Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Dude?
  • rlommbardirlommbardi Member Posts: 30
    I have noticed on my car .... when I turn the key it does not start... makes a crummy noise..and do this 2-4 times then it starts... brought it to the dealer and they said it is the Battery... I had it checked out by Sears and they said the battery is ok.... can it be the starter switch???rll
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    can you describe the "crummy noise"?

If it is sort of a crunching noise without turning the engine, then its probably the starter. If it is a sharp click followed by nothing or a series of clicks, then it could be battery or switch/selenoid.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• bunkie1bunkie1 Member Posts: 18
    My wife has a 2003 Accord EX-L too. One of the only negatives Consumer Reports mentioned back in 2002 was the steering wheel buttons were not illuminated. I notice it every time I drive her car at night. My VW's cruise control buttons are on the opposite side, so the confusion is natural.
  • f0rl0rnf0rl0rn Member Posts: 71
    Anything is possible. But you are going to get the same response from anyone that actually would know how to do it. It's a ridiculous idea and it's ridiculous to be upset about it. You shouldn't buy a Honda again if this type of thing bothers you. I would think you wouldn't want to trade soflty illuminated steering wheel buttons, which you shouldn't be looking at during the night while driving anyway, for the lower quality, reliability and resaleability of a the Mazda or Chevy.
  • accord6mtaccord6mt Member Posts: 53
    I have an '05 accord coupe and my steering wheel buttons are illuminated... but they're so softly lit (intentionally I'd think) that most of the time I barely notice 'em. I use them by feel and to be honest, I think the different tactile bumps and shapes of each button are more important than having them lit... my two cents.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    I have an '02 and don't use cruise anyway, so it's not a critical issue / need for me.

Honda Ergonomics w.r.t. controls and illumination tend to be very good. This would come down to "gratuitous" for the very reasons you indicate (tactile information is present) but also the position is very easy to learn.

Now then, the position may collide with the position of the controls in another vehicle, but does that warrent illuminating the controls? I don't think so. Should they be illuminated because other manufactures do it? Again, I don't think so.

But to the OP's question: I think one would have to determine if the "clockspring" used on the steering column were the same P/N as that used on the more recent models with the illumination, because if there isn't electrical wires to supply voltage to the switches for illumination, then not only would the steering wheel and switch assembly have to change, but also the clockspring, and probably the wiring harness to it.

Rather than entertaining a mod to illiuminate the extant switches and the cost and effort to do so, one might be better off NOT to encourage the use of CC if the positions cannot be easily learned or determined by tactile feel. Why?

Well, I'd make the argument that if you have to go heads down at night (or daytime for that matter) to determine where the switches are, then chances are the driver is in traffic, and in those situations, CC isn't advised, nor going heads down for that matter.

Or put another way, illuminating the switches on the Steering Wheel may support locating the switch to do function X at night, but it also degrades the driving task by supporting heads-down time.

In other words... ahem, IMHO, Honda goofed by putting illumination on those buttons. They had it right to begin with and probably had some marketing expert force engineering to compromise their otherwise excellent philosophy and execution. :surprise:
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Excellent points.
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    Today I took my '05 Accord V6 EX, with 15,000 miles, to the dealership, complaining about excessive vibrations when the car is idling, both in Neutral and in Drive (waiting at a stop light). The answer was "all is normal"... If my V6 engine vibrates so much, I can just imagine how much worse would be the I-4...

But then we also own an '06 4-banger Sonata and let me assure you, any child putting his hand on the steering wheel could easily conclude that the I-4 Sonata is a lot smoother idling than our V6 Accord... This seems illogical to me.

I carefully looked at the Tachometer needle, and it's resting at 650 rpm when idling. Is this the normal rpm of a warm V6 engine?
  • bav_fan07bav_fan07 Member Posts: 68
    I am the OP. Points well taken. thanks for your input.

You are technically right - you shouldn't be looking at the controls to begin with - but it is annoying when you switch cars and you do need to take a quick look to remember which button is what. Also, it doesn't help when your better half complains about it - it just gets annoying and tiresome to hear the complaints. I bought that car way back in 2003, brand new and never complained. I do admit I was peeved that all the other manufacturers had it - and I guess I fell into that trap "they have it, why don't I?" This was my frist Honda vehicle and I'm a proud Honda owner. The 2003 maybe doesn't live up to the reputation of the previous generation Accord, but again I believe the previous generations set the bar so high its hard to always live up to it. Compared to other cars the car is very reliable and I've been very satisfied.

And I'm closing this topic as I really have nothing to complain about. and my better half is just going to have to accept it.

thanks!
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Today I took my '05 Accord V6 EX, with 15,000 miles, to the dealership, complaining about excessive vibrations when the car is idling, both in Neutral and in Drive (waiting at a stop light).

If the dealership tells you the vibration is normal, it's not. My 03 EX V6 has 50,100 miles and it has never vibrated at idle (either in park or drive at a red light). From what I've heard, there is an engine mount adjustment TSB for vibrations. Good luck with the dealership service department.
    didn't mean to preach.

i've been in other vehicles where there was so much illumination as to make it hard to drive the vehicle at night because it was so darn distracting. i really do feel Honda gets it more right than wrong and does a better ergonomics job than most other manufacturers.

now i got your better half anectdote and see you going all-in: my wife has been caught using CC and sitting "indian style". OMG :surprise:
  • tankbeanstankbeans Member Posts: 585
    Scary. I wouldn't even do that. OOOOAAAAMMMM. Tee hee.
  • rlommbardirlommbardi Member Posts: 30
    Thanks for the quick response -
    the noise when happens.... (not all the time) is like a clicking.... I do this 3-4 times let it rest - then turn the key and it starts ok.... I had the batery checked -and it is good...3 years old We live in Chicago area....so cold winters.... ????? rl
    I think you're wrong, blane. The TSB is for the 2003-04 model Accord, not clear to me whether it's only for the I-4 or V6 as well, though, but still, it does not cover the 2005 model.

Of course, there is ALWAYS some vibrations at idle speed, so this is kind of subjective, of course. But to me it seems excessive, especially for a V6, which is suppose to be smooth, smoother than an I-4, and especially when compared to our Sonata, which is an I-4.... The SM at the dealer said they will compare it to another V6 Accord, but I don't believe they actually did that.....

That's one of the reasons I try to stay away from getting service at dealerships, you don't really know what they've checked and done to your car...

But again, is an idle speed of 650 rpm normal for a warm engine (when in D or even Neutral)? I suspect that the cause of the vibrations is the low rpm. Shouldn't it be 750-800?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    IIRC, the correct idle speed range was 700-1000 for my 4-cyl Accord in my 1996, depending on how cold the engine is (a cold engine runs higher to help speed the warming process). 650 is pretty low, especially for a cold start.
    I sure wouldn't compare an '05 V6 Accord to a '96 I-4 Accord....

And no, I'm not talking about a cold start, of course, I'm talking about a warm/hot engine, driven for a good while, rpm checked at a stop light. 650 is where the needle rests. And the vibrations can be well noticed when my hands lay on the steering wheel (I can also hear the engine).

Com'on, V6 guys, look at your tachometer next time you're at a stop light....

...Thanks.
    And no, I'm not talking about a cold start, of course

Sorry, I didn't know. What I can tell you is that my 4-cyl 2006 Accord doesn't produce noticeable vibration at any point when idling. It sounds like, to me, you have a problem if the V6 (which is supposed to be smoother) is vibrating.
    Ok, I checked it out tonight, and the engine does idle at 650rpm in drive at a stop light, and it goes up about 50-100rpm in park/neutral. Yes, you can tell the engine is running, but there is no vibration that could be called irritating. I suspect your engine mounts need to be adjusted.
  • torr310torr310 Member Posts: 41
    Both of my sister's 05 and my 06 have the driver window squeak sound.
    My sister's had been fixed...not completely. It's just that loud as before.

I haven't taken mine to dealer... because it only happens sometimes and I cannot make sure if they will hear it at the time I go there. (The dealership is kinda far from my house)
  • accord_03_lxgaccord_03_lxg Member Posts: 3
    Hi guys!
    I just install an “Outside-Temperature Gauge” and its dosing work atoll, so I hope someone knows something to help me!
    Tank’s!
    :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
    Thanks, elroy. I actually mentioned the engine mounts to the service manager when I took the car there, and his response was "engine mounts? Never heard of it as an issue with the Accord... Maybe with the Odyssey, but not with the Accord".... So I don't know, I read here that it IS an issue with some vibrating Accords....

I'm going to visit a friend of mine who own the same exact car, but a year older (2004), and do an apple-to-apple comparison, before I challenge the dealer again. All I know is that this car vibrates more, significantly more than my 4-banger Sonata, both have the same miles on the odometer (about 15k). To me that doesn't make sense, but if both mine and my friend's vibrate the same, and that's the way Honda designed the Accord, so be it, I'd be willing to accept it as is.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Are the steering wheels lights supposed to be subtle lit? or are they brighter?

My 06 SE buttons dimly glow
    Does the vehicle (presumed to be a 2003) have fog lights?

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/03accord/tempgauge.pdf
    Supposed to be dim, so as not to distract the driver.
    That isn't much of a reply from the service mgr. I'd go as quickly as possible to another dealership (I presume you're under warranty and the guy is avoiding servicing the car).

I think the engine mounts are adjustable. Geesh for that matter, and I don't know much about them, at least one may have a vacuum hose going to it to modulate it's "stiffness", so maybe the hose slipped off. Not positive, but saw one of these on either my '02 accord or '03 ody when i was under them yesterday changing the oil and filter. I can't remember which, I was busy avoiding the exhaust manifolds going into the CAT and my little ones were running around distracting me. Everytime I'm under either car though, I notice something else about the vehicles design and appreciate their engineering more.

Anyhow, I had a '94 accord where a mount went. There is such a thing as a marginal part.

So, like I said, the reply you got is reason (at least it would be to me) to seek service elsewhere.

FWIW: my '02 accord I4 idles about the same as previously noted 600+ rpm with the AC off, and the vibration is noticeable but not significant. I think some is expected from an I4. My '03 ody with the V6 though idles very smoothly, more than once (when the surrounding noise level is high) I thought the engine wasn't running.

Good luck.
    I actually mentioned the engine mounts to the service manager when I took the car there, and his response was "engine mounts? Never heard of it as an issue with the Accord... Maybe with the Odyssey, but not with the Accord"....

I find it hard to believe the service manager never heard of this. There is at least one TSB concerning this.
    No, I know it is not possible to install them together.
    Tank’s for responding me
    I followed the instructions step by step, but I didn’t disconnect the battery because I don't have the radio code....., I have the big Honda Service Manual and I check the sensor and its good, maybe the hole system need’s to reboot to see the new peripherals………..
    I
  • cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    Hi, my sister has on 07 Accord and I am looking for seat covers, both front and rear. I've seen a number of sites online, but am wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

thanks!
    If you have airbags in the seats, you'll need special covers to accomodate them.
  • cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    Thanks. I don't know; I'll have to ask.
    It definitely DOES have airbags in the seats (standard in all Accords of that year). you don't have to ask. :)
    I have never actually looked for any, but I'm sure someone makes seat covers that will work with the airbags. These special fitted covers will no doubt cost more though. You can't just cover them (air bags) up with regular covers, that's for sure.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    I looked into this a couple of times for my '05. If you do a search, you will come up with a few choices. Depedning on what material, and how custom, they can run $200-$250 for the fronts.

Here is one place that seems to have a nice selection (haven't bought, so I can't vouch).

http://gtcovers.com/

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• jimmyk2jimmyk2 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2007 V6 SE a little over a year ago. A few months later it started giving me major problems. If I didn't drive it every two weeks it would die, would not even start, no lights would even work! I took it to the dealership and they said everything was fine, well, its a 100 mile drive to the dealer. Over time the problem got worse, now if I do not drive it for 4-5 days it will not start unless I charge the batt. back up on a charger!! I have take the car two more times but they never find a problem, I really don't think they know what they are doing at this point and they have been blowing me off now. I am seriously thinking about writing a letter to Honda USA about this dealership. Anyway, here are some observations:

Current drain at the batter when the car is OFF, all doors shut, no lights on, etc is 150mA. Is this normal? A different dealer told me 35mA is normal.

If I disconnect the battery when I don't plan to drive it never had a problem, even after many days.

With these two issues in mind I'm thinking there is a problem with the electrical system OR aftermarket alarm (KARR alarm) system.

The dopey dealer claims they don't know how to disconnect the KARR alarm on any day of the week except Tuesdays. Guess what, I work full time and the dealer is 100 miles away.

Can anyone help? Anyone had this problem with a new Accord? I bought Honda for reliability and so far my 1996 Ford Aerostar is much better!
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Sounds indeed like an electrical drain problem, and the aftermarket alarm is certainly a suspect (but it could be other electrical items as well). Guessing the dealer can only do Tuesdays, as that is when their alarm installer is there.

Unfortunately the way to isolate the drain, is to put an ampmeter on like you apparently have already done, and start yanking the fuses to determine which ones have an impact. Somebody has to narrow it down to the bad circuit, and your working situation with the closest dealership 2 hrs away is obviously a problem. If you could get it down to the problem circuit, it would make your time at the dealership most productive....as they'd be in 'fix' mode, as opposed to 'diagnose' mode.

Is this an alarm the dealership added, or somebody else?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    is that really the closest dealer, or just the one you bought it from?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

i guess i too would be suspicious of the ckt the aftermarket alarm is installed on. they should be able to tell you that over the phone, and you should be able to pull the fuse for that and see if the drain is still there.

one thing i'd do is bring the vehicle to an autozone or napa or other and have them do an alternator and battery test.

its possible your alternator is bad, but the current draw of 150mA seems high. I would expect with everything powered down, it would be closer to the 35mA mark myself.

say your bat was a 50Ahr bat. Dividing 50Ahr by 0.150A yields what 333hr or about 14days?

unless you do as kiawah suggested though, you don't know what is contributing to the current draw. it could be a stuck window regulator, a stuck power seat, even a stuck relay.

i suspect the alarm, i do, but you can do your own sleuthing by hooking up the ammeter, and pulling fuse by fuse till you find the ckt with the biggest current change when disconnected / reconnected.

hope it helps.
  • barkinsbarkins Member Posts: 10
    Recently whenever my Accord is in Park, or just stopped at a red light, it vibrates. Like, it'll vibrate, then stop, then vibrate, off and on, it's not consistent.

What could it mean?
    Turn your A/C off and see if it does the same thing. It sounds like it could be your A/C compressor kicking on and off.

What model is your Accord, what engine?
    I have an EX-L i4. I will try out the AC thing when I get back into my car. I'm hoping it's no big deal, I don't really have the time to take it to the shop.
    Just set your Climate Control to "A/C OFF," I bet this solves your problem. With the auto climate control, the Air Conditioner runs all the time if it is set to FULL AUTO, and if it is cold outside, this could be causing extra vibration (especially in a 4-cyl). You don't need A/C a lot of the time in the cold weather anyway (except to prevent fogging).
    Good point and it was in fact really cold this morning. Thanks
    Does anyone driving an 06-07 accord think the suspension is a little tough. When I go over bumps, I can hear the tires hitting, is that normal. Also is the sound normal to be a bit louder in the rear, than in the front. Is this because there is less weight. I had the radio off the other day, and noticed it, but I haven't before. I wouldn't think that there would be anything wrong, its not really what you call noise, but maybe I am reading into it too closely. Its like a thud, but more from the rear.... Maybe its just me... who knows...lol, because I am very picky about my car. Let me know.....
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    Just had my '05 EX-L (4 cyl/manual) in for it's 2 year, 20K service.

Brakes checked out at 10mm pad thickness front, 9mm rear (same on both sides). What the heck is the thickness of new pads anyway, and when do you hit the wear bars?

tires were 7/32nd front, 8/32 rear (but they are getting rotated this week, so that seems about the right differential).

They also tested the battery. 12.77 V, and a whopping 416cca (out of a rated 440).

That might explain why the car is so lathargic (barely cranking over) when the temp gets into the 30s. I has been like that since new.

Honda just puts real marginal batteries in the Accord. When it dies, I will replace it with a big honking one that can start a Peterbilt in Alaska.

So overall, the car seems to be doing fine.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I think I have decided its totally normal, but I have never took the time to really notice that the car rides very tight, and that you are going to have sound thud sound because it is so tight. I have heard others have had the same opninion.
  • lwlwlwlw Member Posts: 2
    Where can I find a chart of what maintenance services should be done at specific mileages? I just bought a used 2006 Accord LX sedan from a private party. In the owners manual that came with it, I just see info about the dashboard "Maintenance Minder" display and, of course, the owner's maintenance list for checking fluids,tire pressure and lights regularly. I want to keep up with preventive maintenance so it will last forever, without having to depend on dealer servicing or reminders. For my old 1990 Accord I had a chart with service requirements at major mile points. Thanks.
    Since your 2006 is mechanically identical to the 2005, click here:
    https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp

On the left, click on Owner's Manuals
    Click on 2005 Owner's Manuals
    Click on Honda 2005 Accord Sedan Owner's Manual
    In the Maintenance section, click on the (blue) page 197 at the right
    Click on the Maintenance Schedule (blue) page 199 in the center column
    You'll find what you need on pages 199 through 205