Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Excursion vs Chevy Suburban/GMC Yukon XL - The battle of the titans

Comments

• kreykrey Posts: 41
    Interesting, though not uplifting, diatribe but the problem with your logic is simply that the majority of drivers of both suburbans and excursions are WOMEN, not men. They do use parking garages and have to fit their vehicles into the insanely small parking spaces at supermarkets and schools. Good thing too, because us men like to eat and know that our kids are being taken care of while we men are out "slaying all the dragons."

No, real MEN drive whatever they need to get the job done, nothing more. Those who drive big, jacked-up trucks just to look good are nothing more than WIMP wannabes.
  • phil62phil62 Posts: 6
    I am soooooo embarrassed. Imagine my chagrin in discovering a sexual identity crisis as I approach middle age. As I recall, my analysis of my automotive needs -- which I thought utilized logic and practicality -- was based on several considerations:
    1. I've got a wife (Sob; how will I ever face her?) and three kids.
    2. I engage in such effeminate hobbies as surf fishing and astronomy.
    3. A large suv with four-wheel drive might be just the ticket, if I can afford it.
    4. The wife and I have frequent business in the big city (Houston, for the geographically challenged), and will probably soon be living there again.
    5. The wife will be the main driver of the machine.
    6. The Suburban would be ideal, but as our esteemed friend pointed out, has lousy reliability.
    7. Since to my great shame I lack sufficient body parts in the, ahem, lower frontal regions, I am not able to work, live, play exclusively in the country. Therefore, the Excursion would probably be too big for me.
    8. The Expedition and Sequoia remain as options. Dilemma: Sequoia reliability will probably be better than the Ford, but costs about $10K more.

Due to the above, I'm leaning toward the Sequoia, but no final decision yet. And finally, with regards to "gripping" about parking garages, I must reluctantly agree that I shouldn't do it. After all, as useful as opposable thumbs are, engaging in such behavior in the vicinity of attractive young housewives in parking garages could get a guy arrested -- questionable orientation or not. Oops, I've gotta' go; there's a run in my pantyhose.
  • kreykrey Posts: 41
    Great post!

Back to business, however. I too looked at the Sequoia and, frankly, if it hadn't been for the fact that it's the first year of the model, I would have opted for one instead of the Yukon we got instead. I've had several Toyotas before, and have had zero problems. The build quality and durability were great. I just never, ever, buy the first year of anything. I've heard a few (there are not many of these on the road yet) complaints about the 4wd and traction control systems; we live where there are lots of snow and ice, so people around here are pretty sensitive about those things.

As to which car is really better, it depends...on needs, and a lot of luck. Truthfully, I 've got a lot of friends and acquaintances who own both the Ford and the GMC. Most have had great experiences, others not. I wish there wasn't as much luck involved as there is, but so it goes. But, and this is just my opinion, Ford missed the mark with the Excursion. The beast is simply too tall and the turning radius is unbelievable. If Ford fixes those details, it's a player.

My $0.02 worth
  • phil62phil62 Posts: 6
    Thanks for the kudos. I also have to say you raise a good point re: first year manufacture of a vehicle. It's only because it's a Toyota that I would even consider a first year. I have a 92 Honda Accord, while my brother has had several Toyotas and a Honda. Without exception, they have been quality vehicles, and have rarely needed anything other than routine maintenance. Since this is an Excursion/Suburban topic, however, I should get back on track. One thing I've been curious about is the diesels in both makes. Any of you folks have data, anecdotes or opinions on the relative merits and reliability of the diesel engines in the Ford vs. the GM? Thanks.
  • jkidd2jkidd2 Posts: 218
    This is similar to our last election, I guess I'll vote for the lesser of two evils....the Suburban.
  • Phil62,

The new GM diesel, the Duramax, is -- according to what I've read on the web -- not going to be available in the Burb until the 2003 model year :-(

When it is available, I've read, it is not going to be mated to the Allison transmission. (IMHO I believe that GM is really missing the boat here by not making the Allison available with the Duramax.) Also, apparently GM is going to "de-tune" the Duramax so that it will not tear up the tranny currently in the Burb. So, you will be able to get a diesel but not the diesel/tranny configuration currently available in the HDs.

Hopefully the Duramax will become the same class engine that Ford's PSD is today. Only time will tell.

As for the PSD...here is some information that I've pulled off the www.ford-diesel.com site regarding statements made during a presentation by Lew Echlin, Ford's Marketing Manager for Super Duty and Excursion products:

begin quote ->
    "Recently I had the opportunity to give a presentation to over 3000 of our Ford Dealers during an intensive set of Dealer meetings meant to prepare them for the coming year. I was talking about only the toughest trucks - the over 8500 lbs GVW type, like our beloved F-250s though F-550s. Now, while I went on and on about the technical dominance of F-Series Super Duty trucks over their Dodge and new Chevy and GMC competitors, I stopped dead in the middle of the speech and asked 'How can we talk F-Series Super Duty without talking about Powerstroke?' the engine that made Super Duty what it is today. As if on cue, many Dealers knowingly shook their heads, because they know that we CAN'T talk about F-Series Super Duty trucks without talking about Powerstroke diesel.

So I devoted the rest of my speech to the new facts on the Powerstroke engine for 2001 and how it stacked up to the new Isuzu/GM Duramax engine, and I thought I share these facts with you.

There are three things that Powerstoke has at its very foundation of toughness:
    1) Powerstroke is Proven in the market among customers like you
    2) Powerstroke doesn't just look good on paper, it has 'street credibility' as the work engine and
    3) Powerstroke is NOT a high maintenance, temperamental engine, it's designed for easy and low maintenance. In my effort to keep you empowered with key facts about F-Series Super Duty and Excursion, let's give you some key 'did ya knows'.

Ford Powerstroke is Proven in the Market. Did you Know:

- Powerstroke is the best selling engine in its class, Diesel OR gas
    - Powerstroke outsells all diesel competitors, combined
    - Powerstroke has been proven in over 1 million Built Ford Tough trucks
    - Statistics show that even at 250,000 miles in service, 90% of Powerstroke engines have no repairs requiring head, pan or front cover removal.

Powerstroke is the Work Engine. Did you Know:

- The turbo charged Power Stroke turbo diesel provides peak power sooner, reaching peak torque power at 1600 RPM vs. 1800 RPM for Duramax.
    - Power Stroke has an industry leading low-pressure common rail fuel system that is electronically controlled and hydraulically activated (HEUI), technology borrowed from medium truck applications.
    - Power Stroke offers a proven tough solid 'V' block design with uniform cast iron block and cast iron heads, while Isuzu/GM Duramax has cast iron block with aluminum heads.
    - Powerstroke now offers 520 ft./lbs. of Built Ford Tough torque in manual applications (and 505 in automatics)

Powerstroke is Designed for Low Maintenance. Did you Know:

-The lubrication system on the Powerstroke employs reusable gaskets.
    - Powerstoke has an easy-to-access, spin off fuel filter and a visible air filter cleaner reminder.
    - Powerstroke is so tough it has been certified for underground mining applications (and applied in countless other industries) and can even run on 'low lubricity' Diesel fuel like aviation fuel.

And to back this all up, Power Stroke comes with a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty standard in every F250-550 and Ford Excursion."
    <- end quote

Ford has some very impressive things to say about the PSD and GM is bringing a new engine to this party. The PSD has the lead but the Duramax has potential. As I stated earlier, only time will tell.
  • GexGex Posts: 1
    Any news on when the Excursion is getting the adjustable pedals option?

It was suppose to be a 2000 model option.
  • http://fordtruckstore.com for great deals and they ship to your local dealer..............
  • Well, I started this discussion over a year ago to promote talk about the upcoming war between the two titans of the SUV realm. Little did I know that my discussion would turn out so large. One year later, we have 4 titanic SUVs on the market, even more reason to keep the talk(or war) going, so keep sharing your thought and opinions and maybe a Ford SUV loyalist and a GM SUV loyalist will come to their senses and just get a truck or a minivan ... or not.
  • lrc1lrc1 Posts: 2
    I also used Dodge Vans for towing my 26 and then 32 foot TT. They were great tow vehicles asp. the 94 with the Magnum 318. Then I purchased the X. V-10, 430 rear. My opinion is "NO Comparison"! The Excursion tows with much greater stability and ease. I have 45K plus on the beast. I have towed from Quebec to the Florida Keys. No problems with stability, rear end sag, cross wind sway etc. This truck can tow. Also I have not installed a rear end sway bar. Which I have installed on the vans. The X just don't seem to need it.
  • heatwave3heatwave3 Posts: 462
    Irc1: The real "king" of tow vehicles is the 2001 3/4 ton Suburban or Yukon XL with the 8.1L engine and 4.10 rear. 30 more hp than a V-10 Excursion (GM 340hp vs Ford 310hp), 30 more ft lbs of torque (GM 455 ft lbs vs Ford 425 ft lbs), better gas mileage and 2000lbs more tow capacity (GM 12,000 lbs vs Ford 10,000lbs).

GM has no match for heavy load towing when compared with any other non-commercial/non-military vehicle with 4 wheels.
  • ecs4truecs4tru Posts: 3
    I understand that Suburbans come from either Wisconsin or Mexico...I ordered a vehicle stipulating manufacture in Wisconsin, but the dealer called today to tell me the vehicle which is expected next week was made in Mexico. I'd appreciate any comments helpful to this situation. Please advise as to Mexico plant quality and buyer experience. How does this fit with, "made in the heartland of America?" Thanks.
  • starrow68starrow68 Posts: 1,142
    The interior of the Sub has been shrinking for years, owned a '71 (CarryAll actually), an '82 6.2L and '90 454. Started out hauling horses and now mostly put in sled dogs, don't ask. But when looking at new Sub's I couldn't fit in 4 airline kennels side by side from back of front seat to tail gate in new Sub. In the Excursion, it works, still with a tight side alley fit but no fit in the Sub. So now I drive weekends in the 4x2 Limited V-10 and love it, but it is not an everyday car. Trip computer says getting 11.5mpg but last two tanks checking fill up say 12 plus a fraction doing simple math.

Not sure where the problems with GMC/Chevy came up on engine tranny problems but did one Trans in the 6.2L and the engine in the 454 both under warranty.

Remember, SUV as a term has only been around, less than ten years? These are just oversized wagons when you get out of the ego thing.
  • tt66tt66 Posts: 9
    Can anyone provide MPG values for the Excursion Diesel?
  • barbinbarbin Posts: 1
    I have an excursion, and I have to say it is wonderful. Driving it, parking it, no big deal. I am a mother of four and had a suburban before my excursion. No contest. Excursion has won me over. It does fit in my garage. I have a super large garage. My husbands 4 door diesel 4wd ford truck also fits with plenty of room to spare. However, there are some drive through windows I cannot fit in. Parking garages are another task. A recent trip to New Or leans cost us a little extra to park. Acceleration is another matter. But living in Louisiana it's not a big deal. Fuel mileage has improve with the help of special chip. I love the rear detection.
  • greg116greg116 Posts: 116
    I'm going to make every effort to keep my head off the chopping block. It's all just IMO, so please bear with me.

From what I can tell, there's really no reason for the Excursion, other than Ford was getting pissed off at how GM was raking in the profits with the Suburban.

Unless you REALLY think you need the extra two cubic feet of cargo space, or youre a die-hard Ford fan, then theres really no reason to buy one of these monsters.

The Chevrolet Suburban/Yukon XL 2500 is lighter, more powerful (with the new engines), better on gas(which probably shouldn't matter anyways if you can afford one of these) and can tow more. The new Duramax Deisel outclasses the Power Stroke (that IS an informed opinion), and the 8100 big-block simply cannot compare to the Ford V10.

Moreover, I hear Chevy is introducing a SIX-DOOR Suburban for 2002. Wow.

Now, mind you, I would NEVER consider buying one of these monstrosities, i'd rather get a Crew Cab HD if I had to seat four or five (I NEVER want that many kids...) and tow a 30-foot boat or camper.

Around here, there has been a lot of used Excursions up for sale. Wether it's first-year peices falling off, absolutely dismal fuel economy, or people waking up to the fact that theyre driving something they really don't need, sales of the Excursion have dropped.
  • 390gt390gt Posts: 17
    Nothing falling off our Excursion. The build quality is excellent and it feels very solid after 14,000 miles since July. Have you driven one? I suggest you drive a broken in V10 or PSD, they get better with more miles. Actually mileage, even with the V10 is pretty good 11 and 14 with all 5 kids on board. My wife's Expedition has more second seat room than the Sub. I see alot of reasons for the Excursion. I think alot of Sub owners have switched over. The only advantage my be the ride of the Sub. but with a few upgrades to the Excursion(improved shocks and steering stabilizer) the ride improves drastically. Besides if I had bought a Sub/Yuk I would have to lift the front end to level it. It looks like a 2wd in the front and a 4wd from the rear. That extra room in the Excursion makes a big difference in everyday use, ask my 6'2 14 year old with size 14 feet.
  • jzarlijzarli Posts: 7
    If you are going to rationalize smaller & lighter is better, then you should seriously consider Chevys own Astrovan. I've owned 2 and they are a great vehicle. Other than the modest passenger seat, the Astro has more room than the Suburban and costs $15k less! It can tow 4k-5k lbs.
    I really don't care how many Excursions Ford sells. They sold a million Superduties and the Ex is based on them. Parts will never be a problem. Here in So FL, Subs are always $5k more than the Ex. You'll pay an extra $100/month to save that $20 in gas. That can buy a lot of gas, and I can further limit my costs by not using the Ex when I don't need to go big. The Exc is bigger & costs less. How can you argue that?
    The real answer will be over the long haul when we find out if Ford put that extra weight to good use, or what did Chevy take out to save 1500 lbs.
  • vendingvending Posts: 14
    All you people sound like a bunch of whining babies. Get a life. It's a truck. So what if the 8.1L chevy engine can pull the Excursion to Kentucky and back or the Excursion sits really high for those little minded people that feel like they have more power. Get a life! Good grief. I've owned the expedition, Yukon 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. (don't need a vehical that drives like a school bus so haven't bought the Excursion) and they're all good trucks. Pros and cons of all of them. Though, if the expedition stuck another 18 inches on the back and only lengthing the wheel base 8 inches, i'd buy two of them. The sad thing is that you guys have such poor self esteems that you have to find it in your trucks. No wonder half of you are divorced. Your trucks are more important than serving your wife.
    You can ignore them!

Greg Says: From what I can tell, there's really no reason for the Excursion

And so, you haven't bought one, but others do find a use and so they, like me, have one in the garage. Forced to leave it for internet access but on weekends it is great for hauling dogs, don't ask how many, I might get in trouble.

And, as vending points out, who designates all the experts? and why do they think that their opinion really matters, and so 'get a life' and drive what you want, maybe a Hummer or a SmartCar, whatever makes you happy and don't let the rest of the world create heart burn. If you were really happy the rest of the world wouldn't get to you. IMO

Have a nice day!
  • jzarlijzarli Posts: 7
    This IS an auto forum, and THIS topic IS devoted to a Ford vs Chevy debate. It's kind of a fun thing. If a Chevy with a bigger motor & a lighter truck really is a better formula, that would seem appropriate grounds for debate here.
    Suffice it to say that if my wife did not like our Excursion it would not be in our driveway.
    I do agree, and have mentioned it somewhere here in Edmunds, that a stretched Expedition might be more appropriate for folks who don't need the towing ability of the Excursion.
  • jogibajogiba Posts: 27
    That is why I chose the Excursion over Suburban.And I have not bought a car since the 70's....all trucks. And the Excursion is a truck.I also have a ZR2 4x4 S-10 pickup,34' motorhome and ZX-11 Kawasaki .
  • I was never a Ford fan in the past. In a previous life, as an engineer for G.M. (networking), we received discounts on G.M. vehicles and had good luck with most. Over the last several years I was entitled to a Ford discount through a relative and decided to purchase a P.S.D. Excursion. Low maintenance and great gas mileage. I cover two states in a sales roll and travel almost daily. Diesel fuel is usually less expensive (about 15 cents/gallon) and I get better mileage from my SD than we do from our Chevy Blazer. (PSD 18+mpg combinded, Chevy about 16.5). This is the first vehicle we've owned (in 24 years of driving) that has not been in for service at this mileage point. The con to owing this vehicle is:
    1, Difficult parking in some situations.
    2, You always end up driving friends and families to events.

Pros:
    1, Great on sales calls for lunch and dinner appointments, can fit all in comfort.
    2, Good diesel milage (7700lbs and 18+mpg)
    3, Easy to merge into traffic (eveyone seems to stay away and less tailgaters).
    4, 2 families of 4 can fit all cargo in the vehicle.
    5, 750+ miles on a tank of gas.
    6, When leaving the sub at 7am, neighbors think the garbage truck is early and scramble to get trash to curb.

So what if someone else has a few more horse power or a couple more pounds or torque. Although I don't frequent drag strips, there probably are few Suburbans or Excursions warming up their tires for the 1/4 mile.
  • 390gt390gt Posts: 17
    The Excursion is in a class of it's own. I've owned 4 Econolines in various forms. No comparison. Econolines are good to haul but have many weak points. Poor brakes and ball joints, combined with the old twin I-beam make for worn tires, brake pads that last only 20,000 miles if your lucky. The rear seats on Club wagons are like park benches. They also use the lighter transmission in the E-150's even with the 5.4 L.
    Not great for towing unless you opt for a E-350.

The Suburban is more like an Expedition, smooth ride good handling and towing. For some people the Excursion is excellent, lots of comfortable seats, good cargo space, very stable on highway and great 4WD traction. My wife was driving our Excursion but now I have it. We traded a 99 E-150 for an Expedition. I feel safer in either the Excursion or Expedition over the E-150. You can't compare Vans to the large SUV's. It all depends on what you use it for. Our family outgrew the Van.
    skeewb said:
    "I still see no reason to buy an Excursion other than macho status(ESPECIALLY in the case of FEMALE drivers)."

Did your mind grow after 1950? If anyone needs to load an SUV what diference does it make who is driving? As for you're seeing no reason to buy an Excursion, good for you, but there are a few people who do see the need for it and consider it safer than a Van and are willing and capable of paying for that set of facts. Maybe you ought to consider that while you are entitled to your opinion that at the same time, there are intelligent people with different views and maybe your needs and wants are not the limit of the universe and just maybe some of those people may be just a bit brighter than you may be giving them credit for? It is always possible, you know. And enjoy what you drive, I do, or I wouldn't have bought it.
  • jogibajogiba Posts: 27
    skeewb...how can you compare an Excursion to an Econoline van ? I bought a 4x4 PDS Excursion Limited because of dutch doors, 44 gal tank,standard class IV hitch and 20mpg @60mph .I can drive my Excursion on the sand..try that with the Econoline van.You should work for Consumer Reports because they are totally clueless about TRUCKS.
    Should I get a Hypertech computer chip for my Excursion? Is it a good investment?

Also looking at dual exhaust.

Has anybody noticed any better results in terms of performance and fuel efficiency?

Had mine for one week and love it. It's actually a real truck. It doesn't drive nearly as well as my 2000 yukon xl, or even my 97 expedition but I can pull them both through the mud at the same time:)
    Hey! What happened to the Ford Excursion board???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,576
    Hi vending,

We've been having database problems. Hang in there; things should be back to normal soon (I hope!).

Meanwhile, try this link: Ford ExcursionTopic Consolidation

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• jgmilbergjgmilberg Posts: 872
    Esc4tru, you are correct, they are built in Janesville,WI or Silaeo, Mexico. You can ask to have it built at either, but the reality is GM builds them where ever they want to regardless of where you want it from. You can refuse the truck until you get one made in the US, if you choose, but it will always be a crap shoot. I have a 3/4 ton Yukon XL built in Mexico. I have not had it to the dealer once for service, other than oil change. Fit and finish is great, no squeaks rattles, leaks, wind noise. Paint job is superb, smooth as glass, no orange peel. I wouldn't worry about it being built in Mexico, I have seen ones built in the US and this one actually surpasses them slightly in some areas, like paint, and squeaks.
This discussion has been closed.