Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Will Honda accept the complaint with tint or will they blame the tinter?

I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Just ask.

As for the other rattles, just tell them the problem and make them fix them, even if you have to take it back again. There are service bulletins out for some common rattles. I've shared my problems and solutions in previous posts.

As for the Neon... geesh, feel fortunate that you got ANY car. Some of us aren't offered the option. That's a dealer choice, not Honda's.
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    Interesting how -- all those years -- Honda couldn't fix this one IDIOTIC problem with their windows creaking... We had it in our '95 Accord. A friend of mine had it in her '01 Accord.

Though -- knock on wood -- nothing (yet?) in our '05 Accord...
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Interesting... I've never had a problem in my 95. :)
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    I've owned (or leased) a 1990, 1995 and now a 2004 Accord. I have NEVER had any issues with the windows or seals.
  • chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    Tried to use Edmund to send you the mail, but
    their email system is down. Your email is set
    private.

The problem covers under basic warranty (3yrs/36k).
    If you have the time, take it to the dealer.
    They should have something they can stuff into
    the window run channel by now.
  • chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    That's why my next car wasn't another Honda.

My 03Accord didn't make the window noise after over 2 yrs when I bought it brand new.
    ..And, btw, my daughter has it in her '06 Civic too... She doesn't mind it, so (since the car is leased) I don't mind it either...
  • sambo49sambo49 Member Posts: 47
    2003 EX-4cyl auto transmission - had problems with front brakes making grinding noise for 3 years. Dealer service department said they could find nothing wrong.

Recently, the car shakes and vibrates when braking at highway speeds. Dealer service advisor says the brake rotors are warped but pads still have 8k miles of life left. HE suggested to continue driving until pads need replacement or turn rotors and replace pads together now, total about $280.

Will there be any further damage to the car if I
    continue driving the car?

Given that the car has 36k miles, are warped rotors a normal occurrence? I live in the DC area where the weather is relatively mild.

Is it advisable to replace the rotors rather than turning them?

Thanks!
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    If the rotors will not be covered under warranty, I think I would look into aftermarket rotors, and try to find something stronger (Brembo and others).
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I have a 2006 accord, and its brake calipers that hold the main pads for braking, are rusting through. My hub that is on my underside of my rim is rusting on one wheel. I took it to my dealer and showed my service manager and at first told me this is normal, but he then showed me other cars that has similar mileage (16,700) and he realized that it seemed weird that there cars did not show that it was rusting through the surface. He actually took sandpaper and realized, yes it is rusting below surface. Call me crazy and obsessive, but hey it looks bad, and its a new car basically. 3 of my brake calipers are doing that. Rust, like brownish red rust. He finally told me to contact Honda corporation to file a case. I have the alloy wheels and you can see the calipers and the rust. What would you do , if you were me? The case manager for honda called me back to talk, but i missed the call. I want it fixed. There getting worse. My calipers look as though there was no prep for protection. If you can give any advice, that would be great.

Brian
  • jehujehu Member Posts: 5
    I had a '97 Accord EX 4 that had warped rotors around 36K miles. I replaced them, but those rotors also became warped. My mechanic suggested replacing them with cross-drilled rotors to help prevent overheating (which is what caused them to become warped), but I decided against that. I kept driving with them with no problems (other than the shaking when braking at highway speeds, of course) until I got rid of my car this year with 213K miles.

If you can get used to the shaking and you don't drive like a maniac, it probably won't hurt to keep them.
    No, DO NOT DRIVE WITH WARPED ROTORS. Get your brakes serviced properly for safety and peace of mind.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Please elaborate?
  • freeflightfreeflight Member Posts: 12
    Hi, my 04 Accord LX has 56,000 miles (mainly freeway miles). It starts making grinding noise at about 10 miles/hr when I apply the brake. I don't hear the noise at other speed.

The noise is near the front left tire the car. When it makes the noise, it isn't continuous, but it is on and off as the tire spins.

Does this mean I need to change brake pads? My dealer quoted my $45 for brake check, and $190 for brake pad replacement.

Thanks,

Kevin
    During your next oil change, especially if it's time for your wheels' rotation, you can ask them to check the brakes. There is no need for any extra charge.
  • gowrongowron Member Posts: 3
    Hello all. I have a 2007 Accord SE I-4 with 900 miles and about 5 seconds after starting the car it makes a soft groaning noise lasting about a second such as when backing out of a parking space. It seems as if the power steering is priming itself (?) or the ABS is self testing (?) because I can feel it through the steering wheel and the brake pedal. After the initial groan at startup it drives perfectly without any unusual noises. Is this normal or should I get it checked out? Anyone else experiencing this? Other than this minor issue its been a great car and love driving it.
  • adolphusadolphus Member Posts: 2
    '07 accord 1K pulling slightly to right since new. Dealer claimed they checked the alignment which was O.K. and rotated tires. Problem still there. Anyone else have this issue?
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    The ABS self test.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Our old '03 always pulled to the right. After 3 years, 59k miles, and numerous alignments at the Honda dealer...the car still pulled right. They even rotated the steering wheel for an illusion.

Our old '00 Odyssey with 140k miles & our new '06 Odyssey are straight as an arrow.

So it wasn't my ming playing tricks.
    thegraduate,

Warped rotors can be dangerous in a panic stop from high speeds, especially if the warping is severe. Your brakes are only being applied for part of each wheel rotation, only at the high spot of contact, resulting in longer stopping distances. It can cause some damage or premature wear to the brake system, but most importantly it can cause a safety issue due to loss of control and full stopping power at freeway speeds, and can cause the anti-lock braking system to not work correctly. Severe vibration can damage or cause premature wear to the brake system. The damage can be progressive as the warped rotor wears unevenly as it rubs against the brake pads.
  • adolphusadolphus Member Posts: 2
    Wow! This is my fourth new car (all hondas) but this is a first for me. I can't imagine dealing with this. What did it do to your tires in terms of wear? Surely this can't be normal for a car to have this issue out of the factory. I hope I get better luck than you did.
    Does this kind of grinding noise caused by brake pads wearing out?
    The noise is mainly at 10 miles/hr when I apply the brake. I am worried about damaging rotor/caliber if I keep driving.
    Get your brakes checked out, as soon as possible.
  • exshomanexshoman Member Posts: 109
    Have you ever changed the front brake pads before? If not, I'm sure it's time for replacement. The grinding noise is either the wear indicator (some squeal, some grind), or it's the screws of the brake pad digging into the rotor (in which case you'll need a new pair of rotors).

Haven't priced out a brake job on Hondas (mine has only got 17K), but $45 to check them and $190 to replace pads seems a bit steep. Pretty much every garage can do a brake job.
  • deliciousbassdeliciousbass Member Posts: 18
    At 97,000 miles I decided it was time to change the spark plugs. Went to the dealer and was a bit surprised to be told they were $18 each. Bought them anyway and easily swapped them out. Posting this for anyone who hasn't changed plugs yet, but intends to. By the way, the old plugs looked to be in very good shape.
  • boglepaulboglepaul Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Accord V6 with 70K, went through back brakes already, still have meat on the Front Brakes, Now, it seems I need to replace Rear Brakes again. Anyone experience this issue? Also, when I initially purchased my Accord brand new, I was told, 'NO SCHEDULE TUNE-UPS 105K MILES OR 10 YEARS' However, when I look in the owners manual, it's telling me I need to change the timing belt at 60k.
    About a year ago, I got a report for intermediate maintaince. It says the front brake is 60% when the car has 40,000miles. My driving pattern is the same as before, mainly freeway.

Isn't it too fast to use 60% of brake pads in 16,000 miles?
  • alien2alien2 Member Posts: 33
    Yes, I too had rear brakes just replaced (2004 Honda Accord EX V6 with 41K) but the fronts were reported to look like new. I'm not hard on brakes and I'm pretty sure that the emergency brake was not left on (had dealer check operation of the emergency brake light on dash). I wonder if there is some problem with the rear brakes and their connection to the emergency brake :confuse: .
    Yes, the Honda doesn't need a tune-up for 105K. However, I believe that the tune-up refers to spark plugs. I don't believe that the timing belt is considered a tune-up item.
    Both statements are correct. You need no tuneups until 105k miles. You need a timing belt at 60k miles. I'm not seeing the problem there...? :confuse:

If you are at 70k on a 60k belt, get it changed now, you're operating on borrowed time! :shades:
    I see 105k miles or 7 years, for the timing belt in the service manual (severe conditions). I think somewhere in the owner's manual it says to change it at 60k, if you drive the car in -30 degrees or something like over 120 degrees. I guess that could happen at the north pole, or directly on the equator. :surprise:
    Ok, it was 110 degrees F, and minus 20 degrees F. You would have to live in an extreme climate, to need the timing belt changed at 60k miles.
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
  • hondalovahondalova Member Posts: 189
    I've misplaced my owner's manual. What is the normal timing belt replacement interval for the rest of us with current generation Accord V-6 motors? On my '91 Accord EX 4 cyl. it was 90k miles.
    I too have an '04 Accord V-6 where the fronts outlasted the backs. Factory front brakes and rotors were replaced at 14k miles by the dealer due to warped rotors (I bitched and they listened). Rears were replaced at around 43k (I put on ceramic pads).

Front rotors are warping again (just starting to pulsate a little) now at around 67k and I intend to drive the car until the pulsation worsens to the point that I think its unsafe (probably another 3-4k miles - which is only 5-6 weeks for me).

When I first got the car, the brakes were TIGHT - I mean, there was no modulation in the pedal - it was GO or DROP ANCHOR HERE - no in-between. I complained but was told this was normal for this car.

Oh, and, for the record, I ALWAYS replace rotors instead of cutting them. Most of what you save on the cost of the rotors, you spend on labor for the time it takes to turn them so the overall price to the consumer is not that different. Besides, once cut, a resurfaced rotor is thinner and will heat up and warp again that much faster than a newer thicker one - this can only lead to another round of warping+pulsation=brake job and probably sooner than it happened the first time.

-FS
    105k miles or 84 months for the V6 timing belts, hondalova. Severe or normal conditions.
    Thanks elroy5 - I'm at 67k now and driving 25k-30k per year so that means I'm good for another 12-15 months.

-FS
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    2006 with 12,000 miles just started an intermittent stalling at idle. Any ideas?
    Check to see if your car is affected by the "main relay" recall. If not, your still under warranty.
    Actually it's not my car. I'm just visiting family & their Accord just started doing it. What exactly is the main relay recall?
    Yeah, doesn't apply to the 2006 Accord... and the bad relay causes the car to shut off & not restart. This is running fine except at idle, then it restarts. Thanks though. Any other ideas?
    This car is still under warranty, isn't it? Why would you bother trying to fix this yourself?
    Well, either way, it isn't his car to deal with, it's his relatives'. They should take it to a dealer, however. :)
  • cgrobecgrobe Member Posts: 1
    A just audible “clicking “noise seems to be coming from the middle of the dashboard at speeds over 35 mph. I can best describe the sound as the edge of a playing card held lightly against a spinning squirrel cage fan. Except the sound is metallic. When I take my foot of the accelerator pedal the noise stops. It seems to happen when the engine is under a load. The car is 2003 Accord with a V6. When cruising at 65 mph the clicking is quite audible above the usual road noise, but perhaps I am listening for it. If I slip the automatic transmission into neutral while cruising at 55-65, the sound stops instantly.

I have experienced no apparent problem with the transmission. Acceleration is smooth as is the shifting among gears. Going into and out of passing gears is also smooth.
    I wasn't planning on fixing it... just curious what it could be. I can't think of anything that would be causing it that wouldn't turn on the check engine light.
    For instance, it could be the ignition switch, which would not trigger the CEL.
    Honda is offering free 40 points inspection. I got the car checked. Front brake 50%, rear brake 35%.

I think the noise was caused by some kind of dirt on the brake, and they cleaned it while doing the checking. The noise is gone now. :)
    Some times a rock, or other road debris, can get lodged between the rotor and the dust shield.
    My wife was slowly reversing her'05 Accord V6 into the garage, when I could hear a CHIRPING noise coming from the engine, not a continuous noise, but coming and going in a slow interval, like a bird was chirping... prrrr...prrrr...prrrr...

I opened the hood and the chirping was less pronounced when the car was in Park, more pronounced when in gear...

Before taking it to the dealer, anybody has had this experience?
  • therivertheriver Member Posts: 70
    I have an 02 sedan with about 60K. Recently, when I go over bumps or down driveways, I sort of hear a thumping sound coming from the front. It does not sound like a lose strut, it sounds more like the undercarriage is just groaning. It is only when I hit bumps that I hear it, no particualr handling problems that I can tell. Any ideas
  • htthtt Member Posts: 75
    I took it back to the dealer. It's fixed under warranty. The service guy said that they re-sealed the driver front door and tested. I don't know how they fixed it but I see a piece of duct tape sticking out. So far it's OK but I need lots of rain to see if it's really fixed.