Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (1994-1997) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I change mine every 30K because it is so easy to do. Just drain and fill.
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Posts: 698
    TRNS. FLUID SHOULD BE FLUSHED, NOT JUST DRAINED.
  • could someone help me with some advice...I have a 97 accord and when i turn my car, the wheels make a clicking sound.im thinking it could be the bearings or the cv joint.
    could someone tell me what it could be,how to fix it and how much it will cost. thanx
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    i tend to agree. being a MT owner until a few years ago, i never encountered a problem with a transmission, only clutch adjustments every so often...

there are two camps i guess to servicing ATs, one that says it should be flushed, and another just drained.

i understand the concern of some who say flushing may result in debris being kicked up and placed somewhere where it may do more harm than if it just sat where it is.

from my perspective, if debris is clogging a minute passage where fluid flow is used in the process of shifting gears, i'd want it moved / dislodged. i could reason that a drain only service might leave that passage clogged, and the drivability of the vehicle would still remain sub-par.

i'm also an advocate of having the fluid changed much more frequently than every 90K. First off, my '02 schedule says so, and so have a few mechanics and fellow engineers who drive ATs I've consulted. i believe, but am not sure of this, that with the increased complexity of ATs and more gearing, regular maintenance is trending to more often servicing to keep the system functioning normally. if the vehicle is used in alot of stop and go, i can imagine the fluid's lubricity properties getting degraded.

it's a tad expensive, but worth regular servicing in my opinion.

the '02 i purchased used at just below 30K, since i didnt know specifically how it was driven, decided to have the AT serviced with a flush at a dealership at the recommendation of an independant mechanic who inspected the car before my purchase. this person had once worked at a honda dealership. i *DID* notice a much smoother shifting action after the flush; it wasn't my imagination.
  • Sounds to me like your CV joint/s are bad.

As far as cost, that will probably vary quite a bit depending on where you go. I'm sure Honda using genuine Honda axle assemblies will be quite $$. I have replaced my own axles so I don't know what they would charge. Rebuilt axles run as little as $75-$100 each. Aftermarket (new) axles are a little bit more. Judging from how long it took me to change the axles, labor should be a couple of hours or less.

Mrbill
    I fully agree. I don't think you should wait till 90k (don't my good old 1995 Accord V6 anymore, nor the manual, of course, but I can't believe the manual would recommend doing it at 90k).

Flushing is a thorough procedure that really CLEANS the system. And it's not that expensive (I think I paid just over $100). And I also noticed a significant improvement in shifting.
    i'm with you. also, i think it important to use the honda formulation of AT fluid, and not some other brand / composition.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I don't think it calls for it at every 90k, I believe it is 30k, maybe 60k. I'll check when I get to my 96 LX I-4 this afternoon. Shoot, even the timing belt is supposed to be changed at 60k, isn't it?

And yes, I reccomend a full flush, not just a drain and fill.
  • cub_2cub_2 Posts: 4
    Ok, I'll flush my Transmission from now on, but the orginal question still has not been completely answered...

Would replacing the VSS (Variable Speed Sensor) on the Transmission help the transmission from jerking into gear, or is there another sensor in the engine compartment that should be chnanged?
    I'm not that mechanically inclined, so I don't know the answer. I'd flush it and try it out if that hasn't been done in the last 60k, it just might be the answer.
    right, that was the point. a flush may very well improve the operability.

if the system could detect an obvious problem, it would be blinking the D or S indicator lamp.
    What is the "S" indicator lamp? I have a 1996 Accord LX Auto, and I know the "D4" light should blink if a transmission problem exists, and have heard about this "S" lamp, but I can't find it on my car. It's likely a stupid question, but is the "S" lamp on Canadian models or something? I'd appreciate someone explaining this to my tired brain!
    I think some model years have this "S" indicator, but I'm not positive when they no longer have it. a post at one site indicated the "sport" or "S" light went away in 1993.
  • Not sure about the 96, but on my '90 the "S" lamp is the green sportshift indicator light. It will flash if there is a problem with the transmission also.

-Keith
    Sportshift?

I don't remember EVER seeing this on mom's old 93 EX. I'd be curious to see it. Surely it isn't a manu-matic tranny? Is it a more sporty shift mode (higher rpms before shifting?)?

Sorry for my obvious stupidity on the relatively unimportant issue, but I would be interested in knowing that!

Thanks a bunch, guys!

thegrad
  • Dear lists,

I have 97 Honda Accord. I disassembled the front left door panel to get my window off. Because the window is off the both tabs, it doesn't go up and down anymore. I checked on dealer and local auto shop, they all said that it had to be replaced by a new set, which it cost over $200.

Don't know anyone here has similar experience. Can I glue tab and window together? If so, what type of glue should I use for it?

Any suggestion will be appreciated!!!

Shadingding
  • You might check with a good atuo glass shop and see if they have any luck with doing something like that when they do glass replacements.
  • This is a great idea. Thanks.

Shadingding
  • "Free Service for 95-97 Honda Vehicles
    Exp: 00/00/00 Comments(78) | Tell a Friend | AIM | Top

Honda is giving free service for the vehicles listed below. Give your dealer or the # on the letter a call with your VIN number to see if it is qualified. Thanks LordRamZ.

1995 models: Honda Accord V6, Acura NSX, Acura 2.5TL
    1996 models: All models
    1997 models: All models (except for the Honda Passport, Acura Integra Type-R, Acura SLX)
    You receive:

At 50k-75k miles, you get a free emissions inspection and any repairs or replacements.
    At 75k - 150k miles you get another free emissions inspection and you also get new spark plugs, ignition wires, distributor cap, rotor and oil change for free.
    Emissions warranty has been extended to 14 years
    You can get reimbursed if you paid for any of the above emmissions parts or repairs.

Posted: 02/21/06 4:26PM PT "

I am not sure if this is accurate or not but saw this on internet website on a www.slickdeals.net posting "http://www.slickdeals.net/#p7108". This page normally goes to archive the next day I believe.... The first word "Honda" is a hyperlink on the slickdeals.net posting...
    Yes, there is much truth in it.

Till few weeks ago I owned a '95 Accord V6. Thanks to this free extended warranty, Honda took care of my car -- but only when the Check Engine light came on, or something was clearly wrong with the car, as long as it was connected to emission (there is a LONG list of parts that are connected, actually):

At around 60k my car had the speedometer needle jump like nuts back and forth at high speed and the car was bucking, and Honda paid for a new Distributor and Speed Sensor.

At about 70k the Check Engine light came on, and the car was driving owefully. Honda replaced one fuel injector, and a month later it did it again, and they replaced ALL 6 of them.

I went back at 75k and got a free tune up.

Call your Honda service, ask them to print out for you the full list connected to that recall. I used to keep that list with the recall number, but left it all in my old car for the next owner to take advantage of it...