Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Excursion vs Chevy Suburban/GMC Yukon XL - The battle of the titans

Comments

• heatwave3heatwave3 Member Posts: 462
    Irc1: The real "king" of tow vehicles is the 2001 3/4 ton Suburban or Yukon XL with the 8.1L engine and 4.10 rear. 30 more hp than a V-10 Excursion (GM 340hp vs Ford 310hp), 30 more ft lbs of torque (GM 455 ft lbs vs Ford 425 ft lbs), better gas mileage and 2000lbs more tow capacity (GM 12,000 lbs vs Ford 10,000lbs).

GM has no match for heavy load towing when compared with any other non-commercial/non-military vehicle with 4 wheels.
  • ecs4truecs4tru Member Posts: 3
    I understand that Suburbans come from either Wisconsin or Mexico...I ordered a vehicle stipulating manufacture in Wisconsin, but the dealer called today to tell me the vehicle which is expected next week was made in Mexico. I'd appreciate any comments helpful to this situation. Please advise as to Mexico plant quality and buyer experience. How does this fit with, "made in the heartland of America?" Thanks.
  • starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    The interior of the Sub has been shrinking for years, owned a '71 (CarryAll actually), an '82 6.2L and '90 454. Started out hauling horses and now mostly put in sled dogs, don't ask. But when looking at new Sub's I couldn't fit in 4 airline kennels side by side from back of front seat to tail gate in new Sub. In the Excursion, it works, still with a tight side alley fit but no fit in the Sub. So now I drive weekends in the 4x2 Limited V-10 and love it, but it is not an everyday car. Trip computer says getting 11.5mpg but last two tanks checking fill up say 12 plus a fraction doing simple math.

Not sure where the problems with GMC/Chevy came up on engine tranny problems but did one Trans in the 6.2L and the engine in the 454 both under warranty.

Remember, SUV as a term has only been around, less than ten years? These are just oversized wagons when you get out of the ego thing.
  • tt66tt66 Member Posts: 9
    Can anyone provide MPG values for the Excursion Diesel?
  • barbinbarbin Member Posts: 1
    I have an excursion, and I have to say it is wonderful. Driving it, parking it, no big deal. I am a mother of four and had a suburban before my excursion. No contest. Excursion has won me over. It does fit in my garage. I have a super large garage. My husbands 4 door diesel 4wd ford truck also fits with plenty of room to spare. However, there are some drive through windows I cannot fit in. Parking garages are another task. A recent trip to New Or leans cost us a little extra to park. Acceleration is another matter. But living in Louisiana it's not a big deal. Fuel mileage has improve with the help of special chip. I love the rear detection.
  • greg116greg116 Member Posts: 116
    I'm going to make every effort to keep my head off the chopping block. It's all just IMO, so please bear with me.

From what I can tell, there's really no reason for the Excursion, other than Ford was getting pissed off at how GM was raking in the profits with the Suburban.

Unless you REALLY think you need the extra two cubic feet of cargo space, or youre a die-hard Ford fan, then theres really no reason to buy one of these monsters.

The Chevrolet Suburban/Yukon XL 2500 is lighter, more powerful (with the new engines), better on gas(which probably shouldn't matter anyways if you can afford one of these) and can tow more. The new Duramax Deisel outclasses the Power Stroke (that IS an informed opinion), and the 8100 big-block simply cannot compare to the Ford V10.

Moreover, I hear Chevy is introducing a SIX-DOOR Suburban for 2002. Wow.

Now, mind you, I would NEVER consider buying one of these monstrosities, i'd rather get a Crew Cab HD if I had to seat four or five (I NEVER want that many kids...) and tow a 30-foot boat or camper.

Around here, there has been a lot of used Excursions up for sale. Wether it's first-year peices falling off, absolutely dismal fuel economy, or people waking up to the fact that theyre driving something they really don't need, sales of the Excursion have dropped.
  • 390gt390gt Member Posts: 17
    Nothing falling off our Excursion. The build quality is excellent and it feels very solid after 14,000 miles since July. Have you driven one? I suggest you drive a broken in V10 or PSD, they get better with more miles. Actually mileage, even with the V10 is pretty good 11 and 14 with all 5 kids on board. My wife's Expedition has more second seat room than the Sub. I see alot of reasons for the Excursion. I think alot of Sub owners have switched over. The only advantage my be the ride of the Sub. but with a few upgrades to the Excursion(improved shocks and steering stabilizer) the ride improves drastically. Besides if I had bought a Sub/Yuk I would have to lift the front end to level it. It looks like a 2wd in the front and a 4wd from the rear. That extra room in the Excursion makes a big difference in everyday use, ask my 6'2 14 year old with size 14 feet.
  • jzarlijzarli Member Posts: 7
    If you are going to rationalize smaller & lighter is better, then you should seriously consider Chevys own Astrovan. I've owned 2 and they are a great vehicle. Other than the modest passenger seat, the Astro has more room than the Suburban and costs $15k less! It can tow 4k-5k lbs.
    I really don't care how many Excursions Ford sells. They sold a million Superduties and the Ex is based on them. Parts will never be a problem. Here in So FL, Subs are always $5k more than the Ex. You'll pay an extra $100/month to save that $20 in gas. That can buy a lot of gas, and I can further limit my costs by not using the Ex when I don't need to go big. The Exc is bigger & costs less. How can you argue that?
    The real answer will be over the long haul when we find out if Ford put that extra weight to good use, or what did Chevy take out to save 1500 lbs.
  • vendingvending Member Posts: 14
    All you people sound like a bunch of whining babies. Get a life. It's a truck. So what if the 8.1L chevy engine can pull the Excursion to Kentucky and back or the Excursion sits really high for those little minded people that feel like they have more power. Get a life! Good grief. I've owned the expedition, Yukon 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. (don't need a vehical that drives like a school bus so haven't bought the Excursion) and they're all good trucks. Pros and cons of all of them. Though, if the expedition stuck another 18 inches on the back and only lengthing the wheel base 8 inches, i'd buy two of them. The sad thing is that you guys have such poor self esteems that you have to find it in your trucks. No wonder half of you are divorced. Your trucks are more important than serving your wife.
    You can ignore them!

Greg Says: From what I can tell, there's really no reason for the Excursion

And so, you haven't bought one, but others do find a use and so they, like me, have one in the garage. Forced to leave it for internet access but on weekends it is great for hauling dogs, don't ask how many, I might get in trouble.

And, as vending points out, who designates all the experts? and why do they think that their opinion really matters, and so 'get a life' and drive what you want, maybe a Hummer or a SmartCar, whatever makes you happy and don't let the rest of the world create heart burn. If you were really happy the rest of the world wouldn't get to you. IMO

Have a nice day!
  • jzarlijzarli Member Posts: 7
    This IS an auto forum, and THIS topic IS devoted to a Ford vs Chevy debate. It's kind of a fun thing. If a Chevy with a bigger motor & a lighter truck really is a better formula, that would seem appropriate grounds for debate here.
    Suffice it to say that if my wife did not like our Excursion it would not be in our driveway.
    I do agree, and have mentioned it somewhere here in Edmunds, that a stretched Expedition might be more appropriate for folks who don't need the towing ability of the Excursion.
  • jogibajogiba Member Posts: 27
    That is why I chose the Excursion over Suburban.And I have not bought a car since the 70's....all trucks. And the Excursion is a truck.I also have a ZR2 4x4 S-10 pickup,34' motorhome and ZX-11 Kawasaki .
  • cavemandavecavemandave Member Posts: 2
    I was never a Ford fan in the past. In a previous life, as an engineer for G.M. (networking), we received discounts on G.M. vehicles and had good luck with most. Over the last several years I was entitled to a Ford discount through a relative and decided to purchase a P.S.D. Excursion. Low maintenance and great gas mileage. I cover two states in a sales roll and travel almost daily. Diesel fuel is usually less expensive (about 15 cents/gallon) and I get better mileage from my SD than we do from our Chevy Blazer. (PSD 18+mpg combinded, Chevy about 16.5). This is the first vehicle we've owned (in 24 years of driving) that has not been in for service at this mileage point. The con to owing this vehicle is:
    1, Difficult parking in some situations.
    2, You always end up driving friends and families to events.

Pros:
    1, Great on sales calls for lunch and dinner appointments, can fit all in comfort.
    2, Good diesel milage (7700lbs and 18+mpg)
    3, Easy to merge into traffic (eveyone seems to stay away and less tailgaters).
    4, 2 families of 4 can fit all cargo in the vehicle.
    5, 750+ miles on a tank of gas.
    6, When leaving the sub at 7am, neighbors think the garbage truck is early and scramble to get trash to curb.

So what if someone else has a few more horse power or a couple more pounds or torque. Although I don't frequent drag strips, there probably are few Suburbans or Excursions warming up their tires for the 1/4 mile.
    The Excursion is in a class of it's own. I've owned 4 Econolines in various forms. No comparison. Econolines are good to haul but have many weak points. Poor brakes and ball joints, combined with the old twin I-beam make for worn tires, brake pads that last only 20,000 miles if your lucky. The rear seats on Club wagons are like park benches. They also use the lighter transmission in the E-150's even with the 5.4 L.
    Not great for towing unless you opt for a E-350.

The Suburban is more like an Expedition, smooth ride good handling and towing. For some people the Excursion is excellent, lots of comfortable seats, good cargo space, very stable on highway and great 4WD traction. My wife was driving our Excursion but now I have it. We traded a 99 E-150 for an Expedition. I feel safer in either the Excursion or Expedition over the E-150. You can't compare Vans to the large SUV's. It all depends on what you use it for. Our family outgrew the Van.
    skeewb said:
    "I still see no reason to buy an Excursion other than macho status(ESPECIALLY in the case of FEMALE drivers)."

Did your mind grow after 1950? If anyone needs to load an SUV what diference does it make who is driving? As for you're seeing no reason to buy an Excursion, good for you, but there are a few people who do see the need for it and consider it safer than a Van and are willing and capable of paying for that set of facts. Maybe you ought to consider that while you are entitled to your opinion that at the same time, there are intelligent people with different views and maybe your needs and wants are not the limit of the universe and just maybe some of those people may be just a bit brighter than you may be giving them credit for? It is always possible, you know. And enjoy what you drive, I do, or I wouldn't have bought it.
  • jogibajogiba Member Posts: 27
    skeewb...how can you compare an Excursion to an Econoline van ? I bought a 4x4 PDS Excursion Limited because of dutch doors, 44 gal tank,standard class IV hitch and 20mpg @60mph .I can drive my Excursion on the sand..try that with the Econoline van.You should work for Consumer Reports because they are totally clueless about TRUCKS.
    Should I get a Hypertech computer chip for my Excursion? Is it a good investment?

Also looking at dual exhaust.

Has anybody noticed any better results in terms of performance and fuel efficiency?

Had mine for one week and love it. It's actually a real truck. It doesn't drive nearly as well as my 2000 yukon xl, or even my 97 expedition but I can pull them both through the mud at the same time:)
    Hey! What happened to the Ford Excursion board???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hi vending,

We've been having database problems. Hang in there; things should be back to normal soon (I hope!).

Meanwhile, try this link: Ford ExcursionTopic Consolidation

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    Esc4tru, you are correct, they are built in Janesville,WI or Silaeo, Mexico. You can ask to have it built at either, but the reality is GM builds them where ever they want to regardless of where you want it from. You can refuse the truck until you get one made in the US, if you choose, but it will always be a crap shoot. I have a 3/4 ton Yukon XL built in Mexico. I have not had it to the dealer once for service, other than oil change. Fit and finish is great, no squeaks rattles, leaks, wind noise. Paint job is superb, smooth as glass, no orange peel. I wouldn't worry about it being built in Mexico, I have seen ones built in the US and this one actually surpasses them slightly in some areas, like paint, and squeaks.
    A Sub I got in 90 had the 454 and replaced a 6.2L from about 82, was great until the oil didn't get checked enough on a long trip when it had just under 48k miles. Dealer did warranty engine swap in 94 and I was happy until they said the replacement was from Mexico. Over 100k miles later and very religous about oil checks, still going strong with my brother in law who is towing horses. So Mexico source seems to go way back.
  • sarz272000sarz272000 Member Posts: 6
    I had trans failure on a 97 GMC Savanna. Vans can only tow 6500 #s. I am close to that limit. Need another vehicle. Considered a Burb (too costly) and EX. The used EX prices in Mich are dropping like a rock ($27,800-$28,800) for a 2000 Limited EX V-10 with 12,000 miles. The rise of gas prices is panicking people. I hope to take advantage of scare to scoop up a cheap EX. For large families that cannot fly the USA without taking out a bank loan, camping is the way to go. The Ex will provide me with safety and security on the road.
  • lambdaprolambdapro Member Posts: 51
    We test drove a PSD Excursion. It did not drive as well as the Suburban/Tahoe. I was just about to get a Tahoe and decided that I wanted the third seat, more room, 4.10 rear end and larger engine of the Suburban. For me there were two telling plusses of the Suburban over the Excursion.
    1 - No "base" model of Excursion. All the Excursions were too fancy and expensive. Same for Expedition. I like plain seats with front A/C. I could get a new Tahoe for $24.6K or Suburban for $26.6K in Richardson with A/C, cruise, towing, traction package, third seat, 5.3L. XLT Excursion was about $35K for similar package with PSD, which was not too bad.
    2 - Weight - Admittedly I was comparing 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton. But a 1/2 ton Suburban will still tow 8800 pounds but only weighs 4900 pounds. Excursion weighs 6600 pounds.
  • breezeebreezee Member Posts: 9
    Mako28... Hey, are you a boater/fisherman? Just curious about the handle. OK, I haven't driven an Excursion, but I'll assume that Ford has done whatever they can to tame down the ride. I have driven in many Suburbans and even rented one for a extended vacation in Florida twice. I had no problem driving the 'burban and my then SUV was a lousy Cherokee Limited.

I don't see much here about this one other reason, and that's the tax write-off Uncle Sam gives you with any vehicle that has a Gross Rating of 6000 pounds or more. This has allowed many corporate execs and small business owners to option of buying/leasing a "luxury" SUV under the guise of it being a commercial class vehicle (Gawd thank you for tax loopholes). Vehicles that qualify run the gamut of; Hummers, Ford Expeditions & Excursions, Lincoln Navigators, Mercedes M-Class, BMW X5, Toyota LC/Lexus and the Sequoia, both Rovers, GM's Tahoe, Yukon, and Suburbans, Escalade, and maybe the Durango.

Ford Explorers, Jeep Grand Cherokees, small Lexus, Infiniti/Nissan, and just about anything else out there does not qualify because of the 6000 pound deal. BMW X5 squeaks by with 6003!

So there might be a certain amount of logic that says... for a company car, would you rather drive a Pontiac Grand Am or a Cadillac Escalade? A Taurus or an Eddie Bauer Expedition?

Now there might be something to what Mako said about the "jumbos" ('Burbans/Scursions) as they are kinda'overkill, but I'm a boater/fisherman and I appreciate the fact that I can load 1000 pounds of crap in my vehicle one day, and yet don't feel at all embarassed when I have to pick up a client at the airport the next day. Many folks have likened my Navigator to something akin to a private jet feel inside/riding along. I have an attorney friend in Texas who has 2 Suburbans, 1 Expedition, and 1 Range Rover in his family. Oh yeah... he also has a Mercedes 450SEL that his wife leaves parked in the garage 99% of the time. She drove one of the Suburbans for years until he got her the EB Expedition (she loves it). They have four kids and two dogs. It works for them, but then in Texas... big trucks are a way of life.

BrZ
    Just a brief followup on getting the Suburban. I have seen other folks mention that the Suburban with the coil springs on the rear is now a station wagon. Well, I wanted a station wagon, but they have not made a large station wagon since the 1996 Chevy Caprice. I would still buy a Chevy Caprice now, but the Tahoe/Suburban in a base package is the closest for me to an affordable large station wagon. I currently have four wagons and will now see if the Suburban succeeds as a large family wagon. My main gripe about the Suburban class of vehicle will be that I can't easily get to boats on top of the vehicle like I can with a station wagon.
    That's why you see so many rusted but running 4x4 Toyota Tercel wagons at the put-ins :-)

Steve
    Host
    My wife is looking forward to the Suburban with boat racks on top because it will be tall enough that folks won't hit their heads on the racks. She won't let me leave racks on her current Sable for this very reason. So that is actually a big benefit of the Suburban over another station wagon for us.
    Heck, if the Suburban is tall enough, maybe I can carry four kayaks on the top and sling one under the rack on each side to make six, eh? ;-)
    Well, not knocking your head on the racks (esp. when they're 78 inches wide like mine) is a definite advantage, and I can speak from experience there too ;-)

Steve
    Host
    Same here. The 78" wides are great. I have two wagons set up for four racing kayaks each, TLC saddles. Then I have the other wagon wet up for 7 kayak polo boats using a kayak stacker. The worst I got hurt was getting out and spearing the middle of my upper back on one of the 78" wides. I now keep old tennis balls on the ends of my bars.
    I am definitely looking forward to Excursion/Suburban type height on the bars!
  • jcimagejcimage Member Posts: 1
    There really is no comparison. I've spent many miles in both, actually all of Fords SUV's and 'burbs and Tahoe's. The EX is based on a f250 chasis, so If you like to ride in a lumber truck, here you go. Keep in mind if that lumber truck is loaded, it will ride much beter. The EX's steering is wild. You're always turning the wheel even when you're going straight. It's similar to a small ferry w/ fixed prop. In 1995 the suburban had it's own chasis made. It rides very nice. However, I wouldn't buy pre 2000. Brakes, transmition, brakes. 2000 and up have corrected most of it's shortcomings. The ex has a ways to go. And whats up with all of Fords seats, no comparison to the GM's buckets. Surprisingly enough the ford 2 door explorer sport had the best ride of all the fors suv's. This I'd consider. But you can't go wrong with the 'burb.
    Stay far from Jeep GC. expecially the pre 99. Horrible ride, total market saturation/ depreciation. Many problems. Of course this is all imho.
  • palfito01palfito01 Member Posts: 10
    I have been driving trucks/SUV's most of the last 20 years and I think the Excursion is one of the best I have ever driven.

If you are driving a bunch of kids around most of the day a Suburban is fine, but if you want a truck that can take alot of abuse the Ford Excursion is the only way to go. Everyone has to remember that the Ford Excursion was designed to tow heavy trailers, not to ride like a Cadillac and transport a bunch of kids.

I guess, I felt like doing a little bit of venting!!!
    Glad you like your Sub, I did too for 30 years and 3 models. But with the same job to do, the new Sub didn't have the interior room as our prior 1990 model, hence the Excursion fit the bill. Enjoy what you drive, we do.

Trying to say something nice about engines and you make it difficult. Our 3 sub's all got over 150k miles but the last a 454 ran hot as a side walk in Dallas in August, melted a plastic binder on the floor from the heater outlet one summer. Our V-10 on the other hand runs cool and at speed in 100+ temps with air running actually runs cooler than when around town, very comfortable.
    palfitoO1: The Excursion definitely has superior interior space, however having owned 2, 3/4 ton Suburbans and now owning a Denali XL, I can assure you their is no comparison from a comfort basis between rear leaf springs and a "normal" air shock suspension. The comfort will become a substantial issue once you get around 35,000 miles on those leaf springs and there's no going back. Great if you need the extra towing but hell around town.

As for your reference to the Excursions tow capabilities, the Suburban 2500 with the 8.1L engine tows 2000 more lbs than the Excursion with the v-10. The GM 8.1L also has more hp and torque.
  • yournoiseyournoise Member Posts: 1
    I have an '01 Yukon XL, my next door neighbor has an '01 Excursion. Our garage doors (and garages for that matter) are the exact same size...Guess who's SUV sits out in the rain?
  • afconwayafconway Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2000 Excursion 4x4 V10 that fits in my standard size garage. I only have to fold in the towing mirrors before I drive it in.

Got this unit as a leftover in January of this year. Great vehicle! Just did a trip a couple of weeks ago to/from Myrtle Beach SC towing my 25 foot travel trailer. It was pleasure to drive. got around 10mpg while towing. Around town and going back and forth to work I get between 14 and 15 MPG.

Saw a report from Ford that the towing limits can be increased to match the Chevy/GMC Suburbans. They have an upgraded hitch that adds 2000lbs to the rating. No other modifications are required. Dealers should be able to order the hitch and replace the existing one on 2000 and 2001 models if you need the extra capacity. Don't know what the cost is. Think the new hitch will be standard on the 2002 model.
    Didn't bother to put my 90 2500 Sub with 454 into the garage since we got here when it was 5 years old and it had been sitting out previously. With old wood lift doors any Sub or Ex sized vehicle seems to be an issue. Since we got roll up doors as replacement and moved the extra stuff we pull in the Excursion as long as previously mentioned, we pull in the mirrors, since it is a 3 singles garage. Actually have 3 vehicles in the garage for the first time I can remember.

Enjoy what you drive, you bought it, we do!
    A previous post stated 10 mpg pulling a 25 ft travel trailer and 14-15 around town. I'm not sure about towing but the best I've seen is 11 around town(all stop and go, no freeway) and 14 - 14.5 on interstate loaded up, at 75 mph. You need the 7.3 L PSD to get 14-15 around town.
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    After months of problems with a Toyota Sequoia, Toyota has agreed to let me out of my lease next week pending some higher approval. Engine clicking and engine lights coming on were the main problems, and the dealership could not fix it.

I am considering both the Tahoe and the Expedition. I tested both on the weekend and liked them about the same (in different ways). I am also being offered another Sequoia, but I am a little scared given my experience with Toyota. Thoughts?
  • pcjrpcjr Member Posts: 3
    I've monitored this as well as other topics relating to the Excursion and Suburban for some months now. I'd like to throw my opinion in the mix to those considering either of the two. Having purchased one of each I can speak from a position of experience. My original purchase was a 2000 Excursion LTD 2WD for my wife to use haul the kids back and forth to school. The sheer size and weight of the vehicle gave me a sense of security in knowing that short of tangling with a tractor trailer they should be safe. Fuel economy was not a consideration as gas was still cheap ($1.50 gal). The nightmare began immediately in that within the first few weeks the issues started to surface. Doors that creaked anytime we entered the driveway, a horrendous clunking noise originating under the drivers side floorboard and a significant shake in the front end on any but the smoothest of roads. In an effort to see if this was just a fluke of Fords commitment to quality I checked the Excursion boards daily. I found it both a source of comfort and aggrivation to learn that I was not alone. At one point I actually started to consider all the options of aftermarket modifications to improve the vehicle. Retrofit of Edelbrock or Bilstien shocks, Michelin tires and a new exhaust system to eliminate the tinny resonance. I came about my senses after my forth trip to the dealer to again attempt to have the problems corrected. I dont know if the service manager was sympathetic and strung things out, but after 40+ days of the vehicle sitting at the dealer having the front end disassembled, the body lifted off to replace the body mounts and some door kit installed to correct the creaking doors, California law entitled me to my money back via repurchase by Ford. Mid point thru this extended service visit I purchased a 2001 Surburban 1500 LT 2WD. If you consider ride quality, fit and finish and comfort important in your purchase decision it is my experience that the Suburban is just alot better vehicle. While it took just short of three months to complete the repurchase, today I turned the Excursion back to Ford and walked away with all monies I paid with an exception of a mileage charge for the first 850 trouble free miles prior to its first trip for service. Hats off to Ford for making right on a poorly constructed vehicle. I offer this only as my experience and recognize that others are happy with their Ford purchase. Fortunately I was in a position to purchase a replacement when Ford was offering a Focus as rental wheels while the Excursion was under repair. If you intend to tow to maximum capacity then perhaps the Excursions for you, if your using it for moderate towing and hauling more precious cargo, I'd opt for the Suburban.
    Mind sharing what the mileage charge was in your particular circumstances?

Steve
    Host

• palfito01palfito01 Member Posts: 10
    pcjr Good For You!

I am getting real close on making the same decision on trying to turn in my Excursion. I really love the size and look of the Ford but I do not think I can take the creaks, clunks and shaking over any bumps of this vehicle any longer. Can you tell me who you talked to at Ford and what the process was(I live in Wisconsin).

I would appreciate any help in this matter.

Thanks!
    I dot recall the exact amount of the mileage charge but around $0.30 a mile comes to mind. I was informed the law allows the manufacturer to be compensated for the use of the vehicle prior to it becoming problematic. In response to the request on how the system works I can relate my experience here in California but your laws may differ. The law here is 4 attempts by the dealer to correct a significant problem. I believe that significant was defined as a problem that effects the safety, operation or value of the vehicle. In addition to that if the vehicle is out of service (at the dealer for repair)for a cumulative total of 30 days during the first 18 months or 18K miles it becomes a "lemon" and your rights kick in regardless of reason or number of repair attempts. In my case I retained an attorney who specializes in the so called "Lemon Law". A search on-line will probably find you one in your area. While I am sure that one could achieve the same results without getting a lawyer. In my case I just dint have the time and dint want to invest in learning the law so that I could argue my rights to Ford. After the attorney reviewed my paper work (service orders and my time line summarizing our problems) he submitted what was called a demand letter. This basically was a letter that demanded that Ford abide by the provisions of the lemon law and repurchase my vehicle. It took about 3 weeks for Ford to respond to the letter which they agreed in principle to make things right. I believe here they had 4 weeks to respond or you win by default. It then took Ford another 3 weeks or so to send their formal offer of repurchase which indicated the amounts they were reimbursing. These included my down payment, registration, sales tax and all of my monthly payments. Then there was a reduction in the offer price to reflect the mileage up until the time I had the Excursion in for the first repair. In addition Ford was to payoff the remaining balance of the note. Once that offer was received I accepted and the paper work was sent back to process which again took about 3 weeks due to an error which was picked up by the vehicle repurchase departments auditor at Ford. After the error was corrected the paper work was sent to the dealer I purchased the vehicle from. I scheduled an appointment to take in the Excursion, they inspected it for damage and wear, I signed the documents and received my check. All total took about 3 months which was long due to the error in the offer paper work. I hope this helps you to better understand the process I went through. I am normally one who addresses and resolves problems on my own. An inherited trait I think Ive perfected through years of real world business experience! Every product has the potential for problems. Its how you address and correct the problem that is most important. I was not at all pleased by Fords product, I was however pleased with the resolution. My advice... If you have a problem get it in right away... document by means of a log your conversations and experiences because unless you have nothing else in your life to distract you, you are going to forget something... Finally I felt that when all else failed legal representation got it handled quickly and was well worth the cost to me. Good luck on getting your situation resolved Palfito 01
    I read your horror story on the Sequoia forum. After looking at the Expedition and Yukon, you owe it to yourself to drive a GMC Denali. Bigger motor than the Expedition or Yukon, AWD not available in the others and lots of luxury features really worth checking out. Good Luck.
  • biggermeany2biggermeany2 Member Posts: 2
    ok! i got in trouble for starting a new topic so i"ll stay here,still wanting to here from suburban owners on towing that 6000lb.TT
  • thebeast2001thebeast2001 Member Posts: 1
    2001 FORD EXCURSION LIMITED 4X4 V10
    Come on now anti-EXCURSION folks! I am getting tired of your bitching and griping about the Ford Excursion. I bought mine two months ago and put it 4 thousand miles and I did not have any problems such as the AIR CONDITIONING, CLUNKING, ROAMING issues. I am just plain tired of some people complaining about this 8th wonder of the world SUV. By the way, I call mine, THE BEAST hehehe. First of all, the only issue that I found out is the wallowy ride and the gas mileage. HECK! if you can afford a 44 grand SUV, why will you complain anyways??? If you like a car ride, why not buy a BMW 740il??? But for mine, I changed my shocks and suspension when I got it so, the wallowy ride was never been an issue to me. For the gas mileage between the SUBURBAN and EXCURSION is not that far. Damn, it's only a mile/gallon difference. It is really understandable that these big autos will consume gas tremendously, so why complain about it? Don’t be so dumb and stupid about it. So PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!, do not complain about those impertinent things such as gas mileage, etc. I had enough of those things already and it is time for me to speak. I really love my SUV, I had a Suburban k2500 before and I believe that the Excursion looks better and far outdoes the SUBURBANers. IN MY OWN OPINION, those people who keeps bitching and griping about the EX haven't experienced to own this one or just plainly haven't driven one! So stop being JEALOUS!
    Perhaps you should do a bit more research before you ask those of us that had been plagued by Fords rolling monument to piss poor automotive design to quit bitchin. Seems you focused in on gas mileage being the cause of our woes. Gas mileage was never a concern of mine and if you read further back a couple of posts you'll see that statement. Quite frankly had mileage or the cost of fuel ever been a concern to me I would have purchased a 740iL as you had indicated instead of the gass guzzling 750iL which I previously owned. At least we share some common opinion as to what is considered a decent quality automobile. By that statement I make no reference that the excursion should be compared to a passenger car. What I do have a significant issue with is a vehicle that spent a considerable amount of time at a dealership while a service manager, service writer and mechanic attempted to correct real problems, not imagined problems resulting from either poor design, poor build quality or a combination of both. If you are content with attempting to improve your vehicle by removing and replacing inferior components with ones that make it satisfactory in your eyes so be it. I was just not prepared to redesign and rebuild a new vehicle. Does it not concern you why Ford with its tremendous engineering talents chose not to install the shocks and suspension components you did? I can assure you that it wasnt because of any reason other than economics and the result of rushing into the profitable "me-too" SUV market. By the way I think Ford has heard of Michelin before as well. Im happy that your content with your 8th wonder of the world and truly hope that it remains trouble free for you. Call me overly critical, a whiner and a bitcher. $44K is not alot of money to spend today on a vehicle but nonetheless you should still get your moneys worth regardless of the cost. Proof in point is that even in light of the significant savings the new owner of our excursion realised by means of its plummeting resale value, I doubt if he will feel he got his or hers moneys worth... As you did indicate that your tired of the bitching and negative comments, perhaps you miss the point. Some evening when your suffering from insomnia, go back and read some of the early posts and track the transition of joys to woes. It may also surprise you just how many people have experienced the same problems.
  • stirlnjostirlnjo Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Excursion Limited which I like for the durability, interior "toughness" and the room it provides my wife and her 7 day care kids (although she cusses at the rocking everytime she goes in and out of the driveway). I have a 1999 GMC Sierra which I much prefer for the comfort and ride. In fact, I'm upgrading to the Yukon XL Denali shortly for the comfort, bells and whistles, ride and quietness. As I have experienced it, I'll have the best of both worlds -- toughness for the kids and camping trips and a nice personal ride with plenty of room for bi-weekly trips to the city with friends (and superior factory design for a major stereo upgrade!
    After 3 2500 Sub's over almost 30 years, replaced the last one with the Ex because of the interior space. They are both good and getting better by the year, but all vehicles have problems at some time. I do think GM has had more time to work out the kinks in the Sub's/XL but IMO they screwed up taking up too much interior space with panels. Hence the Ex fit our requirements. Like both on the open road going long distance, and the Ex is only 8 months old so time will tell. It did get a slow start going only 3k in 6 months but has 3k in last 6 weeks so it will get to 15k + miles by it's birthday. 2wd V-10 Limited. Get the best deal and what you really need.
    "The PowerBox is a hulking eight-passenger sport-ute with massive 20-inch wheels under flared fenders and a grille the size of a whale's mouth."

Steve
    Host

If the Excursion is supposedly the biggest and strongest SUV, why should it have such a lightweight payload compared to the Suburban (in addition to a lower towing capacity)?

Payloads
    v-8 Excursion (1950lbs)
    v-10 Ex (1710 lbs)
    TDiesel Ex (1800lbs)

3/4 Sub (3153lbs)
    1/2 Sub (2077lbs)

You would think that for the sacrifice in ride the Excursion has, you would at least be able to load more "stuff" than the better handling and riding Sub. What good is have more space if you have to leave it empty to avoid exceeding your GVCW?
This discussion has been closed.