Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    How in the hell do tires wear out in 24k. My 2005 Accord EX-L original equipment tires lasted to 75,000 and could have gone 90,000. I just chose to change them out. I rotate my tires every 10,000.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I have leather seats and the driver seat is very uncomfortable for my back. I wonder if it is the lumbar. I try it with it activated and not activated. Does anyone else find the seat uncomfortable? It really wears on you if you are taking a trip.
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    I have a 04 EX-L sedan and find the seats to be more comfortable than any other car I've owned. I made a 3000 mile trip and felt great.

My girlfriend also made the trip with me, and for her, She was a little sore at the end of each day. She had to use a small travel pillow for relief. I guess it's a personal issue with each person. Some find the seats great, some as you have found do have issues.

Have you tried a small lumbar support pillow, the type designed for vehicles? A trucker friend said he picked one up at a truck stop, and it made a world of difference for him.

Mrbill
  • billpaulbillpaul Member Posts: 103
    The higher the speed rating, the shorter the tread life. Also, as I stated, front tires will wear more quickly, so a pair of front tires will need replacing sooner if not rotated (I don't rotate).
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    Need to know if this is a major issue ... while sitting idle in my garage, I noticed when I put our 2007 EXL V6 Accord (~54K miles) in reverse, there was a high pitch hissing sound. Also heard the sound when putting the gear in drive. Is this a transmission related issue, possibly with the clutch? Can anyone shed some light on this? I've heard that if there is any problem with Honda's transmission, they don't repair it, they replace it. If this is not related to the transmission, what actually would need to be repaired?
  • roberts5roberts5 Member Posts: 35
    I would like to replace the spark plugs on my 2003 Accord LX - I4. The mileage has been dropping down to 23 mpg which was 25 on the last tank of mainly city driving. I have 80000 miles on it now. I purchased the recommended NGK irridium plugs. I was about to install, but I could not find in the owner's maual any info. about the gap required. Might anyone have gap requirements? I would greatly appreciate it. Happy Hondaring.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Gap

Except: LX-PZEV, EX-PZEV, EXL-PZEV 1.0 - 1.1 mm (0.039-0.043 in)

For: LX-PZEV, EX-PZEV, EXL-PZEV 1.2 - 1.3 mm (0.047-0.051 in)

Torque 18 N.m (13 lb.ft)

TYPE:
    NGK: IZFR6K11
    DENSO: SKJ20DR-M11
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    The NGK and Denso plugs should be gaped correctly right out of the box. No adjustment should be needed. It's a good idea to check it though, just to make sure it's in the range.
  • tankbeanstankbeans Member Posts: 585
    Aren't spark plugs good for 110k? I'm wondering if I should do mine, but I know that they're supposedly good for a lot longer. I'm at 71k.
    IIRC the gap measurements are also listed under the hood. At least they were on my 95. I haven't tried anything with the ones in my 03 since, supposedly, they're good for 110k and I'm not sure if the fact that it's a DOHC will make it more difficult to take care of.
    A lot of Honda experts have mentioned that the spark plugs CAN last 105k miles, but in some cases the plugs are worn enough before that point, to make an early change worth while. If your gas mileage has slipped a few mpg, new spark plugs could help. I am trying to wait until at least 80k miles to change them, but don't know if I can hold out that long. Depends on what mileage I get from the next few tanks of gas. Changing the plugs on the 4 cylinder should be easy as pie. The rear bank of cylinders, on the V6, are a challenge though.(long reach, and tight quarters). I'm not looking forward to setting the valves on the rear bank either.
  • sonny76sonny76 Member Posts: 1
    try using honda 100%SILICONE SPRAY.IT'S SAFE ON PAINT,PLASTIC,GLASS,RUBBER.THIS WORKED FOR ME,MUST REPEAT APPLACATION EVERY 3 MO. OR SO ,OTHERWISE HAVE RUBBER LINER REPLACED.
  • hondalovahondalova Member Posts: 189
    I'd bet that whoever was more sore at the end of the day was the one who did less driving - only the driver's seat has the lumbar support (as far as I know - I'm never a passenger in my car) - I believe the passenger seats do not.
    Personally, I'd peek at them before that. Spark plugs can sometimes give you good hints as to engine condition or overall efficiency.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    My car would not start the other day when it was about 0 degrees out. I was surprised as it is less than 3 years old. I think lots of short trips in real cold weather does not help as the battery does not get much time to charge after a stressful start.

Anyway, I decided to go old school and add some distilled water to the battery. It is the OEM maintenance free battery, but the covers do come off so you can add fluid. Since the water was added the battery has newfound vigor and where it used to crank slowly to start the car it now fires right up just like new - even in temps near zero. Going down to about -15 in a couple of days so that will be the real test.

Cost for New battery was about $80. cost for a gallon of distilled water was $.82 (only used about 8 oz).

Just thought I would share for anybody with a weak battery.
  • robgraverobgrave Member Posts: 65
    How exactly do you remove the cover of a maintenance-free battery -- pry it off with a screwdriver, or what? And then, how much water did you add?

Sounds like a very useful tip, really, one I could make use of myself, if only I had the confidence to know what I'd be doing. Never heard of refilling a maintenance free battery before, but if it works, hey, more power to the user.
  • jarnottjarnott Member Posts: 1
    For the past year I've been intermittently "locked" in my car. There is no special time when this occurs - it's been in cold weather and warm weather - after I've been driving for a while or after a quick trip.
    When I press the unlock button, the door lock pops up and down very quickly - there is not enough time to open the door. I have been "locked" in my car for as little as a few minutes to as long as 1 hour. I am able to manually pull up the passerger left side lock and crawl out the back. I called my local Honda dealership who said they are unaware of the problem and unless they can re-create it - it can't be fixed. Can anyone help me here? Today it happened when I was going for gas - locked in the car and it was 19 degrees!
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    .....spark plugs CAN last 105k miles, but in some cases the plugs are worn enough before that point, to make an early change worth while. If your gas mileage has slipped a few mpg, new spark plugs could help.

At 75k, recent MPG calc's are showing a slight decrease. I thought it was the winter blend fuel.

I'm vacillating between a new Acura 6M and budgeting for the labor intensive big
    time 105,000 mile service for my Accord 6M coupe.

Would it be a fair statement that this service (timing belt/water pump et al, plugs, valve adjust could run me $1000 - 1200 at the friendly Honda dealer's sprinkled around our state capital?

season's best, ez....
    On my battery there are two rectangular "caps" that occupy the middle third of the battery. Pry them up with a screwdriver. This will expose the 6 openings into the battery. Fill each opening until water gets to the plastic sides of the openings (about an inch or so from the top of the battery). Replace the two caps and you are done.

Love cheap fixes. When the alternator went out on my Integra at 130k miles I just replaced the brushes for $6 - still going strong at 240k.

Most repair places want to replace the whole part these days. More profit in an expensive repair - and probably less chance of return with a whole new part.
    I will definitely give it a try. Sounds so simple to do, even the mechanically-challenged (like me) couldn't mess up.

Winters are a problem, no doubt, with these newer cars and their smallish batteries. I make it a point to take a long run (30 or so miles cruising at 60 or better) at least once a week, weather permitting. And -- I think -- it's a good idea to at least start up the car and let it idle for about 20 minutes each day, rather than let it sit two or three nights in a row in freezing temps. The idling probably does little in the way of recharging, but it just might slow down the battery-drain that would occur otherwise.
    Forgive me for sounding like an idiot, but how difficult is it to get at the plugs? In my 95 I could see them from the front and thus could reach in and pop them out, but with this one I know it's DOHC and a little different. I'm trying to learn to do general things myself so I can save some money in the long run.

Thank you for your help. This website has proven very helpful over the couple of years that I've been using it.

Also, I have been noticing that I'm getting lower mileage than I was at this point last year and wonder if it might be time for new plugs and stuff. Last year around this time, under similar driving conditions and distances (I've since changed jobs and don't have an identical drive) I was getting 23-25 during the winter. The last few tanks I've gotten 19-21. NOT very good in my opinion.

FWIW I'm now just over 71k and would like to know if there are any small things that I can do in order to perhaps increase mileage a little. I live in MN so defrost is virtually a must for most days. Any tips or ideas. Thanks.
    Which engine do you have? You have a 2003 LX right? 4 or 6 cylinder?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    He has he 2.4L 4-cyl I think...
    Oh okay, he has the coil over spark plug system. So he has to remove the coils first to get at the plugs.
    You would be correct.

Mr. Shiftright, is it difficult to get at the coil?
    Tankbeans,
    Remove the four nuts holding the coil cover on (cover on top of the engine, with four chrome nuts) . Remove the bolts holding the coils down, then unplug the wire connectors by releasing the locking tabs on the connectors. Pull the coils out gently. You will need a spark plug socket to get the plugs out (I prefer the magnetic type). Any questions? The procedure is in the 03 owner's manual, but I don't know if your manual has this. Good luck.
    ...I'm wondering if any of you guys have any ideas about how much repairs might cost to replace the front bumper and a smashed headlight? I was recently involved in a minor accident and sheared off my front bumper as well as smashed a headlight.

I've been trying to get in touch with the repair facility and they haven't had time to really respond. I'm just curious if you have any ideas so I can know what to expect.

I'm wondering if winter tires are in order?
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    I've parked my 04 Accord in the garage and don't drive it for the winter due to the use of road salt here in WI. I leave the battery in, start it once a month, and keep a battery maintainer trickle charger connected between starts. This has worked fine and have done this since the car was new. I had noticed in late fall the hygrometer "eye" was showing yellow even after driving the car for hours. I did check the water level, and it was fine. I planned on changing the battery in Spring, and will let the old one stay while in storage.

Well today I decided to change oil on my winter truck, and since it was 16 degrees outside, I figured I'd do it in the garage and turn the furnace on. I needed to back out the Accord for the room. Although it wasn't a total surprise, when I hit the key in the Accord, the battery was dead. I still wanted to use the garage, but I don't want to jump start a frozen battery, so I took it out as well as the plastic battery box. I got another older and much larger battery that I kept when I replaced the battery in my winter truck, and figured I would try to see if it fits. I was surprised that not only did it fit in the car without the box, but there was room to spare. I was able to use it to get the car started.

So, now that I see there is alot of room without the Factory battery box, am I asking for trouble if I upgraded to a larger battery? I would need to find another battery tray, and would loose the factory box. I would also need to change the top clamp to a wider one, but may be able to use the factory hold down bolts since the metal factory tray is wide enough that the holes for the hooks are still visible. I would have to do some measuring to make sure I could close the hood completely.

The only thing I'm concerned about is heat. The factory box may help reduce the battery heat, but it doesn't have any intake duct on it to draw in cooler air, so I wonder how much it really does. Since my Accord is an I4, there isn't much close by that's radiating heat except for the radiator/condenser.

Even if I don't upgrade to a larger battery, it's nice to know that in a pinch, a larger battery does fit.

Mrbill
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,511
    I have priced a new bumper a few times (might has a whole and some cracks from a parking lot bump). To do it right, it was ~$600 for a new piece, painted and installed (unfortunately Honda doesn't sell them pre painted, in which case it would be a DIY project).

The headlight unit? Well, with the bumper off, it should be a pretty easy change out, but I am guessing the part is expensive.

Oh, not really. Quick google search, and found a place that has it for about $65, shipped free. Even has a bulb. Easy to install too.

headlight

For the battery, I just replaced mine, and was surprised that I could only get a lower line (440CCA) model at walmart. None of the fancier 600+ ones like I put in my Odyssey.

If you have an '04 on the original POC, it is way past it's expiration date!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Battery -

The distilled water addition seems to have done the trick my battery started the car this am in -30 degrees (no wind chill). When I priced batteries at Walmart they had an $80 battery for the Accord with higher cca.

Ironic - I just hit a deer the other day and not too much damage, but it was the bumper cover and one headlight. I will know exactly how much it costs as soon as I hear back from insurance. I will probably do the repairs myself to save a little dough. I will have the cover painted professionally though.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Ouch, sorry to hear that, Dud. :sick:
    -30 with no wind chill? Yikes! Yeah, I'd say your refill solution was a success!

Question: how much driving did you do after the refill? I'd have thought a fair amount of highway cruising would have been required to bring the battery up to something close to full charge. Or am I mistaken?
  • jake90jake90 Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a 2003 honda accord EX coupe V4 with 2 door which has been in an accident before with deployed airbag. both passenger and driver sides. am looking forward to replace it. can someone help me find which other honda makes' airbag can fit in mine correctly? better still can someone help me find one at a cheaper price.
    Even though it has a bulb would you recommend replacing both bulbs so the car doesn't shine with uneven brightness? Hopefully the repair facility will call me tomorrow with an update. It's been there since Thursday and I haven't heard word one.

Sorry about your car as well Dudley. I'm thinking my next car will not be Silver. It seems that Silver is my unlucky color. Something stupid has happened to it each year I've had it. This will be the second new bumper cover in as many years.

First one was due to a hit and run in the parking lot at Walmart. I was inside and somebody took out my bumper. It was a nice 18 in jagged crack that couldn't be repaired.
    Thanks for the support guys - traumatic to get that first sickening crunch. With all the snow we have had in SD the deer are just like large rats running around town jumping in front of cars etc. They can't find food in the fields. Last year they were so many that police were shooting them in town.

We only got about 20 inches in the x-mas storm and the new years storm, but the wind is making huge drifts and they are packed hard. Hard enough that my kids can walk up them and get on the roof of my neighbors garage.

And yes I did run the car for a long time after putting water in the battery and I took a 450 mile trip the next day (the day the deer attacked).
  • easye2easye2 Member Posts: 26
    Hi everyone. I am having trouble with the wheels that came standard with the 04 EX-L 4 cylinder...they are experiencing a severe amount of corrosion. I get my car washed on a fairly regular basis and can't figure out why this is happening. It has even become bad enough where it caused a slow tire pressure leak in one of my tires. Is this a flaw in these wheels/rims? Any advice or help on what to do is much apprciated. I do have a 7 year extended warranty with Honda Care that expires this coming September. Thanks...
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    Speaking of silver I hear you loud and clear. We had snow here last friday and while it was snowing I took our 07 SE out to get the paper and lottery tickets. Saturday morning the doors would not unlock with the remote; putting the key in the drivers door didn't work either. We called the dealership and the service manager talked me thru the trunk to unlock a back door. We went over to the dealership and the service manager put some WD40 in the door lock. Since then we have to wait until noon for the remote to work.
    This is our only car and the ealiest date a loaner is available is thursday, so we have a service appointment then to have it fixed. The original 3/36 warranty is still in force, thank god for that. :sick:
  • roberts5roberts5 Member Posts: 35
    Has anyone has a problem with a gas leak. I smell gas most every time I get in the car. It has 80,000 miles on the odo. The first 1/4 tank goes much faster than normal. I saw a 4" stain just below the gas tank this afternoon. I called Honda service and they did not admit to have hearing about this problem. My gas mileage has dropt by 2-3 mpgs. I understand there is a service door under the back seat. Hopefully, the gas tank will not have to be removed. Should the fuel filter and/or pump be replaced while I am in the gas tank?
    I greatly appreciate hearing about any ideas or suggestions?
    Happy Hondaring!
    John
    Ouch. I'm very sorry to hear about that. I suppose I'm lucky that MN is fairly hilly and breaks up some of the wind so that drifts don't get too bad. Also, I guess I'm lucky that deer stay away from where I'm at in the burbs. Hopefully your car is okay.

Mine will feel better after $3800 in repairs. :sick: They have to replace a wheel, which I guess hit pretty hard on the guard rail, the front bumper (I guess there were 3 pieces that got damaged), the front grill, front headlight and headlight bracket, and I guess there was some damage to the fender. Luckily insurance will cover most of it, save my $1k deductible.

I hate black ice.
    Just got my estimate and they left out the cracked headlight. They have about $1400 for a new bumper cover and a small dent on the quarter panel. I imagine a new headlight assembly would add $300 to that.

A little less damage than you tankbeans, but I don't really feel lucky.

Did your estimate say it was ok to use non honda parts?
    Yep. I initialed the little line stating that non-oem was fine. I figure the parts are identical and the non-Honda parts have a lifetime warranty whereas OEM parts don't. I also figured the car is 7 years old and I'm not too concerned about everything being factory. I would have gotten it back today, but they sent it to paint.

I love winter and I hate winter. Especially black ice, and I think I read somewhere that they did a survey of drivers in our country and it said that Minnesota drivers, twin cities in particular, were the 3rd rudest in the country so our winter driving gets fun.

I'm hoping that this is the last foray into a body shop for my car. It's getting a little tiresome. If it keeps up I might unload it before I hit my goal of 200k.
  • austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    Hello, everyone. I recently traded my 04 Accord LX 4 cyl. for an 07 Accord SE V6. I'm happy with the car overall, but have a couple of questions for those of you with experience with this model.

I wasn't prepared for the harsher ride in this model, which I guess is mainly attributable to the 17" alloys with lower profile tires. Or is there a tighter suspension in this model vs. my old LX? Anyway, if it's the wheels, I'm going to ask my service rep about installing a set of the 16" alloys that come on the SE 4 cyl. models, since they have a little higher profile tire. I don't know if there are any issues involving the brakes, etc., where the 16" wheels might not work on this car.

Just wondering if anyone has gone that route, and with what success.

It also seems to me the transmission doesn't shift as smoothly as in my 4 cyl. model, especially going from third to fourth under light acceleration, when I sometimes get a kind of thud as it drops into fourth.l My rep and service manager have driven it, said they noticed something once, but pronounce it operating normally. And it does shift fine under steady acceleration. Is this just a characteristic of this model, do you think?

Also had really bad, annoying, sometimes almost constant rattles coming from the tiny front speakers up in each corner of the dashboard. They put some foam tape in, and that helped. Anyone had this problem, and gotten a better fix?

I appreciate any feedback. I like the increased power of this model, and the redesigned rear end. I got it from a Honda dealer as a certified Honda, so it has great warranties, and had only 13000 miles on it, so it's really like new. Light blue with gray interior.
  • grampy1grampy1 Member Posts: 140
    I noticed the firmness in the ride to,but after talking to other owners,i came away with belief that the tires,wheels,and tighter suspension are normal for the 6's. The slight hesitation you speak of can be eliminated with just shifting into D-3 around town.
    What was the tire pressure? Lowering it could help if it is too high. Sacrilege to me as I run 40 psi and like the ride, but I have an I4 with 60 series tires.

Not crazy about the ultra low profile tires showing up these days. Even some more pedestrian cars like GTI, Matrix Sport and some others are running 40 series and they look silly, are expensive to replace, and easy to damage. I actually went to 15" tires (65 series) with my snows because of the harsher winter conditions.

The ironic thing is those super low profile tires weigh more and hurt performance and mpg.

I bet you would find plenty of people who would trade their I4 rims/tires for your V-6 rims and even give you a little cash.
    I wasn't prepared for the harsher ride in this model, which I guess is mainly attributable to the 17" alloys with lower profile tires. Or is there a tighter suspension in this model vs. my old LX?

The V6 suspension is stiffer, and I'm sure the 17" wheels don't help the ride either. I have an 03 V6, with 16" wheels, and the ride is fine for me (subjective).
    Hello all -

I just got my car back. I'm very happy about that. Would you guys think that I would be smart to replace both of my turn signal lights? The one that had to be replaced is a considerably paler orange than the other one. I figure if I replace them both I will get the same color on both sides and my car won't look lopsided. Also I'm not sure if the color on the one side is precisely legal considering it isn't orange (well amber, but you all know what I mean). The police in our state tend to get a little uppity if the lights aren't exactly the right color. I got a ticket for having blue fog lights.

Thank you for all of your help.
  • silviodsilviod Member Posts: 13
    the vibration can be just a tire balance needed and the pulling to the left might need a alignment. i have to get one for my honda. I am experiencing the same issues and its a balance and alignment.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I'd think your body shop should do that, but that's just me.
    Tire pressure is Honda specs, I think 32 psi. No wiggle room there -- if I lowered it anymore, I'd be running on the rims. Even at 32, the front tires have that flat look.

It's amazing how low profile some of the tires are these days, especially on the performance cars. The tire winds up looking like just a little strip of rubber. I wish Honda had treated the SE as more of a family sedan than a sport sedan and put higher profile tires on it.
    Ride is subjective, I agree, and I like a firmer ride compared with pillowy, like my former car, a '96 Buick Regal. The tires on my 04 LX were 205/60, and the ride was definitely more cushioned than my SE, but still a firm overall feel to the suspension. That was a good compromise, I thought. With the SE, and its 215/50 tires, I really feel every little imperfection in the road.