Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    For anybody with a stick shift.

I just went through a creaking clutch issue. I saw that some people were getting the master cylinder replaced - on another board.

It turns out that a liberal application of white lithium grease in a spay can does wonders when applied to the plunger below the pedal and the spring up above. Spray works well because it gets to the hard to reach areas. Clutch now feels as good as new with 90k miles. No more clicking/creaking/groaning when being depressed. or released.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,488
    well, if you had asked, I could have told you this.

I did go through the sueaky clutch syndrome (while under warranty), and got a new clutch master cylinder (hey, it was free, so why not).

Then, about a year ago (out of warranty) is was squeaking again. Told the service writer. He proceded to get a can of spray lube, disappear into the footwell for a minute, and came out saying it was fixed. He did what you said, sprayed the linkage and rubber parts. SInce then, not a peep.

It never impacted the feel or performance. It was just annoying. But not any more!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I did the procedure (left the batt unplugged for 30 min) and it appears to have worked. Originally I could go 30+ miles before the gauge left the top most position. Then, when I got a new battery (before the ILP) that number dropped to 18-22 miles or so. Tonight, it took 38 miles.

I think it worked. I'm taking a highway trip Friday and will let you all know.

Thanks alamocity!
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Hope it works for you, glad I could be of help.
  • mentiyamentiya Member Posts: 17
    Hello, I have a 2006 Accord Coupe Ex V-6. Just the other day I went to auto-recline the seat and when I went to return it to its proper upright position, it started making a clicking noise and stopped half way up. After messing around with it for a while I got it to go back up, but now the seat will not recline at all. It is stuck in its position. The seat still power slides forward and backward and up and down, but it will just not recline or come forward. Just wondering if anyone has an idea of what this could be? It seems weird that for a 2006 I would be experiencing problems like this. I had a 98 Accord and just sold it last year and never had any power seat troubles. Thank you to anyone with a little insight.
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    My wife's accord ran flawlessly for the first 4 years. However, after the manufacturer's warranty expired, we had the problems listed below. Fortunately, I purchased the Honda 7 year/100K extended warranty and am I glad I did.

Fan Motor Replaced in 2009 @ about 55K miles.

Navigation System Replaced in 2009 @ 60K miles.

Transmission failed & replaced in 2010 @ 66K miles.

Navigation System not recognizing voice commands and I will schedule for service.

We have 67K miles on the accord and given the failures we've had, I would be hard pressed to purchase another Honda. Had I not purchased the extended warranty, I would have been hit with repair bills exceeding $6,000.
  • edhollowedhollow Member Posts: 8
    Re:#5386 by dan41
    Yeah, it certainly makes you gun-shy, wanting to invest in another Honda Accord, or whatever; after such major repairs with less than 100,000 miles. We had to replace our transmission at 170,000 miles, even after a maintenance program of every 15,000 mi ATF fluid "change-out"!! Especially after hearing from Honda & non-Honda people, that this powertrain was "bulletproof". Tidbit of news: You can purchase an extended warranty for new or used vehicles up to 150,000 miles, bumper-to-bumper, through AAA; just read it in their magazine, Highroads, Sept/Oct 2010 issue/Call 877-943-3539 or visit "AAA.COM/WARRANTY" to receive a quote. Hopefully, this may give you the piece of mind, needed, especially since you have already invested time and money, and were looking for that Honda assurance and dependability.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. I see extended warranties as a complete waste. I bought the extended warranty for my 92 EX, and never needed it. The only out-of-pocket repair that car had, after the regular warranty ran out, was an A/C temperature control knob (under $5), which cracked. When I bought the 03 EX V6 I quickly declined the offer of an extended warranty. It now has 80k miles on it, and I've only replaced a door lock actuator (under $40). Chances are, the extended warranty will cost more than the repairs needed in 100k miles. Honda has been very very good to me.
  • voicemailkingvoicemailking Member Posts: 83
    Hve a 2005 Accord EX V6, after big problems with the power failing it was determined the throttle body was the culprit. Had it changed at 99,000 miles, happened again today with 102,000, it is being re-fixed under warranty, but i am worried, mechanic said this has been the error being brought up with the computer, anyone else have anything like this??? Thanks in advance.
  • srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    I agree w/ elroy5 about the extended warranty on the Honda. Since 2004, Me, my wife, and dad have bought 3 new Honda cars - 2004 Accord I4, 2007 CR-V EX-L, 2007 Accord I4. Never bought the extended warranty. On my 2004 Accord, in early '09, had a problem w/.. something after the engine w/ the accord well over 100k miles. I think it was somewhere w/in a hundred to a few hundred to fix. Otherwise nothing out of that. With my 2007 Accord, I messed up some rubber seal or something when I was standing out of my sunroof to do something and since I finally got around to taking it to the dealer just a little bit after warranty expired, they split the cost of with me making my total $50

The 2004 Accord (bought 4/2004( is at a little over 166,371 miles and the 2007 accord (bought 9/2007) is at a little over 36,611 miles. Not sure what the CR-V is at.

The extended warranties would have been a waste for me on two cars so far.. mostly a waste on another - but still have a ways to go w/ mileage so could be wrong on that.
    I'm a little confused - what's this whole idle learn procedure all about? I have a 2004 accord i4 sedan, 2007 i4 coupe, and 2007 cr-v ex-L. Bought all new
    lilengineerboy: Thanks for the information on shocks, some good lessons learned with your write-up. I'm handling the maintenance for 4 cars between my wife and family. On our two higher mileage cars, 2004 Accord (166k+) and 2007 CR-V (70kish? 80kish?) haven't done anything w/ shocks.

daveturner: I've bought from tirerack before and had a fine experience. Also have used tirerack.com to get prices down from local B&M places. My favorite place to go when replacing all 4 tires is wal-mart. I feel their price is low and you can come back for a tire balance and rotation for a lifetime
  • intckintck Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,

i have been going through the past posts of this forum and they are great.

I just bought an used 06 accord lx. the car is in good condition and has under 40k miles on it. I wanted to know, is there anything which is not alerted by the Maint Minder system? I have had a bad experience car shopping with dealers so i dont trust them now so i thought i might get to know this here.

Also, i was a bit disappointed that TPMS is not standard on 06 accord. I saw these cheap 5$ valves at the store which indicate if the tire pressure if below/above 27psi. are they reliable? i am a lil nervous because when you fix them, the tires valve will be open 24/7 and the tires will have to depends on these fixtures. whats a good way of monitoring tire pressure?

Cheers! :):)
    have not ever used those caps, but I know what you are talking about.

Simplest solution is to get a good quality digital gauge, and just check them on a regular basis. Do it weekly at first to get a baseline, and if all the tires seem to hold air normally, even once a month should be sufficient, unless you do really high miles per week.

Other than that, visually inspect them frequently for damage, or a noticeable sag (though it would have to be real low to stand out).

Also check them before you take any longer trip, and especially when the weather changes (coming up fast in the NE!). tires can lose ~1# per 10 degree temp drop, so they may be fine at 80, but 5#low at 30.

always check them cold. I like to check cold, then hot the same day to see how much they expand. Then you can make a mental adjustment if you have to check or add air when they are hot.

also, the simpler versions don't actually tell you that your tires are low. they basically tell you that 1 is different than the others. So, if all your tires are low but evenly so, no warning.

the fancy ones actually take individual readings, which is much more worthwhile IMO

edited September 2010
    Replying to the last post I made (back in 2/22/2010) regarding my old (now my sister's) 2004 Accord I4 EX Sedan. At the time, the car was at something over 152,124 miles. I had discussed the oil change I just had done along w/ the tire rotation and balance from walmart. I took it to Firestone w/in a couple weeks after to have the alignment done along with a list of inspections that I pulled ahm-ownerlink.com. They were:
    150,000 mi Scheduled Maintenance: Inspect drive belt
    140,000 mi Scheduled Maintenance:
    Check front and rear brake wear
    Check parking brake adjustment
    Inspect tie-rod ends, steering gearbox, and boots
    Inspect suspension components
    Inspect driveshaft boots
    Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS)
    Inspect all fluid levels and condition of fluids
    Inspect exhaust system
    Inspect fuel lines and connections

As far as I know, all these things were fine (I took care of all service items/inspections before then). I don't have that write up on me.

Today the car was at 166,371 miles. I finally took car of the air filter and cabin air filter (not sure when the last time I took care of them was - I think something in the 120k miles). Not sure when I grabbed the Cabin air filter but the air filter was $23.95 from the dealer after being priced down as low as possible for them to match handa-accessories.com's online price of $20.49.

Also today, had taken the car to Firestone to have the alignment done (Have lifetime alignment from them, had the tire rotation and balance done - also free lifetime from walmart - I believe in August. Like to have alignment after rotation and balance). According to the printout, It was taken from -.07 total toe/.02 steer ahead front, .32 total toe/0.0 thrust angle rear to -.05 total toe/.01 steer ahead front and .05 total toe .01 steer ahead. There was something about aftermarket parts for a correction but it wasn't needed? My brother picked it up so I'm not sure. In the paperwork, there's a printout which has the following:
    Front camber: Nothing
    Front Caster: Nothing
    Front Toe: Nothing
    Rear Camber: honda/Acura EZ Arm XR - 2 options: 67290 (Specialty Products) / 5.67290k (Eibach)
    Fear Toe: Nothing
    Ride Heigh: 4.4540 (Eibach) Sportline Performance Lowering Springs

Quite of things going on in the car according to Firestone. Will be taking to Honda dealer today for an oil change so I'll hear their opinions. then I'll go with whoever's the better option:
    1) Brakes and Rotors - the biggest thing.
    - QC537 Ceramic Disc Brake pads PD537 ($69.99) + R Disc brake rotor(2x$105) + $90 labor = $369.99
    - QC914 Ceramic Disc Brake Pads PD914 ($59.99) + Brake Rotor (2x$68.99)+$90 labor = $287.97
    These are pretty dead. Looking at the visual inspection writeup:
    LF: 85% worn/.901 rotor, RF 85% worn/.900 rotor/LR95% .301 Rotor/101?%worn Grooved .290

If I go w/ the dealer for the brakes, they'll be Honda OEM. If I go w/ Firestone, I'm not sure who they'll use. I'm torn on what's best, this post from lilengineerboy stood out to me amongst quite a few posts discussing this.

2) Battery (Marginal) at $94.99 + $15 labor - My brother mentioned jumps have been needed lately. This I've gotten from Sears I'm not sure how many years back - I want to say in or before '07 because I remember being upset I didn't take the battery to dealer because I thought I read something about a warranty full replacement.

3) Brake Fluid flush (test strip failure) - $20 parts, $60 labor, $23 addition labor to bleed ABS - $103. I already knew this because I'm pretty sure last one was around 3 years ago (car's 6 years old so makes sense). I've purchased two bottles of the Honda Brake Fluid so I'm hoping that'll soften the blow of price. At Firestone alone, it would knock off $20 from the parts cost (however, when I brought up, they said it must be parts they acquire - however, for my '07 CR-V brake fluid flush I had done a few months back, they did allow me to bring in my own brake fluid and made the cost $80ish I believe).

4) Serpentine/700K7Poly Rib belt - $46.99 parts + $100 labor = $146.99 - not sure what this is all about

5) Fuel System Flush suggested- cost? - not sure what this is all about

6) Headlight - 9006 halogen capsule $13.99 + $30 labor

They also mentioned tires but I'll cover those in a separate post.

Seems that's all that was checked, they didn't do a Complete Vehicle Inspection. Usually if I ask for it they will for free instead of the $20 since I'm a gold rewards member.

Lastly, there's a mention that the maintenance and ABS lights are on. The ABS light has been on for a while. The maintenance light should go away once the next oil change today. The oil changes I supply my own oil (Mobil 1) and Honda oil filter so it keeps the costs low. I was going to go w/ Mobil 1 5w-20 instead of the 5w-30 based on the discussion that followed from my last post ( lilengineerboy's post and tankbean's post) but I only had the 20 on me. I'll get back to the 5w-20 next time.

It's also worth mentioning that I've pushed this oil around 14k miles - usually I aim for not much above 10k miles. I didn't mean to, just lost track

I've also mentioned all the things Firestone has pointed out in a letter. And also, as per ahm-ownerlink.com's maintenance schedule: 160,000 mi Inspect idle speed - I've asked them if they can look into it (assuming the costs aren't too bad).

Let's see what happens.
    Just did a long post on what's going on w/ my 2004 Accord EX I4 at 166,3xx miles. I didn't get into details of the tires though. I have a separate chain of posts going regarding that so I thought I would keep it up. I'm replying to my last post on the tires where I discovered that my dad had put on 4 Goodyear P205/55R16 89H Eagle RS tires.

Right now, the tires are seem to be fine - at least according to the Firestone Courtesy Check. The front outer/inner is at 5 and the rear outer/inner is at 6.

in lilengineer boy's reply to that post, he mentions the downsides of having the smaller tire. He also mentions the limited options for 16" tires and what I could do with 17" tires (I didn't know that was an option - but wouldn't that also cause problems like the smaller size?). chucko3 also mentions that these tires were downgraded in both: speed rating & load index and that's probably why they wear out faster.

I'll start looking into replacement options through this thread
    I did a pretty detailed post on my old (now my sister's) 2004 Accord a couple hours ago. I mentioned I took care of the air and cabin air filter in it yesterday. At the same time I took care of both filters in my wife's 2007 Accord I4 coupe too. The cabin air filter I grabbed a few days ago at the Dealer for $28.13 - the guy wouldn't match or even reduce the price any to handa-accessories price of $12.45 (at least as of the 6/26/10 printout I brought w/ me). I need to make sure I stock up on the cabin air filters because it's over double the price to get the OEM filter from the dealer. The Air filter I had picked up a while back at a price not too far from handa-accessories.com's price.

I posted last back in June about this car (this post is a reply to that). Back then, it was about what my next move was going to be reagarding the oil change and inspection. At the time of that post, the car was at 32,723 miles. Finally 33,611 miles I took care of the oil change from the dealer for $34.09. I really should learn how to do my own oil change so I can save some money, but at least I also got the multi-point inspection which I think addressed all the items which should have been covered according to that Edmunds site.

No problem issues. The main items covered and marked satisfactory were battery, fluid levels, external drive belts/radiator hoses, brake lines/hoses/parking brake cable, shock/struts/suspension/tie rod ends/steering gear, exhaust, and drive shaft boots. The tires are still in good shape at 7/32

As far as I know, as of then and now, there's nothing else to cover.

The other noteworthy thing happened after I was standing through the sunroof one day for something and I messed something up because after that, on the highway, there was a small windnoise coming in. Finally got around to taking it to the dealer on 8/30 at 36,391 miles - AFTER my warranty just expired. So they said they'd meet me halfway on the cost and just charge me $50 to reinstall the sunroof seal.
    Not too far behind you with my old (now my sister's) 2004 Accord I4 sedan. Today when I did the air filter and cabin air filter change, the car was at 166,371 miles. Been Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic since 30k miles I think or something around there. And I do 10k miles in between oil changes. According to the manual, you can do 10k in between oil changes w/ even just Honda oil. And other "big" items like coolant, transmission fluid didn't even show up til 120k miles.

Only unexpected thing so far has been an Internal failure of the Canister Shut valve which occurred in November, 2008. The car was at 122,566 miles at the time and the cost was $300ish or something (I got it lower w/ a $100 off coupon I randomly had for that dealer).
  • edhollowedhollow Member Posts: 8
    With regards to your air & cabin filters; Look for NAPA monthly specials on oil and air and cabin filters. NAPA Gold air filters can be had for free; or $10 to $15 apiece. Oil filters can be bought from free (as in 2nd filter free), to $5 apiece, as in their most recent August '10 monthly special. Cabin filters can be had for $10 apiece, in certain monthly specials, especially since you replace them every 15,000 miles---gives you time to plan & keep more "monies" in your pocket!! Pretty cool--hey? Hope this helps
    the fuel system item is probably them trying to sell you an overpriced but unneeded (and sometimes bad) fuel system power cleaning.

as to the 17" tires, you can go with them, but of course you need new wheels too, so will not be cheap. the V6 model came with 17", so there is a plus 1 size that will get you right about the same overall diameter. the 55 series ones with the same section width will be lower overall, one impact of which is screwing up your speedometer/odometer slightly.

not sure I would want the firestone dealer touching the idle speed (since it is no longer a little screw on the side of the carb!). not sure what there is to do other than look at the tach to make sure it is idling at the approriate speed, and evenly.

I had brakes done at Mr. Tire. did a nice job, and used upgraded aftermarket pads. and a lot cheaper than the dealer. With 166K on the clock already, I would not worry too much about having the dealer do this!

and the serpentine belt, if original, is probably on borrowed time. Look for dry rot/cracks, etc. As noted, not very expensive part, but can be a hassle in labor, but certainly DIY if you want to give it a try!

• tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    is there anything which is not alerted by the Maint Minder system?

That depends on who you talk to. :) Some don't like to wait that long for oil changes but that is an ongoing debate for all cars.

I think the next two things that I see most around here and elsewhere is changing brake fluid and changing transmission fluid. You may want to seek advice on those items and then decide how you will handle it on your car. Otherwise, I don't think people have any major issues with the Maint. Minder.
    is there anything which is not alerted by the Maint Minder system?

That depends on who you talk to. :) Some don't like to wait that long for oil changes but that is an ongoing debate for all cars.

I think the next two things that I see most around here and elsewhere is changing brake fluid and changing transmission fluid. You may want to seek advice on those items and then decide how you will handle it on your car. Otherwise, I don't think people have any major issues with the Maint. Minder suggestions. Although some have problems with the system in general and like to do things strictly on time and/or mileage.
    edited September 2010
    I wanted to post an update on my 2004 Accord I4 sedan and respond to some of the replies I have already gotten (thanks guys!)

The car had been left with a Honda Dealer here in Clarksville, MD. They got back to me this morning and the following have been handled.

1) Oil Change was $20 since I had my own oil and filter.

2) The brake fluid flush was $169.95 but then I told them that I had the fluid already in the trunk which took the price down to $125 for labor only. Then I made them aware of a 15% coupon I had and that made the total $85. I was ok with that, and that was along same lines as firestone's pricing assuming I could even convince them to use a part I didn't get from them (I mentioned they were giving me a hard time about this and they hadn't a few months ago w/ the '07 CR-V brake fluid flush).

3) They said with a $129 diagnostic fee they would hook my car to the computer and could take care of the ABS light and inspecting the idle speed in one shot. Luckily, a coupon saved me here also because I had a 50% off engine light check coupon so that took it down to $65.
    (Stickguy, you had some concern on only having the dealer handle idling speed in your post. I only intended to have this done at the dealer. )
    They just got back to me and said that regarding the ABS, the rear wheel sensor is needed and that's $232.

4) Headlight would be $15 and no charge for the labor. I mentioned I may already have a headlight inthe car passenger side that works and they said if it did, there would be no charge for it which I ws happy about because from what I understand, i's not easy to take care of the headlight (haven't done it myself yet on any of the hondas).

So all those item are being carried out right now. The total will be $191ish to $205ish depending on the headlight.

So here's what's not being handled by them right now which was mentioned earlier
    1) Brake light - they said it was $6 but I think I can handle that on my own. Just need to figure out what to grab and how much it would cost. Maybe I can just grab something from dealer when car is picked up.

2) The brakes-The verdict was severe on their end too. Replace rear rotors and pads. The front brakework is pads for sure, and they said they may or may not need new rotors but then looked closely and said they should be replaced.
    The cost breakdown is:
    Rear: $205 rotors + $80 pads + labor = $500ish more or less
    Front: rotors are $17 each more + pads and labor similarly priced = $34 + $500ish more or less - or (if the front rotors don't have to be replaced I'd be looking at $325is)
    What I don't know is the actual parts, assuming OEM.

Compare these costs to Firestone which I will most probably go with:
    Rear: wagner therma quietp pads ($69.99) + qualis rotors ($105 each) + $90 labor = $370
    Front: same brand pads ($59.99) + same brand rotor ($68.99) + labor ($90) = $290

Pretty decent savings in going with Firestone. If the dealer had said the the front rotors didn't need to be replaced and could just be resurfaced. I could then try to see if they would accept another local competitor coupon for a Honda dealer nearby which has a front brake special which includes resurfacing rotors for $189.95 (down from their normal cost of $250 which is still cheaper than this dealer.

(Stickguy, you mentioned how Mr Tire put in upgraded after market brake pads in your post. What kind of brake pads were they? Would you recommend I use them in my car?)

3) The battery was never brought up but pretty sure there really is an issue there and I want to try to see what sears would do with it anyways

4) serpentine belt never brought up so I called and left a message on that to hear the dealer's thoughts (thanks for making me aware of it in your same post stickguy), I don't recall seeing anything in the maintenance guides about it. The dealer got back to me and said it would be $175 to handle.

Regarding everything else that was brought up in the replies that I haven't covered:
    Stickguy, regarding your posts which I have referred to already, you also mentioned fuel system item, yeah I think it's probably junk too.

The only thing remaining is your tire feedback which I'll cover in my tire series of posts.

Edhollow, in your post, you gave some advice on cheaping out on the air filter and cabin air filter and oil filters. Thanks for the info, how do these compare to what I get from the dealer or handa-accessories.com? Also you mentioned replacing the air filter and cabin air filter every 15,000 miles but I do it every 30k miles.
    I forget now if they were wagner or raybestos. But they were a much higher line pad then standard (and claimed to be better than the less than stellar Honda OEM, aka crapola, pads). most of the brake job is labor, so spending $10-$20 extra on much better pads seemed like a smart idea. I just had the rotors redone (this was the back only).

dealer is very high for this job.

taillight bulbs is simple, but for $6, I would let them do it (then again, I am lazy).

The serpentine belt I believe is only listed as an inspect and replace if needed item. 160K, you are pushing your luck most likely, and that baby has given it's all.

Do the battery at Walmart. 1/2 the price of the dealer, and free install. They are also top rated by CR. get the higher output one if they have it, for maybe $10 extra.

I forgot to mention, I also had the brake fluid changed when the rear brakes were done (at 40K, about 3.5 years). Had a coupon, so it cost about $65? maybe a little more. I did not worry about the fluid. I know it was not honda OEM, but it was whatever grade it called for.

• pfield56pfield56 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX 4-Cylinder and 2 years after I bought it the radio light went out. I went to Honda about it, but because I didn't buy the extended warranty (because I paid cash for the car) they said it would cost me $800 to get it fixed! I finally had the radio replaced in 2008 and just last month (2 yrs. later) the light went out again. There seems to be only a 2 year life on their radio light. I wrote Honda a letter and they had some minimum wage worker call me to say it was just an isolated incident and it sucked to be me. What I want to know is HOW MANY MORE ACCORD OWNERS OUT THERE ARE HAVING TROUBLE WITH THEIR RADIOS? No way can this be just an isolated incident. I love my car, but I WILL trade it for a Toyota or Nissan, because I love their cars too.
  • woogie03woogie03 Member Posts: 4
    This is NOT isolated. Mine went out two years ago. Honda did have a recall, but only for a certain VIN number (and mine wasn't one of them). I called them and they will not do a darn thing about it and I won't buy another Honda again.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    edited September 2010
    If you were an original owner, you would have gotten one of these. It's a cheap fix, now that they aren't changing the entire radio. Just the Printed Curcuit Board. You should be able to get reimbursed for the charge on the first radio.

Good to know, in case my 2005 goes out!

actually, I would have tried this anyway. I had a nissan Quest, and it had the same flaw. Mine went bad after warranty period (and it did not occur to me to grovel with them). So, I went to a local fancy audio shop. They pulled the radio out, and resoldered the connections on the board, then put it back in. Cost maybe $100? way cheaper than replacing the expensive OEM head unit on the deluxe stereo we had.

• mcadrechamcadrecha Member Posts: 46
    I am having a problem with my electronic sun roof. It worked intermittently and now it does not work at all, being frozen in the open position. Has anyone else had this probem?

Thanks,

Michael
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Check your fuses and then if you know how, bypass the sunroof switch or at least read the voltage to it. If fuses and switch check out, it might be the motor.
    Thanks for the tip. I did that and found the fuse to be OK. So, it must either be the switch or the motor. When you say bypass the sunroof switch, what do you mean by that?
    Well I meant bridge it with a wire as if it weren't even in the circuit---go around it, in other words, so that the current is no longer interrupted by the switch. If the sunroof suddenly comes to life, well then you know it was the switch most likely.

Or at least test both sides of the switch with a test light, to make sure current is going through it.
    Thanks for the tip! I will try it out.
  • sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    How many miles have those with 2003-2007 series 4 cylinder manual Accords gone before needing to replace the clutch? I'm at 125+ K miles and mine feels like it is starting to go. :sick:
    I'm only at 85k on the original so it will be awhile. My 95 Accord EX lasted over 200k before I had to do anything. Of course, I did have to replace a couple of clutch master cylinders during that time. :sick:
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    A clutch is one thing that it's life can be dramatically different driver to driver. I had a relative who liked to rev the engine while releasing the clutch pedal. He only got 26k out of his clutch. Another friend had the same car and got over 200k before he sold it with the original clutch. How you drive the car can make a big difference.

Mrbill
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    91k on my 2007 clutch and it feels better than new (since I lubed the linkage).

Never had to replace a clutch before - 230k on my Integra and the clutch feels fine.
    edited September 2010
    Clutch wear factors (in my opinion), in order of importance:

1. Driver
    2. Geography
    3. Design of the car's powertrain & weight

So, worst case scenario----unskillful driver, San Francisco, car with low-torque engine and economy differential carrying passengers.
  • biomanbioman Member Posts: 172
    My 04 EX V6 Coupe's battery died quite suddenly. I had been noticing some unusual behavior for months prior to the battery giving out. The Outside Temperature would frequently switch back to the odometer reading after shutting off the car and then re starting. The gas mileage decreased 2-3 MPG over a period of months. In addition, the cranking seemed to be slower than usual. When I checked the voltage with the car off I was getting reading of 12.4-12.6. After starting the voltage was ~14.6. I assumed that the battery was ok since the voltages indicated no problem with the battery or alternator. Of course I probably should have done a more testing, but I thought this was not necessary. Obviously I was wrong. Does anyone have an explanation of unusual outside temp behavior and the drop in mileage?? Since replacing the battery mileage is back to normal and the Outside Temp has stopped switching off.
    You could possibly have been tricked by funky battery connections or grounds. Sometimes erratic voltage from the battery will trick the car's computer.

Really, a "load test" is the only sure way to test a battery. Just ready voltage off it won't cut it. We could get you the same reading by putting flashlight batteries together, but they wouldn't start your car.
  • hondahurtinhondahurtin Member Posts: 2
    2005 Honda Accord 3.0 VTEC automatic Manufacture Plate 09/2004.
    Was running fine parked in garage as usual next morning started fine but would not accelerate above 2000 RPM or go forward above 20 to 25 MPH. Idles at 1200 sitting in PARK. TCS lights MIL and maint light all on. Battery tested low Replaced with new Battery $100.00. OBD2 Codes read Emission. Cleared codes, set security code. Attempted Idle Learn. NO SUCCESS. Towed to mechanic $100.00 said throttle body was bad replaced for 700.00,...mechanic (dealer) said needed new fuse box add $200.00,..No apparent fix?? Any ideas before ship sinks? Thanks for any help or assistance..
  • hondahurtinhondahurtin Member Posts: 2
    2005 Honda Accord 3.0 VTEC automatic Manufacture Plate 09/2004.
    Was running fine parked in garage as usual next morning started fine but would not accelerate above 2000 RPM or go forward above 20 to 25 MPH. Idles at 1200 sitting in PARK. TCS lights MIL and maint light all on. Battery tested low Replaced with new Battery $100.00. OBD2 Codes read Emission. Cleared codes, set security code. Attempted Idle Learn. NO SUCCESS. Towed to mechanic $100.00 said throttle body was bad replaced for 700.00,...mechanic (dealer) said needed new fuse box add $200.00,..No apparent fix?? Any ideas before ship sinks? Thanks for any help or assistance..
  • serenity185serenity185 Member Posts: 22
    Hey, everyone! I have to apologize in advance for my explanation of the problem since I'm not that familiar with the technical components of cars, and I'm trying to figure out the problem myself!

I purchased a 2007 Honda Accord EX 4-cyl auto a few months ago, and so far I've been very happy with it. However, over the past couple of weeks, I've noticed that when I accelerate, the car feels a bit slower than normal, and I feel a bit of a vibration in the pedal when I accelerate; the engine sounds a bit louder too. When I'm cruising on the highway, no big deal. After accelerating from a stop or just driving in the city- no matter whether the car is warmed up or not- I can feel the buzz, and the transmission seems delayed as well- I've been noticing the shifts have been rougher and more noticeable. Sometimes when I go 35mph on a flat city road and stopped pressing the gas pedal, I can feel/hear a bit of vibration and know that the car probably wants to upshift/downshift (?)

I wasn't quite sure what to make of the slightly louder,slower, and buzzier feel, so I resigned myself to thinking it was normal, but a few days ago I pulled out of my school's parking lot and was surprised when I practically flew out of the parking lot because the car felt much more responsive, and I got that smooth, quiet feeling back, at least for part of my drive. I looked at my RPMs, and it seemed the engine more effortlessly went to higher ones. The biggest difference I noticed was in that when I was going up a hill and had to pause for a moment, when I accelerated the car didn't feel like it missed a beat.

No check engine light on the vehicle came on- do you think I could have a problem with my transmission? Or could this be something very minor?

Thanks! This is my first Honda, and if this is just a small issue, it likely won't be my last since I'm otherwise very impressed with the vehicle.
  • bav_fan07bav_fan07 Member Posts: 68
    Hi there I'm not a car expert, but I do own a 2003 Honda Accord.

Do you know if you've had the transmission fluid changed? If not make sure this is being done every 60,000 miles (I think thats what it calls for).

Also, I would consider getting the throttle body cleaned. Like you said the problem seems to be minor...but to much carbon in the throttle body could affect acceleration.

I could be way off base on the what I've said above, but I believe they are items worth looking at.
    edited September 2010
    I thought I'd reply to tell everyone how the repairs finished off on my old (now my sister's) 2004 Accord I4. Last time I posted (what I'm replying to) was after a call I got from the dealer on what eveything would cost. So that same day (9/6), I had him finish off the repairs and the final price paid was $211.85.

Ultimately what was done was:
    1) oil change - $10.39, since I Brought in my own oil -
    2) complimentary inspection - $0
    3) the Idle speed inspection + the ABS service Light - $54.98 - due to the 50% off coupon I had - the idle speed was fine (now I have to figure out when I check it next since there's no more mileage intervals in the owner's manual/ownerslink) and regarding that ABS light, the right rear wheel speed sensor will need to be replaced and it will be $232.28 installed
    4) Brake fluid flush - $101.92- I mentioned the breakdown in my last post for this. It was supposed to be $170 but since I brought my own brake fluid it went down to $125, then another 15% off due to coupon was supposed to make it $85 (although the math isn't adding up right). They forgot to use my brake fluid but kept the price around where it should ahve been. I know it's a bit more, but earlier there is a savings of $10 randomly on the diagnostic thing I mentioned so it evened out.
    5) headlight -$13.35
    6) other fees-28.61-random admin serrvice fee, hazrd waste, and shop supplies added $28.61

So 2 of the items that were remaining I will take care of later:

1) the ABS rear wheel speed sensor mentioned already
    2) The drive belt ($175)

And the brakes had a final price of $1055 for both front and rear pads and rotors, which was too high for me. So I went to Firestone for that same day. Total was $628.27 w/ $162 in labor, $430.16 in parts, $9.72 in shop supplies, and $26.39 in tax. I saved 10% using a coupon I had.

The one other service item I didn't mention in my last post was my usual walmart visit for the complimentary lifetime rotation and balance. Something I've been doing.. I want to say for 100k miles now? That's usually how I kick off my 10k service cycle - walmart for the rotation balance, firestone for alignment, dealer for oil change. sometimes I'll do the oil change wherever but usually I keep this pattern. The visit to walmart was in august when the car was at 164470 miles.

Last interesting note. My sister hydroplaned today and hit a curb and now one of the front axles is all messed up. I'm assuming the tire is flat and rim is bent too. So.. this will be fun.
  • 4toms4toms Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Accord EX with 39000 miles on it. When I went in for the last oilchange, dealer service recommended a power steering fluid flush with a price tag of $115.00. Seemed way too expensive. Any idea of what the typical pricing is ? Is it common to have to flush PSF at such low mileage?
  • colkidcolkid Member Posts: 9
    edited October 2010
  • colkidcolkid Member Posts: 9
    edited October 2010
    I fixed them, I pulled the covers off and moved the light bulbs forward
    in the bulb holder. At one postion the lights came on one at
    a time. Understand this was an individual postion for each of the front
    courtesy lights.
    The have continued to work correctly for 3 days now. They didn't work for seven months.
    Thanks to all of you for the suggestions, I probably will have this
    problem again.
    REPLY to my original post of #5254