Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (1994-1997) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    right, that was the point. a flush may very well improve the operability.

if the system could detect an obvious problem, it would be blinking the D or S indicator lamp.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    What is the "S" indicator lamp? I have a 1996 Accord LX Auto, and I know the "D4" light should blink if a transmission problem exists, and have heard about this "S" lamp, but I can't find it on my car. It's likely a stupid question, but is the "S" lamp on Canadian models or something? I'd appreciate someone explaining this to my tired brain!
    I think some model years have this "S" indicator, but I'm not positive when they no longer have it. a post at one site indicated the "sport" or "S" light went away in 1993.
  • Not sure about the 96, but on my '90 the "S" lamp is the green sportshift indicator light. It will flash if there is a problem with the transmission also.

-Keith
    Sportshift?

I don't remember EVER seeing this on mom's old 93 EX. I'd be curious to see it. Surely it isn't a manu-matic tranny? Is it a more sporty shift mode (higher rpms before shifting?)?

Sorry for my obvious stupidity on the relatively unimportant issue, but I would be interested in knowing that!

Thanks a bunch, guys!

thegrad
  • Dear lists,

I have 97 Honda Accord. I disassembled the front left door panel to get my window off. Because the window is off the both tabs, it doesn't go up and down anymore. I checked on dealer and local auto shop, they all said that it had to be replaced by a new set, which it cost over $200.

Don't know anyone here has similar experience. Can I glue tab and window together? If so, what type of glue should I use for it?

Any suggestion will be appreciated!!!

Shadingding
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,711
    You might check with a good atuo glass shop and see if they have any luck with doing something like that when they do glass replacements.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• This is a great idea. Thanks.

Shadingding
  • "Free Service for 95-97 Honda Vehicles
    Exp: 00/00/00 Comments(78) | Tell a Friend | AIM | Top

Honda is giving free service for the vehicles listed below. Give your dealer or the # on the letter a call with your VIN number to see if it is qualified. Thanks LordRamZ.

1995 models: Honda Accord V6, Acura NSX, Acura 2.5TL
    1996 models: All models
    1997 models: All models (except for the Honda Passport, Acura Integra Type-R, Acura SLX)
    You receive:

At 50k-75k miles, you get a free emissions inspection and any repairs or replacements.
    At 75k - 150k miles you get another free emissions inspection and you also get new spark plugs, ignition wires, distributor cap, rotor and oil change for free.
    Emissions warranty has been extended to 14 years
    You can get reimbursed if you paid for any of the above emmissions parts or repairs.

Posted: 02/21/06 4:26PM PT "

I am not sure if this is accurate or not but saw this on internet website on a www.slickdeals.net posting "http://www.slickdeals.net/#p7108". This page normally goes to archive the next day I believe.... The first word "Honda" is a hyperlink on the slickdeals.net posting...
  • mamamia2mamamia2 ChicagoPosts: 701
    Yes, there is much truth in it.

Till few weeks ago I owned a '95 Accord V6. Thanks to this free extended warranty, Honda took care of my car -- but only when the Check Engine light came on, or something was clearly wrong with the car, as long as it was connected to emission (there is a LONG list of parts that are connected, actually):

At around 60k my car had the speedometer needle jump like nuts back and forth at high speed and the car was bucking, and Honda paid for a new Distributor and Speed Sensor.

At about 70k the Check Engine light came on, and the car was driving owefully. Honda replaced one fuel injector, and a month later it did it again, and they replaced ALL 6 of them.

I went back at 75k and got a free tune up.

Call your Honda service, ask them to print out for you the full list connected to that recall. I used to keep that list with the recall number, but left it all in my old car for the next owner to take advantage of it...
    At around 60k my car had the speedometer needle jump like nuts back and forth at high speed and the car was bucking, and Honda paid for a new Distributor and Speed Sensor.

Wish I had known that for my grandmother's sake. Her speedometer went nuts at 111k miles (went from 0-120-0-actual speed-0-120etc...) She paid to have it fixed!

On the funny side though, the car (now mine) only reads like it has 46,000 miles on it, although it has in the mid 157ks! People look funny when they see it in a ten year old car!
  • No prob, no such thing as a stupid question (well, yeah there are but this ain't one of them).

Anyway, the sportshift "feature" is basically useless. It causes the car to shift slightly late which I guess makes it feel uhh.....sporty? You can do the same thing by flooring the car though so I don't consider it much of a feature especially because the 90-93 era cars already have a pretty spirited shift.

There is a button on the side of my shifter (it's an auto) to activate sportshift. There is also a green indicator lamp on the dash that lights when sportshift is activated and will flash when there is a tranny problem.

As for it being a manumatic - no. But you can just row through the gears and pretend it's a stick but the car will override you if you dont shift I believe. Thus Honda claims no damage will occur to the car shifting in this way. Dunno, doesnt seem like a great idea. Besides, if I wanted a stick I wouldn't have bought an auto right?

Anyway, safe driving and enjoy your car.
  • While looking at a 95 EX/LX in a dealer's lot, how can one verify that there actually is an air bag behind the cover? IOW, can the cover be easily removed and replaced in the dealer's lot by me? If so, how?
    Graduate,

If you still have the receipt of the repair done to your (granny's) car (was the Speed Sensor replaced, together with the Distributor?) you may be able to call Honda, talk to them, ask to be reimbursed!

I did my repair of that problem at my Shell station, same like you, unaware of that recall. About a month later, when was told about it, I called Honda, faxed them the receipt, and they paid me for the full cost, over $500!
    I'm not aware of a distrubutor problem, but I am due for service in about 800 miles (soon!), and I'll be sure to ask about these few things.

Thanks

thegrad
  • angelbyrdangelbyrd Posts: 26
    A week ago my car started to act up and not start on the first attempt, I had the starter changed and did a regular oil change on the car since it was due anyway. I continued to have the problem I then had the spark plugs changed and timing/idle adjusted, checked all the fuses still the same problem. Has this ever happened to anyone else or does anyone know what to do? I'm at my wits end and need to get this problem fixed....PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
    Do these deals apply to used bought cars as well or do you have to be the original owner?
    If by "deals" you're referring to Honda's special "emission extended warranty" for those specific '95-'97 models than NO, you don't have to be the original owner, this special warranty (150,000 miles, or 14 years) belongs to the car, not to the owner...

I bought that '95 Accord V6 used, and used that warranty. As a matter of fact, I got a letter last week from Honda, reminding me of that warranty, but then as of Feb, 1st I don't own that car anymore...
  • jvee26jvee26 Posts: 1
    it sounds like a problem i just had tonight for the first time....any suggestions here?...i was driving and my ABS light kept clicking on and off....at the same time in harmony with the clicking...that sounded like it was coming from my glovebox, my CD player was clicking on and off as well....after about 30 seconds of this i heard the whining noise from under the hood near the widshield at drivers position and everything was back to normal....what do i do?
    Does your ABS unit ("module") have its own fluid reservoir? I know my old '95 (as well as the '96 model) Accord had one, and it was failing every few years....Check your reservoir. If it's empty (or very low), TRY FILLING IT UP (SLOWLY) WITH BRAKE FLUID. After you fill it up, leave the plastic + rubber caps off and run the engine for 10-15 minutes to let the air out of the system. You may see the fluid level go down a bit, in that case add more fluid).

The clicking under the glove compt. is just where the ABS is monitored. I don't know if your CD player clicking has anything to do with the ABS problem.

Honda charged me for replacing the ABS unit $1,200 back in 2001. Lately, when the unit was leaking again they wanted $1,500... I found a used-parts dealer who could get it for $200 (all rebuilt, there are no new units available anymore).... But then I decided to trade in my good old Accord for a new car.

Also, if otherwise you have a good car, and don't want to spend too much money repairing it, consider the option of driving your car WITHOUT the ABS.
    I have no idea what's wrong with my car, I have a 96 Honda Accord LX, I've had the battery tested, the starter changed twice, I got a tune-up, had the timing/idle adjusted and I stil seem to be having this intermittant problem of my car not starting when I turn the key. I have no idea what to do, someone suggested that I have my ignition switch changed but I don't want to spend money for something I don't need especially since I just bought a new starter for nothing.Can anyone help??? :cry: :confuse:
  • barbabarba Posts: 8
    well angelbyrd I understand your frustration but the ignition switch should solve that problem , Im no mechanic but I have a few 94 accord Lx's
  • barbabarba Posts: 8
    I have a few Honda accords all 94 Lx's but have never encountered this particular problem before , my oldest boo blue 94 accord starts with one turn of the key,runs like a dream manual trans but if I stop by the shop , gas station or any where for that matter and shut the car off she will not stsrt for at least half an hour this is driving me crasy most service stations will not serve you unless you turn the vehicle off I need help ,Ive had a tune up the works nothing seems to work some one please give me the answer
    :cry:
  • 97 Accord Steering Wheel Locked Up!!My steering wheel on my 97 Accord has locked up on me.
    Normally you can shake the steering, with the key in the ignition of course, and it will free up but this has not worked. I have taken off the covers to expose the steering shaft, wiring etc. and snooped around a little with no luck. Any suggestions?
    check your owner's manual. i believe you don't shake the steering wheel, rather you turn it hard into one extent left or right as you push in and turn your ignition key.
  • Is this an automatic? See if your car would start in newtral--maybe your shifter says P but your car might think otherwise.
    Yes an automatic, of course today she's acting like there's nothing wrong but who know's tomorrow. I still think it has something to do with the ignition, I spoke to a mechanic about my problem and he told me that Honda's ignition's don't usually go bad but everything I've read has pointed me towards ignition switch. Does anyone know what the average price of having the ignition switch replaced is? Is it something I could maybe do myself? Just in case....I have another question sorry..I have seen many different addictives that can be added to the car's fuel and oil but do these actually help or are they detrimental in the long run?
  • cvdscvds Posts: 1
    You got it right - just keep refilling that ABS resevoir and you should be fine to keep on driving. An import repair shop gave me a big quote to replace the ABS monitor several yrs. ago when I inquired, but I opted to pay them just to refill the low resovoir & wait to see how it goes. Well, after years I've had no problems other than it does seem to have a very slow depletion, but now I just stop in at AutoZone & refill the ABS fluid to the fill line & the ABS light goes out & we keep cruising along fine as ever for months-to-years before that little ABS comes on again. She's just thirsty, so I see no need to make it into a bigger problem than it needs to be.
  • ncems117ncems117 Posts: 3
    I have a 1997 honda accord, i have a yellow light and a green light that shows up on the dash. What does these lights mean? You can turn them off, but I am sure it has something to do with a maintenance schedule. I have 152,000 miles on the car now. I was reading also that honda has a free maintenance they do, but is it too late due to the mileage? Thanks :confuse:
  • ncems117ncems117 Posts: 3
    What do these lights mean? And also, can i still get in on the deal from Honda for free maintenance and repairs if my car has 152,000 miles? Thanks :confuse: