidlab Member Posts: 23
    I ordered my 01 Yukon Xl 3/4 ton with the 8100 Vortec in May.
    The dealer already had all the informations,options etc,in it's computer.
  • polsenpolsen Member Posts: 25
    For what it's worth, Four Wheeler mag this month released their best buys and liked the sub over the fords.
  • css3css3 Member Posts: 6
    The same magazine like the Hugo and the corvair!
  • retractretract Member Posts: 13
    Magizines rarely agree on favorites because of the huge $'s spent by the manufacturers, but in the case of the Ex vs Sub it has been all GM. It's a shame because Ford has spent so much on their outdoors theme ads that you would think it would buy them a few kind words about the EX.
  • xfactorxfactor Member Posts: 78
    Buy the new Honda odyssey its better then either the excursion or the suburban and has about the same amount of room, in addition it:

Handles better
    Brakes better
    Smother ride
    Accelerates faster
    Safer
    Allows access from the front to rear seats so you can get to the crying baby
    Costs less
    Has more on demand cargo room
    Gets better gas mileage

Why would anyone buy a Burb or excursion?

4WD
    They believe it looks better.
    This is a global economy better get used to it.

Ford is no longer strictly American.

I hate to admit it being an American but the Japanese make better cars.
    I looked at all the posts Mako28 had it right.

If you truly need an SUV then enjoy. Most do not.

In any event when I compared the Excursion to the Suburban (Did not buy either) I thought the Suburban was much better.
  • css3css3 Member Posts: 6
    This was in USA TODAY ...Today
    The SUV least likely to roll over is the Ford Excursion.

I mentioned the HO because it was in my evaluation process along with the Suburban. We liked the Surburban over the Excursion.

We liked vans better. We evaluated the vans and came up with 3 HO, Windstar and Sienna.

I did not give a thought to one being a Japanese headquartered company and one being a US headquartered company because it is irrelevant in today's global economy. I was overly broad in my statement that Japanese cars are better. The comment should have been limited to year 2000 cars under $22,000.

Cab companies buy fleets based on a cheap bulk purchase price. The car companies do this so they can say their car is the “Best selling in America”. Many Non-US manufactures do not have the plant capacity to meet the Cab companies needs at the prices they are looking for.

In any event this is the wrong forum to discuss this subject is there another forum? If not feel free to start your own and I will gladly continue the debate.
  • jgeisiiijgeisiii Member Posts: 2
    I have been looking at the local dealers in my area. All seem to be on their last few 00 Suburbans. They say it will be Sept. before they get the new ones, but can't tell me about changes in options. Does anyone know of any different options being offered for 01. The only models I have seen on the lots here have been the solid color LTs. Where are all the flavors, ie: two tone paint schemes, etc. Are they just ordering the high-end units to maximize profit?

Does anyone know a dealer in Va, NC or SC that works off invoice vs. this "fair market value" number?

Lastly, where did the tailgates go? I always liked the idea of extended deck space or a seat.

Thanks for your comments.

JG
  • evilchewieevilchewie Member Posts: 1
    More info on next years line of engines

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/

-EC
  • jogibajogiba Member Posts: 27
    You must have had a 5.7L (350cu in)small block in your Suburban or a bad 454 big block. I have a 454 in my 34' Coachmen motorhome and it runs 75mph all day on my trips to Florida from NJ.The 2001 8100 Vortec (496 big block) and Duramax 6600 diesel will be the engines of choice for towing the biggest travel trailers with the Suburban,Yukon XL,2500/3500HD pickups and 3500 Vans.
  • bowtiebillbowtiebill Member Posts: 17
    I don't understand. You must have a very long torso as I am 6'3" also and have well over an inch to spare above my head. I can understand at 315 that you may have a little problem with shoulder room but at 190 I have way more than enough. I too question the towing abilities you quote. I have a boat and trailer that weigh about 5000 pounds and my 1500 Burb (5.3 liter) without a locking differential or trailer package (bought a Hidden Hitch class III receiver from JC Whitney and installed it myself) pull that thing up and down the hills and up the boat ramp like it's nothing. I too think the new 8100 available from GM will flat knock the socks off anything, including the 10 cylinder, that Ford has to offer. But the main thing is that you are happy with your purchase and it fits you. That's great. Just hope you didn't pay anything near MSRP as they are now offering big time discounts since they can't get rid of them.
  • stealthandstealthand Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 1999 Suburban LT, after years in two consecutive Ford Explorers - the Suburban is cheap and incomplete. Ford offers so much more in standard interior and comfort, it's unbelievable. The Suburban seat is too short and to narrow, the seats pitch forward, so that you feel as if you're falling out, the arm rests are set so that only a child can make use of them. There are certainly no extra amenities. After less than a year of driving it, I'm ready to go back to a Ford.
  • agoldenagolden Member Posts: 1
    when I travel I usually have two to four horses in tow. We also require room for a lot of STUFF when we travel. I just returned from a 1200 mile trek through the North Carolina mountains and can report the following experiences. Fuel consumption: The PSD achieved 15.59 mpg city, 16.23 amazingly through the mountain roads.
    Some of which were single lane dirt roads climbing at such a rate I had to use 4WD for the climb. And finally, 22.26 mpg highway at 55 mph. This trip we did not have a horse trailer in tow. Why 4x4? As I explained earlier, I pull horses in the Carolina mountains over interstate, paved two lane, steep paved, gravel and dirt roads. And at times, no perceived road at all. For these conditions a 4x4 is a must, regardless of the vehicle type. I am happy to report after this last 1,200 mile journey, I experienced no bongs, bangs, clangs, clunks, clinks, dings, giggles, pings, rattles, squeals, squeaks; you get the idea, or any other type of noise. While I do have to negoticate some challenging terrain at times, I do not go "off-roading" with the Excursion. That's not what Ford built it for or why I bought it. I hope you enjoy yours as much as my family and I have enjoyed ours.
  • pribcopribco Member Posts: 3
    Am considering replacement tires for 4x4 1500 Suburban. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    Not Firestone - haha

Try Michelin LTX
  • accesstoo1accesstoo1 Member Posts: 1
    I recently leased a 2000 Ford Excursion, V-10, Limited....took it on a trip to Savannah and back...next day (8/7) took it to the car wash....f'in died!!!! they had to push it out...after several attempts to get it going (cooled down, started..ran 1 mile..died, repeat) we had to have the thing towed...been at the dealer for 3 days...they say it is a crankshaft solenoid problem...bad design, Ford is about to issue a recall...1800 vehicles affected....the vendor of the "new design" has "just shipped" 700 new parts to Ford, but the dealer "isn't sure if they will get an allocation"...sounds like the inventory scam eh?....In any event, I have a $34,000 limited (if you paid more you are a fool, however, only slightly more so than I because I got one too :0 )

In any event, no ETR....do you believe this?????? My wife is driving a Taurus (compliments of Ford and I had to pound them for it) with our 4 kids for a time to be determined.............anyone else have this problem?

Should have opted for the Suburban....faster, more nimble, smoother power, better gas (although believe it or not, I got 15-15 1/2 mpg@75mph avg with a V-10, air blazing.........and weighs approximately 2,000 lbs less....go figure.....

Comments?
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    This seems to happen very early on. I was at the dealer getting a cargo net for my Expedition and they had a customer in there who was not a happy camper.

Apparently this same thing happened to him as he was driving his new Excursion off the lot after delivery. Ouch!

At that same time, there was a 2nd customer on the phone apparently trying to get his Excursion delivered to him out in the country somewhere, but the service guy was trying to explain to him that they could not get the truck going, same problem.

This was at a large Minnesota dealership. I don't want to mention the name, because they have treated me very well.

I am becoming more content with my decision to get the Expedition instead.
  • 2000yukonxl2000yukonxl Member Posts: 1
    If your going to tow the ford Excursion is the way to go.For comfort and ride Yukon XL.I have a Yukon XL love it.My friend has a Excursion he loves it.To each his own.......But the Excursion is BIG and BIG is what you need to tow.
  • herrick3herrick3 Member Posts: 4
    I checked out the PSD in the Excursion, and for the XLT it was about $40,000 for the limited it was $43,000. Where did you, accesstoo1 , find a Limited for only $34,000, even if it has the V10? I know that the PSD adds about $4000 to the sticker, but the dealer here in Everett WA did not believe me when I told him of your purchase price. He claims that the PSD XLT cost him $38,782 and with his quote "low markup" is only asking $40,000.
  • kbonekbone Member Posts: 1
    We just bought our 2K Excursion and love it. Has any one had any problem with the Firestone ATX
    tires on the Excursion?
  • 390gt390gt Member Posts: 17
    kbone, double check your tires. I believe the Ex. has Firestone Steeltex either A/S or A/T. They are also used on the Superduty. I have read that the the version used on the Ex. is the "D" rated version with 8 plys while the Superduty uses the "E" rated version with 10 plys. The Ex. version is supposed the ride smoother. My question is the version on the Ex. up to the task for towing and would it be more prone to sway.?
  • 6ofus6ofus Member Posts: 2
    My husband and I are in a quandary as whether to buy a 2000 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLT 4x4 or a 2000 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4. Please give us serious pros/cons on each of these vehicles and only if you've done considerable driving in one or the other or both. I know there are die-hard Chevy and die-hard Ford fans and while I respect that, that's not want I want to know. What I want to know is what you like/love about each vehicle. What kind of problems you've had (and please don't tell me the gas mileage sucks, it's hard to manuever, it doesn't fit in the garage. I've been driving a Ford E150 Coversion van for 5 plus years and the gas milegae does suck and you do have to be conscientious in driving any vehicle but especially, I feel, when driving one of this size).

We will NOT be doing any regular towing, I am not looking for status, but I do have a family of 6 (with three child seats to contend with) that I need safe, reliable transportation for. We have looked at most and test drove a lot of minivans (Odyssey, Windstar, Caravan, Town & Country, etc) but have you ever tried putting three car seats in one of those and then fitting in two adults, one preteen and any kind of luggage, it's nearly impossible, and for us, it is out of the question. The only other vehicle I would consider is a Toyota Landcruiser but since a $40000 GMC vs. Ford is stretching the budget, a $50000 plus vehicle is out of the question, but the Landcruiser by far has the look, luxury and reliability record I would love to have.

So here we are at the crossroads. We have our finances in order and are ready to buy today if we could only do two things. #1, make our decision and #2, find one at the price we are willing to pay after doing much research @ edmunds, autobytel, cardirect.com, etc. As much as I hate to say it, the almighty dollar might actually play into the final decision, who's willing/has more room to play with the figures?
  • jackp3jackp3 Member Posts: 1
    I recently went through the same choice. I have a 94 GMC suburban with 220k miles on it and was generally pleased with it. My first thought was to buy a 00 or 01 GMC Yukon XL but I ended up with the Excursion.

I also do very little towing but wanted the room for my work, sales, and for my passion, hunting. The 1500 Yukon XL has an easier ride but I very much love the feel and ride of my Excursion which is stiffer and more truck like. My passengers and I love the ride - it is very comfortable on long trips. I have experienced zero handling problems.

My reasons for buying the Excursion over the GMC were: 1). Liked the looks, fit and finish. 2). Availability meant that I could negotiate a good price where I paid less for a 3/4 ton vehicle than what the 1/2 ton GMC would cost me and I had a great choice of vehicles. 3). 0.9 Ford factory financing is very hard to pass up.

We ended up with a Limited, 4X4, PSD and love it. With over 4500 miles we have had no problems at all and the vehicle is tight and very quiet. I have never owned another vehicle where people actually come up to you and want to talk to you about your truck and look (and sit sometimes) inside. I recently took at trip over the Sierras where I set the cruise control at 70 MPH and the truck never strained let alone try to shift out of overdrive. The Excursion was pretty loaded with 5 passengers and the back end stuffed full.

I believe both the GM and Ford make nice trucks, it's all a matter of personal tastes and what make sense money wise.

Good Luck
  • cardoctorcardoctor Member Posts: 3
    I OWN A 98 SUB AND HAVE BEEN SHOPPING FOR A NEW TRUCK. DROVE A 2000 SUB FOR A WEEK LOVED THE RIDE
    GOOD POWER BUT MY DAUGHTERS AGE 9 &6 COMPLAINED THAT THERE WAS LESS LEG ROOM BETWEEN THE 1ST &2ND ROW OF SEATS WHEN CLIMBING ACROSS.TALKED TO THE DEALER THE BEST THEY WOULD DISCOUNT THE TRUCK WAS 1500.00 OFF LIST.

DROVE A 2000 EXCURSION ITS LIKE A BALL FIELD INSIDE LEG ROOM WAS NO PROBLEM . THE RIDE NOT AS CAR LIKE BUT WASNT MUCH MORE HARSH THAN MY 98
    TALKED TO THE DEALER 5400.00 OFF THE STICKER
    IN THE NORTHEAST ALMOST EVERY DEALER HAS SEVERAL
    ON THEIR LOT.ALSO ON THE GM EVERYTHING IS AN OPTION ON THE EXC.MANY THINGS ARE STANDARD
    ILL BE PURCHASING MY EXCURSION IN DEC TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF END OF YEAR DISCOUNT
  • dknight1dknight1 Member Posts: 1
    We have had our 2000 Ex(w/V10) for about 5 months. I both love it and hate it. I have also driven and travelled in my father-in-laws new 2000 sub for about the last 3-months.

We have 6 kids ranging from 1-year to 13-yrs, and the only other vehicle that holds us is a full size passenger van...or maybe a bus.

The 2000 suburbans/yukon xls are just too small on the inside. We had a 93 suburban that fit pretty well, but the new vehicles by GM are just too small. So, the interior roominess of an Ex is perfect for a large family...especially with teens.

I can relate a few observations about the Ex...

It seems a little "boomy" when travelling on the highway...much like a van. The suburban (old and new)was significantly quieter. However, on a trip from Houston to Dallas at about 80mph, 6 adult passengers commented about how well it rode. (BTW it made that trip at 11mpg).

I have only had to backup from 1 parking garage...the Ex was 2-inches too tall.

It fits in the garage and porte-cochere...barely! The Ex is 4-inches wider than the Sub.

The brake pedal and accelerator pedal are too close (on this one), and I have hit both when wearing a particular pair of shoes...so I don't wear them anymore. I expect that there may be a recall of that one.

The insulation on the rear A/C came off and the condensation flooded the rear cargo area....after replacement of the insulation and drying out the carpet, there has been no recurrence.

I love the Ex for how big it is, and yet hate it for the same reason! Oh well, I would buy it again, though. A close runner up in my mind would be the 99 Sub...because it is bigger, but quieter and smoother.

Ours is a "limited", fully loaded...$34500 was paid.
  • 6ofus6ofus Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all of you who responded to our message, we really appreciate the input. We thought it was going to be a while (month or so) before we purchased a new SUV but ended up buying a 2000 Excursion Limited 4x4 on Sat. We really only had intentions of test driving and getting more info, but after test driving a Suburban and trying to talk numbers with that dealership, we experienced what a lot of other people have already mentioned, they're not really interested in "dealing". And although I will admit the 1/2 ton Chevy Sub does have a smoother ride than the Excursion, I would not go as far as to say it is "car like", even with the Premium Ride option. Also, as some of you have mentioned, our very well equipped Excursion's sticker price was $1300 less than a not as nearly loaded Suburban. So we've joined the ranks, we too, enjoy the view from above, the tight, truck-like ride, the "deal" we feel we got ($6300 off MSRP of $42,600) and to top it off, when we got it home it actually fit in the garage!

Thanks again!
  • cgrutzcgrutz Member Posts: 1
    I switched from Chevy to Ford in 1982 and haven't been sorry. The reason; door, chrome, fender alignment; overall workmanship and value. I recently bought an Excursion / 7.3 PowerStroke Turbo Diesel. The main reason was that I have a large boat and trailer and needed a vehicle that would pull it while hauling all the gear and people. I looked at and drove other makes but they couldn't handle it. After purchasing the Excursion my biggest surprise was the economy!! Yes economy. I had heard from various sources including CBS's "60 Minutes" that the Excursion was a polluter because of its low mileage. I have taken my Excursion on several extended trips including my 22nd trip to Alaska via the Alaska Hwy; this time pulling a two horse trailer (2523 miles). The vehicle not only performed effortlessly it got an average of16.8 mpg. On the return without the trailer it averaged 21.1 mpg. This was calculated mpg (not taken from the mpg read-out display.) I've owned a number of other Fords. This is the best one yet!!!
  • buck37buck37 Member Posts: 1
    Just put Cooper Discover AT 265/75R16 Great Tire Goood Handling " E " rated 10 ply. Replaced 2nd set of BFG ALL Terrain TA had 50K plus on each set, BFG downgraded to a "D" rating not 10 ply.
    Coopers @ $520.00
    Why wait until December? The end of the model year is now and this is when you get your deals. Not on a Burb of course because they are selling like hotcakes. But as noted by others above (and the news media) Excursions are plentiful on dealers lots. People just aren't buying them and so dealers are dropping prices to rock bottom to get rid of them. Of course your resale down the road will be terrible but at least you get a cheap truck. Good luck with your purchase.
  • stealhead1stealhead1 Member Posts: 1
    i had to decide between a ford ex and a yukonxl and was initially impressed with the ford and having a ford explorer with 150000 miles (91) with very few problems and a strong drive train it was my first choice. i test drove both (i didnt even know at first that gm was redesigning their beast) and for our 3 kids in car seats and with my wife driving it mainly both were quite suitable. two things made me sway to gm the ride is definitely nicer and the weight was noticeable in corners and the yukonxl is not great at corners. i also had some negative experiences with ford first it pulled to the right (my exploder) they said it was a 4wd or all fords do this but an independant mechanic fixed a worn bushing and its been fine since, also the left rear axle seal went 5 times the same guy found a warped axle its fine now! all of this fixed out of warranty, consequently driving the ford was not as much fun as it is now. the straw that broke it though was when i went to use my spare tire on the front axle (i'd used it twice on the rear FIRESTONE ATX'S till i dumped them) anyway it did not fit the axle and ford w'ont replace it so i offered them a chance the refused so business goes elsewhere. i bought the yukon xl service is great and it drives straight and it is very comfortable for our long legs and i'm getting about 19 mpg on the highway i limit my city driving to the exploder.
  • yksyks Member Posts: 1
    I loved my 91 Sub. Drove it 200K miles then sold it to the son of a friend. Got a 97 Sub and life has been less than pleasing.
    I can accept the occasional mechanical problem. But dealing with the service department is so aggravating I could .... Why can't they just fix what I want or need and not try to sell me on another $500 of "due services"?

Anyway. I have decided to go with an Ex rather than the new Sub-lite. Having a hard time finding other than a Limited locally. And just to be extra picky I want the split bench seat, not the chairs.

Here's to the hunt...
    By the way -- both the friend and his son are still friends of mine. I won't dump the 97 on them.
  • legroslegros Member Posts: 1
    After driving the 2k SUB and the EX, I know I did the right thing by buying the 1999 model Sub rather than waiting for the new models. Why Chevy made the 2000 smaller and got rid of the 42 gal tank beats the h--- out of me. I tow light trailers and put a lot of miles on it. When I'm not towing, I've been averaging 17.5 mph. Once I got over the 19 mpg mark. As far as the ride, the 99 is just fine although the 2000 is a bit cushier. But lets not forget that this is a truck. In my opinion the 99 Suburban beats them both!!!
  • figmomanfigmoman Member Posts: 55
    Gary, the 99 sub is a truck but the 2000 sub comes with REAL brakes. I must admit, I really miss my 42 gallon tank. I put 48,000 on my 99 and my 2000 is far superior. Better brakes, handling, milage, ride, AC/heat, turning radius, auto electrical cut off after 20 minutes (my kids were always leaving the reading lights on). 99 had better low end torque, stereo, 42 gal tank, bigger windows, a little more room, hotter heated seats. My biggest gripes were poor AC for driver, inadequate brakes, and loose rattling seats. I like the 2000 better. Mike
  • snadmansnadman Member Posts: 1
    I have now test driven both and have spent a lot of time with a 1995 K2500 Diesel and F-250. I appreciate the torque and gasmilage of the diesel. I apreciate the cold starting (<0 deg C) of the gas engines.

But one big thing I noticed is that the payload of the 4wd psd excursion is ~1560 lbs vs 2800 lbs of the 454 Suburban. So what happens when I pile four big guys and a ton of gear and I exceed 1500 lb max payload. Granted it won't happen often, but it WILL happen. This goes back to the weight of the Excursion being so much more. Yes they have the same max towing weight, but if the Excursion is that roomy inside, I am more apt to max it. Can I raise the payload rating with helper springs or do other items become the week link. I know the brakes on the Ford can handle it, they work and feel great.

That brings up another question. I have heard of some Suburban break problems. Was that fixed in 99 for the k2500?

All in all, I like the ride of the Excursion better. It is more solid in the stock config than the Sub, but aftermarket components can cure that problem easily.
    Pete
  • osteoblastosteoblast Member Posts: 2
    Great list! I am currently looking at a 2000/2001 Excursion Limited with the PSD. Any idea as to what a good price to deal towards on this model?? Should I wait until December to nab a 2000 at a discount?? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • retractretract Member Posts: 13
    December? They will be paying you to take one by then. Locally, Ex's are advertised with a $7,000.00 Discount!!
  • bear1249bear1249 Member Posts: 2
    We went through the same set of calculations and came to the conclusion that the excursion was financially a tremendous deal. The difference in gasoline usage was almost insignificant...if less so for us, because we would not drive either vehicle that much in the city (we have two cars for the commuting, errands, etc.) Of course, these vehicles aren't for everyone..we pull a 4700 lb trailer plus loads of kids and junk for camping. The low interest rate on such an expensive purchase makes an awful lot of difference. I was surprised by the ease of handling of the excursion and its ability to tow heavy loads. I would second the opinion that it is quite roomy and comfortable. The brakes are terrific compared to the '99 Tahoe I had. The Chevy dealers here weren't real interested in dealing...they don't have any strippo suburban 2500s sitting around anyway. Besides, just take a look at the Tahoe/Suburban posting boards and there are a lot of unhappy people there.
  • bartsimsonbartsimson Member Posts: 3
    In my earlier posting, I may have sounded a little hard on the Excursion and in my comparison I mentioned little about the great points about the Excursion. Until now I had more miles on the Sub. After a little more time on the EX I find the ride quite comfortable, maybe not as good as the Sub but still good. The Excursion rides well on the highway as well. I felt the fit and finish was a little better on the Suburban but there were other things that I had not considered. The second row seats recline (the kids fell a sleep on the way back from the store in them). In my 89 chevy pu I would open the window and rest my arm on the door with the rubber trim digging into my arm and eventually breaking down the rubber trim seal. Ford puts an armrest ledge so my arm doesn&#146;t rest on the rubber trim. Little things like that tells me there was some thought to the design. The automatic aft windows work quite well. I like not having the post in the rear door and unobstructed rear window. When I test drove the Sub it was very cold, I noticed that cold would radiate from the window and cause my shoulder to ache, this has happened with other vehicles as well. If you turn the heat up you are too hot, low heat and arm is cold. Not in the excursion, possibly because my shoulder is father away from the window or thicker glass.. Don&#146;t know but it is some of the little things that make me a happy camper. In stop and go traffic with short distances between stoplights I get about 11.2 mpg (it seems to go down if you have extended stop time at the light). I will have to wait until summer to tow the boat to the lake but from what I have read this should be great. The more I drive it the more I love it. I had already conceded to all the negative comments on this board were true and that I would have to live with them before I bought the vehicle and that is why it was discounted so heavily. I am finding many are exaggerated. I am even more pleased with my purchase. I like the two rear doors as opposed to a tail gate. Another pleasant surprise, I had to make a u turn, from the posts I though the Queen Mary had a better turning radius. I made it without backing up. Again another exaggeration or at least a misunderstanding on how well the Excursion can u-turn. What I am finding is the Sub and the Ex are more similar than dissimilar. They both have advantages and people choose what they like. The lower price of the Ex makes it an even sweeter deal for me. Since this is not my primary mode of transportation (I commute on a motorcycle to work and my sister takes the kids to school in it which is less than a mile away.) I recommend the Excursion as a great vehicle and an excellent value.

Richard
  • prestonkprestonk Member Posts: 2
    I just placed an order for an Excursion. This follows an order for a Suburban a month ago that I canceled recently when finding out that GM will not be producing the 9-seat version which I require for an indefinite period of time. I had already been upset about not being able to get both CD & casette on the Suburban, plus Chevy's unwillingness to drop anything from the MSRP, but I had gone ahead with the order due to the Suburban reputation and the $2000 credit I had earned on my GM credit card. But not knowing when I would be able to get my vehicle was the last straw and caused me to look elsewhere.

No 9-seat Excursions were available locally, but the fleet manager assured me that Ford would produce one if I ordered it. Plus, I not only get an in-dash casette player, but was able to add a 6-disc CD changer. And the deal is $800 over invoice (+$200 advertising fee). So, $32,500 plus tax for a 9-seat 2WD Excursion + 6-disc changer and reverse sensing system.

My question is regarding the merits of the 6.8L V10 vs. the 5.4L V8 engine. I went with the smaller engine, assuming that the gas mileage will be better, but how much better? There is no data on either engine version. Maybe it's not worth it. Plus, I'm concerned about having enough power in the V8. I will not be doing any towing, but I have 7 kids (thus the 9-seater) and we take some camping trips that have us pretty loaded up with tents, bags, clothes, food, firewood, etc. Does anybody have the knowledge or experience to tell me if the 5.4L V8 will be able to reasonably handle my payload? I have a week to make a change before the order is actually submitted to the manufacturer. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Preston
    Bart - you are right. The Ex is probably a better deal right now for someone who really just wants to feel that got a great deal. As you said, Chevys are in high demand and they can't seem to build enough of them. The Ex just hasn't caught on and so Ford is using deep discounts and low financing to get rid of them. Otherwise they would have to shut down the plants which is not feasible economically as it cost thems millions, maybe billions to convert them for Ex production. I say you should buy what you want and be happy with it no matter what anyone else says. If you don't mind paying more for the Chevy because that's the kind of vehicle you want, great. And if you buy the Ford to get the better price in the short term and are truly happy with it great also. I just feel bad for those that jumped on the Ex when it first came out and paid full sticker because they just had to have one and then the bottom fell out. But then again, as long as they are happy with their purchase that's what matters.
  • linkstaticlinkstatic Member Posts: 1
    Have just rolled first 30K miles on 2000 Excursion. Got this one in May and have spent a lot of hiway and off road miles, even some ice in 4 WD. Spent 300K miles in '94 Sub previously and had almost no problems,so I have a fairly good comparison. The Ex has the V10 and 4.30 limited slip so power is no problem. Here are my purely subjective observations:
    1. Lots more pulling power than the 350 Sub. Duh!! 2. More interior room, but less comfort than Sub,especially on 1000 mile per day trip, and I've made at least 6 of these days.
    3. 35% poorer fuel mileage than Sub. Avg 9.5 mpg
    4. Rougher ride than Sub.
    5. Feels top heavy. I no longer dodge anything,,just run over it. (1 deer already)
    6. Tows trailer much easier than Sub.
    7. Lots more room on roof for antennas!
    8. I have XLT package on Ex, Sub had Silverado,,,Ex is ahead in gadgets & creature comforts.

So far, so good, no mech problem other than a few
    rattles
  • cowcitycowcity Member Posts: 1
    Prestonk...It is my understanding that the V10 gets considerably better mileage than the V8. The Excursion is a very heavy vehicle, and the V8 has to strain much harder to keep it rolling. The V10 handles the job without breaking a sweat. You'll like it better for hauling a load, too. Some people prefer the diesel engine, but I don't want to put up with the noise and extra maintenance to gain a few more miles per gallon. Frequently, the price of diesel is higher than unleaded regular, so the MPG difference evaporates. I can buy a lot of gas for the $4000 price difference between the V10 and the diesel. I recommend the V10 with the 3.73 ratio axle.
    Anybody buying either a Suburban or an Excursion had better plan on considerable fuel costs, regardless of what engine you choose. It comes with the territory. I bought oil company stock, so it helps ease the pain when I fill up.
  • jogibajogiba Member Posts: 27
    My stepson just took our Excursion for a saturday nite date. The local school had a car wash today ..$5 for cars and $7 for trucks,Vans and SUV's.So I was glad to give them $7 to wash my Excursion even though I had to do the wheels and tires when I got home. So he has a clean black Excursion to cruise in.He said all his friends think the truck is cool.The Excursion is my wife's truck...I have a ZR2 4x4 3door S-10 Pickup.

We were thinking of a Suburban but my wife liked the dutch doors on her Astro Van so when she took the Excursion for a test drive she was hooked. I was suprised she even likes the diesel.

Joe
  • bartsimsonbartsimson Member Posts: 3
    I would call around and maybe get one that is not local. When I first started looking is was in the market for a 4door crew cab. It test drove the v8 and v10. The v10 is the way to go in my opinion, it defiantly did not push the truck as well and that was unloaded. You should consider canceling your order and calling around to other states for what you want. I paid 34000 for mine and it is 4wheel drive limited and just about every feature. I have been surprised by the gas mileage of the v10. One thing, I have the 373 rear end, I am sure the 4.30 will not do as well. Even with this rear end the truck picks up pretty well, and if you put your foot into it, it goes and I am high altitude. Good luck. You should make your dealer give you a test drive of the f250 crew to give you some idea of the power difference but remember the EX is heavier.

BowtieBill,

I think that you should not just purchase anything based on cost. I guess I was trying to show a cost benefit. The ride/gas mileage/noise level is only slightly better than the Chevy. If you really desire those qualities you should go with [non-permissible content removed] or a Landrover, but then price becomes an issue (at least it would for me) So my point. I agree that everyone should be happy with what they choose. For me (and not you or anyone else) after you I did the cost/benefit the EX shines. Even if the Chevys were available to get one as nice as the EX would put the price into orbit for me and for what? Only slightly better performance in the areas we discussed earlier. You then must consider the merits of the EX. So to base a comparison on cost only, a person must consider all the pros and cons. The reason I even posted was because of a basher out here who made emotional based arguments that did not consider the facts/features/qualities of the EX. To each his own. Fortunately everyone does think exclusively like you or I because one manufacturer would be history. I like Chevys, I still have one but I had to choose the best value (cost/benefit analysis)not just cost, so for me and at this point in time I got a EX. The Chevys are revamped and nice but I can't justify one in my mind.
  • prestonkprestonk Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input on this. If the V10 gets better gas mileage, I suppose that I'll go for it. There doesn't seem to be a disadvantage to it other than the initial cost. Even though 2 of you recommended the 3.73 rear axle, it seems that in California I am required to get the 4.30 with the V10 (don't know why, something about California emissions).

The dealer looked around California and didn't find a 9-seater. I think 2000's are pretty much gone here, but I haven't tried a nationwide search and am not sure that it would be worth it, esp. with 2.9% financing expiring.

Preston
    Amen, brother. We're both pleased with our choices and based on our own analysis we bought the vehicle that was right for us. That's what it's all about.
  • rpeppermanrpepperman Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a SUV. I would like to hear more likes and dislikes on these two. Right now I am leaning towards the ex 4X4 limited loaded for about 38,000 any ideals is this a good price or not. Any sub owners want to talk me out of the ex. also did I tell you the price included a VCR player and screen.Thanks for any advice
  • hanslghanslg Member Posts: 1
    Preston,

Are you trying to get this in leather?
    You can probably take the center console out and replace it with a leather SteelHorse middle seat/organizer. This unit even has provisions for a VCP in the back. The only problem is relocating the CD changer and rear-audio controls.

Drive safe,
    Hans
This discussion has been closed.