Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
In order to make the original and highly popular “Honda Accord Owners: Problems and Solutions” forum more manageable, we are dividing that forum into “Accord generations”.

Please make sure you are in the right generation for your Accord, and then post your questions concerning any maintenance or repair item.

Thank you again for helping to make the Accord forums so great here at Edmunds!

MrShiftright
Host

Comments

• user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    shifty - please see my comments Forum's Software! Your Questions Answered forum.

oh boy - my advice: look out for flying snowballs and icicles!
  • durbs68durbs68 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for splitting the Problems Forums into Accord Generations. Great suggestion.

Has anybody tinted the windows? I want to tint rear doors and back window. I will have a professional do it. Any ideas on how dark to go? Any problems with tinting on the Accord. I have an 05.
    Thanks in advance.
  • susanfsusanf Member Posts: 3
    I also recently bought a 2006 Accord with automatic V6 engine and have found that the shifting of the transmission is fairly noticeable and annoying at around 20 to 25 mph both when letting off the accelerator and when gradually applying the accelerator. If I accelerate moderately (or strongly), it's not as noticeable.

I have also noticed a vibration in the gas pedal at lower city speeds and a pull to the left when driving over 40 mph.

Anyone have ideas as to if these are common problems?

Thanks. Great split on the form BTW.
  • biomanbioman Member Posts: 172
    This is a great idea. It will make it much easier to deal with issues pertaining to our specific generation of Accord. How do we get to the archive of the old forum? There is a lot of valuable in that forum that is now gone.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Anytime you are posting here, you can just scroll up to the top of the page where you will see the links Forums > Maintenance and Repair.

If you click on Maintenance and Repair, it displays the entire list of discussions available on the Maintenance & Repair Board.

And on the top of that list is the "Archived Discussions" link.

Also you can just use the "Search Forums" feature to the left of this page and enter the keyword "Honda Accord" and you will see all active AND archived discussion about the Accord.

Shifty the Host
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Thank you Shifty. Now, if we can reopen the MGB and FIAT 124 forums...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    someday my boy, someday, this too shall come to pass.
  • haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    "Now, if we can reopen the MGB and FIAT 124 forums..."

In other words, don't hold your breath...
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    Seems to me from my OWN experience, with an '05 bought in August, and reading stuff here, that IT IS COMMON.

It seems that Honda has ALWAYS had issues with its transmission. It's been ALWAYS shifting more roughly than some other cars (its archrival Camry, for instance), though comparing my new '05 to my old '95 (both V6), there is quite an improvement...

And yes, I have also noticed some slight vibration at low speed, sometimes....

Pull to the left? That needs to be addressed by your dealer. But before that, have you checked your tires' air pressure?
  • jaharrisjaharris Member Posts: 4
    I have a 04 Accord Ex with a CD Changer in the dash.The lighting for the radio and heater controls has failed and Honda says the radio must be replaced for $650. The radio and heater still work. The car is 2 years old with 65000 miles. Any suggestions?
  • richards38richards38 Member Posts: 606
    Your Accord is out of warranty, but I'd suggest calling, writing, or emailing Honda's zone office or whatever Honda entity might satisfy a reasonable complaint.

If your problem is common, Honda might be willing to absorb most or all of the repair cost. It's worth a try.

Let us know of your success--Honda (as well as other car manufacturers) will sometimes accommodate customers with repairs even beyond the warranty period. Isn't that why we buy Hondas? Because they're unlikely to have the kind of problem you're having?........Richard
    I followed your instructions and all I found was the "Honda Accord Hybrid Problems & Solutions" Forum. The original forum that preceded this one is missing.
  • bmr123bmr123 Member Posts: 60
    I own a 05 Accord EX-V6. Seems like since the weather in jersey has been getting colder, the radio has been running very sluggish. When I'm flipping channels on the XM (which is great) and the radio, it moves very slowly through the channels and when the volume is increased. Did I get a junky battery or are other people noticing this problem?? In my old 00 EX-V6 I ran a 600 watt amp and never had a problem with the stock battery in any weather condition. Seems very strange to have this issue in a new car. Anyone have any input on this issue or have the same problem? I just don't want this problem to get worse and my car not starting or electrical issues.
  • webby1webby1 Member Posts: 209
    I also just purchased a 2006 SE V6 ( for wife ) and noticed the rough downshift.....it feels as the brakes are on when decelerating not running freely.
    According to the dealer that is normal for that tranny.
    No vibration on my yet ?!
    Also, car is pulling to the right and I am sure it is the crap Michelins Pilot HX MXM4....dealer is checking the wheel alignment this week and if that is not the problem he will replace the tires.
    Other then this the car is great....very quiet....solid....no squeaks or rattles.
    HP overrated at 244 HP.....my 330i feels so much faster !.....I know, I know it is the torque !
    Regards,
    Webby
  • dob3dob3 Member Posts: 1
    when driving in cruise if i turn left or right with turn signal it turns off my cruise i have a 2006 honda accord v6
  • whitecloud1whitecloud1 Member Posts: 268
    Just wondered, does the main Cruise switch go to off?
  • kanukanu Member Posts: 19
    I have a 05 accord still under the warranty (6000mile). I look at the estimate costs on dealer service maintenance costs on the Edmunds, and majority of expenses are for labor inspection costs (~$200). My questions are:

1) I wonder how useful are these inspection? or they are just dealer profit. If I don’t feel anything wrong with the car, would you recommend to skip them and just do only the “real maintain” like oil change/ air filter, etc.

2) Does the warranty (and Honda care- extended warranty) require us to complete the inspection?.

3) If the inspections are useful, I might do them at 30000 miles services (skip 10000, and 20000 miles inspections). What would you think?

Thanks in advance
    There is a difference between the "Recommended" maintenance schedule that the dealer suggests and the "Required" maintenance schedule that Honda states in the Owners Manual. In order to maintain your warranty you must follow the required schedule that Honda outlines in the Owner's Manual. Some people feel that the dealer recommendations go a little over the top. If you follow the Severe Driving Conditions schedule in the Owners Manual you can't go wrong. If you are handy and inclined to do so, you could probably do most of the inspections yourself.
    webby1;

Have you checked your cold tire pressures against the inflation specifications on the door jam label? If your wife's car is pulling to the right, it sounds like one front tire has more or less air than the other.
  • accordmqaccordmq Member Posts: 25
    This problem has been asked about many times. I have found the TSB # in the archived messags. A free replacement is expected.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2517
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    I don't see what all that you describe here about has to do with the battery...

XM radio IS sluggish to change station, just the way it works. The only explanation to it being even more sluggish in the winter, which I doubt, maybe clouds, or atmospheric interference, since your car gets the XM signal directly from the Satelite up there high in the sky...
    Have not had a chance yet....car has 400km.
    Taking it in tomorrow for a wheel alignment check so will have the tire pressure checked.
    Will post when find out.
    Thanks
    Webby
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    After posting slippage problems over the last few months, my '03 EX V6 tranny quit this evening with 51k miles.

The 2nd gear slipped about 8-10 times over the course of 20k miles before failing today. Yes, it passed the 2nd gear color inspection recall.

I pulled the car onto the shoulder of a busy interstate in rush hour. The smell of burnt trans fluid filled the car. The engine was revving as I pushed the accelerator but the car did not move.

To make a long story short, I was able to limp the car into my driveway.

I refuse to pay for a tranny replacement on a $26k car (I bought brand new) with 51K miles. Honda should goodwill a new trans.
  • atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    I second that.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I have a brand new 2006 Accord EX, and from the factory, the rubber seating that helps guide the flap into place so it will latch, was misapplied (its hard to explain where it is, but it is on the door above the latch (not on the car)). This caused the gas flap to pop open any time the trunk was shut tight, or a door was closed hard. Took it to the dealer and had them fix it while I watched...simple procedure. Just in case someone else out there has this problem, I wanted to let you know its a VERY EASY and QUICK fix, and not a big problem. Now, for the next 1,000 miles!
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Questions:
    1.) Did you ever change the trans fluid?
    2.) If the answer to this question is "yes", did you use Honda fluid?
    3.) Did you purchase a Honda extended warranty?
    FACT:
    Honda does not have to "good will" anything! You are well beyond the 3 year / 36,000 mile new vehicle warranty. If you wanted to protect your vehicle investment, you could have purchased a 7 year / 100,000 mile warranty for $875.00 at the time of the vehicle purchase. You cannot have it both ways, (saving on the purchase price of the warranty, and getting a warranty as "good will") You took a gamble and you lost! :cry:
  • whitecloud1whitecloud1 Member Posts: 268
    I might agree with U djm2, except for the fact that Honda tried to fix their transmissions. Meaning they saw a problem. Their fix did not work in this case. Obviously they owe some relief in my opinion.
  • ken972ken972 Member Posts: 162
    I think this sounds like a normal problem with lcd radios. In every car that ive had..when its freaking freezing out the radio lcd will be sluggish. As soon as the car warms up it returns to normal.
    1.) Did you ever change the trans fluid? (1) The Honda maintenance schedule does not require transmission fluid change until 100k miles.

(2) Did you purchase a Honda extended warranty?
    No, I bought a Honda for reliability. American Honda is pretty fair about replacing/fixing items that are premature failures. I don't think anyone will dispute the fact that transmission failure at 51k is considered premature. My car has a full service record at the dealer where I purchased the car new.

You took a gamble and you lost!
    If I bought a Ford, GM, or Chrysler I would agree. Those companies typically do not stand behind their product like Honda. I trust Honda will replace the transmission for free since they recognized the problem early w/the 2nd gear recall.

IMO, I think Honda will extend the transmission warranties to 100k on the +'03 V6 Accords like the 99'-01' Odyssey campaign. And yes, I am also a victim of 2 transmission replacements in my '00 Odyssey.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >You took a gamble and you lost!
    If I bought a Ford, GM, or Chrysler I would agree

The Hondas lines have had transmission problems for more than a decade. They've had to extend warranty to 100K mi. on many models. You bought a known problem car with trans problems.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

To All :

Wheel alignment was out on 3 wheels, rear right really bad.....great Hunter machine brought all to specs...it was intersting to watch.
    Air pressure was fine in all tires .
    Took it for a drive with service mgr and car still pulled to the left.
    Went back and switched front tires...left to the right side and right to the left side.
    Took the car for test drive again and now pulls to the left side.
    The verdict as suspected.....crappy Michelins Pilot HX MXM4.
    Planning to replace with BF Goodrich Traction T/AV 91V, had great luck with these or Bridgestone Turenza LSV

Also, first tank gave me 450 km ( 64.7 l tank )....I am averaging 650 km on my 330i ( 63 l tank ) both cars are rated approx same for gas consumption.
    Service mgr drives same car but a Coupe V6 and best so far he got is 500 km.....what is going on ????????
    Regards,
    Webby

P.S. Wife loves the car !
  • 06nighthawkv606nighthawkv6 Member Posts: 55
    Hey guys,

I just bought an automatic V6 sed and I was reading some of your problems and wanted to say I too had a pull to the right on my Accord V6 but rather then checking alignment, the dealer just needs to switch the front two tires that are on your car and see if the pull happens the opposite way. If it does, whichever way it is pulling is the bad tire. This is such a common problem that the dealer actually stocks extra crappy Michilins Pilot Hx MXM4 and all other Michilins so they can "replace" them. Do not ask to get your alignment done if this happens because you will waste the dealer's money paying his Tech to do a unnecessary and time-consuming job. BTW, the dealer ain't gonna do it even if you ask but don't waste your energy over this despite your enthusiasm for your new car. I am coming from a V4 Integra so I am not worried about any sluggish down shifting of this transmission and infact, I am praying to the Honda gods to keep my tranny and everything else safe from early malfunction. I would advise you all to do the same becasue you know that if you wanted a strong V6 (counting the Tranny) you would buy a Nissan V6 cuz they practically "specialize" in strong V6 engines. Hondas, at the moment, doesn't specialize in anything except maybe fit n finish despite historically being great at 4 cyl vehicles. If you run your V6 like a V4 while in traffic and like a Prius by letting off the gas completely when you see a red light in the distance, we hopefully won't have a Tranny (nor brake) problem. Pray hard! :sick:
  • bmr123bmr123 Member Posts: 60
    I meant the entire radio is sluggish in all modes xm, regular radio, cd. Changing stations, increasing or decreasing volume, changing mode, etc. Just thought it was strange that a 2005 accord would have a weak battery as compared to my 2000 accord that never had any of these issues even with my 600 watt amp.
  • daavodaavo Member Posts: 8
    I haven't posted here in a while but Ive had luck before so here it goes. I ran out of gas yesterday (first time I've ever done that but stupid nonetheless) in my 03 accord. I didnt think I was out of gas because the check engine light had just gone on so I attempted to restart the car 3x (thinking maybe it was bad gas or something) and it started all three times but would stop immediately. I called honda care and they brought out 2 gallons of gas. It started right up but now the engine light is on....not the "check engine" or whatever that thing is that comes on every 10k. Any help would be appreciated.
    Your dealer's service department can "clear the code" in a few minutes. That will shut off the light.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    You purchased a vehicle, (V6 Honda with an automatic transmission), that has had a problem back to the late 90s in this area, and you didn't purchase an extended Honda warranty on this vehicle? If you had purchased an extended warranty, not only would the trans have been covered, but other components would have been covered as well! The Honda Accord also has a problem with the AC Compressor failing at about 52,000 miles. Are you going to ask for a "good will" repair on that unit too? I don't think you are being fair to your dealer, Honda or other Honda customers who have purchase the extended warranty. If you want security, purchase an extended warranty, keep up-to-date with the required service, and when something fails it will be replaced without a problem. I make it a point to have the automatic trans fluid changed once a year as part of general maintenance. The Honda dealer performs this service, and uses Honda fluid. ------ Best regards. ---Dwayne
  • punchpermpunchperm Member Posts: 9
    I have an 06 Accord, and I noticed similar behavior in the cold weather. I don't think that it's your radio acting slowly; rather I think it's just that the LCD screen doesn't update as quickly in really cold weather.

Try it out with the trip odometer as well. That takes a long time to update between clicks in cold weather too.
    yeah, in engineering school, noticed the same with a calculator. ;)
  • toggle_77toggle_77 Member Posts: 2
    Susan, I have the exact same problem with my '06 Accord V6 shifting roughly. I just got it one week ago (December 10th), and a few days later I noticed that the transmission was shifting roughly. From what I've been reading here, it seems like a common problem with Accords. However, I wonder if its a problem with some transmissions and not others...so in other words, is it possible I could get Honda to replace the transmission and maybe this time I'll get a "better" one. Who knows? If 10% of their transmissions are "lemons", I'll take my chances with a new one. I'll call the dealer and find out.
    What you have described is absolutely NOT a common problem. Accord automatic transmissions are noted for their smooth operation.
  • haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    Honda's automatic transaxles have been noted here, elsewhere, and in print over a decade and a half for their "crisp" (aka, harsh) shift characteristics. Starting with MY 2003, Honda toned it down some with a reformulated transmission fluid ("Z-1"), but they're still not in the same shift-quality league with the competition's automatics - and unless Honda goes to a planetary-type AT design which requires significantly lower hydraulic working pressures, I question whether their ATs ever will be.
    I agree. I drive an 02 Accord 4cyl with 4spd A/T+OD. I drive it in lots of stop-n-go traffic on 285 in ATL on a daily basis. I experience smooth shifts and no hesitation.

Haefr, what sorts of "crispness" should I be experiencing?
    I have a 2006 Accord Lx V6 and I also feel the hesitation in deceleration like the brakes are being applied when its slowing down with no foot on the gas or brakes and you're just coasting and coming to a stop. You mentioned the dealer said it was normal and I also thought it was just a "feature" of the V6 and its performance (or by-product of) but am not 100% sold on the idea after reasing your post. I bet my dealer will say the same thing, that it's normal, and since it only happens in deceleration, I am not annoyed by it and infact it helps the car slow down without applying the brakes which is an actual plus! Now I have not noticed any harshes in shift between 20 and 25 mph as someone else(female) has pointed out here and I know I have applied the gas lovingly at that speed a lot since I only have about 425 miles and am breaking in this car. I wonder if I should atleast inquire with the dealer about the harsh deceleration. I am certainly going to inquire about a slow crank that I feel is happening but I hear elsewhere on other boards that a slow crank is happening to other Accords (including I4) and it could be a "feature" of the DBW (new?) but again I am not sure. Is anyone having a slow crank? The way I describe is it takes like 5 to 6 cranking sound-bites to start the car instead of maybe 2 to 3.
  • drcitrusdrcitrus Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2004 Accord EXV6. Just did the recommended 30K service and Honda tells me that my rear disk brake pads need to be replaced. I looked myself, and sure enough, they are quite low, though not into the metal or anything.

Since I drive mostly highway miles, my first thought was that somehow my handbrake had been on for a time and I'd missed it. I checked the function of the dash light and found that if the lever is even one click up, the light on the dash is on, and I dont think I would have missed that.

The service advisor gave me some explantion that city driving will sometimes cause premature rear wear, but that does not apply in my case. Any chance that something like the ABS system might have caused the premature wear?

Just looking for answers since in my own experience the fronts go way before the backs and my fronts still have alot of meat on them. The handbrake explantion is the most plausible, but I dont see that has having happened here...

Thanks for any insights/experiences you may have.
    Hello,

Just an update: I just reported that the Accord might have a slow crank but actuallly its an extended crank and not a slow crank that is what my purported malady is. I'm "going in" on Monday to my service dept and have them check the fuel etc. It's not a slow crank because a slow crank would be the actual cranking would be longer but an extended crank is it just that.. takes extra cranks to start and not necessarily longer cranks. Meanwhile, I am going to try this:
    Put the car in the On position for about a second or two before you start it to see if it needs time for the fuel pressuring to take place. You know that sound you hear like a Whiz boom and a click before you start the car? That's the sounds of the fuel being added before you start the car. Also I am going to try to put the gas cap to one click when I shut it as opposed to two clicks. Anyone else had this extended crank and know what the fix was?
    I trust my dealer ( Service mgr ) I am working with....I have driven Honda's since 1975....drove his car V6 coupe and same thing.....he tells me that they did have a few problems with V6 tranny's mostly in Odyssey and a few in Accords V6's but not for the last couple years.
    The I4 has been bullet proof.
    I am not concerned about it since the warranty is 5 yrs or 100,000 km and as you said it really is not a problem.
    However there are couple other things that bother me....took the car today for lengthy drive on the highway approx 100 km and drove at speed between 100 and 130 km, there appears to be a slight vibration on the gas pedal at around 120 km/hr.
    I can not tell if it is from the tranny, engine, bad gas or ??? ....it does not bother my wife but it bugs me.
    Also, the mileage appears bad....do not have the numbers yet since the car has only 600 km....please comment on your mileage.
    So no problem starting...first crank
    Will be talking to Honda first thing Monday morning and will post.
    Regards,
    Webby
    P.S. Wife loves the car !
  • ramidaramida Member Posts: 67
    "...there appears to be a slight vibration on the gas pedal at around 120 km/hr...Also, the mileage appears bad...."

I have a 2006 Accord SE Automatic with 700 miles and here's a list of my observations:

o Occasional vibration is gas pedal, especially in hilly drive

o Weak acceleration in short-ramp fast freeways (--I was able to remedy this by using D3 gear initially and then at the right moment shift to D; now I'm also incorporating the "2" gear when making sharp turns that go uphill, shifting from D to D3 then "2", then D3, D depending on the slope; yeah this automatic transmission can be operated as a "stick" without having to worry about depressing a clutch!)

o Low MPG in mixed city-highway (60%-40%) driving -- only averaging 23.9 miles per gallon!

o Obnoxious engine sound when running between 40 to 50 miles on a hilly road (is this what they call "gear hunting"?)

o Noticeable "rough" auto transmission shifting, especially the first drive in the morning.

Not very impressed, ramida
    .....he tells me that they did have a few problems with V6 tranny's mostly in Odyssey and a few in Accords V6's but not for the last couple years.

Sorry to tell you this but your dealer is pacifying you by saying what you want to hear. As far as I know, your car has the same V6 tranny as the 03'-05'models. Many people including myself reporting tranny failure at 50k. Do a search in this forum or google it for yourself.
  • oldjoeoldjoe Member Posts: 132
    I believe the 2003 Accord introduced an all-new 5-speed automatic transmission.