Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord (1990-1993) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• befries1332befries1332 Member Posts: 5
    I am in need of some help, i have a 1990 honda accord Ex, yesterday i was nowticing that when ever the passenger and the other two doors would open the dome light would come on and the dash door lights would switch on, that is not the case with my driver side, not a darn thing happens, the automatic seatbelt works, but my speaker and all other things todo with it does not, i have ruled out possable shortage. I am curious to wonder why it wont just work. if you can answer please let me know.
    Thank you.
  • geonerdgeonerd Member Posts: 8
    Unless the rotors are TURNING (and dragging against the pads), no heat can be generated.

Putting car in N will save a few drops of gas and slightly cool the transmission - not a bad thing to do, IMO.
  • silvertonesilvertone Member Posts: 1
    I just started college. :o) I bought a 1992 Accord EX with 126,000 miles. Two weeks later the car randomly would not start. I left the car with my mechanic to drive for days. BTW he has serviced my parents and grandparents cars for years. He never experienced a problem with my vehicle while he had it. I continue to deal with a random starting issue. The fuel pump has recently been replaced. Help!
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    It could be the electrical part of the ignition switch, or the Main fuel relay. If the car has more problems when it's hot, I suspect main relay. This link has a lot of information about your Accord, and could at least give you some ideas. Good luck
    http://techauto.awardspace.com/
  • cybercoolcybercool Member Posts: 117
    Hi all,
    I have my Accord EX for three years. It was in great shape when I first got it but now problems has arised but I have no time and money to fix my car. I'd like to sell it for a fair price. Here are the pros and cons on my car.

Pros: A/C is ice cold, no dents, drivable, sunroof works, CD radio is working

Cons: driver's window motor is faulty and wont go down, ABS light goes on, D4 light blinks, driver's inside plastic door handle broke.Car hesitates when driving.

What price should I sell it? I feel it needs a complete tune up and it'll be purring like a cat.

Thanks
    jim
  • hondatinkerhondatinker Member Posts: 2
    Couple of questions.
    What year, mileage?

Issues with the D4 light are the tranny computer, 300-400 bucks for a new one maybe more, not hard to fix. I have actually fixed the computer myself before. ABS is probably speed sensor. Window motor needed replaced (duuu, i'm a mechanicic. . . ) Car hesitates is probably the D4 issue. You shouldn't be driving it right now.

What color?

Thanks for info,

We are looking for another, I have a 1990, also had a 1992, great cars if you know the bugs and how to fix them.
  • hondatinkerhondatinker Member Posts: 2
    I've got a 1990 ex with a 2.2 in it. They are great cars (had a 1992 and sold it at 200k). . But right now here is what I have happen. I'm getting lousy gas mileage in town, like 15 or less? But its a lot of less then 5 miles per trip. I redid the top half a little bit ago, Oct 2008 due to oil usage. Fixed the valve guide leaks but it still uses oil, on a trip it does like 1 qt per 500 miles or so? At 6K RPM she puts out a cloud of smoke (quick acceleration) . On a trip I get from 28-32 MPG if I don't run the air and keep it at 55 MPH and 65-75 MPH and air going its more like 25-28 MPG. It was a little sluggish but I put a new filter in and that seems to solve that (AC on it was sluggish) I had last put filter on in 2008 Oct. It doesn't seem to put out smoke like some cars do on idle. Any ideas? I checked the PCV valve which by sucking on it it stops one way and not the other. (air movement) Which it was replaced in like Oct 2008 as well. Any ideas? Oil rings? Comp rings? I can tear the car apart in my sleep and put it back together but don't really know the technical stuff. (and it works as well if not better when I'm done, not back yard duct tape type, take stuff apart and not know what to do then.)

I love the car, just wish I knew if the oil consumption was a big problem. (yes thats bad but is it something I can just add oil for the next 50 K miles or is it something that will die yesterday)

130 K miles on Odometer if they didn't do something before I bought it (crooked). Timing belt and all that replaced when I did the head.

Thanks
    Hey there,
    My car is 93 and over 145,000 miles now. what price can I get for my Accord EX? What's a price that I should look into spending to get my car in tip top shape again if I decide to not sell it?
    Thanks
    Jim
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Check out Kelley Blue Book to determine what your car is worth. They're at www.kbb.com
    hey Grad

KBB shows I can get $2100 for my car and that is in fair condition, poor was not an option.
  • hondacb7boyhondacb7boy Member Posts: 2
    i am having huge problems with my accord CB7.. i have the f22a6 in it.. so bassically my car starts only when it wants to it.. i think its the fuel pump relay but i CANT find it.. i have auto start on the car and i think they may have cut off my relay and somehow connected the autostart to turn the pump on.. the fuel pump does not turn on half the time.. i need help please make suggestions because the relay is nowere to be found under the dash
    cb7,
    This link may help you. The main relay will usually have more problems when it's hot inside the car. If you could park in the shade it may help until you can get another relay in there (if that's your problem). Good luck
    http://techauto.awardspace.com/
    PS: The relay should be under the dash bolted to the side near the driver side door.
  • hondacb7boyhondacb7boy Member Posts: 2
    ive looked and still cannot find the relay.. it is not bulted into the side or anywere els.. i am so confused
    Hi all,
    I replaced my fuel pump 2 yrs ago due to poor fuel supply. I feel it's the fuel pump, fuel injection system or spark plugs that needs to be checked out now. I smell strong fuel when getting out of car when I park. My car jerks as I drive as if the fuel is not flowing evenly. What's the best way to get a true engine reading? Or a fuel system diagnostic test?

Jim
  • maggiem1952maggiem1952 Member Posts: 3
    my wires were taken off accidentally and I need to know the firing order on the distributor for a 1990 honda accord lx and where is the number one post located?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Okay, your distibutor cap has a little ARROW to mark # 1 cylinder--it points to where #1 wire should go in.

Starting there, you go CLOCKWISE 1-3-4-2.

Your engine's cylinders, starting from the FRONT of the car, are 4-3-2-1.

So you plug #1 wire from cap to # 1 cylinder, #3 wire to #3 cylinder, and so on.
  • bajajoesbajajoes Member Posts: 48
    I realize your post is from 2005 but if you are around I wanted to ask how/why

todays oils are so superior to pre 1999 at preventing sludge build-up?

:)
  • queenpooh88queenpooh88 Member Posts: 3
    I desperately need a car ive found a 90 Honda Accord Ex with about 149k for sale for $1950 in my area. I havent went to see it up close yet but from the pics ive seen online it looks like its in real good condition, the interior looks very clean, CD player installed,sunroof, mag wheels, new paint job it looks like. But im worried about the car being soo OLD. Everyone tells me Hondas are like extremely reliable so can anyone share sum insight??
    A 90 Accord is a good reliable car, that is, if the maintenance and repairs have been kept up. Little things will go wrong over the years, but if the previous owner took care of them as they happened, it could be in great shape. If he/she let things go, it could be a nightmare. I suggest getting someone (professional) to check the car out for you, before buying. I had a 92 Accord for 12 years. I loved that car, and still miss it.
    Thanx!!!
    i have a 1990 honda accord lx and i just had the starter replaced while driving it home the engine light came on and the car started loosing power. I tried to restart the car and abosutely nothig happened like the battery was dead. I charged the battery and replaced it back into the car and the car started right away. I was wondering if it could be the alternator and how could i test it to find out if this is the problem or is there something else happening. The battery is brand new. Thanks for the help it is appreciated.
    About how much would it cost me to replace a bulb for a brake light on a 1990 Honda Accord Ex? Is it expensive?
    Shouldn't be more than a few dollars.
  • jessi82jessi82 Member Posts: 2
    I have been having a problem with the front drivers side wheel, making a clunking sound when I go down rough roads or over bumps near the middle of the road. It's not my CV joint. I know that for a fact. My question is, is it the ball joint? If it is, how do I know if it's the upper or lower or whatever to look for to purchase it. It sounds like a wobbly-clunk, haha, if that helps. I don't have money for a mechanic right now, otherwise, I would take it to one. Please help!
  • jessi82jessi82 Member Posts: 2
    I have also been having problems with the tranny. Changed out the speed sensors, and changed the tranny fluid at the same time. But, to no avail. My tranny seems like it's wearing down. My car doesn't shift until I hit about 4-4.5 grand, unless I let off the accelerator after 3. I'm confused about what to do. I really need to have a reliable vehicle asap, as I'm 8 months pregnant, and will have a little one soon. I don't have a lot of money right now for a mechanic, so any suggestions as to how to fix it for not a lot of moolah, would be very greatly appreciated.
    If the transmission fluid was really dirty when you changed it, It could be that the shift solenoid screen is clogged up. Check this link. It has a lot of helpful information on the 4th generation Accord (90-93). It may help you narrow the possibilities. Good luck
    http://techauto.awardspace.com/transmission.html
    I have a 1990 honda accord lx and recently i have been having problems with the battery dying. I believe it might be the alternator but also the check engine light is coming on and also right before the car dies this green s light comes on. What does the green s light mean can anyone tell me? Thanks.
    I believe the "S" light is for the "Sport Shift". You can read up on it, at this link.
    PS: You might want to save this link, for future reference.
  • riccardo2riccardo2 Member Posts: 11
    I have a '91 Accord EX, with an automatic transmission and only about 55,000 miles on it. I would like to keep it as long as I can. About two months ago, I had the timing belt replaced, and then the gas gauge, and then only a week or so ago a relay switch to the fuel pump, after it would not start. I was ok driving for about a day. On the past Saturday, as I pulled front first into a parking spot at a shopping center, the car suddenly revved up and lurched forward, as if both the transmission and throttle had gone crazy, with a loud screeching and clunking sound. I stopped it by putting the T Bar in neutral and applying the brake pedal. I had the car towed back to my mechanic. He says that he has gone over every possible site for a problem and finds nothing wrong with the transmission and fuel system. At this point, I am very reluctant to drive it. Does anyone know the solution?
    This type of thing has happened to me before. You push on the brake pedal, and don't realize your foot is also on the accelerator pedal. It's easy to do, because the pedals are so close together. Maybe this is what happened to you. Lucky for me, and you, we didn't hit anything. This type of thing happens all the time, and people swear the car accelerated on it's own. Many accidents are caused this way, and statistics of numerous investigations have indicated the cause to be simply driver error. Do an internet search on "sudden acceleration", and you will probably find this is very common.
    elroy5,

Thanks for the answer. But I cannot agree that what you suggested is what actually happened as I use only my right foot on either pedal. Your suggestion is frequently given, but first look at this site for some disagreement and discussion on this matter.
    http://home.comcast.net/~nessim1/SuddenAccelerationNotMyth.htm

Then "google" the phrase "sudden acceleration". It's apparently a wide spread problem that the manufacturers have strongly fought to deny. There is a wide consensus that there is much more to it than driver error.
    Very interesting. I can remember seeing a 60 minutes show about sudden acceleration, and they had basicly said the instances were 99% driver error. Have you had the cruise control cable checked out? I would like to know if you find this is the problem.

But I cannot agree that what you suggested is what actually happened as I use only my right foot on either pedal.

You definitely can push both pedals, at the same time, with only your right foot. That's what I had done (I never use my left foot to drive). I was pushing down on the brake pedal, but the side of my right foot was still pushing on the accelerator. It was very scary, because I wanted to stop, and pushed harder on the brake pedal, which also pushed the accelerator down even farther. I am not saying this is what happened to you, just saying it can happen, using only your right foot, as I do.
  • jercrawfordjercrawford Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1990 Honda Accord EX and i love it. Has 187K miles and runs like a tank. All prev. maintenance has been done!

Just a few problems..
    When i turn the car off it wont restart and i have to wait a good 5 minutes till it will turn over again. I changed out the fuel filter and the problem still exists. Possibly Vapor lock?

Tranny shifts hard! Another forum tells me it can be corrected by adding a bottle of Lubeguard conditioner to the automatic transmission fluid.

I dont wanna blow a bunch of money. Can you help me troubleshoot!?
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    Whatever you do, don't add any conditioner to the tranny.

Back when I had my 88 Accord, I had a chat with a local Import service garage. The guy who ran the shop was a former Honda master mechanic who decided to go out on his own. He is very knowledgeable on the Honda transmissions (at least the older ones) and he said whatever I do, DON"T add anything besides transmission fluid to the car. He claimed conditioners added to Accords soften the adhesives used in the friction clutches. Once the adhesive starts to let go, the tranny will need a rebuild.

A good mutual friend of the mechanic and I has known him for years and has nothing but high regards for him. The friend commented that he even gets Hondas from the local dealer when they can't figure out whats wrong with the car, so based on that, I'm going to trust his advice.

Replacing the fluid with genuine Honda fluid should help smooth out the shifting. Don't flush it, just change it (a couple of times if necessary) should do the trick.

Mrbill
    When the car will not start, you need to find out what is missing. Spark or fuel? That would at least narrow the possibilities.
    Have you checked the condition of the transmission fluid? A simple drain and fill (3 quarts of Honda fluid) may help. All Accords of that generation shift a little hard, but if the fluid is old and dirty, some fresh fluid can help.
    I had a starting problem that was fixed just a week or so ago. For a while, it had been intermittent, sometimes starting and sometimes not, then it finally quit entirely. It turned out to be a relay switch that ignites the fuel pump. The replacement component was about $90.00, but the labor was about $250 more (ouch!) Only a day or so after I got it back, I had the "unintended acceleration" incident. My mechanic disconnected the cruise control cable and examined and cleaned the linkage going to the throttle. But he's still convinced that it was a case of "driver error." The argument over whether it is due to some hidden defect or a result of a foot intended for the brake, but misplaced on the accelerated is all over the automotive forums --- and seems to still be unsettled.
  • chuyrage13chuyrage13 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1990 honda accord and it is pulsing up and down. i cant figur out how to fix the idleing problem. what would it be if some one could give me some hints i would be thankfule
  • nhicksnhicks Member Posts: 1
    My daughter's car is a 1990 Honda Accord EX with 170k miles. The car needs struts. She is in Baltimore and a student. Unfortunately, we are not in Baltimore. We are looking for a reputable and reliable service station you would recommend in Baltimore, MD.
    nancy
    I wish that I could help you. I'm very sorry, but I don't know any mechanics in the Baltimore area. If you asked about Philadelphia, I could help a bit, but not Baltimore!
  • glynosglynos Member Posts: 3
    Hi, my 90 accord lx 2.2 is having some kind of electrical problem. Sometimes it will start, sometimes not. It always cranks over fine. When I'm driving my dash lights will flash on and off-- (the red lights showing doors and trunk being open) Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.
    hi all,
    I had a good friend (street mechanic) replace my fuel pump 2 years ago on my 93 Honda Accord Ex. It's been running ok so far but recently I've noticed while my car is nearly on empty, my fuel gauge pointer rises up. what can cause this?

Could the code 43 I've found on my car cause this? Code 43 points to fuel supply system

thanks
    Jim
    Hi again,
    I found code 43 due to engine light lights up after driving for a while.
  • veezabeastveezabeast Member Posts: 2
    i have a 92 honda accord that recently went out on me. at first it kept dying on my while i was on the hiway, but after a couple mins. it would start back up. now when i try to start the car it will crank but will not turn over. when i turn the ignition to the second switch, nothing comes on besides my radio and my heater. my turn signals do not work but the hazards do. and my power windows will not work either but the head lights do
  • befries1332befries1332 Member Posts: 5
    Okay so i have a 1990 honda accord ex, yesterday we went to go and do the timing and when we tried to put the car into limp mode we got a code 6, now the timing is way off but the car runs like a top so we are very confused on what code 6 is and why its running so well being 2 degress off so if you have any sugestions please let me know thank you
    Blake
    Sounds like you have a bad ignition switch (electrical part, not lock cylinder). It's the only thing that controls all the things you mentioned. Take a look at this link. It can give you more information, if you decide to test, and change the part yourself. Good luck
    http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignitionswitch.html
    Hi all

My older brother has 18" rims he wants to sell me but I want to make sure they'll fit my 93' Accord. Will 18" rims with 4 lugs fit my car?

Thanks
    cybercool
    Hi all,
    I bought a used TCM box from Ebay® and installed it in my 93 AccordEX.
    It resolved the blinking D4 light for just a few weeks and the problem came back. Should I buy a new TCM box? I read that the blinking D4 can be related to a fuel issue like the Oxygen sensor. My car just wont get off 2nd gear drives like a snail. How can I get back my true horse power from my Honda?

Please help as I don't have much $$$ to put into my Accord.
    Thanks
    Jim
    I'd be afraid it'd screw up something in a front-wheel drive car. Someone else may know better though.
    Please, get the D4 light problem fixed, before buying 18" wheels. Wheels that large are going to put extra strain on the engine, transmission, axles, etc.
    I would try to get the code from the transmission, so it can at least point you in the right direction. If I had to guess, I'd say either your shift solenoids are malfunctioning, or you have another bad computer. Here's the link again, to help you diagnose it. Good luck
  • veezabeastveezabeast Member Posts: 2
    thanks. i'll give it a try